Make Work Fun

Hello there!

Thank-you for the amazing discussion on negative comments this morning! I loved, loved, loved this piece of advice from Ashley K’s mom:

Pay close attention to the things that make your blood boil. Get your heart racing. Makes you want to prove people wrong. For it’s those things that you’re MOST passionate about – and that you should always pursue!”

Isn’t that so true?!

My mid-morning snack was a raw and gluten-free Glo Bar. Just a few more tweaks! I have been consulting an amazing raw foodist for help with all of my questions. Gena has been a huge help. :)

Eric and I are already fighting over the dwindling supply…

IMG_4293

I didn’t think he would go for a raw Glo Bar, but Eric is crazy over these!

Lunch started with an old friend…well, half of an old friend (the bigger half mauhauha)

IMG_4294

plus one of my favourite tomato sauces…

IMG_4299

Mixed with about 1.5 cups of re-heated quinoa!

I love making a huge batch of grains on Sunday and then using them for leftovers during the week. Very easy throw together lunches.

IMG_4303

I love polka dots on dishware. Actually I just love polka dots in general.

IMG_4302

Then it was time to train my new employee.

Meet Kristin, everyone!

I first met Kristin at an OSG meet-up in Toronto. Kristin is currently training at a culinary school in Toronto to become a chef… and let me tell you she is a master in the kitchen!

I was a bit worried about how I would do today with my first training, but I found that it was pretty easy. I mean, I do do this every single day after all. ;)

If there is one thing I did know going into this process it was that I want Glo Bakery to be a FUN environment for my employees. I don’t want people to dread coming here to work. I want people to be inspired, motivated, and excited about the future of the business! Basically, I want this work environment to be anything BUT what I experienced in previous workplaces…dull, boring, sterile, and uptight…

Life is short, let’s have some fun!

With this goal in mind, I started off my first official training day with a beautiful walk outside with Kristin. Why be stuck indoors when you can get some fresh air, reduce stress, and have a nice chat? (I used to love when my teachers would let us have class outdoors!).

The day flew by and ended with Kristin and I learning how to jump start a car (don’t ask!). ;)

After Kristin left, I had a quick bite to eat with Eric and got back to work as I still had several orders to do up. It has been a LONG day and after I hit publish on this post, I will be working until about 11pm. Can’t wait for sleeeeeeep.

Updates:

Today’s question- What do you do for a living? Is your workplace a fun environment?

Sweet dreams…

1 EaterNotARunner April 15, 2010

I just made a big batch of quinoa…..so great to have in the fridge!

2 jessica @ how sweet April 15, 2010

Mmm I love a good avocado! Just had some tonight myself. That is so exciting about your employee – and I’m sure you are the best trainer! If it started with a beautiful walk, it had to be a good time!

3 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 15, 2010

Glad to hear you had a fun day!
I work with special needs adults and also with low income kids/families!! plus school plus a free lance writing job!! Phewfff.. I am going back to school in the fall to be able to work in the school as an education assistant!! :)

I make it fun always, I work with kids, so we are always silly and having fun!!! The office part of it is a different story though!! haha

4 Cynthia (It All Changes) April 15, 2010

I’m a pastor and I love everyday. Even when troubles pop up I am my own boss and can work to fix them. I love being able to think of new ideas and for my Headquarters bosses to compliment my new ideas and I love that I can work with Hunni every day :-)

5 Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 15, 2010

Oh I’m so jealous, I’d LOVE to work for someone like you!!!!!!! Ok I’d just love to work for you period haha
I’m working at an elementary school right now with some little kiddies that I love, I seriously would do anything for them, they are my world. But I’m going to be going to culinary school soon :)

6 Stephanie April 15, 2010

Right now I work on the peadiatrics team for a community-based nursing agency. I LOVE IT. Work itself can be a bit stressful, and there are always sad days working with very sick children, but we do school visits as well and stuff like that… and caring for these kids is an absolute BLAST. Someone makes me laugh every single day. It’s an awesome job!

Good luck Kristin!! You sound like an awesome boss, Angela!

7 Lisa April 15, 2010

My job can be high stress so we try to joke around as much as we can to lighten the mood. Are your Globars in stores?

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2010

Yes they are carried in Ambrosia in Thornhill right now :)

9 Lauren April 15, 2010

You have OSG meetups in Toronto? I’m missing out!

The raw glo bar looks and sounds delicious. Also, I’m trying the vegan overnight oats this weekend…just need to get the chia seeds first.
Have a good night!

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2010

yes I have had a few now! I announce it on my blog a few weeks beforehand and then in weeks leading up to it :)

11 Ameena April 15, 2010

I work in entertainment finance and since I can work from home now my workplace is quiet but nice. I used to love being on a huge studio lot but I do enjoy the peace and quiet of being at home.

Once in a while I need to go to the office though to be around noise and some fun!

12 Rachel April 15, 2010

I can’t say I dread going to my full time job, (I hate the part time, but that’s a whole other story,) but I don’t look forward to it either. I’ve only had one job that I looked forward to going to, and it was an intership in college. I wish I could LOVE my job.. but I really just like it. With a lower case “L.” Can you open a place in NC? And hire me? :)

13 Heather April 15, 2010

I am a student right now in an Occupational Therapy masters program. I love the profession but school was definitely not always a fun environment. So much pressure and work to be done. I actually just wrote my last exam EVER yesterday, and it is very surreal! I can’t believe I will never be an in-classroom student again. Once I actually begin working in the field, I know it will be an amazing job and I love that I will have the ability to help people do things that are meaningful to them!

14 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 15, 2010

Supremely jealous I am not in Kristin’s shoes right now!! Don’t be surprised if you hear a knock on the door…it’s me :)

15 Jen April 15, 2010

I am a third grade teacher and my workplace is very fun! I am always thinking of new and fun ways to teach what is otherwise boring content. Kids keep you young and on your toes. You never know what they’ll say or do next! I wouldn’t trade it for the world :)

16 Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 15, 2010

She looks like the perfect employee with the same passions and desires as you. Should be a perfect fit. Kristin is one lucky girl to be your first employee.

Remember, hard work pays off.

17 Kelsey April 15, 2010

i use simply natural sauces all the time. i love roasted red pepper <3

18 janetha April 15, 2010

that is soooo awesome kristin is working for you! I LOVE HER SO MUCH!

19 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 15, 2010

That’s so cool you have an employee now. Really moving up in the world! :)

I’m a freelance writer searching for full-time work. It’s HARD to pay the bills just by freelancing so, unfortunately, I need to find an office job for a while.

20 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 15, 2010

Oh my goodness that sounds like the best first day of work ever. Kristin is a lucky girl!

21 Jil April 15, 2010

Yayy for Kristin!!! :)

22 AshleyK April 15, 2010

You are ADORABLE! I instantly called my mom and said, “Your quote is famous!” :) :) :) Thanks for making our days!

Although I work full-time, my 2010 goal is to start a blog about fitness, happiness & women empowerment! You’ve been SUCH an inspiration and don’t even release – so I thank you.

Cheers to you and your new employee! Amazing things await!

23 Lisa C. April 15, 2010

Congrats on your first employee! What an accomplishment!

24 Pam April 15, 2010

I’ve been a fan for awhile, and a raw foodie. I was so excited to hear about you adding a raw bar to your repertoire!

Can’t wait to try it!

25 Run Sarah April 15, 2010

Love the idea of adding avocado and tomato sauce to quinoa – I am sometimes stumped at what to serve it with!

26 Lisa April 15, 2010

Angela – I love your approach to running your business and to now being an employer! If only there were more employers out there like you!!!

27 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 15, 2010

I’m happy the training was successful :)

I worked as a coach at a sports camp. It depended on who I was working with if it was fun. One week people were majorly stressed out and the next the people I was were super laid back and fun! It all depends on the people you surround yourself with.

28 Miranda @ www.mirandasjeans.blogspot.com April 15, 2010

Sadly my work environment is not a fun one. Sadly it is very much like being out on the school yard in high school. And I am in social work. Sadly the field is full of women and a few great men. And where I am the women are noting short of catty. I find out Monday however after 3 months of anxiety if I am going to be laid off. I secretly hope I get laid off as I will take that a my hand being forced to choose change.

To find out about potential upcoming changes, follow me on my blog.

29 Stephanie April 15, 2010

I appreciate your attitude about the work environment of your bakery. It’s refreshing. I work at a law firm, but am not a lawyer. It’s like “The Devil Wears Prada.” I dread work every day. Luckily, it’s only temporary…

30 Jenny April 15, 2010

You sound like an awesom eboss!

31 Allison @ Food For Healing April 15, 2010

thats exciting!

I serve coffee to a bunch of jerks, and a few nice people. Trying so hard to get out, and I will. Going to be a Holistic Nutritionist as soon as i get done schooling. So excited!

32 Jewel@fit-and-fabulous-jewel April 15, 2010

I never expected you would provide anything but the sunniest, healthiest, most enjoyable work environment!

Congratulations to you and Kristen…love her blog too!

I work at home, for myself (so I guess my boss is pretty good to me LOL). It does get kind of lonely sometimes though!

33 Heather (Heather's Dish) April 15, 2010

oh yikes…i’m a customer service rep for a great company. my job is NOT fun (not even a little bit) but i love the company and my co-workers, which makes it MUCH better than it could be! sounds like your job is a blast though :)

34 Jacquie April 15, 2010

I’ve been lucky to work/intern at places that have been very supportive. Maybe not always fun, but definitely supportive which has been great.

PS: I’m jealous of Kristin! I hope she has a blast :)

PPS: I love polka dots too!

35 Naomi April 15, 2010

I wish I could work for you ;)

It’s totally off topic but I was just in Toronto for the last month (from Australia) and I ordered a box of 20 Glo Bars that I LOVED!

Anyway, I was in High Park with my daughter and the cutest squirrel came up looking for food. The only thing I had with me was a cranberry Glo Bar. I thought it might be a bit sweet for him but I knew it was healthy so we broke little bits off and fed him. So cute! I can send you a photo if you want.

I was in love with the squirrels – I wish we had them here.

36 Leah April 15, 2010

Im a receptionist/office manager in an office where I am the only girl. We sell to a 95% male industry, and I would hate my job if my bosses werent so great. There is a lot of laughter, and a lot of joking around all day long. Thats whats kept me there.

37 Carbzilla April 15, 2010

I LOVE that you started with a walk. What a wonderful start to a work day.

I manage an office – there are 9 women. It’s fun but stressful and sometimes we drive each other crazy. Sometimes our clients drive us crazy. We’re friends but don’t hang out together that much outside of work b/c we spend so much time together as it is. Though the actual work isn’t that challenging to me, I’ve worked far worse places!

38 Rachel April 15, 2010

I work for a bankruptcy attorney which I know probably sounds really dry and boring!

However, my boss keeps things really fun. He takes us out for Happy Hour, gives us bonuses on weeks where we do well, and lets us off early on Fridays but pays us like we’ve worked until 5.

There’s a lot to be said for a good boss in relation to how much you enjoy your job!!!

39 Jolene April 15, 2010

I teach grade 7/8 and it is SO much fun! I have a great class, and 13 and 14 year olds are pretty funny sometimes :-)

Working for you sounds great though!!!!!! A nice leisurely walk on the first day!!! Count me in!

40 Diana April 16, 2010

I am a freelance photographer so I don’t have a workplace per se, I have lots of different workplaces! Sometimes it’s fun other times not so much, it just really depends on the kind of job + the people I’m shooting. :)

I would totally love to work with you! :)

41 deisegirl April 16, 2010

I’m a civil servant so it’s not exactly FUN stuff (and anyone in Ireland who’s not a civil servant hates civil servants right now because we have jobs that are – more or less – safe) but there’s nearly always a bit of banter in my office so that’s fun :) My office are big on throwing “tea parties” (well they just go out and buy fizzy drinks and junk food!) if anyone moves section or has a birthday or wins a fiver on the lotto (OK slight exaggeration but they love their godamn tea parties!). The parties are nearly as cringey and awkward as the ones in The Office!!

42 Emmanuelle April 16, 2010

Your office definitely sounds like fun, congratulations to Kristin, and you of course!

I am a PA to the CEO of an events company specializing in fashion shows. So, yeah, the company is fun and I would have a lot of stories to tell, it’s just that the PA job is not for me anymore, I don’t love it, I am even starting to hate it. Soooo I have started changing careers, one step at a time. I have only found out recently what, more importantly, who I want to be.

Oh, and I finally found my chia seeds, I can start experimenting with them now, first on the list: vegan overnight oats!

43 lindsay April 16, 2010

I love that advice, so true and so nice to hear! Quinoa and avocado have to be a FAVORITE of mine. Eat up!

44 Jenn April 16, 2010

I used to love my job as a manager for a large contact centre. When the company was aquired by different firm, it wasn’t so much fun, the people made the job fun. Unfortunately, that kept me there for longer than I should have been. I wasn’t happy, but stayed because I loved the people! We were all laid off in June, and this gave me the opportunity to go back to school and totally get a do-over. Graduating from Medical Office in 4 weeks and looking forward to a new career (hopefully!).

45 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 16, 2010

Well I just started working for this online bakery… and my boss is kind of mean… kidding! haha

I had so much fun, I am very excited to work for your bakery! You really were good at training, easy peasy! I’m sure you’ll be an awesome boss :)

I have had the good, the bad, and the ugly… jobs that I was excited to go to, jobs that made me want to pull my hair out… I’m sure this one will be the former!

xo

Kris

46 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 16, 2010

That looks like a dollarama bowl!

47 Katie April 16, 2010

I never think of quinoa as pasta. It looks so good with the pasta sauce! Polka dots are so much fun on anything!

I’m a full-time mom. With a 6-month old, my work environment is a blast!

48 Jenna April 16, 2010

I wish i could work for you :)

49 Heather (Where's the Beach) April 16, 2010

Um, can I come work for you please???

50 GlowingBIL April 16, 2010

My workplace is mixed. I work from home so the joy of having breakfast and lunch with my family everyday is wonderful. My job can be political with my current management team but how bad can it be since I WORK FROM HOME and love it :)

As for avacado Patrick (Angela’s nephew) and I split one mixed with half a tomato last night… yum.

Good luck to Kristen

51 Darci April 16, 2010

sounds like a great first day for Kristen!

i would say I have a great work environment. we all get along great and there isn’t much for cat-i-ness, which is good!!

52 Sophie @ yumventures April 16, 2010

So exciting that you have an employee! You have come so far with your bakery, its amazing :)

53 Paige @ Running Around Normal April 16, 2010

I’m happy to hear it went so well:) Congrats!

54 Catherine April 16, 2010

Well, I don’t exactly love my job, but there are some real gems that I work with that make the day go by much quicker. Those people and lovely blogs such as yours definitely make work more enjoyable! One perk of my job that I really like though is the fact that they’re very flexible and I can work from home if not feeling well, leave early without needing permission, etc. because we have a very open “so long as you’re getting your work done” type policy – it also involves free tickets to Yankees games during work ;)

55 Diana April 16, 2010

I work in interior design. I help people design new kitchens and bathrooms! I love working in a creative environment. Althought most of the time it is fun – there is some math involved which I could live without. haha.

56 Sarah April 16, 2010

Congratulations on your first employee! I currently work as an assistant/office manager/marketing manager/sales manager for a small event management business. I went to school for event management, and while I love seeing the ideas turn into reality, I do not love working for this company. There is a lot of tension and ill will, and I would love to find something where I can use my creativity, my passion for healthy living, and my extreme organizational skills to the max!

57 Kat April 16, 2010

Hi Angela, long time reader..first time poster I think!

Just wanted to say how excited I am for a RAW glo bar. Can’t wait to order, I’m sure they are delicious.

I work for a financial advisor and love my boss, definetly something is to be said for the kind of boss you work for. Congratulations on your growing career!

58 Sam April 16, 2010

I am an Executive Assistant to the CEO of an IT company. Some days I love it, some days I hate it, but usually I fall into the middle. I love the job itself. It’s the frenzy at which we move that leaves something to be desired.

59 Jaimers April 16, 2010

Congrats on your new employee! That must be very exciting for you! :)

I blog for a living. It’s awesome. I’m my own boss and I do what I want. I work a lot more than I did when I had the “9 to 5” but it’s what I want to do, so it often doesn’t feel like work.

60 Grace aka Triathlonbabe April 16, 2010

Playing catch up on your blogs and thought I almost passed this one up with the avocados pictured. One of my favorite veggies/fruit. I eat them a lot even though they are high in fat, I always use the excuse, “it’s the good fat”….LOL! Yummy!

As for my job, I am a QA Analyst for bank software….ugh! I really don’t enjoy my job, it’s a very up and down stressful job and can be very mundane at times. I do have to say that I have some freedoms that a lot of folks don’t but like others some days are better than others. How awesome for you to have employees, I’m sure this is going to make your job a bit easier. I wish you all the luck and will order bars soon.

61 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad April 17, 2010

I am a psychologist, and I work in the BEST work environment! Everyone is super helpful. We celebrate every one’s birthdays and have a good time every day.

62 Susan April 17, 2010

Ooohhhh, I love Kristin!!! I’m so behind, that’s so exciting she’s working with you now!!

Currently, I’m a Communications Officer at a small Liberal Arts university here in town. It’s my alma matter, and my boss, the communications director, taught me. When the temporary position opened up, he thought of me and gave me a call! I LOVE it. I love the school to begin with, but I work in a gorgeous building, the people there are awesome, the work is easy but just challenging enough, with a variety of projects. Some days I’m at my desk writing, others I’m off supervising photo shoots, or interviewing interesting alumni.

My favourite thing about my current boss is that he accepts mistakes and moves on. He doesn’t expect perfection from me and has a good sense of humour about screw ups. Often times there’s not much you can do to fix mistakes, so he knows it’s best to just learn from them and move on :)

63 Heidi April 17, 2010

I work in Loss Prevention catching shoplifters. It is the best job in the world–won’t do anything else ever again! And I currently have the best bosses so I’m one lucky gal! :)

64 Dominique April 19, 2010

Up until the end of last year I used to be a post office manager. It was an awesome job but I couldn’t deal with my boss. I was the last manager to quit so I pretty much stuck it out as long as I could.

Now I work in a lab that analyzes food samples and we also do quality control-related stuff. It’s pretty cool but I just deal with the customer service stuff, not the actual testing. I think that if I did the actual testing I’d be a little stunned to find out what was in some of the samples we often get in the lab.

65 MB April 20, 2010

Unfortunately I’ve never worked in a fun law office. I don’t think there is such a thing which is why I don’t want to go back to one. I’ve been unemployed since November and can’t remember the last time I was this happy. The stress of the daily grind was killing me. I’m so happy to be out but now I have to find a fun place that will pay me enough money to keep the roof over my head. Kristin is lucky to have you for a boss.