10 Easy Steps To Frozen Chocolate Banana Coconut Bliss

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 11, 2010

Hello there!

Disclaimer: By reading this post you agree not to hold me responsible for unappetizing looking photos. I really did try my best. Sometimes bananas covered in chocolate, just photograph…shall we say…slightly unappetizing?

You were warned.

However, I could not keep this recipe from you because it was just so easy and delicious!

Step 1: Grab a banana.

IMG_6784

The little black dress of fruit!

Step 2: Grab optional popsicle stick (see step 9).

IMG_6782

Step 3: Stick the optional stick into banana. If you don’t have a stick, wait patiently while your virtual friends do so. :whistle:

IMG_6785 (2)

Step 4: Now comes the fun part. Take 1-2 tablespoons chocolate chips and 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil. Put on a plate and melt in the microwave for 45-60 seconds, stirring well until clumps are gone.

You will have something that looks wildly delicious.

IMG_6787

Step 5: Take Banana and roll around in chocolate-coconut mixture. I could not find an easy way to do this, but maybe someone else can? I used my hands and got messy and just rolled it all around. I also used the spoon to scoop some chocolate over it. It wasn’t the best method, but it worked. Ideally, you would have a pot of melted chocolate to dip the bananas into, but for a single serving this worked!

IMG_6788

Step 6: Hot mess ensues.

IMG_6789

Step 7: Sprinkle it with coconut and pop it in the freezer for 2-4 hours.

IMG_6795

Step 8: Wait patiently.

Decide that you must leave the house.

Swim 30 lengths at the pool. Tread water for 5 minutes.

Repeat a new mantra: ‘Chocolate. Banana. Coconut. Chocolate. Banana. Coconut.’

IMG_6797

Step 9: Remove from freezer and take the first bite. Realize that the stick does not hold up the banana like you hoped. Toss stick and eat with hands. :biggrin:

IMG_6814

Step 10: Chocolate craving defeated.

~~

I’m off to watch Gossip Girl from last night. Have a great night!

Bridget May 11, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Those pictures looked a lot better than I expected. I could use one of those right now cuz it’s HOT out today!!

Kelly May 11, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Oh my gosh- I don’t think this looks unappetizing at all…in fact I really just want it RIGHT NOW

AngelaOSG May 11, 2010 at 7:42 pm

haha you should see the pictures I didn’t post!

mary May 11, 2010 at 7:48 pm

DELISH!

Kris May 11, 2010 at 7:55 pm

At least it didn’t fall off the stick and onto the floor :)

ashley May 11, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Bad photos? I’m confused…I must have missed them. That looks + sounds awesome!!!!!! That will be a perfect summertime treat! Love the photo with the bite out of it….NOM!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 11, 2010 at 8:01 pm

LOVE bananas covered in chocolate and coconut. Drool.

mal May 11, 2010 at 8:02 pm

the little black dress of fruit– SO TRUE!!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) May 11, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Things I love: bananas, chocolate and coconuts. Oh myyyy…!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin May 11, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I thought that pictures would be so much worse.. ha! That looks incredible! I can’t think of a better way to spread the chocolate.. the end product certainly looks delicious!

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary May 11, 2010 at 8:06 pm

All I can say is, HELL YEA! That looks so freakin amazing!! Nice work Ange, can’t wait to try this one out!!!

Karly (Becoming My Best Self) May 11, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Must. Try. Immediately.
Thanks for sharing! :D

[email protected] May 11, 2010 at 8:16 pm

how awesome that its step by step.. and can be done in 10. love it!! <3

Michelle @ H.E.R. May 11, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I ate this all the time when I was a little kid as an afternoon snack! Soooo good! I have never thought of adding coconut though what a great idea! Ill have to try it tomorrow after work. Thanks!

Lisa @bakebikeblog May 11, 2010 at 8:21 pm

oh my – that DOES sound yum!!!

Claire May 11, 2010 at 8:29 pm

This just looks crazy good to me! I can’t wait to try it soon!

Sarah for Real May 11, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Yum! That looks very easy and so good!

I’m going to have to get Gossip Girl from netflix me thinks… I have seen the first season but stopped watching, now I wish I hadn’t.

Tory May 11, 2010 at 8:43 pm

OH.My.GOSH.

Angela,
Can I fly over 1,000 miles and have you make me one? See, we don’t have any bananers here in the village! UGH. Saving this until Summer VACAY!

Thanks Dear, for the new, 0h-So-Delicious-Mouth-Watering tutorial!!

AngelaOSG May 11, 2010 at 9:17 pm

of course!

Melissa May 11, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Yum!!! Oh how perfect for summer! Thank you for sharing:)

Sarah @ cocoanutshakes May 11, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Are you serious with that?? Looks so good and not the least bit unappetizing!!! Genius!

This post had me cracking up =)

Amy May 11, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Oh my gosh, that looks like I want one right now! You’re too funny girl – the banana isn’t bad looking at all!

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches May 11, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Oh gosh. That brings me right back to several childhood vacations to the banana shack on Balboa Island (yes, there really was a banana shack there in real life and not just on Arrested Development…lol)! Chocolate-dipped frozen nanners are such a yummy summer treat.

Thanks for sharing, Angela!

AngelaOSG May 11, 2010 at 9:18 pm

A BANANA SHACK? omg I would die with delight.

Camille May 11, 2010 at 9:23 pm

My mouth is literally watering right now. You are killing me!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 9:35 pm

haha I love it Angela! That looks incredibly yummy!

Brittany May 11, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I don’t know what you’re talking about, the banana pictures are totally appetizing. So much so I want to make one right now!! xoxo

grace b May 11, 2010 at 9:42 pm

This looks DELISH! Will definitely be making these this summer!!

@Lindsay: A banana shack!? That’s AMAZING! Haha and not just for Mabe and George Michael…

Triathlonbabe May 11, 2010 at 9:52 pm

The only word I can say is…..YUMMY!

Lisa May 11, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Oh my god I want that!!! It looks so easy and delicious!

jenny (Green Food Diaries) May 11, 2010 at 10:40 pm

mmmm, looks SO good… oh how i wish i could eat one right now.

Leah May 11, 2010 at 11:00 pm

That looks amazing to me!
My aunt used to make us frozen chocolate covered bananas and I LOVED them. I can only imagine how perfect they would be with coconut!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) May 11, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I absolutely LOVE those!!! I get one every year at the fair that comes to Regina!!! I have never tried to make them at home though!!

Wei-Wei May 11, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Bliss is definitely the right way to describe this. I’ll definitely make this for dessert someday. :D Thanks for the recipe! :)

Wei-Wei

Danielle (Coffee Run) May 11, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Which of those photos looks unappetizing?? They all look delicious to me!

Enjoy Gossip Girl! I missed last nights episode :(

Natalie @ Keep It Sassy May 12, 2010 at 12:04 am

I have bananas and I have chocolate. No coconut. I may have to do a ‘taste test’ of with and without the coconut. I’m okay with that!

Ilana May 12, 2010 at 1:00 am

YUM.
that’s all I have to say.

Emmanuelle May 12, 2010 at 3:12 am

Unappetizing??? Then what must it be when it looks appetizing? Because I want one like NOW! :-D

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 12, 2010 at 3:46 am

YES! I am so excited. Something I can make in Mozambique!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Jill @ All Things Chocolate May 12, 2010 at 4:45 am

Oh I love chocolate covered bananas but my biggest problem is waiting patiently, I’d need to leave town!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 12, 2010 at 6:24 am

Oooh… yum!

Therese May 12, 2010 at 6:54 am

Damn you and your tasty eats!!!!

*stomps off to the kitchen*

“Where are my bananas!?!?!”

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 12, 2010 at 7:10 am

Step 11: Get over the fact that the teenagers on the street corner are laughing at you because you look ridiculous eating a banana on a stick.

…oh wait, maybe that was just me.

Brittany May 12, 2010 at 7:17 am

Hahah love the photo tutorial Angela! You should do this more often!
It looks delish btw!

Paige (Running Around Normal) May 12, 2010 at 7:45 am

I fell in love with frozen chocolate covered bananas at Disney World a few years ago. Ever since, I’ve tried making them, but they’re always so messy! I love the little half bananas covered in dark chocolate in the freezer section of the grocery store. I forget what they’re called though…bunnies maybe? LOL can’t remember.

Keri @ Baby Spinach Steps May 12, 2010 at 7:51 am

Holy YUM that looks tasty! Definitely going on the “to try asap” list.

: : Christine : : May 12, 2010 at 7:51 am

” Realize that the stick does not hold up the banana like you hoped. Toss stick and eat with hands. ”

You are TOO cute, honestly.

Niki Jackson May 12, 2010 at 8:02 am

Firstly wow! I love the new look over here, it’s the first time I’ve seen it since I usally read in google reader.

Your recipe looks so yummy, I’ll have to try it very soon! Thanks xx

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 12, 2010 at 8:07 am

You can’t go wrong with frozen banana. But chocolate and coconut makes it a gazillion times better. YUM

Teri May 12, 2010 at 8:25 am

Ha Love this! The way you did it made me smile! :)

Yummy!!!!!!!!!!

ens May 12, 2010 at 9:12 am

i love chocolate and coconut! this looks delicious!

Lauren M. May 12, 2010 at 9:13 am

Here in Southern California we claim to have the ORIGINAL frozen banana stand. I used to live right down the street and I would ride my bike to get a big one double dipped in chocolate and then rolled in rainbow sprinkles and chopped nuts.

Here’s a secret I picked up from them: They insert TWO wooden popsicle sticks into the bottom of the banana while it is still in the peel. This helps the banana keep its structure and two sticks makes a sturdy handle. They then peel the banana, freeze, and then dip into the chocolate.

Here’s a picture: http://www.papawow.com/storage/P7050060.JPG?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1247430005122
Oh Goodness…I wish I still lived down the street.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2010 at 10:51 am

Ahhhhh awesome!!!!!!! Will try this thank you!

Carrie May 12, 2010 at 9:28 am

That looks so good. I can’t wait to make it for my kids!

Meg May 12, 2010 at 10:25 am

this is beautiful…or shall i say “glowing”???
num num num! i want to make this NOW!

hope gossip girl was good!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 12, 2010 at 10:45 am

I can see a lot of these in my future summer!

Living Life May 12, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I have to say your blog has totally inspired me. Towards better health and to start a blog of my own. I have used green superfoods in the past but I have to say I AM IN LOVE WITH GREEN MONSTERS. I look forward to reading your posts each day and learning new recipes. Thank you.

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 12, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Oh my gosh…I don’t care if looks like a “hot mess” – that thing must have tasted FABULOUS! I need to make me one of those ASAP! ;) What a perfect summer snack/dessert!

Carly May 12, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Hi Angela…. I love frozen choc. covered banans, I made them frequently last summer, and am looking forward to it for this summer. For single servings, I use a brush (pastry, small grilling, etc.) to brush the chocolate on, it works really well!

Katie @ Katie's Healthy Discovery May 12, 2010 at 1:10 pm

That looks like the most amazing treat. Yummy! I’m definitely trying some.

Also, I know I mentioned on twitter (@katiesHD) but I just wanted to let you know again that I love the new look of the blog. Gorgeous!

Ana May 12, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Fun post! This is one of my son’s favorite treat! You can never go wrong with banana and chocolate, so good!
Your banana looks totally delicious!
Ana

melmel May 12, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I noticed you eat a lot of coconut-based products…are you aware that they contain mostly saturated fats and are therefore not really good?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Hi Mel, Coconut has been found to have a wide range of health benefits. The sat. fat derived from natural plant based sources does not have the same neg effects as sat fat from animal sources. Hope this helps!

Brownie May 12, 2010 at 5:19 pm

This looks so good. I love that you made it for one, I’m always looking for easy things to make small servings of. The pastry brush idea someone had above was genius.
P.S. – Keep up the good work! You are an inspiration to me as I am starting my own business here in Brooklyn…we’re not in production yet, but it’s getting close :-)

Chelsea Mizera May 13, 2010 at 10:12 pm

So i just tried this recipe, except i didn’t have the coconut oil and i used a frozen banana, worked really well!! the frozen banana makes the chocolate harden right away so its not very messy to make and you can eat it right away!!

Tara June 10, 2010 at 6:52 pm

These are so yummy! I freeze my bananas first, then pour melted chocolate chips on top and sprinkle coconut flakes on top. Only one side is coated but it’s a lot less messy! Love your site!

Danielle Joy :D August 31, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Last night I made this Chocolate Banana Coconut Bliss. After having rubbed the banana in the melted chocolate I used some raisins to make chocolate covered raisins with the little leftover chocolate. After I sprinkled the coconut onto the chocolate covered banana I used the leftover coconut that had fallen of the banana to put it on the chocolate covered raisins. Now that’s what I call resourceful! :D

Zahra February 6, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Suggestion to make mess free bananas, melt the chocolate with butter in a zip loc bag instead of a plate and insert the banana into it to cover and freeze wrapped. Or you could freeze the banana and snip off a corner of the ziploc bag after melting and drizzle chocolate on the banana quickly sprinkling with coconut, doing it on one side and then other side.

sophia March 10, 2015 at 8:41 pm

how long should these stay good in the freezer?

Fiona May 21, 2016 at 3:54 am

This looks fab, do you use vegan chocolate? What vegan chocolate would you recommend? Having recently gone vegan I find myself missing chocolate the most!

Angela Liddon May 27, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Hey Fiona, I use Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips. For bar chocolate, I use Green and Blacks Organic 70%. Hope this helps!

Tanvi September 4, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Just made these and they’re in the freezer right now, AGGGHHH dying to take them out!!!!