Tea Vs. Coffee

Rise and glow!

Glad you guys liked the Nut Butter Parsnip Fries! I am already planning on making them soon. I bet they would be wonderful with sweet potatoes or carrots. Yummerz.

Last night was quite fun…

IMG 0328 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

Eric got home 2 hours early which was a wonderful surprise! The weather was beautiful so we decided to unwind and go for a walk.

Our neighbourhood dog always greets us!

IMG 0334 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

We had a nice little jaunt! With our friend. ;) SO CUTE that he follows us on walks.

IMG 0336 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

Eric filled the bird feeder. [Sorry birds we forgot to fill it the past couple months…]

IMG 0353 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

Then we were off to the bike shop! We drooled over some super expensive road bikes with the thinnest tires I have ever seen!

IMG 0347 thumb   Tea Vs. CoffeeIMG 0346 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

The bike on the right is $1500!

We bought a $4 tube for my tire to replace the one that popped. We were going to leave the bikes for a tune-up, but the wait is currently 10 days so we are just going to use Eric’s brother’s equipment and get him to show us how (FYI Dave!!). ;)

Once home, I got to work on my GF + Raw Glo Bar. I was kind of at my wits end last night to be honest! I did two more trials during the day and both did not come out how I expected them to. Many deep breaths were taken, especially after I had dirtied every dish in the house. I have been working on this bar for months now and have probably tried at least 15 different trials and versions. But I won’t go down without a fight!

I worked on the recipe most of the night (including nutritional calculations). For my Glo Bars, it isn’t just about creating a great tasting bar (although that is obviously important), but it is also about making sure that the nutritional profile is good. I have created so many great tasting bars that got the axe only because the nutritional profile wasn’t good enough. Sometimes it can get frustrating trying to find that perfect fit of all of the dimensions that I have in mind!

Around 10:30pm, I headed back into the kitchen to give it one last shot of the day. I just didn’t want to go to bed with no real progress made. I have a good feeling about this one. The nutritional profile is amazing too. Here’s hoping it is the final version! It will be sent out to taste testers (Eric’s coworkers and local friends) for feedback.

Just as I was about to leave the kitchen, I remembered there was one last thing to make. Luckily Vegan Overnight Oats only take a couple minutes to throw together!

IMG 4451 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

I wanted to add some protein to this batch!

IMG 4434 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

I added 1/2 a scoop = 5 grams of protein.

IMG 4436 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

This powder tastes good. Sweet and chocolaty, but not overly so.

IMG 4439 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

IMG 4484 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

YUM!!! Loved this batch.

IMG 4483 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

All mixed up!

IMG 4486 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

It was delicious!

I had it with my two favourite teas…[PS- I found the website for Four O’Clock teas!]

IMG 4443 thumb   Tea Vs. Coffee

Today’s question- Are you a coffee person or a tea person? Or both? Are you trying to cutback on anything?

As you may have noticed, I am a huge tea person!

A strange but true tidbit about me- I didn’t have my first drink of tea until I was 18 and I didn’t try coffee until I was 23/24 yrs old!

My parents never drank coffee (only tea), so I never was around it much. When I met Eric his family almost fainted when they heard that I didn’t drink tea…they are Irish and English!!! If you can believe this, Eric grew up drinking cold tea from a bottle. Apparently it is a really common thing in Ireland!

I started to try drinking tea for one reason and one reason only- I wanted to impress Eric’s parents. LOL. :mrgreen: I hated it at first, but over time I started to love it. They still only drink black tea and make fun of me when I whip out my loose leaf Sencha at family get togethers!! ;) I try and tell them how tasty other kinds of tea are, but I am afraid that I will never help them see the other side. ;)

Sometimes I dabble with the idea of trying coffee again because so many people seem to love it, but I’m not sure I want to get hooked. What do you guys think?

~~~

I am going to spend a good part of the day working on the website re-design and finishing off (I hope!) the new Glo Bar.

Have a great day everyone! :)

Cassie April 17, 2010

I’m a tea/latte person ;) I only like my coffee if it has lots of warm, frothy milk and sugar!
With tea, I had my first cup when I was around 9-10. We were in Cape Breton visiting friends/family, and an older woman was SHOCKED when I’d never had tea before! “It’s a traditional Cape Breton drink!” She said, and when I insisted it was too bitter she simply added about 4-6 teaspoons of sugar to it!
Regardless to say I spent a few years of my life weaning myself off sugar in my tea ;) I drink it with just milk now! I’m a huge green/herbal tea drinker too!
Overnight oats sound awesome! I’m a bit wary of them , though..

Nicole @ Making Good Choices April 17, 2010

I am a HUGE coffee person and have been since college. My husband didn’t start drinking it until we were together for about 2 years. My parents are both coffee drinker, so I’m sure that is a huge reason I am. Goodluck with your GF globar! I tried to make gluten free naan last night and it was a MAJOR fail! Have a great weekend!

jen trinque April 17, 2010

I hope the recipe you worked on last night is a keeper, Angela!

I guess I’m a tea person. I don’t drink tea that much, but I never drink coffee. I think if you aren’t hooked on coffee at your age, there’s no need to start! When I met my bf 3.5 years ago he was a tea drinker, but he switched to coffee for some reason and now he is completely unable to function in the morning without some! I know I don’t want to feel that way :)

Leah @ Simply Fabulous April 17, 2010

Try Nescafe Hazelnut and you will be hooked. It’s my fav! I would say i’m on both sides of the fence.. love tea & love coffee!

Jane April 17, 2010

wow…those bars sound like lots of work. I am getting my bike out today to vary my workouts. Stay away from coffee…very addictive and makes you feel sick…my heart races when I drink it…Have a productive day.

Jane

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 17, 2010

I was trying out a new bar recipe last night too. It tastes great but I feel like when it comes down to determining the nutritional profile, I’ll have to tweak it around….which might mess up the taste/texture and so on and so forth. You know the drill, obvs.

Which nutrients do you fight with the most? Increasing protein?

Also, I’d never seen more black coffee drunken until I interned in London. Whew!!! They go through tea like water in the dessert.

Jenny April 17, 2010

I’m more of a coffe person, bit I do love celestial seasonings tea! I’m trying to cut back on diet coke:)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 17, 2010

Dave’s parents make fun of me too, drinking that “hippy tea” haha They love their tetly, and nothing else!! :)

Jocelyn April 17, 2010

I have a mug of coffee in the morning (just one) And for the reat of the day…herbal tea’s mostly… yummy!

Kris April 17, 2010

I LOVE coffee….I think I have an addiction to Tim Horton’s! Nothing compares :)

I love tea too, but I would choose coffee hands down, over tea.

I think people can be addicted to both tea and coffee. Some people must have tea first thing every morning to get going and other need their coffee!

I think I might send Pete over to Tim’s now :)

Heather Dawn April 17, 2010

I like drinking both… Coffee more so :) I try not to have it every day, and when I feel like I NEED a cup that is when I know to cut back a little. This keeps me from feeling like Im hooked on it.
Good Luck with your newest trial on the Glo Bar! Im excited to see how it turns out :)

Lauren April 17, 2010

Your area looks so gorgeous!
I am also a huge tea lover. I’ve gone through phases of both tea and coffee…I used to love coffee. Black coffee, and then a phase of starbucks soy lattes. A while ago I gave up coffee because it upsets my stomach and has some other averse affects (I still have it once in a while) but tea is so versatile and delicious. There are so many different varieties with different health benefits and you can have it hot, iced, use it in recipes. I love it, I have at least two big cups a day!

Simply Life April 17, 2010

what a pretty bowl to enjoy your oats from!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 17, 2010

I started drinking Starbucks drinks with coffee probably when I was 16/17, but I never got addicted. Sure, its good, but I don’t NEED it. I occasionally drink tea, but if I have it on an empty stomach, teas will tear it up pretty badly.

Laura April 17, 2010

I drink black coffee and green tea… in fact I might have to go make one now you’ve got me thinking about it!

chai am woman April 17, 2010

mmm those oats look good! but i bet they would probably taste too sweet for me. i tried your overnight oats recently and i could only finish half haha! but even that half DID keep me full for a long, long time!

i am definitely a coffee person but i love tea as well. i suppose i go back and forth but coffee is my mainstay (unless we’re talking chai lattes… THOSE are my lifeblood!)

Bronwyn April 17, 2010

I’ve become a total coffee drinker. I’d always tried to be not-so-addicted but I definitely am. I do love having herbal teas (I stay away from green and black b/c I don’t want to overload myself with caffein everyday). But I don’t think I could give up coffee without some serious consequences.

Emily April 17, 2010

Cute bowl!

I have always been little miss coffee, but i was recently ill and i think half the problem was being in bed with a headache so bad from not going to a cafe… Big problem! So, I’ve switched to teas, and have been gleefully stocking up my cupboards with amaretto ones, strawberry ones, blueberry creme ones, you name it! I am hooked. And I love how they don’t feel noisy in my system, and are just nice things to go to, rather than something I rely on day to day. I’ll never *not* have coffee, but I never want to be reliant on it again.

Kellie@obsessivelyhealthy April 17, 2010

I drink hot tea if I am really cold, other than that I am not a coffee or tea drinker. Unfortunately I am a Diet Coke drinker. I am trying to wean myself, but it is definately my vice.

EaterNotARunner April 17, 2010

I love both tea and coffee but the caffeine bothers my stomach. I drink TONS of decaf tea though :-)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 17, 2010

Awww– so sweet that you took up tea-drinking to impress them! I’m on a one month no coffee challenge right now, so I’ve been guzzling tea like it’s going out of style.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations with the raw bar :-(

nut April 17, 2010

I’m surprised it doesn’t harden into the ‘breakfast cookie” around the blogosphere.
I know your vegan…lots of vegans use coconut milk yogurt I think, maybe you could try that someone also? Just a thought.

Kelsey April 17, 2010

i love both. i tried cutting back on coffee and went for 6 months without it.. then i noticed i was much too sluggish… and my ADHD symptoms came back… so i wen tback to coffee. now we’re in a love-love relationship. :D

..tea doesnt seem to be too jealous. (lol)

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks April 17, 2010

I am a both person. However, when I get into the habit of drinking coffee every morning, I tend to go overboard with it!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 17, 2010

Yum I LOVE coffee!!!!!! It is addicting though. But i’m ok with that :) I enjoy tea too though.

Laura April 17, 2010

I have been drinking coffee since I was 16… I realized I love the taste and morning ritual of it, but I hated how addicted I became. So a few years ago, I switched to decaf. I know coffee drinkers scoff at decaf, but I’ve found some really tasty ones. Trader Joe’s French Roast is awesome! So if you to give coffee another whirl but don’t want to get hooked, I say go for the decaf!

Danielle (Coffee Run) April 17, 2010

Idk if my blog title gives it away…but I’m definitely a coffee person ;)

I always forget to make overnight oats! Tonight’s the night :D

Jennifer R April 17, 2010

so happy you are making a gf bar and can’t wait to order some. I’m sure they’ll be delicious!

I’m a tea person… never liked coffee (or the smell, in fact). Guess it’s good, I’ve read that coffee can reduce your magnesium levels in your body, as well as other things in the gut (you need extra probiotics). We have Teavana’s here in VA and LOVE their loose teas — yummy!!

have an awesome weekend!

Allison @ Food For Healing April 17, 2010

i dont really like to drink tea, and i dont really drink coffee. I don’t ever consume caffeine so if i ever drink anything it is ALWAYS Decaf.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 17, 2010

I don’t drink tea or coffee! I seriously think that tea tastes like dirty water. And I like coffee, but only when its loaded with lots of stuff that is bad for me.

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary April 17, 2010

I love both coffee and tea… In the mornings, I usually drink 1 cup of coffee. (1 cup in a normal sized mug, not one of those huge bowl like mugs) If I don’t drink coffee, I never get head aches or anything like that, so I feel like 1 cup is a reasonable amount. During the day, I like tea… Iced or hot, depeding on the weather. I’m really loving the Yogi Kombucha tea. Can’t wait for the weather to get a little warmer so I can make it into iced tea.

YAY for Sat’s :)
-Mary

Kristina April 17, 2010

Don’t get hooked on coffee! I don’t think it’s worth it to drink something when you have to throw tons of bad things into it to make the taste bearable. Plus, tea is so good for you! Stick with tea and be proud :)

Dukka Girl April 17, 2010

I like both tea and coffee. I drink a large cup of coffee mid-morning, and usually (herbal or green)tea after midday. I cannot drink black tea on an empty stomach! It makes me sick. My boyfriend is a huge black tea drinker, as strong as possible and cannot function without it. It’s funny you say Eric drank cold tea, in Ireland we see cold tea as a North American thing. Traditionally here it’s drank very hot with milk and sometimes sugar. The strength of the tea is a family thing, but men (especially builders!) tend to like it very strong. My boss used to work on a farm as a teenager, the tea was put on to brew 3 hours before it was drank!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 17, 2010

It’s all about tea, day or night. Sometimes I splurge on a latte but mostly it’s just tea.

highonhealthy April 17, 2010

I only drink tea and that’s still only rarely. As for coffee.. never going to drink it. I don’t like how addictive it is and I don’t want to need it to get myself going in the morning.

Lisa April 17, 2010

Congrats on (almost) discovering the perfect GF/raw Glo bar!

I am a huge coffee drinker. I also really love tea, but coffee is what I have in the morning to get my day going. I have tea later in the afternoon or at night, as I associate it with “relaxation time”.

In my first and second year of university, I seriously drank a pot of coffee a day! I feel sooo bad for my poor, healing digestive system.

Jil April 17, 2010

Holy expensive bike, Batman! Hope this batch of the GF Glo Bars is “the one”!!! I’m a coffee person – majorly. Although, technically I only have one – maybe 2 – cups of it a day…so as much as I love it, I’m not a 6-cup a day’er. I just love the warm comforting scent that envelopes my apartment in the mornings. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 17, 2010

i actually love both coffee and tea…they both have so many great characteristics! in general i like hot coffee in the winter and then “snack” on hot great tea, and in the summer do the iced version of both :) plus it makes me want to drink more water to stay hydrated as well!

Ashleigh April 17, 2010

I’m not a fan of either because of the caffeine. I’m just not looking to become addicted to anything that I don’t feel is that great for me. I know there are plenty of non-caffeinated options, but I just have no interest. I’ve got my water and sometimes juice or milk, so I’m set.

Jenn April 17, 2010

Funny you mention tea today, as I was considering sending you a message about the awesome tea I found yesterday! Your blog has been an awesome influence on some of my ingestion decision this week and it’s all been good. So, your 4 o’clock white tea looked so yummy, and I happen to find a 4 flavour tester at Loblaws, made a pot of boiling water. The smell was so intoxicating! The tea (naked) was great! Along with a bowl of oats that was dusted with chia seeds, artisana cacao bliss, almond breeze and a smidge of nutbutter. good to go!
Road bikes rule! I love my Trek WSD in creamsicle!!

Jenn April 17, 2010

But, the coffee or tea…totally a 1 cup of coffee with Almond Breeze in the morning. Like to sip on it during my classes. Weaned myself from a Tim Horton’s 3 c 1 sugar to just milk. May keep up with the tea though!

Page 1 of 3123»