Light and Fresh Avocado Cream Verrines

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 9, 2011

IMG_4201

My High protein and high fibre cereal turned out to be a bit disappointing in the satiety department! I was hungry after only 3 hours which is disappointing because the bowl was about 600 calories and packed with protein, fibre, and healthy fats.

What gives, cereal? It did last me much, much longer than a normal bowl of cereal would, so I guess that is progress.

There was a possible confound in my study though! I worked out after breakfast for 45 minutes on the elliptical, which I am sure increased my appetite more than usual. In conclusion, replication of this study is required, but I don’t see myself relying on cereal too much!

By noon, I was more than ready for lunch.

I had a big salad composed of mixed Romaine greens, carrot, tomato, warm red lentils mixed with hummus, with a drizzle of my Better than bottled balsamic vinaigrette.

IMG_4170

I loved this huge bowl and gobbled it up.

IMG_4173

Along side of my salad, I tried something new…

IMG_4201

Have you ever heard of a Verrine?

I hadn’t…until I saw it on Tartelette the other day!

According to Wiki, A Verrine is ‘a confection, originally from France, made by layering ingredients in a small glass. It can be either sweet or savoury, making a dessert or snack.’

Cool, huh? Reminds me of a parfait. I searched Verrine on google images and I was delighted to see soooo many Verrine pictures!

ver

I can see myself having a lot of fun with these! As you know, layering is totally my soft spot. ;)

The first thing you do is roast the peppers for about 40 minutes. I used 2 red peppers and some chopped onion.

IMG_4190

Cook the quinoa on the stove top and just before everything is ready, make the avocado cream sauce.

IMG_4182

IMG_4189

Layer and serve!

This Verrine was DELICIOUS! I think I’m in love. :)

IMG_4207

[print_this]

Light and Fresh Avocado Cream Verrines

Lightly adapted from Tartelette.

Yield: 2 servings

• 2 peppers, chopped with seeds removed
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
  • Pinch of Kosher salt & Black pepper
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1.5-2 cups vegetable broth (or water + couple pinches salt)
  • 2 small avocados
  • Juice of 2 limes (1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped Cilantro
  • 3 green onions, finely chopped
  • kosher Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400F and line a pan with parchment or non-stick mat. In a bowl, mix together the EVOO, salt, pepper, onion, and red pepper. Scoop onto pan and roast for about 40 minutes just until they begin to blacken. Watch closely after 25-30 minutes.

2. In a medium sized pot, combine the quinoa and veggie broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook 15 to 20 minutes until the quinoa is light and fluffy. Add more water or broth if it begins to dry out. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.

3. In a medium sized bowl, mash the avocado with the rest of the ingredients (lime juice, cilantro, onion, salt and pepper) until smooth with a fork. Layer the verrine with a layer of peppers, a layer of avocado cream, a layer of quinoa. Repeat once or twice. repeat. Makes 2 servings.

[/print_this]

Enjoy your Saturday!

Page 2 of 2«12
Rebecca April 9, 2011 at 3:38 pm

J’adore! LOVE the French influence. :) Your version is much lighter than the verrines usually served here AND it features quinoa, avocado and cilantro (three things that I could actually be happy eating every day, especially together) – BRAVO! Can’t wait to try it! And I too seem to never be filled up from cereal (what IS it about cereal?) but I still love it, I Just end up eating two breakfasts! haha Or have you thought of adding yogurt? (soy yogurt, of course) Makes it creamier and I find, more hearty and protein-filled. OR just be more French and lay off the elliptical? ;) JK
Thanks for another fab recipe, keep up the Frenchified fare – love it!
Bisous from Paris, Rebecca

JL goes Vegan April 9, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Okay, I haven’t tried it yet, but this might become my favorite OSG recipe! Love everything about it! I love the ingredients and I love the presentation! I can’t wait to try it.

tweal April 9, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I’d never heard of a verrine. Looks delish, I will try one soon!

megan @ the oatmeal diaries April 9, 2011 at 5:25 pm

The verrine looks BEAUTIFUL. Your photos always make me smile without fail!!

Nanette @ Making Me New April 9, 2011 at 5:41 pm

That sounds so good, and pretty easy! Now I’m craving avocado!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 9, 2011 at 5:44 pm

That looks so good! It’s like a meal parfait!

Renée April 9, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Weird thing to compliment, but those carrots look awesome! Is it weird to crave carrots? :D

Stacy @ Say It With Sprouts April 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm

It’s amazing how much better food tastes when it looks beautiful, too!

sonia April 9, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Hi Angela,

The verrine made with quinoa and avocado is looking absolutely delightful, loved the natural flavors and fibres, just perfect to gobble any time of the day….cheers !

staceyhealthylife April 9, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Great idea. I love anything layered also.

Kat @ Cupcake Kat April 9, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Cereals always seem to fill me up as long as its a healthy bowl! Maybe cereals are not filling for you because its just the way your body works
This verrine looks delicious. What a great idea!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 9, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I saw Helene’s post and drooled over it! Her photography and recipes are just gorgeous, as are yours, of course!

Love this recipe and for the 411 on just what makes a verrines.

Sorry your cereal proved to be less than filling. Darn. Hate it when that happens!

rawkinmom April 9, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I have seen layered dishes but never knew they had a name!!! Your looks amazing…those roasted red peppers are drool worthy!!!!

[email protected] April 9, 2011 at 9:18 pm

That looks like a great cute idea. Too bad about the cereal. I have been into buckwheat cereal. Not sure it would have that many cals in and hold you much longer though.

Hilary April 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Oooh yum! I have heard of verrines (Epicure came out with some glasses/recipes last fall), but have yet to try them…..I want to now!

The Teenage Taste April 9, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Mmmmmm. This looks delicious! Perfect for spring!
PS – I just made your Ultimate Vegan Walnut Lentil Loaf and it was amazing! My entire family loved it! Thanks! :-)

Zestful Lou April 9, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I saw so many sweet verrines on my trip to Paris! I had no idea that’s what they were called though! And I don’t think I’ve seen a savory one before…

Heather (Faces of Beauty) April 9, 2011 at 10:50 pm

ooooooh yummy…a verrine sounds fantastic! layering is the best :)

Johanna GGG April 9, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Fantastic recipe – makes me think it would be excellent in a little cup type container and taken along for lunch – would be so easy to store in the fridge – though I am not sure if avocado would be the right filling for making ahead.

I can’t remember if I have commented before but I have been enjoying reading this blog recently and have given you a Stylish Blogger award – http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/2011/04/memes-are-due-thanks-are-due.html – pass on if you have the time or inclination or just take it as a sign of my enjoyment of your blog :-)

Kristy H April 10, 2011 at 12:46 am

Layered food rocks! It looks beautiful as does that huge bowl of salad. I always look forward to reading your blog daily, it puts a smile on my face and encourages me to make good food and exercise choices throughout the day. Im trying to tone up for my wedding this year and already i have easily lost a small amount of weight in the two weeks i have been eating nearly all vegan meals and running again. I feel great and your right, you do glow from the inside out! many thanks.

Christine @ Burning It Off April 10, 2011 at 5:49 am

Totally agree about cereal! I love the stuff, but I am starving within an hour or so of eating it. Those Verrines look like so much fun… you can play around with all kinds of different flavors and textures!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 10, 2011 at 6:19 am

never ever heard of a verrine but hey- doesnt matter cuz i know that ill love this!!

Char April 10, 2011 at 7:23 am

Anything with avocado in it has got my attention!

Karen April 10, 2011 at 7:26 am

Love the verrine. It would be great in a trifle bowl for a dinner party.

Karen

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 10, 2011 at 8:13 am

Layered things just taste better. I totally agree with you. I’ve never heard of these Verrines… but they sound intriguing. I guess now we have a name for all the layered things we create! I betcha a black bean layer would be pretty good in this too!

Amber K April 10, 2011 at 10:22 am

I’m not quite seeing the difference between the verrine and the parfait, but either way both tend to look absolutely delicious!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons April 10, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I can’t wait to make this!!!!!!!!

Lana April 10, 2011 at 4:41 pm

You’ve been making Verrines all along and never even knew it! Now you have an even fancier word to go along with your fancy eats. Love it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 8:06 pm

like trying to say it with a French accent ;)

Hannah April 10, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Hi Angela,

I’m a new reader to your blog!

I ablsolutely love all of your photos on your posts, and was wondering if you photoshop them yourself, or you have a certain type of camera that makes them all look as pretty as they do!

Xx Hannah

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 8:06 pm

thanks! I used Lightroom (adobe) and I have a canon DSLR camera.

Caitlin @ Quest for Fitness April 10, 2011 at 9:23 pm

First time reading your blog, and I LOVE it! Your pictures are beautiful, and this recipe looks amazing. Thanks for sharing it!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious April 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Yum!! Your salad and the verrine look delicious! Now how will I ever choose what I’m going to have for dinner tonight — too many amazing meal ideas and just not enough time!

Kathy April 13, 2011 at 2:00 pm

love it!!! I hope u will submit to www.FindingVegan.com ~kathy

marla {family fresh cooking} April 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Love the idea of savory verrines – so pretty too!

heidi April 14, 2011 at 8:34 am

Wow. This looks divine! Thanks for sharing, I’ll have to try it out.

Sandra April 17, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I just made this recipe. It was soooooooo good and so filling! Thank you for posting this recipe!

Jessica Farnsworth May 5, 2011 at 9:07 am

Hi Angela–
I’ve made these several times now since your post–they are a lovely and delicious meal!!! If I’ve got a family member over I’ve gotten comments like–what is that? It looks so gourment, wow! and WOW is right–a healthy and great side dish or double it and add more fresh veggies for a meal! thanks. also, LOVED your soaked oats and then the parfaits with them inside. Can’t wait to try your salds either. Thanks for your abundance!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 5, 2011 at 10:09 am

that is great to hear!

Jessica Farnsworth May 5, 2011 at 9:18 am

PS–thank you as well for “Oh She Glows”…I have your sight saved as a “favorite” not only for your beautiful pictures and recipes, but because of your positive energy, outlook and love–I visit OSG because I know I will leave feeling inspired and with a little better (if not a lot) outlook on just about everything, than when I came. THANK YOU!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 5, 2011 at 10:09 am

aww thank you so much!

Heather Lynn April 22, 2013 at 10:47 am

The quinoa Verrine was a total dream for Earth Day-eve dinner. An easy pleaser to the eye – and even more to taste buds. Paired it with a dish of canteloupe for dessert and it was a complete meal. http://pho.to/1wEuZ

Reduced avocado by half and added steamed, minced broccoli for bulk. Also roasted fresh and sundried tomatoes with the red pepper and onions (only had one pepper on hand). Replaced cilantro (guest dislikes) with parsley and basil.

Will be making again – love the versatility. Planning to tweak for a mexican and for a peanut thai version as well!

Lala April 1, 2016 at 3:08 pm

tried it! loved it! Many thanks!

Yonida April 23, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Angela,

I tried these today and they were delicious! As usual you nailed the recipe! I can’t wait till your new books come out. My entire family loves your recipes.

Angela Liddon April 25, 2016 at 1:34 pm

I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe, Yonida! And thanks for your enthusiasm for the new cookbook – I hope you love it when it finally arrives!