How Do You Feel About Women’s Magazines?

Hello :) I hope you are having a kick-bootay start to your week.

4217

How precious are these ducklings and duck?!

mother-duck-and-ducklings2d

[Source]

Not sure why, but I had the impulse to Google pictures of ducklings last night. ;) Last year we saw some in our area so I am hoping to see them again this year! So gosh darn cute.

Something else that made me smile was coming down to Vegan Overnight Oats on a Monday morning. I decided to turn the VOO into Banana Soft Serve VOO. Even though I was cold, I was just craving this breakfast again! I bundled up in my robe and dove in…

Banana Soft Serve Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG_6655

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Amazing Meal chocolate powder (optional)

Directions: Whisk ingredients together and place in fridge overnight. In the morning, make the Banana Soft Serve and layer in a glass as shown.

IMG_6659 IMG_6663

Don’t forget the awesome nutritional stats of this breakfast too!

I also made some fresh juice this morning…

IMG_6642

4 carrots, 1/2 grapefruit, 1 lime. It was way too tart though! Next time less grapefruit and lime, and more carrots. ;)

IMG_6645

Updates:

This morning as I was eating my breakfast I started to think about this advertising campaign that I saw earlier this year…

It is an advertisement by the National Eating Disorder Information Centre (NEDIC). You can drop your magazines into the slot to support ‘shedding your weight problem’. I originally posted about it here.

IMG_8491

I have never seen an ad like this before and I thought it made quite a bold statement.

IMG_8490

My question to you today is, how do you feel about women’s magazines? Do you read them? What about women’s health/fitness magazines? Are there any that stand out from the pack?

I personally used to be the magazine QUEEN. I used to buy 1-2 magazines per week! Eric says that I was addicted. I was looking for the cure to my body/weight/hair/skin problems. However, once I entered grad school, I needed to make cut-backs to save money, so magazines were among the first to go. Now I never buy them because I just got out of the habit. Last year my Father in law got me a subscription to Runner’s World, and I actually enjoyed that magazine quite a bit. It stood out from the others.

I am off for a couple business meetings this morning. Lunch may be in or out, depending on how long they go. This afternoon I am doing another huge order for Ambrosia and then also baking up my other orders. Not sure what my workout is going to be. I may have to squeeze it in over lunch or do an evening workout.

Have a great day! See you for 1,000 words this afternoon.

1 Jessica @ How Sweet May 10, 2010

I am a magazine junkie, but more because I love the mind-numbing reading. I don’t read them in search of fitness tips – most are all hypocrital anyway, posting something one month than something different the next.

2 Faith @ LovelyAsCharged May 10, 2010

I’ve always been a HUGE magazine reader, even going back to the days as a seven year old when I’d get sick and ask my grandmother for popsicles and Teen People as a care package. I currently subscribe to four fashion/beauty magazines and while I do see that they contribute to body image issues, I’m able to separate the model from the clothing she wears. I enjoy the magazines as a purely entertainment/fictionalized literature perspective, the same way I would enjoy a crappy “chick novel”.

3 Christie {Honoring Health} May 10, 2010

Love the new blog look! So fresh and modern looking!

I don’t buy women’s magazines. I don’t think they really do much but perpetuate the belief that we are not good enough. I’d much rather read blogs :D

4 Ilana May 10, 2010

Awww baby ducks! That picture made me squee.

I have a conflicted view of magazines. On one hand, I do think that some are interesting and relevant and they’re a major pillar of global media and reach very widely, so they’re powerful sources of information. But like I feel about *any* source of media, the audience needs to recognize that this is a mass-produced slice of information not aimed at ANY ONE PERSON in specific but rather attempts to be a one-size-fits-all source for their audience. I think people give women’s magazines too much crap for touting weight-loss regimens – I mean, if people didn’t want it, they wouldn’t publish it. I understand, for sure, how triggery these things can be for people recovering from serious body issues, but magazines don’t set out to maliciously trigger, they set out to sell magazines. Basically, I love to read ’em, but I always take ’em with a grain of salt.

5 Lauren May 10, 2010

I still read magazines sometimes…I try not too, but I guess my insecurities just suck me in. They are definitely addicting!! I have been doing well buying less magazines, but then sometimes I just go to the magazines website!! Uhh, what’s a girl to do! :o

6 Christina May 10, 2010

I love your new layout!!!

I really like magazines. I read a ton of them – I need them to stay entertained with my cardio every day! The ones I read: runner’s world, self, fitness, and shape. I think all of them tend to be good for body image, rather than the opposite – especially self!

7 Diana May 10, 2010

I used to buy teen magazines when I was younger but that’s about it. Nowadays I just buy magazines when I’m on vacation, to read on the beach or whatever. I don’t really pay much attention to it or make comparisons, it’s just a way to pass the time, honestly. :)
Have a great day Angela!

8 Angela May 10, 2010

I love this add. When I was in college, I took a class on eating disorders and how much the media influences them. We each had to do multiple projects that focused on positive aspects of ourselves, more personality traits than physical traits. I feel so strongly about this issue in our country. I definitely think magazines contribute to girls having poor body image by putting un-realistic looking women throughout the pages. I also think other types of media portray women in an unrealistic light, which in some twisted way, makes us women feel like men expect a woman like those ones. Then, we try to be thinner, prettier, and flawless. It’s so sad to me. I wish we could do something to change it. I really like how healthy your approach is and I really appreciate reading your blog! I’m also a Runner’s World subscriber, and agree, I love it! Thanks for all the inspiration :)

9 ens May 10, 2010

Hello there – I’m new to your blog and i love it!!

As for women’s mags.. i used to be really in to them looking for a cure for my flaws but I think it’s just something I’ve grown out of. I’ll pick one up if I’m in an airport or something like that but i rarely ever buy them.

AND baby ducks melt my heart!

10 Jes (Self Motivation) May 10, 2010

First of all, I love your new blog look! What a wonderful picture of you (not that they are not all wonderful)!

That really is an bold statement, and I do like it. I have to admit that I tend to enjoy magazines like SELF that to me seem very positive and uplifting rather than degrading. I only subscribe to magazines that I can read from cover-to-cover without feeling bad about myself. I think that woman’s magazines can be a great source of information and inspiration without making women feel bad about themselves. I wish more magazines were like that.

11 kalli@fitandfortysomething May 10, 2010

i like the new look of the blog! personally i am not a fan of magazines. they all seem to say the same thing. the ones i do like are runners world and real simple. i read others but those seem to be the ones i enjoy all the time :)

12 Megan@EatScrapRun May 10, 2010

I love the new website too. Your image at the top is gorgeous!!

I read a ton of magazines, but it’s really just for something to read when I am at the beach, or for a few minutes before bed. I get inspired by Runners World and Women’s Running Magazine, and I enjoy Real Simple for home-type stuff.

13 Heather @ Side of Sneakers May 10, 2010

I love that ad campaign!! What a great message :)

14 Kacy May 10, 2010

I used to be a big magazine person. All of them. Now I rarely buy them because there just seems to be more positive ways to spend my time/money. I do like to read Cosmo every once in a while though..

I love that ad though!

15 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) May 10, 2010

This is a really interesting question. I don’t buy magazines mostly because it seems like a waste of money and paper but can see how it would encourage an unhealthy body image in some women. It’s easy to forget that people in magazine have gone through professional hair and makeup, then Photoshopped extensively.

16 Debbi Does Dinner Healthy May 10, 2010

I pretty much only get a few magazines that focus on recipes. Otherwise I prefer blogs.

17 Run Sarah May 10, 2010

I used to be a huge fan of Cosmo but then realized it only made me insecure! I gave all my issues away and couldn’t have been happier, I don’t miss them at all!

18 Therese May 10, 2010

I used to read LOADS of magazines when I was younger. I mean, I was reading Cosmo at 13. I figured if I couldn’t be thin I could at least be pretty…
Nowadays the only magazines I read are Runners World and National Geographic. I don’t trust most magazines anymore and the content of most of them is rubbish. It’s no longer important to me that I have flawless skin or lose 5lbs in one week or try the Baby Food Diet. I think me and my self-esteem are better off without them! I’ll stick to running techniques and learning about water conservation instead!

19 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies May 10, 2010

I do enjoy my magazines…but I agree that the airbrushing and unrealistic physical picture that they paint can be really harmful. I love seeing new products for face, hair, etc…but diet tips…not so much – most of the time – esp in mainstream women-oriented magazines – the articles are way less inspired than their headlines and full of information that I’ve already known, they’ve already published before or they’re just plain wrong about.

20 Danielle (Coffee Run) May 10, 2010

I used to be the magazine queen too! (But I’m talking…4-5 mags/week) Yeah, that’s embarrassing :?

I’d rather read magazines like Glamour that have a mixture of articles from girly things to world-breaking news. I think magazines that soley focus on nutrition/weight can be an unhealthy addiction

21 Sarah May 10, 2010

I love Runner’s World! This is the only mag I have a subscription to. But I have to say, every month I scour Whole Foods for the latest issues of Body & Soul, Health, and Shape. In all honesty, I read them for the nutrition and health aspect, not the weight loss. But I will definitely admit that those models certainly don’t help my self esteem… it’s unfortunate what, as women, we feel we’re expected to look like. I thought that advertisement was really powerful!

22 Kirsten May 10, 2010

I used to love buying magazines and like you I bought 1-2 a week. These days I don’t really buy that many – sometimes I’ll pick up Natural Health or Women’s Health, but not often.

I think one of the reasons that I stopped buying as many magazines is that I prefer reading/finding out about things via blogs.

23 Ameena May 10, 2010

I used to be addicted to magazines too! I was also trying to find the solution to each and every problem I thought I had. But lately, I have been paging through, skimming the few subscriptions I still have. I’m not sure I’ll renew Self and Shape. I am kind of tired of reading about the same things that affect my self-confidence in the first place. I think I need to not think about these things so much and the magazines are kind of a constant reminder.

24 Jin May 10, 2010

The only time I read mags are when I’m strapped to the elliptical or bike-and I borrow themfrom the library right next to the gym! I never spend moeny on them because I think it’s a waste. Most of the info is already well known or can be found easily on the web. Also,I hate how I unconsciously compare myself to the girl in the photo!!
I love the new layout!

25 Erin May 10, 2010

I used to buy EVERY tabloid that was on the newstands each week AND the monthly women’s magazines. I was obsessed with finding some miracle solution to my self-image problems. I’ve broken myself of the habit and only allow myself to my tabloids when I am travelling by plane because aside from being expense, they just focus on unhealthy crash diets and plastic surgery. As far as “healthy” magazines, I love Self. I think that it sends a positive message each month.

26 Jenny May 10, 2010

I read them but see a multitude of problems in tem- and they’re all airbrushed, even fitness mags like shape! I can’t stand the unrealistic images and therefore standards it sets!

27 Betsy May 10, 2010

I really don’t enjoy woman’s magazines at all. I used to subscribe to Cosmo, but after a while all those stupid sex tips become annoying. Do I really need a list of ways to “please my man” every month? No. I actually find Cosmo rather dull and boring now. I’d rather spend my time reading novels and magazines like Time. I like to stay updated on current events and Time is perfect for that. I guess as I grew and matured my taste in reading materials did also!

28 Maria @ ahealthiermaria May 10, 2010

I used to be a magazine junkie but now I only get Runner’s World as well! I like it because it focuses on running to run – not as a means to lose weight. I used to get Self in the mail but after reading magazines like that every month I realized that they say pretty much the same thing in every issue (how to burn more calories, how to cut calories, etc.) In college I was also guilty of buying US & In Touch (not technically women’s magazines, but I would bet women are their primary customer) but now I just get my gossip fix off of the internet. I feel so wasteful now buying a magazine only to throw it out at the end of the month!

29 Tonyne @ Unlikely Success Story May 10, 2010

I love that ad! I think it’s fantastic. That being said, I do read SELF magazine and Weight Watchers and I like to look at magazines like Cosmo and People. The first two don’t really bother me too much, but the last two I look at them with an open mind knowing that those people aren’t real. I don’t have to look like them. I look like me and I like me. :)

30 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 10, 2010

Good luck today!!
Ah magazines… I like Runner’s World and Self but most magazines are all about the “quick fixes” and whatnot and I always end up feeling bad about my body.

31 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self May 10, 2010

I avoid most women’s magazines like the plague because I used to read them obsessively as part of my disordered eating thoughts and behaviors. Even though I’ve moved past that point, I still try to be careful because I know how easy it is to fall back into that mentality. I think it’s important for everyone to recognize – regardless of if they have a disordered eating history or not – that those magazines often portray unrealistic images and can do just as much harm as good. Also, they’re usually just filled with the same information month after month! BORING!

Of course, this isn’t the case with all magazines. Like you mentioned, Runner’s World is a great one. I also really like Body + Soul.

32 VeggieGirl May 10, 2010

As with blog-reading, I had to cut down on some of the magazines I was reading. Sometimes the messages get mixed and can do more harm than good to the psyche.

33 Shelly May 10, 2010

I had to give up magazines for my self-esteem/sanity. I used to really like them but would really feel horrible about myself after I read them. Now, I stick to work-out type mags (and only every once in a while- I do love Runner’s World though), food mags, and lifestyle stuff like Real Simple.

34 Whitney @ Lettuce Love May 10, 2010

I hate women’s magazine with a passion. I think they are such a waste of time. I think what is worse that women’s magazine are teen magazines, like Teen Vogue and Seventeen that cater to high school aged girls. Those are the worst.

35 Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries May 10, 2010

I think magazines fall somewhere in between for me. I’m sick and tired of seeing perfectly toned females in every issue. It’s simply not realistic to think that we all look svelete and cellulite free at all times!! But, on the other hand, I enjoy reading the real life stories that many of the magazines put forth. I find it inspiring to read stories of women who have lost great amounts of weight the healthy way.

36 Wei-Wei May 10, 2010

I do love reading magazine,s but after a while… it all starts to get to be the same, you know? The same health tips, the same “look skinny in a dress” spreads, the same fashion articles… Meh. I’m kinda over magazines. Sure they’re fun to read once in a while, but I think it’s a bit of a waste of money to buy it every month. I mean, I’m perfectly happy with an old issue; the material in it still applies, which I think says something about the originality… :S

I tried the banana soft serve this afternoon! Maybe my banana was still too frozen, but when it “blended” it just sort of mushed into three large chunks? Still tasty, though. :D

Have a great Monday! :)

Wei-Wei

37 Marina May 10, 2010

I avoid magazines like that, talking about diets, beauty, make-up. they always make me fell less of a woman, ugly and too fat.
I only read one magazine, which is a lot different, and talks about emotions, whole body well-being, soul and healthy food.

38 Kate @ Soupasana May 10, 2010

Hey, Ange.

I view women’s magazines as I do trash novels and bad chick lit. It’s ok to read them if you find it fun and if you yourself KNOW that the information in them is rarely reliable. Does that make sense?

I kinda equate it to watching trash TV. :)

39 AGS May 10, 2010

I gave up on all women’s magazines about two years ago. I didn’t believe they truly focused on health and fitness, but rather were a conglomeration of tips and suggestions primarily focused on losing weight and getting a man. The “gossipy” feel didn’t appeal to me either. The women they feature on their covers are not necessarily focused on health, but celebrities of some sort, and their fitness models (Shape, Self, etc.) all fit a particular type (usually very thin/lean). The silly “tweaks” to lose weight in women’s magazines aren’t enough – you need a commitment to truly eating the most nutritious foods and incorporating cardio and weights.

The only magazine I regularly get is Oxygen. I’ve found the focus on fitness to be unparalleled. If I need advice on hair, clothes, trends, relationships – I’ll go talk to a REAL person.

40 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 10, 2010

I love magazines. Especially on the elliptical or in a dentist´s office or when I just want mindless entertainment. I read a lot of the health and fitness ones now, like Self, Shape, and Health. And I think these magazines do have a lot to offer (sometimes) with interesting articles, but it kind of feels like all magazines have the same content all the time. Look at the covers, even of the more respectable ones… Slim Down By Saturday! Eat This To Shed Pounds! Tighten Your Tummy! EVERY SINGLE MONTH. I know that is the point of the magazines but I wish there was more about being happy where you ARE and healthy from the inside out INSTEAD of perpetuating our idea that we must ALWAYS be trying to lose weight.

41 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) May 10, 2010

The new look is great! The overnight oats and soft serve look so good! Great way to sneak in your ice cream first thing this morning! I look at the magazines for information, but I don’t buy them any more. I used to have such a collection, but really it does become more of an addiction. I definitely don’t worry about fitting into the “mold” that a lot of the magazines try to push on you. Good luck with your meetings today! I hope it is a good one for you!

42 Heather (Heather's Dish) May 10, 2010

you know, i used to buy magazines all the time…now i aim for things like Eating Well and Bon Appetit. I find that food magazines have more pertinent information and they don’t make me feel bad because I don’t look like the person on the cover!

i really like that “shed your weight issues here” display…i think it says a lot about our awareness of where a lot of body image issues stems from!

43 Lindsay May 10, 2010

I have found a great fitness focused magazine called SOBE Fitness. I can’t stand how SELF, Fitness, Women’s Health and the like always talk about weight loss. I also can’t stand how these magazines feature skinny models and actresses with little to no muscle tone, lifting 5lb weights! I need some real inspiration, not another 15 minute ab routine to “look good in a bikini by next week”.

I recently started subscribing to SOBE Fitness and it comes out every other month, it is full of informative articles written my scientists, physicians, and Olympic coaches and features “real” athletic men and women in its training sections. I would highly recommend it.

44 Sarah for Real May 10, 2010

I used to read a ton of magazines, In Style, Women’s Health, Self, Shape…

Then I just got BORED! They are literally all the same, all the time.

I was wondering about Runner’s World though, since I am new to running it would probably have a lot of new-to-me info. Thanks for the recommend!

45 Lauren May 10, 2010

I read anywhere from 2-10 magazines a month, depending on how busy my schedule is. No matter what, I always try to read Self, Runner’s World, and Women’s Running. I think that a lot of them have mixed messages and can be damaging for someone suffering from body issues, but for the most part I find them to be helpful and inspiring.

46 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 10, 2010

I read a few, but I take them very lightly. I’d rather read books on nutrition though.

47 Lindsay May 10, 2010

Correction the mag is called “SoBeFit”

48 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 10, 2010

I like Women’s Health and Men’s Health magazines!

49 ashley May 10, 2010

I made the.best.VOO. for this morning!! I whipped pnut butter into the banana + layered a little jelly in there too. I’m out of chia so I used ground flax meal which worked perfectly. All the details will be blogged tomorrow. Seriously digging at my mug for more! The magazines I get right now are Real Simple and my subscription for Cooks just ended. I think I used to get Shape magazine…And I got Architectural Digest for YEARS [nerd alert…yeah started that 1 in 7th grade, lol] I usually pick up a trashy magazine when I’m at the airport though! They can be fun sometimes! There are a few other health mags that I really like too…one is Body + Soul. Anyway, off to work!

50 Leah @ L4L May 10, 2010

I generally don’t read women’s magazines at all. The boy buys me some for my stocking every Christmas and that is about the only time I read them. I hate all the advertisements and half the articles are crap. The only magazines I have subscriptions to are: Cooking Light, Eating Well, and Vegetarian Times. Even Cooking Light is getting on my nerves with certain ads, the sections with fitness tips, and that sort of thing. And I feel like their recipes aren’t very original most of the time but that’s neither here nor there. One magazine I really do want to subscribe to (and plan to, as soon as my Cooking Light is up) is Real Simple. I love the look of that one! I find myself leaning more towards domestic magazines – lifestyles, family, homes, decorating, etc than to “women’s” magazines.

51 Brooke May 10, 2010

I think that, as a form of entertainment, weelky rags do have a place. As an intelligent woman I know that the pictures I am looking at have been tweaked, photoshopped, airbrushed, etc. I also know that, for most celebrities, it is their job to look “perfect” (be it right, wrong or indifferent) and they spend a fortune in order to do so. I never buy magazines for cures or quick fixes. The big secret is that there is no big secret. You must exercise and eat healthfully to be fit. I get a kick out of poring over the gossip-y columns. It’s just fluff. My life has enough stress and serious-ness…a little bit of fluff is entertaining to me.

p.s. I really <3 your new layout!

52 Lindsay May 10, 2010

I read a lot of women’s magazines, but often feel that they promote unrealistic body types! However I love Glamour! They provide a range of articles from fashion to world news. I also like how they’ve begun to use a variety of models in different shapes and sizes :) In recent issues, they’ve begun to focus on respecting your body and having a healthy body image!!! Yay!!

You can read about it here!

I also love Vegetarian Times.. the recipes are amazing!

53 Deirdre May 10, 2010

I subscribe to Glamour and Self and I tend to read only those women’s magazines. As much as I enjoy getting new tips, I take lots of their advice with a grain of salt. I view magazines as escapism like I do books and movies so I view them pretty lightly. I feel like I am a fairly self confident individual so most of the time I don’t compare myself to the women in the magazines. That being said I am happy to see that Glamour is using models now with a wider range of body types. Real women do come in all shapes and sizes.

54 Lisa May 10, 2010

I am not a fan of women’s mags. I think it’s unfair to tote “tips” on how to become a size 6 overnight but then airbrush the models in the photos. False advertising!

55 Shrinking Girl May 10, 2010

I’ve never been a fan of women’s magazines… ever. I tried to be when all my friends in high school and college seemed obsessed with them but I just never felt as though they reflected much of MY life or anything about ME. I found the articles to be all about fashion and boyfriends and great sex… but the content on any of those things was so glossed over… it didn’t help you or inspire you or give you the tools to change anything about yourself really. All they seemed to want to do is to appeal to the part of me that wanted to be super-something. Super trendy? Super sexy? Super approachable?
Maybe it’s because I grew up in a small town, but the clothes the models wore, the look of the models and the articles themselves just seemed to be something to look at if you wanted to live in a fantasy world.
I stick to science magazines (I’m a science geek), and health magazines (occasionally). They speak about things I’m interested in, usually have content which isn’t fluffy and often give resources on where to go for more information. Good stuff!

56 Kelly at Local Foodie Fight May 10, 2010

I guess I sort of agree with other’s: It’s hard to say whether my body image is being affected by the stick then models in the fashion sections of women’s magazines….but I still read them and sometimes enjoy them just like I do chick flicks or beach reads….it’s fun but I take the advice with a grain of salt.

57 Fueling for Fitness May 10, 2010

I also stopped reading those types of magazines once I got to grad school – it was a combination of being too poor to afford them and not having time to read anything non-academic. Now, the only two magazines I make time to read are Runner’s World and the Running Room magazine. :)

Sometimes Shoppers will send me Glow magazine which I’ll flip through if bored, but it mostly just seems like a giant advertisement whenever I do.

-Alison

58 Saffity May 10, 2010

I used to flip through women’s magazines when I was in my late teens/ early 20’s. HoweverI never really got into them because they were just so over the top with “best sex tips” blah blah and I usually just rolled my eyes.
I’d read them if I was at a laundromat or somewhere that had them for free, but that was about it.

I pretty much avoid them now and even if I do pick one up, I stay completely away from any weight loss tips… I’m all about eating healthy and exercize and not about the “newest bestest weight loss tip that will help you lose 50 lbs in 50 hours!!!”

As far as what I read now, I knit, so I’ve got a subscription to a couple of knitting magazines that also have lovely inspirational articles about women and their lives through the craft. I also really like Yoga Journal, I don’t get it often but when I do pick it up I really enjoy the series of moves it gives, and the tips and tricks that are in it. I enjoy Yoga, but I’m not very good at it, and I have to be careful with it due to some previous surgeries and injuries to my joints.

I have to make some VOO… I keep looking at yours and going mmmmm… I just have the problem of having room mates who are asleep when I get up so I often pick up breakfast on the way to work rather than make it at home.

VOO seams like the perfect solution… if I just get off my lazy bum and make them the night before :)

59 Jessica May 10, 2010

I used to be into magazines such as Self and Women’s Health, but I came to the realisation that if they really worked, we would only need to read one magazine! (Not to mention they can get expensive). I stopped reading them, but I read Runner’s World because I love the training tips.
I rather would read a book then a magazine on the beach. :)
Thanks for the post- I am really intrigued by the NEDIC’s new advertising.

60 Jennifer May 10, 2010

I am not into Women’s mag’s but I do LOVE Clean Eating. They have some great recipes!

61 Kristy May 10, 2010

Yea! What she said ;-)

62 Tina May 10, 2010

I could not agree more about women’s magazines in general. Even the ones that claim to be more about healthy living, still focus on shedding those last 5 lbs…get abs by Friday…etc. I know those are the things that sell, but if all magazines changed gears (hello dream world) it would be amazing to see how the perspectives of the women who read them also change for the better. That is a really cool ad!

63 Kilee May 10, 2010

Thank you for linking back to my blog. I have been lovin’ your recipes! Regarding the magazine question, I never really thought about how magazines poorly affected my mindset until my boyfriend got mad at me for reading them. He was upset because I would constantly compare myself to the airbrushed images and be upset that I’d never look like them. He actually threw some of them away. Now that I have a strict “no buying magazines” rule, I feel better about myself. The magazines that I do get are Women’s Health, InStyle and Bon Appetite. I have to remind myself as I flip through InStyle that the photos are airbrushed and that I am fabulous just the way I am.
Thanks for this great post and I love that ad campaign!

64 Amy May 10, 2010

When I was a young teenager, I used to read my older cousin’s Seventeen magazines. Later I started buying Cosmo. But as I got older I started to notice the same headlines, screaming about how to please your man 217 thousand ways, how to behave to attract a man, mind games to play, rules to follow, and the importance of having a man at all… what to wear, what products you absolutely can’t live without, and it started to bother me. Now I think these magazines are poison to women, pure and simple. What it boils down to, is that a woman’s value and self-worth are being measured by how sexually attractive they are to men. To me, this is brainwashing, and it’s a terrible message to be feeding impressionable young girls. But put a popular female celebrity on the cover, airbrushed to impossible proportions and unattainable perfection, and it will continue to be digested by the masses. It makes me sad!
But there are some magazines I enjoy, including Runner’s World and Clean Eating Magazine. I like that they focus on health and fitness, rather than body image and weight loss.

65 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg May 10, 2010

I love magazines, but really just because of boredom!! Their tips are always the same…and not all that helpful!

66 zoe May 10, 2010

ugh i am not a fan of women’s magazine’s (i.e: cosmo, glamour, elle, vogue etc.). besides gender stereotyping and being ridiculously repetitive (anyone else notice how EVERY issue seems to have the same story/tips page with the only difference being the name of the article?) i used to loooove them but about a year ago i gave them up. surprisingly my self esteem went up and i stopped worrying about my “problem” areas or by “unclear” skin or if i was “good in the bedroom.” sheesh. they only ever focused on my “problems.” for magazines that are supposedly trying to empower women, all i ever felt was inadequate!

67 Amber K May 10, 2010

I am a total magazine junkie. I subscribe to probably about 15. I really enjoy the reading material. I like reading it at the gym. I like learning new things and sharing them with my husband. And I always rip out the ads, so I don’t usually pay any attention to them. A lot of times I don’t even like the cover models because the photo shop is so obvious and fake. But I just really like the content.

My favorite is Marie Claire because they do a lot of news and current events stories that affect women.

68 Claire May 10, 2010

I love the new layout!

About magazine reading…Well, I was a magazine major in college. Technically I was a writing, literature, and publishing major so I was very rounded in all writing fields, however focused on magazines most. I think that magazines can be very creative and I am more into high end fashion/art magazines than say, your typical fitness and health magazine. I sometimes read them while cross training but the only magazine I subscribe to right now is runner’s world because they write about all types of people from beginner runners to elite runners. Also, the tips are phenom. The magazines that frustrate me most are tabloids. I know that some people say that any press is good press but I am sorry, I just don’t think that just because you are an actor, you deserve to be picked apart for your “husband cheating and why you deserved it…” etc. I feel awful that our media has gotten so terrible and intruding.

69 Mary May 10, 2010

I Love Runners World! that was one of the first magazines that I got a subscription to. I also get women’s health, but I will not be renewing my subscription to that this year. I’m a magazine junkie…. guilty.

70 Noelle May 10, 2010

I like Self Magazine and Women’s Health because I think they have good recipes and basic health tips although they can get pricey. I find these magazines to be motivational and provide a bit of escapism. Reading novels can be a bit cumbersome at times. My brain needs a break.

Plus Self magazine does promote a healthy body image by featuring celebrities like Chelsie Handler and Ellen. I think its interesting to hear what certain women do to maintain their energy levels and fitness.. The same reason I enjoy reading blogs.

But for anyone who has a history of obsessive working out and other compulsive ED’s they probably aren’t a good idea.

71 Camille May 10, 2010

My favorite “women’s” magazine is Self magazine, which is more of a health/fitness magazine than anything else. It is one that always uses models that look strong and healthy and doesn’t boast “cure-all” tips.

72 Margarita May 10, 2010

Growing up I was obsessed with magazines. But after a while, you realise that a lot of the information, tidbits and tips are all the same, on repeat. And much of this information you already know, you don’t need a magazine to tell you. There are some magazines that I do enjoy (Paris Vogue, Mark) just for the images alone.

73 Triathlonbabe May 10, 2010

I like Cristie (Honoring Health) response about how a lot of women’s magazines really do perpetuate our weight. However, I’ve been a reader of Runner’s World for over 10 years and I do subscribe to Health magazine but more so for the health advice as a whole and not just for women.

I just recently purchased a juicer, haven’t used it yet but do you put your fruit and veggie peels in there too when you make your juices?

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2010

yup!

75 Shannon May 10, 2010

Like you, I used to read them/subscribe all the time. I went through ED counseling during grad school and there was an exercise on magazine/media impact on women, particularly those with ED. It was really powerful and, since then, I rarely even look at them.

76 Bree May 10, 2010

I love the new blog layout! So clean and appealing.

I also used to be a magazine junkie – usually reading them while slaving away on the elliptical for hours in college. From Cosmo, to People, to US Weekly…I read them all! After a while, I started to realize that Cosmo was mostly the same rehashed articles and advice over and over. It wasn’t helping my self esteem, either. My biggest pet peeve is that most of the fitness/health advice is crap in most of them, and is usually the same thing over and over again. I can find much better advice and inspiration from REAL women via the awesome blogs I read!

Now the only magazine subscription I get is Real Simple. I had Cooking Light last year, but decided to switch it up.

77 Amy May 10, 2010

I still have three magazine subscriptions left and I am done with them. I am so sick of them esp with “lose 5 lbs in a week” yet you see a fit woman with 6 pack abs. What the?!?! I feel they do nothing but make me feel less of a woman b/c I am not tall, skinny and I have nowhere near a 6 pack.
So I have decided I will not be buying/subscribing to anymore magazines that make me feel worthless. I may try Runner’s World but sometimes I feel inadequate as I am not a runner at all (even though I did a 9 mile run but it took me 2 hrs to do :-()

78 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 10, 2010

I still read them on and off but not nearly as much as I used to. I think most cover the same stories over and over again, so I get bored. I do like home design magazines, but those are closing left and right. And, yes, I like reading US Weekly when traveling.

79 Paige (Running Around Normal) May 10, 2010

I used to be a magazine junkie, too. I have a select few that I love now – Runner’s World, Clean Eating, and Real Simple. I like the Shape/Self/Fitness ones for workout ideas (some of them ARE decent!)
Have a good one Angela and all :)

80 Retta @ RunRettaRun May 10, 2010

I absolutely love that ad!!!! Gave me tingles. I used to subscribe to Mademoiselle and buy Glamour in my early 20s but eh. I got over that. I currently have a subcription to Fitness and although I enjoy it, it’s getting a little mundane. Would love a subscription to Women’s Running. :)

81 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition May 10, 2010

Hey! I used to be addicted to reading woman’s magazine also. I don’t buy them anymore but I still read them sometimes- BUT I take the information with a grain of salt. I eat a 70% raw diet and most of these magazines don’t give the kind of holistic advice I am intersted in now

82 Tracey May 10, 2010

Hi, my name is Tracey and I’m addicted to magazines.

Seriously, I love looking at the glossy pictures and reading the articles in magazines. However, over the last couple years the magazines I purchase have changed. I used to the the glamour, cosmo, in style girl but now I’ve swited to health, self and real simple magazines.

Gossip magazines will always hold a place in my heart;)

83 Sara May 10, 2010

I only subscribe to Newsweek, but I’ve been a sometimes fan of Self and Women’s Health, although I feel that with any women’s magazine, their topics get really repetitive so I don’t read them constantly. I did kinda stop reading them even more after a very random conversation with my boyfriend. I was reading Self, and he looks over and says “why are all the pictures of half naked women?” and I hadn’t thought of it before, but it’s definitely true. We bombard ourselves with these images of beauty & health, even in “health magazines” and all it does is make us feel worse about not looking like that. I have a very random theory that all this staring at other women’s bodies has really messed our heads up, to the point that we are worse than men when it comes to looking at women & analyzing them. We’re 100x more judgmental and hard on ourselves than any man ever could be, and I think a lot of it comes from this onslaught of images. So I’ve been trying to avoid it in general. That ad from NEDIC is totally on target.

84 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 10, 2010

Ducklings!! How cute are they?! So random that you were thinking about ducks last night. I subscribe to this daily email called DailyOM and the email the other day was about DUCKS! Coincidence? I think not. ;) They said, “…As we observe them, we see that ducks are denizens of three worlds—the world of air, the world of water, and the world of earth. As such, they have adapted themselves to be able to swim, fly, and walk, and they seek and find nourishment in more than one place. They are symbols of versatility and can inspire us to explore our own ability to adapt and find nourishment in a variety of places…” Maybe we all need to channel our inner duck. :)

85 Christine (The Raw Project) May 10, 2010

Lately I have not been reading many magazines, except for looking at the pics or celebrity snark ones. :-) I currently get Fitness Magazine thanks to a free promotion, but have been pretty bored with it. I can see how the ads and images in it and most fashion magazines could be damaging to our body images, they played a substantial role to my ED in high school.

86 jenny (Green Food Diaries) May 10, 2010

i never read magazines, and never really have. the only magazines i can say i buy are design and music mags that virtually include no human portraits… i like that ad/campaign though. smart.

ps – your bunny stirring stick/spoon(?) made me smile quite big. love it!

87 Jen May 10, 2010

I love health/fitness magazines. I think this is probably one of the reasons I love health/fitness blogs, because they offer a daily does of inspiration to be my healthiest. I have subscribed to Shape magazine for over ten years. I love their short snippets and clips, recipes, and they are also loaded with new workouts. I think I counted 5 new full body workouts in my last issue. I also love that they focus on total health not just being as thin as humanly possible.

I also enjoy Runner’s World and Clean Eating magazine :)

88 Susan May 10, 2010

I’ve never actually been that into women’s magazines. I was never big into hair and makeup and all that stuff. I do buy fitness magazines now like Runner’s World, Bicycling, etc. It’s funny, because just the other night I was reading Oxygen Magazine, and my mom commented on how “you don’t see many cover models like that!” She was referring to the muscular woman in a cute bikini on the front. It never registered to me that she looked that different, but thinking back, almost all women on other covers have virtually no muscle mass, and look pretty darn weak. It’s a shame. When did people start thinking that’s what women should look like? I’ll take the biceps any day ;)

89 lexi May 10, 2010

There are some women’s magazines that I do tend to pick up these days. I like Women’s Health- i do find, however, the workouts in Oxygen and healthy eating/clean eating tips to be more on point for me. I do like Marie Claire however, I think they often have more compelling/inspiring stories than other magazines. Runner’s World is great- I sometimes get them for free ( haha top secret)

90 Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind May 10, 2010

I actually love women’s magazines, and am not negatively affected by them (that I’m aware of, anyway).

91 Trish May 10, 2010

Oh I love magazines. I have stacks of them everywhere. Sure, some can be problematic. You just have to select the best ones – and even then, still be wary.

Their are some I dislike – Cosmo, for one. It just seems so trashy. I was totally put off by their confession stories. People were just rotten and I didn’t want to read that negativity. I’d prefer an informative, well-written article. I like some fluff, but I also want substance. And I want intelligence. I like it to be well-written. Even if you’re writing about make-up and skin-care stuff, it can be done intelligently.

92 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2010

haha did you ever wonder if someone just made those stories up?? I always thought that!

93 AGS May 10, 2010

I’m sure half of it is made-up. . . but then — some real-life stories of my friends are so crazy, that I have to think some of it is true!

94 Adrienne May 10, 2010

I used to be a HUGE magazine junkie! I cringe at the thought of how much money I used to waste. The only magazines I read now are Runner’s World for fitness because it’s actually useful, and Vogue (because I work in fashion and just have to) :-)

Most “women’s” magazines are full of useless crap articles, and regurgitate the same headlines and stories over and over….a colossal waste of time.
To me, the worst offenders are Oxygen and Muscle and Fitness Hers (for fitness) and Cosmo and Glamour (for lifestyle)….barf.

ps. yay for blogs like yours!!!

95 Little Aspects May 10, 2010

I don’t like magazines (womens’ or fashion). The fashion mags encourage girls/women to believe that they must strive to look like the ultra-thin, airbrushed women in the magazine and to do so must dress in the same way. Hence, the large number of women/girls who wear completely unflattering clothes for their bodies because they are “in fashion”, and are turned off developing their own sense of personal style because they follow the mandate of the magazines that tell them “what’s hot/not”. I find the articles boring and unempowering and I would much rather read a good book that will challenge my mind. For fashion, I’ll stick with blogs such as The Sartorialist and Garance Dore for inspiration and places like etsy and modcloth to find interesting and unique items of clothing/accessories.

As for heath/fitness/womens’ mags, I find that they all say the same thing, and it’s nothing that I can’t find on the internet anyway. I’d rather look up a Hal Higdon running program and tweak it to my needs if I want a structured program, or look up youtube videos of core muscle workouts and stretches. Magazines cost money – the internet is much, much cheaper and has much more information anyway! I also prefer reading blogs to articles in womens’ mags – blogs are so much more personal and interesting and interactive in a way – a much more accessible way for people to feel challenged to change something they are not happy with, for example, that they may need to jump up off the couch and exercise more. :-)

I won’t even get started on the Cleos/Cosmos – encouraging girls to give men oral s*x to get what they want??!! No thanks!!

(Sorry for the long rant! Great discussion topic, by the way!) :-)

96 kallie May 10, 2010

I am so terribly addicted to women’s magazines! I refuse to spend money on them though, so I periodically take a few hours a month and head over to Barnes and Noble and read them…does that count as stealing? hm.. it seems as though most of them have made a shift to accepting more body types and promoting overall wellbeing. They have some good tips!

–K (http://kalliemarie.wordpress.com)

97 Jill May 10, 2010

I am/was also a magazine queen. I started reading fashion mags around age 12. For fashion, definitely, but also as motivation, inspiration, and way to keep telling myself I wasn’t good enough. I kept a little notebook all through highschool that I glued photos of models in. Always the thinnest ones… It has taken a long time to separate myself from that need to look at skinny models and subsequently put myself down. I still struggle with it. Now I mostly read health magazines (alive, yoga journal) and local magazines. I subscribe to fitness, and while I think the magazine is 95% fluff, I am very pleased to notice the models are getting bigger – they look more like me, a healthy and fit body, instead of a rail.
Sorry, I could go on about this topic for pages :) Blogs are way more fun and informative :)

98 Nicci@NiftyEats May 10, 2010

I skip those articles about fast quixk weightloss and dropping pounds, but I do enjoy Women’s Health, Shape and Fitness. I love readin success stories and finding new exercises and recipes to try. I’m comfortable with my body that now, I don’t look at the models and think ”I want to look like that and strive for perfection” like I used to when I was younger. I also agree with Jill (above) blogs are more fun.

99 Michelle (Life With Relish) May 10, 2010

I love this layout, too!

I used to looove magazines, too. Since I’ve started following more blogs, though, and seeing real people doing real great things, I’m reading less and less.

I’ll admit, I’ll always have a special spot in my heart reserved for clothes, which the magazines satisfy, but even these I look at differently now.

100 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 10, 2010

I LOVE magazines… but I am choosy as to which ones I buy. I love Runner’s World, Women’s Health and Real Simple. I buy one about every two weeks to a month.

I don’t like women’s magazines for the way they portray women, in many cases, as having to be “perfect”… not to mention the skinny models they try to convince you are healthy. I love these magazines because they feature real people/real models, and have useful, interesting articles!!

xo
K

101 Marilyn @ Lipgloss and Spandex May 10, 2010

I am a magazine junkie. When I was a teen, I didn’t realize how incredibly airbrushed they were, but then again, not everyone had Photoshop then, nor was America’s Next Top Model a huge deal! I still like my fashion mags, but it’s more about the beauty products and clothes for me, than the models. And I feel like I’m more comfortable with my body now, especially knowing that models don’t always look fabulous, they’re retouched like crazy, and I’m okay with me no matter what they look like.

I do love my running magazines (Runner’s World, Women’s Running, Running Times), and fitness/health magazines (Shape, Fitness, Health, Body + Soul).

102 Sophie @ yumventures May 10, 2010

Ugh, I totally agree! Magazines used to make me look for problems, weaknessess,and plain ugliness! I never read them any more, and I’m so glad for it :)

103 Becky May 10, 2010

I like them, but they can be very contradictory. Some articles will preach body acceptance and toning and being fit vs. skinny, but then all the pictures are of stick-thin models doing leg lifts and such. It’s annoying.

104 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) May 10, 2010

I read a LOT of magazines, but most of them are cooking ones :-) I do read the odd fashion or fitness magazine, and I wish they would have more realistic women in them.

105 Amanda (modernation) May 11, 2010

Love that ad! I used to buy magazines at the grocery store check out. Then i realized that for the price of one issue I could buy a subscription. For awhile I went a little crazy with the subscriptions. Now I subscribe to Cooking Light, Runners World and Women’s health. I do not look to it like a bible, but more for inspiration and motivation. I don’t believe the promises of losing 8 pounds in one month or dropping a dress size in two weeks. Everyone is different and we need to each find what works for us and our health.

106 Top juicer May 11, 2010

Stainless metal juicer is simple to clean, where just about all you need to do is always to provide it a quick wash, and it is as beneficial because it should get. On the several hand, those juicers are also incredibly usable, where it can last for several years to come, without having showing any major use and rip.

107 Shayna May 11, 2010

Great idea to ditch the bad influences — I hope more women start rejecting the ridiculous ideas and advice pushed on them by these magazines, but I suspect that won’t happen until we start to see ourselves as whole rather than as needing constant advice and reassurance in the most shallow form that with just a few plucks/tweezes/sit-ups we can be pretty… until next month’s issue comes out.

You can find me at Life: Forward (http://lifeforward.onsugar.com) talking about women, the age gender gap, and body image.

108 Danielle May 11, 2010

I think even when it comes to Women’s health and fitness magazines, you need to be careful. You can always tell the legitimacy of the magazine, by out un-outrageous the titles are on the cover. I think a handful of these magazines help to influence a healthier lifestyle. I have a subscription to Women’s Health and occasionally buy runners world. These magazines usually promote a healthy lifestyle as well as body image.
I have noticed a change in Women’s Health over the last 5 years that I am not really happy with. The cover models used to look athletic, always in athletic gear, never underweight, and usually unknown to me. Now, they are actresses and models. Usually they are a respectable actress or whatever, but it took some credibility away from the magazine. Regardless, it is a fun magazine that probably does much less damage to the psyche than other magazines.

109 Rachel May 12, 2010

My issue with magazines, both “women’s” magazines and specialty magazines like Yoga Journal, is that they really don’t have enough to say to justify a monthly magazine, so in the end they’re simply repeating themselves over and over again. Not worth the money!

I think reading any magazine occasionally is probably fine for the psyche, but if you read them too regularly you’ll absorb the messages, which, since the editors need something to fill the magazine, seem to always be make yourself better (whether that’s thinner, stronger, more fashionable, prettier, healthier). Personally, I like to stick to Bust and Bitch, which lean towards make yourself more of an activist and more crafty. :)

110 Katie @ Katie's Healthy Discovery May 12, 2010

I love that ad! I think it makes such a bold and fantastic statement.

I’m not a big fan of women’s magazines. I’ve been reading blogs instead.

111 Sylvia May 18, 2010

I used to get sucked into purchasing the magazines with all the promises on the front cover only to discover that the article never said anything of substance that I didn’t already know. Now I save my money.

112 Kathy May 18, 2010

I am addicted to Woman’s World. WHY can’t I stop buying it?! I did find out that FIRST is almost exactly the same as WW. What I have noted over the YEARS of buying WW, is that the REPEAT stuff on the front….repeat DIETS, and celebs with thier ideas….How I want to break my addiction, but I am an information “junkie”, not sure I can give it up!