Beach Runner 12.12

Good Friday to ya!

Well, we are back on Canadian soil. We got home late last night and finally got to bed around 1:45am. I opened my suitcase and the sunscreen spray had exploded over a bunch of my clothing and now I have blue-stained clothes as a blue dress rubbed on some clothing (and I think they are ruined). :( Wasn’t the best way to end the trip! Anyone have any tricks on getting blue dye out of clothes?

Yesterday morning we had plans for a run + bike tour of Sanibel Island. I had a delicious grapefruit, loose leaf green tea, and Glo Bar as my fuel.

IMG 0183 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

I filled up my Camelbak and we were off to the bike rental shop so Eric could rent a bike for a couple hours. The sun was shining and we were really excited to see more of the island. We had a destination in mind- Bowman’s Beach- which we knew was quite a trek, so we decided to see how it went and go from there. I find that sometimes having a destination in mind when I run is a huge motivator, rather than just saying ‘I am going to run x miles today’.

We were off!

There is a huge bike path on the island that is around 25-30 miles long. Everyone and their dog rents bikes on the island and uses them for their mode of transportation!

IMG 01672 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

We left around 9am and it was around 20C, but it quickly warmed up. That sun got hot! Thank goodness I had my Camelbak.

After approx 6 miles we arrived at Bowman’s Beach! It took us approx 54:35 minutes.

IMG 0169 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

The beach was already quite busy for it being so early in the day.

IMG 0171 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

We only stayed for about 5 minutes since we were on a time crunch yesterday. I put back my sneakers on and we were off like a heard of turtles.

IMG 0175 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

The run back was very challenging. It was hot, hot, hot. For motivation, I told myself that once I got to the Wildlife preserve I could stop and take a break. This helped push me through those few miles at the start when I felt like quitting. After 35 minutes we got to the Wildlife Preserve and we stopped and took a break in the shade.

IMG 01802 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

I put on a power song on my Shuffle and we made it back to the car feeling quite accomplished after touring approx. 12.12 miles of the island in 1 hour 49 minutes and change. It was a fast long run for me no doubt because there wasn’t one lick of a hill along the route! I am going to have to amp up my hill training in the next couple months. ;)

We came back to the hotel and I tried coconut water to replenish!

IMG 0185 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12 IMG 0187 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

I thought the taste was not great at first, but then I got used to it and I quite liked it. I felt so hydrated after drinking this! Although, I think the point is to drink it during a workout and not after? Regardless, it was needed!IMG 0189 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

I also had lunch made with the food we had in the room. It was similar to yesterday’s lunch.

We got a late checkout at our hotel for 3pm and then we had a few hours to kill before going to the airport. We checked out Tanger outlets near our hotel and we picked up our niece and nephew a little something for our Easter get together this weekend!

IMG 0193 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

After that we had dinner at a place called ‘Chef Brooke’s Natural Cafe’ in Fort Myers.

IMG 0206 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

I was surprised to walk in and find that the cafe wasn’t busy. I was also surprised to find out that they were closing soon (5:30pm) and after 3:30pm they are only open for take-out, which meant that we had to choose our meal from pre-made items in the fridge.

It was a bit strange and I was slightly disappointed not to be able to order from the menu (which was huge!). I asked about their hours and the latest that they ever stay open is 5:30pm. I think this cafe could do amazing if they were open for dinner…such a shame!

IMG 0203 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

I ordered the hummus, quinoa, and tabbouleh wrap. Brilliant!!! I was sooo hungry from the long run too.

IMG 0196 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

Awesome.

Eric had the chicken veggie wrap…which he inhaled.

IMG 0197 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

I also had a fresh juice called ‘Green Goddess’ :mrgreen: It had kale, dandelion, chard, spinach, cucumber, lettuce, celery, green apple, ginger, and lemon.

IMG 0198 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

This baby was packing some Green MONSTA! Meow. It was not sweet at all. Eric got the Esoteric Elixir which has pineapple, apple, and celery.

I thought this card was a cool idea…

IMG 0200 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

All and all the food was amazing and we were happily on our merry old way to the airport.

IMG 0201 thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

We had such a wonderful trip and did not want to leave! Floridians sure do have Southern Hospitality. ;)

Oh want to know something funny? One thing Eric and I noticed that many people do around Florida is push their tiny dogs around in strollers!!!!! We saw this in Fort Lauderdale, Naples, and Fort Myers. I have not seen this around home at all. Have you guys seen this before? I thought it was quite funny!!!

kittywalkpetstroller thumb   Beach Runner 12.12

[source]

Today is a huge catch up day as you can imagine. I feel a bit overwhelmed. I promised myself when I went on vacation that I would not check emails and I only checked it once or twice in the past 2 weeks! I have about 500 emails to go though now and I am a bit scared!!!! I also have a huge stack of paper mail + bills for Glo Bakery to attend to…plus laundry, cleaning, etc. I also need to track my workouts in my Spring Training Plan which I forgot to do. I need to log all my mileage.

On a more fun note, we are also hoping to get outside today as it is supposed to be 25C/77F and sunny. Whohoo! :)

Let’s make today’s question a fun one…I am curious to see what you think-

Dogs in strollers- would you do it, why or why not? What about cats? :)

Stay tuned for a fun race announcement!

Jane April 2, 2010

I always hate it when stuff blows up in your suitcase…have learned my lesson and pack with ziplock bags….try it. Hairspray is good to get ink out of carpets…I wonder if that would work? Could always dye your white clothes blue?

Have a great day.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2010

Im with you on wrapping things in bags, although we were out of them and weren’t thinking I guess! Oh well, live and learn. Might try the hairspray trick…

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 2, 2010

WOW ANGELA!!! 12 miles!? What a run. I was just jumping for joy about my 6 miles. I’ve been dealing with shin pain for years and hadn’t run 6 in a looooong time. Something is in the air, huh?

Well, your air is all ocean-y and probably smells great….my air is full of pollen :(

Enjoy the last bit of vacay!

Sagan April 2, 2010

That is TOO FUNNY about the dogs. I work at a specialty vet clinic that only does acupuncture/chiropractic/physio therapy for animals, and some of the dogs are paralyzed so they actually have these little sets of wheels hitched to their hind legs so that they can scoot around. It’s so cute.

Looks like you had a great trip- although it definitely does look HOT! Wish some of that heat would come to Winnipeg (it’s supposed to SNOW here tomorrow. Boo!).

Lauren April 2, 2010

I think you drank your coconut water at the right time. It’s an excellent recovery drink with lots of vitamins to help repair those muscles and replenish your energy stores. I always have a few on hand in my fridge. I love the mango and pineapple flavors! MMMMM. I found a bunch on sale for 77 cents a piece. Needless to say, I loaded up the cart!

I’m eating oat bran for breakfast right now with a bunch of cinnamon and fresh strawberries. I’ve never had oatbran as a cereal before. I have to admit…I’m kinda hooked. ;-)

Lizzie April 2, 2010

Add some peanut butter and honey/agave/maple . . . 6 months later I am still not sick of it :) and the mornings I do have it, I notice that I am not hungry for a good 3 hours.

Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 2, 2010

I’ve seen dogs in strollers around Toronto . . . it’s a little odd

Welcome home! Enjoy the sunshine today, I know I will :)

Thirtyandhealthy April 2, 2010

I would not be pushing a pet in a stroller unless it had some kind of injury! I live in Scotland and I swear I would get laughed out of the country! I’ve never even seen people carrying little dogs in bags in this country. Or maybe that’s just a hollywood thing? Good luck with the dye removal!

Ameena April 2, 2010

Dogs in strollers seriously drive me nuts. I mean how spoiled are pets in the USA? I can imagine how foreigners come over here and think…this country is ridiculous!!

Sorry about your clothes…I heard something about vinegar working on sunscreen spills but I haven’t tried it myself. Sorry that isn’t more helpful!

Morgan April 2, 2010

Ugh, my grandma pushes her poodle around in a stroller, and always tries to pass it off to us. It is so beyond embarassing! People either think it’s adorable or give her the strangest looks!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 2, 2010

Oh man, that sucks about your clothing– hate that :-(

What a great run to end the trip on!! Good luck playing catch up (ketchup?) today!

Lizzie April 2, 2010

12 miles? OK – that puts my 9 (that I haven’t even run yet!) in the shade :) I definitely am a warm weather girl and run better in hot weather than I do in cold. I know you’ve mentioned the camel bak a couple of times – wondering if you could write a brief review of it? I’m Ok for the most part as during the warmer months all the public bubblers are operating, but outside of those times I’m still trying to figure out the most efficient to carry water with me.

As for your question: NO NO NO! If you’re flying, or travelling then I can see it. But unless a dog is ill, very elderly, or has some sort of injury, they’re there to walk . . not get pushed in a pram! But everyone’s got their thing, and if it doesn’t hurt anyone else then it probably just makes our world a little quirkier :) Don’t stress too much about the day . .. deep breaths . . . :)

Lizzie April 2, 2010

Oh and for the dye thing: http://www.dylon.co.uk/products/colour-run-removers/colour-run-remover.html It’s a UK company, but that means there’s a greater chance you’ll find it in Canada (being the Commonwealth and all :)). It saved me buying an entire load of new clothes when I was in college!

Danielle (Coffee Run) April 2, 2010

Wow, I can’t believe you just did a spontaneous 12 mile run! That’s awesome :)

Dogs + strollers need to disassociate haha

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 2, 2010

oh my gosh those strollers are hilarious! i would never EVER do that (besides my dogs are 50 and 100 lbs), but my brother in law ans his wife used to do it for their yorkie. pretty funny i must say :)

glad you guys had a great trip overall! you should try OxiClean to get those stains out…

Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com April 2, 2010

I think people do the stroller thing for cats who want out, but won’t walk on a leash or for older dogs. I saw the ghost whisperer fix a problem where a dog and cat weren’t getting along by walking the dog and putting the cat in a pet stroller so they could bond the way dogs would when being walked together.

Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com April 2, 2010

haha…dog whisperer…I always do that.

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 2, 2010

Wow! Awesome run! You have been a long-run diva this week!
I’m SO sorry about your suitcase. What a bummer:(
Good luck plowing through everything today. Hopefully you’re nice and rested for it :)

Julie @SavvyEats April 2, 2010

I’ve never seen one of those strollers, and I think I’d feel ridiculous walking around with one!

Katie April 2, 2010

One of my co-workers and his fiance have a stroller for their cat! It’s even Jeep brand! I see a new way for Sketchie to get around… maybe you could get a jogging version :)

Jenny April 2, 2010

Lad ya had a good time in Florida! So sorry about your ruined clothes!!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 2, 2010

I’ve never seen a dog in a stroller, but it seems like a stupid idea. I’m sure most of the dogs would agree. I also hate the day after you get home from vacation. There’s always so much to do!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 2, 2010

Dogs in strollers… that is odd to me. I mean I guess I could understand if you were going a long distance and the dog/cat couldn’t walk that far. But still…
That’s too bad about the suitcase!!! like others have said, I always put anything liquid in ziploc bags after experiences like that!

Kelly April 2, 2010

Hahaha those pet strollers are soo funny! Glad you had a great trip!

Jewel@fit-and-fabulous-jewel April 2, 2010

I don’t see it often at home…but when we were in St. Augustine last weekend I saw at least three dogs in strollers!

Personally I think it is ridiculous and the dogs are spoiled…but then again I am not walking in their shoes so I don’t know circumstances!

Glad you enjoyed Florida!!!! So sorry about the messy ending too!

jenn April 2, 2010

My lazy pugs need all the exercise they can get but I know they’d prefer a stroller. When my kids were babies my pugs would ride in the basket underneath the jogging stroller when I’d go for jogs.

Glad you had fun trip.

Melissa April 2, 2010

I found when I was training for my half that if I had coconut water during/after my longer runs I didn’t feel sluggish the rest of the day. Did you find that??

Fae April 2, 2010

Mmmm love coconut water!!!

Welcome home!! Glad you enjoyed your vaca!!

Lisa April 2, 2010

That’s sooo bizarre about the strollers! Don’t dogs like to run around??

Judy (Cookbook maven) April 2, 2010

Well, I have toy dogs (long haired chihuahuas). They get walked. Almost every day, barring really, really cold & windy days or days with torrential downpours all day. They get walked in the cold of NY, and they got walked in the heat of TX.

So no, I wouldn’t do it.

And they mostly love their walks (except when the weather is bad). Little dogs need exercise just as much as big dogs — too many people make the mistake of treating toy dogs as literally dogs.

Can you tell it’s one of my pet peeves?

And no, I wouldn’t do it for my cats, either. We do have an outdoor kennel for my cats — so that they are protected, but can still get some fresh air & sunshine.

And at one point we trained them to walk on a harness, but in our old neighborhood, there were too many dogs running free and we eventually had to stop their walks.

diana April 2, 2010

Hey there, I’ve been hiding reading your blog (; I’ve found you through HPT.

This used to happen to me all the times, then I figured out a way to prevent from spilling all over my clothes!! This is what I came up with: take the cap off and put the plastic wrap over. Make sure the plastic wrap extends to the neck and shoulder of the bottle too, then put the cap back on tightly!!

NB in MG April 2, 2010

my sunscreen exploded all over the bag i kept my business trip expense receipts in!!! i’m not sure WHAT i was thinking…. but the suncreen took off ALL of the writing on the receipts!!!!
so… no company expense claim for me!!! it was a very expensive trip for me!!
good luck with the dye!!

Erin April 2, 2010

The Green Goddess juice sounds amazing, but it MUST have been super green-ish, especially with dandelion greens in it! It’s been fun reading about your trip – I just imagine you as a ball of energy bouncing around Florida – ordering salads and going on long runs, on vacation! I’m certainly impressed. Oh, and the dog stroller thing I’m thinking is a south FL thing – I don’t think you’d see it in central or north Florida so much…

Lizz (Leading the Good Life) April 2, 2010

Awesome run!! Isn’t it great to exercise on vacation?! It somehow seems more fun to run/bike/hike in a new place. We just got back from LA and we got some sort of exercise in every day – so refreshing.

I would not push my dog in a stroller. Then again, she is young, healthy, and full of energy. I supposed I’d reconsider if she couldn’t walk well…fresh air is always good!

And as for cats, I’m not sure. As long as they like it, I guess!

s April 2, 2010

OMG DOGS IN STROLLERS! not gonna lie, i’d take my cat out on a stroller … i feel sad that she is cooped up indoors since she is a housecat. haha :)

Ellen April 2, 2010

Here’s an extra tip for the next time you pack: not only put your toiletrees in plastic baggies, but place your clothes and shoes in separate plastic bags. I fold and stack the clothes I’m bringing and place them in a plastic grocery bag. I also do this with shoes, that way they don’t touch the clothes and get the shoes all dirty…so…clothes and shoes are protected, and also stay pretty neat and folded….Looks like a great trip!

Allison @ Food For Healing April 2, 2010

dogs in strollers? whats the POINT! they don’t get any exercise at ALL then. kind of ridiculous. Cats in strollers is silly too. My cats go in a harness and leash out back if they want to go outside.

Amy @ Running in Pink April 2, 2010

Wow you did so well running that distance in the heat, i am no good running in the smallest amount of heat, it kills me but i guess that’s what happens when you live in the freezing UK like me!

I love them animal strollers, i would love to get one of them as my cat can not go outside because she has a condition called FIV – that would be perfect for her – i may look a bit of a loon walking round my little rural english town with a kitty in a stroller though LOL !

Tina April 2, 2010

Oh the stroller things are a no for me. I just don’t get it. One of our neighbors has one. If the animal is not getting movement on the walk (the main reason you take a pet on a walk), then WHY bring it along???

Anyways, glad your trip ended well (before the sunscreen explosion).

Sarah April 2, 2010

My girl dog, Chloe, would LOVE a stroller, but honestly… I feel like if she didn’t get any exercise she’d get sick and arthritic. Like people, dogs need to move those legs! I compromise with her, and sometimes will take her around in a bag when I go shopping, which she enjoys. But I always make sure to make her walk a few times a day.

I’m sorry about that sunscreen. I had the same thing happen once with lotion, qu’elle disastre! Ever since I’m a plastic baggie fanatic. :(

Run Sarah April 2, 2010

Outlets, good food, and an amazing run? Sounds awesome to me! My dog prefers walking so I’m not sure a stroller would be best, me and Allen always joke about it though!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 2, 2010

Bummer about the sunscreen. :( I am sure if you search someone will have a great idea of how to remove it, tho!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) April 2, 2010

hahah the dog in stollers!! thats too funny! awesome job on the run!!! I tried the coconut water once, and only liked the flavored kind, but it did give me a great sense of hydration after my workout!!

love your cute blue outfit :)

ahhh so sorry abotu the sunscreen. I would google it to find out how to get it out of clothes…google to the rescue ;)

Page 1 of 212»