Thank You Black Eyed Peas!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 3, 2010

You know what they say…

IMG_8921

The harder a fruit is to open, the better it tastes?

IMG_8922 IMG_8924

Let’s sure hope so…

IMG_8934

Behold, the Red Pummelo fruit.

IMG_8918

As part of the Exotic Fruit Experimentation, I knew I had to try out this fruit. The Pummelo is the largest of all citrus fruits.

IMG_8919 IMG_8920

"There are three varieties of pummelo: white, pink and red. Not surprisingly, the pink and red varieties are sweeter than the white which has a slightly acidic taste.

It has a very thick peel and yellow, pink or red pulp. The pummelo, also known as the shaddock, is often confused with the grapefruit. It is sweeter and much less acidic than regular grapefruit. The pummelo is a big, heavy citrus fruit that contains numerous seeds and is covered with a thick skin. Pummelos can vary from round to pear-shaped with rind texture from smooth to pebbly."

[Source]

Not surprisingly, Pummelos are an excellent source of Vitamin C, which makes them great for cold and flu season.

If you want a peeling tutorial see this video:

IMG_8926

I discovered that each segment was covered in yet another skin! It was so fun to peel it back.

IMG_8930 IMG_8932

The taste?

I was surprised, it is actually a delicious fruit! I was expecting it to taste very acidic like a grapefruit, but I was pleased to find that it tasted somewhere in between an orange, ugli fruit, and a grapefruit! Very delicious. :)

If you ever spot a Pummelo you should try it out. They are really fun! I am going to blend the other half in my Green Monster after my workout this morning.

~~~~

Whittle My Middle 2

Many of you have been asking me about the Boat Pose for Whittle My Middle 2!

You can do the boat pose a couple of ways (if not more):

1) Simply hold the position for as long as you can (shown left)

2) Do reps. This is what I do. I bring my knees into my chest (shown right) and move them back into the original boat pose (shown left) without letting my feet touch the ground. This is one rep. I repeat for about 20 reps. My feet never touch the ground for the entire duration. I find this works the core better than simply holding it because it challenges your body to balance while moving.

IMG_8215 IMG_8216

I love this workout!

Don’t forget you can see all the exercises on the Abs page as well as follow my workout each day.

Eric is still doing great! Something that I didn’t expect was that doing WMM2 together has actually been a fun bonding experience! Because we are doing it together (and suffering together) we make it more fun. We’re always being goofy and laughing out heads off. This time has been MUCH more fun than last time when I did it alone! I encourage you to find a victim partner too! ;)

Anyone else doing WMM2 with a victim?

~~~~

CTV Interview

Thank you, Black Eyed Peas! ;) I have been eating this damn soup around the clock this week.

Twenty Ten is off to a great start already…

You can view the interview in HD on the CTV Toronto website today until 6pm EST. My story is the 6th one down called, ‘A Recipe for Online Success’

Or on You Tube below:

So happy! :D

Yes, you heard right, they called me Andrea!!! I’ve been called worse, I guess… ;)

I was thrilled to finally see it air and to be honest I was quite shocked that they aired it given that it was a holiday story. I think my persistence paid off. If there is one thing I have learned in 2009, it is that you don’t get anything unless you ask and sometimes you have to ask many, many times. There is no shame in asking for what you want…if you want something, go out and GET IT! :)

[My apologies for OSG and Glo Bakery going down briefly last night- it was the heavy traffic I assume.]

~~~~

Off to workout, Whittle My Middle, bake, and then going to visit some family for a very late lunch and to exchange Christmas gifts!

Enjoy your Sunday :)

Angela_Signature

So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key.
The Eagles

Jordan @ Salt Sweat Sugar January 3, 2010 at 11:17 am

I’ve always wanted to try one of those. Hrmmm.

The Hot and Fit January 3, 2010 at 11:19 am

I love citrus fruit! I used to hate grapefruit for example, but now I love it!

*Andrea* January 3, 2010 at 11:22 am

that’s so funny that you were called andrea because when i introduce myself people always end up calling me angela!!! haha. anyways great video nevertheless. that fruit looks cool – i’lldefinitely check it out!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2010 at 11:24 am

maybe we were switched at birth? hehe

Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) January 3, 2010 at 11:23 am

AMAZING interview! You should go out and celebrate again! Also, did they call you Andrea? Anyway, I think I’m going to ask my bf to play victim for the challenge as I have already started dreading it. (I tend to dread hard exercise.) Good news it, I am already sore in the ab region. Again, congrats.

Danielle (Coffee Run) January 3, 2010 at 11:24 am

Congrats on your interview being aired!! It looked so good :)
I’ve seen a pummelo fruit a few times…I’ll have pick one up next time I see it!

Estela @ Weekly Bite January 3, 2010 at 11:25 am

That fruit looks so much like a grapefruit!

LOVED the interview! You were so great in it!!

Niki (Running in Pink) January 3, 2010 at 11:25 am

Oh my gosh congratulations! You looked and sounded great during your interview! I’m so glad it *finally* aired. :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope January 3, 2010 at 11:27 am

What a neat fruit Angela! I’ve never actually seen it before. I’m not a big fan of grapefruit, so I’m glad to hear it tastes a little less acidic. Can’t wait to hear how it tastes in a green smoothie!

Congrats on that interview!!! :)

xxoo
Heather

Kath January 3, 2010 at 11:29 am

Congrats Ange!! I had no idea the Glo Bakery was so successful already!!

Erin January 3, 2010 at 11:34 am

great interview!!! so glad it FINALLY aired :)

Clare January 3, 2010 at 11:37 am

Looked fantastic!! Hopefully this gets you tons more business:)

Heather January 3, 2010 at 11:37 am

Fantastic interview Ange! You did terrific and i couldnt even tell you were ever nervous.

Christina January 3, 2010 at 11:38 am

I love the video. I’m so happy your bakery is doing so well!!

claiee January 3, 2010 at 11:42 am

Yay! Saw the interview!! You looked great… Very professional:-) cc

Mrs. Money January 3, 2010 at 11:46 am

YAY! you look GREAT in that interview! Congrats on your success!

xoxo

Maggie January 3, 2010 at 11:47 am

Congrats! It’s a great story! You were wonderful!

Ameena January 3, 2010 at 11:49 am

Congratulations on your interview being aired! You look and sound very professional!

Stepfanie January 3, 2010 at 11:49 am

Ange,
This interview looked great. You looked professional, and it was a great boost for your business.

But, I am seriously disappointed in the professionalism of that reporter. As a journalist, getting someone’s name wrong is a cardinal sin. You should either call her or–better yet–her editor. Be very insistent that you want it corrected for the online version. I don’t want to be a party-pooper because, again, you sounded/looked amazing, but she needs to be held accountable for her glaring mistake.

Happy New Year!
Stepf

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I heard that they got my name wrong when it aired in BC…and I asked them to fix it, to which they said they would. But it fell through the cracks. I honestly don’t think that they would ever change it now. I’m just focusing on the positives that came of it and not the error on their part! Its a shame, but not going to make or break my happiness about the interview. :)

Stepfanie January 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm

That’s good to know! You looked and sounded great. I’m just appalled that they couldn’t be bothered to change it. I’m sure that the Canadian media are feeling the pinch the same way the US media are; too few people are doing too many jobs.

Katie January 3, 2010 at 11:50 am

Thanks for the more clear description of boat pose! :)

supersu January 3, 2010 at 11:55 am

nice job on the interview….you looked/sounded great!

sounds like things are going well…..if you ever need staff for an alberta office let me know ;)

happy new year

Lauren @ Reading and Running January 3, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Congratulations on the interview!! It was great and I’m so glad it finally aired!! Great things are still to come for you my dear!

Jessie (Vegan-minded) January 3, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Great interview, Angela! You look beautiful and surprisingly relaxed. :) Congrats on all of your success!

'Dee January 3, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Oooh, shame on that reporter! And where were their fact checkers? I have been interviewed in the past and almost got irritated by how many times they confirmed my info, now I’m glad they were so thorough!

Nonetheless, I’m still so happy they aired it – you looked great, sounded assured, and it’s fabulous press for your business.

Congrats, Ange! Way to show that persistence pays off.

Lesley Lifting Life January 3, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Awesome interview, Angela!! Yahoo! :)

Gina G January 3, 2010 at 12:22 pm

you did a wonderful A-n-g-e-l-a, congrats! =)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 3, 2010 at 12:25 pm

LOVE the interview girl!!! Great job!!! :)

lisa January 3, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Great interview! Your hair looks fantastic…you sound very professional. I bet the traffic on your sites doubles!
Congrats!!
Lisa

lena January 3, 2010 at 12:27 pm

congrats on your interview! totally cool! glad you like the pummelo too! it’s one of my fav fruits and i put them in my salad sometimes.. very refreshing. here we tend to make desserts with them like pummelo, mango pudding.. chilled.. they are very tasty, coz of the zing it gives to the otherwise sweet dessert!

Morgan January 3, 2010 at 12:29 pm

CONGRATS!! i’m so happy that your interview aired. I hope it brings in loads of business for you!

Amelia January 3, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Congrats on the interview!!! Way to go!
I have never heard of a pummelo. I’ll have to keep an eye out for them. I’m sure I passed one before and just thought it was a weird grapefruit. ;)

Denise January 3, 2010 at 12:36 pm

It is funny that you would do a tutorial on Pummelo’s today. I was at the nail salon yesterday and one of the ladies was eating a fruit like a grapefruit. She had cut it in half and was eating it like that, I knew it wasn’t a grapefruit though. NOW I know what it was!

Also, my son and I went to the mall yesterday. While waiting at a stoplight, I was kind of rocking side to side at my waist and then I started twisting my upper torso. He looked at me like I was crazy and asked what the heck I was doing. I said “Why Whittling my middle, of course!” Needless to say, he asked me to stop!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 3, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Great job!!! Andrea! ;) hhehe

I think I am going to start whittle my middle today!! EEK!! :)

Nicole- Geek Turned Athlete January 3, 2010 at 12:42 pm

You looked great on TV! Congrats!! All your hard work definitely paid off!! ;)

MarathonVal January 3, 2010 at 12:45 pm

You did awesome Angela! Congrats girl you deserve it :) :)

Asta January 3, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Hi Five Angela!

Rachel January 3, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Congrats on the interview finally airing! The pumelo looks really good, but I’m not sure where I’d find it. My local grocery store definitely doesn’t have it… whole foods, maybe?

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) January 3, 2010 at 1:04 pm

We just bought an enormous pommelo last night! It weighed 4 pounds!! My mom ate them growing up so she gets them for us a lot.

La January 3, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Ahh I LOVE pomelo! A few years ago my family and I went pomelo picking in Israel! They’re super expensive over here, no? I never like to buy them in America because I’ve tasted them in Israel and in Thailand and the sad, dried up, imported version never does the fresh version justice, but they’re fabulous anyway.

Carbzilla January 3, 2010 at 1:19 pm

OMG – sooooo excited it finally aired. I didn’t realize the story was so wrapped with online shopping, so even more remarkable that they aired it now.

Oy, the name thing. Hope you can shake that one off.

We went to the mall yesterday and drove around for an hour trying to find parking (I’ve NEVER had to do that there) so people (women) are taking advantage of sales!

Continued success!

Berta January 3, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Hooray! You look great on tv, keep up the good work! :D

Sam (from sgp) January 3, 2010 at 1:31 pm

congrats angela! You looked so confident and natural in the interview. =D

Radha January 3, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Congrats on the interview. Saw it on YT.
Black eyed peas and prayer win! Yes, I pray for your success :)
Thanks for the modifications to the bow. I am on day 3 too Yea!

Rhonda January 3, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I tried that fruit the other day! Lot’s of work to get to eat it but it was fantastic!

Bridget January 3, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Fabulous job on the interview. I love the part where you say “I’m just making a new flavour” lol :P

Tracey January 3, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I’ve never heard of that fruit. I really like the idea of trying the more exotic fruits.

Mary @ fit this, girl! January 3, 2010 at 2:35 pm

What a WONDERFUL Segment on the CTV for you!! I am so glad they actually aired it and you looked great, here’s to hoping it keeps going up and up! :)

rungirlrunn January 3, 2010 at 2:42 pm

What a wonderful interview!!! I can’t believe they got your name wrong though, how silly!

Angie (Losing It and Loving It) January 3, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Great news segment! Too bad they got your name wrong. Best wishes to you in 2010.

Allison January 3, 2010 at 3:14 pm

congrats on the interview finally. too bad they couldn’t get the name right! thats so silly. especially after being so persistant and asking them so many times when it will air, you think they’d know your name by now lol

Heidi January 3, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Pomelos are tasty, congrats on venturing out into the exotic fruit land! Yummy! If you come across dragonfruit, you have to give it a try!

I loved your interview, bummer that they got your name wrong, but still a great interview. Congratulations!

emily - eatventures January 3, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Congrats on your interview, you look beautiful ANGELA!

Cath January 3, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I’m so pleased your story aired! Hopefully it will bring in lots of new customers for you.

Lisa January 3, 2010 at 3:45 pm

oooooh those fruit look so interesting…I will have to try one (if I can find one!!!)
Congrats on the interview…you are a natural!!!

One Healthy Apple January 3, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Congrats! You deserve all this success for your hard work and persistence!

Holly January 3, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I can’t believe they messed up your name! My goodness! It was a really great interview though. Hiring an assistant? How cool!

Gracie January 3, 2010 at 3:54 pm

WOOOHOOO! Congrats on the interview, girl! You looked great ;)

I’m definitely going to have to try pummelo. I’ve never been a huge fan of the tartness of grapefruit, so I’d be interested to see if I can find a fruit with the yummy taste of grapefruit minus the acidity. Where do you think I can find these??

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) January 3, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Great job Angela! You were fantastic on the interview, and what a great way to start the New Year!

Lauren January 3, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Yay, congrats Andrea! haha, oh well! :P

And you’re right- we need to go after what we want! :)

Courtney January 3, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Andrea! JK! Angela – you’re a celebrity! :] CONGRATS ON ALL OF YOUR HARD WORK and how well it has all paid off. What an inspiration.

Rebekah January 3, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Sorry they got your name wrong! Good for you for focusing on the positive, but still….

“Everyone” calls me Deborah all the time; it makes me so angry! :)

Jenny January 3, 2010 at 4:40 pm

So exciting!! Congrats :)

Brynn January 3, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Congratulations Angela! I’m so glad they aired your interview! woohoo

Alisha N January 3, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I used to live in the Philippines, and pummelos were the only kind of citrus fruit I remember eating. They do take a while to peel, but they’re so worth it!

Eric January 3, 2010 at 6:47 pm

yes they are SO worth it…I just wish they weren’t so expensive here!

Christy January 3, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I’m doing whittle my middle with my mom! It’s lots of fun together… and it keeps us on track!

FrecklesFreeze January 3, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Congrats on CTV interview being aired!!
If you don’t mind working remotely, I would love to work for your bakery :)

Eliana >^..^ January 3, 2010 at 5:25 pm

OMG I am so excited for you! I am glad they finally aired the interview, you looked stunningly beautiful.:O)

Went to the fresh market today and will be trying out some new roots vegetables that I had never seen before, but sounded so good. ;O) That fruit sounded awesome.

BTW, one thing you could do is hire people to sell your bars at different fresh markets around North America. I could sell them in Miami’s fresh market LOL ;O) Hint, hint. LOL

Hugs!!

Leah January 3, 2010 at 5:41 pm

YAY! Im glad they finally aired your interview! You were great!

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind January 3, 2010 at 5:45 pm

YES! Congratulations, Andrea! I mean, Angela! ;)

Audrey January 3, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Yay for your interview!!!! SO excited for you. :D

Thanks for the great demo of the boat pose. Looks really simple–yet challenging. I’ll definitely try that.

Lindsey January 3, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Congrats, Angela! So great to finally see it. Shame on CTV but don’t let it get you down! You looked great! Finding your website has been so helpful in getting my healthy eating back on track! Thanks so much and your bars are the best. I have no doubt you will continue to be successful in 2010.

Red Head, Yellow Dog January 3, 2010 at 6:02 pm

great interview!!! that’s so awesome!!

what’s also awesome: got my non-exercising boyfriend to do whittle my middle with me today! hopefully this will continue :) after the first exercise he was like “this is great!” but after about the third he was like “how many more damn…I mean awesome..exercises do we have left?!” bwahahaha! baby steps :)

Eric January 3, 2010 at 6:46 pm

hahah I know Eric and I are always like…omg we still have 2 left!!! never ending ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 3, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Aw, yay!!! I’m so glad they aired it!

Mary January 3, 2010 at 6:12 pm

What a wonderful interview! You looked and sounded great :D

Angela (oh she glows) January 3, 2010 at 6:48 pm

OOPS just realized I was replying to comments in ERIC’s name…hehe…;)

Audrey January 3, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Looks like OSGMOM made the cut…twice. haha.

Tamara January 3, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Congrats! You were great in your interview. There’s only more to come. :)

MB January 3, 2010 at 7:25 pm

The interview was great and I’m so happy it finally aired.

I just can’t believe they got your NAME wrong. Who was doing the fact checking there? Didn’t they look at your website? Makes you wonder what other facts the news gets wrong everyday.

I guess my letter to Santa worked. I’m have no doubt 2010 is going to be a booming year for Oh She Glows. Enjoy!

Jenn January 3, 2010 at 10:42 pm

My thoughts exactly. If they can’t get a girls name right…what else contains errors.

Regardless Ange, the important message got out there – your website. Congratulations on a great interview. I hope the exposure brings even MORE followers to your blog and lovers of your bars!!!

Jenny January 3, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Congrats on getting your interview out there! About time! ;)

I coaxed my mom into Whittling Her Middle with me today! She loved it, even though she thought it was tough! I encouraged her to keep it up through the end of the month to get stronger.

Kelly January 3, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I am so glad the interview aired finally! I definitely agree that asking for something always helps you get it. Congrats!

Kasey January 3, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Congrats Angela!!! Awesome job on the interview :)

Susan January 3, 2010 at 10:13 pm

You did a great job in that interview!! I love all the shots they got of you “working” and of you being “natural.” Of course, the reporter in me is appalled they got your name wrong. If I were the reporter/producer for that story, I’d be really embarrassed about that!

Did some of the WMM2 moves the other day. Plank ups are killer. I hate them already (which is actually a good thing ;) )

Andrea January 3, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Oh, honey…my name is Andrea and my sister’s name is Angela. My mom always called us by each others names by accident and even people who don’t know me or my sister call me Angela. Too weird. Great video, though! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2010 at 10:48 pm

lol :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 4, 2010 at 12:47 am

oh no . . . I missed it. I was trying to make dinner, entertain, and run to the bedroom to see if it was on all at the same time . . . I was worried it wasn’t. But lucky I was wrong . . . hooray and congratulations!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 4, 2010 at 12:52 am

If I lived near you I would totally apply to be your assistant! Glad you got your moment of fame on CTV. 900,000 views/month – wow! Help me =)

Sana January 4, 2010 at 1:17 am

At least they got the name of your bakery right! Wow you are really busy- you do need some help! Are your arms sore at all from all that mixing and baking?!!?

Chelsea January 4, 2010 at 2:09 am

Pummelos are SO good. My Mom’s friend used to have a tree and we’d get HUGE boxes every year for free. It makes me sad now that I have to pay for them.

Angela January 4, 2010 at 2:47 am

That’s was an awesome interview! Congrats to you! You deserve it you are such a hard worker!

Milca January 4, 2010 at 3:46 am

Wow what a great interview, Andrea : ) I didn’t know your business was doing so well. Congratulations Angela. You deserve it. Your an inspiration to all off us.

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 4, 2010 at 9:25 am

Wow I’ve never even heard of that fruit! Looks cool:)
Great boat pose. That’s awesome you have Eric doing it with ya.
I watched the interview – you were great! So glad they aired it!

Kristie January 4, 2010 at 9:57 am

When I studied in Argentina there was pomelo juice everywhere! No orange juice, no grapefruit juice, just pomelo :) It was good!

Diana January 4, 2010 at 10:28 am

GREAT INTERVIEW! I’m so glad we finally got to see it. Congrats! I bet the orders are a rollin’ in now!
Diana

rhodeygirl January 4, 2010 at 10:39 am

Congrats on the interview!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie January 4, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I had a pomelo last year and thought it tasted sort of like a sweet lemon. It was delicious and HUGE! It took me a long time to be able to finish but I so did. hehe

Mo January 4, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Yea!!! Thanks for the boat pose info. I actually know that pose, but had no idea what it was called.

I showed my husband a bunch of WMM exercises yesterday and he said that he would do them with me. That will be much more fun! :)

Congrats on the interview, it was great! A fabulous start to 2010!

Erin January 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Must. Try. Pummelo. Looks like a lot of work with a nice reward.

Carolyn January 4, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I know I’m getting a late start, but I think I’m gonna do Whittle my Middle II starting tonight!

Fattie Fatterton January 4, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Congrats “Andrea”!! Oy!1 But you looked great and sounded great!

I wish I lived near you – I would totally want to be your assistant. I helped another friend of mine with his online business a few years ago – I did all of his customer service. But he didn’t have an inventory to monitor – I’m sure you’re looking for someone to help package the goods and all.

Jolene January 6, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I am so glad your interview aired!!! You must have felt so happy!!!

That sucks they call you Andrea … but at least you got some pretty wicked exposure!!!

Good for you Angela!!

Laura Georgina January 7, 2010 at 9:48 am

Congrats on the interview, even if it was Andrea that got the credit! The word is out and CTV will look mighty foolish once people click over to you and see your real name.

Wish the husband did WMM with me like Eric does with you! Carnival is just six weeks away and he is completely unfazed at going shirtless and smushy-bellied in front of thousands… Wish I had his confidence but, until then, I’ll take my better-than-his abs ;-)

Marianne January 19, 2010 at 2:12 am

Good to see they FINALLY aired it in Ontario. I saw that back when I was studying for exams! Can’t believe they never fixed the Andrea thing.

We sell a ton of Pomelos at work. I’ve yet to try one though.