Easy Homemade Croutons

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 22, 2010

Today, I learned…

• I can hear my kitchen weep after long baking days (or is that me?).
  • Trying (and failing) to get rid of a huge spider in the basement and injuring your toe in the process is a little something called Karma.
  • I will always feel a twinge of fear when I go into the basement.
  • It is possible to eat a whole tub of hummus in 1 day.
  • It’s best to pretend that my neighbours can’t see me when I’m photographing my breakfast outside in my robe and slippers.
  • Hummus will always make me feel warm and fuzzy inside and should be a food group (see above).
  • New Wal-Mart slippers make me happy. Very, very happy. Even if Eric laughs at me.
  • I want to invent thigh-high slippers for Northern climates. Slippers are fun and all, but I’m still freezing.
  • Sketchie steals all my bobby pins and hair elastics and drops them down the heat vents.
  • Making delicious homemade croutons is much easier than I thought!

It has been far too long since I have had homemade croutons on a salad! What gives?

20101022-IMG_8037

Homemade Croutons

Endlessly customizable.

Adapted from here.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 Loaf of fresh Italian or sourdough bread, sliced and cut into 1/2-1 inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Earth Balance OR olive oil (I prefer taste of Earth Balance on these though), melted
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 2 tbsp Vegan Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp dried Parsley
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Kosher salt, to taste (I used about 1/2-3/4 tbsp I think)

Directions: Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Mix together the melted Earth Balance/butter, granulated garlic, paprika, oregano, and pepper in a large bowl. Add in cut up bread pieces and mix well making sure that the bread cubes are evenly coated. Season generously with salt, to taste. Arrange the croutons in a single layer on a baking tray and bake for 15 to 24 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Let cool. makes about 3 cups worth (I used 1/2 loaf of bread).

20101022-IMG_8008

I only used half a loaf of Italian bread because I wanted to save the rest to make homemade sandwiches to go with our salads.

Slice it up, whatever size you desire!

20101022-IMG_8016

20101022-IMG_8017

Cut into however big you like your croutons! I was going for huge ones today. :)

20101022-IMG_8018

Mix into sauce.

20101022-IMG_8029

Taste. Mmmm. Adjust seasonings. Mmm.

20101022-IMG_8043

I like my croutons a bit chewy in the middle so I only cooked them for 15 minutes at 375F.

20101022-IMG_8049

Today, I also learned that I advanced to Round #6 of Project Food Blog….a big THANK YOU for your votes!!! :) My heart was in my throat as I scrolled down the page to see if I advanced.

Onward to Challenge #6- a packed ROAD TRIP MEAL- that is due Sunday.

What did you learn today?

Page 2 of 2«12
Gail October 22, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I learned today that no matter what, sometimes my dogs will fight and I really need to learn how to separate them by myself without getting injured. Today they went at it and my neighbor heard my screams and came over with his son to help me. The dogs are ok (lots of cuts, scrapes and blood – but they’ve had worse). The neighbors didn’t mind, but I was embarassed.

But, later in the day I learned that the smile and laugh of little kids in the neighborhood really warm my heart. Two 10 year old boys came knocking on my door and asked if they could rake my leaves. I asked them how much, and they didn’t know, so decided they’d split $5. I told them to go ahead, and it sounded like they had so much fun. I didn’t get my afternoon nap (I’m working from 5:30pm-5:30am tonight), but that’s ok, watching them have fun and then paying them for their efforts (they got an extra $1 each because there were so many leaves) was much more important than that nap!

Paula October 22, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Ha! I often wonder what my neighbors think when I’m taking photos out front.

Wei-Wei October 22, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Congratulations for making it to round 6!

Maddie October 23, 2010 at 12:02 am

Congrats on making it to round six! I love your project food blog entries. I could probably eat a whole tub of hummus in a day too! I love hummus.
Today I learned that cinnamon raisin bread+greek yogurt+honey peanut butter is my new favorite snack.

Jenny October 23, 2010 at 6:45 am

I love croutons! Salad please! : )

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker October 23, 2010 at 6:45 am

Oh, boy. My neighbors think I’m a total weido taking photos outside in the morning of my foods. It’s the only time of the day that I’m home during daylight these days. So, they’ll just have to keep thinking I’m weird. Hahah.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 23, 2010 at 6:56 am

Homemade croutons are the best! I love it when they’re crunchy but still a little soft on the inside. :D

Yesterday while doing an assignment for my nutrition class I learned that it costs me approximately $11.53 to eat for one day. Apparently that’s almost double what it should be! Yikes!

Menden October 23, 2010 at 7:35 am

My cat steals all of my hair ties too! She stalks the house searching for them, then runs off with them in her mouth. I find a lot of them under rugs…and am guessing the rest are in our heating vents :)

Congrats on round 6…can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) October 23, 2010 at 9:48 am

Ohhh yes eating a whole tub of hummus is possible in one day…and it is definitely a food group for me too!

elyssa October 23, 2010 at 9:53 am

yes! i actually googled this before. cats have a thing for hair elastics. my cat does that too!

Jes (@ Self Motivation) October 23, 2010 at 10:05 am

Those croutons look delicious! I am jealous of your basement… we cannot have those in Florida. And just be careful, my friend’s cat used to eat her hair bands and had to have surgery to have them removed from her intestines. Eek!

Natalia - a side of simple October 23, 2010 at 10:31 am

I learned that thigh high slippers are totally what’s lacking in my life :)

[email protected] occasional musings of A Galley Slave October 23, 2010 at 10:38 am

Funny you should be making croutons! I am making them today too… we had sourdough bowls for our chili last night and today I am using the ‘scoopings’ to make croutons. Love the sourdough flavor.

Enjoy!

elise October 23, 2010 at 1:36 pm

i thought hummus WAS its own food group…ive been known to eat family sized tubs in one sitting. one day is 3 tub territory. dont try and tell me otherwise…
(this is practically an add for costco)

yummieecupcake October 23, 2010 at 1:51 pm

#5 cracks me up!!

[email protected] Start Over From Scratch October 23, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I love homemade croutons! The ones out of the bag are so gross! As for thigh high slippers maybe you should go the kiddie route and ger footie pajamas! I know target has some cute/funny adult ones!

jaime October 23, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Not that you have any time on your hands, but when you do, can you do me a favor? Can you write a post on why you would choose a certain spice when you cook. Like why would you add Cumin or Basil. What does that do to the dish? Can you tell I am new to cooking? Thank you! ;)

Red Deception October 23, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I have fuzzy thigh-high socks that I wear under my jeans. I live in the Arctic, I will do anything to stay warm!!

I love the crouton recipe. I will keep this in mind when I make a salad for a party!

Eden October 24, 2010 at 12:21 am

I had my 300 hr yoga teacher training and today I learn most yoga teacher feel like “frauds” and that they dont know enough about yoga to teach. I’m glad I’m not alone. I also learned that regardless of my eating disorder history of starvation, these days two hours without food and I turn into the grinch.

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear October 24, 2010 at 4:45 am

Congrats!! :)

.. and home made croutons are the best, thanks for sharing!

Nic October 24, 2010 at 4:50 am

O.M.G.
I found the Michel Cluziel 85% chocolate and had NEVER ever before tasted such decadence!!
I’m baffled!!! Thanks for raving for it!!
I’ll definitely buy more when I’m in France and send you some!! :)

maike October 24, 2010 at 7:58 am

…we all know abot the Mummus don´t we ;) haha that´s why i usually make my at home, one batch for one meal….it´s so easy to finish..it just dissapears…

maike October 24, 2010 at 8:01 am

..MMMhmmmm Hummus…er sorry ha!

Marathon bound gal aka Grace October 24, 2010 at 10:19 am

Congrats on #6…woohoo! I learned last night how amazing college football can be when your team is doing so well!!! Way to go to my Auburn Tigers!!!! War Eagle!

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 24, 2010 at 10:48 am

Those look great. I learned that if you cook the Husband an amazing meal, he is more than willing to do the dishes! : )

Shanna October 24, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I learned that the instant you get all the cat fur off your couch the cats will lay down and add more ;)

Amie October 24, 2010 at 6:43 pm

OH MY!!!!!! Angela you must please post these recipes!!! I am so excited to try all of them…. especially the cake in a jar, fruit leather and apple chips!!! Can’t wait! Will you be posting recipes soon?

k8 October 25, 2010 at 11:12 am

Dax thinks it is fun to put my hair elastics and pins into the toilet. And only at night. When I’m sleeping.

Ugh.

[email protected] October 25, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I love all the bread recipes I’ve been seeing on your blog. Looks great!

Congrats on moving on to the next round!

Christian February 25, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I’m wondering how to store these and how long they can be stored?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 26, 2013 at 9:02 am

I just store them on the counter in a container for 1-3 days depending on how long they last around here. Enjoy!