Top 13 Vegan Desserts of 2013!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on February 10, 2014

I waited patiently to create this “top 2013 desserts” post until we approached the next chocolate-filled holiday. I really didn’t think you’d want to see this list at the start of January (or did you?). Either way, I hope we’re all ready for some treats! Whether you love or loathe Valentine’s Day, I personally think it’s perfect excuse to indulge in the finer things in life…like chocolate and pasta. Not that I haven’t been doing that since the start of the year, but you know.

Don’t forget to tell us your favourites below! Did any treat fall through the cracks?

#13. 3-Layer Almond Coconut Chocolate Bars

These bars are bursting with three of my favourite flavours – almond, coconut, and chocolate! It’s hard to go wrong. A soft and nutty toasted almond-oat crust forms the base. The middle layer is made up of a no-bake almond butter “fudge” enhanced with rice crisp cereal for a wicked crispy texture. The bars are topped with a dark chocolate “macaroon” coating and garnished with big flakes of toasted coconut. Need I say more?

veganchocolatebar-2155

#12. Creamy Dreamy Peppermint Patties

Luxurious, invigorating, melt-in-your-mouth peppermint patties made from scratch! Even better than store-bought versions. Many of you gushed about these in the comments section. I suggest keeping these in the fridge or freezer for the best texture. The chocolate coating gets all snappy which is a wonderful contrast to the creamy middle.

veganpeppermintpatty-3974

#11. Peanut Better Balls

These peanut butter balls forgo the powdered sugar and butter and instead use a few lighter ingredients with only a fraction of the sweetener compared to traditional recipes. You’ll wonder how you ever lived without this lighter version!

pbballz-4311

#10. Super Seed Chocolate Protein Bites

Nut-free chocolate energy bites featuring hemp, sesame, and chia seeds! A balanced on-the-go snack for a quick energy boost.

superseedenergybites

#9. Chilled Dark Chocolate Pie with Toasted Almond Crust and Strawberry vanilla Compote

A nutty, gluten-free crust is filled with a rich dark chocolate fudge filling all topped off with beautiful strawberry vanilla compote. There are just no words that can convey how much I love this pie! Read through the comments – this one has been a big hit over the past year.

veganrecipes-6857

#8. Seductive Raw Chocolate Walnut Fudge

See why my entire family went crazy for this raw fudge!

rawchocolatefudgevegan-7578

#7. Vegan + Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Balls

Cake balls made gluten-free and vegan with a fraction of the sugar. A fun V-day treat when you dress them up in festive heart cupcake liners and homemade pink shredded coconut.

gfvegancakeball-1778

#6. Pure Maple Butter

In case some of you aren’t familiar, maple butter (or maple cream) is pure maple syrup that has been boiled to a certain temperature, left to decrease in temperature, and then whipped/stirred like crazy for a good 30-35 minutes. This technique is hard work, but you’ll forget all about it upon first taste!

maple cream maple butter-1497

#5. No Bake Elvis Bars

A quick and easy, minimally sweetened frozen dessert square inspired by the popular Elvis Pie. My version uses almond butter instead of peanut butter and replaces the bacon for chocolate. Be sure to enjoy these straight out of the freezer as they melt really fast!

veganelvisbars-9939a

#4. No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

Super quick & easy no bake chocolate macaroons! All the taste without turning on the oven.

macaroonsnobakeveganchocolate-2657

#3. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Larabars’

Homemade Larabar knock-offs for a fraction of the cost! A great bar to store in the freezer for snacking or running out the door breakfasts.

IMG_0459

#2. Two-Ingredient Chocolate Fudge Frosting

A luxurious fudge frosting with just two ingredients. No butter or shortening required!

veganchocolatefudgefrosting-4877

#1. Raw Almond Butter Cups

I had no idea these were going to be such a hit. I love them and all, but I had no idea how excited you’d be to try them out! These are inspired by the peanut butter cup candy, but so much tastier and better for you! For the thick chocolate coating, I made my own chocolate using cocoa powder, coconut oil, and sweetener. Feel free to simply use melted dark chocolate if that’s what you have on hand.

rawalmondbuttercupsvegan-7347

So there you have it! You guys seem to love quick & easy, no-bake desserts. I can’t say I’m any different. In case you are curious, my personal favs from this list are: Creamy Dreamy Peppermint Patties, Chilled Dark Chocolate Pie, Raw Chocolate Walnut Fudge, and Pure Maple Butter.

enjoy! <3

Page 2 of 2«12
Linda February 13, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Okay, there is no excuse now. These look BETTER than non vegan desserts. I will have to test them all out of course- for scientific purposes, :)

Katie Levans (honeystuck) February 14, 2014 at 7:34 am

I’m dying over this list. Must. make. all.

Jenn February 14, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I’m adding your rolo knock-offs to this list! So good and I get asked for them all the time by hubs.

Lisa February 14, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Oh my these all look delicious! The peppermint patties… raw almond butter cups, 2 ingredient chocolate frosting, and seductive raw walnut chocolate fudge… I can’t decide what to make first! I’m so happy I have many of these ingredients on-hand. Today is the perfect day to make chocolatey treats. Thanks so much!! :)

Jenn @ Cakes, Cookies, and Pie Oh My! February 14, 2014 at 7:05 pm

So I tried the peppermint patties and they turned out so good. New fav recipe!

Daniella February 15, 2014 at 1:50 am

I’ve made four of these recipe’s out of your Top 13 list, and every time my non-vegan mind has been blown. I have even shocked some of my friends with some of your delicate treats. Thank you for being my introduction to a world that is so misrepresented at times. Vegan food is delicious when it comes from a good cook like yourself whom is also a talented artist as well. Your photos are what drew me in when I first came across your blog, and I hope your book sells like hotcakes. Congrats to all your success, and cheers to your future recipes that I look forward to trying.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2014 at 9:27 am

I’m so happy to hear this Daniella! Thanks for your kind words :)

Indira February 15, 2014 at 10:13 am

I’ve tried the Larabars before and those were delicious. I think I would toast them next time so make it a bit more complex. I’m a sucker for roasted cashews as well so will definitely be making this again.

Karrie February 17, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I just discovered this blog and I am blown away – these desserts look amazing! I’ve also preordered your cookbook – so excited to try it all out!

Maddi Leigh February 17, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Your frosting looks so delicious! I am definitely going to have to try making it sometime. I made a vegan mud pie for Valentine’s day similar to your chocolate pie and it was so yummy! Here’s the link if you would like to check it out.
maddileigh.com/a-vegan-valentines-day/

Lizz February 25, 2014 at 6:03 pm

I made the fudge and it was so good…I shared it with a few coworkers and they asked for the recipe! I definitely want to try everything else on this list too…it’s hard to know where to start though when everything you make is always so great. Thanks for all the delicious recipes!

Lucy March 3, 2014 at 1:27 pm

This is the best dessert recipe ever!

Aidan July 31, 2014 at 7:37 am

Out of the list I think there’s only one without chocolate! Any ideas on desserts without chocolate?

Handpickedvegan August 22, 2014 at 12:21 am

Wow! They looked amazing! I will add to your list my Cocoa Brownies and think they will fit perfectly! handpickedvegan.com

Ingrid December 15, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I made 2 of these recipes: Raw Almond Butter Cups & Seductive Raw Chocolate Walnut Fudge – they are fantastic! I have made them to my family who is very new to the raw / vegan world and they really loved it. Your blog is inspiring, I love the pictures and the very descriptive recipes. Thank you Angela!

Layla February 24, 2015 at 6:45 am

Just made the Peanut better balls and used Rice malt syrup as had some already in the cupboard and the recipe still works great. So delicious thanks for sharing such wonderful recipes

Nahal Derayeh April 29, 2016 at 6:42 pm

The Seductive Chocolate Walnut Fudge is OUT OF THIS WORLD DELICIOUS!!! Everytime I’ve made it I’ve impressed my guests! I can’t await to try the other recipes… everything looks ans sounds amazing!

Angela Liddon May 3, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Aw, I’m so glad you’ve been enjoying the recipe, Nahal! I hope you love whatever you try next, too. :)

Donna Olson August 15, 2018 at 10:07 am

I have a daughter (27) and a granddaughter (5) who have allergies to dairy and eggs, so I’m looking forward to trying these out on them and seeing what they think. I have no allergies, but it’s easier for me to cook allergen free so I don’t have to worry about any cross contamination. They are very sensitive to those allergens and these recipes are so good I don’t miss the dairy or eggs. Thank you for providing these recipes. Donna