Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 19, 2012

homemade kit kat-7234

I must have been really excited to share this post with you yesterday because while I was in the early stages of writing the post, I decided to hit publish instead of save draft. It was really no big deal and I quickly marked the post as private and it disappeared from my blog. Whew. Well, 10 minutes later, I saw the unfinished post pop up in Google Reader! Cue mini freak out. My apologies if you saw a post pop up without an actual recipe. What a tease! Not knowing what to do, I tried to overwrite the post with “ummmm ahhhh sorry, I will be back tomorrow with the post!” message, so you may have witnessed that hilarity instead.

Moral of the story: Do NOT trust me with a computer when I’m on cold meds…ever.

homemade kit kat bar recipe-7259

Moving on.

I don’t have much patience when it comes to many things – organization of any kind, taxes, traffic, slow computers, waiting for food to cool…and apparently, writing blog posts. Finicky desserts are high on the list too. Trust me, I have no idea how I ever made these cookies a few years ago. Who was that girl? Luckily, I’m high in persistence and determination (read: stubborn as heck), which is why I stuck with these Kit Kat knock-offs despite my dwindling attention span. After making a third trial this morning, I finally decided on a recipe to share with you.

And I never want to see another Kit Kat bar again.

homemade kit kat-7222 homemade kit kat-7239

That is, until the next chocolate craving hits. If you don’t mind spreading several layers of melted chocolate onto thin, easy-to-break wafers and freezing it all several times, then this dessert is for you. If you tend to get distracted by shiny objects like I do, consider yourself warned.

Orange tin-foil candy wrappers are just so pretty…

Now, it’s been years since I’ve had a Kit Kat bar, but from what I remember there are 2 layers – wafers and chocolate. Whoop-dee-doo. I wanted to spruce things up a little so I made homemade coconut whipped cream blended with cocoa powder and maple syrup. Why not?

homemade kit kat-7199

And of course, melted chocolate. I also added a thick peanut butter layer because it obviously goes amazing with chocolate. I found the tort wafers at Bulk Barn (about the size of a sheet of paper – 5 per package). If anyone else knows where to purchase tort wafers, please leave a comment below!

Speaking of patience, here are step-by-step photos with captions for all the visual learners out there. If you click on the first picture you can click through the entire (enlarged) slideshow all at once. The full recipe is linked at the bottom of the post.

homemade kit kat bar recipe-7243 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7244 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7245homemade kit kat bar recipe-7246 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7247 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7248homemade kit kat bar recipe-7249 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7250 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7251homemade kit kat bar recipe-7252 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7253 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7254homemade kit kat-7213 homemade kit kat-7212 homemade kit kat-7214

The leftover chocolate whipped cream made the perfect dipping cream for the kit kat bars!

homemade kit kat-7241

Did I mention this is not a health food?

Note to self: When you leave a huge plastic spider in the kitchen sink, you WILL scream at the sight of it several times throughout the day.

In the end, I’m quite happy with how these turned out. Due to the fussy nature of the bars, I’d probably rather make my Homemade Rolo recipe because 1) it’s much faster, 2) these bars are messy to make, and 3) I like the taste of the date caramel better.

Just my two cents. :) Maybe some of you crafty bakers can make a hybrid of the two?

To email, print, or text this recipe, click here.

I’m hoping to get rid of this awful cold as soon as possible. I’m drinking green things and oodles of tea, eating homemade soup, and trying to keep Sketchie from eating a bag of fresh rolls that are for a photoshoot later today (don’t ask…).

Have a great weekend!

Page 2 of 2«12
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 20, 2012 at 7:59 am

Oh my gosh your Kit Kat Bars look amazing!! Your spider is kind of freaking me out!! :)

{Moni} @ Moni Meals October 20, 2012 at 9:00 am

Ang! Wow, you are your Halloween Recipes are totally amazing. Thanks for such great ideas. You pics are just fantatic too! Have a great weekend as well. :)

Susan October 20, 2012 at 9:04 am

Kudos – I would never have the patience for such meticulous work. I am quite sure the result was delicious however.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 20, 2012 at 10:52 am

Duuude… wow.

I’m speechless. Just wow.

And, I’ve been caught doing the whole publish instead of save draft thing before. The darn buttons confuse me ALL the time!

Emily @ www.main-eats.com October 20, 2012 at 11:06 am

SO SO SO amazing! You have no done both of my favorite candies-Rollo’s AND Kit-Kat’s. WOW!

Tanya @ playful and hungry October 20, 2012 at 11:33 am

You seem to make all those trick or treat things! Great!
Well, this looks good! But I never really liked the original candy bar, so I guess I won’t try this one. ;)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods October 20, 2012 at 11:57 am

Wow, I’m impressed! These look divine.

[email protected] and Dishes October 20, 2012 at 1:01 pm

These are terrific. I don’t mind the fussy. Fussy make me feel like I accomplished something big.

Heather Clifford October 20, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Oh my gosh this is how you become the most popular house on halloween!

ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli October 21, 2012 at 12:07 am

I am so so so excited for these and the rolos! On another note: a friend of mine once put a sticker of a spider on their downstairs bathroom toilet seat for halloween, but ended up leaving it there all year. I still jump a little bit every time I go use that bathroom! Even if it’s multiple times throughout one night, I still jump lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012 at 9:29 am

haha that would so be me!

Brandi October 21, 2012 at 1:28 am

I make that same chocolate coconut whipping cream as a dipping sauce for fruit! Posted it a couple weeks back and it is truly decadent right?! I used dark cocoa and it’s truly amazing and soooo much better than traditional whipping cream. I was never a fan of kit kat bars, more of a butterfinger girl, but yours look really good. I bet you were worn out from all those trials. I know how that feels! My kitchen is a war zone all the time, haha! All the photos definitely help it not to seem too difficult.

urbanvegan October 21, 2012 at 9:05 am

This should get an award for the most ambitious recipe ever! Kudos :)

Emily October 21, 2012 at 9:47 am

these look great! I wish I had the patience to make them haha

m October 21, 2012 at 9:51 am

Wow!!! These look soooooooooooooooo amazing, I’m drooling hahaha!
I will be making them soon, but I have a question about your snack-size baked oatmeal: aren’t you turning some of the omega 3 fats in the flax seeds into omega 6 fats when you bake them in the oven, or is that untrue? I was just wondering, thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’m not sure, but if you are concerned about this you can certainly bake the squares at a lower temperature for a longer amount of time. Enjoy!

Kimberly October 21, 2012 at 10:50 am

Hi! I’ve been following you for a while. Love your blog and your recipes. I just made your pumpkin pie brownies last night for my sister-in-law’s birthday as a “test” for Thanksgiving. HUGE hit! Kit Kats were always my favorite candy & adding PB?!? Whoa!! Two questions: 1. Do you think almond butter would work? And 2. Is it okay if I share the pumpkin pie brownies on my blog (http://myveganture.wordpress.com/) referencing you, of course. P.S. I also made your twice baked bar nuts for my Hubby, he loves them! Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012 at 9:17 am

Yes I think almond butter would work too. Feel free to reference the recipe on your blog, by the way! So happy you enjoyed it.

Alissa N October 21, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I live in constant fear of accidentally hitting “publish” instead of “save as draft”!!!! You are so funny though, and obviously it wasn’t a big deal!! :)
These look amazing, I am loving all the Halloween recipes so far!! Kit Kats are my faves, and I wish I could just reach in and grab these!!

Nicole Marie Story October 22, 2012 at 12:12 am

Whilst visiting my parents earlier today, I showed them sneak previews of my favourite blogs, yours being one of them. My mother, a complete anti-vegan, anti-MY-lifestyle, expressed with excitement “Oh! Kit Kats!” So you intrigued my mother. Good job. :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012 at 9:31 am

whohoo impressed the mom! ;)

Jill October 22, 2012 at 12:34 am

These look amazing! Kit Kats were definitely my fave once upon a time.

I haven’t seen the individual sheets of wafer anywhere. I was thinking for a less labor intensive knockoff, you could just dip those rectangular vanilla wafer cookies in chocolate. I’m almost certain they don’t contain any animal products in the ingredients.

Sonal October 22, 2012 at 5:57 am

Oh my goodness, these looks aaaahmazing :) I don’t know where I would find wafer though, but would love to try it :)

heidi @ a week from thursday October 22, 2012 at 6:05 am

All of these candy treats are too much! But they look so good.

Misty October 22, 2012 at 7:51 am

Just an observation, but as a dedicated reader of your blog for about three years I feel like I have to tell you I’m not as excited to read the blog anymore. I used to get to work and click over to your site first thing. But I have found since you have started what I believe is the busy schedule you have with your book (which I am very excited about) your blog entries just have not been what they used to be, nor are they as often. It’s been awhile since I was really inspired here. This isn’t hate mail by any means, I just thought I should let you know. At least for me Ohsheglows, which I used to tell EVERYONE about has lost its spark for me. :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012 at 9:13 am

Hey Misty, I’m sorry to hear that you feel that way. I work extremely hard on my blog and book (about 65-70 hours a week no less) and this is very discouraging to hear. Perhaps you might consider the work that goes into maintaining a recipe blog while working on a cookbook and other endeavors. It’s not easy and I’m sorry that I can’t be everything you are looking for. Can you be more specific about what you mean? I wasn’t clear on it. Either way, I do appreciate your honest feedback and I wish you all the best.

Todd October 31, 2012 at 11:38 am

I couldn’t disagree more. Keep up the great work, Angela!

Jessica October 22, 2012 at 11:43 am

I am thinking about doing this with a healthy twist. I am thinking of making protein bars like this but with Raw Protein power mixed with almond butter…kind of like PowerCrunch bars…hmmm

Radhika SArohia October 22, 2012 at 5:12 pm

You have a vegan cookbook coming out?

That’s marvelous :D

Plz stop by Los Angeles for a book signing hehe

Radhika SArohia October 22, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Shucks, sorry, wrong email above

Anyway, I’ll be making these vegan Kit Kat soon, I’m slowly gathering up all the ingredients:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Now a signing in LA would be fun! I believe LA is in my top 10 cities (where readers are from) according to google analytics.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 23, 2012 at 12:01 am

Angela, you are AMAZING!!!! You always have the BEST ideas!!! :D

Kitchen Witch October 23, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Hello there,

Just wanted to say I enjoy your blog very much!

About the torte wafers, I saw them for sale at Honest Eds (Bloor & Bathurst in Toronto) a few years ago, and have been mulling over the idea of making a
giant Kit Kat or Coffee Crisp bar, ever since.

Thought I’d use a mocha hazelnut mixture for the center and cover it with a ganache.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you might be able to find the wafers at Honest Eds.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2012 at 7:24 am

Thanks for the tip!

MerelyMarie October 25, 2012 at 9:18 am

“Break me off a piece of that!” LOL …I couldn’t resist.

What a neat idea! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm

heh :)

Kevin Lin October 29, 2012 at 11:02 pm

looks like a healthy comfort food to me…….lol

Kevin @ Closet Cooking October 31, 2012 at 10:47 am

Making your own kit kat bars sounds like so much fun!

June Sampson October 31, 2012 at 7:16 pm

When I have the use of both hands again I will make this!

Jamie March 8, 2013 at 10:01 pm

WOW you are my hero, that is a lot of work! They look amazing!

Ariana October 21, 2014 at 11:18 am

Hi Angela! I’ve just done a Halloween recipe roundup on my blog and I included this recipe, as well as your Apple Bites, Rolo Knock-Offs, and Twix bars, with a couple of pictures, all with links back to your blog. Please let me know if this is not okay, but I know my readers will enjoy your recipes just as much as I do! Thanks :)

Rachel January 24, 2015 at 11:18 am

Honey Wafers would make excellent tort wafers! www.honeywafer.com

Catherine February 23, 2015 at 12:17 am

I was absolutely delighted to stumble across your blog and find this recipe. My boyfriend loves chocolate—especially Kit Kats!—but his intolerance towards lactose has gotten worse and worse over the years. I have been desperately trying to find recipes for lactose free chocolate desserts to make for his upcoming birthday this week, and I could hardly believe my surprise when I came across this. It is perfect; a seemingly delicious lactose free chocolate dessert that would also be impressive in presentation, that is both thoughtful (being my boyfriend’s favourite chocolate) and creative! The step-by-step photos with the captions made making these really easy, by the way, so thank you for that! Also, for those of you wondering, you can find those wafer sheets at most European grocery stores. Ask somebody working there for “tort wafers” used for “tort cakes”… they will usually know what you’re talking about. About 5 sheets come in a pack for roughly $3.

Dana March 22, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Sarah November 18, 2017 at 5:04 am

Hey, I was just wondering if there was any way these could be made nut free?? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Hey Sarah, I’m sorry not that I know of!

Gail Sherman December 28, 2017 at 9:51 am

I am dying to make these, but I can’t seem to get the actual recipe. It doesn’t appear on this page, and when I click on the link to print the recipe I get a mostly blank page.

Gail Sherman December 28, 2017 at 9:54 am

Never mind! It was apparently waiting for me to comment and make a liar out of me. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 31, 2017 at 8:50 am

Oh so glad you got it Gail! :)

natalie August 18, 2018 at 4:30 pm

I can’t wait to make these!!