Out With The Sundresses, In With The Apron

Back to work!!!

Boy has it been a busy one too! April is going to be a VERY exciting month for Glo Bakery. I can’t wait to tell you about all of the fun stuff going on!

I feel like I am spinning with renewed energy after vacation and I have many things I want to get done. Vacations are great for refreshing motivation and inspiring new and creative ideas. I was feeling a bit burned out in Feb and March, but I am feeling back to my old self and have lots of fun things in the works including hiring my first employee(s)!!

And nothing is more energizing than a green monster- which featured a new veggie this morning…

CARROTS! leftover from the Easter Bunny ;)

IMG 3705 thumb   Out With The Sundresses, In With The Apron

Carrot Cake Green Monster

IMG 3706 thumb   Out With The Sundresses, In With The ApronIMG 3716 thumb   Out With The Sundresses, In With The Apron

Ingredients:

• 1 cup almond milk
  • 3 handfuls spinach, raw
  • 1.5 medium carrots, peeled
  • 1 frozen ripe banana
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 3 ice cubes
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 scoop Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon nut butter (I used roasted peanut butter)

This was awesome- such a nice change having the carrots in there! They add a nice sweetness. It was a nice orange colour before I added in the Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder…wish I snapped a pic!

IMG 3715 thumb   Out With The Sundresses, In With The Apron

With Japanese Sencha…

IMG 3712 thumb   Out With The Sundresses, In With The Apron

I took a rest day off exercise yesterday to gear up for today’s MOCK 10K RACE!

I am debating running this 10k race this Sunday, so I wanted to get an idea of my pace.

The very first race I ran was a 10k race last June 2009 (Race recap 1, Race recap 2, Race recap 3). My 10k race time was 56:57 minutes on a very hilly course in wine country!

It was not only my first race but it was my official ‘comeback’ after my pelvic injury which left me sidelined from any exercise for 2 months.

This race meant the WORLD to me because I finally felt like I had triumphed over my injury and proved to myself that I could race when at one point I didn’t think I would ever run again.

I mapped my 10k route before leaving (my Polar HRM is has been broken for a few months now!), and I was off. It was extremely windy today so that was definitely working against me. The route I chose had about 3 big hills and 3 smaller hills.

I decided to run it at ALMOST race pace…aka…I ran it at about 95% of my ability level.

The 10k MOCK RACE:

• Time: 50:18
  • Avg pace: 8:06 min/mile

I slashed my previous time by almost 7 minutes!! I was shocked. It was a very difficult run due to the hills, gravel, and wind. I was panting and struggling much like in a normal race. :mrgreen: It sure made the run interesting! I really pushed hard for this run.

I ran with my Camelbak and I really liked having the water. I didn’t think I was going to bring my Camelbak on races with me since there are water stations, but now I am leaning towards bringing it. I don’t want it to weigh me down in a race, but I don’t think it would make a huge difference…

What do you guys think? Should I bring the Camelbak or not? Do you bring waterbelts or camelbaks with you to races or do you just use the water stations?

Happy Birthday to my best friend Allison!! :mrgreen:

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 5, 2010

i don’t race, but i would say that since you run comfortably with the camelback you should bring it! plus you can store a small snack or something in there for when you get hungry :)

way to go on breaking your time…that’s amazing! i’m so impressed :)

Jessica @ How Sweet April 5, 2010

Carrot cake green monster sounds divine! Not a runner, can’t really help with the CamelBak issue, but I have one for biking and I do love it – just feels so light.

Great job on breaking your time!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad April 5, 2010

Wow, you are speedy! I’ve never worn a camelback during a race. I think the general rule is that you shouldn’t wear them for anything 10k or shorter. But the weather should probably have a huge impact on your decision.

Heather (Where's the Beach) April 5, 2010

Good job girl!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 5, 2010

Congrats!! That is such a fast pace! My goal was to finish in under an hour at my last 10k, and I finished in 60min1sec. Next time!!

I say bring the Camelback if you like to have water while you go. I try to stay really hydrated all the time so don’t drink any water during my runs, just before and after, but whatever you’re comfortable with.

janetha April 5, 2010

angela! it is like you read my mind. i was just wondering about a good carrot cake smoothie.. because i made carrot cake yesterday and decided it totally needed to be re-created in smoothie form! thanks for this recipe. great job on the run!!

Estela @ Weekly Bite April 5, 2010

Love the carrot green monster!!!

If it very hot out… I would run with water… You might want to check to see if the race has water stations throughout course. That could solve your problem :)

Runeatrepeat April 5, 2010

Great race!!! I vote to bring the camel back too.

Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 5, 2010

That is so fast! I have my first 10k this weekend and I’m nervous :-/

I am thinking about getting a camelbak….seems like it would be so great for summer!

Ameena April 5, 2010

I’m not a racer but I imagine it would be easier if you use the water stations instead of lugging something around that may slow you down?

Carla April 5, 2010

I just ordered a camelbak! I think I am going to use it for races, considering I’ll know where the water came from, can drink as much of it as I want AND not have to worry about stuff from the air (bugs??) getting into the open cups! Plus considering the time it takes to get the cup, drink the water, dispose of the cup – I bet it will even out any time difference from wearing it!

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 5, 2010

I loooove the camelbak. Although I think I’d leave it at home during races just because of teh stations. It doesn’t take long to stop and grab a cup of water.

Great job on the PR!!!

Jess April 5, 2010

I think if it doesn’t chaff or weigh you down, rock it out.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 5, 2010

Oooh I wanna make a carrot cake GM…it’s my favorite dessert/food in the world :)

I would use a camelbak if I had one! That way you can have whatever even if there is no station in the vicinity.

Nikki April 5, 2010

Nice time!

I use a water belt during all my half marathon/marathon training and races. I really like it because I can run through the water stations and not get stuck in the crowd. You can drink water as you need it. I also like using my own water with electrolyte tablets over gatorade. You can always get a refill at the water station. A 10k might not be long enough for you need to carry water, but if it’s comfortable, why not?

Jenna April 5, 2010

I’ve never used a camelback, but I think I need to get one, as long runs are near impossible without hydration!

And nice work on the time today, you were FLYING!

Jenny April 5, 2010

Mmmm I love anything carrot cake-flavored!

Lisa April 5, 2010

You bring up a good topic about the water on races. I never thought about bringing a water belt for any races I’ve done –mostly because the races weren’t going to be too long. But the last race I did, an 8k, one of the water stations towards the end of the race was OUT OF WATER!!! The guys running it looked like teens and honestly seemed unsure of what they were supposed to do. I certainly wasn’t going to stand around waiting!

Samantha April 5, 2010

wow you go girl!!! I don’t run with water so I don’t really know. I also have never gotten water at the aid stations before. I would imagine though just do what you’re comfortable with. It’s going to add time going to the aid station and possibly getting water into your mouth and the camelback shouldn’t weigh you down too much, especially if you felt fine running with it already! Hope that helps a little!

Allison @ Food For Healing April 5, 2010

Way to go. Glad to see you are energized and back at ‘er in full swing. Vacations are nice, I need one!

the camelback is pretty sweet, its up to you if you feel that its comfortable enough and if you need the water during the race. You could wear it for your next race and see how it goes and not the next time. See which you prefer!

Meg April 5, 2010

That GM looks really good!

Lin April 5, 2010

i’m so impressed with your time! i’d say definitely wear what’s comfortable for you during the race. i’d bring the camelback just in case you change your mind.
good luck on sunday!

Little Aspects April 5, 2010

That’s a great training run! I’d say you’ll smash the 50min mark in your upcoming race :-)

I’ve never used a camel back and personally rarely take water on 10k races unless it’s really hot (I make sure I’m hydrates in the lead-up) but you have to work out what you’re comfortable doing. If you’re ok wearing a camel back and still being able to run at your max 10k race pace then go for it. :-)

Rebekah April 5, 2010

Fantastic time! If you feel comfortable with the camel back I would say wear it, that way you do not have to slow down through the water stops. I always carry my fuel belt for races that I would normally grab a drink in…every second counts =) Run Strong!

Amy April 5, 2010

You’re a speedy one! :)

I say bring the camelback. Its better for the environment. I hate seeing all the waste at races.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 5, 2010

Wow that was a speedy mock 10k!!!! I don’t normally run with a camelback – but it can save you time at the drink stations!

Katrina M April 5, 2010

i have a water belt and i wore it during my half marathon. i liked knowing i had it when i needed it. i also decided i would put water in my belt, and then took gatorade at the stations, that way it would not be JUST water or JUST gatorade, and i could even it out. it can also save you from stopping at the stations like others said!

hmmm carrot huh?? might have to try that one! haha…. i bought a can of the Amazing Grass Green Superfood and tried adding it to my GM’s, but every time i add it (even just half a scoop!) it hurts my belly :( it makes me feel bloated and kind of gassy, and my belly just hurts… i’m pretty sure its from that because it happens each time i add the powder. it makes me sad because i really wanted to have that as one more thing to add to my GM’s!! any suggestions for me, has anyone else experienced this??

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 5, 2010

Isn’t it amazing how spring revives the spirit and puts new energy into your body?!? Love it!

Christine (The Raw Project) April 5, 2010

Wow, speedy time! If there will be enough water stations, I wouldn’t run with the Camelback for fear of being weighed down.

Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life April 5, 2010

Carrot Cake Green Monster looks delicious!! I can’t comment on running a race with/without an on-board water supply, but I’d like to hear how it works out for you if you do decide to use it! Also, what kind of employees are you hiring? I’m intrigued!

Triathlonbabe April 5, 2010

Can’t wait to receive my Amazing Grass I ordered on Sat. to try all of these awesome recipes that you speak of!

As for racing with a camelback or water belt….well, it’s a toss or really personal preference. I personally do not “race” with a fuelbelt (water, G20), because I don’t want any type of obstruction. However, during my training runs, I do wear a fuelbelt that will contain a couple of bottles of electrolytes, a couple of bottles of water and then a zipper pouch with my Luna moons, and other types of fuel for a long run. As you know, most races provide you with water, but the water stations may not be at points where you need the hydration, so if you feel like you need a drink or you’re thirsty during a run or race and don’t feel weighed down or uncomfortable, I’d take the camelback. There are also camelbacks for your waist too, that feel kind of like the fuelbelts with the bottles. I always carry a camelback on our long cycling rally’s we do.

Good luck in what you decide!

Run On Angela!!!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 5, 2010

You are hiring someone, nice job, that means the company is growing and doing well. Congratulations you have earned it. I know it must be a lot of hard work and determination.

Chelsea April 5, 2010

Congrats on the training run! Boy, you are fast! I’ve only been running seriously for the past 3 months, so I’ve got a ways to go before I can keep up a pace like that.

The GM looks delicious! I just recently started drinking GMs and I have been blogging about it on my Tumblr website! I am hoping to bring the Green Monster Movement to Tumblr :)

I am signed up for my first race in May (a half-marathon), and I haven’t decided whether I should get a water belt or a Camelback. I just recently bought a SPI belt (spibelt.com) that I use to bring running gels or gummies as well as my iPhone. I can’t imagine using two belts!

Jennifer April 5, 2010

Oh definitely take the camelback. I run with a fuel belt and although annoying at times during races, it allows me to sip water when I need it not when I think I should (at the water station) because I won’t be able to have a another drink until the next station. Plus you get to run past the crush of people wanting to getting water.

Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES April 5, 2010

good job on the mock 10k, girl! and congrats on getting your glo mojo back! cant wait to hear more!

Marcia April 5, 2010

I use a water belt. My first half, got a nasty side ache by stopping at a water station vs drinking my own.

Marcia April 5, 2010

Great time by the way!!

Katherine April 5, 2010

I never drink while out on a run (even half marathons). I need to do practice runs like you so I can start getting there with practicing fueling mid-run (that’s what’s holding me back distance-wise). Great times there! can’t wait to hear more
Katherine
whataboutsummer

Angela April 5, 2010

Congrats – that’s an amazing time!! I’m running the Sporting Life 10k in Toronto on May 3rd – you should do it and then we could finally meet!!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' April 5, 2010

I’d say if you’re used to running with the Camelbak, you should definitely bring it with you for the race! I really hate all the crowds around water stations, and running through all of the trash, too! Having your own water with you could help you avoid all that! :D

Page 1 of 212»