Swamp Water Please

img 2310 thumb   Swamp Water Please

I had breakfast and lunch with a leftover wedding favour tag. :) Words of truth, I tell ya!

Yesterday was a crazy carb day. When I get little sleep (Friday night I only got 5 hours!), I crave carbs in a major way all day long. I pretty much only ate bread, cereal, and crap (cookies!!!!) all day yesterday. So when I got up for this morning’s run, I knew my glycogen stores were FULL to say the least! lol.

I had a tall glass of water along with some Swamp Water as I like to call it (Amazing Grass Wheat Grass Powder + H20). Eric laughs, because I asked him to mix me a drink and he asks me what kind, and I say ‘Swamp Water please’. :D

It’s not gross in a bitter way, just in a ‘I’m drinking wheatgrass powder and nothing else’ sort of way. The only thing I don’t mind about it is that it isn’t bitter in the slightest bit. I have been drinking the wheatgrass + H20 concoction for a couple months now so I am really used to the taste and actually prefer it to water! It only has 30 cals per scoop but a load of vitamins and minerals. Eric even tried it and he said it wasn’t that bad. He would never drink this though, don’t be fooled.

img 2297 thumb   Swamp Water Please

I actually am planning on growing my own wheat grass soon too. Has anyone done this before?

img 2298 thumb   Swamp Water Please

I knew I needed tons of liquids before my run today. It was only 9am, but it was super hot outside and not a cloud in the sky. I brought along a small running water bottle (it only holds 5 oz so it really doesn’t do much). I still want to test out a Camelbak water pack…

I also had a homemade power gel concoction that I made which I will be revealing in the next day!

Today was also my long run. My half marathon is in 41 days!!!! That will come up so very soon I’m sure!

The run:

• Distance: 7.60 miles
  • Duration: 1 hour 14 mins.
  • Max heart rate: 170 bpm
  • Avg Heart rate: 153 bpm
  • Avg pace: 9:48 min/mile

This run was a challenge due to the extreme heat. I must have stopped at least 10 times to walk to make sure that I didn’t get heat exhaustion. I walk in the shade when I can and it helps me cool down a bit. I was quite happy with my time considering I probably walked 10 minutes out of the entire run. I am actually doing some research on the Galloway Method and I will be doing a hot topic post on it shortly.

My shower felt sooooo good when I got home!

I immediately had a big bowl of Nature’s Path Flax Plus Cereal + 2 T Chia Seeds:

img 2301 thumb   Swamp Water Please

To say that I am obsessed with chia seeds is a huge understatement! At first I was a bit grossed out by the texture of them when wet, but now I love it. Smooth and gel-like! I will be doing a special post on a new chia power gel I made in the next day.

img 2299 thumb   Swamp Water Please

Not long after the cereal, I had an early lunch!

We have next to no food in the house right now since we haven’t been grocery shopping yet. I broke down and had a spicy SOL burger (I hate these!). They never crisp up like other veggie burgers do. At any rate, I still managed to scarf it down, haha. I had it with a whole grain wrap, 1 medium tomato and balsamic vinaigrette.

img 2309 thumb   Swamp Water Please

It was messy, but finger licking good!!

img 2313 thumb   Swamp Water Please

I actually didn’t mind this SOL burger much in this wrap. I was OK, I guess.

img 2314 thumb   Swamp Water Please

I also tried a new drink that I got on Clearance at Shoppers Drug Mart!

img 2303 thumb   Swamp Water Please

You’ve probably noticed that I never buy bottled drinks…ever! This one actually had a simple ingredient list though so I gave it a try.

Ingredients: Water, organic cane sugar, natural flavours, organic green tea, citric acid, ascorbic acid.

img 2304 thumb   Swamp Water Please

I was SO pleased with the taste of this drink! It had just a tiny, tiny hint of sweetness. My biggest reason why I don’t buy bottled drinks is because they have a bunch of crap in them and way too much sugar. This one was a nice surprise! It also only has 110 calories for the whole bottle (not just a 1 cup serving). I would definitely buy this again if I saw it on the road.

img 2302 thumb   Swamp Water Please

Now I am enjoying a peach and a Sencha loose leaf green tea + Tazo Green Tea:

img 2276 thumb   Swamp Water Please

Eric and I have been busy working on the Zen Cart + Canada Post shipping tool/Shopping cart. Man, it is so much work!!! We are currently testing out the shipping tool to make sure that it is properly integrating with my Venture One account with Canada Post. I am getting so excited because we are getting SO CLOSE to US shipping I can almost taste it!!!!!!

I have a couple orders to bake today and then we are celebrating Eric’s birthday with the family tonight. We’re going out to Kelsey’s for dinner. It will be fun to spend some time with everyone! Stay tuned for all the pictures.

angela signature thumb39   Swamp Water Please

I’m thinking about getting a new cell phone (I have an ancient blackberry right now)- any suggestions on what I should go with? iphone? Blackberry Curve?

Jocelyn August 16, 2009

ahhh I love jones organics (especially the white cherry) I believe it’s called..not sure. So good! I also love the sol burgers! I have em in my freezer..must dig out ;) I have never grown wheatgrass before but I’m sure my boyfriend has..I should ask him about it! I’ll get back to ya ;)

Faith August 16, 2009

I’m the same way, when I don’t get enough sleep I crave carbs like crazy!

It looks like you had a fabulous run! Enjoy the rest of your day!

Shannon The Healthy Beach Bum August 16, 2009

The cereal with chia looks so good! I still have yet to try those gelly little seeds :)

Bree August 16, 2009

BLACKBERRY STORM!!! :-D

Danielle August 16, 2009

Oh carbs.. glad you found your balance with swamp water :) I have a few Amazing Grass samples yet but I’m kind of scared to try it with solely h20, ha, and I don’t want to waste it. Hopefully soon.

I am so excited to be able to order from your bakery soon, yay for US shipping! Good luck!

Maureen August 16, 2009

Hi Angela,
What do you use to monitor your runs? My daughter has taken up running and I would like to get her one for her birthday.

kristi (sweet cheeks) August 16, 2009

I love amazing grass wheat grass! Its so weird, because I would have never thought I would be drinking/eating all the things I consume on a daily basis!!

Mmmm chia seeds! Love ‘em, too.

Hope you have a great day!

Nina August 16, 2009

I love Chia seeds too! I used some in my Kitchen Sink Oatmeal this morning.

As for the phone, you would probably like the iPhone. do it!

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 16, 2009

Nice job on the run, girl! It was super hot during my run too. It’s smart of you to stop and walk a bit.

I personally love my iPhone. My husband actually gets mad because I’m obsessed with it so much!! (He has one, too.) I love, love, love it!

April August 16, 2009

I LOVE swamp water…simple and yummy. I also am in LOVE with chia seeds as well. I love when they become little gel balls :D Plus they keep me regular.

I have the LG Voyageur and really like it.

Michelle Hisae August 16, 2009

Isn’t it the best when you find little reminders like that? Sometimes they come at the most unexpected, but necessary, times.

Michelle Gay August 16, 2009

I LOVE what Leah did with her students. That’s so creative. Her class seemed like gems.

I-phone. As one of my co-workers put it ‘it was the best investment I have ever made’

Live.Life.Fully ~M

The Running Yogini August 16, 2009

I love the Galloway method. It isn’t for everyone, but its for me! Especially since I have an injurty (neuroma). It really helps me still be able to do what I love (running) and yet avoid overdoing it (with planned walk breaks). I bought wheat grass that was already potted in the produce section and I loved it. It was hard on my magic bullet blender though :-( It tastes palatable. I wouldn’t say good or bad, but I love the energy I get from it! I saw a really neat web site about how to grow your own wheatgrass in mini batches so that you have a little for each day of the week. I will look for it for you when I get a chance. Have a good one :-)

Kristie August 16, 2009

I’ve tried chia seeds once. I need to stock up again, they are so much fun to play with! I made chia holiday pudding… SO good.

I bought those spicy SOL burgers once too… never again. I ate them all but I wasn’t a fan. They’re not too bad crumbled and all mixed up into a salad though.

Iphones are pretty spiff, I’d say look into one of those. I have a Blackberry Curve and it’s just been a big pain in the arse. There are other Blackberry models out there that are pretty good though. However. Iphone = NEAT and SLEEK.

and PS – Happy Birthday to Eric!

Meghan@traveleatlove August 16, 2009

I am a blackberry devotee. I had a curve and now have a pearl which took some getting used to. But I love it!

Renee August 16, 2009

Hi!

I am wondering if you ever make your own salad dressing?

Also, could you please share some slow cooker recipes when you get a chance?

Thank you!

Lizzy August 16, 2009

im obsessed with my blackberry curve!! the iphone im sure would be fun too, but i loveeeee the curve!

Lizzie August 16, 2009

US shipping? Woo- hoo!!!! My brother gave me some chia seeds as a thank you for staying with us . . . whatta guy! Only used them in smoothies so far, but they’re great!

Sana August 16, 2009

I have not heard amazing things abt the iphone, but everyone LOVES a blackberry :)!

Kathy (Moving Beyond Perfection) August 16, 2009

Congrats on your progress with US shipping! I also love gel-like consistency foods, so now I really want to try chia seeds! :)

Laura August 16, 2009

I have got to try these chia seeds :-) They look yummy like poppy seeds, almost. Is the texture similar?

Have a good Sunday evening!

~Laura
LauraMKE.blogspot.com

'Dee August 16, 2009

I just clicked on your halfie link and realized that my IDOL – Joan Benoit – is going to be there! Wow, so seriously jealous, Ange!

Good luck on the halfie – you can rock its socks off, girl :-)

rachel August 16, 2009

iphone! iphone! iphone!!

Love your blog by the way. Found it a few weeks back and I’m really enjoying it.

Dana (www.eatsleepgetfit.com) August 16, 2009

Blackberry Curve!

Courtney August 17, 2009

iPhone. The app store on the iphone is amazing, 40 thousand applications available (and growing) to satisfy anyones needs – applications vary from free to just a few bucks, but they have apps that help you track your water intake, one that tracks your runs, list-makers, todo’s, etc. It’s EASY. Simple. Intuitive. FULL HTML broswer. On a blackberry, you’re going to get a “mobile” version. My iphone displays your blog just like I see it on my Mac.

If you haven’t gone and played with it, you need to. Don’t do a blackberry. They’re cumbersome compared to iPhones. Even the new one. It’s a joke.

Jessica August 17, 2009

hehe wheat grass always makes me think of Nip/Tuck where christian has his wheat grass growing and he drinks it occasionally … lol.
ahhh keep up the work on getting us shipping up! YAY!
-muffy

Suzanne August 17, 2009

let me tell ya– working nights has wreaked havoc on my appetite and it is a daily struggle to not gain weight and eat a bunch of crap!! that said, i cannot wait to order a batch of oh she glows goodies!!! :-)

Jolene August 17, 2009

I have some amazing grass samples coming in my mail – I can’t wait for them to arrive so I can try “swamp water”!!

I love your blog by the way!!

Nae August 17, 2009

Great job with the run! I’m training for a half marathon here in Doha, Qatar… where the coolest it gets is about 90 degrees F, and it inches up to 120 easily. So I understand! What do you do to protect against the heat? And do you own a Garmin to measure your distance?

Thanks for your advice! :)

Olivia August 17, 2009

Hey Angela,

You need to get the Blackberry Curve 8900! iPhones are waaaaaaaaay too gimmicky. Blackberries are for professionals like you and I!

Susan August 17, 2009

I am a HUGE fan of the Galloway method. I’m positive that I can run faster and stronger when I break up my running with walking breaks. Funnily enough, my average pace is always faster when I do walking intervals than when I run straight out. Plus, I think it’s better for injury prevention!

I’ve been using the spicy bean burgers as burrito filling. It’s pretty good mashed up with salsa!

Tay August 17, 2009

Angela -

I just got the Iphone a few days ago and I am IN LOVE. I was seriously debating not getting it (because of the extra cost), but it is worth it. Oh so worth it. I’m not sure how the blackberry competes, but the iphone is awesome. Twittering, blogging, gps, everything all at your fingertips. (I sound like a walking advertisement ;-) ). I recommend it!!

Emily Eats August 17, 2009

I have pondered growing my own wheatgrass so will read with much interest if you go ahead and do so. I believe it will require a different juicer to my usual breville though, so I will have to investigate further in due course :)