Maple-Cinnamon Superseed Almond Butter

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 13, 2011

IMG_2668

Last June, my blog buddy Ashley came for a visit! It was our first time meeting ‘in real life’. I was nervous and basically had hot flashes anticipating her arrival.

IMG_9486b2

Luckily, we hit it off.  :)

We bonded over foodie gifts..

IMG_9499IMG_9500

Oatmeal.

IMG_95312

[That would be my favourite VOO –> Cherry Chocolate Bomb Vegan Overnight Oats]

Photography…

IMG_95201_of_13

And hiking!

IMG_1558

Oh, and nut butter. It was on this visit that Ashley gave me some of her Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter and Salt-Kissed Cashew Butter.  Before then, I was always a Homemade Raw Almond Butter kinda gal, but she inspired me to experiment with other homemade nut butter flavours!

I have since made 4 Ingredient Dark Chocolate Almond Butter

IMG_8863_thumb

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter                                       and Dark Chocolate Pecan Butter

IMG_8759_thumbIMG_9019_thumb

Clearly my nut butters are simply another vessel for chocolate. I blame PMS.

Yesterday, I made a spin-off of Ashley’s Vanilla Bean Maple Almond Butter. It was also inspired by Naturally Nutty’s Cinnamon Vanilla Almond Butter made with chia, flax, and hemp seed that I spotted on Kath Eats. I thought the idea of adding chia, flax, and hemp seed was a great way to sneak in more nutrients.

And I’m totally down for anything that gives me another reason to eat nut butter!

IMG_2682

3.8 from 5 reviews

Maple-Cinnamon Superseed Almond Butter

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

This is easily the most delicious almond butter I've ever tasted! The secret to this incredible nut butter is to coat the almonds in maple syrup, hemp hearts, chia seeds, and flaxseeds, and then roast it all until fragrant and golden. After processing for about 5 to 10 minutes, it turns into the creamiest, "drippy" nut butter ever. I love adding a healthy portion of cinnamon, fine sea salt, and pure vanilla bean powder (or extract) to take it over the top. You'll be enjoying this spread straight out of the processor bowl—I can promise you that! I recommend using a heavy-duty food processor when making nut butters; the smaller machines just don't have the power to do the job and might burn out.

Yield

• 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla bean powder

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix together the almonds, flaxseeds, hemp hearts, chia seeds, and maple syrup until combined.
  2. Spread the almond mixture onto baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
  3. Remove from oven and allow the almond mixture to cool for 10 minutes before placing into a food processor.
  4. Add the almonds into the food processor along with the coconut oil. Process for about 5 to 10 minutes, stopping to scrape the bowl every 60 seconds, or as needed. (Be sure to leave the processor chute uncovered so the steam from the almonds can escape.) The mixture will be very drippy and smooth when ready.
  5. Add in the cinnamon, salt, and vanilla and process until combined.
  6. Remove the almond butter and store in a glass jar or a container with an airtight lid. If the almond butter is still warm, allow it to come to room temperature before securing the lid.

Nutrition Information

Serving Size 1 tablespoon (15 mL) | Calories 100 calories | Total Fat 7 grams
Saturated Fat 1 grams | Sodium 25 milligrams | Total Carbohydrates 5 grams
Fiber 2 grams | Sugar 2 grams | Protein 3 grams

Recipe makes 1 1/4 cups total.
* Nutrition data is approximate and is for informational purposes only.

IMG_2629IMG_2494

Have you ever made homemade nut butter before?

It is really quite easy if you have a processor or blender that will do the work. This recipe requires more time than any nut butter recipe I have made before (due to the almond roasting), but it was so worth it in the end!

Mix together the almonds, chia, flax, hemp, and maple syrup. Spread out onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring once half way through, at 300F.

IMG_2510 IMG_2513

After 30 minutes of roasting:

IMG_2523

Eric came into the kitchen when I was making this yesterday morning and he said, ’Mmm it smells amazing in here! WOW!

When I told him that I was making nut butter, he was crushed (he hates nut butter).

He thought I was making waffles!

I pity the fool.

IMG_2525

For the first 5 minutes of processing, stop and scrape down the bowl every 30-60 seconds as needed. In the initial stages, I stop every 30 seconds or so.

After 5 minutes (half-way point):

IMG_2530

After 5 more minutes of processing, my nut butter was ready! I added in the cinnamon, salt, and vanilla around minute 9.

I won’t tell you how much fun licking the bowl is. That would just be mean.

IMG_2532

It makes about 1 and 1/4 cup.

IMG_2536 IMG_2546

The result is an almond butter with a deep roasted flavour and layers of nuttiness with just a hint of sweetness. I didn’t detect the chia, hemp, or flax flavours specifically, but I was happy knowing they were in there!

I enjoyed some apple slices spread with nut butter and strawberry jam.

IMG_2591I

Unreal!

The clean up for this photoshoot was also a good time. ;)

IMG_2672

If you’d like to make chunky almond butter, you can process or chop some almonds and then stir it back into the almond butter. I think I will try that next time!

Does anyone know if I can make nut butter in my Vitamix without a DRY container? I’m scared to ruin it!

Have a great Monday!

Page 4 of 4«1234
Julia December 18, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I know this is an older post, but in an attempt to make yummy, not full of sugar vegan presents, I gave this recipe a whirl. Delicious! I am labeling it hippy almond butter (because of the hemp seed- and to be funny). Also, I start all almond butter in my (wet)Vitamix pitcher (to crunch everything evenly) then process in my cuisinart. It’s more to clean but doesn’t overheat the food processor as much. Plus you can make a smoothie after too. Thanks for your creative recipes! All the best!!

ofcorset April 1, 2014 at 11:47 am

So I made this delicious recipe but did not have a food processor strong enough. It never really turned into butter. What it did make is an amazingly delicious sprinkle for my overnight soaked oatmeal and yogurt. Absolutely wonderful.

Kathy May 16, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I know this is an older post, but I have been trying to make almond butter at home (for a couple years) and it has not turned out at all. I have a regular food processor and an 800W blender. I had tried the processor on several occasions and it would puree the nuts, but would go no further with them. So this time I started them in the blender and it whirled them until they stuck to the sides of the blender and the blade simply spun around without touching the butter. So I transferred the goop to the processor and whirled away. I worked on the mess for 3 days (not a total of 3 days, but as time permitted). I finally got the nuts to form a ball, but the processor got so hot you couldn’t touch the base and every time I took the lid off to stir the nuts, smoke came out. My almond goop never got smooth and creamy. It was like a playdough paste and would go no further. Is that because I don’t have a powerful enough processor? Or was i doing something incorrectly. This got so frustrating I finally gave up. Thanks for any tips you can offer.

Anastasiia July 12, 2014 at 8:13 pm

LOVE THIS! I tried to make it today and it wasn’t turning into a creamy paste and was so dry. I used dry roasted almonds, may be it’s that? So I just added 1/2 cup of almond milk and kept spinning and it finally turned out the way i like it.

Mandy July 19, 2014 at 4:43 pm

This sounds delicious! Can’t wait to try it! How long does it stay good for and does it need to be refrigerated or not? Thanks :)

Ginakins August 23, 2014 at 9:24 am

I made this almond butter and it is to die for! My husband can’t get enough and my friends keep bugging me to make more. I will next try the 4 ingredient chocolate almond.
Thanks so much for sharing your recipes, can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

Diane P March 4, 2015 at 1:48 pm

If I only have ground flax can I use that? If so, how much do I use?

marie March 10, 2015 at 5:46 am

Looks amazing and nutritional with nuts like almonds which are good for brain health

Elaine March 11, 2015 at 4:49 pm

I’ve been trying to make the Almond Butter in the food process0ror but even tho the blend was steaming, it is still crumbly and won’t hold together. Can you tell me what I’m doing wrong? I processed it for at least 15 minutes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2015 at 9:33 am

Hi Elaine, Sorry to hear that! What kind of food processor are you using? I find smaller machines don’t always work. I use a heavy duty 12 or 14 cup processor by Cuisinart and it works every time. Hope this helps!

carin March 16, 2015 at 8:14 am

I have made this a number of times. The only time it actually “worked” and looked like creamy almond butter whas the first time. While it always tastes delicious, every other the almond butter doesn’t stick together. I have pureed it for up to 20+ minutes. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Dennis April 2, 2015 at 5:48 pm

I tried this receive twice but couldn’t get to look how it looks in the picture so I have two questions?
Q
1. How to roast nuts and seeds without sticking? since I am using maple syrup, most of the seeds just sticks and I can’t even use them
2. And how do I get liquid constitancy? I have ran the food rocessor for about 15 minutes and it was still a bit hard not the kind I see in the picture.

Olivia Morffew April 27, 2015 at 12:24 am

I made this and nearly ate it all in one hit. It taste majestical :D

Georgia Thompson June 3, 2015 at 1:57 pm

I attempted this last night in my Vita-mix…I DON’T have a dry container. So…I read the instructions in my Vita-mix manual for making Peanut Butter. Said to blend raw peanuts for 1 minute, no more than that or it will mess up the unit. So I blended the almonds for 1 minute…no luck. I let it rest for 2 minutes then blended for another minute. still not good, it was a dry heap of almond powder! I added some coconut oil and it started to come together, blending in 30 second intervals. I was so scared to mess up my machine!!! BUT…I was dying to make this!! I ended up with a dry paste-like consistency, BUT, I must say, it is VERY tasty…just hard to spread. I spread it on my granola bar this morning and it was SOOOO good!! I dont have a food processor, and really thought the Vita-mix would work…oh well…still got some tasty spread, just not ooey-gooey…

Sarah June 11, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Yummi! I just found this recipe and went straight to my kitchen ;) It’s so good. I spread it into a pitted Medjool-Date – amazing. Thanks for sharing , Angela

Christine September 13, 2015 at 2:12 am

New to all this. Just overhauling my diet. Love the recipe and your site. How long will this keep in the refrigerator?

Annette September 16, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Just made the maple cinnamon almond butter and the dark chocolate almond butter. So easy and so delicious. Bringing first batch to my daughter in college. Second batch for me. Would make a great Christmas treat/gift. Thank you!

Sarah October 18, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Angela – This maple cinnamon almond butter is out of control good! It was my first time making nut butter, and as I sit here licking the bowl i know i’ll never get store-bought again. Thank you!!

Annie December 20, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Looks fantastic! I want to try to make this for my boyfriend’s mom as a Christmast gift. Can you use ground flax seed in place of whole?

Cindy April 27, 2016 at 11:25 am

Awesome recipe! How do we store it? At room temperature or refrigerate it?

Angela Liddon April 27, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Hi Cindy, I store it in the fridge in an airtight container.

YVONNE LIM May 12, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Thank you very much for sharing this awesome recipe, been searching for a good almond butter recipe, this look like the one.

Angela Liddon May 13, 2016 at 10:00 am

Hi Yvonne, I hope you like it if you give it a try!

Karen Brown May 18, 2016 at 3:35 am
Recipe Rating:

This is BY FAR the best nut butter I have ever made or tasted! Thank you! I don’t think you can use your vitamix to make nut butters. Not wet enough and motor will burn out! I will never complain about my very heavy Cuisanart food processor again! It did the job great for this recipe;)

LORI August 1, 2016 at 2:34 pm
Recipe Rating:

Always looking for a bit of sweetness to add to my lunch, and this coupled with sliced apple totally did the trick. LOVE IT!

Angela Liddon August 2, 2016 at 11:26 am

Glad to hear it, Lori!

Kathleen October 17, 2016 at 1:15 pm
Recipe Rating:

After poor results for this recipe from the Oh She Glows Cookbook I came online to see if I could read some comments from anyone suffering from the same thing. I just couldn’t get my butter to be creamy. The problem became clear on this site .Upon reading the ingredients here, 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil is called for, in the book 1-2 TEASPOONS. Big difference to be sure even considering here there is flax,in the book there is not.
As usual most comments were about how great a recipe sounds and not how good it tastes.

Aiden July 25, 2017 at 8:43 pm
Recipe Rating:

For those of you who are having trouble with this recipe and are fortunate enough to have both a good quality food processor and a high speed blender, I found a solution.

So I am a boring and predictable person who likes routine, and one of my routines is having a piece of sprouted bread with some sort of nut butter (and sometimes some chia jam if I’m feeling crazy) for a snack every day. So, suffice to say I have made my fair share of nut butters over the last few years.

This one was the most stubborn and difficult one I have ever made. I processed it with a full tablespoon of coconut oil until I feared the death of my processor. It got liquidy but not smooth – still chunks of nuts and seeds throughout. I tried to let my processor cool down and give it another go but I guess I had WAY overheated it. And then I spied my Breville Boss.

With about 30 seconds on the “Blend” setting (it’s a medium speed setting for those of you with Vitas and Blendtecs etc.), I had the smooth and creamy consistency pictured above.

The verdict? It’s pretty good. Worth it this time, but I won’t be remaking it. Probably more of a 3.5 just due to the struggle (it took me 2.5h all told – including the measuring/roasting/cooling) but I’ll be generous. :)

Robin November 13, 2016 at 10:26 am

This looks great, and I think I’m going to make this as a gift for a friend. How long do you think this would keep?

Angela Liddon November 17, 2016 at 11:11 am

Hi Robin, Oh, I hope your friend loves it! What a lovely idea for a gift.  Stored in the fridge in an airtight container, it keeps at least a month.

Karen August 28, 2017 at 8:40 am

Hi Angela, I make almond butter all the time in my wet vitamix container and I always have to add a little bit of coconut oil to get it going well, but once it is made, the oil goes to the top and I drain it so that I don’t have too much oil. It always turns out great. I am excited to try your recipe in my vitamix.

Carol February 14, 2018 at 2:52 pm
Recipe Rating:

I need help. this totally seized on me! I sprouted and dehydrated my almonds and added to vitamin with 1/2 Tablespoon coconut oil and 3 T maple and the almonds got super creamy/blended – but it’s still a weird consistent with pockets of oil/liquid. Can’t get it ymmy and smooth, anyone else having issues?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 15, 2018 at 9:06 am

Hey Carol, Water tends to make things like this seize. Is it possible your almonds weren’t fully dehydrated? I have never tested this recipe with sprouted and dehydrated almonds before.

Carol February 14, 2018 at 6:49 pm

Hi – I did some research and I think it seized because I used maple syrup direct,
I think when you cook it – it turns into sugar and not a liquid and therefore doesn’t seize.
But if there is additional help please let me know!
Also – I SEE YOU POSTED WITH MY FULL NAME – please remove just my first name please – did not realize it would be published this way!!! Thanks!!!

Stephanie March 20, 2018 at 4:11 pm

I just made this in my vitamix with out the dry container. Worked just fine. And the almond butter was delicious!

Jacqueline Trimeloni September 14, 2018 at 2:45 pm

I really want to make the almond butter bad but my Vita Mix is 30 years old and aluminum. The first time I tried, I put 2 cups of raw almonds in and all I got back was almond meal. :(