My Breakfast Story

HAPPY FRIDAY!

My muscles have been feeling a bit tight this week! It is no doubt due to being back to work baking + hunching at my desk! I tell you, I didn’t have one twinge of muscle pain while on vacation, even with all the running I did! I think Florida is good for the body… ;)

I decided to start my morning off with 20 minutes of Yoga Sculpt #1 over at yogadownload. I definitely worked up a sweat by the end. I capped it off with 10 minutes of Yoga for Runner’s. I felt so good, if someone would have offered me a free massage I would have passed them by! hehe…not really, but I did feel really good!

This morning I had one thing on my mind after yoga…KEEN-WAAAH.

IMG 3957 thumb   My Breakfast Story

PB, J, & B Breakfast Quinoa

Ingredients:

Into the pot goes…

• 1/3 cup quinoa
  • 2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons almond milk
  • 1 mashed, ripe banana
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of cinnamon (optional)
  • pinch of sea salt (optional)

Directions: Stir together above ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and stir frequently for about 8-10 minutes being careful not to burn. If it dries out, add a bit more milk. Pour into a bowl and add toppings!

My toppings:

• Crave Glo Bar (Peanut butter, cacao nibs, and cherry)
  • Strawberry jam
  • 1 tablespoon roasted peanut butter

IMG 3977 thumb   My Breakfast Story

I used half a Crave Glo Bar on top.

IMG 3970 thumb   My Breakfast Story

I forgot about the jam in the back of the fridge! I love jam!

IMG 3978 thumb   My Breakfast Story

On the spoon: Organic strawberry jam, peanut butter, Crave Glo Bar + quinoa mix!

IMG 3990 thumb   My Breakfast Story

A great start to Friday!

IMG 3983 thumb   My Breakfast Story

I like to spread the goodness all around!

IMG 3998 thumb   My Breakfast Story

I should be good for a solid 4 hours on this.

While I enjoyed this bowl a lot, I still prefer the Vegan overnight oats- and I admit I was kind of wishing I had those instead of this! Total…BREAKFAST ENVY! :mrgreen:

My breakfast story:

My breakfasts used to be a sad sight. When I was struggling with disordered eating, I would have the same tiny breakfast day in and day out. I remember being just 12 years old (that is when my struggle with food really took hold) and only allowing myself half of a packet of instant oatmeal. Sadly, my approach to breakfast didn’t improve throughout my teenage years when I would often have just 1 apple for breakfast. I was hungry all morning and never had any energy. I never thought that I deserved a balanced and hearty breakfast like other people did.

Then I started reading food blogs a few years ago. I saw other people eating delicious breakfasts each morning and something inside me started to change. I started to think that I was worthy of a filling and energizing breakfast too. I started experimenting with green monsters, oatmeal, pancakes, cereals, and I fell in love with healthy breakfasts and how they make me feel…energized and full of energy for the day’s tasks. I also realized that I didn’t gain weight by eating a big breakfast which was something I always feared previously.

Some of my favourite breakfast foods now include: Healthy Spelt Pancakes For One, Peanut Butter Banana Bomb Muffins, green monsters, Creamy PB + J Oatmeal Parfait, Energize Me Creamy Fruit Dip, Glowing Sunshine Juice, and Healthy Peanut Butter Coconut Swirl Pancakes.

Breakfast is FUN for me now…it took a long time to get here, but it was worth the fight!

Today’s question- Do you approach breakfast differently than you used to? How so? What did you used to eat for breakfast 5-10 years ago and what do you have now? Are you inspired by blogs to change up your breakfasts?

Jenny April 9, 2010

I used to be the same- I think a lot of us used to eat baby breakfasts! Oatmeal and pb is now a staple foe me:)

Emmanuelle April 9, 2010

Yum, love this breakfast!
I’ve always had breakfast, no matter what. My mum was adamant my brother and I got to school on a full stomach, it was usually chocolate cereal and milk, and freshly pressed orange juice (thanks mum by the way!). My body is used to having breakfast in the morning, I wake up hungry, and I think breakfast is my favourite meal ;-)

Even when I was struggling with bingeing, 10 years ago, breakfast was never an issue, and strangely enough I have had in general healthy breakfasts since university. My breakfasts have evolved over the years though, especially since I started reading food blogs, and I have to point out more specifically North American food blogs. I mean, PB&J toast in continental Europe??? No way!
I also vary a lot more my breakfasts, because there are so many new things I want to try! When I have the time I prepare banana oatmeal (for myself – my boyfriend is not willing to try!), I can have toasts with strange things on them like coconut butter and jam, or Tofutti Cream Cheese with slices of banana and pecans, tapioca pudding with vanilla soy milk, etc etc, things my family or friends would find utterly weird :-D Oh, and always a big cup of tea!

Christine April 9, 2010

I feel the same way as you do about the inspiration from food blogs to change my way of thinking about breakfast and food in general! I remember only allowing myself one slice of low cal wheat bread + spray butter for breakfast. No wonder all I thought about was food-I was running on empty and tasteless food with no nutrients!
Thank you to food blogs for being free therapy!!

::christine:: April 9, 2010

I’ve always loved breakfast food – I like breakfast for dinner but blogs most certainly give me inspiration try try new foods. I eat VitaMuffin Tops a lot for breakfast & oatmeal. Ooo..but I love cream of wheat or farina too ~

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 9, 2010

That’s so funny. I made a post about something very similar to this just seconds ago!

For the past few years I’ve had the same breakfast every morning because I deemed it to be a “safe” breakfast that fit within my daily caloric limit. And even since working on getting over disordered eating, I’ve stuck with the same breakfast because it is just so yummy.

But I really want to break out of my rut and try some new things. Can’t wait to try some of your suggestions! :)

Kate April 9, 2010

Oh my gosh absolutely! I used to eat cereal and fruit and wonder why an hour later I’d be ravenous!!! It used to be more for “losing weight” or “keeping weight off”. Now I eat more substantial breakfasts with protein, carbs and fat, as well as changing it up often! I love whole wheat bagels with cream cheese and lox, toast with peanut butter and bananas, or egg and cheese sammies. :) And I’m not hungry until lunch! :)

Keen-waaah! how cute! I love it!

Mae April 9, 2010

About 3 yrs ago, I used to eat 1 cup (seriously one entire cup of dry) rolled oats, cooked with 3 cups of water. I would skip lunch and then go to running practice and convinced myself that the oatmeal was still firing. I’ve always been a breakfast person but while I still had a few food fears I started adding 1 tsp of nut butter to my oatmeal…. hahaha that quickly built up to and unmeasured ~2 tbsp!!
I always come to OhSheGlows for creative breakfast ideas- I get into an oat rut sometimes!!

Jessica @ How Sweet April 9, 2010

I have always been a breakfast person! I got into fitness around 15-16 (sure, before that I was eatin poptarts…lol) but ever since then I have made sure to have a fun interesting breakfast. It really set’s the tone for my day.

One of my favorite breakfast/snacks right now is millet bread with goat cheese, figs and honey – amazing!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 9, 2010

Oh my gosh.. that sounds heavenly!!!

Noelle April 9, 2010

Ugh, the single packet of oatmeal gives me flashbacks to my college days. I remember feeling guilty after 1 didn’t fill me up! I would also sometimes eat a half of a banana for “breakfast.” I don’t know how I functioned! I don’t think I ever started to feel fully comfortable eating real meals until I started reading food blogs.

I was also terrified of anything with fat so deprived myself of delicious things that I have daily now- like avocados and nut butters.

Btw the quinoa looks delish. I keep burning mine (old stove).

Kelly April 9, 2010

I never ever ate breakfast until I graduated college and started working a full time job. Now I eat every morning.

Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES April 9, 2010

YES–SO, SO differently. Though my reasons were never rooted in disordered eating, I was always a breakfast skipper. I’ve just never woken up hungry (except today–and now i have a hankering for kkeeeeeeeeeeeen waaaa, too!). In college, I started eating a yogurt for bfast. (CANNOT imagine doing that now!) But, like you, after discovering food blogs–I discovered the BRILLIANCE of breakfast. Now I’m in love with BIIIG, filling, nutritious bfasts because, really, why miss an opportunity to give your body some beneficial deliciousness?

Ameena April 9, 2010

I never used to eat breakfast either…it was maybe a piece of toast and orange juice if I was lucky. Now I wake up starving and excited for breakfast every morning.

Lisa April 9, 2010

I honestly can’t remember eating breakfast when I was younger…not out of fear of gaining weight, but because I would wake up late and would have to rush out of the house.

I actually ALWAYS wake up one hour earlier than I need to, just so I can have a nice relaxing morning and eat a delicious breakfast. My favourite is a big bowl of Nature’s Path cereal with light soy milk, blueberries, and sometimes other fruits. I also have a cup (or two :)) of coffee.

BUT, this morning, since I’ve been reading different health blogs, I made a smoothie…not really a green monster, because it was, well, purple, but it was the same idea. Put some blueberries, banana, wheat grass, rice milk, soy yogurt….let’s see if this keeps me as full as the cereal does!!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 9, 2010

In high school and most of college, I never ate breakfast or grabbed a Luna Bar on the way out the door. I wasn’t even hungry in the mornings. Since I started eating a GOOD breakfast, not only has my weight dropped and energy increased, I wake up SO exciting to eat in the morning.

brandi April 9, 2010

My breakfasts are TOTALLY different than what I would have in high school and early on in college. I LOVE having big, filling breakfasts now and can’t start my day in any other way!

I used to just have a glass of milk or something junky from the vending machine at school.

Now I have either a big bowl of oatmeal, a great and filling smoothie, or homemade pancakes :)

PS – I made an AWESOME green smoothie this morning with cocoa, cherries, and coconut! Yum.

Kristen April 9, 2010

I didn’t eat breakfast all through university. It wasn’t until I started working that I realized I couldn’t concentrate if I didn’t eat breakfast. Now I wake up hungry and can’t wait to eat!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 9, 2010

I’ve always been a big breakfast eater. Back in high school I’d wake up early enough to have a bowl of cereal before leaving. Now, during the week, I stick to oats mostly and I’m always starving about 30 min after I wake up. I’ve never had quinoa as a sweet breakfast dish, but it looks really good.

Laura April 9, 2010

For years -through most of high school and probably university too – I didn’t eat breakfast at all. Maybe a granola bar. It wasn’t because I was worried about my weight but because I just didn’t feel hungry in the mornings. When I started working full time cereal was my go-to breakfast, but I’ve recently started to focus on more protein rich breakfasts – I find most cereal just makes me crave carbs and sugar for the rest of the day. Breakfast now is usually PBJ (well, actually ABJ) oatmeal, sometimes a green monster, occasionally whole wheat toast with PB and fruit. I’m looking forward to trying overnight oats!

Abri April 9, 2010

I totally need to get out of my breakfast rut. I used to just inhale sugary cereal and other crud that wasn’t good for me – then I started to get healthy, but wen’t the opposite direction with breakfast. Your posts have inspired me to make some changes, and I’m excited to try these recipes! Thanks!!

Also – I am commenting to let you know that I have an award for you on my blog!! I love your blog and I wanted you to know that you are an inspiration to me!

Hope you have a great day! <3

Rachel (Suburban Yogini) April 9, 2010

I was insanely lucky that I had a super healthy mum who drummed it into me at an early age how important breakfast was. As kids we were not allowed to leave the house until we had something to eat. I grew up eating oatmeal or eggs or muesli and fruit for breakfast every day and the habit stuck right through college and everything. Very grateful to Ma Yogini for that.

Thanks to you I have a Green Monster most mornings as well which keeps me going strong. I’ve been singing the praises of green monsters over on my blog and as you saw on Twitter yesterday, there are new converts!

And this weekend I am going to try your vegan overnight oats. Yay for food blogs!!!

Amanda April 9, 2010

In high school I usually ate something on the go, but remember having a “snack time” midmorning with a granola bar stash in my locker. Disordered eating set in during college, when I started having a nonfat yogurt with half of a banana. This was supposed to last me from 730 until 12, and I remember being starving around 10 :( Thank god I’ve wisened up!

Danielle (Coffee Run) April 9, 2010

When I was a kid, breakfast usually consisted of a bowl of sugary cereal + milk. I would always be starvinggg by the time lunch rolled around (in school, we weren’t allowed to eat in class!)

A few years ago, I was going through my crazy “I want to be healthy” phase and I’d have a 100-calorie pack of instant oatmeal in the morning. Craziness

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 9, 2010

In high school I would go from the time I woke up until the time I got home from school without eating ANYTHING.

Needless to say, I was obese.

Midgetkeeper April 9, 2010

I used to never eat breakfasts, because I was never hungry in the mornings. Once I started trying to lose weight and cut my dinner portions down I started eating breakfast, because I woke up hungry.

Blogs have inspired me to “beef” up my breakfasts and it’s awesome.

Mandy@OneHungryMess April 9, 2010

I would never have thought to have quinoa for breakfast! Awesome.

Big breakfasts in the morning tend to make me very tired, so I start out with coffee and a piece of fruit, but I always have a midmorning snack, which has been green monsters lately(thankyou!) I find it easier to space out my food to keep my energy stable.

I cannot wait to try those overnight oats though, count me in! :)

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow April 9, 2010

First off…I have to take a moment and acknowledge the quinoa breakfast. I heart quinoa and could have it at every single meal! And my fiance is obsessed. Every night he begs begs begs for quinoa. It’s so cute!

Oh hun I can totally relate to the breakfast deprivation club. I was so horrible to my body up until a few years back. If I could skip breakfast I always would and when I did sit down to eat- slim pickings! I remember convincing myself that 1 fat free scary eggo waffle was plenty to hold me over until dinner. Oh the lessons learned!!

Now I have a breakfast of champions every morning! Currently I’m drinking a chocolate-cherry-banana-green monster. Oh my gosh is it perfect!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 9, 2010

I’ve actually always eaten a HUGE breakfast, but when I was younger that would mean 3-4 bowls of sugar cereal….not the healthiest! Now I eat only high fiber/high protein cereals during the week and green monsters/oatmeal on the weekend. I just LOVE breakfast!

Nikki T April 9, 2010

Your blog inspired me yesterday (as it often does!) to make Vegan Overnight Oats…I’m eating them right now (Toppings= peanut butter, hemp hearts and berries) and I’m LOVING it!!

I never really used to pay attention to breakfast when I was in junior high and high school…not for the worry of gaining weight, but mostly out of pure laziness. Sometimes I’d have a simple bowl of cereal or a piece of toast with PB or jam, but I’m finding that now that I eat a more filling and healthy b-fast I’m full for hours and I don’t aimlessly snack at my desk all day!

It’s really a wonderful feeling :)

I can’t wait for your other V.O.N.O creations!

:) Nikki

Kristy R. April 9, 2010

I have always had a hard time with breakfast because I’m rarely in the mood for “typical” breakfast items. I like lunch-ey foods better. However, since I’ve started to read blogs, I have been experimenting with various breakfast foods and am loving it! :)
Thanks for the great recipes!
Do you start with raw quinoa or do you pre-cook it before it goes into the pot with the other ingredients?

Molly (Fuel Her Up) April 9, 2010

My old breakfast would be a cup of Cheerios, a half cup of soymilk, and a piece of fruit, and then I wouldn’t eat for another 5 or 6 hours. Ugh. So glad I’ve moved onward!!!

Lizzie April 9, 2010

Breakfast is really my most fave meal of the day. I get up early, so I can make something good, catch up on emails, news etc, and just have some quiet time. Breakfast was always eaten as a family growing up and it while it wasn’t like some of the fabulous stuff OSG is whipping up :), it was healthy options (fruit, juice, multigrain toast, boiled eggs, porridge etc). I truly credit my mum for making me appreciate the important of a good and filling nutritious breakfast (it warmed my heart to read how you felt you deserved a hearty breakfast, Angela). I still can’t understand how anyone can eat a donut for breakfast!

Sarah April 9, 2010

My breakfast is completely different now than it was in High School/College. Most mornings it was pop tarts or eggos, and then a Coke and a Cookie/Muffin in homeroom. It kinda grosses me out thinking about it now, so much sugar and empty calories!!

Now my breakfast usually consists of a Green Monster, oatmeal, or a mix of cereal/yogurt/fruit (annnd a few chocolate chips!). I’m currently experimenting as to what keeps me fullest longest, because I always end up starving at 10am!!

Estela @ Weekly Bite April 9, 2010

I’ve never restricted myself for breakfast. I do get into ruts where I can eat the same thing day in and day out… then I’ll change it up.

Jordan April 9, 2010

The quinoa looks yum! I’ve always eaten breakfast, because I get light-headed/nauseous/cranky. However, growing up it was cereal or Pop Tarts. Up until recently I would still grab a Pop Tart or sugary breakfast bar to. Yuck. Now I eat a balanced meal that lasts until lunch time. I feel SO much better!

Lauren (Health on the Run) April 9, 2010

Angela — I love your blog and all your awesome vegan eats…as well as your creative breakfasts. I still haven’t been able to take the plunge and try quinoa in the morning (I can’t get over the fact that to me, it’s a DINNER food haha), but your bfast bowls of it always look so good!

I’ve always loved breakfast. I often go to bed looking forward to breakfast and am hungry almost the second I wake up. I never understand how people can roll out of bed and run out the door without eating — I’d rather get up earlier so that I have time to fill up! However, I went through a phase where I was living in an apartment with 5 other women — all who ate teeny tiny bowls of cereal for breakfast every morning. I started feeling pretty bad about my huge bowls of oats, granola, etc and began to cut back for awhile. But I think in the end this just backfired — I was so hungry during the morning that I ended up eating more! I’ve loved reading blogs and seeing these amazing FULL, healthy breakfasts everyone eats! It’s definitely rekindled my love of oatmeal and made me realize that eating a good breakfast is NOT going to make me gain weight.

Tracey @ TropicalHappiness April 9, 2010

I have always eaten breakfast. I love breakfast. I try to make it as healthy as possible- usually a smoothie, or eggs or something else delicious! I always try to make enough time in the morning before work to prepare a balanced breakfast.

cassie April 9, 2010

my breakfast habit 5-10 years ago was awful, particularly in college and a few years after college. I used to have a lot of sugary cereals which i have since eliminated from my diet now.. i also use to skip breakfast, which i real was so bad for me when i was trying to lose weight.. within the past few years, i have definitely started experimenting more.. i have to say, i have received a lot of inspiration from various blogs (including yours thank you for Green Monster) on different breakfast options.. i now experiment a lot more with oatmeal, i used to just have oatmeal with bananas but not any more :-)

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle April 9, 2010

My breakfasts have definitely changed! When I was growing up, breakfast was almost always cereal. At least my mom didn’t buy the super sugary stuff! During 12th grade, I decided to go low-carb and ate eggs everyday. Then in college, I discovered the wall-of-cereal in our cafeteria and all the sugary cereals I never had as a kid! Eventually though, college breakfasts turned into a teeny tiny Special K bar, non-filling tiny bowl of cereal, or an apple. Maybe an egg & cheese on an English muffin if I was hungover. Now? My breakfasts have definitely been blog inspired! My usual weekday breakfasts are oatmeal with fruit and nuts/nut butter or veggies scrambled with eggs and wheat toast. From experience, it’s true- eating a breakfast starts the day SO well. NOT being ravenous all day makes me a much less grumpy person & less likely to eat an ice cream sundae for dinner!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 9, 2010

Breakfast has changed drastically for me over the last year. Before I started to embrace healthy living, I would have a bagel sandwich most days, or else skip breakfast all together. Since losing over 50 pounds, I have realized just how important breakfast is. Now I have a big bowl of oats or yogurt almost every day and load it up with toppings so it keeps me full for hours.

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama April 9, 2010

YUM! Your bowl looks amazing!
I love breakfast! I used to never eat breakfast, though. In high school I never ate breakfast.

Page 1 of 3123»