10-Mile Race: Prepping Part 1

My race outfit is all layed out and (almost) ready to go!

IMG_9885

The only thing I am thinking of changing is:

1) My hat– I may see if I can purchase one today that is better ventilated and made specifically for running. I would be very sad about giving up my lucky hat though, but I also don’t want to overheat. Luckily the weather is only supposed to be a cool 16C in the morning!

2) I might put ohsheglows.com on the shorts, but not sure

3) I might purchase some Cliff shots or something for energy. Tips??

IMG_9886

My favourite Lululemon bra (I think it is a ‘Flow’ bra):

IMG_9887

Representing the GREEN MONSTERS!

IMG_9892

I still need to clip on the HR sensor on the band.

IMG_9888

Moleskin– essential!!!

IMG_9889

I need to charge my MP3 player…

IMG_9890

Knee sleeves (I think I had a dream about these last night!), Wrightsocks, foot pod.

IMG_9891

food I am fueling up on lots of carbs and protein today!

I had a huge bowl of cereal this morning with two of my favourite cereals.

IMG_9895

Let’s zoom in, shall we?

IMG_9896

God only knows what was wrong with this box to make them sell it for $1! LOL

Yes, I got this cereal for $1 on sale!! I got 3 boxes, and wish I got more! It is SO good! It is higher in calories, so I typically use it as a ‘cereal topping’. I also added 2 tablespoons of hulled hemp seed which gave me an additional 12 grams of protein. I LOVE hemp!!! Aside from my new love for chia, hemp ranks right up there. It is actually better tasting and has a better texture than chia, but I like chia for all of the great nutritional benefits.

RUNNING POWER:

IMG_9904

mmmmm

IMG_9906

I love this glass bowl from dollarstore…the only problem is the square corners make it harder to get all the cereal out of the bottom! ;)

IMG_9908

I had it with an Amazing Grass GM- 1/2 scoop chocolate meal infusion with 1 tablespoon wheatgrass powder + 1/2 cup soy milk + 1 cup water:

IMG_9909

I’m SO full!

See you this afternoon for my race kit and a two fun guest posts for the Summer Glow Boot Camp!

Angela_Signature

1 Cait (Cait's Plate) July 18, 2009

Haha for a dollar, I’d take it with ANY defects it may have had!! :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE the race outfit! Yay for GMM!!

2 Jess July 18, 2009

I’ve reviewed the clif shot gels on my blog – I think they are good!

Race outfit looks good – GL in your race! :)

3 Maureen July 18, 2009

What grocery store do you shop at I have never seen bulk boxes or this type of cereal for a $1.

4 leslie July 18, 2009

$1 cereal plus $1 bowl – love it. cereal is the best running fuel!

5 Mara @ What's for Dinner? July 18, 2009

Love the outfit and the cereal!!!

6 Katherine July 18, 2009

are the shots the liquid kind? make sure you drink water with them so you can digest them during the run.

7 Linda July 18, 2009

I love that yellow ribbon ;)
Good Luck tomorrow!!!!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2009

I got the $1 cereal at Bulk Barn of all places! I get the bulk sized box at Loblaws. :)
~A

9 MarathonVal July 18, 2009

If you are looking for a well ventilated hat, maybe try a visor instead? I love visors because they shield the sun but keep your head cool :)

10 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope July 18, 2009

Sounds like the perfectly planned outfit to me! And that cereal sounds delicious. As soon as my cereal stock is low, I’m trying that one out!

xxoo
Heather

11 Shannon (The Daily Balance) July 18, 2009

Love the outfit, so adorable!! good luck!

12 Katherine July 18, 2009

I like Clif Blocks, but be careful about changing up your fueling routine the day of the race. One of the most critical race tips I’ve ever received was “DON’T DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT” the day of the race. Treat it as just another long run – same prep, same routine, etc. Your body is used to being fueled a certain way during a run and you could get stomach cramps or GI distress by introducing something new.

That said, they might sit just fine with your stomach and you might want to energy kick!

Either way, you’re totally ready for this race and you’re going to be AWESOME!

13 Amy July 18, 2009

If you’ve never trained with gels/sport beans, tomorrow is not the right time to start experimenting. They can be very harsh on your digestive track.

Race day is never the day to try something new! :)

Good luck.

14 Amy July 18, 2009

I just wanted to add… if you’re going to continue running anything over, lets say 10-12k… I might consider adding some fuel to your routine.

I fuel (with Sport Beans) for any distance over 12k, and I begin to fuel 50 mins into the run.

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2009

Really good point guys about not trying anything new on race day! I probably shouldn’t try the shots or beans then. I guess I will have to be extra careful to get enough fuel today and tomorrow AM! I guess if Im desperate I can have gatorade (blech) ~A

16 Holly July 18, 2009

I’d definitely grab some Clif shot blocks or some Gu or something for a 10 mile race! Good practice would be to take something every 45 minutes, so you might need two servings, maybe not.

Good luck! I’m running a half marathon tomorrow so I need to get all my stuff set out too!

17 Holly July 18, 2009

Oooooh, good point about not trying anything new. How about a sample size of a glo bar or something you are used to eating? I’d be worried you’d run out of steam in the last few miles without something!

18 Amanda (modernation) July 18, 2009

You are so prepared – great job. I like the mocha flavored Cliff Shots and always have one half way through a long race. I also like Jelly Belly Sport Beans and Cliff Shot Blocks. Good luck!

AManda

19 Priyanka July 18, 2009

$1 for a cereal and a bowl like that is awesome.The Dollar store near me, stocks up nothing like that! :~(

20 Susan July 18, 2009

I love Nature’s Path cereal!! Those hemp seeds sound pretty stellar, I should give them a shot ;)

I think a 10 mile race definitely requires some sort of fuel. I used dates stuffed with PB for my triathlon and they worked wonderfully!! But you should really pick something you KNOW will sit well in your tummy. I knew dates would work, but maybe you could bring jellybeans, half a banana, or basically anything with some sugar that will give you a boost :)

21 Meredith (Pursuing Balance) July 18, 2009

Good luck with your run!

22 Jocelyn July 18, 2009

Hey Angela! Quick question about the foot pod, does it work work with the polar hrm?? thanks!

Jocelyn

23 maggie July 18, 2009

Angela! You outfit is soo cute. do you mind me asking where you got your yellow sports bra??? I just adore that fit!!

24 Saima July 18, 2009

Ange, from which store did you buy the cereal?!

25 Marilyn July 18, 2009

Good luck!

26 Keri July 18, 2009

Good luck with your race! Way to prep yourself and be ready! One question, what is that black band around your shirt? What’s it used for? I think I’ve seen them around before, but I’m really curious now?

Have a blast!
xo,
keri

27 April July 18, 2009

I was just wondering if you have a lucky charm you wear during your races?

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2009

Hi all!

To answer your questions…

1) Yellow bra is from Lululemon (www.lululemon.com) I love it- but its not for those who need lots of support (not me! lol)
2) Yup, The foot pod is for my Polar HRM
3) The strap around my chest is my heart rate monitor strap. It is the device that measures my heart rate and transmits it to my watch. :)
4) Lucky charm- last time I wore 2 necklaces but they got tangled so I won’t be doing that again! This time I will wear my wedding rings again and my diamond stud earrings. :)

Hope I got all of them!

29 bhline July 18, 2009

Do you think you might be getting too much protein?

30 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 18, 2009

Good luck!!! I love your shorts–where’d ya get them?

31 Susan July 18, 2009

My advice about Clif gels/other nutrition…Nothing new on race day!! If you haven’t tried them before, I don’t recommend trying them for the first time during the race.