Oh dear me.
Dear, dear, me.
This morning I was in the mood to make muffins. It is dark and grey outside and I wanted comfort food. Nothing spells comfort food more than banana and peanut butter. Warm, gooey, sweet, and packed with nutrients.
- 2 T ground flax + 6 T water, whisked (replaces 2 eggs)
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup agave (or you could use maple syrup probably)
- 1/4 cup organic virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 small)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used hemp)
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 T wheat germ
- 1 t cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of fine grain sea salt
- 1 t baking soda
- Bomb Filling:
- 1/4 cup plain soy yogurt (or regular)
- 1 T agave (or maple syrup)
- 1 heaping T peanut butter
- 1 small ripe banana
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flax + water to create the ‘eggs’. Allow it to sit for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients together.
- Add flax mixture and whisk.
- Fold dry ingredients into the wet ingredients being careful not to over stir.
- Place batter in a pre-greased muffin pan.
- Optional: Sprinkle with walnuts or carob nibs.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- While the muffins are baking prepare the filling. Mix yogurt, peanut butter, sweetener, and banana together being sure to get the clumps out.
- Place into a zip lock bag and set aside. Don’t cut the hole until just before filling (it leaks out).
- Once muffins are out of the oven and cooled, cut the hat of the muffin and fill. Place hat back on.
- Now enjoy your banana bombs with a big cup ‘o tea, a loved one, and some great reading material. :)
Here is a good picture showing you the power of liquid in a muffin mix.
The right side muffin was created with only 1/4 cup hemp milk in the batter, while the left side was using 1/2 cup hemp milk. Look how much more it rises with more milk!!!
Want to know another cool fact?
1 egg costs around 25 cents while 1 ‘flax egg’ costs around 2 cents! It can be much cheaper to bake with vegan ingredients.
Cutting off the hat:
Hi, my name is Angela and I am addicted to swirling things.
Oh no, the bomb is exploding!
These. taste. so. amazing. I. can’t. handle. it.
I can’t imagine any better way to spend my Saturday morning.