My Favourite Snickerdoodles

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 24, 2010

20101124-IMG_3241

I have always loved Snickerdoodles, but it occurred to me today that I have never made a vegan version before.

A Snickerdoodle is a type of sugar cookie that is rolled in cinnamon sugar and has a beautiful crackled surface. They are often over-looked when it comes to cookies, but I just love their simplicity and short ingredient list.

You can make Snickerdoodles crisp or soft depending on your preference and you can also determine their thickness with an adjustment to the temperature of the dough before cooking. If you bake the dough at room temperature the cookies will be flatter and spread out more, but if you bake the dough when it has been chilled in the fridge the cookies will remain thicker and more pillowy.

holiday cookie

This Vegan Snickerdoodle is the first cookie in my Favourite Vegan Holiday Cookies feature. From now until the end of the holiday season, I will be featuring a new vegan holiday cookie at least once a week. If you have any suggestions for cookies you would like to see, let me know. I won’t be able to get to all of them, but I will try to make popular requests! :)

Shall we begin?

20101124-IMG_3227

[print_this]

Snickerdoodles

These vegan Snickerdoodles have a crisp edge with a soft centre and they are a breeze to throw together. Instead of all-purpose flour, I amped up the nutrition in these cookies by using whole wheat pastry flour. I also reduced the sugar substantially while still creating a delicious tasting cookie. If you prefer, you can use 1 cup of all-purpose flour for a more classic Snickerdoodle. This recipe makes about 10 cookies, but it can easily be doubled if you’d like a bigger batch.

Inspired by Joy of Baking.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
  • 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp white sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tartar* (see note)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 flax egg (1/2 tbsp ground flax + 1.5 tbsp warm water)
  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance (or butter)
  • Cinnamon sugar: 1 tbsp sugar + 1 tsp cinnamon, mixed together

Directions: In a small bowl, mix the 1/2 flax egg. Set aside. In a medium sized bowl cream the sugar, Earth Balance (or butter), and vanilla until incorporated. Add in the flax egg and beat for about 60 seconds. In another bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together (cream of tartar, baking soda, flour, and pinch of cinnamon). Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir well. Use your hands to knead together the dough. Shape the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, preheat the oven to 375F and take about 1.5 tbsp of dough and shape into a ball. Roll in cinnamon sugar and then press the ball with a fork to flatten slightly. Repeat 9 more times to make 10 cookies.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. (If you want chewy cookies bake for 10 minutes and if you want crispy cookies bake for 12 minutes.) Cool for about 10 minutes. Makes 10 cookies.

Note: I have heard that you might be able to get away with substituting the cream of tartar and baking soda with baking powder. However, I have not tested this out myself. If you try this leave a comment and let me know how it worked out.

[/print_this]

There are not many ingredients at all in these cookies! Very easy to throw together.

20101124-IMG_3171

I also made a mini-batch because sometimes you just want a handful of cookies and not enough to feed the entire neighbourhood. ;)

However, you can easily double or triple this recipe should you wish.

Cream together your Earth Balance (or butter), sugar, and vanilla…

20101124-IMG_3174

Beat in the 1/2 flax egg…

20101124-IMG_3178

Add dry ingredients…and stir.

20101124-IMG_3179

It will look something like this. Now get in there with your hands and squish it all together!

20101124-IMG_3182

Form a slightly flattened ball and cover with plastic wrap.

20101124-IMG_3183

Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Chilling the dough results in a slightly thicker and more pillowy cookie. However, if you don’t mind flatter Snickerdoodles you can bake them right away. The cooking time might differ slightly though.

Make your cinnamon sugar.

20101124-IMG_3191

I reduced the sugar a lot in this recipe and I got away with it because I knew the cookies would be rolled in cinnamon sugar. There is no sense in making a super sweet cookie when you will be rolling it in sugar. The result was PERFECT too!!

After chilling, roll into 10 balls.

20101124-IMG_3199

Roll in cinnamon sugar.

20101124-IMG_3204

Flatten slightly with a fork.

20101124-IMG_3209

Easy!

20101124-IMG_3212

Now bake for 10-12 minutes at 375F. I baked mine for 10.5-11 minutes and the result was a crispy edge and a soft middle.

20101124-IMG_3236

I am in love with the slightly crunchy edge and soft centre and light cinnamon flavour.

20101124-IMG_3214

These Snickerdoodles are definitely in my top 5 cookies of all time!

20101124-IMG_3237

What are your favourite holiday cookies?

Page 3 of 3«123
Wendy November 25, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Ok just had one and it was yummy. I DID substitute with baking powder for cream of tartar and they were fine.

Suzie November 25, 2010 at 2:15 pm

This is kind of unrelated, but I’ve been reading for a few months, but totally missed all of September & your trip to Paris (due to lack of internet!) So I don’t know if you mentioned this, or know about it…but thought you would like to know if you didn’t!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2010 at 2:39 pm

yes I did see that!

manou November 25, 2010 at 8:42 pm

I didn’t know snickerdoodles before, but they look amazing !! I have to make some soooon :)
It would be great to see some x-mas cookie dough balls on your blog – maybe with some chocolate & cinnamon & toasted almonds inside :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) November 27, 2010 at 1:05 am

I really like shortbread!

I have used a chia egg, but not a flax egg … do they work equally well?

The Robertsons of Mumbai November 27, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Quick question – after “1/2 flax egg” in the ingredient list, you note the ingredients for the flax egg. Is the amount you specify = to 1 flax egg (and so therefore, we need to half that), or is that the amount to make 1/2 flax egg which is needed for the recipe?

Thanks so much! I look forward to trying these!

Jennifer

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2010 at 5:58 pm

the correct amount is in the recipe, so nope no need to half it!

Cherie November 28, 2010 at 4:38 pm

In response to your question about subbing baking powder for the baking soda and cream of tartar, yes, you can do that in general. 1 teaspoon baking powder = 1/4 teaspoon baking soda + 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar. I was originally thinking that it would be simple to plug in 1 teaspoon of the baking powder to replace the soda and cream of tartar in this recipe, but then I noticed the amounts are reversed. So, maybe in this case it’s best to stick with the recipe as written ;-).

Paige November 30, 2010 at 9:51 am

I made these cookies last night, and although i didn’t flatten them out with a fork enough they turned out delicious! crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside and not too overpowering. delicious! :)

May Cookie Co. December 1, 2010 at 8:47 am

I love just about anything with the great smell and flavor of cinnamon. This is the perfect cookie to launch us into December and the start of holiday baking!

megan @ blackberries for jam December 2, 2010 at 11:39 am

Thank you so much for this recipe! My husband’s favorite cookies are snickerdoodles and I’ve never found a vegan recipe for them that has worked. I made these the other day and they are PERFECT! Looking forward to your other cookie recipes!

kayleigh December 7, 2010 at 3:37 pm

i would love love love a vegan buckeyes recipe!!

Abby December 22, 2010 at 10:41 am

Made these with the baking powder… turned out beautiful. These have become my favorite holiday cookie…
Thanks!

Brittany August 16, 2012 at 3:55 pm

These were delicious, I left out the cream of tartar all together and I did not press them down and they turned out soft and slightly chewy, very good!

SarahF April 6, 2013 at 11:00 am

I tried these cookies about 10 days ago. I have not had much success baking cookies in the past, and I was not sure that these would turn out very well. To the contrary! I am now on batch #4! My family can’t get enough of these delicious cookies! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. :-)

Sam April 10, 2013 at 8:15 pm

My daughter declared snickerdoodles her favorite cookies last Thanksgiving…I was looking for a vegan version and just made a batch of these. They were a big hit! She said they are just like the non-vegan ones if not better (better for me bc these are healthier :) So glad I found your site. Thanks!

Shanna May 20, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Oh my god! I made these tonight and they came out perfect! Perfectly pillowy and soft with crispy edges. I am so happy!! These are delicious!

Maggie August 1, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Thanks for this great recipe! I just made these, following your recipe to the letter, and they turned out really well — so delicious and exactly as you described: crisp on the inside and a bit chewy inside. Mine weren’t quite as picture perfect as yours… guess I’ll have to make them again soon to practice! ;)

Maggie August 1, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Oops, I meant crisp on the *outside*.

Crystal August 7, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I’ve recently switched to an all-vegan diet, and I love your blog! I can’t wait to try these cookies out, but isn’t white sugar refined with bone char? Would beet sugar be a good substitute?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 8, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Hey Crystal, Look for organic cane sugar – that’s what I use or you can sub any granulated sugar of your choice I assume.

Kara November 10, 2013 at 9:54 am

These are delicious! I did try the baking powder version because I didn’t have any cream of tartar on hand (I used 3/4 tsp. baking powder) and they turned out great.

Neha November 19, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I tried replacing the cream of tartar with baking powder and it did NOT work! They ended up being extremely dry and crumbly on the outside and totally uncooked on the inside. Huge mistake on my part.

Rachel December 6, 2013 at 5:45 am

I just made these for my kids Christmas party at school, and they are delicious! The best part is my kids absolutely loved them. Thanks for the great recipe!

Meredith December 11, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I made these with gluten free flour and 1/4tsp xantham gum and they turned out AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Elaina December 3, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Thank you for sharing info about gluten free! I would love to make these!

Noemi Tirado December 12, 2013 at 12:37 am

I just made these and they are absolutely delicious! I used coconut oil because I didn’t have earth balance, and replaced the baking soda and cream of tartar with baking powder. The result was great, they have crispy edges and soft middles. They are just as good (if not better) as any non-vegan recipe. They were super easy to make and I love that the recipe doesn’t make too many. They will go along perfectly with my secret Santa gift ;] Thank you!

Margaret December 29, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I was searching and almost to the end of these posts when, thank goodness, I found yours stating that coconut oil replaces butter just fine. Thanks!

Abbey December 24, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I made these and the dough was extremely crumbly, so I was unable to press the balls down with a fork. I didn’t substitute anything and followed the recipe exactly. They tasted alright though.

Jess February 8, 2014 at 1:53 pm

I made these for a friend who is vegan and they were a huge hit with everyone! In fact, my non-vegan friends (and myself) were all astounded that they are so darn addictive and delicious AND completely dairy-free!

Ally February 8, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I just made these and I made them gluten free :) it was so simple to make and they turned out amazing!!

Jackie April 24, 2014 at 10:18 am

I would like to make these, but they need to be gluten free. How would I go about that?

Emily June 24, 2014 at 11:20 am

Would substituting the earth balance butter for crisco butter shortening work? My local grocer doesn’t carry Earth Balance products

Sabrina Marie July 16, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Hi! I got impatient while making these. Well actually I got extrememly hungry SO I decided to not wait to refridgerate the dough and replaced the cream of tartar with 1/8 tsp baking powder, THEY TURNED OUT PHENOMENAL! THANK YOU SO MUCH

Michelle November 23, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I have been making these every year since you posted the recipe! Best Christmas cookie ever!

Jen December 2, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Just made these, and they are AMAZING. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Shelly December 6, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Hi. I’ve never made snickerdoodles before. I decided to try your recipe. I have a question. The dough seems very dry/crumbly to me compared to cookie doughs I’m used to. Is this the way its supposed to be? When I go to push them down with the fork, they break apart and I have to piece them back together. And they don’t ‘grow’ like your did. They stay the size I rolled, then mashed them. Did I do something wrong?

AMBER January 7, 2015 at 8:42 am

Thanks for posting this. My brother has been extremely ill and is on a super strict diet. He misses sweet treats sooo much. He has to be dairy free and sugar free. I’m going to try this receipe and use half smart balance, half coconut oil, and for sweetener I will use a mixture of monk fruit and stevia. I will let you know if it is worth trying.

Christine January 17, 2015 at 5:48 pm

i used a banana in mine. Waiting for them to come out now!!

Nicole December 17, 2015 at 5:20 am

I used baking powder to substitute the cream of tar tar and baking soda and it was divine! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe :) Happy holidays and Merry Christmas!!

Marie December 22, 2015 at 5:41 pm

This is my first vegan Christmas and my dad loves the snickerdoodles that I make almost every year. I made a double batch of your veganized recipe and they turned out so nicely, I’m not going to tell him that they’re vegan!

Cathleen January 19, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Loved them!!

Salma October 13, 2017 at 12:04 am

Is it possible to replace the flax egg with a chia egg? I don’t have ground flax, only chia seeds and was wondering if it would be the same proportions/whether it would even work in the recipe! These look so good and I really want to try to them!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2017 at 11:11 am

Hey Salma, Oh that’s a good question! I haven’t tried a chia egg before. Chia tends to absorb a bit more moisture than flax does, so that’s my only concern. You might be able to try a 1/2 tbsp of chia seeds or even 1 teaspoon in place of the 1/2 tbsp ground flax? If you try anything let me know how it goes!

Robin December 16, 2017 at 1:03 am

I can not wait to try these. Snickerdoodles have been my sons favorite for over 35yr.(they are 37&39 now). Now to do the vegan gluten free version and see if they notice. I will let you know. ☺

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2017 at 11:04 am

Oh, you’ll have to let me know how they go over! Thanks Robin :)

Lacey December 21, 2017 at 10:58 am

I made these using AP flour and coconut oil. I also replaced the baking soda and cream of tartar with 3/4 tsp of baking powder. My dough came out very crumbly, so I added a few tablespoons of almond milk until I got a cookie dough consistency. I baked them for 10 minutes, and they came out great! Crispy around the edges and soft on the inside.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Hey Lacey, I’m so glad these worked out even with the tweaks! Thanks for letting us know. :)