Tea Vs. Coffee

Rise and glow!

Glad you guys liked the Nut Butter Parsnip Fries! I am already planning on making them soon. I bet they would be wonderful with sweet potatoes or carrots. Yummerz.

Last night was quite fun…

IMG 0328 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

Eric got home 2 hours early which was a wonderful surprise! The weather was beautiful so we decided to unwind and go for a walk.

Our neighbourhood dog always greets us!

IMG 0334 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

We had a nice little jaunt! With our friend. ;) SO CUTE that he follows us on walks.

IMG 0336 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

Eric filled the bird feeder. [Sorry birds we forgot to fill it the past couple months…]

IMG 0353 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

Then we were off to the bike shop! We drooled over some super expensive road bikes with the thinnest tires I have ever seen!

IMG 0347 thumb   Tea Vs. CoffeeIMG 0346 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

The bike on the right is $1500!

We bought a $4 tube for my tire to replace the one that popped. We were going to leave the bikes for a tune-up, but the wait is currently 10 days so we are just going to use Eric’s brother’s equipment and get him to show us how (FYI Dave!!). ;)

Once home, I got to work on my GF + Raw Glo Bar. I was kind of at my wits end last night to be honest! I did two more trials during the day and both did not come out how I expected them to. Many deep breaths were taken, especially after I had dirtied every dish in the house. I have been working on this bar for months now and have probably tried at least 15 different trials and versions. But I won’t go down without a fight!

I worked on the recipe most of the night (including nutritional calculations). For my Glo Bars, it isn’t just about creating a great tasting bar (although that is obviously important), but it is also about making sure that the nutritional profile is good. I have created so many great tasting bars that got the axe only because the nutritional profile wasn’t good enough. Sometimes it can get frustrating trying to find that perfect fit of all of the dimensions that I have in mind!

Around 10:30pm, I headed back into the kitchen to give it one last shot of the day. I just didn’t want to go to bed with no real progress made. I have a good feeling about this one. The nutritional profile is amazing too. Here’s hoping it is the final version! It will be sent out to taste testers (Eric’s coworkers and local friends) for feedback.

Just as I was about to leave the kitchen, I remembered there was one last thing to make. Luckily Vegan Overnight Oats only take a couple minutes to throw together!

IMG 4451 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

I wanted to add some protein to this batch!

IMG 4434 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

I added 1/2 a scoop = 5 grams of protein.

IMG 4436 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

This powder tastes good. Sweet and chocolaty, but not overly so.

IMG 4439 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

IMG 4484 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

YUM!!! Loved this batch.

IMG 4483 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

All mixed up!

IMG 4486 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

It was delicious!

I had it with my two favourite teas…[PS- I found the website for Four O’Clock teas!]

IMG 4443 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

Today’s question- Are you a coffee person or a tea person? Or both? Are you trying to cutback on anything?

As you may have noticed, I am a huge tea person!

A strange but true tidbit about me- I didn’t have my first drink of tea until I was 18 and I didn’t try coffee until I was 23/24 yrs old!

My parents never drank coffee (only tea), so I never was around it much. When I met Eric his family almost fainted when they heard that I didn’t drink tea…they are Irish and English!!! If you can believe this, Eric grew up drinking cold tea from a bottle. Apparently it is a really common thing in Ireland!

I started to try drinking tea for one reason and one reason only- I wanted to impress Eric’s parents. LOL. :mrgreen: I hated it at first, but over time I started to love it. They still only drink black tea and make fun of me when I whip out my loose leaf Sencha at family get togethers!! ;) I try and tell them how tasty other kinds of tea are, but I am afraid that I will never help them see the other side. ;)

Sometimes I dabble with the idea of trying coffee again because so many people seem to love it, but I’m not sure I want to get hooked. What do you guys think?

~~~

I am going to spend a good part of the day working on the website re-design and finishing off (I hope!) the new Glo Bar.

Have a great day everyone! :)

saffity April 17, 2010

I’m totally a Tea drinker, I found out when I was 20 that I have ulcers (mild ones but still) so I try to stay away from coffee. I also have an iron issue so I stay away from caffeine as much as possible.

Right now I’m trying to cut processed sugar out of my diet and to cut down on sodium (I’m really bad for taking frozen dinners to work for lunch).

Anne April 17, 2010

I drink lots of tea and every once in a while need a coffee to go on my train commutes in the morning… When I was little I also had cold tea from a bottle – fennel or camomile – and I believe this is still very common, because the herbs are good for the little bellies. Now my favourite is chai-tea.

Diana April 17, 2010

I like coffee but drink it very rarely. My whole family are a bunch of coffee addicts and I honestly don’t wanna become one too. I do like tea too, especially during the colder months, it’s just comforting. :)

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 17, 2010

That is the cutest bowl. I can’t wait for your new raw bar to come out.

Cynthia (It All Changes) April 17, 2010

I’m a tea person at heart. I grew up drinking it because my mom drank it and I thought coffee was nasty. I love it in all flavors.

I like coffee occasionally as long as it is flavored and has some creamer in it. And now my doctor has prescribed one cup a day for my IBS so I’m testing out the best flavors.

Lauren April 17, 2010

Coffee mmakes me way to anxious!

I like green tea with organic, unsulphured molasses. The non-protein amino acid theanine found in green tea has calming effects, and I definitely think one cup every day (mid-morning) has helped to decrease my anxiety! Plus, the molasses give me some iron!

zoe April 17, 2010

i made my first batch of vegan overnight oats last night! i have yet to taste them this morning…waiting for my appetite to roll around ;) but i’m excited! and as for coffee and tea…caffine and my body are not friends :)! so i stick with non-caffeinated teas. i used to drink coffee and miss it from time to time so i’ll drink decaf sometimes just for the flavor.

Judy (Cookbook maven) April 17, 2010

I have never understood eating/drinking things you have to get used to. I don’t drink coffee. Never have.

My parents are huge tea drinkers, and I always hated it. Thought it tasted like hot water.

I didn’t start drinking tea until my 40s. Decided I needed to drink green tea for my health. I had to try a lot of different ones before I found one I liked, and I learned I like my tea really sweet. The curse of a sweet tooth.

Now I’m really into rooibus.

Mostly I don’t do caffeine at all.

Ana April 17, 2010

I am a tea person too! My favorites are herbal teas but I also love both green and white teas. I don’t like black tea though.
In Brazil we also drink herbal teas since young in age, many moms give chamomile or anise seed tea to their babies when they are colicky, there are even tiny “tea baby bottles” for this purpose!
My mom kept sending me bags with chamomile flower buds when I had my son, but I was a little afraid of giving him tea, I used them mostly to brew tea for myself!!
When I was growing up I used to spent the school breaks in my grandmas house (mom and dad worked full time then), and she had mint plants on her backyard, so almost every night she would go, grab us some leaves and steep them in boiling water to make mint tea, it was and still is my very favorite: mint tea made with fresh tea leaves. It was wonderful warm. And during the summer if we made a lot we would put in the fridge and have it cold on the next day, delicious! (plus I ate all the mint leaves, they were so good!)
I now have my own house and tiny backyard, but I do plant mint leaves just so I can keep making mint tea, it is the best ever!
Ana

Amanda April 17, 2010

I love both!

I recently got into tea after my first visit to Teavana. I tend to drink it later in the day especially if I’m trying to curb a sweet tooth : )

I’ve been drinking coffee for a few years now. I really love the smell and taste of it. My whole family drinks coffee! Both sides! I usually have my morning cup and not too much after. At my old job I used to drink alot of coffee, but I was getting up at 3am and not sleeping well.

Amanda April 17, 2010

*my job started at 4 am

Lizzie April 17, 2010

I often feel like I am the only person in the whole world who doesn’t drink coffee!! My husband and I just got back from our local coffee shop – him carrying a nice big serving of latte and clutching a small bag of fresh ground Costa Rican coffee for his coffee maker tomorrow morning (it was a free sample this morning and one taste meant it was definitely going to be brewing in our kitchen tomorrow morning). Me? Enjoying my small hot chocolate – ha!

I would like to love tea – I know it’s so good for you! And with a British father, it should be a given, right? A friend gave me a small tea box with different ones to try, so I need to get over my ‘tea’ fear and start trying them! :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 17, 2010

I love that bowl- and those oats look awesome!

I am a tea person, for sure. I find my body doesn’t handle coffee well, so I have it about once a week- I love my soy lattes! I have at least one cup of tea, every single day though. Usually 2-3, though!! My faves are Earl Gray, Japanese Sencha and pretty much all the Yogi Teas :)

xo
K

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama April 17, 2010

I am coffee girl all of the way. I do love tea but i find I just love the taste of black coffee. But I do drink decaf, I can’t handle the caffeine.
And YAY for bowls from Target! I have that same one ;)

Twisted Chicken April 17, 2010

I love tea. I don’t drink it anymore and I really miss it. I used to drink coffee sometimes but only because it was convenient. I drank tea because I loved it.

Those overnight oats look delicious.

Kelly April 17, 2010

I used to be a huge coffee person. I gave up coffee about a year ago. Now I can’t get enough of tea. Green, white, black, chamomile, English, Japanese. When my husband and I are out I am always on the lookout for a good cup of hot tea. I can’t wait for it to warm up so I can make me some overnight oats. My chocolate protein powder will be great in there. Thanks for the idea.

Mary April 17, 2010

I love coffee. I do love tea though too. I drink a lot of green tea :)coffee though, If I didnt have it, I wouldnt make it through night shift as a nurse!!

Britt @ Runnerbelle April 17, 2010

I like both. Although I like iced coffee better than hot, I’ll drink tea either way. We have a great tea place near us that I love, http://www.portsmouthtea.com , they have some awesome flavors and styles of tea.

Patricia April 17, 2010

I gave up cofee three weeks ago because I wanted to cut back on the amount of sugar I was consumming. (As well as cream…I love my large double double from Timmy’s!) I began having green tea in the morning instead. Loving it!

When I went to a naturopath a few years back, one of the first things she told me to eliminate from my diet was coffee. It is highly processed (30 times!) Decaf is processed 31 times! Unbelieveable!

Kate April 17, 2010

I started out as a tea person (for some reason my dad was way into tea). I didn’t have my first drink of coffee until the summer before I went away to college. Even then I didn’t really like coffee and drank sodas instead. Eventually I became a regular coffee and tea drinker. I have to be careful though–If I’m feeling down emotionally I tend to self medicate with caffeine which causes me to become overly anxious and not sleep at night. So I drink coffee first thing in the A.M. then sip decaffeinated tea for the rest of the day.

kristine April 17, 2010

black hot coffee after a 5 a.m. run is perfection. Hot shower, hot coffee.

Aoife - Adventures in Veg April 17, 2010

Ha ha that’s so funny about Eric drinking cold tea from a bottle! I’m Irish and though I’ve never seen it I have heard of it happening ;) But it wouldn’t be common these days. But we are practically raised on the stuff for sure – I’ve been drinking tea since I was very young (not out of a bottle though ;) ) – Barry’s Tea. Barry is my last name but sadly we’re not related to the people who own the company, ha! I don’t really drink ‘normal’ tea anymore because of the milk, however. It’s green, white or herbal for me too.

Claire April 17, 2010

Both!! I tried to avoid coffee for a while(1 yr),but it didn’t make me feel better.I started back and I’m definitely happier.I drink green and herbal teas as well:-)cc

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] April 17, 2010

Hi Miss Angela!

Pretty oatmeal bowl : )

To answer your question of the day, I am a tea AND coffee drinker. I’m surprised you didn’t try tea or coffee until so late in your life. I think you should def give java a second chance. You don’t have to do caffeine so you don’t get hooked – that’s my secret : )

John April 17, 2010

I’ve gone 38 years without drinking coffee and for tea I’ve had 2 bottled green teas which weren’t too bad. Think that’s all for the next 38 too :-)

maria April 17, 2010

I enjoy both. I usually drink coffee when I need a pick-me-up and tea when I just want something tasty or hot to drink.

Lindsey April 17, 2010

Just gave up coffee 2 weeks ago for health reasons, caffeine not so good for me. I now drink japanese bancha organic tea or kukicha which are light and relaxing. I feel soooo much better. I used to drink about 3 cups of coffee in the am. What I love about the tea is I can have it any time of day and not worry about it disrupting my sleep.

Lisa April 17, 2010

Have you checked out Lance Armstrong’s bike? THAT will make you drool. :)

Angela (ohsheglows) April 17, 2010

haha yes it is incred!

Emily April 17, 2010

Defnitely a tea person. In my college days I went through an iced coffee phase and enjoyed the occasional latte but honestly tea treats my body SO much better. It’s wayy less harsh on my sensitive tummy and I just feel better drinking it. Plus, like you said, there are SO many different varieties, one for whatever your need that day.

On another note, I have a question about vegan overnight oats. I have not yet got myself some chia seeds and I’m wondering if you think it will work without them? I have the oats, banana, soy milk and all the yummy toppings for the am. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Angela (ohsheglows) April 17, 2010

The chia seeds thicken it up…so Im not sure if it would work. I would use ground flax, but double the amount. :)

Ana April 18, 2010

It works, I tried!! Just make it with a bit more liquid (let it look a bit “soupy”) than you normally would if not using chia. I love the chia seeds in my oats (regular or overnight!!).
If you use ground flax it also thickens up considerably, the chia is just a tad more. I love it with both!!
Ana

Ana April 18, 2010

Ohh, now I see that you were asking about not using chia, I though you wanted to use it… sorry about the reply, my bad.

Susan April 17, 2010

I think you should totally give coffee another go!! The only way you’ll get hooked is if you start drinking it every day. A couple almond milk lattes a week won’t hurt ;) I MUCH prefer the flavour of coffee to tea. I lovelovelove coffee, I even drink straight espresso. Tea is do watery for me.

MegaNerd April 17, 2010

I have the same pretty bowl from Target!!!

I love coffee and tea equally — but some days I prefer one over the other. Usually I prefer which ever one is iced!

Steph April 17, 2010

Watch out, it’s easy to get lured in by the bike p0rn! I bought a basic bike for my first try-a-tri and before the summer ended I dropped about $1500 on a fancy road bike!! I ADORE it though (http://bit.ly/9bPGT4)and it was totally worth every penny. Now I’m thinking about buying a tri wetsuit instead of just renting them for races. I think races = an excuse for me to shop ;)

Tinka April 17, 2010

I love tea!! I drink 5 cups a day easily. It’s not so much the caffine fix as it is the ritual of making them and having a hot mug in your hands. Love it.

Heidi April 17, 2010

I’m neither. I’m trying to get into tea more, but it’s taking a bit. I only like coffee if it’s loaded with sugar and cream or some dessert like coffee from Starbucks or the like. My parents never drank coffee or tea, so I’m not surprised that I don’t really like either.

Natalie April 17, 2010

Love love love tea. Green teas, black teas, speciality teas, etc. I only have coffee occasionally but sometimes it hurts my stomach.

mountain girl April 17, 2010

The only liquid I ever drink anymore (besides water) is my home-brewed kombucha tea, or store-bought kombucha tea, and once in a while herbal tea before bed to warm me up (I think I’m cold-blooded, lol!) I would love to drink green tea, but it always gives me a tummy-ache! Any ideas why? I’m not sure if I’ve ever tried Sencha. How is it different from regular green tea?

Andrew Lowry April 17, 2010

Coffee is wonderful IMHO. I like the bitter taste of a good black coffee. I fortunately do not need coffee, if I do not get it for a day or two no ill affects. I suggest you try coffee. Go to a good coffee outlet and try different types. Much like tea, wine, beer etc. there are many flavours so if you do not like one type you will find another that you do like.

As Pope Clement VIII said when it was discussed whether the Church should accept Muslim coffee, “This devil’s drink is so good… we should cheat the devil by baptizing it.”

Enjoy.

crookedmoonmama April 17, 2010

Where’s Eric form? My Irish hubby is form County Mayo. :)
Yummy….oats…ever top yours with cashew cream?!?!?

Tom Maitland April 17, 2010

Just found you’re blog, it’s really neat!

Definitely a coffee person, friends call it an addiction but a good latte in the morning is the best thing ever. Great thing about it though is that there are so many variations, I don’t know if anyone reading this is from Australia but have you tried Pablo & Rusty’s coffee? Great flavour.

As for tea though, have to say I do like Chai. It’s sort of become the new craze!

Sportsgirl April 18, 2010

I love both. I drink coffee more though! I don’t like black tea either; I prefer fruit teas :)

Kelly April 18, 2010

A few years ago I had to give up caffeine because it hurts my tummy so now I’m a 100 percent tea person and I love tea. I also love that I have one less thing to worry about in the morning because I don’t “need” my coffee or tea :) I think coffee is a taste that grows on you, you have to add a bunch of sugar at first and then slowly back off of it until you like it without.

Page 2 of 3«123»