How Do You Feel About Women’s Magazines?

Hello :) I hope you are having a kick-bootay start to your week.

4217

How precious are these ducklings and duck?!

mother-duck-and-ducklings2d

[Source]

Not sure why, but I had the impulse to Google pictures of ducklings last night. ;) Last year we saw some in our area so I am hoping to see them again this year! So gosh darn cute.

Something else that made me smile was coming down to Vegan Overnight Oats on a Monday morning. I decided to turn the VOO into Banana Soft Serve VOO. Even though I was cold, I was just craving this breakfast again! I bundled up in my robe and dove in…

Banana Soft Serve Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG_6655

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Amazing Meal chocolate powder (optional)

Directions: Whisk ingredients together and place in fridge overnight. In the morning, make the Banana Soft Serve and layer in a glass as shown.

IMG_6659 IMG_6663

Don’t forget the awesome nutritional stats of this breakfast too!

I also made some fresh juice this morning…

IMG_6642

4 carrots, 1/2 grapefruit, 1 lime. It was way too tart though! Next time less grapefruit and lime, and more carrots. ;)

IMG_6645

Updates:

This morning as I was eating my breakfast I started to think about this advertising campaign that I saw earlier this year…

It is an advertisement by the National Eating Disorder Information Centre (NEDIC). You can drop your magazines into the slot to support ‘shedding your weight problem’. I originally posted about it here.

IMG_8491

I have never seen an ad like this before and I thought it made quite a bold statement.

IMG_8490

My question to you today is, how do you feel about women’s magazines? Do you read them? What about women’s health/fitness magazines? Are there any that stand out from the pack?

I personally used to be the magazine QUEEN. I used to buy 1-2 magazines per week! Eric says that I was addicted. I was looking for the cure to my body/weight/hair/skin problems. However, once I entered grad school, I needed to make cut-backs to save money, so magazines were among the first to go. Now I never buy them because I just got out of the habit. Last year my Father in law got me a subscription to Runner’s World, and I actually enjoyed that magazine quite a bit. It stood out from the others.

I am off for a couple business meetings this morning. Lunch may be in or out, depending on how long they go. This afternoon I am doing another huge order for Ambrosia and then also baking up my other orders. Not sure what my workout is going to be. I may have to squeeze it in over lunch or do an evening workout.

Have a great day! See you for 1,000 words this afternoon.

Page 3 of 3«123
Kathy May 18, 2010

I am addicted to Woman’s World. WHY can’t I stop buying it?! I did find out that FIRST is almost exactly the same as WW. What I have noted over the YEARS of buying WW, is that the REPEAT stuff on the front….repeat DIETS, and celebs with thier ideas….How I want to break my addiction, but I am an information “junkie”, not sure I can give it up!

Sylvia May 18, 2010

I used to get sucked into purchasing the magazines with all the promises on the front cover only to discover that the article never said anything of substance that I didn’t already know. Now I save my money.

Katie @ Katie's Healthy Discovery May 12, 2010

I love that ad! I think it makes such a bold and fantastic statement.

I’m not a big fan of women’s magazines. I’ve been reading blogs instead.

Rachel May 12, 2010

My issue with magazines, both “women’s” magazines and specialty magazines like Yoga Journal, is that they really don’t have enough to say to justify a monthly magazine, so in the end they’re simply repeating themselves over and over again. Not worth the money!

I think reading any magazine occasionally is probably fine for the psyche, but if you read them too regularly you’ll absorb the messages, which, since the editors need something to fill the magazine, seem to always be make yourself better (whether that’s thinner, stronger, more fashionable, prettier, healthier). Personally, I like to stick to Bust and Bitch, which lean towards make yourself more of an activist and more crafty. :)

Danielle May 11, 2010

I think even when it comes to Women’s health and fitness magazines, you need to be careful. You can always tell the legitimacy of the magazine, by out un-outrageous the titles are on the cover. I think a handful of these magazines help to influence a healthier lifestyle. I have a subscription to Women’s Health and occasionally buy runners world. These magazines usually promote a healthy lifestyle as well as body image.
I have noticed a change in Women’s Health over the last 5 years that I am not really happy with. The cover models used to look athletic, always in athletic gear, never underweight, and usually unknown to me. Now, they are actresses and models. Usually they are a respectable actress or whatever, but it took some credibility away from the magazine. Regardless, it is a fun magazine that probably does much less damage to the psyche than other magazines.

Shayna May 11, 2010

Great idea to ditch the bad influences — I hope more women start rejecting the ridiculous ideas and advice pushed on them by these magazines, but I suspect that won’t happen until we start to see ourselves as whole rather than as needing constant advice and reassurance in the most shallow form that with just a few plucks/tweezes/sit-ups we can be pretty… until next month’s issue comes out.

You can find me at Life: Forward (http://lifeforward.onsugar.com) talking about women, the age gender gap, and body image.

Top juicer May 11, 2010

Stainless metal juicer is simple to clean, where just about all you need to do is always to provide it a quick wash, and it is as beneficial because it should get. On the several hand, those juicers are also incredibly usable, where it can last for several years to come, without having showing any major use and rip.

Amanda (modernation) May 11, 2010

Love that ad! I used to buy magazines at the grocery store check out. Then i realized that for the price of one issue I could buy a subscription. For awhile I went a little crazy with the subscriptions. Now I subscribe to Cooking Light, Runners World and Women’s health. I do not look to it like a bible, but more for inspiration and motivation. I don’t believe the promises of losing 8 pounds in one month or dropping a dress size in two weeks. Everyone is different and we need to each find what works for us and our health.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) May 10, 2010

I read a LOT of magazines, but most of them are cooking ones :-) I do read the odd fashion or fitness magazine, and I wish they would have more realistic women in them.

Becky May 10, 2010

I like them, but they can be very contradictory. Some articles will preach body acceptance and toning and being fit vs. skinny, but then all the pictures are of stick-thin models doing leg lifts and such. It’s annoying.

Sophie @ yumventures May 10, 2010

Ugh, I totally agree! Magazines used to make me look for problems, weaknessess,and plain ugliness! I never read them any more, and I’m so glad for it :)

Marilyn @ Lipgloss and Spandex May 10, 2010

I am a magazine junkie. When I was a teen, I didn’t realize how incredibly airbrushed they were, but then again, not everyone had Photoshop then, nor was America’s Next Top Model a huge deal! I still like my fashion mags, but it’s more about the beauty products and clothes for me, than the models. And I feel like I’m more comfortable with my body now, especially knowing that models don’t always look fabulous, they’re retouched like crazy, and I’m okay with me no matter what they look like.

I do love my running magazines (Runner’s World, Women’s Running, Running Times), and fitness/health magazines (Shape, Fitness, Health, Body + Soul).

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 10, 2010

I LOVE magazines… but I am choosy as to which ones I buy. I love Runner’s World, Women’s Health and Real Simple. I buy one about every two weeks to a month.

I don’t like women’s magazines for the way they portray women, in many cases, as having to be “perfect”… not to mention the skinny models they try to convince you are healthy. I love these magazines because they feature real people/real models, and have useful, interesting articles!!

xo
K

Michelle (Life With Relish) May 10, 2010

I love this layout, too!

I used to looove magazines, too. Since I’ve started following more blogs, though, and seeing real people doing real great things, I’m reading less and less.

I’ll admit, I’ll always have a special spot in my heart reserved for clothes, which the magazines satisfy, but even these I look at differently now.

Nicci@NiftyEats May 10, 2010

I skip those articles about fast quixk weightloss and dropping pounds, but I do enjoy Women’s Health, Shape and Fitness. I love readin success stories and finding new exercises and recipes to try. I’m comfortable with my body that now, I don’t look at the models and think ”I want to look like that and strive for perfection” like I used to when I was younger. I also agree with Jill (above) blogs are more fun.

Jill May 10, 2010

I am/was also a magazine queen. I started reading fashion mags around age 12. For fashion, definitely, but also as motivation, inspiration, and way to keep telling myself I wasn’t good enough. I kept a little notebook all through highschool that I glued photos of models in. Always the thinnest ones… It has taken a long time to separate myself from that need to look at skinny models and subsequently put myself down. I still struggle with it. Now I mostly read health magazines (alive, yoga journal) and local magazines. I subscribe to fitness, and while I think the magazine is 95% fluff, I am very pleased to notice the models are getting bigger – they look more like me, a healthy and fit body, instead of a rail.
Sorry, I could go on about this topic for pages :) Blogs are way more fun and informative :)

kallie May 10, 2010

I am so terribly addicted to women’s magazines! I refuse to spend money on them though, so I periodically take a few hours a month and head over to Barnes and Noble and read them…does that count as stealing? hm.. it seems as though most of them have made a shift to accepting more body types and promoting overall wellbeing. They have some good tips!

–K (http://kalliemarie.wordpress.com)

Little Aspects May 10, 2010

I don’t like magazines (womens’ or fashion). The fashion mags encourage girls/women to believe that they must strive to look like the ultra-thin, airbrushed women in the magazine and to do so must dress in the same way. Hence, the large number of women/girls who wear completely unflattering clothes for their bodies because they are “in fashion”, and are turned off developing their own sense of personal style because they follow the mandate of the magazines that tell them “what’s hot/not”. I find the articles boring and unempowering and I would much rather read a good book that will challenge my mind. For fashion, I’ll stick with blogs such as The Sartorialist and Garance Dore for inspiration and places like etsy and modcloth to find interesting and unique items of clothing/accessories.

As for heath/fitness/womens’ mags, I find that they all say the same thing, and it’s nothing that I can’t find on the internet anyway. I’d rather look up a Hal Higdon running program and tweak it to my needs if I want a structured program, or look up youtube videos of core muscle workouts and stretches. Magazines cost money – the internet is much, much cheaper and has much more information anyway! I also prefer reading blogs to articles in womens’ mags – blogs are so much more personal and interesting and interactive in a way – a much more accessible way for people to feel challenged to change something they are not happy with, for example, that they may need to jump up off the couch and exercise more. :-)

I won’t even get started on the Cleos/Cosmos – encouraging girls to give men oral s*x to get what they want??!! No thanks!!

(Sorry for the long rant! Great discussion topic, by the way!) :-)

Adrienne May 10, 2010

I used to be a HUGE magazine junkie! I cringe at the thought of how much money I used to waste. The only magazines I read now are Runner’s World for fitness because it’s actually useful, and Vogue (because I work in fashion and just have to) :-)

Most “women’s” magazines are full of useless crap articles, and regurgitate the same headlines and stories over and over….a colossal waste of time.
To me, the worst offenders are Oxygen and Muscle and Fitness Hers (for fitness) and Cosmo and Glamour (for lifestyle)….barf.

ps. yay for blogs like yours!!!

Trish May 10, 2010

Oh I love magazines. I have stacks of them everywhere. Sure, some can be problematic. You just have to select the best ones – and even then, still be wary.

Their are some I dislike – Cosmo, for one. It just seems so trashy. I was totally put off by their confession stories. People were just rotten and I didn’t want to read that negativity. I’d prefer an informative, well-written article. I like some fluff, but I also want substance. And I want intelligence. I like it to be well-written. Even if you’re writing about make-up and skin-care stuff, it can be done intelligently.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2010

haha did you ever wonder if someone just made those stories up?? I always thought that!

AGS May 10, 2010

I’m sure half of it is made-up. . . but then — some real-life stories of my friends are so crazy, that I have to think some of it is true!

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind May 10, 2010

I actually love women’s magazines, and am not negatively affected by them (that I’m aware of, anyway).

lexi May 10, 2010

There are some women’s magazines that I do tend to pick up these days. I like Women’s Health- i do find, however, the workouts in Oxygen and healthy eating/clean eating tips to be more on point for me. I do like Marie Claire however, I think they often have more compelling/inspiring stories than other magazines. Runner’s World is great- I sometimes get them for free ( haha top secret)

Susan May 10, 2010

I’ve never actually been that into women’s magazines. I was never big into hair and makeup and all that stuff. I do buy fitness magazines now like Runner’s World, Bicycling, etc. It’s funny, because just the other night I was reading Oxygen Magazine, and my mom commented on how “you don’t see many cover models like that!” She was referring to the muscular woman in a cute bikini on the front. It never registered to me that she looked that different, but thinking back, almost all women on other covers have virtually no muscle mass, and look pretty darn weak. It’s a shame. When did people start thinking that’s what women should look like? I’ll take the biceps any day ;)

Jen May 10, 2010

I love health/fitness magazines. I think this is probably one of the reasons I love health/fitness blogs, because they offer a daily does of inspiration to be my healthiest. I have subscribed to Shape magazine for over ten years. I love their short snippets and clips, recipes, and they are also loaded with new workouts. I think I counted 5 new full body workouts in my last issue. I also love that they focus on total health not just being as thin as humanly possible.

I also enjoy Runner’s World and Clean Eating magazine :)

jenny (Green Food Diaries) May 10, 2010

i never read magazines, and never really have. the only magazines i can say i buy are design and music mags that virtually include no human portraits… i like that ad/campaign though. smart.

ps – your bunny stirring stick/spoon(?) made me smile quite big. love it!

Christine (The Raw Project) May 10, 2010

Lately I have not been reading many magazines, except for looking at the pics or celebrity snark ones. :-) I currently get Fitness Magazine thanks to a free promotion, but have been pretty bored with it. I can see how the ads and images in it and most fashion magazines could be damaging to our body images, they played a substantial role to my ED in high school.

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 10, 2010

Ducklings!! How cute are they?! So random that you were thinking about ducks last night. I subscribe to this daily email called DailyOM and the email the other day was about DUCKS! Coincidence? I think not. ;) They said, “…As we observe them, we see that ducks are denizens of three worlds—the world of air, the world of water, and the world of earth. As such, they have adapted themselves to be able to swim, fly, and walk, and they seek and find nourishment in more than one place. They are symbols of versatility and can inspire us to explore our own ability to adapt and find nourishment in a variety of places…” Maybe we all need to channel our inner duck. :)

Sara May 10, 2010

I only subscribe to Newsweek, but I’ve been a sometimes fan of Self and Women’s Health, although I feel that with any women’s magazine, their topics get really repetitive so I don’t read them constantly. I did kinda stop reading them even more after a very random conversation with my boyfriend. I was reading Self, and he looks over and says “why are all the pictures of half naked women?” and I hadn’t thought of it before, but it’s definitely true. We bombard ourselves with these images of beauty & health, even in “health magazines” and all it does is make us feel worse about not looking like that. I have a very random theory that all this staring at other women’s bodies has really messed our heads up, to the point that we are worse than men when it comes to looking at women & analyzing them. We’re 100x more judgmental and hard on ourselves than any man ever could be, and I think a lot of it comes from this onslaught of images. So I’ve been trying to avoid it in general. That ad from NEDIC is totally on target.

Tracey May 10, 2010

Hi, my name is Tracey and I’m addicted to magazines.

Seriously, I love looking at the glossy pictures and reading the articles in magazines. However, over the last couple years the magazines I purchase have changed. I used to the the glamour, cosmo, in style girl but now I’ve swited to health, self and real simple magazines.

Gossip magazines will always hold a place in my heart;)