Grilled Cashew Butter and Blueberry Sandwich

IMG_5618

I’m baaaaaaaaaaaack.

My fingers had such a nice break yesterday! :) I hadn’t done a Wordless Wednesday since last September.

I think it is a nice change every once and a while.  I also loved seeing how your comments changed when I just posted pictures as opposed to pictures and words. Many of you commented how you enjoyed putting together a story in your mind…I thought that was kind of fun!

I am playing around with the idea of doing a daily wordless afternoon post. Right now I generally post in the morning and then again at night, but it would be fun to have a wordless lunch post just to break up the day.

By the way, inside my wrap yesterday was my Golden Sweet Potato Soup from the other night!  I really do love that soup! So simple and comforting.

Swim #3 last night!

IMG_0524

Apparently, I was so excited my left cheek started to glow uncontrollably…? ;)

Swim #3:

• 15 minute warm-up (freestyle, breaststroke, flutter board)
  • 30 minute medium pace (freestyle, breaststroke)
  • 10 minute fast pace (freestyle, no stopping after each length)
  • 5 minute treading water to finish (I found treading water really easy! Wonder why?)

I didn’t keep track of laps because I was focusing more on technique rather than speed, but I would guess that I swam about 25 laps/1250 metres in about 55 minutes.

My goal was to start doing bilateral breathing which is when you breathe on both the left and right side, as opposed to just one side. I had only been breathing on my strong side (the right side) the last two sessions. It was tricky at first as my left side is not as strong, but after a few laps I picked it up and I am happy to say that I can now confidently breathe on both sides while doing freestyle. Eric is doing great with it too!

What I learned Day 3:

• Good swimmers are efficient and effortless swimmers (I learned this while watching swimmers in the fast lane.) They are smooth and graceful like swans.
  • Seeing myself improve and Eric improve is so exciting. We were so pumped on the drive home because we were feeling proud of ourselves. It feels awesome to learn a new skill again!
  • Don’t panic when the pool fills up with people and the waves start getting choppy. This is good practice for the tri! It was REALLY busy last night.
  • When you go to the late night swim, kiss the sauna goodbye because the entire place shuts down and you get kicked out. Can I hear an Awwww hellll nooo?

I checked our pool for adult lessons and there is currently one going on but it is full and we can’t get in. The next one isn’t until July. The wait list for private lessons is also 17 people long. So, my next step is looking for an instructor who is not affiliated with the pool and just teaches on the side. I find I am really craving some lessons because I really want my form to be the best it can be. At first, my thoughts were along the lines of just swimming so I can finish the race, but now Eric and I are starting to enjoy it so we want to improve!

We didn’t get home from the pool until about 10:45pm. Party animals, eh?

IMG_5597

I woke up ravenous this morning. I wanted carbs…and fast.

I made this for Eric yesterday and it was so amazingly good I decided to make it for breakfast.

IMG_5612

Grilled Cashew Butter and Blueberry Sandwich:

Ingredients:

• 3 pieces whole wheat bread
  • 2 tbsp Organic Blueberry Jam
  • 1 tbsp cashew butter
  • 2 tsp Earth Balance Margarine

Directions: Take 1st piece of bread and spread a layer of blueberry jam on top. Take 2nd piece of bread and place on top. Spread piece #2 with cashew butter and then add another layer of jam. Add third piece of bread and spread lightly with margarine. Place sandwich onto pre-heated frying pan (on medium heat), margarine side down. Now spread the top side of the bread with margarine. Grill on each side until golden brown and serve immediately.

This was inspired by Caitlin’s Grilled Banana Sandwich.

IMG_5586

Blueberry jam is fun!

IMG_5583

Intense, isn’t it? You could also use any kind of nut butter or jam too.

IMG_5589

Onto the pan it goes…

IMG_5592

The smell was quite amazing while cooking. Mmm.

IMG_5607

Oh my gooooosh this was so good.

IMG_5615

Sometimes a gal just needs bread, no?

The saltiness from the margarine played off the sweetness of the cashew butter and jam so well.

IMG_5623

Magnifique!

Today’s question- What forms of exercise challenge you like no other, no matter how good of shape you are in?

I said to Eric last night, ‘No matter how many miles I run or how many intense cardio workouts I do, swimming is one heck of a challenging workout!’ I thought my lungs were in great shape until I started swimming. I am anxious to see if swimming improves my running endurance. Any runner/swimmers out there want to comment on this?

For me:

• Stair walking/running (I used to do 28 floors of stairs in my condo everyday)
  • Swimming
  • Yoga
  • Running, esp. hill or trail running

See you later alligator!

1 Ali @ Redhead Reports April 29, 2010

Wow, that sandwich looks delicious!

No matter what shape I’m in, I think running will always be challenging for me. But I love it!

2 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 29, 2010

I have never tried cashew butter before, but that sandwich looks SO good!!

Last night I did Bikram yoga for the first time ever. It was actually my first time ever doing yoga outside of my living room in “public.” It was SO challenging but felt amazing and I cannot wait to go back. I also find the stairclimber and running uphill to be always challenging.

3 Bee April 29, 2010

That breakfast looks delicious! Gotta keep it in mind for a day I wake up craving bread (yep that happens!).

For me it’s running that challenges me the most. Some people can take long breaks and still maintain their running mojo, for me, I take a 3 day break and I’m back at… well not square one but similar. But you know what? That is exactly why I like running so much. I know I’m challenging myself and my body to do something that doesn’t come easy.

4 Jenn April 29, 2010

Swimming is right up there on the challenging side for me. I can run for 21 km and still want to go for a bit. Put me in the pool for to practice and I have to really work to keep up. I really have enjoyed watching my own progress from having a hard time swimming one length to building up to swimming laps in a Masters class.
Sandwhich looks delicious!! The In a Jiffy Spelt Burgers are amazing!! I made a batch on Tuesday and they will be gone today after lunch!! Thank you so much for sharing so freely your delcious recipes!! i have to stop running to the grocery store everyday after school!!!

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2010

Glad you liked the recipe! :) Congrats on your swimming progress too…I hope that is me some day!

6 Jessica @ How Sweet April 29, 2010

Plyos and functional training! It kills me everytime.

That sandwich looks to dieeeee for.

7 Kara April 29, 2010

I’ve been a swimmer all my life (lifeguard, swim team, etc.) so swimming isn’t a challenge but it doesn’t mean it’s not a workout.

Running is definitely my biggest challenge right now as I’ve never been a runner. I’m at the stage of 5 minutes running and that’s an incredible accomplishment for me! Swimming comes easily to me but running is so hard on my body and mind.

8 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 29, 2010

Weightlifting for sure.

Tabata.

Swimming too because my breathing sucks.

9 Mel April 29, 2010

When freestyle starts to feel comfortable and like you could swim for hours it’s really great! Until you can get lessons, there is some great information on http://www.swimsmooth.com which I have found really helpful. You can download an animation of “Mr Smooth” swimming too.

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2010

We checked that website out last night actually- it’s great!

11 Mel April 29, 2010

Ha ha! Great minds…

Having learnt to swim properly myself recently I thought it might help to share 3 things that have really helped me:

1 – make sure you breathe out the whole time your face is under water, no holding your breath!

2 – ‘catch up’ rather than windmilling the arms – don’t start pulling the left hand through the water until the right hand is about to enter

3 – body roll! You slip through the water better on your side than flat, and you can practice the right position by doing the kick lengths lying on your side with one arm outstretched superman style (the other by your side)

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2010

great tips!! I was trying the body roll last night, but I determined that I need to get my bilateral breathing down a bit more before I start focusing on the body roll. I can totally see how it will help streamline the stroke.

13 Mel April 29, 2010

I’m not an expert by any means, but I think you’ll find the body roll will help with the breathing on the trickier side – you don’t need to turn your head as much if you are already on your side!

14 Therese April 29, 2010

Great idea on the sandwich!!! YUM!

I find any sort of stair climbing and my spin class to be challenging! I hate stair climbing but I do spin every week!

15 VeggieGirl April 29, 2010

May I come over for one of those sandwiches? I’ll bring blondies to exchange! :-D

I’m a yoga girl – it always challenges me.

16 Debbi April 29, 2010

The sandwich looks amazing! Great pictures!

17 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 29, 2010

Looks good–I like the idea of putting it on the stovetop vs just toasting each piece of bread. Totally trying that!

18 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 29, 2010

That is a late night swim indeed! I bet you slept great!

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2010

yess I slept like a log. A peaceful log. ;)

20 kathleen April 29, 2010

Anything with running in it. I have never been a runner so at 41 it is challenging for me.

21 Diana April 29, 2010

That sandwich looks amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing Angela. Oh my god. I love bread so much. ahaha

22 Chrissy April 29, 2010

I started swimming a few weeks ago, in preparation for my first tri on July 18th (!) and I couldn’t believe what a cardio workout it was! I could barely swim 25 meters without having to stop and gasp for breath. I’ve improved a lot since then AND I’ve noticed that I’m also running faster than ever before. Cross training works! I am a believer!

Also, that sandwich looks delicious.

23 Sarah April 29, 2010

Hands down it is running. I have always struggled with it and at the same time keep doing it because I want to be good at it. :)
BTW my mom use to make me griled peanut butter sandwichs all the time growing up. Now I make them with almond butter and they are just as good. It is a comfort food for me.

24 Jes (Self Motivation) April 29, 2010

Congrats on the great swim! I am currently waiting for the summer swim lessons at my gym to start. I took lessons over a year ago for total immersion swimming, but I could never get the whole breathing while swimming concept. After much frustration I quit trying, but I’m ready to give it another shot. Congrats again! Thanks for the inspiration!

25 Rachel (Suburban Yogini) April 29, 2010

Running and Hiking

I find I can cycle or swim forever but because of my back after a mile or two of running or five miles of hiking I’m done….

Yoga on the other hand is hard for different reasons; more to do with the mind than the body!

26 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 29, 2010

I can run with no problems, but when it comes to stairs, I’m huffing and puffing by the 8th flight! I feel like I’m in great shape, but maybe those stairs are proving me wrong. ;)

27 Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 29, 2010

oh yes . . . sometimes a girl does just need bread!

28 Stina @ Girl Can April 29, 2010

in my experience as a swimer,swimming never made running any easier for me. I actually dreaded run days becuase they were so hard. I would always say to my swim coach “If I wanted to run I would have joined the track team. Now can we get back in the pool?!”

I think the transition from runner to swimmer is easier than swimmer to runner. When I first started running I actually caught myself holding my breath because that’s what I was used to doing for swimming.

Stairs are my kryptonite. I can run miles, but stairs have my gasping and panting.

29 Anne April 29, 2010

I used to swim in college. Great exercise but I think hard core swimmers are suseptible to shoulder problems later in life. Try treading water with your arms in the air, in other words, just use your legs to keep you afloat, that’s a really great workout.

30 Lizzie April 29, 2010

looking at that sandwich is making me so hungry!

for some reason hiking ALWAYS kicks my butt, no matter how good of shape i’m in. same goes for ballet, i’ve been dancing since i was three and i always get winded by the end of routines.

congrats on the swimming improvement!

31 Paige @ Running Around Normal April 29, 2010

I love reading your lessons learned from swimming. My parents have a pretty big pool in their backyard…it makes me want to get over there and swim some laps this summer!

32 Lauren (Health on the Run) April 29, 2010

That sandwich looks heavenly!

I think swimming is definitely one of the toughest workouts out there. I really should do more of it, but I’m such a slow swimmer (and don’t belong to a pool). One of my goals is to do a triathlon someday, so I’ve REALLY been enjoying following your progress in your training. Since I’ve totally related to how nervous you were about swimming, it’s super encouraging to see how quickly you feel like you’ve improved!

Besides swimming, the other type of cardio that I always find to be wicked tough is the stairmaster at the gym. No matter how good of shape I think I’m in, that thing makes me sweat like no other!

33 Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 29, 2010

OH my goodness… that sandwich looks seriously AMAZING!!!!

Swimming is crazy hard!!! No matter how in shape you are.

34 Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 29, 2010

That looks amazing. I think I might have to try that.

The hardest exercise for me is indoor cycling and kickboxing (I have a tough instructor that changes it every class and works us REALLY hard)

35 shannon (the daily balance) April 29, 2010

love that this sandwich is double-stacked – you don’t mess around! my kinda girl ;)

36 Lauren April 29, 2010

That sandwich looks amazing, and I will seriously be trying it someday soon.

I feel like no matter how long I run, it’s always hard. I like to hope that some day it will feel just like walking, but I have a feeling I wouldn’t even want to do it anymore if it got that easy. A good challenge is fun!

37 Lizzie April 29, 2010

I danced for the last 6 years and found that my running made me so much more able to get the most out of my ‘boot camp’ style classes. I’ve taken a break in the last year (save some $$, focus on running), but might get back into now that I’m freezing out my gym membership for the summer.

I never really got the whole “PB & J” concept – and then I started putting it on toast for pre-run eats and found it’s not as gross as . . say, donuts for breakfast :) PB and . . what do you call? That marshmallow stuff? That’s weird!! :) Yours looks very yummy!

38 Cyclist Kate April 29, 2010

Oh my gosh–I’m a cyclist (obviously, heh), but I took several months off over the winter because our weather was so bad. I was just doing 45 minute swim workouts twice a week and an hour of Pilates 3 times per week. When I got back on the bike to do my 27 mile loop, I took 10 MINUTES off of my time. Then I went out again and took another 5 off! I was blown away! I went from that loop taking me an hour and 55 minute to an hour and 40 minutes, just by swimming and doing Pilates!

And to answer your question–all workouts still challenge me hugely! As I like to say, “with cycling, it doesn’t get easier, you just get faster.” And with Pilates, there’s always another level, another small tweak to perfect the movement. Love it!

39 Heather Dawn April 29, 2010

That sandwich looks delicious!!
It is awesome that you and Eric are enjoying swimming so much! It must be fun training with your husband!

40 Heather (Heather's Dish) April 29, 2010

holy WOW to that sandwich! looks like a dream come true to me :)

i gotta say that hiking always ALWAYS kicks my tail! i’m lucky enough to live in Colorado where the trails are plentiful…and i know that the altitude has a lot to do with it, but it’s always fun, always different, and always challenging. gotta love a workout like that!

41 Camille April 29, 2010

Oh man, delicious!
Running is always a challenge for me because once I go a certain distance I can still go faster or longer.

42 Kellie@obsessivelyhealthy April 29, 2010

Yoga is challenging for me. When I run, I can just turn everything off in my head and run, but with yoga I have to focus on form, breathing and balance.

43 Sarah April 29, 2010

swimming has definitely improved my running endurance! especially hill workouts, which used to be really challenging. I think swimming is the greatest thing you can do to cross-train, no matter what sport :)

44 Amber K April 29, 2010

Running is the most challenging for me mentally. Any other exercise at the gym and I can be reading, but with running it gets a bit trickier. I have to live fully in my mind even with the music pumping. So mentally it is a huge challenge for me!

I love Caitlin’s grilled banana sandwich! I had one just yesterday with strawberries and almonds on the side.

45 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope April 29, 2010

Looks good! I love your bathing suit. I went last night to sports authority to try on suits. omfg, what a nightmare. I never have issues, but with one pieces? i don’t understand how they size these things. i wear a size small (0-3 in jeans), but for the suits, a size 8-10 fit me and it still feels tight. also, i couldn’t get any that i really liked because i have no freakin’ boobs and without the padding in the bust, i seriously looked like a 10 year old girl. waah

46 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope April 29, 2010

just to clarify, i do not care about the size/# on the label, i am just annoyed at how i don’t understand their sizing and have to try on 345345 suits lmao

47 Lauren April 29, 2010

I have finished my competitive swimming career, but now I like to take advantage of our on-campus pool before I head out for a run. I still stretch after my swim before lacing up, but there is nothing better than the full body workout that swimming offers! I usually exit the water feeling stretched out and refreshed. No doubt it helps my running endurance. :)

48 Nichole April 29, 2010

Blueberries are everywhere! Glad that there is another great recipe to try.

Rock climbing is one workout that kills me like no other. Putting your hair in a ponytail the day after climbing is damn near impossible.

49 Rosie April 29, 2010

Hahaha your glow comment made me crack up!

50 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 29, 2010

Swimming really challenges me the most since you can only breathe at certain times. That sandwich looks absolutely fantastic!

51 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 29, 2010

That sandwich is amazing-looking. I usually make grilled pb&j but I totally need to mix it up. That blueberry jam is calling my name!

52 Grace aka Triathlonbabe April 29, 2010

Great job for you and Eric on your swim practices…practice…practice is exactly what will get you where you want to be as a swimmer. If you can get those lessons on technique to make you more efficient, that will help.

Yummy sandwich, is this margarine you use the good kind, I’ve always heard horror stories about margarines and how they are considered plastic.

I am a runner/cyclist/swimmer. I love to run at my own pace and in my own zone, no competition except with myself. I used to be challenged by swimming, but I became a pretty strong swimmer after doing so many masters swim classes and triathlons.

My 2 biggest challenges in workouts would have to be some of the yoga poses in my yoga practices and cycling hills. We have a street on our cycling route in Dallas by White Rock Lake called Loving Dr. (Torture hills is more like it). It is one of the steepest roads I’ve ever ridden on. My hubby can get up to the top with no issues, it takes me awhile….not sure if it is that my quads are just not strong enough, but I tackle it every single time. Believe it or not, north Texas does have some hilly areas and they are really harsh.

53 Mary April 29, 2010

Angela, where do you swim at? I know that my local YMCA where I go has a fit swimmer class on tues and thurs mornings. it’s like a giant adult swim lesson :)

54 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad April 29, 2010

Lunges…especially plyo lunges ALWAYS challenge me! They are killer.

55 Emmanuelle April 29, 2010

OH.MY. I HAVE to make that sandwich!

There are always yoga poses to challenge me. And I plan to start running when I’m done with my evening course in June, this has always been hard for me and I’ve always hated it, but now I want to give it a try.

56 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 29, 2010

Here’s my “Awww, hell no!” for you. That would make me sad :(
I never would have thought to put cashew butter & blueberries together, but it’s just like a fancy pb&j! Sounds delicious- thanks for being creative for me :)

57 Sarah April 29, 2010

Hi Angela, I don’t know if I’ve ever commented…but I love your blog! You got me turned onto green smoothies last year and I am completely in love with them now!!

That sandwich looks amaazing!!! I will be making it soon.

I so wish that I was a runner… I have never been able to make myself get into a routine of doing it though…my body and lungs seem to rebel. Something to strive toward, maybe!

58 Lisa April 29, 2010

Swimming is my first sport (and first love) so I got that out of the way. Being able to swim constant laps has really helped me with my running and biking abilities. The only thing I struggle with is sitting on a bike for long periods of time.

59 Kacy April 29, 2010

I really, really want to learn to swim. My gym has a pool and I need to just bite the bullet I think.

That sandwich looks insanely good!

60 sarah (shep) April 29, 2010

i was a competitive, year-round swimmer from age 5-17, and i can tell you that swimming and running are COMPLETELY different! i could not run a mile without stopping while in the prime of my swimming, and now that i’ve been out of competitive swimming for a couple of years (i’m 20), i’m 100% a runner (first half marathon this sunday!). they are awesome for cross-training each other, but they use your lungs and muscles in such different ways that you can be amazing at one and horrible at the other!

61 Tyrah April 29, 2010

I think that sandwich is what I’ve been craving but didn’t know it =) Excited to try it, what great thinking!
Running is always challenging for me, always.

62 Keri@unlazykeri April 29, 2010

Spinning is always challenging for me. I go with one of my friends and she can spin her little butt off while I am gasping for breath and counting seconds until the end of the class. But we also run together sometimes and I run circles around her! So I guess it’s all in what your body is used to…

63 Claire April 29, 2010

Great swim! I agree that swimming is pretty much always challenging..hot yoga is too for me. Running can always be made difficult if you push yourself and increase your expectations. That bfast looks so yummy…I can’t believe I havent had cashew butter yet!

64 Jaya April 29, 2010

Without a doubt, the prowler is my lifelong nemesis/favourite. It’s the only thing that has ever caused me to lose my lunch..and I have an iron stomach! I think it’s probably the on of the most demanding/effective conditioning tool ever. We used to do 5x30m weighted sprints with it and on alternate days, we did parachute or weighted-sled sprints and I would define that as the most painful but fit period of my existence. If you ever get the chance to push a prowler, I can’t recommend it enough!

65 Sarah April 29, 2010

I am partial to yoga. I just love that no matter how “experienced” I am, there is always another challenge. It’s about the path, not the destination.
Just talking about yoga gets me excited!
What kind of yoga do you do?

66 Christina April 29, 2010

If you want a SUPER intense workout that will make you drip sweat try INSANITY (video’s by BeachBody)….I can run 10 miles and not sweat as much as I do when I do an insanity workout…seriously it is unreal.

67 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com April 29, 2010

someone needed to tell elvis of this sandwich back then… it would be his new love hehe.

any ab exercises still beat me up good. oh and since u mentioned swimming.. that too always makes me sore the next day no matter how good of shape im in. xoxo <3

68 Allison @ Food For Healing April 29, 2010

thats awesome. I wouldn’t mind being able to do stairs. I’m not THAT out of shape, but when it comes to stairs they always kill me. I would like to improve on that.

I can’t really see myself swimming, i’m too scared of water. I panic when my head is under water.

69 Carissa April 29, 2010

Now THAT’S a sandwich!! It’s nice to know that even grown-ups can enjoy a PB+J.. or CB+B ;) Yum, yum!!

70 kayla April 29, 2010

Angela-
As a long time reader, I know you’ve done this before, but could you please break down your calorie distribution for the day? Like on average (and I know you don’t count) how much do you estimate for bfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks to reach your total? I’m toying with the idea of raising my bfast from 300 to 500 as I reach maintnince(sp)..

71 AGS April 29, 2010

Hi there,

Angela has a couple of posts on how she stopped counting calories, so doing an average would be difficult. BUT, if you poke through the about/FAQ tabs, you’ll find a GREAT post/page on what she eats most days. You can probably do your own ballpark estimate from there.

As a suggestions, when I moved into a simple maintenance state with weight, I simultaneously moved into simply eating when I was hungry. Like this:
(1) Plan 5-6 meals/day taking calories into account –> (2) Plan 5-6 meals/day w/out worrying about calories –> (3) Plan a little, but generally go with what my stomach tells me, and the habits I’ve acquired. After awhile, I found a good balance. Perhaps you could try that, as well?

72 AGS April 29, 2010

You could do your own quick estimate from 3 days of the series “a week of blogging what I eat”. . .

73 kayla April 29, 2010

great! thankyou!!

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2010

Hi Kayla,

It is really hard for me to estimate how many calories I eat in a day because I really try not to focus on it anymore…but I would guess between 1700-2200 depending on the day’s activity level. I have a very physical job so I do eat more now than I used to at a desk job.

As for how I spread out my calories, each of my three meals tends to be about the same size approx, perhaps with my dinner being the smallest out of all 3. It varies I guess!

Goodluck with your goals!

75 lindsay April 29, 2010

wow, that sandwich reminds me of when I used to make grilled almond butter and banana/honey sandwiches. So warm and gooey inside. Perfect for after a hard swim!

76 Wei-Wei April 29, 2010

OMG! That sandwich sounds DELIIIIIICIOUS! :D:D I’ve always loved grilled sandwiches… This looks delightful! :D (I love PB&J by itself, grilled is even better! :D)

I’ve always found any type of running really hard on me. I’ve never been a runner my whole life, and I would much rather prefer swimming, walking, or dance. I simply cannot run :( I’m slow and it hurts like hell and all I can ever think about while running any distance is how far I have to go!

I’ve never really properly done yoga before… I’ve heard many great things about it from many different sources, but I guess that classes are just a little out of the question right now? There’s no time… and they tend to be expensive here in China :(

Have a great day ahead! :D

Wei-Wei

77 Bree April 29, 2010

For me – definitely swimming, stair climbing, and now yoga! Swimming has always been hard for me.

That sandwich…holy yum!

78 John April 29, 2010

Swimming gets me everytime because I haven’t learned to swim with my head in the water yet. I have to work harder to make up for that lack of technique.

79 Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary April 29, 2010

If I had the back, knees and ankles for running I’d say that, but since I don’t run it goes a little something like this…

1) stepmill of death faster than level 12 for any longer than a min or two
2)swimming with bilateral breathing!
3) cycling in the wind
4) cycling on a hilly course

80 Kelly April 29, 2010

I am a swimmer at heart…my dad was a swimmer, too, and I love that connection with him (he is actually ranked top 5 in the world in his age group for a few swimming events this year!)

You will definitely have benefits from swimming and running. I started doing triathlons about 5 years ago, and love, love LOVE them! Having three disciplines to train for is a lot of fun, and some days I say to myself – do I feel like cycling, swimming or running today…it is nice to not have to be just running or just swimming all the time…

One thing that I noticed for me with the transition from swimming to running is that my ankles would be more sore – as a swimmer, and a breaststroker, ankle flexibility was really key in my events, and then when I would start running for track season, it would take a bit for my body to get used to the different motion and muscle use…

A great thing about triathlons, though? By the time you get to the run during the race – your body is so warmed up that I find that I sometimes have my best paced runs after the swimming and cycling! Good luck with your training! If I lived in Canada I would definitely love to help coach your swimming!!

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2010

I too am really enjoying the mix of activities!

82 Lauren April 29, 2010

I’m a runner and every time I try to swim, I feel like I’m going to have a heart attack!

My sister’s a swimmer and every time she tries to run, she swears she is going to die.

We’re both in great shape, but no matter how good of shape we are in, our bodies are in shape for what they do most: running for me, and swimming for her. It’s different muscles, different breathing. Whew! I’m out of breath just thinking about it!

83 Kristen April 29, 2010

I started doing triathlons about a year and a half ago and swimming was always my worst of the three sports. This year I stumbled upon the Total Immersion Swimming books and DVDs and they totally changed my swim workouts from an hour of struggling to an hour of swimming. Definitely a plus! :) I recommend the Easy Freestyle DVD and the Total Immersion book – so helpful! Congrats to you and your husband on this big undertaking – triathlon is so much fun, you’ll love it!

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2010

thanks for your suggestions!

85 Tay April 29, 2010

That looks delicious!! Is your pool a 50 meter long pool? If it’s only 25 meters long, one lap is from wall to wall, so I’m pretty sure you actually swam 50 laps!! :-) Spinning. That’s hard! No wait – pilates/yoga. I just don’t have the patience and flexibility and I get so bored! I need to work on that though.

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2010

Yup its 25 m long…I was told that one lap is there and back (2 lengths)…now im confused?

87 Jenny April 29, 2010

:) it’s because you breathe for different muscles when you swim than you do for running. I am a runner, and swimming is always hard for me because I don’t know how to breathe for those muscles!

88 Becki April 29, 2010

Hey Ang!
did you know that there was a swimming school in Milton? They might be able to help you! It’s called Carol Murry I believe..let me know if you want some more info, as it’s right at the end of my street.

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2010

Yes I actually just found it today! Thank you :)

90 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 29, 2010

What an awesome looking breakfast sandwich! I am so NOT creative like you are with breakfast. I can come up with interesting stuff for dinner, even lunch… but breakfast? Not so much. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

91 Lauren April 29, 2010

28 floors??!! That’s impresive!

92 amie April 29, 2010

heyo! like i’ve said before, i’ve swam competitively all my life but i just started running in the past couple of years. when i first started running i was shocked about how little i could do before feeling totally exhausted but i could swim for hours without getting tired.

93 Liz April 29, 2010

This “recipe” was also on GOOP today – Are you feeling your inner Gwynneth? Hee…

Looks delish!

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2010

Really? Do you have a link?

95 Liz April 29, 2010

It’s amongst Gwynneth’s offerings to pop in your kidlette’s lunchbox…

Of course it’s not exact – Much simpler – But I thought it was interesting that the universe seems to be directing us towards almond butter and jelly sandwiches today… Wonder what that means???

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2010

haha I love that she used sprouted bread! yum. :) Yes I do think it is a sign to harness your inner child and eat one! ;)

97 Mandiee April 29, 2010

i’m so glad to see you’re enjoying swimming! my mom actually teaches so it’s a shame you don’t live in michigan. keep going strong, my dear :)!

have a lovely day!
xox

98 Liz April 29, 2010

Hey Angela — I’ve been swimming over 20 years and never have been able to translate swimming endurance with running. I wish I could! Swimming 1 mile (approx. 72 laps) is the equivalent to running 4 miles in the amount of energy your body expends… so that’s why it is such a great workout! Keep up the good work!

99 Quinn April 30, 2010

That triple decker looks to die for!

100 Kath April 30, 2010

Everyone says swimming is so hard! I wonder what I’m doing wrong :( I do get out of breath when I swim reallllly fast, but I can’t sustain that for more than a few laps because my muscles get tired! Wish we could swim together!