Swim, Eat, Repeat

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 23, 2010

I can finally go swimming!

IMG_4946

I found this amazing store called Swim & Sports in Mississauga. It is basically a Triathlon superstore! They have everything from training & racing swimsuits, to biking and running gear!

Everyone who works there is SUPER friendly and helpful (Hi Kate!). I was just blown away by the service I received. Also, if you are training for a triathlon you get 10% off which is always helpful.

I finally decided on this cute TYR training suit in royal blue and neon green- it is so me! And it has a fun criss-cross/open back. ;)

IMG_4949

I tried on NIKE, TYR, Speedo, and a couple other brands, and TYR was by far the best fit for me. It was the only brand I tried on that had adjustable straps which is a MUST for someone like me who has a long torso. The Speedo suits were sooooo short on my torso!

I also tried on a million pairs of goggles and decided on these TYR Nest Pro Training Goggles:

IMG_4950

Let me rewind a bit to last night’s dinner…

IMG_4895

I had a baked sweet potato with coconut milk drizzled over top + sprinkled with curry powder.

IMG_4896

and some leftover Vegan Green Bean Casserole!

IMG_4899

By the way, I got some exciting news yesterday!

I am officially accepted into the Organic Harbourside Farmer’s Market. :) (I have a fun announcement coming up on Monday regarding this.)

I got a tip that a store called XS Cargo was selling the 10 foot canopy tents (that market vendors need) for just $69! The lowest price we had found was Costco for $269. We made a beeline to XS Cargo and got our 10ft x 10 ft canopy tent. I’m just hoping it isn’t cheap and going to leak on me when it rains…

I also got these fun polka-dot glasses. :) A set of 10 for $7.99.

IMG_4923

It should be noted that Eric hates these glasses. He said they are ‘too retro’. LOL. He basically hates all my dishware (more on that tomorrow!).

Retro they may be but they won my heart!

IMG_4924IMG_4915

I had a green monster for breakfast this morning in my new retro glass. It featured 1 cup hemp milk, 2 ice cubes, spinach, Amazing Grass wheatgrass powder, 1 banana, and chia seeds.

IMG_4908

Lunch was very quick since I was in the middle of a baking day…Ezekiel toast spread with a generous amount of Roasted red pepper hummus and tomato sauce. I ended up switching the banana for an apple because I wasn’t feeling another banana.

IMG_4938

The apple was from a bag of organic gala apples. Why are the bagged apples always so tiny and bruised?!

IMG_4943

I am preparing for the next Glo Bar variety pack that I will hopefully be launching early next week. This weekend I also have to do MORE trials of the GF & Raw Glo Bar (just when I thought I was done I jinxed myself!). I got great feedback on the taste, but people want the bar physically thicker– SO I need to re-work the recipe now. I also need to beg my husband to help me fix the error on my website re-design (the search isn’t working properly). Hopefully he saves the day so I can launch this baby!

Eric and I are off for our first swim tonight. :)

Lots to pack…

IMG_0425

In my bag:

• Towel
  • Swim cap
  • Goggles
  • Hair clip (to put my hair up post shower)
  • Travel brush
  • Travel shampoo + conditioner
  • hand sanitizer (you never know!!!!)
  • soap
  • Secret deodorant (see below)
  • Water (not shown)

I was not 100% satisfied with the homemade coconut oil deodorant. It worked pretty good, but I think it needs some tea tree oil and some essential oils added to the recipe. I hope to re-work the recipe at some point, but for now I am back to Secret.

I must admit I have butterflies about going swimming tonight! I am a bit nervous. I have not swam laps in almost 8-9 years!!!! I hope it goes well for both of us! I am trying to convince Eric to take a swim lesson with me and so far he is not game.

IMG_4957

Tonight’s question- Did you do anything today or this week that scared you? Did you give a presentation? Ask for a raise? Try a new activity? Ask someone out on a date? Brag about it below!

Updates:

See you tomorrow morning for the 1st swim report and the winner of the Chocolate Amazing Grass giveaway!

Jin April 23, 2010 at 6:04 pm

ugh, bagged apples always seem to be bruised for me as well!

One thing I love about lululemon bags are the phrases printed on it.

As for me, I gave a French presentation dressed up as a painter with a fake mustache and toute ca!
I looked hilarious….!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010 at 6:23 pm

haha!!! you win.

Lisa April 23, 2010 at 6:05 pm

GOOD LUCK! I love swimming. :) :)

I suggest nose plugs and earplugs as well. It helps A LOT.

Bec April 23, 2010 at 6:08 pm

cute suit, hope the swim goes well :)

Jaimers April 23, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I have a long torso too. Hooray for odd, frustrating body traits!

Jane April 24, 2010 at 7:49 am

I can never find a one piece for this reason too…have you found any stores that carry long bathing suits?

Lauren M. April 23, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I do something everyday that scares me! I’m a student teacher (aka: full time teacher who doesn’t get paid!) and teaching the students is scary!! I will get used to it someday I’m sure.

On a side note: I just bought my very first jar of coconut butter (artisana brand). What should I do with it first? I want to make a coconut butter worthy recipe that will let it shine! Any suggestions? Anyone?

nut April 23, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Oh coconut butter is wonderful. Straight out of the jar :)
Or on bread, in oatmeal, spread on baked goods…mixed with cream cheese or yogurt and spread in oats or bread….possibilities are endless.
I wish it was not so expensive…too much to buy frequently because I eat it all too soon!

Fit Lizzio April 23, 2010 at 6:14 pm

i feel asleep in my makeup last night and when i woke up and looked in the mirror..it scared me haha

Allison @ Food For Healing April 23, 2010 at 6:18 pm

i got rid of a big nasty ugly black spider today! that was pretty scary, and i was all alone so i had to attend to it myself haha

I’m super scared of water, i have a big fear of drowning, and i can’t swim. I am like a rock, i sink.

Michelle April 23, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I’m training to manage my store and I conducted my first interview today! Scary!

Amy April 23, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I started with a new dietician today. I’m in recovery for anorexia and have lost weight. This was very scary and challanging.

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place April 23, 2010 at 6:25 pm

good luck with your swim!! and congrats on getting into the farmer’s market!! awesome news!

This week, this is what I did that scared me: I took my ACE Certified Personal Training exam and PASSED!! :)

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary April 23, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Didn’t really do anything scary this week, but loving the swimming. I miss the lap pool my old apt had!!

nut April 23, 2010 at 6:33 pm

i have said it before, but i will say it again: u are amazing.

someday we ought to meet up , it would be nice…i feel like u are a celebrity :)

maybe when i get a better blog makeover and get my life together!

the marriage ref was on last night…i know u said u like that show!

Katie @ Balance 'N' Beans April 23, 2010 at 6:45 pm

This week, I joined a gym and tried a Zumba class! All by myself! :)

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 23, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I had two job interviews this week and had huge butterflies, even though they were just over the phone. I feel much more confident in person when I can express myself with smiles, hand gestures, etc. Still… it went well!

Lauren April 23, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Congrats on the Farmer’s Market! :)

I totally understand- I have a very long torso too!

Good luck on the swim tonight- remember our anticipation is always worse than the actual event!

And as for something scary this week, I wrote an exam…does that count? ;)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 23, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Good luck! I really like the suit. The only thing I have ever really done is get on stage for a fitness competition. The routine part scared me out of my mind even though I danced and was a gymnast!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 23, 2010 at 6:50 pm

I submitted a cover letter and resume for an internship! Gahhh!

Amanda April 23, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Cute swimsuit! Its all in the fit. If it doesn’t fit well you won’t want to swim. I hope you enjoy your swim later! Lessons are a good idea, I would need them too.

Christy April 23, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I did do something daring: agreed to a committed relationship!!

Midgetkeeper April 23, 2010 at 7:10 pm

That suit is cute!

I started training for a half marathon.

Oh and I bought tickets to fly home with my 2 kids by myself. THAT is really scary.

Jil April 23, 2010 at 7:12 pm

have fun!! wicked cute suit!! love the adjustable straps! i am a long torsoed gal as well…so that’s awesome!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 23, 2010 at 7:24 pm

I think the big bags of apples get tossed around more. :(

Camille April 23, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Congrats!

This week I dared to make my own pizza, something I have never done before :)

Mo April 23, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I LOVE those glasses! LOVE them!

Hangry Pants April 23, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I love the polka dot glasses.

Caitlin April 23, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I am running my first race (10K) tomorrow! This scares me but I am more excited than scared!! I love your blg, thanks for all the inspiration :)!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life April 23, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Those sweet potatoes look PHENOMENAL! I’m going to have to try those ASAP.
Congratulations on the Farmers Market! That’s so exciting! :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) April 23, 2010 at 7:41 pm

This week I finally decided that I needed to take the plunge and be vegetarian for my digestion. Hard choice to make but I’m excited to try it out and even bought a new cookbook tonight.

Congrats on the farmer’s market. If you ever move to Massachusetts I’d totally go to your farmer’s market to buy some :-)

Emily April 23, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I have just started swimming the past few months since quitting running in high school track because of a hip injury. I never swam much before, but I just went for it! And I love it!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 23, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Too retro? Nah- I love your new glasses! :)

And I love the idea of putting coconut butter on sweet potatoes, I need to try that!!

I love that lulu quote! I did lots of things that scared me this week… cut up a bunny :(, plus lots of other animals in class… but I survived! Maybe not the most interesting scary things, but at least I did it!

xo
K

Ro April 23, 2010 at 8:01 pm

sorry no answer to the Q b/c my life is boring at the moment. but i think i will try that baked sweet potato tonite! lol

Kath April 23, 2010 at 8:02 pm

I got a TYR too!!! It def. fit the best :)

[email protected] April 23, 2010 at 8:15 pm

love that swimsuit! aww swimming is so fun.

hmm this week i was really scared to make an important phone call that ive been avoiding. but i did it.. and even tho my heart was racing and my anxiety hit the roof i got through it. pat on my back. hehe

Nancy April 23, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Swim & sports is a wonderful little spot to go! That’s where the Boyf learned the trick of putting a plastic bag on to get the wetsuit on properly lol. The woman that owns it, was soo nice to us!

Lauren April 23, 2010 at 8:47 pm

This makes me laugh… I am a former collegiate swimmer, and that’s what we had to do to get on our racing suits. It could still be a 30 minute process, even with the bags!

Ashley April 23, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Hi Angela,

A great resource for you would be totalimmersion.net I’m not sure if they are still up on their website, but they had video clips of some of their drills. I taught swimming at a college for the last 4 years and I used their drills with beginners and advanced students alike. Their progression of drills really help focus a person on how to swim efficiently, how to work with the water and not against it. I found a clip on youtube that shows a before and after. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FrSTJLN_CY&feature=related
Do check TI out! Email me if you’d like more assistance or feedback, I’d be happy to help. If you videotape yourself swimming I could give you a few pointers technique wise. I also have a triathlon training program I could share with you too. I’ll shoot you an email.

Happy Laps!
Ashley

Red Head, Yellow Dog April 23, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I took a contracts final yesterday (finishing up my first year in law school!) Four hour long exam based on a whole semester of information!!! That was pretty terrifying :)

Run Sarah April 23, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Good luck swimming today! I love XS cargo, I bought amazing chairs there for a great deal. Allen hates ‘retro’ style anything too, but I love it.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie April 23, 2010 at 9:13 pm

TYR is the best brand for bathing suits! I always used them when I was competing.

Cyclist Kate April 23, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I haven’t commented before (relatively new reader!) but I just had to say something because this is too weird–I started swimming again last fall, taking a class at my university. And it TERRIFIED me!! I was so nervous the first few times, but I had recently bought a Lululemon water bottle with all of their quotes on it, and I used that “Do one thing a day that scares you” to get myself in the pool. It worked! Now I’m so glad I went through with it. I’m a much stronger swimmer and I feel fabulous–it added another dimension to my workouts.

[email protected] April 23, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I ran my 3rd Boston Marathon. I was pretty scared, but had SO MUCH FUN!

Britt April 23, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Re: natural deodorant – I just bought the Deodorant Cream by Soapwalla on Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/listing/35641572/deodorant-cream) and it’s fabulous. It works great, and it smells wonderful!

Jolene April 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I had to ask for a lot to get where I am in terms of my education. I wanted to do an honours degree, but I was teaching full time as a teacher. The honours classes in psychology are only offered in the day, so I had to ask the dean and some professors in the psychology department if there was another option. The profs ended up teaching the classes to me on their own time – the biggest favour they could have ever done for me. They did it because they wanted me to move forward to do a masters and PhD. I am so grateful, and also so glad that I worked up the courage to call someone and ask questions!

Dee April 23, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Good luck on your swim!

Actually, I made your nut butter parsnip fries today… I was scared I was going to mess up, but they ended up tasting AMAZING! :)

Lexi April 23, 2010 at 11:41 pm

i would love to try a TRI one day! u are definitely brave..i totally love that mantra of lulu’s, it is so so so true.. been to seminars in the past and every motivational speaker says giving back to others, and giving of time and doing things that scare you are what makes every day most meaningful.. i am going to take the leap to run a FULL marathon..with the goal being NYC – now THAT scares the bejeezus outta me!

Karla April 23, 2010 at 11:48 pm

I wish I could conquer my fears. I wish I had done a lot of things this week that I didn’t do :(
Not sure how to work up the nerve to talk about certain things, ask a boy out, ask for things I want, etc.
You’re a brave one!!

Maggs April 24, 2010 at 2:01 am

My workout tomorrow scares me. Way harder than any races I’ve done lately. Way way harder.

Wei-Wei April 24, 2010 at 3:18 am

I disagree with Eric – those glasses are CUTE and just the RIGHT amount of retro! ;)

One thing I did today that scared me: I had lunch at an American-style brewery/bar thing. I’m sure you can imagine… burgers, fries, fat fat fat (deep fears for me because of ED). I ordered BBQ Chicken Salad… and had some fries on the side! No guilt :) (Okay maybe a little, but still!)

Have fun on your swim! I had swimming in PE class yesterday :D

Wei-Wei

Lizzie April 24, 2010 at 6:10 am

LOVE the farmers market!! Are you sure you can’t set up at the one in our neighborhood?? :)

I am running my first 1/2 marathon this weekend – that’s scary enough for me for tomorrow! Though I do need to get better at trying new things. I think you’re amazing to be trying a tri!!

Shawna @ Balancing Me April 24, 2010 at 6:26 am

Good luck with your swim! I love that swim suit. Green is my favorite color so I love the trim on it. Good choice!!

I haven’t done anything that scares me this week…yet. Maybe today’s the day!

Shawna @ Balancing Me April 24, 2010 at 6:28 am

BTW – Retro dishes ROCK!!! I started collecting old pyrex glass bowls and storage containers (posted about them on earth day) a few years back. I LOVE THEM! And then my MIL said she had an entire set of vintage Corelle dishware in her attic that was my DH’s grandmother’s and I could have them. They are the best dishes ever!!! They are so thin and remind me of the 70’s, I love them!

Susan April 24, 2010 at 6:42 am

Well, since pretty much everything scares me, it’s easy to do one thing a day that does ;)

Ahh, well-fitted goggles are so important! I’m happy they were able to help you out. No matter what, they’re going to leak, but it’s nice to have ones with minimal leakage. Hope the swim went okay!!

Angela April 24, 2010 at 7:13 am

Have a blast swimming tonight! You will love the way it makes your shoulders “pop”

My husband & I went to church for the first time in the 10yrs we’ve been a couple! I was a bit nervous – but we both took alot away from the message & met some great people so I’m looking forward to going back!

Carolyn April 24, 2010 at 7:25 am

Cute suit! I really like the cut! =)
I hope you had a great time breaking it in!

And it’s funny you should ask that question:
A few days ago, I asked someone out on a date! It was a bit nerve-racking, but totally worth it! We had a wonderful time together last night.

Jane April 24, 2010 at 7:51 am

Have a wonderful weekend Angela!!

Triathlonbabe April 24, 2010 at 8:07 am

Nice swimsuit and it looks like it’s made of the same material that the Speedo Endurance suits I was telling you about, that last a lot longer than the polyester suits. Anyhoo, looks like you were all set. Just a little tidbit about swimming in chlorine for us ladies hair, make sure you wet your hair and even apply some type of leave in conditioner prior to placing your swimcap. This helps lock in moisture to your hair, because even though you have a cap on, does not mean your hair will not get wet and that chlorine is very damaging to our hair.

As for scary something, the only thing I am about to do today is type a letter to a family member who really hurt my feelings last weekend at my jewelry party. I feel like it’s better for me to put it in writing to her rather than tell her up front, to give her time to think about how hurtful her words were to me.

Have a super Saturday!!!

Lynne April 24, 2010 at 8:33 am

My scary thing this week was going to buy a used car! Those garages with the guys hanging around waiting for you to prang the car really scare me! Hee hee. Have a great day. :-)

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 24, 2010 at 9:10 am

i pretty much played it safe in everything this week…but i’ve been sick for 5 days, so i figure that’s ok just this once :)

i’m glad you mentioned that you have a long torso…i do too! and sometimes i feel like a crazy person because things don’t fit the way that they do on everyone else. at least now i know what sort of suit i should look for :)

Dani April 24, 2010 at 9:48 am

I stepped forward to be the President of our Spanish honor society at our university. I was a little nervous to, but really proud of myself for seizing the opportunity.

SmilingJudy April 24, 2010 at 10:10 am

I decided to _STOP_ tracking my food every day. scary.

On the deodorant, I don’t know if you have KMF in Canada, but this stuff: http://www.kissmyface.com/deodorantpages/deodorantpage.html is the bomb. Try the ones that says ‘Active Enzyme’. I’ve tried all sorts of “natural” deodorants and this is the first that’s worked for me.

Happy swimming!

lorraine April 24, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I gave a school presentation! :D