Just Dandy! Green Monster

Last night, Eric and I went for another bike-run outing! I was so proud of us for going because we were feeling quite tired after a long day of working.

When we left there was a big dark cloud off in the distance. We decided to take our chances and see how far we could get. About 15 minutes into the run we heard some faint thunder. And then a couple drops. And then lightening. That was motivation enough for me to sprint all the way home. So the beginning of my run was slower (9:30-10 min/mile) and it ended fast (7:30-8 min/mile).

The run:

• Duration: 32 minutes
  • Distance: 3.43 miles
  • Avg pace: 9:24 min/mile
  • Max pace: 7:23 min/mile
  • Max heart rate: 168 bpm
  • Avg heart rate: 150 bpm

I stopped and walked for a couple minutes during the run. Not even 5 minutes after we raced home we had the craziest, intense thunderstorm ever!!! The power was going on and off for over 1 hour. I was wrapping cookies by candlelight for a bit! Never good, I know!

I was decorating cookies most of the day yesterday until about 10pm. Then of course I had to do a deep kitchen clean and all the dishes, so I didn’t wrap up until about 11:45. I sure slept like a log last night.

~~~~~~~

It was so nice to come down to such a clean kitchen this morning though! Everything was sparkling.

IMG_1638

And then it was time for a green monster!

We picked up a few groceries yesterday. Superstore had blueberries on sale- almost 1000 grams for $4.99. Not too shabby. Of course they weren’t organic, but after I saw the organic price ($5 for 450 grams) I just couldn’t justify paying the organic price when it was more than double the non-organic.

So now that we have 3-4 days to eat up our food (we leave for Leah’s wedding on Thursday), I knew I had to use up lots of berries in my GM today.

IMG_1649

Just Dandy! Blueberry-Kale-Dandelion Green Monster

by Ohsheglows.com

Ingredients:

• 5 large sprigs of dandelion
  • 1 large kale leaf
  • 1/2-3/4 cup blueberries
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • 1 cup soy milk
  • ice
  • Kyolic Garlic extract

Print Recipe

Mmmmm. Dandelion! We went to a different Superstore yesterday and I was delighted to see that they carried dandelion! I hadn’t had any since my birthday Whole Foods trip in May! Holy Moly, time sure flies eh? Doesn’t it just feel like yesterday when I was reviewing my 1st trip to Whole Foods?

Dandelion Benefits include:

• It is a gentle diuretic
  • It can purify the bloodstream and liver, and it can stimulate the manufacture of bile
  • It can decrease the amounts of serum cholesterol and uric acid
  • It can maximize the performance of the kidneys, pancreas, spleen, and stomach
  • It is very beneficial to menopausal women
  • Cleanses skin and eliminates acne
  • It is effective in treating abscesses, anemia, boils, breast tumors, and cirrhosis of the liver

Source

IMG_1653

Despite not having any banana, this green monster still tasted fabulous and had a hint of sweetness to it from the berries. Blueberries act quite strange in GM’s though. They sort of ‘gelify’ and create this strange mousse like substance along the top of the GM. Does this happen to anyone else? I find it helps to stir it up just prior to drinking it. I highly recommend trying dandelion in your GM though- it is such a superfood with so many health benefits.

~~~~~~

Tomorrow I have to return my defective Kitchen Aid Food Processor and Blender, which means that I am going to be out of a green monster maker for 1-2 weeks! eek! What’s a girl to do? Well, I will show you later on just what I am going to do in the meantime to carry me through this difficult time. ;)

~~~~~~

OSG/Glo Bakery:

Yesterday Eric spent a lot of time helping me set up my Shopping Cart for Glo Bakery. He’s so good at this stuff. :) He set up the shipping tool (wooot!) but then we realized that I had to purchase a dedicated IP Address specifically for this process to be set up. Once I purchased the D-IP, we experienced some problems with OSG (long story), so I apologize if you experienced anything wonky last night. Between that, packing cookies, and the power/internet going out, I was not having a great night! Hopefully today things will run more smoothly.

Today’s agenda:

• Fabricland- get thread for MIL to alter my Bridesmaid dress Tuesday
  • Buy Eric’s gifts (Home Depot + Sporting Goods store) + Birthday card (his b-day is tomorrow!)
  • Bake 5 batches of Glo Bars + cookies, package, invoice, ship
  • Bake 110 wedding favour cookies (Part 1 today, Part 2 Tues, Part 3 Wed)
  • Go to my bank appointment to set up Glo business account + credit card
  • Workout
  • Blog 2x
  • Confirm hotel reservation for Thurs/Fri nights
  • Prep food for the week

Enjoy your Monday!

Angela_Signature

It is very simple to be happy, but it is very difficult to be simple.
– Rabindranath Tagore

1 MarathonVal August 10, 2009

That’s interesting that your husband rides while you run… my hubby rollerblades with me while I run, but we assumed that biking wouldn’t work since he would be going so much faster than I can run! But maybe that just means I need to go faster? :)

2 Ellen @ Peace in Motion August 10, 2009

love blueberries in my smoothies! good luck with the to do list

3 Yolanda August 10, 2009

I don’t think it is the blueberries. Chia seeds soak up water and create a gel. Try it with just chia and water see if you get the gel. Chia absorbs ALOT of water so it doesn’t take much.

4 katherine August 10, 2009

Way to go on your run – 7:30/mile pace is AWESOME! Glad you didn’t get caught in the storm :)

Good luck with your list today and have a wonderful morning!

5 Shannon (The Daily Balance) August 10, 2009

Good luck with your list today!

6 Meghan@traveleatlove August 10, 2009

I havve definitely experience the jello-like GM from adding too many blueberries! If you don’t mix well and try to take a sip, the whole thing comes flying out at once!

7 Paige @ Running Around Normal August 10, 2009

Wow, I never new dandelion was so good for you!! I might just have to pick up some. You’re a busy woman today (per usual:)) Hope it’s a productive one for ya!

8 Ashley August 10, 2009

Yay I can read your site today!

Did you have problems with BlueHost yesterday?

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2009

Yolanda- It’s not the chia because it happened to me way before I even started using chia. As Meghan described above it all comes flying out at once- that is exactly what happens to me! lol. It’s quite strange.
Ashley- this is what the bluehost guy said, “What you have described is typical after purchasing a dedicated IP. Whenever your IP address changes, you may experience a period of about 6-24 hours where your site can appear to be non-functional. This is the standard propagation time that is required to update your DNS throughout the world. Because this was a dedicated IP purchase, our system attempts to keep your website online by redirecting the URL during this time. This will automatically resolve itself once dns propagation has completed.

10 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope August 10, 2009

That smoothie sounds so good! I really wish I could try some dandelions, but I haven’t been able to find them in stores.

With the blueberries, I always freeze my blueberries before adding them into my smoothies. The smoothies seem to taste a lot better when I do this and really have a nice, thick texture.

Have a great Monday!

xxoo
Heather

11 Alex August 10, 2009

Hi Angela,

I also freeze my blueberries and don’t seem to get this problem.

And that storm was NUTS! I made it home just in time before it started to attempt to destroy the whole of TO.

12 Sheri August 10, 2009

You have a very large to do list today! Hope you get everything done and have a wonderful day!

13 Jenna (WholeBodyLove) August 10, 2009

Yikes! You are one busy chic. Sounds like you’re gonna need that GM to power through :)

14 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 10, 2009

Hmm, I use blueberries in my smoothies all the time and have never experienced that.

15 Cait (Cait's Plate) August 10, 2009

OH MY GOSH! I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOUR KITCHEN!! But I agree, there’s NOTHING better than waking up to a nice clean place :)

Good luck with your to-dos! :)

16 Kristen @ Simply Savor August 10, 2009

Wow, I’m going to have to try dandelion now–I had no idea it had so many great health benefits! Does it have a distinct taste or add extra flavor to your Green Monster? Thanks Angela!

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2009

Kristen- I found that it was less bitter than kale if that helps :)

18 britt August 10, 2009

your kitchen looks great! please come clean mine! :) i was supposed to clean mine yesterday but after organizing/cleaning the refrigerator i was done for the day.

19 Jessica August 10, 2009

Your kitchen is so gorgeous :)
Use your food processor for green monsters!
-muffy

20 Jessica August 10, 2009

…oh wait. lol!

21 She-Fit August 10, 2009

Your green monster looks great. I tried making one for the first time this morning and it was a huge failure… HELP!

22 jessinnyc August 10, 2009

What a great hubby you have! My husband rode once with me during a 10 mile run in 6 degree weather. Sounds like we’re both lucky ladies!

23 Marnie August 10, 2009

You should make some green monster popsicles before you send your blender away Ange!

24 Kelly August 10, 2009

Yeah, blueberries always make a sort of swamp scum layer atop my GMs, too!

25 Vegan Radhika SArohia January 12, 2013

Woooot!!
I just bought dandelion greens in LA for the first time yesterday, and put them in a blueberry smoothie, it was great!
Gonna buy them every week for my smoothies from now on for sure, the health benefits are awesome
I buy Swiss chard and spinach often for my salads but I read that watercress is very good for you too so I’m gonna start picking that up as well
I’m low carb vegan girl always concerned about getting all the essential vitamins/mineral so I def need to get more leafy greens into my diet in general
I love these smoothie posts haha :D