This smoothie calls for 2 tablespoons of hemp hearts which provide a huge nutritional boost to this smoothie, including more than 6 grams of complete protein, as well as omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, and more. Hemp hearts, kale, and dates require a strong blender to blend them smooth (a Vitamix blends them into a super creamy shake). If your blender can't blend the hemp hearts, kale, or dates smooth, I recommend swapping out the hemp for a serving of your favourite protein powder and swapping the dates for pure maple syrup (otherwise, you'll just have a grainy end result). You can also swap the kale for baby spinach as it blends easier.
- 1 1/2 (375 mL) cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup frozen organic kale
- 2 to 3 pitted large Medjool dates, to taste*
- 2 tablespoons hulled hemp seed
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large frozen banana
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon avocado (for thickening)
- Ice, if desired
- Add all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Adjust sweetness to taste, if desired.
- * If your dates are dry or stiff, I recommend soaking the pitted dates in boiled water for a half hour and then draining well before use.