How Do You Sleep?

Good mornin’!

IMG 1098 thumb   How Do You Sleep?

Doesn’t everyone buy 250 pounds of Bob’s Red Mill Oats at a time???? :mrgreen:

I’m really excited to announce that since last week all Glo Bars will use Bob’s Red Mill oats! I tested a bunch of different brands and Bob’s oats were by far the BEST out of all of them. I’m really excited to be using them in my bakery now. And they are organic of course!

I was up and at ‘em at 5:30am this morning. I decided to nail out a great workout to start off the day. Before I hit the treadmill, I had 1/2 of a Glo Bar for some fuel and some Japanese Sencha for some buzz.

I had a challenging 5 mile tempo run:

• Mile 1: 6mph, incline 2%
  • Mile 2: 6.1 mph, incline 2%
  • Mile 3: 6.2 mph, incline 3%
  • Mile 4: 6.3 mph, incline 3%
  • Mile 5: 6 mph, incline 2%

I stop and take a quick 30-60 second water break after each mile. I find this is a good way to break up the run on a treadmill. Instead of saying ‘I’m running 5 miles on the treadmill.’ I say ‘I have 1 mile to run on the treadmill.’ It works, try it!

After the run I did 13 poses for runners to stretch out my tight muscles.

Breakfast this morning was fun…

Apple Pie Oatmeal Parfait

IMG 1109 thumb   How Do You Sleep?

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup regular oats
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
  • 1 T chia seeds (optional- reduce liquid if you don’t use them)
  • 1 t pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • Banana (optional- I didn’t use one)
  • Apple, peeled
  • Sucanat or brown sugar
  • Pure maple syrup

Directions: Take all of the above ingredients (except apple + sugar/syrup) and mix together in a pot. Simmer on medium-low, stirring frequently. While the oats are cooking, peel 1 apple. Slice half of the apple into about 5 thin circles. Take rest of apple and chop into chunks and throw into pot. Lay apple circles flat on a plate and pour a couple tablespoons of milk over top. Sprinkle with Sucanat (or brown sugar) and cinnamon and microwave for about 90 seconds until soft.

LAYER 1: Take cooked oat mixture and add the first layer in a dish or wine glass.

LAYER 2: Sprinkle Sucanat or brown sugar for the next layer (syrup would also work)

LAYER 3: Take 1-2 slices of cooked apple and place in glass/dish.

Repeat layers until dish is full.

Adapted from my Creamy PB & J Oatmeal Parfait.

IMG 1107 thumb   How Do You Sleep?

With some cashew butter and maple syrup on top!

IMG 1116 thumb   How Do You Sleep?

I tested out my new pillow last night and it was perfect.

A few sleep facts about me:

1. I sleep on my back, always. I can’t sleep on my side or stomach.
  2. I like lots of height in my pillows (probably because I sleep on my back and need neck support) and I often sleep with 2-3 pillows
  3. I use Hypoallergenic, synthetic pillows
  4. I usually wake up once during the night (that I remember!)
  5. I get about 7 hours of sleep per night

What about you?

Angela Signature thumb20   How Do You Sleep?

Diana February 16, 2010

Parfait looks great!
I sleep on my stomach or side. I can’t sleep on my back!
I like only one pillow. I never wake up during the night. I get about 7 or 8 hours of sleep per night!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope February 16, 2010

I tend to sleep on my side, get the best oxygenation/blood flow that way. I usually wake up once or am waken up by my cat. On days of work, I try to get 7.5-8 hours, but it is hard since I wake up at 4am. On days off, I let myself sleep and I wake up by 7-8am. I function best on 10 hours of sleep which is when my body will wake up naturally. I love sleep

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope February 16, 2010

woken

megan February 16, 2010

that parfait looks so good. your nut butters always look delicious! I really need to try new ones.

I’ve been getting headaches for awhile now and I’m starting to wonder if it’s the way I sleep? Maybe I need more neck support?

Heather (Where's the Beach) February 16, 2010

That parfait looks great. Perfect reward for 5 1-miles on the treadmill! I sleep on my stomach and need flatter pillows. I try to get 8.5-9 hours of sleep. I wake up many times throughout the night unfortunately.

ashley February 16, 2010

I love your love of layers!!

I usually curl up into a small little ball and take up a very small amount of space when I sleep. Usually on my side and I like to get about 7-8 hours. I am a GOOD sleeper and can usually fall asleep very quickly even with noise or light or in a weird place

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 16, 2010

lol– you and I are almost sleep opposites! I’m always sleeping on my side, and I can’t STAND really high pillows :-)

But, I also wake up usually once during the night (have to pee!), and I get between 7-8 hours a night.

Have a great day!

Kristin February 16, 2010

The parfait looks great, how many servings is it?

whitney dargle February 16, 2010

I really like the idea of breaking up a treadmill run with water breaks! I usually sleep from 10pm to 5am, about 7 hours. Always on my side with one arm under the pillow and one knee up on a pillow at my side :)

Christie @ Honoring Health February 16, 2010

That parfait looks awesome!

I sleep on my side with lots of pillows and I still have my strawberry shortcake pillow case that I can’t sleep without. I know, how embarrassing!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 16, 2010

Gorgeous parfait, and i gotta say, i love the 250 lb bag of oats :)

I sleep on my right side on two pillows. One is pretty flat and the other has a foam insert in it for neck support.

La February 16, 2010

Ohhhhh wow that parfait looks gorg. If I hadn’t already had breakfast, I’d probably make that now. Tomorrow!

I’m a side-sleeper. Generally sleep on my right side, halfway onto my stomach, with two pillows and possibly hugging a third. I don’t know…I’m a weird sleeper.

Shannon (The Daily Balance) February 16, 2010

so funny to hear how others sleep. i CANNOT sleep on my back — ugh! thinking of it almost gives me anxiety – I’m always on my side or stomach.

Carolyn February 16, 2010

I sleep however I feel like that night, on my back, on my left side, on my stomach. I usually have to wake up to pee at least once. Lately, I also may be woken up by a puppy who needs to go out.

Marcia February 16, 2010

That workout looks good! I may have to try your trick. I am so over running on the treadmill, I can’t stand it anymore. I am training for a 10-miler and a half, and either need to get back to the treadmill or get serious about lunchtime runs at work.

Alas, today I am home with a sick kid, so I am a slug.

I am for 8 hours of sleep, I sleep all over, but mostly half side/half stomach with one leg out and hugging my pillow. I often need lots of pillow height, so about 1 time a week I end up on the couch.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers February 16, 2010

I can ONLY sleep on my stomach- I have no idea what I’m going to do when it comes time to have kids haha. I wake up at least 2-3 times to go to the bathroom. Oh and I can’t sleep with a pillow at ALL. I need lots of sleep- usually 8-9 hours!

Madeline @ Greens and Jeans February 16, 2010

I definitely sleep best on my stomach. When I was in high school I tore a disc in my back and had to sleep in this weird pose on my back for almost two months and it drove me CRAZY!

Danielle (Coffee Run) February 16, 2010

Your parfaits look SO tempting ;) I have to try one!
I would not be able to function if I didn’t get at least 8 hours of sleep. And I can only sleep on my back too!

Jocelyn February 16, 2010

hey girl. brekkie looks FAB .. yum yum.
Have you ever thoguht about selling your stuff at st jacobs market?? They got A LOT of people!!!

I usually get 8-9 hours of sleep per night (wake up at 6)
I always sleep on my tummy…

Mellissa February 16, 2010

I am a stomach sleeper and need a pillow I can “squish” to get comfortable. Sleep is such a challenge for me!

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 16, 2010

I know it’s not the best for my spine and all that but I love sleeping on my stomach, with a really flat or sometimes no pillow. I try to sleep other ways but when I wake up, I’m always that way. Also when I wake up, a parfait like that would be perfect! ;)

Becky @ flybynyght February 16, 2010

I sleep on my side, back and stomach all in the same night! As for the title of your post, whenever I ask my husband that, he says “with my eyes closed.” :)

skinnyrunner February 16, 2010

i like to sleep on my stomach with one leg bent but my physical therapist said it was bad for my hips. bummer.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 16, 2010

I sleep with 2-3 pillows TOOO!! Pretty much on an incline too. People (even my parents) think I’m crazy. I have to though, especially during allergy season or else I wake up feeling icky. Now I’m so used to it I could never sleep on a ‘flat’ surface!

Majl February 16, 2010

How long does it take you to go through the 13 poses?

Leena February 16, 2010

your parfaits look sooo yummy!
i usually switch between sleeping on my back or stomach – i’ve never been able to sleep on my back… and i usually use 2 pillows. i like a little height but not too much. i usually get around 7-8 hours of sleep, but i do wake up a lot during the night.. i wish i could change that :/

Salina February 16, 2010

I would usually be in bed for about 8-9hours a night. Sleeping is a whole different matter tho.. I would usually wake up on average 10-15+ times, that I am aware of — drives me freaking crazy!! I have googled a lot on this tho and tested a few things out, and found that I wake up considerably less if i drink HEAPS of water throughout the day, and have a glass by my bed at night, and if i take a calcium/magnesium/iron supplement.. the Magnesium helps my muscles to “settle” and i don’t get restless legs.

thedelishdish February 16, 2010

that parfait looks great!! another great use for chia!! i cant believe you sleep on 2-3 pillows!! im a flat pillow type of gal & get neck issues when my head is too elevated! i love my sleep tho and in a perfect world would be getting 8 hrs every night :)

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place February 16, 2010

I sleep on my side, with my legs basically open like scissors. I take up the entire queen sized bed! I’m a light sleeper so the slightest noise wakes me up, but I can fall back asleep within 30 seconds. I’m out the second my head hits the pillow!

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyl February 16, 2010

i sleep on my right side in the fetal position with a little height in my pillows but not too much. I don’t move much unless I’m having a crazy dream which doesn’t happen often. That parfait looks amazing!!!!!!

Sophie @ yumventures February 16, 2010

Hi Angela! I wanted to tell you that I had my first green monster this morning!! I have been dying to try them, but just never did, and this morning I told myself “this is it, time to get going!” It tasted way better than I thought! I used the first-timer recipe from your green monster website, and just wanted to say thank you! I’m going to try having one for breakfast all week and see how it goes :)
~Sophie

Anna February 16, 2010

The Oatmeal Parfait looks delicious!!

I’m so jealous of everyone who can fully function/feel rested on 7 hours of sleep. ;-) I try to get 8 hours every night; but I feel best when I can sleep 9 hours. I usually fall asleep quite well, but am a very sensitive sleeper (=wake up easily), so maybe that affects the total amount of sleep I need..? I sleep on my side – typically left side – and could not imagine sleeping on my stomach.

Megan – headaches could be caused by a pillow that is too high, too. I recently bought a new pillow, and after a week, had to take some of the filling out because my head, neck and shoulders were so sore. As soon as the pillow was a little flatter, the headaches stopped. It might be an idea to try sleeping a few nights with different pillows (higher/lower, harder/softer..) to see if that helps.

Ameena February 16, 2010

I sleep for 7-8 hours a night. One minute more than 8 hours and I feel gross the entire day! I usually don’t wake up at night, unless the hubby decides to snore in me ear. And then I wake up for a second to kick him out and continue sleeping like a baby!

Estela @ Weekly Bite February 16, 2010

I like sleeping with tons of pillows, I sleep on my back, and I would like to get 8 hours of sleep… having a baby makes that tough sometimes.

Jenn @ Livewellfit February 16, 2010

Breakfast looks absolutely delish, as always my dear! :)

I’m a quirky sleeper. Used to always sleep on my stomach until I hurt my back so I no longer do that.

So…I’m always on my back, arms above my head for some reason. At least 2 pillows that aren’t mushy but not hard. I’m a specific sleeper I guess.

Natasha February 16, 2010

I sleep any which way, just not on my left side. Weird I know, but it makes my stomach go crazy. In general I start out on my right side or belly, and end up on my back. Someone told me it was not possible that I didn’t have a regular way to sleep, but then my fiance backed me up. He said every night it’s different.

Breakfast looks delish :-)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman February 16, 2010

That parfait looks awesome. I sleep on my back, too. I wish I could use a couple pillows because it helps me breathe better (stuffy nose) but it also gives me a wicked neck ache. Instead I use one memory foam pillow (covered in allergy cases before a pillow case). I usually sleep 7 hours, but that’s not nearly enough for me.

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com February 16, 2010

Gorgeous breakfast!!
I’m jealous that you’re able to sleep on your back, I’ve heard many times that it is the best way. It’s good for alignment. I’ve tried to do it more frequently, what helps is a pillow underneath my knees so that I don’t arch my back at all.
Have you been able to maintain going to bed earlier or do you still consider yourself more of a night owl?

Paige @ Running Around Normal February 16, 2010

Great tempo run! Breaking up the miles makes it so much easier, I agree.
I wish I slept on my back, but I’m a side and stomach sleeper. I can’t help it, I just roll over that way!

Jil February 16, 2010

I have no clue how I sleep…haha I think I’m all over the place. I wanna say my side though. Love the breakfast!!

Kristen February 16, 2010

Hey Angela!

Quick question about morning workouts. I’m trying to start doing them because of my class schedule, but I always seem to move at 1/2 speed compared to when I work out in the evening or afternoon. Is this never a problem for you? If it is, how do you fight it?

Ellen February 16, 2010

I’m still working towards a 9 to 5 sleep schedule, but I try to get 7 or 8 hours….I sleep on all sides and use a pillow unles I’m on my stomach, then I throw the pillow on the floor…and I can’t stand to sleep in PJs–it all comes off! (can i say that?!)

Page 1 of 3123»