The Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

fitness thumb23   The Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

So last night’s late evening workout was a success!

All I can say is thank goodness that The Office reruns were on (there was like 4 in a row!) because it kept me laughing and semi-distracted. I watched about 2.5 episodes while I worked out and I had a kick butt workout! Certain parts of my workout were super challenging…I was panting, out of breath, and wanting to stop and reduce my effort level.

I said to Eric, who was in the office happily watching The Office, that ‘I need some encouragement please!!’ And he goes, ‘You can do it- Feed the Warrior!!!’. :) Him, and The Office, were enough to get me through the 1 hour workout!

The workout:

• Duration: 1 hour
  • 35 mins @ 4 mph/incline 15%; 10 mins @ 3.5 mph/incline 15%; 15 mins @ 3.5 mph/incline 10-5%
  • Max heart rate: 162 bpm
  • Avg heart rate: 145 bpm

Of course, I always do the BBBC after my workout, and yesterday’s was a really awesome 2 min ab blasting bikini workout- check it out if you haven’t already!

Also, just to warn you- Jillian Michaels is giving you a way to boost and tone your bust in today’s 4 minute challenge! Visit the BBBC page- you won’t be disappointed!

Don’t forget, there are only THREE days left of the Spring BBBC! I am gearing up for my final set of measurements on Monday, so this weekend is going to be an intense workout weekend! See this weekend what I add to my workouts to crank up the intensity and make the last few days GREAT! You don’t want to miss this!

Also, on Monday there is a new and exciting contest giveaway coming up with My Hip-T!

food thumb33   The Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar Green Monster spottings!

Hey Angela-

I finally jumped on the vegetables-in-smoothies-for-breakfast bandwagon! I wasn’t ambitious enough for kale (plus I didn’t have any the fridge) but I did make a spinach smoothie.

The taste? Delicious! I couldn’t detect a veggie flavor at all.  The strawberry and banana flavors really shone through.  I’ll definitely be making one of these again!

img 0064 thumb   The Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

Anna
Blue Plate Special

Sighting #2:

Rose says:

I had to try a taste. I was really scared, which I know now is dumb. But I thought I’d have spinach all through my teeth and that the first gulp would be miserable.

Um.

Why didn’t anyone say that the Green Monster tasted just like any berry smoothie? Oh, yeah that’s right. You may have said that, but I was too busy not believing. Oh, Rose.

Anyway— oh my! The Green Monster is GOOD! Everyone in blogland is right! You can’t taste a difference, but it’s packed with so much more power.

untitled thumb5   The Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

Love the commentary ladies!

facts thumb1   The Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

ALERT!!!! New Health Food to Try:

Apple Cider Vinegar

apple cider vinegar thumb   The Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple cider vinegar is made from fresh ripe apples that are fermented and undergo a stringent process to create the final product. The vinegar contains a host of vitamins, beta-carotene, pectin and vital minerals such as potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorous, chlorine, sulphur, iron, and fluorine.

Did you know about these awesome health benefits of apple cider vinegar?

• CHOLESTEROL FIGHTER: Pectin in the vinegar is a fiber which helps reduce bad cholesterol and helps in regulating blood pressure
  • STRONG BONES: This vinegar helps extract calcium from the fruits, vegetables and meat it is mixed with, helping in the process of maintaining strong bones
  • SKIN and NAILS: Potassium deficiency causes a variety of ailments including hair loss, weak finger nails, brittle teeth, sinusitis, and a permanently running nose. Apple cider vinegar is loaded with potassium
  • It is detoxifying thanks to the potassium
  • ANTI-AGING: The beta-carotene helps in countering damage caused by free radicals, helping one maintain firmer skin and a youthful appearance
  • WEIGHT LOSS: Apple cider vinegar is good for those wanting to lose weight. It helps in breaking down fat which helps in natural weight reduction. Umm heck yea!!!
  • ANTI-FUNGAL: Apple cider vinegar contains malic acid which is very helpful in fighting fungal and bacterial infections
  • JOINT RELIEVER: This acid dissolves uric acid deposits that form around joints, helping relieve joint pains

[Source]

You can be sure that I am going to be using apple cider vinegar for much more than my vegan baking! I am going to try using 1 tsp. in my green monster this morning. I am also going to try my first homemade salad dressing at lunch! I will be doing a review of it of course. :)

Today’s questions:

1. Do you use apple cider vinegar? What do you use it for?

2. I encountered a dilemma last night after my workout- it was 10:30pm and I was hungry. I wanted to eat, but not too much before bed. How do you evening workout-ers solve this problem? What is a good post workout snack if I am going to be hitting the hay in an hour?

I ended up having fruit and veggies (kiwi, strawberries, and a red pepper with salsa) and that did the trick as I wasn’t too full but just satisfied, but I’m sure I should have gotten more protein in there.

See you this afternoon for the next HOT TOPIC!!! Oh this is going to be a good one!

angela signature thumb76   The Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

Goodluck to Meghann who is off to San Diego to run a MARATHON this weekend!!

The most common way people give up their power
is by thinking they don’t have any.
~ Alice Walker ~

Rose May 29, 2009

Thanks for all your help last night! I loved the Green Monster! I am finally a believer :)

Nicole May 29, 2009

I always use apple cider vinegar, mostly with just a simple dressing of apple cider and evoo. easy and good.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 29, 2009

My dad swears by apple cider vinegar!

Kristin May 29, 2009

Yeah, I love apple cider vinegar as well with a bit of olive oil and pepper on my salads. Depending on what is in the salad, I either go for the apple cider or the balsamic. Either one is great!

Katherine May 29, 2009

Sounds like you had a great workout!

I haven’t tried apple cider vinegar before, but I can’t wait to read your review of it.

I was inspired by your ‘top posts’ and checked out the ab exercise pictures – I did the regular, wide-leg and side planks yesterday afternoon, along with the slow leg lifts and some bicycles and it was a great workout for my entire core. I’ll definitely be checking out the BBBC workouts and I think I might start Day 1 today!

Eliza May 29, 2009

Hilarious story about apple cider vinegar:
Part of my last job was accompanying girls who lived in a mental health residential center on visits to friend’s houses, parent’s houses, whatever.
So I took this 16 year old girl to her friend’s house, and my job was just to supervise the visit/her behavior for safety. She was totally fine, but her friend’s dad was nutty.
He chain-smoked the entire time I was there, then he went and did some work out on a trampoline (with a cigarette), then he ate an entire pizza. He weighed easily 250 lbs.
Then, after dinner, he pulls out this bottle of apple cider vinegar and starts going on and on about how it is like this youth elixir, and how it will make him live for ever.
He starts doing shots of it, and made me do one too.

Erin May 29, 2009

I’ve been using apple cider vinegar for quite a while. I put a teaspoon in hot water with lemon in the morning and it works magic. Mini detox everyday!

Barbara May 29, 2009

When i was training for a figure Show( never did it) my trainer would have me drink 2 spoons of Apple Cider Vinagar( with the mother) Braggs brand and Lemon Juice. It’s a natural thermogenic hence the help with weight loss.

I’m not sure if it worked BUT..I did seem to slim down with that diet and it was fabulous as a salad dressing.

Your blog rocks!

B

carolinebee May 29, 2009

I have to send you my GM pics, i have them all the time now thanks to u! I get home late from dance a lot, after eating normally thru the day, so I’m not starving but probably should eat. I usually just have a cup or two of cereal with skim, or egg whites, but I know what you mean about not wanting to go to bed with a protein brick in the tum :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2009

Wow a shot of ACV!! That’s intense! I tried 1 tsp in my GM this morning- word of caution make sure you use a whole banana to off set the bitterness of the ACV!!!~A

Leah @ Simply Fabulous May 29, 2009

Just for the record, you are the last person who needs to be doing even MORE intense work outs to try to tone up or lose inches! Take your own advice eh? :)

brandi May 29, 2009

i love apple cider vinegar, but I usually just use it in meals and dressings.

And how do you work out that late? I would never be able to sleep after that. :)

Joanna May 29, 2009

I have been drinking a long glassful of water with 1T apple cider vinegar before running each morning for about a year now. I honestly cannot say I have noticed any effects at all – but I figure it can’t hurt! I quite like the apple taste of it in salad dressings too – I mix with toasted sesame seed oil. As for an evening protein snack – I find that an oatcake with 1 t of peanut butter and a slice of apple on top silences the tummy grumblings without feeling like a rock in there.

PS – Tried all the planks this morning after running and nearly died! Had to recuperate in the office for an hour with a smoothie, just staring at the computer screen blankly (that’s me, not the screen, that was blank!)

Meg May 29, 2009

Hi Angela! I use that exact same vinegar! I actually use it to cleanse my hair! Sometimes I get build-up from conditioner in my hair, so I wash some apple cider vinegar through it, then shampoo/condition as usual, and it really gets rid of all the build-up!

I also like to dip crabmeat in it :P

Have a great Friday!
Meg

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2009

Wow so many people use ACV!! How could you keep this from me?? LOL. I did a 1/4 shot of it this morning. I preferred to do a shot rather than put it in my GM! It tastes way too bitter in the GM!!!! ~A

Kiersten May 29, 2009

There’s a salad dressing recipe in Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan called “Cumin-Cinnamon Vinaigrette” that uses apple cider vinegar. It’s my favorite dressing.

Diana May 29, 2009

I’m going to have to try this stuff! Sounds like a miracle in a bottle!
Diana

M May 29, 2009

Are you going to post before and after photos when the BBBC challenge is over?

Alison May 29, 2009

Everyone’s favorite gal pal Jillian says that if you eat before bed, it should be mainly protein. The reason behind it is carbs increase your insulin levels, which inhibit the release of Human Growth Hormone. You get your largest boost of HGH about 90 minutes after you fall asleep, but you won’t release as much of it your insulin levels are high. HGH is this amazing hormone that keeps you looking young, helps you burn fat while you sleep, along with a handful of other fabulous things. She advocates no eating 3 to 4 hours before bed, and if you do, it should be mainly protein and fat, with a little bit of complex carbs if you need it…. think cottage cheese with nuts and a couple of slices of apple as an example.

e. May 29, 2009

Ha! I can’t believe Eric told you to feed the warrior. He’s too cute.

I love your words of wisdom for the day today.

Brittany May 29, 2009

On days you work out in the morning do you ever have NO appetite for breakfast? Some mornings I feel like i have to force feed myself a banana or some toast but it usually makes my stomach hurt. Has it ever happened to you and how do you avoid it?

Good question- This used to happen to me when I used to have very early morning workouts at 6:30am! I would feel sick that early in the morning. I never really found a way to solve the problem, but the feeling did tend to go away after about 15 mins through my workout. Sometimes I would have to force myself to eat even just half a banana or I know I would burn out during my cardio. If I am truly not hungry in the morning before a planned workout, I usually just have a few crackers for some carb fuel (I find I can pretty much always stomach a few crackers for some reason), but if I am hungry I always eat something- usually a GM or AB, toast and jam or AB and a banana. It just depends how I feel. I say just listen to your body- it will tell you if you need fuel. ~A

Whitney May 29, 2009

I don’t use much apple cider vinegar; but my workouts are always done in the evening!

I usually workout between 6 and 8 and then have a light dinner and then a cup of hot tea at around ten. That usually does the trick for me, but if I eat dinner first I like to have a yogurt, fruit or granola with my hot tea to keep my stomach from growling!

Kel May 29, 2009

I used to date a guy who swore by ACV, so I got a bottle and tried my very best to take a shot every day. It was horrible… I always had to have a chaser ready. I never noticed the benefits, I think, because I wasn’t consistent. I might buy another bottle and try it again after seeing this post. I would love to know how to use it in other ways.

tami May 29, 2009

i use apple cider vinegar as a toner, in my shampoo and conditioner and to clean our coffee maker and to clean just about every other part of our house (with a little baking soda) you can use regular vinegar as well

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2009

Wow all of these things are such great ideas!

Natalie M. May 29, 2009

I use apple cider vinegar as a hair rinse… it actually gets rid of build up adequately!

If you’re hungry and its pretty late.. a small bowl of cereal is usually a good thing to eat.

Natalie M. May 29, 2009

Oops…forgot to say great post! Looking forward to your next one.

Amy May 29, 2009

I am enjoying seeing all the green monsters popping up everywhere. I want to try one, but I don’t like spinach, never tried kale, but LOVE strawberry and banana smoothies. What recipe do you recommend for a green monster beginner?

Hi Amy, I know you may not believe this, but you honestly DO NOT taste the spinach in a green monster! :) Others can back me up!! All you taste is the milk + banana really. For a beginner I suggest keeping it simple: 1 cup your choice of milk, 1.5-2 cups spinach, 1 T almond or peanut butter, 1 banana, ice. You can’t go wrong! ~A

April May 29, 2009

I use ACV as well. Sometimes shots…burn the nostril OH YEAH, or sometimes I fill my 32 oz water up and put it in there with some lemon juice. If i’m getting crazy i’ll even throw a stevia packet in there as well!

Leslie May 29, 2009
Becca May 29, 2009

Your treadmill workout sounds great. I will have to do that same one! I have used apple cider vinegar in various recipes.. I will have to pick up some more! And yes, good luck Meghann!!

Sarah May 29, 2009

I know I have used apple cider vinegar in recipes before but for the life of me I can’t remember what they were!

Allison May 29, 2009

On the recommendation of the CEO of a natural/vegan hair care company, I’ve started rinsing my hair with ACV after swimming in the pool and oh my God, I still can’t get over how well it works! Before getting in the water, I get my hair wet and massage in some conditioning oil (I think any kind of leave-in conditioner would work), then in the shower after, I pour about 1/8-1/4 cup diluted with water over my hair. Swimmers…try this if you don’t already! I honestly do not need to use tons of conditioner in my hair after swimming anymore; it makes my hair super soft, manageable, and free of that chlorine chemical smell!

However the smell alone scares me from using it in smoothies or anything, let alone drinking it straight.

Anna May 29, 2009

Yay! Expect to see more GMs from me in the future… :-)

Faith May 29, 2009

I drizzle apple cider vinegar, EVOO, and a touch of honey on salads…it’s amazing!

My mom drinks it straight (I’ve tried it…oh yeah, it burns!). She says that “back in the day” farmers used to mix a couple spoons each of apple cider vinegar and honey into a full glass of water and drink it before working out in the sun all day. My mom says it helped them stay hydrated.

Mark September 18, 2009

I cant stand the taste of it but the effects on my headaches are amazing. It seems more and more people start using this stuff