It’s A Beautiful Morning

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 20, 2009

….for a Green Monster Drink! :)

Sorry guys, I hate to do this to you, but I have to show you my latest breakfast concoction!

It is so sunny and beautiful outside today! One thing I love about our winter’s here is the sun. It can be cold outside but we usually have a nice sunny day to help us by. It does wonders for my mood the past few days! :)

My injury is doing better :) I am actually quite proud of myself for completely staying off of it for this long. Like I said before, the longest I have gone without exercise in the past FEW YEARS has been a couple days. Hard to believe, I know. I think that is why I was so down and out about taking a break because it really is so much a part of me and who I am. To me working out is like brushing my teeth– it gets done whether I want to or not! ;)

But more on the injury later….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to breakfast: This drink was actually tolerable. :)

Ingredients:

• 1 huge organic Kale leaf
  • 1 peeled cucumber
  • 10 organic baby carrots

img_4414

With carrots and cukes:

img_4415

Adding Kale:

img_4416

Ta-Da!

img_4417

I drank it as I got ready this morning. That is the great thing about smoothies/juices! Quick and Easy!

img_4419

Taste test? This was actually one of the best yet! I think the carrots really added a lot and made it sweeter.

Next on my wish list? A JUICER!!! A Vitamix Juicer to be precise! whahaha. Go big or go home!!!! :D Maybe they will send me a free one to test out on the website? lol. A gal can dream….! ;)

I am glad everyone liked the Freshman 15 posts so far! I will keep ’em coming! Stay tuned later today for more on the Freshman 15, a recap of how I am doing while injured, polls, a food product review (arrrrrr matey!), some fun books that arrived in my mailbox, quotes, fun and much more!

Did you know?

Carrots are an excellent source of antioxidant compounds, and the richest vegetable source of the pro-vitamin A carotenes. Carrots’ antioxidant compounds help protect against cardiovascular disease and cancer and also promote good vision, especially night vision.

jenngirl January 20, 2009 at 9:08 am

Glad the drink was a bit more successful this morning! And I’m glad you’re doing better about the no exercise, it’s really inspiring to me.

Andrea [bella eats] January 20, 2009 at 9:16 am

I’m so impressed with you sticking with the green monster drinks! Could you add apple or apple sauce to it? That might help the sweetness factor too…

I want a VitaMix SO BAD!!!!! :)

Melinda January 20, 2009 at 9:33 am

kudos to you on the goddess drink!! my boyfriend drinks odwalla superfood alll the time, which looks exactly like that, and he absolutely swears by it. i think there’s fruit in that one too though. why not try adding a banana or something into it? might help the flavor!

Lesley January 20, 2009 at 9:34 am

Glad you are liking the green drinks! I’ve heard great things about various concoctions. Do you drink that in addition to your breakfast?

Jen January 20, 2009 at 9:43 am

You are killing me with these green drinks! happy to hear this mornings was a bit better!

Mara January 20, 2009 at 9:49 am

I’m proud of you for staying off your injury…the last thing you’d want is to hurt it further and then be off it for a REALLY long time! I hurt my knee 2 years ago and kept walking/running on it, then had to be off it for 5 months while I did PT, and its still not right!

girlrunningaround January 20, 2009 at 9:52 am

Kudos to you for drinking that. I know I wouldn’t be able to get it down.

My answer to the poll was other–I mostly reading running/fitness blogs.

redheadyellowdog January 20, 2009 at 10:02 am

with all of your snowy pictures I thought this would make you chuckle:

our entire city was shut down because of 2-4″ of snow! there’s a picture on my blog. We were told not to go out unless it’s an extreme emergency! haha

VeggieGirl January 20, 2009 at 10:04 am

Sooooo glad that your injury is doing better; and hooray for another green drink!! :-D

Great information on carrots!! Love ’em.

Katie January 20, 2009 at 10:48 am

Well, at least it’s a pretty shade of green. lol

Where’s the “all of the above” choice on the poll? I’m kind of a blog-a-holic so I read ’em all.

kaneil January 20, 2009 at 11:07 am

Yumm – I want to try a green drink! I LOVE Naked Juice/Odwalla Juices too. A juicer will definitely be on my next wish list. :)

Hang in there with the injury recovery. I know how hard it is when you are addicted to the endorphins released by exercise. You can do this! Enjoy the sunshine!! :)

Since Obama’s being inaugurated today, I thought I’d inaugurate my blogging career today as well! I will keep you posted as soon as it’s ready to go! :)

dailygoods January 20, 2009 at 11:10 am

glad youre feeling better! i kinda want to try this green monster! i wonder if i could handle it. had a muffin for a snack today and went to heaven :)
hope you get your vitamix juicer, that would be awesome!

KT January 20, 2009 at 11:29 am

Wow, I admire you drinking the monster down. Did you have anything else for breakfast or just the smoothie?

Mariposa January 20, 2009 at 11:31 am

good luck with the juices!!! im so glad you are continuing to be very brave!! lol

bobbi January 20, 2009 at 11:32 am

i have yet to ever make a juice like that and I have a Vita-Mixer!!! Ok so now you have inspired me to try it, I think I would add in a half banana:)

Diana January 20, 2009 at 11:34 am

Glad to see you are making progress with both your injury and the green monster! I can’t wait to see your next combo!

Caitlin January 20, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Hi- I’ve been reading about your drink concoctions and just had to chime in because I juice/blend too, especially kale since it is a nutritional dream:) If you want to try something different, I sometimes blend a few stalks of kale, water, blueberries, and a tiny bit of maple syrup to help with the sweetness. I also have a juicer, so when you get one try an apple, a few carrots and a few stalks of Kale. The sweetness from the apple and carrots makes it really good!

Samantha Prior January 20, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Cool whatever next!

Leah January 20, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Do you find you get hungry sooner from just drinking these smoothies? I suppose there is a lot of fiber in them so that probably helps the ‘fullness’ factor but I was just curious if it keeps you full until lunch time!

Erin January 20, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I once did a veggie juicing detox and consumed about 20 veggies a day! It was definitely a natural high. Seeing you juice again makes me wanna start it up again!

MaryBe January 20, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I mostly read running/fitness blogs too. That’s really how I see yours, rather than a food blog although I (usually!) like that part of it too.
You sound like you’re feeling much better – yay!