3-Ingredient Halloween Apple Bites

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 15, 2012

halloween apple bites-7011

This has to be one of the easiest Halloween treats in all of Halloween treat-making history. I’m really not a crafty person when it comes to making holiday things, but these were almost fool proof.

Note the word almost! Eric and I did a “test run” one night last week and we could not stop laughing at our first couple tries (note the dried apricot tongue and vampire blood! hah), but our apple bite skills seemed to improve slightly with time.

halloween apple bites-6998

First you slice ‘em up. Feel free to rub a bit of lemon juice on them if they will be sitting out. This is why I like spreading nut butter on the middle to cover up the apple flesh – it hides a bit of browning.

halloween apple bites-7093 halloween apple bites-7094 halloween apple bites-7095halloween apple bites-7096 halloween apple bites-7098 halloween apple bites-7100

You can also core the apple and then slice in into quarters, but I found this method above made for better looking bites. Plus, you get to eat the leftover middle piece, which you will certainly want to take advantage of.

Now, spread on some jam or nut butter for the tongue and then push some slivered almonds in for the teeth. For a nut-free option, sunflower or pumpkin seeds can work in a pinch. Likewise, you could also use sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter.

halloween apple bites-7002halloween apple bites-6996 halloween apple bites-7000

Apple Bites make for a festive, healthy, and seasonal addition to any Halloween table. Given how much fun we had, I suspect kids would also have a blast making these.

Have a great Monday!

Page 2 of 2«12
Nadiya October 16, 2012 at 6:29 am

Wow! That’s so creative and healthy ^^

Monique October 16, 2012 at 8:15 am

Very creative and they look so fun to make!

sweetness of the fruit October 16, 2012 at 8:23 am

They look gorgeous! I was looking for an alternative to the marshmallow ones and these look not only more delicious but much scarier as well :-)

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles October 16, 2012 at 9:32 am

Super cute apple bites, Angela! I love holiday-themed food, and it’s even better when it’s healthy AND creative! :)

Steph October 16, 2012 at 11:11 am

If you are not opposed to using 7-up or Sprite, you can toss the apples with that before decorating; this will keep them from browning as well. Very cute idea, my boys will enjoy this for sure, thanks!

van October 16, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Cute idea!

OrGreenic October 16, 2012 at 12:56 pm

These are so perfect for a child’s Halloween party! Amazing idea, thanks for sharing!

mary @ what's cookin with mary October 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Holy creativeness! This is so neat Ange. And I love how healthy they are. Love it!!

Nicole Marie Story October 16, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Oh my dear goodness, these are adorable! If I were a homeroom mother, I would prepare these for my child’s class! Absolutely positively adorable. Sending a link to my sister who will be a homeroom mother in the foreseeable future. :)

And hi! I’ve been stalking your blog for a while. I love it! Found you via Jessica at Almost Over Now. Your blog is fresh, pretty, and healthy! Love that you’re honest about your background. And love the high quality that you output. Thanks for writing and inspiring!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 18, 2012 at 8:37 am

Thank you Nicole, it’s a pleasure to meet you!

[email protected] October 16, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Hahahaha awesome :D

[email protected] October 17, 2012 at 6:15 am

Great vegan low cost healthy alternative to the high sugar treats that most kids get! Will definitely be making these for our little munchkins!

Lesley October 17, 2012 at 7:00 pm

These are so fun! Great idea :)

Dennis Blair @ Fort Collins Personal Trainer October 18, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Ha! I saw the picture on the main page and had to come check this out. Very clever. :)

Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen October 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm

These are precious! And waaaaaaaaaay more healthy than the other’s ones I’ve seen floating around. Ha! I love the first attempts too. Hilarious!

Bek @ Crave October 19, 2012 at 9:38 pm

These are amazing! You are seriously incredible at this stuff! I wish I had even a tiny bit of your creativity

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe October 21, 2012 at 11:16 pm

These are so adorable, and I can’t get over how easy they are to make! What a great healthy option for a Halloween party!

Maia October 22, 2012 at 11:19 am

Even fun for adults! I’m looking forward to making these festive treats. Thanks for sharing the idea.

amber allen October 22, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I was just wondering how you keep them from turning brown? Or do they with the PB in them? Yeah I am new to all this stuff.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 23, 2012 at 9:33 am

You can try spreading on some lemon juice to help with the browning. They will still turn a bit though, it’s hard to prevent that entirely.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 22, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Oh. my. gosh. Those are SOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Leigh Adler October 25, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Angela, you are awesome!!! I have been struggling with food for YEARS, and am trying to find a balance between being too strict foodwise, and binging on every kind of fattening food there is. This is site (and your story) are so inspirational. I am SO glad I found it! :) PS – Sketchie is too cute! I have a couple of kitties of my own :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2012 at 8:12 am

Hi Leigh, Thanks so much for your sweet comment!

Leah J November 1, 2012 at 5:09 am

I did these this year for my son’s school halloween party. They turned out great! Thank you so much for posting a healthy alternative to the junk kids usually eat at those parties!

Lori November 1, 2012 at 12:11 pm

This recipe is too cute! I made a how-to video of it for our company blog. Thanks for the inspiration, Angela! :)

Fiona October 27, 2013 at 11:06 pm

These came out soooo well! I brought them to a pumpkin carving party tonight and people loved them! I loved how easy and and healthy they were! I thought it would be cute to use sunflower seeds as teeth and slivered almonds as the two long vampire teeth!

Amy @ Cake Diem October 29, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Hi there.

I think these apples look fab (if not a bit creepy) and I would love to feature it on my post about easy Halloween creations on my blog (cakediem.com). Would you mind if I used one of your photos in the post? It will be credited in any way you see fit and clearly linked back to this page.

Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 30, 2013 at 8:55 am

Sure, be my guest! Thanks :)

Emery October 1, 2014 at 5:25 am

I seldom leave a response, but i diid a feew seqrching and woiund upp here 3-Ingredient Halloween Aple Biyes — Oh
She Glows. And I ddo have a cople of questions for you if
it’s allright. Is it jusdt me oor does it llook like ssome off thhe responses
ook like written by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are poating onn other places, I’d like to
keep upp with anything fresh you hav too post. Could yoou lisst oof eveery one of all our socizl sites
like yojr twifter feed, Facfebook page orr lijnkedin profile?

Maria October 2, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hi! My name is Maria, and I am the editorial assistant at KrisCarr.com. We’d love to feature your Halloween recipe on KrisCarr.com and our social media outlets. We just need your permission :)

Please e-mail me at [email protected] and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Anjali (Vegetarian Gastronomy) October 31, 2014 at 1:23 am

Made these for my sons preschool halloween party and I loved them! THey were a huge hit. used sunflower butter and sunflower seeds. Your cutting tutorial is key =) thanks!

Drew October 22, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Hi! I was so happy to stubble across this post! Do you remember which kind of jam you used?

Ty October 29, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Picture 3 and 4 are identical. It’s confusing. :C

Joanna November 2, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Made these this weekend and we used broken up banana chips for the teeth and sunflower butter for a nut-free party. The banana chips are awesome and give you fangs and funny shaped teeth. Great idea!