Eat Volume Food

Hope your St. Patty’s Day is going great!

IMG 2439 thumb   Eat Volume Food

Sadly, this was not green beer that fueled my workday today- it was a green monster- but I had to have it in a beer mug! I made this GM with kale…and I forgot how horrible my Kitchen Aid blender is with kale. It was soooooo chewy. Not cool. I dream of the day when I can buy a Vitamix!

Until then, I chew my kale. :mrgreen: and I check my teeth very carefully before going out. ;)

In the St. Patty’s Day GM: 3 cups kale, 1 cup hemp milk, 1 tablespoon cashew butter, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, ice.

My exercise today was quite the change of ‘pace’! It was so gorgeous outside, I decided to go for a walk on my lunch break. I can’t remember the last time I just laced up my sneakers and went for a WALK! Sometimes, a walk is all you need to feel re-energized. I did a brisk 30 minutes around the neighbourhood. Sometimes workouts don’t need to be intense to feel amazing!

Untitled1 thumb2   Eat Volume Food

Health Tip #2: Eat Volume Food!

If you guessed that I eat volume foods everyday you’d be right! This is how I eat a lot of food and still maintain my weight.

Volume foods are foods that physically have a lot of volume (or size) to them, but they are typically low in calories.

For breakfast, my favourite two volume foods are Green Monsters and oatmeal. The key is to have protein and healthy fat in addition to your volume foods.

For breakfast, I typically use protein powder, chia seeds, and nut butter to give them staying power.

Want to add more volume to your GM? Just add ice and water! Sometimes I put 4-5 ice cubes in mine and 1/4 cup water if I want it really big volume wise.

IMG 2322 thumb   Eat Volume Food IMG 0482 thumb   Eat Volume Food

My oatmeal typically has the following: 1/2 cup oats, 1 banana, 1 cup non-dairy milk, 1/2 cup water (or bit more), 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1 tablespoon nut butter.

Perfection!

IMG 0893 thumb   Eat Volume Food

On the other hand, no amount of cereal or toast ever seems to fill me up! What is up with that?!

IMG 2362 thumb   Eat Volume Food IMG 6935 thumb thumb   Eat Volume Food

For lunch I typically have wraps. However, wraps on their own do not leave me feeling satisfied. They take about 2 minutes to eat and when I am done I am asking where my wrap went! ;)

That’s why I always have lunch with at least 2 servings of veggies on the side. Sometimes I have an English cucumber and hummus or 3-4 carrots and salsa. Crunching veggies is very satisfying as they take a long time to eat and give your brain a chance to register that it is full.

IMG 1584 thumb1   Eat Volume Food

Soup is also a great volume food! I love this Amy’s Reduced Sodium Split Pea Soup:

IMG 0599 thumb   Eat Volume Food

I usually end my lunch with more volume food- fruit!

IMG 1464 thumb   Eat Volume Food

Grapefruit is very filling due to all the water!

IMG 1328 thumb1   Eat Volume Food

During the day, I have lots of tea to stay hydrated. I make sure to never let myself get very thirsty.

IMG 1306 thumb   Eat Volume Food

For dinner, I always have a large salad to go along with whatever we are eating. It fills up my stomach and doesn’t make me feel like I need second helpings.

IMG 1044 thumb   Eat Volume Food

Salads are great because they take that ‘edge’ off your hunger!

IMG 0619 thumb   Eat Volume Food

Stir-frys are another great volume food…

IMG 1202 thumb   Eat Volume Food

As is savoury oatmeal…

IMG 1515 thumb   Eat Volume Food

My favourite dessert may come as no surprise to you… ;) Banana soft serve and cacao nibs! 1 frozen banana, splash of almond milk, cacao nibs.

IMG 1283 thumb   Eat Volume Food

I typically make this around 8pm when Eric and I watch a bit of TV. It is a fun treat to end the day.

Generally speaking, I try to have at least a bit of volume food in each meal. This keeps me feeling satisfied mentally, visually, and physically.

[P.S.- All of these recipes can be found on my Recipes page!]

Do you try to incorporate volume foods into your daily diet? What are your favourite volume foods or recipes?

Post complete, next up- another Breville juice article! I am on article 6 of 8 and I need to finish them before I leave on Saturday!

Have a great day!

Angela Signature thumb18   Eat Volume Food

Vera March 17, 2010

Yum!
Just make sure you drink lots of water along with that tea girlie, the caffeine won’t keep you as hydrated as you need to be!

xox Vera

mkg March 17, 2010

well check this interesting article out :)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 17, 2010

I always add h2O to my green monsters not only to make them voluminous but also so the blades of my blender can whirl away. I like them a little watery too.

Grapefruit is becoming my new fav fruit lately. It changes all the time but it’s grapefruits turn this week.

Voluminous food also contains a lot of water–>hydration!!!

Aoife-Adventures in Veg March 17, 2010

Great tips – especially about filling up with veggies when you have wraps etc! I totally agree about toast & cereal…I try not to eat them that often because I could eat waaaay too much of both. We bought white bread today as we had visitors over and we’ve been eating it all day…soooo not good!

Sarah March 17, 2010

I love the food pics! You always take such nice ones :)

I dream of the day I have a vitamix too, can’t wait to pulverize that kale. Do you use Kale in your Breville? If so, high or low setting? I feel like such little liquid comes out of the greens I juice, it seems so wasteful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 17, 2010

I tried kale in the juice article I am doing today actually- I found that such a tiny amount of green juice came out too :( It was sad. I don’t know if I will be using kale in my juices anymore…might just stick to the GM for that! I used the lowest setting too. Hrmph.

Elle @ Acquired Tastes March 17, 2010

My post today was essentially about the same thing – bulking up a meal with veggies!

I try to always pair fruits or veggies with what I eat – it holds me over longer :)

Mara @ What's for Dinner? March 17, 2010

Love bulking up meals with tons of veggies!! It makes them last so much longer :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 17, 2010

If it makes you feel better, I have a vita mix, and I still feel like I’m chewing the kale in my GMs :-)

I love soup for volume food– all that broth really fills me up!

janetha March 17, 2010

love the GM in the mug :) your presentation is always spot on! lovely!

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self March 17, 2010

Great tips! One question though: when you add extra ice cubes and/or water to your green monsters, do you find that they end up tasting too…well…watery? I used to use fresh fruit and ice cubes but then switched to frozen fruit b/c I felt like all of the extra water really took away from the taste. But I’d love to be able to make my monsters BIGGER without adding anything extra, you know?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 17, 2010

Not really. Since I have been drinking veggie juices I find that I don’t care if it is really sweet or not. I am just used to it. I don’t find that the ice really waters it down because it just tastes so COLD that I don’t notice, perhaps!

Meghan March 17, 2010

Are you blogging on vacation?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 17, 2010

As long as I have internet where I am I will be. :)

Jenny March 17, 2010

i normally eat volume foods, but my bfast and lunch were so light i’m having some lasagna as we speak!

Ameena March 17, 2010

Volume foods are an absolute must!! I eat tons of fruits and veggies, even raw ones and I get full super fast! These are really great tips…thanks Angela.

Jocelyn March 17, 2010

Hey Angela! Would you suggest this way of eating for someone trying to lose a lot of weight? i know you say you maintain your weight with this type of eating..just a question! :)

Love the banana oats!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 17, 2010

I also ate lots of volume foods when I was losing weight too. :) The only difference between now (maintenance) and then (weight loss) was just scaling down my portions a bit. I still ate lots of veggies, salads, etc. I dont think anyone can go wrong with those types of foods!

Hannah March 17, 2010

I try to eat this way too-but, it’s hard to digest it all! I often feel bloated and my stomach gets distended. Have you ever had to overcome this or did that never happen? If so what did you do?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 17, 2010

I have had this problem in the past too. I started to eat slower because my doc told me that I was probably swallowing way too much air by eating so fast (bad habit!). It seems to have helped. I also find that blending veggies in a green monster makes it a bit easier to digest.

Hannah March 17, 2010

Thanks so so much! I’m going to try and get back into the green smoothie habit!

Sonja {Active Foodie} March 17, 2010

Great tips! You basically just set out my exact day of eating!! Green monster for breakfast, crackers and cheese for snack, lunch with lots of veggies and grains, grapefruit for snack, and a large salad with dinner! And lots and lots of tea! :).

Tay March 17, 2010

I loved this because I’m HUGE on volume food. I usually load up on volume food at dinner though, because I don’t like feeling bloated or heavy after lunch. I usually eat literally 3-5 servings of veggies at dinner, and my roommates think I’m crazy! Well, I think they’re crazy for only eating 3 spears of asparagus! LOL. Smoothies are great, I agree. And I love to load up on huge salads.

John March 17, 2010

My favourite volume meal is my smoothie with oatmeal and brocolli mixed in. So filling I go a good 4 hours before I’m hungry again.

Naomi (onefitfoodie) March 17, 2010

i always have a salad with whatever dinner I am eating too! and as for my wraps, I PACK them with veggies, so many people asked me how I still am able to wrap them so I gave a wrap tutorial on my blog haha…I just stuff that thing till it is about to burst! :) I also fill up on fruit of course…sweet dessert!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 17, 2010

link??? :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 17, 2010

What a great post – thanks for sharing Angela! I am huge fan of bulking out whatever my meal is with vegies – works every time!

Mama Pea March 17, 2010

I TOTALLY agree (obviously). I am all about volume (that’s why almost everything I blog about is voluminous). I go through 2 tubs of organic spinach and a 10 lb. bag of carrots per week filling the gap. Great tips, hon!

La March 17, 2010

This is a great post Angela! I’m a huge fan of smoothies, oatmeal, and salads. Carrots and cucumbers are my life. I always forget salad when it comes to dinner though…I should fix that asap!!

Gina March 17, 2010

I always have either a green monster or oats for breakfast…unless I take an am spin class…then I have both! Green monster before and oats after:) I have been replacing lunch with creative and filling salads, usually with a side of crackers or half sandwich. I too, like to have a salad with dinner because it takes me longer to eat and therefore I feel like I am getting more food. Substituting banana soft serve for dessert is an excellent idea…I am going to start doing that (after trying it for the first time yesterday…yum!)

Katie March 17, 2010

I’ve been loving the green monsters for breakfast ever since I got my vitamix! I usually have another one for my nighttime snack. And a huge salad at lunch is pretty much a staple for me!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 17, 2010

I am all about volume foods. I hadn’t thought of it that way until everything you said matched up to what I already do.

Organic Ashley March 17, 2010

I have a very sensitive stomach so high volume foods don’t work as well for me. I try not to eat food that will fill me up too much. So I eat small meals. By doing this I can eat by volume rich foods like veggies but in smaller portions!

Sebrina March 17, 2010

I do a lot of the same things you do. I MUST try that banana soft serve.. my mouth is watering! I just discovered “walnut coconut organic green tea” it is so yummy it’s almost like a treat. I often drink it in the evenings when I feel like something sweet. Even though it’s not really sweet. I got in Bloor West Village at Davidstea http://www.davidstea.com/

erica March 17, 2010

i’ve gotta start eating more veggies!
i’ve tried the whole chia seeds in my green monster thing, but i find it makes me feel weird and light headed…

Ali March 17, 2010

I try to do volume foods, but I’m not sure if this is a personal quirk – even though I eat things that are supposed to make me feel fuller, things like oatmeal or large salad, and I make sure I’m throwing in some healthy protein and fats – I blow through it so quick. Some days, I can tell my blood sugar dips, and others, I’m ravenous so quickly afterward.

I’m trying to cut back on the amount of meat I need in a meal and having vegetarian meals from time to time. But every time I eat something without meat, the same thing happens. I’ve experimented with various proteins and good fats, and I’ve got a clean bill of health, so I’m not sure if this is just an adjustment period, or all in my head.

Anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?

Danielle (Coffee Run) March 17, 2010

I am SUCH a volume eater. I like huge salads, oatmeal, fruit, etc. I started buying these unsweetened cereal puffs (I think Arrowhead Mills and Kashi makes some) and I’ll add them to my cereal to bulk it up!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 17, 2010

I love volume foods – I am a huge fan of fruit and most grains. I also have a new banana soft serve obsession. It is incredible!

Lindsay March 17, 2010

I totally hear you on the walking thing today! I’m usually a runner, but the weather was just so gorgeous that I wanted to really enjoy and savor it for a change. My lovely walk made me feel so invigorated afterwards….ready to head into my next workout with a bang. Sometimes, you just have to pause and take the time to enjoy the beauty around you. It can just brighten your whole outlook on the week!

Bronwyn March 17, 2010

Volume foods are great. They really do do an excellent job filing you up without the calories. I eat tonnes of volume foods… But also a lot of NOT volume foods (a la peanut butter). I just need a better way to stay on track with those not-so-good-to-eat-in-large-quantity foods.

Maya March 17, 2010

I am definitely a volume eater! Things like spaghetti seem to be so low volume wise per serving, so I serve it on a big bed of veggies to fill me up and still enjoy a spaghetti dinner!

christina cadden March 17, 2010

I need to find some coco nibs.

Lindsey March 17, 2010

I have trouble with volume foods as I get so full so fast, I tend to not be able to finish! (GMs, for example – I can never finish one!!) :-/

I also get hungry like, only an hour after I eat oatmeal (and this is with PB and the works too!)

So huh. Does volume food just not work for some peeps? :(

Jes March 17, 2010

I really love your blog! I discovered the green monsters not too long ago, and I am sad on the days I leave too early to make them (the blender wakes up my boyfriend, and he is not a morning person). I usually will make one later in the day to make up for it. I have been incorporating a lot more fruits and vegetables into my diet, and I love to drink tea during the day. I am especially addicted to spearmint tea.

Cynthia (It All Changes) March 17, 2010

I eat a ton and it’s mostly volume foods. I love veggies and right now I need to restock because I don’t really have much to eat. It helps me stay full and maintain my weight too.

Tiffany @ A Dantat's Life March 17, 2010

i am totally volume eater. i NEED the volume to feel satisfied. i’m not the kind of person who can eat a sandwich and be done with the meal, because it is small and calorically dense. in fact, i just made a GM and for the first time, added extra ice in. i usually just put a frozen banana and rely on that to make it thick. but oh gosh… the extra ice cubes!! so so so creamy!! what a wonderful discovery. i need to get chia seeds to bulk up my oatmeal now :P

and a lot of my dinners are huge salads, but instead of having the protein, veggies, and grains on the side, i just dump it all on top of the salad haha.

however, fruits are a different story for me… apples will NEVER keep me satiated. they just make me hungrier, even if i pair them with a protein. same with carrot sticks + pb sometimes. i wish they filled me up, though!

i’m loving your tips this week — thanks for sharing them!

Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES March 17, 2010

i am 100% a volume eater bc i have a big appetite and enjoy eating a lot. i almost always have an enormous salad at some pt in the day bc they are so fun to get creative with. i always feel challenged to make my current salad more banging than my last :)

Lizzie March 17, 2010

Oatmeal/Oatbran has also become my go to brekky – I love it with peanut butter, honey and chia seeds . .yum! I actually get excited about it the night before. Other days I have poaches eggs on toast and I usually find I am hungry earlier than if I have oatmeal.

I need to really commit to salads. I LOVE them, but just find them hard to design, pack up, and take to work. I order them anytime we eat dinner out (someone else makes them – hee hee!). I have got to try that soft serve. A quick lunch that I find fills me up is a serving of Seeds of Change quinoa and brown rice (microwaveable bag), mixed with plain of flavoured hummus. I also love that split pea soup!

Page 1 of 212»