My Breakfast Story

HAPPY FRIDAY!

My muscles have been feeling a bit tight this week! It is no doubt due to being back to work baking + hunching at my desk! I tell you, I didn’t have one twinge of muscle pain while on vacation, even with all the running I did! I think Florida is good for the body… ;)

I decided to start my morning off with 20 minutes of Yoga Sculpt #1 over at yogadownload. I definitely worked up a sweat by the end. I capped it off with 10 minutes of Yoga for Runner’s. I felt so good, if someone would have offered me a free massage I would have passed them by! hehe…not really, but I did feel really good!

This morning I had one thing on my mind after yoga…KEEN-WAAAH.

IMG_3957

PB, J, & B Breakfast Quinoa

Ingredients:

Into the pot goes…

• 1/3 cup quinoa
  • 2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons almond milk
  • 1 mashed, ripe banana
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of cinnamon (optional)
  • pinch of sea salt (optional)

Directions: Stir together above ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and stir frequently for about 8-10 minutes being careful not to burn. If it dries out, add a bit more milk. Pour into a bowl and add toppings!

My toppings:

• Crave Glo Bar (Peanut butter, cacao nibs, and cherry)
  • Strawberry jam
  • 1 tablespoon roasted peanut butter

IMG_3977

I used half a Crave Glo Bar on top.

IMG_3970

I forgot about the jam in the back of the fridge! I love jam!

IMG_3978

On the spoon: Organic strawberry jam, peanut butter, Crave Glo Bar + quinoa mix!

IMG_3990

A great start to Friday!

IMG_3983

I like to spread the goodness all around!

IMG_3998

I should be good for a solid 4 hours on this.

While I enjoyed this bowl a lot, I still prefer the Vegan overnight oats– and I admit I was kind of wishing I had those instead of this! Total…BREAKFAST ENVY! :mrgreen:

My breakfast story:

My breakfasts used to be a sad sight. When I was struggling with disordered eating, I would have the same tiny breakfast day in and day out. I remember being just 12 years old (that is when my struggle with food really took hold) and only allowing myself half of a packet of instant oatmeal. Sadly, my approach to breakfast didn’t improve throughout my teenage years when I would often have just 1 apple for breakfast. I was hungry all morning and never had any energy. I never thought that I deserved a balanced and hearty breakfast like other people did.

Then I started reading food blogs a few years ago. I saw other people eating delicious breakfasts each morning and something inside me started to change. I started to think that I was worthy of a filling and energizing breakfast too. I started experimenting with green monsters, oatmeal, pancakes, cereals, and I fell in love with healthy breakfasts and how they make me feel…energized and full of energy for the day’s tasks. I also realized that I didn’t gain weight by eating a big breakfast which was something I always feared previously.

Some of my favourite breakfast foods now include: Healthy Spelt Pancakes For One, Peanut Butter Banana Bomb Muffins, green monsters, Creamy PB + J Oatmeal Parfait, Energize Me Creamy Fruit Dip, Glowing Sunshine Juice, and Healthy Peanut Butter Coconut Swirl Pancakes.

Breakfast is FUN for me now…it took a long time to get here, but it was worth the fight!

Today’s question- Do you approach breakfast differently than you used to? How so? What did you used to eat for breakfast 5-10 years ago and what do you have now? Are you inspired by blogs to change up your breakfasts?

Page 3 of 3«123
Dassy Levilev October 11, 2013

Hi,
I recently went on a juice fast, and It feels so amazing!! but now I want to maintain that great feeling of cleanliness throughout my gitract. Do you have any suggestion of “clean” foods that digest well etc.
Thanks in advance!

Radhika Sarohia December 6, 2012

This looks amazing
I am horrible and never wake up in time for breakfast these days
So I start with some kind of lunch stuffs and end the day with three and four AM snacks
But this quinoa thing looks great

Stina @ Girl Can April 20, 2010

For the most part I’ve always eaten something for breakfast whether is be a “real” breakfast or a granola bar and fruit on my way out the door.

The biggest change I made in my breakfast routine is getting up early enough to make (and eat) breakfast at home before heading to work.

For a while I would bring breakfast with me to work or pick something up on my way into the office (a bagel, McDonald’s, donut, etc.). This is probably what contributed most to my post-college weight gain.

Now I make breakfast before I leave the house every morning. Generally I have oatmeal in some form (hot oatmeal, over-night oats, oatmeal pancake). Occassionally I’ll have an egg sandwich or toast a waffle (I make them over the weekend, freeze them, and then pop them in the toaster during the week). I definitely do look to the blog word for inspiration when I want to mix things up some.

Jen April 11, 2010

Seven years ago, breakfast for me was a cup of black coffee. I NEVER ate breakfast. But within the past 3 years I have started eating breakfasts. I started with cereal then or whole grain toast or half a bagel with pb. When I discovered health blogs in early November of 2009 I really kicked breakfast up a notch! Oats and green monsters have become my favorite breakfasts of choice! Actually, as I type this I am eating your 3 minute breakfast carrot cake! ;)

Alisha @ Unsual Passions April 10, 2010

This recipe is like the “Creamy PB&J Oatmeal” but with quinoa! Mmmm! I love that combo…

I used to eat cereal and milk, then granola and milk, BUT then I found green monsters! I ate nothing for breakfast but GMs for a few months, until I discovered oats!

Nicole April 10, 2010

I’ve always been who needs to eat breakfast in the morning. If I don’t, I just don’t function. I’ve gotten so much better about what and how much I’m eating in the morning. :)

I completely understand the whole depriving yourself of a real breakfast thing. I remember many days during my freshman year of college the lady who ran the entrance to the dining common would look at me with concern and ask if I was eating enough. (I would dash in for a pear on the way to class, which I wouldn’t really end up eating very much of.) I thought she was worrying over nothing.

It was such a novel (and alarming) concept to me when a nutritionist told me I should have some protein in the morning. The thought of going outside my controlled food “comfort zone” was a scary concept.

It’s only been through years of growth and acceptance that I’m finally able to realize how important breakfast is, and how unfair it is to deprive myself! My breakfasts are now bigger, and balanced, and leave me feeling energized. :) You’re right, food blogs really helped me with that too! Not only did they give me ideas for fun, tasty, filling breakfasts, but they really reinforced that idea that it’s not only okay, but GOOD to give myself fuel in the morning. :)

Rosa April 10, 2010

hm… i’m not sure what face i put to make the mad emoticon… oops i’m not mad! haha

Rosa April 10, 2010

ooh~ yoga download? thanks for the site… never heard of it but sounds awesome!!! your blog rockss :x except after browsing like the entire thing (i’m crazy) i have wayyy too many food ideas! hehe

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] April 10, 2010

Breakfast is my absolute favorite meal of the day. My breakfast story is acutally similar to yours… I limited my brex to a bowl of fat free Rice Krispie cereal when I was in middle school : ( I’m so glad I’m habits have changed… and I’m happy to hear yours have to.

maria April 10, 2010

I used to just eat a small bowl of cereal with half a cup of milk for breakfast and then wonder why I was so hungry a few hours later! It wasn’t enough. It took me forever to learn that.

Jolene April 9, 2010

Blogging changed my views on breakfast. I used to loathe breakfast and would eat whatever I could choke down (usually 2 slices of raisin toast, or 2 frozen waffles). I never enjoyed eating breakfast.

Once my eyes were opened to all the possibilities (including Green Monsters!!) and toppings on oats, I began to LOVE breakfast and look forward to it each day.

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place April 9, 2010

I used to eat less in the morning, but now I totally endulge. Eating a hot, filling breakfast makes me feel great! I’m really into pancakes, french toast, and coffee. yum!!

Jil April 9, 2010

I’m a really light breakfast person…putting a ton of food in my body in the morning just doesn’t feel good – but I snack throughout the morning to makeup for it and to keep energy levels up…and by snack, of course they are (mostly) healthy haha

AGS April 9, 2010

Wow. I’m so glad you posted this. I have had some amazing changes in terms of my work in the last 8 weeks. I love what I am doing (a much deeper and more nuanced role than I held previously — so instead of working 10 hour days, I now work 12-13. . . sigh), but with that has come a huge toll on my health. My eating and exercise took a huge nose-dive, and suddenly — gasp — I can’t fit into one of my pants suits.

I have been working to figure out how to incorporate my usual exericse and diet into my new life, and pinpointed the fact that I was barely eating breakfast as probably a key reason my health wasn’t doing as well. After reading this post today, something clicked: I need to bring back my morning green monster! Thanks for reminding me of this.

Three cheers for nutrition in the morning!!

Lindsey April 9, 2010

I love reading about people’s wonderful changes for the better!!!

I still have yet to find a breakfast that will hold me over for 4 hours. Maybe I’m still too scared to make it a bit larger serving of oatmeal, or add a bit of extra frozen fruit to my smoothie, or whatnot. Hmmmm.

In high school I was one of those quick-hurry-eat-a-pop-tart-on-the-way-out-the-door kids. I preferred to sleep in! Then I developed an ED and well, breakfast went out the door…

Until recently, I always just had toast and a banana for breakfast. Thank God for healthy food bloggers! They have really inspired me to get even “more” better. ;)

Brooke April 9, 2010

Back when I was in high school my mom would not let me leave the house with out eating something for breakfast. I would have a packet of Carnation instant breakfast in less than a cup of milk. Once I was not in my parents house any longer I would not eat breakfast at all, it seemed when I ate breakfast I would get hungry for lunch (duh that is what is supposed to happen). When I would get hungry I would flip out and think I was going to gain weight just from eating a normal meal. Needless to say I developed an Eating Disorder that I have been fighting for about 12 years. I now eat breakfast EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!! Reading food blogs have been very inspiring also. To see people living happy healthy lives and enjoying a decent size meal has been great for my recovery. I do fall into the trap of pushing breakfast a little later and a little later but it comes back and bites me in the butt later and I may binge or just be out of control snacking later in the day. I have to catch myself and make it a point to sit down every morning not too long after waking up and eat so I can get out of the binge cycle.

I love reading your blog, you are so inspirational!
Congrats on getting you bars in stores. That is so AWESOME!!!!

kayla@wholesome April 9, 2010

I tried this breakfast this morning, only I had it for brunch!! I used soymilk and almond buttah, and OMG, it was so delish!! I topped it with some maple syrup, and it was so incredibly satisfying. Thanks for the idea :-)

Allison @ Food For Healing April 9, 2010

I definitely make a habit of eating breakfast now, it feels WAY better, and I also have to take pills for my sickness at every meal, so that makes me have to eat every meal throughout the day.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 9, 2010

Mmm, I love quinoa! I have never had it for breakfast, though- I should try it!!

I love breakfast, now. But I haven’t always. When I was younger, my mom would struggle to get me to eat a poptart or a toaster strudel (I kid you not) before I headed out the door for school. When I started getting healthier in high school I entered into the world of cereal, then oatmeal, smoothies, and now I love yogurt messes, the occasional egg dish, bagels with pb&j and more!! Blogs definitely inspired me to be more creative with my b-fasts!

xo
K

Lizz (Leading the Good Life) April 9, 2010

You know, I never considered that I had disordered eating when I was younger, but now I’m remembering some unfortunate things I used to do! I specifically remember a time in 8th grade (14 yrs old?) when I said I couldn’t eat before 10:00am because it made me feel sick. I don’t remember eating breakfast in high school, but I do remember times I wouldn’t eat at lunch for the attention it got me. How hungry I must have been! And how unhappy!
From grades 7-12 I was always tired in the morning and super grumpy. I prided myself for being about to stay up late to study or write – but somehow didn’t realize I was making myself miserable. Looking back, I wonder how much better I would have felt if I actually got proper sleep and ate well-balanced meals….at least I’ve figured it out now! Breakfast is often one of my biggest meals nowadays. And I LOVE being inspired by blogs to try new things for breakfast!

Ashley (whole-ier) April 9, 2010

i LOVE breakfast- have always been the type to make a huge breakfast- especially on the weekend. When I first started dating my boyfriend i told him the #1 thing he needs to know about me is that i wake up starving and HAVE to have breakfast right away.