Tea Vs. Coffee

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 17, 2010

Rise and glow!

Glad you guys liked the Nut Butter Parsnip Fries! I am already planning on making them soon. I bet they would be wonderful with sweet potatoes or carrots. Yummerz.

Last night was quite fun…

IMG_0328

Eric got home 2 hours early which was a wonderful surprise! The weather was beautiful so we decided to unwind and go for a walk.

Our neighbourhood dog always greets us!

IMG_0334

We had a nice little jaunt! With our friend. ;) SO CUTE that he follows us on walks.

IMG_0336

Eric filled the bird feeder. [Sorry birds we forgot to fill it the past couple months…]

IMG_0353

Then we were off to the bike shop! We drooled over some super expensive road bikes with the thinnest tires I have ever seen!

IMG_0347IMG_0346

The bike on the right is $1500!

We bought a $4 tube for my tire to replace the one that popped. We were going to leave the bikes for a tune-up, but the wait is currently 10 days so we are just going to use Eric’s brother’s equipment and get him to show us how (FYI Dave!!). ;)

Once home, I got to work on my GF + Raw Glo Bar. I was kind of at my wits end last night to be honest! I did two more trials during the day and both did not come out how I expected them to. Many deep breaths were taken, especially after I had dirtied every dish in the house. I have been working on this bar for months now and have probably tried at least 15 different trials and versions. But I won’t go down without a fight!

I worked on the recipe most of the night (including nutritional calculations). For my Glo Bars, it isn’t just about creating a great tasting bar (although that is obviously important), but it is also about making sure that the nutritional profile is good. I have created so many great tasting bars that got the axe only because the nutritional profile wasn’t good enough. Sometimes it can get frustrating trying to find that perfect fit of all of the dimensions that I have in mind!

Around 10:30pm, I headed back into the kitchen to give it one last shot of the day. I just didn’t want to go to bed with no real progress made. I have a good feeling about this one. The nutritional profile is amazing too. Here’s hoping it is the final version! It will be sent out to taste testers (Eric’s coworkers and local friends) for feedback.

Just as I was about to leave the kitchen, I remembered there was one last thing to make. Luckily Vegan Overnight Oats only take a couple minutes to throw together!

IMG_4451

I wanted to add some protein to this batch!

IMG_4434

I added 1/2 a scoop = 5 grams of protein.

IMG_4436

This powder tastes good. Sweet and chocolaty, but not overly so.

IMG_4439

IMG_4484

YUM!!! Loved this batch.

IMG_4483

All mixed up!

IMG_4486

It was delicious!

I had it with my two favourite teas…[PS- I found the website for Four O’Clock teas!]

IMG_4443

Today’s question- Are you a coffee person or a tea person? Or both? Are you trying to cutback on anything?

As you may have noticed, I am a huge tea person!

A strange but true tidbit about me- I didn’t have my first drink of tea until I was 18 and I didn’t try coffee until I was 23/24 yrs old!

My parents never drank coffee (only tea), so I never was around it much. When I met Eric his family almost fainted when they heard that I didn’t drink tea…they are Irish and English!!! If you can believe this, Eric grew up drinking cold tea from a bottle. Apparently it is a really common thing in Ireland!

I started to try drinking tea for one reason and one reason only- I wanted to impress Eric’s parents. LOL. :mrgreen: I hated it at first, but over time I started to love it. They still only drink black tea and make fun of me when I whip out my loose leaf Sencha at family get togethers!! ;) I try and tell them how tasty other kinds of tea are, but I am afraid that I will never help them see the other side. ;)

Sometimes I dabble with the idea of trying coffee again because so many people seem to love it, but I’m not sure I want to get hooked. What do you guys think?

~~~

I am going to spend a good part of the day working on the website re-design and finishing off (I hope!) the new Glo Bar.

Have a great day everyone! :)

Cassie April 17, 2010 at 8:51 am

I’m a tea/latte person ;) I only like my coffee if it has lots of warm, frothy milk and sugar!
With tea, I had my first cup when I was around 9-10. We were in Cape Breton visiting friends/family, and an older woman was SHOCKED when I’d never had tea before! “It’s a traditional Cape Breton drink!” She said, and when I insisted it was too bitter she simply added about 4-6 teaspoons of sugar to it!
Regardless to say I spent a few years of my life weaning myself off sugar in my tea ;) I drink it with just milk now! I’m a huge green/herbal tea drinker too!
Overnight oats sound awesome! I’m a bit wary of them , though..

Nicole @ Making Good Choices April 17, 2010 at 8:52 am

I am a HUGE coffee person and have been since college. My husband didn’t start drinking it until we were together for about 2 years. My parents are both coffee drinker, so I’m sure that is a huge reason I am. Goodluck with your GF globar! I tried to make gluten free naan last night and it was a MAJOR fail! Have a great weekend!

jen trinque April 17, 2010 at 8:53 am

I hope the recipe you worked on last night is a keeper, Angela!

I guess I’m a tea person. I don’t drink tea that much, but I never drink coffee. I think if you aren’t hooked on coffee at your age, there’s no need to start! When I met my bf 3.5 years ago he was a tea drinker, but he switched to coffee for some reason and now he is completely unable to function in the morning without some! I know I don’t want to feel that way :)

Leah @ Simply Fabulous April 17, 2010 at 8:53 am

Try Nescafe Hazelnut and you will be hooked. It’s my fav! I would say i’m on both sides of the fence.. love tea & love coffee!

Jane April 17, 2010 at 8:55 am

wow…those bars sound like lots of work. I am getting my bike out today to vary my workouts. Stay away from coffee…very addictive and makes you feel sick…my heart races when I drink it…Have a productive day.

Jane

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 17, 2010 at 8:56 am

I was trying out a new bar recipe last night too. It tastes great but I feel like when it comes down to determining the nutritional profile, I’ll have to tweak it around….which might mess up the taste/texture and so on and so forth. You know the drill, obvs.

Which nutrients do you fight with the most? Increasing protein?

Also, I’d never seen more black coffee drunken until I interned in London. Whew!!! They go through tea like water in the dessert.

Jenny April 17, 2010 at 8:57 am

I’m more of a coffe person, bit I do love celestial seasonings tea! I’m trying to cut back on diet coke:)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 17, 2010 at 8:58 am

Dave’s parents make fun of me too, drinking that “hippy tea” haha They love their tetly, and nothing else!! :)

Jocelyn April 17, 2010 at 8:59 am

I have a mug of coffee in the morning (just one) And for the reat of the day…herbal tea’s mostly… yummy!

Kris April 17, 2010 at 9:06 am

I LOVE coffee….I think I have an addiction to Tim Horton’s! Nothing compares :)

I love tea too, but I would choose coffee hands down, over tea.

I think people can be addicted to both tea and coffee. Some people must have tea first thing every morning to get going and other need their coffee!

I think I might send Pete over to Tim’s now :)

Heather Dawn April 17, 2010 at 9:07 am

I like drinking both… Coffee more so :) I try not to have it every day, and when I feel like I NEED a cup that is when I know to cut back a little. This keeps me from feeling like Im hooked on it.
Good Luck with your newest trial on the Glo Bar! Im excited to see how it turns out :)

Lauren April 17, 2010 at 9:13 am

Your area looks so gorgeous!
I am also a huge tea lover. I’ve gone through phases of both tea and coffee…I used to love coffee. Black coffee, and then a phase of starbucks soy lattes. A while ago I gave up coffee because it upsets my stomach and has some other averse affects (I still have it once in a while) but tea is so versatile and delicious. There are so many different varieties with different health benefits and you can have it hot, iced, use it in recipes. I love it, I have at least two big cups a day!

Simply Life April 17, 2010 at 9:14 am

what a pretty bowl to enjoy your oats from!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 17, 2010 at 9:22 am

I started drinking Starbucks drinks with coffee probably when I was 16/17, but I never got addicted. Sure, its good, but I don’t NEED it. I occasionally drink tea, but if I have it on an empty stomach, teas will tear it up pretty badly.

Laura April 17, 2010 at 9:34 am

I drink black coffee and green tea… in fact I might have to go make one now you’ve got me thinking about it!

chai am woman April 17, 2010 at 9:35 am

mmm those oats look good! but i bet they would probably taste too sweet for me. i tried your overnight oats recently and i could only finish half haha! but even that half DID keep me full for a long, long time!

i am definitely a coffee person but i love tea as well. i suppose i go back and forth but coffee is my mainstay (unless we’re talking chai lattes… THOSE are my lifeblood!)

Bronwyn April 17, 2010 at 9:35 am

I’ve become a total coffee drinker. I’d always tried to be not-so-addicted but I definitely am. I do love having herbal teas (I stay away from green and black b/c I don’t want to overload myself with caffein everyday). But I don’t think I could give up coffee without some serious consequences.

Emily April 17, 2010 at 9:35 am

Cute bowl!

I have always been little miss coffee, but i was recently ill and i think half the problem was being in bed with a headache so bad from not going to a cafe… Big problem! So, I’ve switched to teas, and have been gleefully stocking up my cupboards with amaretto ones, strawberry ones, blueberry creme ones, you name it! I am hooked. And I love how they don’t feel noisy in my system, and are just nice things to go to, rather than something I rely on day to day. I’ll never *not* have coffee, but I never want to be reliant on it again.

[email protected] April 17, 2010 at 9:43 am

I drink hot tea if I am really cold, other than that I am not a coffee or tea drinker. Unfortunately I am a Diet Coke drinker. I am trying to wean myself, but it is definately my vice.

EaterNotARunner April 17, 2010 at 9:49 am

I love both tea and coffee but the caffeine bothers my stomach. I drink TONS of decaf tea though :-)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 17, 2010 at 9:50 am

Awww– so sweet that you took up tea-drinking to impress them! I’m on a one month no coffee challenge right now, so I’ve been guzzling tea like it’s going out of style.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations with the raw bar :-(

nut April 17, 2010 at 9:51 am

I’m surprised it doesn’t harden into the ‘breakfast cookie” around the blogosphere.
I know your vegan…lots of vegans use coconut milk yogurt I think, maybe you could try that someone also? Just a thought.

Kelsey April 17, 2010 at 9:52 am

i love both. i tried cutting back on coffee and went for 6 months without it.. then i noticed i was much too sluggish… and my ADHD symptoms came back… so i wen tback to coffee. now we’re in a love-love relationship. :D

..tea doesnt seem to be too jealous. (lol)

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks April 17, 2010 at 9:58 am

I am a both person. However, when I get into the habit of drinking coffee every morning, I tend to go overboard with it!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 17, 2010 at 10:09 am

Yum I LOVE coffee!!!!!! It is addicting though. But i’m ok with that :) I enjoy tea too though.

Laura April 17, 2010 at 10:11 am

I have been drinking coffee since I was 16… I realized I love the taste and morning ritual of it, but I hated how addicted I became. So a few years ago, I switched to decaf. I know coffee drinkers scoff at decaf, but I’ve found some really tasty ones. Trader Joe’s French Roast is awesome! So if you to give coffee another whirl but don’t want to get hooked, I say go for the decaf!

Danielle (Coffee Run) April 17, 2010 at 10:12 am

Idk if my blog title gives it away…but I’m definitely a coffee person ;)

I always forget to make overnight oats! Tonight’s the night :D

Jennifer R April 17, 2010 at 10:15 am

so happy you are making a gf bar and can’t wait to order some. I’m sure they’ll be delicious!

I’m a tea person… never liked coffee (or the smell, in fact). Guess it’s good, I’ve read that coffee can reduce your magnesium levels in your body, as well as other things in the gut (you need extra probiotics). We have Teavana’s here in VA and LOVE their loose teas — yummy!!

have an awesome weekend!

Allison @ Food For Healing April 17, 2010 at 10:19 am

i dont really like to drink tea, and i dont really drink coffee. I don’t ever consume caffeine so if i ever drink anything it is ALWAYS Decaf.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 17, 2010 at 10:21 am

I don’t drink tea or coffee! I seriously think that tea tastes like dirty water. And I like coffee, but only when its loaded with lots of stuff that is bad for me.

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary April 17, 2010 at 10:25 am

I love both coffee and tea… In the mornings, I usually drink 1 cup of coffee. (1 cup in a normal sized mug, not one of those huge bowl like mugs) If I don’t drink coffee, I never get head aches or anything like that, so I feel like 1 cup is a reasonable amount. During the day, I like tea… Iced or hot, depeding on the weather. I’m really loving the Yogi Kombucha tea. Can’t wait for the weather to get a little warmer so I can make it into iced tea.

YAY for Sat’s :)
-Mary

Kristina April 17, 2010 at 10:25 am

Don’t get hooked on coffee! I don’t think it’s worth it to drink something when you have to throw tons of bad things into it to make the taste bearable. Plus, tea is so good for you! Stick with tea and be proud :)

Dukka Girl April 17, 2010 at 10:33 am

I like both tea and coffee. I drink a large cup of coffee mid-morning, and usually (herbal or green)tea after midday. I cannot drink black tea on an empty stomach! It makes me sick. My boyfriend is a huge black tea drinker, as strong as possible and cannot function without it. It’s funny you say Eric drank cold tea, in Ireland we see cold tea as a North American thing. Traditionally here it’s drank very hot with milk and sometimes sugar. The strength of the tea is a family thing, but men (especially builders!) tend to like it very strong. My boss used to work on a farm as a teenager, the tea was put on to brew 3 hours before it was drank!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 17, 2010 at 10:51 am

It’s all about tea, day or night. Sometimes I splurge on a latte but mostly it’s just tea.

highonhealthy April 17, 2010 at 10:54 am

I only drink tea and that’s still only rarely. As for coffee.. never going to drink it. I don’t like how addictive it is and I don’t want to need it to get myself going in the morning.

Lisa April 17, 2010 at 10:59 am

Congrats on (almost) discovering the perfect GF/raw Glo bar!

I am a huge coffee drinker. I also really love tea, but coffee is what I have in the morning to get my day going. I have tea later in the afternoon or at night, as I associate it with “relaxation time”.

In my first and second year of university, I seriously drank a pot of coffee a day! I feel sooo bad for my poor, healing digestive system.

Jil April 17, 2010 at 11:03 am

Holy expensive bike, Batman! Hope this batch of the GF Glo Bars is “the one”!!! I’m a coffee person – majorly. Although, technically I only have one – maybe 2 – cups of it a day…so as much as I love it, I’m not a 6-cup a day’er. I just love the warm comforting scent that envelopes my apartment in the mornings. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 17, 2010 at 11:13 am

i actually love both coffee and tea…they both have so many great characteristics! in general i like hot coffee in the winter and then “snack” on hot great tea, and in the summer do the iced version of both :) plus it makes me want to drink more water to stay hydrated as well!

Ashleigh April 17, 2010 at 11:28 am

I’m not a fan of either because of the caffeine. I’m just not looking to become addicted to anything that I don’t feel is that great for me. I know there are plenty of non-caffeinated options, but I just have no interest. I’ve got my water and sometimes juice or milk, so I’m set.

Jenn April 17, 2010 at 11:30 am

Funny you mention tea today, as I was considering sending you a message about the awesome tea I found yesterday! Your blog has been an awesome influence on some of my ingestion decision this week and it’s all been good. So, your 4 o’clock white tea looked so yummy, and I happen to find a 4 flavour tester at Loblaws, made a pot of boiling water. The smell was so intoxicating! The tea (naked) was great! Along with a bowl of oats that was dusted with chia seeds, artisana cacao bliss, almond breeze and a smidge of nutbutter. good to go!
Road bikes rule! I love my Trek WSD in creamsicle!!

Jenn April 17, 2010 at 12:23 pm

But, the coffee or tea…totally a 1 cup of coffee with Almond Breeze in the morning. Like to sip on it during my classes. Weaned myself from a Tim Horton’s 3 c 1 sugar to just milk. May keep up with the tea though!

saffity April 17, 2010 at 11:40 am

I’m totally a Tea drinker, I found out when I was 20 that I have ulcers (mild ones but still) so I try to stay away from coffee. I also have an iron issue so I stay away from caffeine as much as possible.

Right now I’m trying to cut processed sugar out of my diet and to cut down on sodium (I’m really bad for taking frozen dinners to work for lunch).

Anne April 17, 2010 at 11:42 am

I drink lots of tea and every once in a while need a coffee to go on my train commutes in the morning… When I was little I also had cold tea from a bottle – fennel or camomile – and I believe this is still very common, because the herbs are good for the little bellies. Now my favourite is chai-tea.

Diana April 17, 2010 at 11:45 am

I like coffee but drink it very rarely. My whole family are a bunch of coffee addicts and I honestly don’t wanna become one too. I do like tea too, especially during the colder months, it’s just comforting. :)

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 17, 2010 at 12:01 pm

That is the cutest bowl. I can’t wait for your new raw bar to come out.

Cynthia (It All Changes) April 17, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I’m a tea person at heart. I grew up drinking it because my mom drank it and I thought coffee was nasty. I love it in all flavors.

I like coffee occasionally as long as it is flavored and has some creamer in it. And now my doctor has prescribed one cup a day for my IBS so I’m testing out the best flavors.

Lauren April 17, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Coffee mmakes me way to anxious!

I like green tea with organic, unsulphured molasses. The non-protein amino acid theanine found in green tea has calming effects, and I definitely think one cup every day (mid-morning) has helped to decrease my anxiety! Plus, the molasses give me some iron!

zoe April 17, 2010 at 12:18 pm

i made my first batch of vegan overnight oats last night! i have yet to taste them this morning…waiting for my appetite to roll around ;) but i’m excited! and as for coffee and tea…caffine and my body are not friends :)! so i stick with non-caffeinated teas. i used to drink coffee and miss it from time to time so i’ll drink decaf sometimes just for the flavor.

Judy (Cookbook maven) April 17, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I have never understood eating/drinking things you have to get used to. I don’t drink coffee. Never have.

My parents are huge tea drinkers, and I always hated it. Thought it tasted like hot water.

I didn’t start drinking tea until my 40s. Decided I needed to drink green tea for my health. I had to try a lot of different ones before I found one I liked, and I learned I like my tea really sweet. The curse of a sweet tooth.

Now I’m really into rooibus.

Mostly I don’t do caffeine at all.

Ana April 17, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I am a tea person too! My favorites are herbal teas but I also love both green and white teas. I don’t like black tea though.
In Brazil we also drink herbal teas since young in age, many moms give chamomile or anise seed tea to their babies when they are colicky, there are even tiny “tea baby bottles” for this purpose!
My mom kept sending me bags with chamomile flower buds when I had my son, but I was a little afraid of giving him tea, I used them mostly to brew tea for myself!!
When I was growing up I used to spent the school breaks in my grandmas house (mom and dad worked full time then), and she had mint plants on her backyard, so almost every night she would go, grab us some leaves and steep them in boiling water to make mint tea, it was and still is my very favorite: mint tea made with fresh tea leaves. It was wonderful warm. And during the summer if we made a lot we would put in the fridge and have it cold on the next day, delicious! (plus I ate all the mint leaves, they were so good!)
I now have my own house and tiny backyard, but I do plant mint leaves just so I can keep making mint tea, it is the best ever!
Ana

Amanda April 17, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I love both!

I recently got into tea after my first visit to Teavana. I tend to drink it later in the day especially if I’m trying to curb a sweet tooth : )

I’ve been drinking coffee for a few years now. I really love the smell and taste of it. My whole family drinks coffee! Both sides! I usually have my morning cup and not too much after. At my old job I used to drink alot of coffee, but I was getting up at 3am and not sleeping well.

Amanda April 17, 2010 at 12:54 pm

*my job started at 4 am

Lizzie April 17, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I often feel like I am the only person in the whole world who doesn’t drink coffee!! My husband and I just got back from our local coffee shop – him carrying a nice big serving of latte and clutching a small bag of fresh ground Costa Rican coffee for his coffee maker tomorrow morning (it was a free sample this morning and one taste meant it was definitely going to be brewing in our kitchen tomorrow morning). Me? Enjoying my small hot chocolate – ha!

I would like to love tea – I know it’s so good for you! And with a British father, it should be a given, right? A friend gave me a small tea box with different ones to try, so I need to get over my ‘tea’ fear and start trying them! :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 17, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I love that bowl- and those oats look awesome!

I am a tea person, for sure. I find my body doesn’t handle coffee well, so I have it about once a week- I love my soy lattes! I have at least one cup of tea, every single day though. Usually 2-3, though!! My faves are Earl Gray, Japanese Sencha and pretty much all the Yogi Teas :)

xo
K

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama April 17, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I am coffee girl all of the way. I do love tea but i find I just love the taste of black coffee. But I do drink decaf, I can’t handle the caffeine.
And YAY for bowls from Target! I have that same one ;)

Twisted Chicken April 17, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I love tea. I don’t drink it anymore and I really miss it. I used to drink coffee sometimes but only because it was convenient. I drank tea because I loved it.

Those overnight oats look delicious.

Kelly April 17, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I used to be a huge coffee person. I gave up coffee about a year ago. Now I can’t get enough of tea. Green, white, black, chamomile, English, Japanese. When my husband and I are out I am always on the lookout for a good cup of hot tea. I can’t wait for it to warm up so I can make me some overnight oats. My chocolate protein powder will be great in there. Thanks for the idea.

Mary April 17, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I love coffee. I do love tea though too. I drink a lot of green tea :)coffee though, If I didnt have it, I wouldnt make it through night shift as a nurse!!

Britt @ Runnerbelle April 17, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I like both. Although I like iced coffee better than hot, I’ll drink tea either way. We have a great tea place near us that I love, www.portsmouthtea.com , they have some awesome flavors and styles of tea.

Patricia April 17, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I gave up cofee three weeks ago because I wanted to cut back on the amount of sugar I was consumming. (As well as cream…I love my large double double from Timmy’s!) I began having green tea in the morning instead. Loving it!

When I went to a naturopath a few years back, one of the first things she told me to eliminate from my diet was coffee. It is highly processed (30 times!) Decaf is processed 31 times! Unbelieveable!

Kate April 17, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I started out as a tea person (for some reason my dad was way into tea). I didn’t have my first drink of coffee until the summer before I went away to college. Even then I didn’t really like coffee and drank sodas instead. Eventually I became a regular coffee and tea drinker. I have to be careful though–If I’m feeling down emotionally I tend to self medicate with caffeine which causes me to become overly anxious and not sleep at night. So I drink coffee first thing in the A.M. then sip decaffeinated tea for the rest of the day.

kristine April 17, 2010 at 4:15 pm

black hot coffee after a 5 a.m. run is perfection. Hot shower, hot coffee.

Aoife - Adventures in Veg April 17, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Ha ha that’s so funny about Eric drinking cold tea from a bottle! I’m Irish and though I’ve never seen it I have heard of it happening ;) But it wouldn’t be common these days. But we are practically raised on the stuff for sure – I’ve been drinking tea since I was very young (not out of a bottle though ;) ) – Barry’s Tea. Barry is my last name but sadly we’re not related to the people who own the company, ha! I don’t really drink ‘normal’ tea anymore because of the milk, however. It’s green, white or herbal for me too.

Claire April 17, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Both!! I tried to avoid coffee for a while(1 yr),but it didn’t make me feel better.I started back and I’m definitely happier.I drink green and herbal teas as well:-)cc

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] April 17, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Hi Miss Angela!

Pretty oatmeal bowl : )

To answer your question of the day, I am a tea AND coffee drinker. I’m surprised you didn’t try tea or coffee until so late in your life. I think you should def give java a second chance. You don’t have to do caffeine so you don’t get hooked – that’s my secret : )

John April 17, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I’ve gone 38 years without drinking coffee and for tea I’ve had 2 bottled green teas which weren’t too bad. Think that’s all for the next 38 too :-)

maria April 17, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I enjoy both. I usually drink coffee when I need a pick-me-up and tea when I just want something tasty or hot to drink.

Lindsey April 17, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Just gave up coffee 2 weeks ago for health reasons, caffeine not so good for me. I now drink japanese bancha organic tea or kukicha which are light and relaxing. I feel soooo much better. I used to drink about 3 cups of coffee in the am. What I love about the tea is I can have it any time of day and not worry about it disrupting my sleep.

Lisa April 17, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Have you checked out Lance Armstrong’s bike? THAT will make you drool. :)

Angela (ohsheglows) April 17, 2010 at 8:13 pm

haha yes it is incred!

Emily April 17, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Defnitely a tea person. In my college days I went through an iced coffee phase and enjoyed the occasional latte but honestly tea treats my body SO much better. It’s wayy less harsh on my sensitive tummy and I just feel better drinking it. Plus, like you said, there are SO many different varieties, one for whatever your need that day.

On another note, I have a question about vegan overnight oats. I have not yet got myself some chia seeds and I’m wondering if you think it will work without them? I have the oats, banana, soy milk and all the yummy toppings for the am. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Angela (ohsheglows) April 17, 2010 at 8:13 pm

The chia seeds thicken it up…so Im not sure if it would work. I would use ground flax, but double the amount. :)

Ana April 18, 2010 at 6:50 am

It works, I tried!! Just make it with a bit more liquid (let it look a bit “soupy”) than you normally would if not using chia. I love the chia seeds in my oats (regular or overnight!!).
If you use ground flax it also thickens up considerably, the chia is just a tad more. I love it with both!!
Ana

Ana April 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Ohh, now I see that you were asking about not using chia, I though you wanted to use it… sorry about the reply, my bad.

Susan April 17, 2010 at 7:39 pm

I think you should totally give coffee another go!! The only way you’ll get hooked is if you start drinking it every day. A couple almond milk lattes a week won’t hurt ;) I MUCH prefer the flavour of coffee to tea. I lovelovelove coffee, I even drink straight espresso. Tea is do watery for me.

MegaNerd April 17, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I have the same pretty bowl from Target!!!

I love coffee and tea equally — but some days I prefer one over the other. Usually I prefer which ever one is iced!

Steph April 17, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Watch out, it’s easy to get lured in by the bike p0rn! I bought a basic bike for my first try-a-tri and before the summer ended I dropped about $1500 on a fancy road bike!! I ADORE it though (http://bit.ly/9bPGT4)and it was totally worth every penny. Now I’m thinking about buying a tri wetsuit instead of just renting them for races. I think races = an excuse for me to shop ;)

Tinka April 17, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I love tea!! I drink 5 cups a day easily. It’s not so much the caffine fix as it is the ritual of making them and having a hot mug in your hands. Love it.

Heidi April 17, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I’m neither. I’m trying to get into tea more, but it’s taking a bit. I only like coffee if it’s loaded with sugar and cream or some dessert like coffee from Starbucks or the like. My parents never drank coffee or tea, so I’m not surprised that I don’t really like either.

Natalie April 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Love love love tea. Green teas, black teas, speciality teas, etc. I only have coffee occasionally but sometimes it hurts my stomach.

mountain girl April 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm

The only liquid I ever drink anymore (besides water) is my home-brewed kombucha tea, or store-bought kombucha tea, and once in a while herbal tea before bed to warm me up (I think I’m cold-blooded, lol!) I would love to drink green tea, but it always gives me a tummy-ache! Any ideas why? I’m not sure if I’ve ever tried Sencha. How is it different from regular green tea?

Andrew Lowry April 17, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Coffee is wonderful IMHO. I like the bitter taste of a good black coffee. I fortunately do not need coffee, if I do not get it for a day or two no ill affects. I suggest you try coffee. Go to a good coffee outlet and try different types. Much like tea, wine, beer etc. there are many flavours so if you do not like one type you will find another that you do like.

As Pope Clement VIII said when it was discussed whether the Church should accept Muslim coffee, “This devil’s drink is so good… we should cheat the devil by baptizing it.”

Enjoy.

crookedmoonmama April 17, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Where’s Eric form? My Irish hubby is form County Mayo. :)
Yummy….oats…ever top yours with cashew cream?!?!?

Tom Maitland April 17, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Just found you’re blog, it’s really neat!

Definitely a coffee person, friends call it an addiction but a good latte in the morning is the best thing ever. Great thing about it though is that there are so many variations, I don’t know if anyone reading this is from Australia but have you tried Pablo & Rusty’s coffee? Great flavour.

As for tea though, have to say I do like Chai. It’s sort of become the new craze!

Sportsgirl April 18, 2010 at 1:40 am

I love both. I drink coffee more though! I don’t like black tea either; I prefer fruit teas :)

Kelly April 18, 2010 at 7:51 am

A few years ago I had to give up caffeine because it hurts my tummy so now I’m a 100 percent tea person and I love tea. I also love that I have one less thing to worry about in the morning because I don’t “need” my coffee or tea :) I think coffee is a taste that grows on you, you have to add a bunch of sugar at first and then slowly back off of it until you like it without.

Jill April 18, 2010 at 8:07 am

My parents drank coffee and I started around age 12. For many years I drank tons of coffee, but I’ve always been a herbal tea fan too. I find coffee on a regular basis makes my skin breakout, so now its tea every day and coffee only on weekends. Works well as a weekend treat with my hubby :)

Jen April 18, 2010 at 10:28 am

I drink tea most often, but occasionally on the weekends I’ll have coffee (I am actually drinking a cup right now!). I’ve actually gotten to where I like my coffee black, and I don’t add any creamer or sugar! I also enjoy a Starbucks every once in a while, especially a light mocha frap for a little pick me up. Not the healthiest, but oh, so very tasty!

Alina April 18, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I love both tea and coffee. I have a semi-addictive relationship with coffee and often drink it to help me get through the workday.

I enjoy coffee, which is why I drink it. But I would say, there is no such thing as a coffee deficiency, so why go down that road with an addictive substance? I remember buying my first pack of cigarettes – I had no idea that one dalliance would turn into a five-year tryst.

Tea is enough!

Jolene April 18, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I like both, but I drink coffee more often than tea.

Grace aka Triathlonbabe April 19, 2010 at 10:24 am

Might have to try the coconut and chocolate infustion on my OVO’s, yummy!

This weekend was a blur for me and I was feeling the same way last night, just down…cause I hadn’t accomplished ANYTHING on my list of “to do’s”. It’s a new week and I’ll attempt to get some of those things done and feel good about it.

I’m a coffee and tea drinker, but I’m not addicted to coffee at all. I can take it or leave it. Every now and then I get on a kick and I’ll try to stop drinking coffee and drink more tea. While at work, I have one cup in the AM and that’s it. I do not make coffe on the weekends, unless I’m having guests for brunch on Sun. As for tea, I love a cup of hot tea daily, usually one around AM snack time, one at PM snack time and sometimes one in the evening. I started drinking the Japanese Sencha green tea and love it. Haven’t tried the White tea, but would like to.

What location do you order your white tea from Angela?

Rachel April 19, 2010 at 10:33 am

I’m definitely a tea person – I have an entire shelf of the pantry devoted to tea! Flavoured blacks are my fav, although I can’t drink caffeine in the afternoon/evening. :(

I like coffee too, but I can’t be bothered to drink it most of the time – usually only when I’m out for brunch.

Anita April 20, 2010 at 7:47 am

I’m a tea person. I started a vegan lifestyle about a year ago and I stopped taking diet pills that had way to much caffeine. I guess my body has changed and even drinking half a cup of coffee gets me shaking and sweating. I can only drink about 2 cups of green tea without getting shaky. But, I love herbal teas :) In place of coffee try roasted dandelion root tea!! It has a similar flavor to coffee plus some of the color and is caffeine free. It has a really great smokey flavor and is good for detoxing your liver.

Niki July 13, 2010 at 8:47 am

I just can’t seem to enjoy the taste of tea. I’ve tried but I feel it’s just not my thing. I work at Starbucks so I’m constantly surrounded by coffee. I feel that things like tea, coffee, and beer are all aquired tastes. I didn’t like coffee to begin with but I absolutely love it now! I prefer iced coffee with a little bit of soy milk (almond milk if it’s available). It’s not for the caffeine because I could drink decaf everyday. I just love the taste.