The Three C’s Of Exercise

Happy Friday to YOU :)

It was beautiful outside this morning and I decided my workout was now or never before the craziness of the day sets in.

However, I only had about 15 minutes this morning because I had a bunch of shipments to prepare before the Fedex man arrived. I decided to maximize the 15 minutes and do some outdoor speed work!

In A Hurry 15 Minute Run

• Warm up: 2 minutes walking + 1 minute jumping jacks
  • Speed interval #1: 800 metres (1/2 mile) in 3 mins. 40 seconds
  • Rest: Walk for 1 minute
  • Speed interval #2: 800 metres (1/2 mile) in 3 mins. 42 seconds
  • Cool down: 3-4 minutes walking

Total time: Approx 15 mins.

It was awesome!

Before I left I had half of a Classic Glo Bar for some fuel.

IMG_1276

Upon return, I had this glowing Green Monster:

IMG_2222

Ingredients: 1 frozen banana, 3 kale leaves, 1 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate meal, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, ice, 1.25 cups almond milk.

Nothing is better after a run!

Untitled-1

Health Tip #4: Practice the Three C’s Of Exercise

This is what I like to refer to as keeping your exercise:

1) Challenging

2) Consistent

3) Considerate

1) Challenge Yourself:

Over the past year I have done the following challenges to shake things up:

I have also trained for and run a 10k race, 10 miler, and 2 half marathons (recaps found here). Currently I am training for my 3rd half marathon (May 30th) and I am also on month two of the Booty Camp fitness DVD. I find that challenging my body in news ways gives me the best results and it also prevents workout boredom!

2) Be Consistent:

To see results from exercise, consistency is also key. In the past I always wanted a quick fix. I wanted to diet and workout and be at my goal weight in a couple weeks. Over time I realized that this crash dieting and exercise mentality would set me up for one thing- failure. Now I look at the big picture with exercise and my aim is to be consistent over the long-term.

Take this morning for example, I could have totally blown off exercise due to my busy day, but I decided to use what time I had even if it was less than normal and not according to my training plan. And you know what? I felt great afterwards, even with just 15 minutes!

Change takes time- especially physical changes- so be persistent with your efforts and when you least expect it, you will notice some great changes.

3) Be Considerate:

Don’t expect perfection. Consistency is great, but you also need to respect your body and its’ limits. If you are sore and tired, give your body rest. Do not push through an injury or a nagging pain that you think might turn into an injury. A few days off exercise is much better than 2 months off exercise. It took me a long time to realize that it is OK if I miss planned workouts. This week I definitely missed a few workouts (including a long run), but really it is not the end of the world. Life happens!

Would you consider your workouts challenging, consistent, and considerate? Why or why not? Is there anything you want to change about your workouts or your approach to exercise?

See you later for a Health News Round Up. :)

Have a great Friday!

Angela_Signature

1 Lo-Jo March 19, 2010

The considerate part is the tough one for me. If I miss a workout I feel guilty…something I’m working on for sure.

2 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 19, 2010

Love the 3 C’s. Great post!

3 Chelsea March 19, 2010

I really enjoy working out, it is a huge part of my life. I do however feel very guilty when missing workouts, especially a few days in a row! Like, right this very minute I am sick, like sick-sick. The last time I was able to workout was Tuesday, and its Friday and i am weak and I still keep thinking that I am going to try to run tonight even though it prob isnt the best thing. This perfect weather came, and I am missing it!! I know that is lame, but it is how I feel. :(

4 Meghan@traveleatlove March 19, 2010

I definitely practice the 3 C’s, thought I do take some pretty big chunks of time off which might make me a little less consistent. But thats only so I can be considerate :)

5 Sagan March 19, 2010

I like the way you’ve structured this with the three C’s. I love trying new challenges, so it helps to always switch things up with having something new on the go! But I also adore walking, so I make a point of walking for at least an hour every day. It’s one of those “consistant” things that just feels like second nature now (which I guess is really the whole idea behind consistancy!). And I think that when we’re considerate of ourselves and DON’T expect perfection, that keeps things fun and we’ll actually be more likely to stick with it.

That Green Monster looks tasty :D

6 Jenny March 19, 2010

Definetly consistent, most of the time challenging,… I’m working on the considerate part- the A type personality gets me!

7 Emmanuelle March 19, 2010

The 3C’s, I’ll remember that! I could do with more challenge indeed. Consistency is here, and I’ve learned to be considerate. I still feel guilty sometimes when I miss a workout, but I’ve been learning to let go and listen to my body, especially as life as been crazy over the last months and that’s my choice :-)

8 Claire March 19, 2010

Sounds like a very smart workout!!cc

9 Kerri March 19, 2010

Good post, Angela. A balanced approach is the most surefire way to achieve success! I am working on being considerate–lately I’ve been battling a foot issue. Never sure if it’s more mental or physical – so I try to not “wuss out”. Resting is just as important and running, though!. OOooh….thereys a blog post idea! Maybe you should do a “3 Rs” post….Rest, Run, Refuel :)

10 Angela March 19, 2010

My workouts are consistent and usually challenging. I only have about 45 min/day to workout (during my 9 mo old’s nap) so I always try to make the most of it!

Also – I just nom’d you for an award over at my blog! Thanks for being an inspriration!

11 Saffity March 19, 2010

I’m definitely challenging in my work outs, I have 30 Day Shred, my WiiFit, jogging, and other little things that I’m doing to switch things up.

I’m considerate, in that if I’m sick, or sore or have something that I know would become worse by exercizing, I don’t, I listen to my body in that way and try to stay as pain free as possible (I really try to watch myself because I’ve already had surgery on one knee and I have recurring pain from a couple of past injuries and I’m only 27)

Consistent is where I have my most trouble. I will be really good for a week or so, but then I’ll get busy, or I won’t feel like it, or I’ll make up an excuse as justification for why I don’t exercize, then I’ll make a list and a plan and I’ll promise myself I’ll stick to it, and it just becomes a vicious cycle. The big thing I try is to not let it get me down, to keep going and make that other list, and work at it for to try and make this time actually consistent.

I know that if you make yourself do something often enough it eventually becomes a habit, and my periods of being good at exercizing are getting longer… I just have to keep sticking to it.

Thanks for showing that even with just 15 minutes you can still get a good workout. I really need to get up and go more often and not tell myself that I can’t or don’t have enough time.

12 Lynda March 19, 2010

Great post Ang!

I promise myself at least 30 minutes excercise a day. Somedays I stop exactly at 30 minutes and other days like today, I go for an hour. If I miss a workout, I feel guilty…I’m working on that.

Enjoy Florida, my good friends there right now and she’s getting a tan. It’s a good sign that it’s sunny and warm.

13 Cynthia (It All Changes) March 19, 2010

My hardest part is being considerate of myself and my health when I don’t get in my workouts like I planned.

14 Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow March 19, 2010

Very cool topics. I love the three C’s.

I think what I do falls along the lines of challenging but I kind of tweak my approach a bit.

In the last two years I finally learned that exercise should not be a chore, something you don’t look forward to doing or something that stresses your body in an unhealthy way.

So my additional tip would be to HAVE FUN! do things that inspire, motivate and excite you! Everything about exercise should be focused on working hard but having a BLAST while doing it. :)

15 Linda March 19, 2010

Once again this is a great post Angela! I love to work out and used to have the mentality that I had to work out at least an hour a day or I wouldn’t bother. How silly is that? I agree you need to fit it in when you can. I also used to be just a cardio junky and started to notice that my body wasn’t changing like I had hoped. I began incorporating weights into my training three years ago and it transformed me! I also do yoga three to four days a week along with the weight training and I am happy to say I LOVE my body and accept me. I feel so strong and flexible. Variety is the key for sure. I also cross country ski in the winter and hike my booty off in the summer. :)

16 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 19, 2010

I try to be all three but it can be tough! I definitely have to continue to push myself and not get stuck just going through the motions….

17 Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 19, 2010

Great 3 c’s and so true.

18 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman March 19, 2010

Consistent for me is so important. If I take off more than a couple days, it’s so much harder to get back into the swing of things.

19 Life Lite March 19, 2010

Random but, do you like the frozen bananas better than just a room temp one?

20 Ameena March 19, 2010

I am very consistent in my exercise routine…I do something every day for at least an hour. Sometimes it is just a walk, or yoga and a walk, sometimes a run and weights. Since I sit at a desk all day for work I find myself craving moment!

21 Becky @ flybynyght March 19, 2010

Love that tip!

I think being considerate is the hardest – Right now I’m dealing with an injured foot and it’s hard not to beat myself up about getting the workouts in that I want… But I’m going to try harder now! Thanks!

22 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com March 19, 2010

Right now I’m frustrated with my body becaude I finally enjoy running, but I keep hurting myself. Hopefully a visit to the orthopedist on Tuesday will help.

23 erika March 19, 2010

I think the thing I would like to and am trying to change about my worksouts is to change it up from time to time. I am a creature of habit and when I find something I like I do it forever. This being said I don’t see any changes in my body – it’s like my body says oh spinning again for the 5th day ok rest time. So I am now imcorporating different exercises to keep my body on it’s toes. I am also going to try a week long yoga challenge – committing to a month is too much right now so i figure go slow and build up.

24 Bronwyn March 19, 2010

My workouts are totally consistent. Sometimes I struggle with the “challenging” portion, but recently I began pushing myself with my running again (just to “see how fast I can go”) and it’s felt great.

Right now I’m being considerate. I exercise at least 6days a week, from 30min to over an hour. And this week I’ve been TIRED, mentally and physically, and instead of looking forward to my workouts, I’ve been dreading them. So…. I’m not going to make myself run or do anything strenuous for a couple days, and hopefully I’ll feel renewed and ready to jump back int it. Sometimes even taking more then one day off is fine.

25 La March 19, 2010

All of your posts are so so appropriate for my life right now! I’m really working on enhancing my ability to do all of these things – this week I’ve challenged myself every day in Pilates (I do it 4 times a week), and it’s paid off! And consistency – hell yeah, now that I’m eating better and have a regular fitness routine, my body is showing me results and I couldn’t be happier. It’s so easy to keep it up because it makes me happy. And considerate – I tried to push myself by going for a bike ride when I was still recovering from a cold, I failed, and now I’m learning what my limitations are. It’s kind of nice in a way. I’ve never been a physical person so I don’t know if I expect perfection yet…I’m in a perfect storm for now.

26 SoVeryFabulous March 19, 2010

Great tips! I need to work on being consistent in my workouts. I don’t do them enough! I’m working on it though. :)

27 Kate March 19, 2010

I’m so glad I found this blog! All of your posts this week have really got me thinking about what I need to do to live a healthy happy life. (Something I never did while dieting or last year after I quit dieting.)

Last November I threw out my back. After three days of manipulation by my Chiro I began to feel better. Since I didn’t want to miss out on my exercise I went to the gym and busted out 30 mins on the elliptical. The next morning I was in so much pain I could hardly move. My back was worse than when I first threw it out. If I had waited (and been considerate) I would have let my back heal properly and would have been back to exercising faster. Instead I had to wait 6 weeks until my back was fully healed before I could go back to the gym.

28 Majl March 19, 2010

I wish I had more time and less things to do! Ideally, I’d like to do a 45 minute cardio session followed by 1.5 hours of yoga a couple of times a week.

When I teach my spin class, which is 45 minutes, I remind participants that it is only about 3% of their day, which is not much right? I tell them to aim for 3-4 times a week for at least 20 minutes.

Thankfully, being a fitness instructor who leads people through a HIIT style program requires me to challenge myself or else I’d have to quit teaching. :)

29 Sri March 19, 2010

I woke up this morning, and realized I didnt have half hour to get in any reasonable exercise + time to & from gym + shower. And then I read your blog on my phone, and said heck a 15 minute workout sounds like just what I need! I did the exact same work out! How fun was that? :) Thank you!

30 Christine (The Raw Project) March 19, 2010

Wonderful post. My workouts have not been as challenging as I’d like, the weather has put me in a home gym rut. But, that’s changing as I add in more trampoline classes and running.

31 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 19, 2010

it’s definitely a challenge to meet the 3 C’s, but i totally agree…those are the things that need to happen for results! i’d say the hardest thing for me is challenging…it’s so much easier to get stuck in a rut! :)

32 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 19, 2010

“considerate” is probably hardest for me.

33 Marulka March 19, 2010

Ange,
What a great post – exactly what I need to get me out the door. The weather is fantastic here in San Francisco and I really have no excuse not to get going ASAP. Jogging on the Embarcadero, overlooking the Bay Bridge should be enough of a motivation but somehow, it doesn’t work that way…. Thanks again for your infectious positivity!

-Marulka @ bgcooks.com

34 Michelle (Life With Relish) March 19, 2010

I love this post! I tend to get down on myself when I miss planned workouts, but I’m learning to celebrate my accomplishments rather than dwell on it.

35 Dotsie March 19, 2010

Challenging, Consistent, and CONSIDERATE. I really love this post–totally awesome. Thank you for reminding me to be CONSIDERATE of my body. I have issues with that-it’s not rocket science, but I definitely just had an AH-HA! moment.

Thank you, thank you!

Have a great Friday and weekend! :-D

36 Megan March 19, 2010

Love the three c’s, but I’d like to say that I think you have to be careful to make sure the CONSIDERATE doesn’t get in the way of CONSISTENCY when starting a new routine. I definitely try to be considerate when making myself a plan, but then hold myself to it unless I truly need a break. But as long as you have planned rest days, focusing too much on being considerate could get you in trouble, becuase hard workouts are HARD, especially when you’re first getting into shape!!

37 Lauren March 19, 2010

I think the hardest thing for me to do is mix up my workouts. I’m a big cardio junky, and I have a hard time convincing myself that any other type of exercise would be equally beneficial.

38 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 19, 2010

Be considerate – I totally and completely agree. I’ve been sidelined from any sort of exercise for going on 3 months now, after a stress fracture. TRUST ME, taking a couple of days off, or even a couple of weeks, is SO much better than months. Just today, I started swimming for the first time. And by swimming I mean getting in the water and paddling around for about 10 minutes. But after 3 months of absolutely nothing, it felt amazing. Even though I was sore after. I’m learning to listen to my body and take it easy when I need to. For now, I can’t push myself but I’m just enjoying moving. Never take exercise for granted!! I know one thing, I will NEVER complain about a workout again.

39 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 19, 2010

Great tips! I love the three C’s =D I try to make my workouts challenging and consisent, consistency is the hardest with my busy schedule. Consideration is hard, too- I need learn when to push harder and when to back off, sometimes!

I want to challenge myself more. Lately I have just gotten back into running and want to run further, and train for a half marathon. Soon!

xo
K

40 Jolene March 19, 2010

I love the glasses that you use for your green monsters … makes them look so pretty :-)

41 John March 19, 2010

Nice post. I have a problem with consideration though. I don’t always listen to my body. Finally listening though and taking the next 5 days off to heal.

42 Sophie @ yumventures March 22, 2010

“Considerate” is so important to me! I used to push my body too hard, and it would suffer from pain and fatigue. Now I listen to my body and am kind to it, and I see more results.

43 Danny December 18, 2015

Hi Angela, thanks for sharing your three C’s of exercise. Let me add two more C’s and these are Commitment and Camaraderie. When exercising, you should have the total commitment to it. You should make time for it. And when you are exercising with a partner or with a group, a sense of camaraderie is possible.