The Breakfast Challenge

This morning I awoke in the middle of a dream- I hate when that happens! I always feel so groggy. Did you know that when you are dreaming you are in Stage 5 of sleep which is the deepest form of sleep (Rapid Eye Movement or REM sleep). This stage is where your most vivid dreams occur, called lucid dreaming. That is why when you wake up in the middle of a dream you often feel groggy for at least a half an hour after getting up!

In a zombie-like state, I dressed and headed to the gym. I managed to have a great workout despite wanting to leave after 5 minutes!

The workout:

• 5 mins. Elliptical at resistance 9
  • 20 mins. Treadmill @ incline 15 and speed 4.0mph
  • 5 reverse crunches on the ab ball (Grip a bench for support and lift your legs upward while on the ball)
  • 10 push-ups with feet anchored to the ab ball (tough!)
  • 15 lunges on each side while holding 15 lb. dumbbell in each hand
  • 20 squats
  • 25 crunches on stability ball
  • 15 lunges on each side while holding 15 lb. dumbbell in each hand
  • 5 mins Treadmill @ incline 15, 4.0 mph

I felt much better afterwards, although my inner thighs are sore! I need to S-T-R-E-T-C-H!

The Breakfast Challenge:

Recently on Kath Eats, she blogged about her learning experience from a talk that Dave Grotto, RD (author of 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life) gave at the Quaker Conference. In his talk he mentioned this fact that struck me hard:

“Women who ate a big breakfast (610 kcal, high carb, high protein) lost more weight than those who ate 1/3 of the calories.”

I decided I would try this out because for a long time I have been meaning to shift my calories– in other words- to eat more calories early in the day and the taper off at night time.

So this morning, I gussied-up, and had not one, but two bowls of my favourite breakfast staple-Nature’s Path Spelt Cereal. I am going to see if doubling-up on my normal breakfast size will affect my hunger and eating throughout the day!

Has anyone else tried this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now for today’s fashion poll:

Here are some dresses that are in stores now:

41n1jmjehyl__sl500_1

gp618612-00vliv01gap

Gap

on625254-01vliv01

Old Navy

on625658-00vliv01

Old Navy

Which ones are your favourites?

I hope everyone has a FANTASTIC TUESDAY!!! I will be getting to more FAQ’s later today!
Be healthy, laugh lots, dream big, and smile often. :D

1 Lindsey November 11, 2008

Love the first 2 Banana Republic dresses! They’re both really different, but I like both of them equally. And if these are dresses that you’re considering for a Christmas or New Year’s party dress, I think you’d look fantastic in both of those!

2 VeggieGirl November 11, 2008

Ahh, I too hate it when I wake up in the middle of a dream – not fun!! :-(

Good luck with the challenge!!

I like the first Bebe dress a lot – good luck deciding!! I’m terrible at deciding, haha.

3 Halie November 11, 2008

I’ve been trying the “610 calorie breakfast challenge” and it seems that I’m eating less at night. But sometimes I forget in the morning and have a 300 calorie breakfast – it takes a conscious effort.

I love the second Banana Republic dress!

4 seeleelive November 11, 2008

Wow girl I am so happy I read your post today. I “gussied up” yesterday and today, as well. I added 2 full tbsp of PB to my oats instead of just 1- It doesnt happen each morning, it really does take effort. Instead of jumping from 300-450 kcals for breakfast like you normally do, I would suggest *slowly* working your way up. That way your body will get used to the change. Also, remember, 610 doesn’t have to be the magic number for everyone. But we can work on this challenge to, although I am not looking to lose weight, just stop afternoon hunger.

I really like the first BeBe dress and the last Old Navy sparkly one. It’s probably a good price, too!

5 Mariposa November 11, 2008

Oh I don’t know if I could do the breakfast challenge… lol even if I eat a big b-fast I get hungry every 3-4 hours no matter WHAT i eat. I’m wondering if I am the only one this happens to.. thats why i really try to not eat big meals, because i still get hungry..so whats the point of overloading?

Love the first Bebe dress- so sexy! But for my body type I would probably go with the first Gap dress

6 Stephanie April 22, 2013

I’m the same way. Even after splurging on a massive brunch breakfast (I’m talking like six full plates of high calorie heaven) I was still hungry about and hour or two later.

7 Grounded Fitness November 11, 2008

I find that the amount of food i eat in the morning has nothing to do with how much i eat at night, so therefore, if i eat more in the morning, it just means i eat more in total.

Kelly Turner

8 Jess November 11, 2008

Hello my lovely, I am back :) I was sort of out of commission this weekend dealing with some stuff…all explained in todays post. But no worries I went back and caught up on all your weekend posts that I missed!

I don’t think I could eat 600 calorie breakfast unless it was really calorie dense (i.e. not really good for you) I’m just not that hungry in the morning so I don’t think that would work for me!

9 Angela November 11, 2008

Hey ladies! Thanks for all of your interesting comments about the breakfast challenge!

I meant to add that my breakfast today wasn’t 600 or 610 calories- it was about 350-400. I tend to eat small breakfasts because I don’t have much time in the AM, but I want to make a conscious effort to eat more. :)

10 Jenny November 11, 2008

Good luck with your breakfast challenge! I tend to eat smaller breakfasts myself (if I even eat breakfast, tsk-tsk) but I don’t think I would enjoy eating a very large breakfast :)

I love the first dress from edressme.com – the little black strapless, one. SO CUTE!!

11 Monica September 12, 2012

I feel better eating more calories at breakfast-after my 8-9 mile run. My current breakfast is a small glass of Vega chocolate performance protein with water and almond milk,after my run followed by warmed blueberry/ raspberry/ bananas with splash of almond milk, sliced almonds, a sprnkle of Hemp hearts and a sprinkle of Nature’s Path sunrise crunchy vanilla. Along with a large iced americano coffee. This tides me over for about 3 hrs when I enjoy my ruby red grapefruit.