It’s Not You, It’s Me + Iced Mocha Green Monster Smoothie

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 18, 2013

book-5619

I feel so scattered right now. Please forgive me for being away so much lately! The longer I’m pulled away from the blog, the harder it is to sit down and write something meaningful. I don’t know why, but nothing feels right lately. There’s so much on my mind and so much to say, but I just draw a blank when I finally sit down to type. I’ve written 3 draft posts recently and scrapped each one of them. Eric, the stater-of-the-obvious, looks at me and says, “Well, why don’t you write about how you’re having a hard time writing then?”

I’ve turned into a 90 year old woman who goes upstairs only to forget why she went up the stairs in the first place. This is mildly concerning at my age. The other day, I found a new jar of almond butter in the freezer. Scary. Shifting from cookbook mode to blogging mode has been more challenging than I anticipated and my best work seems to result from the days when I totally step away to saturate myself in one thing. Multitasking can be a double edged sword – trying to do everything at once often gets me nowhere, but when I only focus on one thing I have guilt about the other things I’m leaving behind. To this Eric says, “Well, don’t feel guilty about it then.”

This right here is the difference between men and women.

All of this self-indulging talk today is for me to say: it’s not you, it’s me. This long-distance thing has been a drag and I’m counting down the days until I can run to you and twirl you around in a big bear hug. Until then, I’m doing my best each day and trying to forget about the word balance because sometimes that just doesn’t exist. Let’s be real. The good news is that I finished shooting all 100 photographs for the book. Twenty-five of those photos were shot in the last 7 days alone. Yes, it was insane and no I don’t ever want to do that again.

book-4860

Currently, I’m knee deep in the editing process which probably won’t let up until August. Even though it’s been a crazy time, I’m so grateful to be able to do the kind of work that makes me feel excited when I get up in the morning. No one said the worthwhile things in life would be easy. I’m trying to be mindful each day and not worry needlessly about the future. These are the moments I will look back on with fondness…even the days when I spill milk all over my photo.

Plus, there’s always coffee.

spilledalmondmilk-105541

icedmochasmoothie

Iced Mocha Green Monster Smoothie

This icy drink is a hybrid between an Iced Mocha Coffee and a Green Monster Smoothie. I snuck in a handful of greens, but you can’t taste them one bit.

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 2 servings or 3 cups

Ingredients:

• 1 cup coffee, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 small handful spinach
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 3 large Medjool dates, pitted (or sweetener of choice)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 10 large ice cubes

1. Blend until smooth. Gulp. Cool down. Enjoy summer!

Nutritional Info.

I’ll leave you with one of my photo set-ups (Jared this one is for you!). I was cleaning up yesterday and turned around to catch this angle. I had to laugh at this hot mess. There’s an antique, beat up baking sheet for the background, and old wood slab for the base, and a white board to reflect light coming in from the window. The baking sheet is from a garage sale. The poor lady looked at Eric with great concern and said, “You aren’t going to cook with this are you??” Once she knew it was for photography she was relieved. Oddly, enough the photo turned out quite nicely despite its apparent shortcomings!

angesamosa-6217

Many of you are asking about the date of my cookbook release and I don’t have an official date yet, but it’s slated to be released early in 2014. My publisher is hoping for a January/February release to kick off the New Year. Yay! I’ll be sure to keep you up to date as soon as I know for sure. As always, thank you for your excitement and support. It means the world to me.

If you’d like to sign up for my cookbook newsletter, you can do so here. I haven’t sent anything out yet, but I hope to send some juicy tidbits as the date gets closer.

st jacob's farmers market-4421

By the way, happy almost summer! Bring on the fruit and veggies.

Page 3 of 3«123
Amy June 20, 2013 at 3:04 am

I’m stoked for your cookbook too! You are amazing!

Emer June 20, 2013 at 11:30 am

Angela, I love pretty much everything about your blog and your food. But I believe the thing that really sets you apart above all else, that shines through always, is your exceptional energy, passion and enthusiasm. You’ve gone and set that bar so high girl ;-) You go missing for 5 minutes and we’re like, “hey, what’s going on, where’d she go?” Keep on keeping on. We’re not going anywhere x

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 20, 2013 at 8:23 pm

You are so sweet, thank you! It’s funny – I’ve felt anything but energetic over the past several months, but I can feel it coming back now that I’m getting over the hump. Thanks for reading :)

Duze June 20, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Love your blog! I remember your allergy post and your description of scatter brain today reminds me of my old mental fog days when I still ate gluten…sometimes that can be a sign of gluten intolerance or celiac…my gluten intolerant colleague also had the same issue until she went totally glutenfree…damn you gluten!

Jill June 20, 2013 at 12:10 pm

This is one of the best websites/blogs I have come across in ages! I cannot stop reading….. You are inspiring! Thank you…. and can’t wait to try out the recipes. Don’t even know where to start :)

chrissy joy June 20, 2013 at 1:33 pm

what are those bars in the photo?? my mouth is watering just looking at them!!!

Molly June 20, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Lovely post – thanks for checking in!

Richele June 20, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I quite enjoy reading your blog :) And i cannot wait to try the smoothie!

Shelly June 20, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Just wanted to say what all the others are saying…miss your posts but don’t beat yourself up…take a breath and focus on your book because we’re all so excited to get it:) I love the one comment about going back and looking at old posts…there’s a wealth of wisdom to look through! Take care and thanks for checking in!

Suzanne June 20, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I too can relate to the memory loss/multitasking issues…they say that multitasking is not good for the brain – it is not how we are wired.. so no wonder we struggle with it so! Unfortunately life in the 21st century seems to require it. And you nailed it on the men/women thing…sounds like me and my hubby!

Went strawberry picking – all set to make your strawberry oat bars which is one of our all time favorites! Cannot wait for the book – so many more good recipes to look forward to :)

Relax and focus on whatever you need to each day…we will be here whenever blogging is part of your day!

Hannah June 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm

So proud of you dear heart. For getting the photos done, for taking a step back to focus on it, for listening to Eric (if only it were easy to simply “not feel guilty”, my life would’ve been much smoother sailing these past ten years) but, most of all, for writing the truth of your heart, just like we talked about.

Sending some of those great big squeezy hugs now, in advance, just in case you need one.

Emily (Dish on the Run) June 20, 2013 at 7:44 pm

We miss you too but it’s wonderful to hear what you’re up to. I can’t imagine doing a blog and cookbook. You are such an inspiration and I know your cookbook will be worth the wait!!!

Kristi June 20, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I love the idea of a coffee/green smoothie.

Sarah B June 20, 2013 at 10:39 pm

I totally have those 90 year old lady moments. I march into a room and stand there slack jawed wondering why I came in, or I do something stupid like I did this morning and pour coffee all over my oatmeal. Yup. Your Classic VOO with blueberries and coffee in one bowl. I need a vacation…..

Jessica M. June 21, 2013 at 9:58 am

I tried this Iced Mocha green monster this morning and it was quite good, I’d definitely try it again. I added flax seeds to give it a little extra protein. Thanks! :)

Richa June 21, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Wow. thats a load of work sone int he last few days. cant wait for your book Angela!:)
i dont know how you took that extra few seconds to take the picture of the spill :).
all the best for the book and finding the blogging mojo. Have a fun weekend

Reba - Not So Perfect Life June 21, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I know what you mean about not being able to focus. Its an everyday struggle for me. I can’t wait to buy your cookbook!

Jess June 21, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Hi Angela! Just started reading your blog a few weeks ago and everything I’ve made has been amazing!! Loved your idea for a caffeinated green smoothie – I tried it with adding some left over avocado (minus the dates) and it gave it a creamy frappuccino- like texture! yums! I added more spinach and still couldn’t taste it….though mine did turn out bright green. Looking forward to your cookbook!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Good call on adding avocado :) Thanks for your kind words by the way!

Jamie @lifelovelemons June 22, 2013 at 5:11 am

Love the spilt milk picture :)

Lisa C June 22, 2013 at 11:17 am

Angela, I can soooo sympathize as I help build our website and add images! But I always remind myself that the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time (hah!). Love what you do, but I’m wondering…what’s the burger in the picture??

Keep on doing what you do – you inspire us all to create and to keep it real!

Sarah C. June 22, 2013 at 11:41 am

Hi!!

I was just wondering if the receipe for those delicious looking granola bars (first photo) were available on your website? I’m somewhat new reader to your blog but I love what I’ve seen so far!!

Thanks in advance!!

Sarah

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Hey Sarah, They are my Glo Bars (from an online bakery I owned prior) and I will be sharing a couple recipes in my cookbook!

Britt @Better Living XoXo June 22, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I could definitely go for one of those iced mocha green monster smoothies right about now!
Great for the weather nowadays

Gena June 23, 2013 at 8:39 am

It’s easy to assume that readers want material that contains conclusions, insights, revelations, and so on. Oftentimes, what readers want (and I speak for myself as one of your readers) is just to hear someone’s thought process. And that’s precisely what you gave us in this post :) Thank you for that, and for being you. No pressure, ever, to manufacture material for your audience. In simply being authentic, you’re sharing the qualities that people love you for!

Phalyn @ heythatsvegan June 23, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I just have to tell you that I actually thought the split milk looked perfect! I hope you ended up using it in your shoot!
Also, loving this smoothie! I usually have to down my smoothie, and then my coffee in the morning and now, I know how to do it all at the same time! Talk about multitasking!

Susie June 24, 2013 at 6:39 am

Yum! The Iced Mocha Green Monster Smoothie is awesome! I used the coffee left over in my coffeepot from last night and snuck in a scoop of protein powder. Perfect morning drink!

Stephanie L June 24, 2013 at 9:35 am

I don’t blog, but I spend most days with a list of to do’s that don’t get completely done because I’m so way overextended. I then sit down at the end of the day, log into facebook and it says “what’s on your mind?” oh dear. No one wants to hear that. LOL The mud puddle that is my brain would confuse the bravest of souls. =D You found almond butter, my husband found my work keys. Yes, in the freezer. *sigh* Really looking forward to your cookbook whenever it shall appear. Vegan joy in my heart. Sending you a virtual *hug*. It’s crazy now but you’ll look back with pride at what you created and WE will all get to enjoy your genius for eternity, so thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2013 at 10:01 am

Thank you for your lovely sense of humour! That is hilarious about your keys in the freezer….hah. Hugs to you as well!

Cate June 24, 2013 at 10:45 am

Thank you for the iced green monster mocha smoothie. It was amazing! Can’t wait to try your coffee concentrate recipe!!

Penny June 27, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I love this smoothie!! I have a feeling that this is going to be my go to iced coffee drink this summer! Thank you!

Suzanne June 27, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Hi Angela,
I’m justing starting to make some of your recipes! My nieces follow your website and recipes all the time!
I would like to find the recipe for the bars at the top of this page! they look great! I seems to me there is cranberries, pumpkin seeds, oats…….. No name though!
I’m going out today to shop for the ingredients to make Endurance Crackers. I’ll let you know how they turn out and if I’m successful sneaking them onto the cheese board this weekend!

Suz

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 1, 2013 at 7:47 am

Hey Suz, That recipe is for my Glo Bars from the bakery I ran a couple years back – they will be in my cookbook! :) Thanks for reading & good luck with the crackers.

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat July 2, 2013 at 10:29 am

What a lovely post. I’m new to your blog and just love your photography, recipes, writing, and your honesty. Now that mocha smoothie with spinach? Inspired!! So glad I found you!

Heather

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2013 at 11:37 am

Thank you Heather, you are so sweet! :) off to check out your blog…

Kathy July 3, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Oh wow, that iced mocha green monster smoothie is AWESOME. I will be making that on a regular basis from now on! Thank you for another great recipe!

Peggy July 4, 2013 at 4:36 pm

The photo of the grain bars with cranberries….where is the recipe??? What name do you have them under? They look wonderful…

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2013 at 8:44 am

Hi Peggy, The recipe will be in my cookbook (it was my bakery granola bar recipe) :)

Hil July 4, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Do you have suggestions for alternates to Almond milk in your recipes? (I’m allergic to nuts–boo).

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2013 at 8:49 am

Hi Hil, My advice is to find a non-dairy milk that you like because that’s most important. Almond milk is my fav so thats why I use it in my recipes. You could try oat milk, hemp milk, soy milk, coconut, etc. good luck!

Kathy July 7, 2013 at 8:59 am

I’ve made this yummy iced mocha green monster a few times now, but I always seem to end up with some date ‘sediment’ at the bottom of the Vitamix…anyone else have this? Am I just not blending long enough?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 7, 2013 at 9:03 am

that happens to me sometimes too…just keep blending! Or soak the dates beforehand to soften them up. enjoy

Kathy July 7, 2013 at 10:14 am

Soaking them! What a smart idea. I’ll try it. Thank you!

[email protected] July 14, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I really appreciate this post because I have been feeling the same way. With the things keeping me away from my blog over the last few months (mainly pregnancy) I am finding it SO difficult to get back into it – which makes me just sad.

I took the same approach and just wrote a post about why I’m having a hard time which has turned out much better than all my failed attempts in the kitchen as of late. Honesty about how we are doing is always best, right? It makes me like you more :)

Besides, I can’t imagine how you have managed amidst the craziness of your cookbook photo extravaganza. Take care of yourself, my friend.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 14, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Sarah, How funny that you just left a comment because I just finished reading your latest post! We must be on the same wave length today. Your honesty is so refreshing and I wish you all the best with the rest of your pregnancy. Thanks for your lovely blog!

jude July 30, 2013 at 9:40 am

According to Amazon, the paperbook version came out in March 2013, and the Kindle version is due out end of December. :)

I am tempted to order the paperback just to see what happens. Maybe it’s a magic portal that lets me order books from the future…

jude July 30, 2013 at 9:40 am

Ugh, paperback, not paperbook.

Sher September 7, 2013 at 10:34 am

I *love love love* this blog, Angela. Since I got married almost 7 years ago, I’ve gained 30 lbs and become someone I hardly recognize in so many ways. This website has made me excited about working out and making healthy food; every recipe that I’ve tried here has been amazing and I’ve started to improvise (always hard for me for some reason) with great results. I tried the Green Monster Smoothie this week and it put me in the best mood! The next day, I made one using avocado, kale, flax, banana, almond milk, cocoa, a dash of maple syrup…and, while it sounded pretty risky, it was delicious! So, thank you for being there, for working so hard and inspiring so many of us. You rock!

Carly March 4, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I always make this but I never thought to do it with cocoa powder! Def trying this tomorrow!