Exciting Announcement!

Good morning!

Thank you so much for all of your amazing comments in last night’s Kicking the Coke habit!!! Eric and I read through all of them together and we were blown away by your encouragement and personal stories. I think he definitely feels like this is something he can conquer!! :) If you are looking for some encouragement to kick the soda habit or to just stick to a healthier lifestyle, I suggest reading over the comments because they are super motivating!

I purchased two huge bins of organic spinach at Costco on the weekend only to come home and realize that I already had two bags of spinach in the fridge! Opps. This week has been deemed SPINACH week in our house.

My morning consisted of a beautiful Green Monster packed with as much spinach as I could fit…

IMG_4153

[Winter was hard on our Ikea outdoor table this winter!!! Guess we should have brought it inside…oops]

Enjoyed outside in the sun. I love Spring!

IMG_4151

Ingredients:

• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 ice cubes
  • 4 cups spinach
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1 tablespoon Artisana Raw Almond Butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon raw maca powder
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Meal Powder

Eric wants to tear out our rotting deck this summer and build a new one (not sure if the budget will allow for this however!). We are also talking about building a vegetable garden!

IMG_4152

Exciting Announcement!

Yesterday Eric and I had quite the interesting discussion on our hike!

We got on the topic of fun outdoor activities that we can do this summer and Eric started talking about how he wants to get into Mountain biking. We have so many conservation parks within a few miles of us and there are so many challenging trails to tackle. He also wants to get clip-ins for his mountain bike which is something I wouldn’t mind getting myself, especially if we were going to do it on a regular basis.

THEN…we started talking about swimming in lakes. Saturday at Costco, we came across these awesome wet suits for just $33 (don’t you love Costco?). We’d love to get some to wear in the lake up at Eric’s parent’s house (the water doesn’t warm up until about July or August!).

We chatted some more and then Eric said it would be fun to train for a triathlon!!!!!

600-triathlon1

[source]

My jaw dropped. I have never heard Eric say he wanted to compete in a sport. He used to play sports in high school (football, basketball, volleyball, etc), but he was turned off by the overly competitive nature of it. He really dislikes when people take sports too seriously and he says it took the fun out of it for him.

Here’s the thing.

Eric is not a swimmer (from his lips, not mine!). He never took lessons and he considers himself a very poor swimmer. He loves swimming in lakes, but as for actually doing strokes and whatnot, he says he is horrible at it and really doubts his ability.

He also really dislikes running.

So you can see my total shock at him saying that he wanted to try a triathlon! This is bringing him WAY out of his comfort zone.

I told Eric about the Subaru Triathlon Series with TriSport Canada that is really popular in Ontario. I know about it because I was going to train for a triathlon last June (and didn’t tell you guys!!), because I chickened out and never signed up! I just couldn’t bring myself to try it. This time last year I was also scared to run in a RACE and after my first 10k race I discovered that it wasn’t scary at all!

Untitled

The Subaru Triathlon Series offers an entry level race called ‘TRY A TRI’ for beginners doing their first triathlon.

We checked it out online last night and Eric told me that he wants to SIGN UP! GAH!

The great thing about this Subaru Triathlon Series is that they have several locations in Ontario and different dates to chose from. We decided on the Milton Kelso location because we will be able to do some of our training on the actual course as it isn’t too far from us!

The TRY A TRI is VERY beginner friendly and I think anyone could do it:

• Swim 375m, Bike 10km, Run 2.5km

Course Map [click to enlarge]:

Untitled

Eric and I will be not only competing in our first triathlon on JUNE 6th 2010, but we will be doing it TOGETHER!

I am just so excited that he wants to do this. I would run to Yukon and back if he asked me to. I want us to support each other during our training and conquer our fear of swimming in lakes! I can’t believe we are really signed up!!

Today’s question- Do you consider yourself a good swimmer? Do you have a fear of swimming in open water like we do? Would you ever train for a triathlon or have you ever competed in one?

I consider myself an OK swimmer. When I was young I used to take swimming lessons and I swam competitively in grade 1, however I have not done any lessons in over 12 years and I feel really out of tune. I have always had a fear of swimming in lakes and not being able to see all the wonderful creatures around me…I’m hoping with some practice (and a wet suit) we will feel more comfortable.

Enjoy your day!

1 Heather (Heather's Dish) April 12, 2010

i think the best part about this is the fact that y’all will be tackling it together! i can’t wait to read about training as a couple :) i wouldn’t call myself an excellent swimmer, but i love doing it and find joy in it…that’s what counts, right?! hurray and congrats!

2 Jessica April 12, 2010

My husband has been wanting to get into Adventure Races/Triathalons again. He likes them because it’s the chance to train for different things, and not just running. Exciting news!

Jessica

3 Kelly April 12, 2010

Yayy! You guys should definitely do it! I did my first sprint triathlon last summer and swimming was definitely the scariest part for me, especially because it was an open water swim in the ocean. It was very scary but I ended up being fine on that day. That said, if I did it again I’d probably still be nervous about swimming in the open water because I’d be worried it would be rougher that day or something. It ended up being SUCh a fun experience and I’m so glad you are thinking of taking it on! That sounds like a perfect one to start with! A lot of the difficulty of a triathlon is the logistics so it will be great to focus less on distance and more on transitions and knowing how to do all the sports for your first time :)

4 elliebelle April 12, 2010

Congrats on doing the tri together. How exciting! I’m definitely not a competitive swimmer, but I can swim, and LOVE being in the water. I grew up on a lake and have swam in many northern Wisconsin lakes (which I’m assuming are quite similar to the lakes in Canada). I’ve never had any bad experiences in the lakes – I’m sure you both will do great! Can’t wait to hear how your training goes!

5 Christie {Honoring Health} April 12, 2010

What an exciting adventure! Good luck to both of your during your training!

Neither my husband or I are good swimmers. I took swimming lessons as a kid but it has never really been my thing.

6 Paige @ Running Around Normal April 12, 2010

How exciting!! That’s even more awesome that it was his idea and you’ll be training together.:)

7 FitSugar April 12, 2010

I have always liked swimming, but had never done much open water swimming before I did my first tri. It is soooo much fun. I highly recommend joining a training group that has organized workouts. This way you can swim in a group in the open water for practice. It makes a big difference. You really need to swim in the open water at least twice, if not more, before your race.

8 Lex @ sweettoothlex April 12, 2010

That is fantastic!!! I laughed when you talked about your jaw dropping. Sometimes our men can say the darndest things!! Like – did that JUST come out of your mouth???

the Try an TRI is a wicked concept!! Very cool!

Good luck to you both!

9 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 12, 2010

How exciting!!!! I grew up swimming in summer swim leagues- I was never the best (ok, ok I was the worst) on the team, but I guess I still know how to swim pretty decently. I didn’t realize I was a decent swimmer til I took my hubby to the pool with my one day and he was absolutely wiped out in minutes. I did my first triathlon last year, and it was amazing!! I think it would be awesome to train together- my husband has toyed with the idea but not enough to commit yet :)

10 Shelly April 12, 2010

Yay!! That is awesome news!
I never swam competitively but my family had a huge pool when I was a kid (our property used to be a day camp and my family basically bought the land and build a house on it) and I spent all my time in the summers in the pool. So I am not bother by swimming and am actually swimming with a friend who is training for a tri. I’ve only gone a couple of times but your endurance builds up pretty fast. I was huffing and puffing about 30 yards into my 50 yard laps the first time, and now I’m doing the same thing 75 yards into 100 yard laps. Haha.
I actually have no desire to do a triathalon b/c I really don’t enjoy riding a bike- it really makes the bones in my butt hurt! (sorry for the TMI)

11 Lizzie April 12, 2010

YAY!! That sounds like so much fun. My husband wants to do some road races together this year. He started focusing more on his health and fitness at the start of this year and it’s so fun to be able to see him feel good and stick with it. He used to run cross country in high school so I have a feeling he’s going to be kicking my butt soon!

Looking forward to seeing you both complete this. Inspiring! I am also not a strong swimmer. Actually thinking about taking some lessons to brush up on my kicking. Don’t be embarrassed about it :)

12 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 12, 2010

I freeze my spinach when I have too much!
My hubby to be did one of those TRY-athalons 2 summers ago and it was awesome! He LOVED it. It was intense enough that he felt like he was doing a Tri… but easy enough that it made him want to do it again.

He did mention however, he was totally fine for the running and biking part… he trained intensely for the swimming part, but found that part really really hard. The water was super cold, and all the people splashing around him made it hard for him. He panicked a little I think, he ended up coming out of the water last :(

So excited for you guys! That will be loads of fun!! :)

13 Jenny April 12, 2010

Congrats! I’ve never seen a try a tri here, wish I could!

14 Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 12, 2010

WOW, congratulations!!!!! I’m a terrible swimmer but I actually love it! I’d really like to do a tri one day!

15 Lynda April 12, 2010

I’m like you…I’m scared of the little creatures in the lake :( I think that TRI sounds great apart from the swimming part of it, totally doable.

I think that’s awesome that you are going to do it together. Good for you both!

16 Steph April 12, 2010

You should try a duathlon (run-bike-run)! Many triathlon series will also have duathlons at the same event.

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010

yup I think this location even has a DU!

18 Pam April 12, 2010

I loved this post. It got me all emotional, and inspired because I have been waaay too intimidated to ever attempt a triathalon. In southern Cali, the swimming portion is in the ocean, and I’m afraid of it! I’m not a very strong swimmer. (I’m strong at treading water, but actual strokes leave me swallowing water, and really tired). I’m also less than graceful on a bike.

I can’t wait to follow along on your journey for the triathalon training! It just might motivate me to try it too. I also want to improve my swimming so I can learn to surf (my husband’s an avid surfer), and somewhat get over my fear of the ocean.

Thanks for sharing!

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010

I cant wait to share my journey with you! :)

20 angela @ a healthy fit April 12, 2010

So awesome! I keep dreaming for the day my hubs will want to sign up for a race.

21 Jess @ Gluten Freesta April 12, 2010

How exciting! I tried to get my hunny to run a 10-miler with me… as we were signing up for it, we discovered that we had a conflict on the date of the race :( I will try again. I hope you two enjoy the experience together.

22 Steph April 12, 2010

I did my first try-a-tri last June and then completed a sprint tri in September. Both races were in Lakeside, Ontario and part of the MultiSport Canada Triathlon Series (formerly HSBC Triathlon Series). http://www.msctriathlon.com/ms/index.cfm

I am not a strong swimmer but I’m “ok” enough. I found the open-water swim for the sprint to be a lot tougher and more intimidating than the try-a-tri. The good news is if you wear a wetsuit you will float a little more and you can always flip over on your back and take some strokes if you need a rest or to catch your breath.

I agree with you that anyone can do it. I’d even say anyone could do a sprint distance – it takes under 2 hours. You’ll find people of all ages, shapes, sizes and abilities at the event and from my experience people are very friendly and encouraging – even during the race! Good luck with your training and let me know if you need any beginner tips. I’m going back for more this summer!!

23 Jenn April 12, 2010

Hi Steph! I have done Lakeside as well! Loved it. Will you be doing woodstock this year? See you there!

24 Steph April 12, 2010

Probably!! I’ll be doing the Lakeside sprint in September again for sure. It’s so convenient for me to race in that area because my family lives nearby.

25 Fae April 12, 2010

Do you have a recap of the Try a Tri on your blog??? I would love to read it??

26 Steph April 12, 2010

Fae – unfortunately my blog is only a couple months old so I don’t have a recap. Are you thinking about doing one?

27 Fae April 12, 2010

Yes, thanks to Angela’s post!!! I’m looking into right now. :)

I only have a cheapie bike that I got at Canadian Tire. Would you recommend getting a proper one for the Try a Tri??

Also, what are these clip-ins that Angela mentioned in the post??

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010

I love this comment notification, awesome!

Also glad that you guys can connect through my post :) So fun. Keep me posted.

Dont quote me on the clip ins…I have no idea what im talking about!

29 Steph April 13, 2010

Hey ladies… I’ve got a lengthy reply with pedal and bike info that won’t post for some reason. If you send me an email stephnairn [at] gmail [dot] com I can fill you in!

30 Ashley April 12, 2010

i am SUCH a water sissy! otherwise i’d love to do a tri! you guys are going to be GREAT :)

31 Laura April 12, 2010

Congrats! My husband is a duathlete (running and biking) and I train with different levels of triathletes so I see their accomplishments and am in awe of their training.
Have fun!

32 Marina April 12, 2010

Wow, that’s amazing!
I consider myself an ok swimmer, but in reality, I can only do that girly swim :D I can’t do that breath stroke really well ’cause of my lung problems, I’d probably suffocate while putting my head in the water every two strokes!

33 Kristin April 12, 2010

Wow! This is so exciting! I wish my hubby was into my type of sports! This sounds like an excellent experience. I am celebrating my 10 year anniversary of doing triathlons with my first ever Olympic Distnace Tri in June! Watch out they can be addicting!

34 Elizabeth April 12, 2010

What exciting plans! I love swimming but have never raced or “tried” a tri– it’s definitely on my fit list, though. Best of luck with the training (and to Eric on kicking the Coke… I am a Diet Cokeaholic, so I know it’s not easy). :)

35 Lisa April 12, 2010

hey-
I’m in the Try a Tri….my first one too!
See you there!

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010

whohoo!

37 Lauren April 12, 2010

Eric is on a roll! :) This is so exciting for you guys! I could see you and him, and your little childern years from now all doing little family races together! :) haha

38 Jessica @ How Sweet April 12, 2010

That is amazing! Go for the tri! :)

39 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 12, 2010

Awesome! Good luck with training :)

40 Lisa April 12, 2010

This is sooo cool! What an exciting event to train for. I am a HUGE swimmer, always have been. It’s my favorite sport, and the exercise I did to lose 100 pounds.

FYI–check Goodwill and Value Village/thrift stores for wet suits. I got a wetsuit for $2 recently!

41 Diana April 12, 2010

I consider myself a decent swimmer. Not awesome but not bad either! I don’t really fear swimming in open water but I think that’s because we don’t really have sharks or alligators or whatever here ahah At least it’s not common AT ALL.
I wouldn’t do a tri right now but mostly because I’m aware that I’m not fit enough to do that right now and I very much doubt that I have the resistance to do it. It does sound like a fun challenge. :) Good luck with the training!

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010

im afraid of fish hahaha and leeches

43 Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 12, 2010

That is so exciting! I swam competitively in high school, but I would be afraid of the biking, I haven’t biked since I was 10!

44 Joy April 12, 2010

congrats! Have fun – I have done multiple tris but I don’t swim so I either do a team tri or I just skip it (making it a bi??) but people are always sooooo nice at them!

45 Cecilia April 12, 2010

Wow, this sounds so exciting! I can’t wait to follow your journey to this race!

And Eric: congrats on deciding to kick the coke habit. I think the decision is often the hardest part, and I’m sure now that you have something as exciting as a triathlon to look forward to and train for, you will have no problem staying away from it!

I am actually on the verge on signing up for a sprint triathlon myself. I used to be a competitive swimmer, so I’m not worried about that, or about the run, but I’m unsure of my biking abilities… maybe it’s time I face my fears though?

46 Ashleigh April 12, 2010

That’s so great! I did a sprint triathlon 5 months after having my second baby, and if I could do it, anyone can! I took swimming lessons as a kid, but I tend to get freaked out in open water. With all of the adrenaline and people swimming around me, I had to turn over on my back and swim that way for a while. I felt stupid, but looked around and found A LOT of people doing that. You just get too hyped up and can’t breathe as well. So, my advice for the swimming part is to just get through it, even if you have to glide on your back the whole time. I also didn’t train extremely hard for this (even though I should have) because I wasn’t allowed to work out for the first 2 months after having my baby and then I was just tired and not as motivated as I wanted to be. I’m just letting you know, SERIOUSLY, if I could do it, you and Eric will breeze through it. Good luck!

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010

congrats! Love your story and tips.

48 Bree April 12, 2010

June 6th is our 4-year wedding anniversary :-D so hopefully it will be good luck for you guys!! haha!

I have always wanted to do a triathalon but I’m a chicken when it comes to swimming in lakes with sea weed and fish!!!

49 nut April 12, 2010

I am not a swimmer..havent swam for years. water does kind of scare me…which is odd cuz i grew up around it, etc. I am so amazed at u and Eric – that is so so amazing for u both to do.
And that “hot chocolate” link looks amazing – so going to try that.
Just recently one of my blogger friends was wondering what to do with quinoa and since she is vegan I suggested your maple syrup/almond butter/quinoa breakfast. Your recipes are so attractive.

50 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 12, 2010

What a fun thing to do! I love to swim, but open water kind of freaks me out. I have thought of a triathalon, but I think Nick and I are going to try mountain biking this summer, so I think I’ll start there- my biking skills are worse than my swimming skills!!

xo
K

51 Britt @ Runnerbelle April 12, 2010

I actually signed up for my first tri a couple weeks ago. I will most likely do another before the one I signed up for though….. as I’m a crazy person and signed up for a half iron. :-) (will find a sprint tri to do first)

I’m really excited though. I’m currently training for my 13th marathon, but just running all the time has gotten a bit old. I do other workouts but training for a tri will mean I HAVE to bike and swim, running will no longer take priority over them.

I was a lifeguard back in high school and have always been a fairly strong swimmer…. but never raced. I’m happy I’ve committed to the race as it will give me a great goal to work towards all summer (half iron is in September).

52 Lori April 12, 2010

I am also training for my first tri (olympic length). However, I swam for a division 1 school in college, so the swim is not a worry. Im more worried about the bike. I would stongly recommend joining a club or getting lessons for swimming (even ask a friend who is a strong swimmer). Swimming is by far the shortest section of the tri, but seems to tbe the most difficult for most people simply because they do not know proper technique. Technique is KEY in swimming. It is just WAAAY more important than in biking or running. Goodluck

53 Genie April 12, 2010

HOW COOL!!! This is on my bucket list (as well as running a race)! I can’t wait to follow you along. It’s so great that you two can enjoy this together!

54 Liz April 12, 2010

I’m training for my first triathlon right now (sprint). I am not a good swimmer so I’m definitely scared of that portion! Plus I’m not sure if I will get any open water practice before hand.

55 kathleen April 12, 2010

I love swimming! But only for fun, not competitively. I learned in the ocean, so I’m a fearless swimmer.

56 Heather April 12, 2010

I did my first triathlon last year, and it was a try a tri distance, and though it was tough, I really liked the variety of events as opposed to just running. I had raced a few running races before, and though I had fun, it was really cool do try something totally different.

I did a longer triathlon later last summer, and loved that one even more, and found the lake swim surprisingly fun. It’s so chaotic in the water during a triathlon that I found the actual SWIMMING part the last thing on my mind, and not getting kicked or off track more important. I’m not a strong swimmer at all, but I did great and didn’t freak out. (I think the wetsuit buoyancy and larger goggles with a big field of vision helped with that). I liked triathlons so much that I’m doing an even bigger one this year.

I love doing a race with someone as well. I’ve done a few races with my sister, and this year I’m doing a half marathon with 12 other people in my family, and I can’t wait!

You guys will have so much fun!

57 aneta April 12, 2010

hey! that is awesome, angela!
i am doing that race as well. i will be competing in the duathlon! how exciting!!!!!

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010

awesome goodluck!

59 Kate April 12, 2010

How exciting! Good luck!! :) I’m terrified of open water unless I can touch the bottom. And one of my biggest fears is drowning, so I think I’d be a hot mess in open water trying to swim. I wish I wasn’t like that cause the open water would feel so free and exhilerating. :)

60 Laura Georgina April 12, 2010

Yay!! You two will mos def rock it, especially because you’ll be doing it together. I’d love to do one while I’m in North America so I’m definitely going to check the link out–I’ll be a short drive from Ontario anyway:-)

I swim in the pool and love it, but I’ve never done any open-water swimming and it kind of freaks me out. I’m sure the wetsuit will help, as would getting to try out the water before the race itself.

61 Bre April 12, 2010

Subaru series rocks!!!! HSBC series also has a bunch of races here too that offer try a tri’s. Both are great series, well run, amazing volunteers and so much fun! :) I loved racing each of those series last summer- do it, do it, do it!!!! Message me if you have any questions :)

62 Adrienne April 12, 2010

Yay I am so excited to follow your triathalon training process! I want to compete in one so badly but I need to buy a bike for it.
I should get out to Milton and play on the training course for motivation!

63 Jenn April 12, 2010

So excited for you and Eric! Have been looking at the maps and think that Milton is much more closer for me rather than Woodstock….maybe I’ll just do both!
The swim can be intimidating, but as alot of people have suggested, get some practice, swim towards the outside or even email the race director to request to be put in the last wave if swimming with the crush of people is something that is bothersome.
You will do awesome! Will be happily training along with you!

64 Valerie April 12, 2010

Wow that’s exciting news! The Try-A-Tri sounds awesome… one of my coworkers is actually planning to do the one at Guelph Lake with her boyfriend. And from checking out the Subaru site, they have a triathlon in my hometown (Orillia). Crazy how I never knew about it until now! I guess it makes sense with the lake being right there though!

That’s great that you’ll be able to train together! My bf & I have kind of opposite interests for sports/outdoor activities (aside from hiking/walking). But who knows? Maybe we’ll find something out of the blue!

65 Lindsay April 12, 2010

I was a lifeguard for 6 years, I’m a pretty strong swimmer, but way out of practice. How exciting for the two of you! Fascinating to think of where you might be together health/fitness wise in 10 years with all this moving and shaking it up. Oh, and get some teak wood oil at the home improvement store. It’ll help your table.

66 Heather (Where's the Beach) April 12, 2010

Congrats on the tri! My hubby has really gotten into them. He started a master’s swim class even and totally rocks the swims now. I am not a strong enough swimmer to ever dream of doing a tri!!

67 Brittany April 12, 2010

It’s embarrassing, but, for me…it’s not the swimming part that scares me, it’s the biking! I did not learn how to ride a bike until I was almost 12, and even after learning, it was a skill I hardly used! I would really like to do a triathlon in the near future, but it would take some serious bike training.

That’s great that both you and your husband can train together for this! Good luck to you both.

68 Claudia April 12, 2010

Hi!

Let me start off by saying I love your site – I have just recently discovered it through searching for an economical hummus recipe, and have been following along ever since! Your adventures have been very inspiring!

I also just had to post today, because my husband and I are also going to try our first “try a tri” (in Ottawa) this spring too! We both kinda run and kinda bike already (I run and bike, my hubbie plays lots of soccer so is just generally fit without having to try extra hard… grrr, hehe). As for swimming, we both used to swim – me in high school as part of the school team, him as a lifeguard – but it’s been awhile, so we’ll have to train a bit extra there. Swimming in lakes themselves don’t scare me, but it’s the swimming with tons of other people that freaks me out a bit. But, to encourage you too – with a try a tri, everyone will be in as a newbie, so it probably (hopefully!) won’t be that crazy!

Anyway, I’m excited for you, and looking forward to hearing your adventures in getting ready for the race!

69 Jamie @ Tearaveler April 12, 2010

I’ve always wanted to do a triathlon!!! Two of my friends and I are doing a relay one – I have the running part – in two weeks! I really want to do one by myself… but I don’t think I’d survive the swim part by doggie paddling across a lake =S. I passed “bubbles” (level 1) way back when and never really learned how to swim, even though I grew up going to the lake every weekend!

70 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 12, 2010

Sounds like a great adventure and nice goal for you guys. Good luck!

71 Shayna April 12, 2010

Haha – we have the same table from Ikea and it looks just like yours. I just tell myself that the weathered look is in!
I’ve been thinking of doing that try a tri for a year now but have been afraid because I feel I don’t have enough time to train properly for it. You may have just inspired me to sign up. Maybe I can also convince my husband to sign up with me.

72 kalli@fitandfortysomething April 12, 2010

oh that is exciting! what an adventure to embark on together! i love tris……you should do it :)

73 Salah@myhealthiestlifestyl April 12, 2010

I would love to participate in a triathlon, but I am just not a good swimmer, and I’d much rather train for something else like sand vb or something along those lines. I really enjoy plyo training and sprints and stuff like that.

74 Rachel April 12, 2010

I went and watched my first triathlon this weekend. It was so much fun to watch and my friend did awesome. He’s doing the one in Alcatrez in a couple of weeks which is supposed to be a really tough race. One of his friend’s did the beginner’s triathlon and was pumped to do more. I think you guys will have a blast.

75 Tami April 12, 2010

after suffering from running injuries and having to listen to my workout friends talking about triathlons all the time, I am jumping in with two feet! 3 months ago I could not swim from one end of the pool to the other and after taking swimming lessons, I can now swim 12 consecutive laps, my biking is coming along as well. I am signed up for 2 sprint triathlons and I am thinking of doing an Olympic distance later in the fall. i think you will love the cross training!

you guys could benefit from swim lessons

76 Jen April 12, 2010

I’m currently training for my first Ironman. I started doing Tris 2 years ago and haven’t looked back since then! Honestly, swimming in a lake during a tri is nothing like real swimming. It’s more like surviving and moving your arms in the general direction of the finish line. If there are waves or a lot of people, you can’t get into a good swimming rhythm. The key is to get a solid understanding of the strokes (free and breast) so you feel comfortable with them. I’d suggest getting someone to coach you both a couple of times just to make sure your swim strokes are decent. Then, it’s just a matter of feeling confident in the water with 50 sets of legs and arms hitting you in the face. It sounds like you both already do some lake swimming so that will be a HUGE advantage. GOOD LUCK and I think it’s AWESOME that you’ll be training together. So much fun!!!

77 Janna April 12, 2010

So Exciting!!!!!!!!

I;m actually a fairly good swimmer (have my bronze medallion) and cycler… but I’ve always been way too scared to sign up for a tri.

One day.. maybe ;)

78 Saffity April 12, 2010

I personally have a fear of open water. I will swim in a pool and play near the shore of a lake, but I’m not partial to swimming in deep open water.

When I was a child I went to a small lake to swim and I was pulled under by another child who had gone into the deep area and panicked. Luckily nothing bad happened from it, but it is a fear I’m trying to get over.

As far as swimming ability goes, I’m ok, but I’m not a very strong swimmer.

I’m currently training to see if I can do a 5 k this year, but I have to be careful because I’ve had surgery on my knee when I was younger and I don’t want to over work it. I would LOVE to be able to do a triathalon, I’m just not sure how realistic it is for me.

79 gina (fitnessista) April 12, 2010

that is so awesome!! i love running 5k’s with my hubby so i can’t imagine how fun a tri would be. alas, i can’t swim.. or ride a bike. so i’m outta luck ;)
xoxo

80 Jil April 12, 2010

Aww, how great!! I’m a fairly good swimmer – and I def have a swimmer’s build…pools/shallow, clear water…I’m good to go – but deep, dark water…no way in hell. haha

81 Allison @ Food For Healing April 12, 2010

Right on, Training for a triathalon together would be a great thing to do!
I can’t swim, i sink like a rock haha
I do plan to do a 10k this year, not sure if my significant other is going to participate with me or not, he’s talked about it however.

Way to go Eric!

82 Nancy April 12, 2010

I’ll probably be too shy to say hello if I spot you – but I’m 100% sure my Boyfriend is racing in that tri. I go to all of his races.

Way to go, you two.

83 Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary April 12, 2010

How exciting! I love training/ excersizing with my husband… Such a great bonding experiece.

84 Emmanuelle April 12, 2010

How awesome, I can’t wait to read about your training!

I am a bad swimmer, I love water but I am afraid of emptiness beneath my feet. I intend to tackle this fear soon and go to a swimming pool at least :-)

85 Julie Boyer April 12, 2010

Hi Angela,
As you might have guessed from my blog, I have lots of advice on triathlon. First, congrats on making the decision to do your first. I only have one quick suggestion for now – if the wetsuits at Costco are not for swimming, don’t spend the money. You’re better off renting a wetsuit for the same price, that is made for triathlon. You are welcome to give me a call anytime for a chat about getting started in triathlon.
Julie

86 Jen April 12, 2010

That’s great advice!

87 Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries April 12, 2010

This is so exciting!!! Congrats on your decision! This will be great for you guys. Can’t wait to read all about the training!

I am an AWFUL swimmer and can’t imagine training for such an event!

88 Keri April 12, 2010

Clearly you are such a good influence on your hubby!

Some coworkers tried to get me to train for a triathalon with them, but I don’t own a bike, and I am a HORRIBLE swimmer. All I can say for myself is I am unlikely to drown in a pool or lake or shallow ocean, but I cannot actually SWIM more than like 2 pool lengths. I love racing, but I plan to stay on terra firma.

89 Jacquie April 12, 2010

Awww you two are so cute! I think doing it together is going to make it so special and also help with those rough training days :)

I haven’t done a race where there’s an open swim component (maybe because I haven’t even done a race at all- hehe!), but I do consider myself a good swimmer. I was born in Florida so I’ve known how to swim since I was 2 and loved the ocean so I don’t think I’d have a problem with it.

90 Kris April 12, 2010

WOW! I know what you will be doing on my birthday! :)

I miss spring weather. I woke up to snow! @#$%^&U(*I&^%$#$%

91 Carolyn @ lovinlosing April 12, 2010

I’ve been considering doing a triathlon, but since I need to learn proper swim form and buy a bike it’s more of a long-term goal. We have a sports store here that hosts a triathlon club which has a program specifically for beginners so I’m going to look into that.

92 Erica April 12, 2010

That’s great news! I wish I could get my significant other to be motivated about a race. I would love to participate in a triathlon. It’s on my to do list. I have a strong swimming background so I am anxious to put it to use! Good luck to the two of you as you start training!

93 Lizz (Leading the Good Life) April 12, 2010

Very exciting! My girlfriend mentioned wanting to do a tri ‘someday’ in passing…I’m planning on bringing it up again soon because I found a small one in our area that I think we could manage!

I definitely do NOT consider myself a strong swimmer. Luckily we had to take swimming lessons when we were younger (thanks, Mom!), however I have only swum a handful of times in my adult life. Now is as good of time as any to try my hand at it, though!

94 Carbzilla April 12, 2010

OMGosh – that’s so exciting and very SOON! We were going to do a Try a Tri here, but with school there was just not going to be any time to train. I’m so excited for you guys.

Just got back from Costco myself. Had your spinach experience with the frozen berry mix. I might have to have a frozen berry party to use up the 6 bags I now have!

PS. Our Costco had awesome single kayaks for only $330 (or something like that). Verrrrry tempting!

95 Grace aka Triathlonbabe April 12, 2010

I consider myself an average swimmer and I did have a fear of swimming in deeper open water, not anymore.

OMG, I am so excited you two have decided to delve into the triathlon world…just a word of warning…you will get hooked. How fun for you two to do this together. I’d love my hubby to do one with me as well, but he can’t get past the swim part or the running (like Eric he does not like running…retired from Army and hated it then). I did my first, what we call in the states, sprint triathlon (300m swim, 14 mile bike, 5k run) back in August of 2006 and have done several distances, open water, pool, backwards (run/bike/swim), etc. I started out as a runner and am still passionate about running, however, triathlon is my 2nd passion. My dream is to do a half ironman some day, I’ve done several sprints and an Olympic distance aka International distance. I’ve swam in lakes, pools and the ocean. Believe it or not, I was like Eric in that I wasn’t much of a competitive swimmer. I knew how to swim but not competitively just mainly for fun. So I searched around the Dallas area and found what is called a Masters Swim program, don’t let the name fool you, it’s a swim program for any level. Don’t know if Canada has anything like that but both of you could check into a local swim class at the Y or recreation center. Also, check out, http://www.swimplan.com, it’s a great swim website where you can create your own swim workouts from beginners, on for free. As you can see, I love triathlon and there are so many websites out there to help you along, http://www.beginnertriathlete.com, is a great one to get started with. One more little tidbit about triathlon, if you get to do your first when the water is at a temp that makes it wetsuit legal, just remember, not only does it make you more buoyant, but saltwater is buoyant as well, so the fright of sinking should be minimal. :) Pretty soon, you won’t worry so much about the funny little creatures below you because you’ll be so concerned about finishing the swim…teehee! You guys might even try a duathlon at first, which is a run/bike/run, my hubby and I did a couple of those together as a relay, where I did the run, he did the bike and then I did the run….fun stuff!

Another newfound love 2 years ago and counting, mountain biking aka MTB, is one thing me and DH love to do as well! It’s quite a challenge on some of the trails but it’s so much fun and adventurous at the same time. I think you and Eric are a younger version of me and my DH…LOL in some aspects. :)

Okay, so have I said enough, I think so….sorry for writing a novel, but it’s obvious where my loves lies, next to my DH…lol! Please keep us posted!

96 Fae April 12, 2010

Wow, that is exciting news!!!!!

I was hoping to run my first 5k late May or June, but due to some shin pain I don’t think I will be ready. However, this try a tri you mention had kind of got me thinking….

I could still run a race without pushing it too hard and the swimming and biking would be great cross training to get me in better shape. I also took swimming lessons as a child, but haven’t in about 15 years or so!! The swimming would definitely be the most challenging and SCARY part, especially being in open water!!!!! Eeeeee

I’m off to go check out the Subaru site. Thanks!!!

97 Shalyn April 12, 2010

YAYY!! We are doing the same!! We are both runners, cyclists BUT my husband was not a swimmer at all.

Well last year, he bought a swim pass and started swimming daily laps at the local pool. He had 1 swim lesson (private) where he could work the stroke..and within a few weeks he was on fire! Well, not on fire literally BUT he really picked up and was swimming lots, and enjoying..he is fast and will be doing a try a tri this summer in BC

98 Anna April 12, 2010

I am great at hanging out in the lake but really struggle with the proper form of the strokes like your husband Eric was saying. I want so badly to do a tri but I am first working through my fear of running races and then working up to a baby TRI. Good Luck to you guys!! Keep me updated. I would love to hear more as it will help me keep going as I gear up for my first running race! Hopefully without ending up in the fetal position from fear ;)

99 Miranda April 12, 2010

ANGELA!!! So exciting for you and your hubby! Also very exciting because I am already signed up for the try-a-tri event, however I signed up for the event in Orillia, because well I’m a chicken and felt that I needed more time to train.
I consider myself a strong swimmer, in that I could swim out to help someone who needed the help. HOWEVER race wise I do not consider myself a strong technical swimmer. I have however met with a trainer once in the pool for an hour and she gave me lots of tips and advice that I am implimenting in my swims for training.
Good luck and have fun training and competing with the hubby.

100 Allison April 12, 2010

When I started tri training, I wasn’t much of a swimmer. I was very comfortable in the water and enjoyed swimming, but I didn’t think I could swim “like a grown-up”. What I learned is that swimming has a very short learning curve- once you start, you will make progress very quickly.
I’ll be doing my second (and maybe 3rd, and 4th) tri’s this summer- it is addictive!!
Happy tri training!!

101 Rachel April 12, 2010

No, I do not consider myself a good swimmer. I can swim. But I’ve never done it athletically besides a few laps here and there.

Yes, open water sounds terrifying! I can’t be in a lake more than 5 minutes

Your post inspired me to look into tri’s in my area!!

102 Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow April 12, 2010

Go Eric GO!!! How cool is he today?!?!

My fiance and I have always wanted to do a race together. He has done a 1/2 Ironman (not really my thing!) but we are going to start with a spring or maybe an olympic for the fall.

103 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 12, 2010

oooh I am always so excited when I hear other people deciding to enter the wonderful world of triathlons! Competing in the ‘try a tri’ events are how I got into the sport and they are so fun! The best thing about triathlon – you never get bored in training because the sessions are so varied!! Can’t wait to read about your race! Triathlon empowered me so much!

104 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 12, 2010

That’s a super friendly triathlon. I’ve always wanted to do one, but they all seem to extreme for me.

I LOVE spinach smoothies! I’m making one for my sick friend tomorrow :)

105 Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 12, 2010

That is awesome and fantastic that you can do it together. It’s so soon I’m surprised, but you’ll be ready. Best of luck.

106 Chelsea April 12, 2010

I completed an Ironman on June 24, 2007. It was one of the best experiences of my life! I’m a distance person, so I’ve never done anything shorter than an Olympic distance tri BUT my husband did one similar to the one you are training for. He, like Eric, was not a swimmer. He had never had swim lessons and could basically stay afloat in the water. Thankfully, I taught swim lessons when I was in high school in college and was able to “teach” him to swim.

I would STRONGLY encourage Eric to take some lessons. Open water swimming can be intimidating even for the most accomplished pool swimmers out there. In addition to not being able to see where you’re going, you have bodies ALL over you, basically beating you up and (it feels like) trying to drown you. Swim lessons will help with that.

Lastly, the wet suits that you saw at Costco probably aren’t legal for the competition. You can’t wear a traditional wetsuit because they are too floaty and give you an “edge”. There is a millimeter restriction but I can’t remember it off the top of my head.

Good luck!!!

107 John April 12, 2010

Good luck to both of you! You are starting the smart way since he isn’t a swimmer. I’m an alright swimmer and 3 years ago I did my first triathlon. I started with the Olympic after being talked out of the Half Ironman. You’ll have fun as it’s more you against the course and your mind :-)

108 Jolene April 12, 2010

I am not a good swimmer, but I can swim enough to get by. I just don’t have a proper stroke, and I don’t like swimming with my face going in and out of the water.

My hubby is a fish though, and he competes in triathlons, etc. He is doing a half iron man in August.

109 Jennifer April 12, 2010

Yay welcome to the tri side :) Are you guys going to get road bikes?

My husband will be competing in a triathlon this Saturday at the Gold Coast (Australia). He’s been training hardcore for (it such a crazy schedule he has). I’m really excited for him and a bit envious because I can’t swim! I’ve gone to the pool with him a few times but can only do breath stroke. He’s told me to get swimming lessons but I’m a bit embarrassed. I would cope with the swimming and biking fine but not the swimming.

Yay I’m just so excited for you and Eric. You will have a ball and get hooked!

110 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010

were not getting road bikes for our first, but possibly down the road if it is something we enjoy and want to do as a hobby!

111 sally April 12, 2010

Angie
There is a TRI at Kelso.
Biking, swim, run.
Not really hard.
Might be worth looking into and it is also close to home for you.
Angie you would need straps not clips for your mountain bike, you can spran your ankle very easy with clips, you have to twist at the ankle to release.

112 Tracie @hollafoodzone April 12, 2010

Well if you DID run to Yukon you’d find they host some pretty challenging physical fitness events there as well! Congrats on the decision to try a tri!

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010

Really? Destination race perhaps??

114 Meg April 12, 2010

I love swimming, I got all my levels at summer camp…so I would say I’m pretty good.
I think it would be awesome to do a triathalon, but I’m not a great runner.
That is so exciting that you will embark on this together!!!

115 Sherry April 12, 2010

Hi Angie,
Congrats on the bars. I am going to try to pop over to the store and get a picture of them for you. Not as far for me. =) Eric doing a tri, kelso does have a tri http://www.elementracing.ca/raceinfo.php
He would be best trying the mini off road. It’s not to expensive and close to home for you.
Tell Eric to grease up his chain we will take him mountain biking. We are at Kelso or hilton falls when ever the sun is out. If he has been biking awhile he can do the harder runs with Cory and the boys. For you Angie if we are doing Kelso its best to bike but at Hilton Falls you can run and we keep meeting up or stay with you.
It would be great to have you guys come out with us. The kids would love to see you.
I will send you an email with my phone number.
Take care Congrats again.
Auntie Sherry
Xo

116 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010

Sounds like a plan..can’t wait!

117 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 12, 2010

lol– I totally thought you were going to say that you were pregnant!! :-)

But this is very exciting too!!! I’m so excited to read about your training, etc. !

118 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010

I had a feeling ;)

119 Kristin April 12, 2010

I am so excited for you guys to be doing this together! Will you be posting about Eric’s training as well?

I don’t know if I swim correctly but I swim mostly with my legs which are really strong. Once when I was swimming in Mexico and my now ex bf was sitting in a boat with some other guy. The other guy said, “Who is that girl swimming at ramming speed?” I have always been proud of that!

120 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010

Yes I will be posting about both of our training as when he trains I will likely be right beside him doing it too!

121 Britt April 12, 2010

I’ve completed several short distance triathlons and in June/09 I completed a half ironman. It was such an amazingly crazy experience. The tri community in general is such a welcoming and helpful bunch. You’ll have a fantastic time. If Eric is leery about swimming, I’d definitely suggest a few lessons. I joined a masters swimming group which was wonderful. I was a strong swimmer, but the coaches helped to tweak my technique to make me a more effective swimmer :)
I’m so excited for you! One tri and you’ll be hooked!

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010

I have a feeling with my personality I will be hooked. Eric said, ‘Don’t assume I am going to go all race crazy just because I signed up for this.’ haha. Im trying to take it one day at a time!

123 Lauren M. April 12, 2010

Your green monster is so….GREEN!!! You must have packed a ton of Popeye in there!

124 'Dee April 12, 2010

How exciting! Go Ang & Eric!!

I consider myself a decent swimmer – used to be strong but out of practice. I grew up in the ocean and lakes, so no prob with open water, but it looks like people soup in the swim portion of a tri! I’d be more afraid of someone kicking me in the noggin than of swimming in open water, LOL.

Can’t wait to follow your training together!

125 Andrea April 12, 2010

Hi!!!
I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now but never really comment… i was sooo excited though to see that you and eric want to train and compete in a triathlon!!! I did my first tri-a-try in windsor, ontario in grade 10 and was from then on hooked!! Now I train with a triathlon club at my university.
I think that you both will really love it! You will find that running and swimming and great cross training for your running. If eric is new to swimming then lessons would be a good idea i think. but once he gets the technique down and swims a few times a week he could really be ready for the race.
Open water swimming can be a lot better than swimming in the pool – you dont have to keep turning at the wall around every 25 m lol. But like someone said above, it can get pretty crowded with a bunch of people swimming so close to you.
I wish you all the best and cant wait to see how your training goes!! I’m looking forward to being done exams in the next few weeks and can really focus on my training! The MultiSprort Canada Triathlon Series also has great races!
-Andrea

126 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010

Thanks so much for your tips and encouragement! :) Im excited :)

127 Shannon April 12, 2010

YAY!!!!! so awesome :) i was in the same boat when i wanted to do a tri… well, i ran, but didn’t swim at all! the first time i got in the pool i couldn’t swim the whole length of the pool. I’d definitely try swimming in a lake or other form of open water, the more you do it the more comfortable you’ll feel when it comes time for the event! let me know if you have any more questions :)

128 Christie April 12, 2010

I am super excited about this announcement because I actually just decided Saturday that I want to do a tri near my home. Still trying to convince my husband — he’s afraid of lake swimming…

129 Angela@MissChubbyHubby.com April 12, 2010

Ever since I started running I’ve wanted to train for a triathlon, but something keeps holding me back. I love running, I have been a swimmer all my life and I’m okay on the bike (as long as it isn’t in the gym). Like you’re husband I struggle with overly competitive sports, but more because I don’t want to lose. I also am afraid I can’t cut it, my current roommate is a serious triathlete and he trains every single day. I have never competed in a race but I just signed up for my first 10K. Once I have that under my belt maybe I’ll explore bigger and better things :)

130 Rika April 12, 2010

This brought a smile to my face :) so happy for both of you’s!

131 Amanda April 13, 2010

That is so awesome!!! Go Ange and Eric!!!

132 Susan April 13, 2010

The Try a Tri distance is totally doable!!! I did a sprint tri (first and only) last summer. It was a lot of work, even though the individual distances are short. The open water swim was the worst part. My advice is to get LOTS of practice swimming in lakes, and it won’t feel like such a shock. Maybe get Eric to swim over top of you a few times, as people will actually do that during the race too :P

133 Diana @ frontyardfoodie April 13, 2010

I consider myself a good swimmer just because I swam competitively all throughout highschool. I got into running more after that though but now that I’m pregnant I definitely will be doing more swimming once running gets to be too much with my belly! Hopefully that day doesn’t come too soon.

134 Amy @ Everything is Homemade April 13, 2010

I’m a little late and didn’t read through all the comments above, but I just wanted to say definitely plant a veggie garden if you can! It’s so rewarding to grow your own food. I started my garden two years ago and I love it! There’s nothing like walking out your back door to get stuff for dinner. It’s the best!

135 Katherine @ Lipgloss and Spandex April 14, 2010

Yay for you and Eric! I’m too chicken to try a Tri. I don’t like swimming in open water, especially when I might get kicked in the face or something. And I haven’t ridden a bike since I was a kid (and I’m totally okay with that!) My friends are trying to talk me into a sprint tri though… and you can donate money to charity and start a little earlier than everyone else (read: not get kicked in the face).

136 Dominique April 19, 2010

It’s awesome that you and Eric have something to train together for and participate in. I think it’s great that you both have each other to support during the training for the triathlon.

And it’s at Kelso conversation area? My BF grew up in Milton (moved from Quebec) and a couple summers ago he took me there and we had a fantastic day hiking and then visiting the area he grew up in. You’re so lucky you live in the area…the scenery was gorgeous!

137 J @ If You Lived Here You'd Be Home Now April 19, 2010

That is so exciting. I was you just a year ago…trying my first tri…..then….month after month I did one! Now I am addicted and am in it for season two.

Mind you- I am not the best runner, biker or swimmer- I simply do them to finish and have finished every one!

Open water swims can be scary but as I was first starting I was told always to swim buoy to buoy. It really does the trick. You just head for that one mark and you can even tap it if you need. As for the getting kicked part- just stay to the side or back for your first one at the start and that won’t be a huge problem.

Good luck- but honestly once you do one you certainly will be hooked.