Veggie Summer Rolls with Spicy Peanut Lime Sauce: Two Ways

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 20, 2012

IMG_2555 IMG_2463

This is the first time I’ve featured a summer roll or lettuce wrap recipe on the blog, so today, I’m giving you both. A 2-for-1 deal rarely disappoints! Unless of course, you were hoping for a 2-for-1 chocolate recipe to kick off the weekend. Maybe this will help. Anyway, I’m not sure how I haven’t made a lettuce wrap recipe on here because I really do adore them. I just never think to make them at home. This recipe is going to quickly change all that.

Summer rolls, on the other hand, I haven’t always been so sure of. I tried them a couple years ago and wasn’t a fan of the sticky rice paper wrappers. It also didn’t help that I tried the rolls plain without a dipping sauce.

I finally got the nerve to make them recently – some two years later – and much to my great surprise, I really enjoyed them. The rice wrappers weren’t as scary as I remembered (although still a bit scary) and I found when paired with a great dipping sauce, I just couldn’t get enough. If you aren’t down with the rice wrappers I have a lettuce wrap option for you to enjoy too. Lettuce wraps are also good for those times when you don’t want to fuss with rice wrappers.

Really, the show stopper of this entire recipe is this peanut lime sauce. Oh my word, it’s good. I used roasted peanut butter, low-sodium tamari, fresh lime juice, sesame oil, fresh ginger & garlic, and a touch of sugar to balance it all out. Fresh ingredients make the best peanut sauces so I don’t recommend using powdered garlic or ginger for this one. You’ll be rewarded with a sauce so good it could make cardboard taste like a delicacy!

IMG_2469

Like many sauces that have come out of my kitchen, I could not stop dipping my greedy little finger in for a million tastes!

IMG_2556

For the filling, I used extra-firm tofu (pressing it for about 20 mins while prepping the veggies and sauce), cucumber, red pepper, roasted salted peanuts, carrots, Thai basil, cilantro, and green onion. You’ll want to julienne the filling ingredients, slicing into matchstick like pieces. I’m not very patient, so I’m sure yours will turn out looking better than mine.

IMG_2520

To make the veggie rolls, start by placing a rice paper wrapper into a large bowl of hot tap water. When it’s soft and bendy, place it carefully onto a tea towel as shown below. My wrappers kept folding up on me and my first one ripped, so I suggest keeping a few extras on hand if it’s your first time working with rice wrappers. If this happens, just unfold the edges carefully. No big deal. Now, start layering the veggies and tofu on, keeping everything near the centre.

IMG_2522-2 IMG_2535IMG_2536 IMG_2537-3IMG_2538 IMG_2539IMG_2540 IMG_2541

When the filling is all on, fold the two sides inward and then scoop one end over top the filling and roll forward. Repeat for the rest!

IMG_2542 IMG_2543IMG_2544 IMG_2545-2

It took me a while to get the hang of rolling these, but in the end they turned out decent looking. Next time, I will definitely roll them a bit tighter, but I guess that comes with practice.

If you have leftover veggies like I did, just serve them on the side – another great vehicle for peanut sauce!

IMG_2554

Summer Veggie Rolls with Spicy Peanut Lime Sauce

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: approx 8 rolls + 1/2 cup peanut sauce

For the filling:

• Spring Roll Wrappers (at least 8-10)
  • 1 block firm or extra-firm tofu
  • 1/2 English cucumber, julienned
  • 1 red bell pepper, julienned
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled & julienned
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 3-4 lettuce leaves, julienned
  • 1/4 cup fresh Thai basil leaves, minced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, thick stems removed and minced
  • 1/3 cup roasted & salted peanuts
  • Herbamare or sea salt, to season

For the peanut lime sauce:

• 1-2 garlic cloves
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1/4 cup natural roasted peanut butter
  • 1/2-1 tbsp peeled & roughly chopped fresh ginger
  • 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 2 tbsp low sodium tamari
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1-3 tsp water, to thin out as needed

1. Press the tofu while you prepare the filling and sauce. For pressing instructions, see here.

2. For the filling: Julienne the vegetables (slice into long thin strips). Set aside, along with peanuts.

3. For the sauce: In a mini processor, process the sauce ingredients until smooth. Adjust to taste. You may prefer more sweetener, tamari, oil, or lime juice. Or mince everything by hand and whisk.

4. Slice pressed tofu into long thin strips. You likely won’t need the entire block.

5. Set up a roll making station and gather all of your ingredients in one area. Place a tea towel on the counter and fill a very large bowl with hot tap water. Dip one rice paper wrapper into the water and carefully submerge it once it gets soft. Hold it under water for about 10 seconds, or until soft, and remove from water carefully. Place it onto the tea towel and unfold any corners that may have rolled up.

6. Add the filling ingredients in the centre of the wrapper (see pictures in post). Be careful not to overfill or the wrappers will tear. Sprinkle with peanuts and a sprinkle of salt.

7. Roll the two sides of the rice wrapper inward and then flip the bottom over top the filling and roll forward. Place roll on a plate and cover with damp paper towels. Repeat for the rest.

8. Serve the rolls immediately with the peanut dipping sauce. If you have any leftover vegetables enjoy them dipped in the sauce on the side. Sauce should keep for at least a week in a sealed container in the fridge. Rolls will keep for 1-2 days in the fridge.

IMG_2415 IMG_2419

If you aren’t down with the rice wrappers, feel free to try this with lettuce wraps! I used President’s Choice Crispy Wraps, but use any kind of lettuce you prefer. Bibb/Butter lettuce would also work well. Lettuce wraps are certainly much quicker and less fussy than the rice wrappers, so it’s a good option if you are short on time.

IMG_2452 IMG_2455IMG_2457 IMG_2461

Thanks to those of you checked out the “Speak out against Walmart’s cruelty to pigs” petition and spread the word on Facebook yesterday. I always feel so hopeless and sad regarding factory farming issues, but thanks to grassroots organizations and committed individuals, change is possible no matter how large and overwhelming the problem. As some of you noted, the issues at the root of this are the incredibly low animal welfare standards. These industry standards need to change. No animal should have a life like that. Of course, let’s not forget the power in voting with our forks.

I don’t mean to end on a sad note, but this weighs heavily on my heart! I hope you all have a great weekend.

Page 3 of 3«123
Candice July 31, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I bought the President’s Choice crispy wraps once but after eating a few realized that they were COVERED in small red bugs (aphids?). The package even said that the wraps were “triple washed.” I haven’t bought them since. Be sure to look carefully and wash them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012 at 7:19 pm

*shudder* My worst nightmare…I’ve had this happen with produce before and it makes me literally nauseous. I dont blame you for not eating it again!!

Laura July 31, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Try either in a sushi nori (seaweed) wrap. You can get a huge pac at PAT central in Koreatown. I’ve been wrapping sprouts & spinach in them for snacks, dip it in some sauce & it’s delicious!

Regan August 10, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I just made these today. They were super easy and absolutely delicious!
I just wanted to point out that they’re labeled as “raw vegan” but since the recipe calls for roasted peanuts, peanut butter and tofu they aren’t actually raw vegan.

I highly recommend trying these out if those three things don’t restrict you.

Ann-Louise August 26, 2012 at 4:00 pm

What gorgeous food! Spring rolls are one of my favorite foods and I’ve been on the look-out for a tastey peanut sauce to have with them. I’m definately making this tomorrow!

Lacey Outlaw August 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Hi! I’m so happy I came across your site…thanks to Pintrest! I just started eating no meat, no dairy, and was getting deperate for some help. Then…ahhhhhh! Your site if FULL of ideas!
So I’m new to all of this, and especially tofu, I have a stupid question……is there any cooking involved in the tofu strips? Or do you just press it and slice it?
Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Hey Lacey, I just pressed it and sliced it, as I dont mind cold tofu. If you do, you can cook it first (a simple pan fry would do) enjoy!

Jill September 2, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I made this recipe tonight and I felt like two cloves of garlic was WAY too much. I might smell like garlic forever! Is it me?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2012 at 9:57 am

It is very garlic-y!! I will edit the recipe to say 1-2 cloves :)

Jill September 3, 2012 at 12:32 pm

It’s so good though. That peanut sauce is amazing. Thx for the response! (PS I’m a big fan of yours and have been for a few years now. Thanks for all the great ideas!)

Claudia September 3, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Mmmmm, I have made these countless of times now since finding this recipe and have to say that they are absolutely delicious! Thank you, Angela.

Hil September 9, 2012 at 1:05 am

Hi Angela,

These are delicious! I have made them at least 4 times. The last time I made a double batch! I am curious if you have the same problem as me when making the sauce. The first time I made it I used a regular sized food processor and the soy sauce leaked out from the lid. So I bought a mini food processor and the same thing happened. Does this happen to you? Any tips on how to avoid it?

I love your recipes! Thank you so much :)

hil

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2012 at 7:26 am

Hey there, Sorry to hear that happened to you – it often happens with my Cuisinart and I agree its frustrating!
I now use my mini food processor for my sauces – no leaking problems so far!

Magda Young September 24, 2012 at 8:56 am

I made these last night for dinner and to have for lunch today… and oh boy, I can’t possibly wait 3 more hours to have them for lunch!!! So simple and delicious! This is going to be my new staple….these are GF and I can fill it with all the veggies I like. So convenient as well as it can be pre-prepped by cutting the veggies beforehand. (I don’t tolerate peanuts well, so I used GF sweet hot chili sauce).

Shawna November 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I have just recently become a vegetarian and just bought some tofu for the first time (I have never had it before- eek!) I could only find medium-firm tofu, but have realized that not many recipes that I have looked at anywhere use that kind of tofu. Does it really matter if it’s medium or firm or extra firm?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 3, 2012 at 7:46 am

Hey Shawna, It’s a personal preference when it comes down to it. I prefer firm tofu (I drain it too) because the texture is nicer to me. You can experiment with what you enjoy though! Goodluck

Sarah July 10, 2013 at 11:00 am

I have never liked tofu, but this looks so good I have to try it. I was surprised the tofu was raw. I had to look up whether it was safe to eat raw.

By the way, I love your site! It is so inspiring!

Cory August 5, 2013 at 6:26 am

My fiancé told me…this sauce is highly addictive.Great spring rolls and that sauce…yumm,I could slurp it with a straw ;)

Julie T. August 19, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I made these last week, yum! The sauce was so good we’re having it on cold rice noodles with some blanched and chilled broccoli for a light summer dinner tonight. Thanks!

Morgan January 4, 2014 at 1:49 pm

I found that using a Silpat, vs a tea towel, worked fabulous. I fill a 12 inch skillet with luke warm water. After sliding the paper through the water 2 times, just let it sit for about 30 seconds on the Silpat. It will naturally soak up the excess water and become pliable. Here is a great link that had great tips and brand suggestions: http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/06/how-to-wrap-rice-paper-rolls-summer-rolls.html

Noreen January 13, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Made these spring rolls this evening. They were simple to prepare and delicious. Thank you for sharing.

Sonya February 11, 2014 at 10:44 am

Wow! You did a fabulous job with this recipe, “Veggie Summer Rolls with Spicy Peanut Lime Sauce”. I can’t wait to try it. I am very impressed by your efforts in posting all of the detailed instructions and clear, concise pictures to follow. So well done!
Thanks again :) Blessings

Q February 27, 2014 at 4:41 am

Protip: Don’t soak the rice paper so long. 10 seconds or until soft is too long. You want to quickly get it wet in hot water which will take maybe 3-5 seconds. The paper will still feel stiff but it quickly becomes saturated as you start gathering things To place and roll. By the time you’re ready to roll it up it should be soft enough but not soggy and easily prone to ripping. If you start when it’s soggy, it will only get soggier.

Stephanie April 29, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Thank you for this super easy and delicious recipe! Once my coworkers found out I am vegan, we started spending a lot of time talking about food. One of them suggested I try making spring rolls with rice paper as I have never tried this. She brought me some from an Asian store and wow are they delicious! I have to admit I was afraid of the rice paper but it turned out to be very easy to work with. Thanks again!

Karan Kumar January 17, 2015 at 8:07 am

its too good way to earn the knowledge about the cook things from here
I love to cook these things
And I love to spend time here

Claire March 30, 2015 at 12:13 pm

I have everything ready to make these, so will do it this week :) If you’re on Instagram I’ll take a photo and tag you :)

Denise May 1, 2015 at 12:23 am

Is it okay to use honey or some alternative in the peanut sauce if I don’t have sugar?

lisa February 11, 2016 at 2:02 pm

I used honey, and subbed almond butter instead of peanut butter, and it came out great!

Sophia September 7, 2017 at 7:00 am

Yum! I made a couple of changes to make these slightly closer to my usual rice paper rolls (sesame seeds instead of peanuts + brown rice vermicelli, no capsicum, fried the tofu in sesame oil & soy sauce). The sauce was amaaaaazing.

Rebecca Lake March 6, 2018 at 2:49 pm

This peanut sauce reminds me of the peanut sauce I used to get at Thai restaurants. Delish! I am trying to reverse all my heart disease by eating no oil however, so I can’t make this sauce with the sesame oil. I love sesame oil. It’s just not on my palate right now. I can’t really even eat Tahini because of the fat content. Any suggestions?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2018 at 6:55 am

Hey Rebecca, I’m so happy you love this peanut sauce so much! I’m sorry I don’t know of any swaps for the oil and tahini. You could try adding a bit more water to thin it as needed, but the flavour would of course change quite a bit.

Sarah October 21, 2018 at 6:33 pm

Even my very picky mother loved these, can be made with baby shrimp if you’re not vegetarian! Amazing thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2018 at 10:28 am

Isn’t that the best feeling? So glad the rolls were a hit Sarah! :)