Project Food Blog Challenge #2: Tarte Aux Fraises

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 25, 2010

My travels recently brought me to one of the most beautiful and delicious places on earth.

20100917-IMG_7257

Paris, France.

20100918-IMG_7639

Stuffing my suitcase with stilettos and wheatgrass powder, I was eager to experience this historic city with my mom and my sister.

My only dilemma?

My Vegan diet was the antithesis of the French cuisine.

Still, I forged ahead all smiles and confidence; I was tackling a challenge that would make some vegans cringe at the mere thought.

My only goal in Paris was to have no regrets.

Of course, my lack of desire to eat meat or dairy led to some interesting discussions with the chef and serving staff…In one restaurant, I heard screams bellowing from the kitchen. That was a hot-tempered chef!

The servers cursed my very being.

However, many of my meals were downright easy to order and delicious, albeit coated in butter because even the most accommodating French chef believes that a meal is not complete without du beurre.

I made a list of foods- vegan or not- that I deemed were a once in a lifetime (but hopefully twice) opportunity to try.

For example, the croissant that melted on my tongue, the café that made 3 hours of sleep and jet lag almost bearable…

20100922-IMG_8564 20100917-IMG_7342

and the Tarte aux Fraises that left me longing to bake a Végétalienne (vegan) version in my own kitchen.

20100922-IMG_8506

I decided to combine the traditional French methods of the Tarte aux Fraises recipe, but to also add a non-traditional Vegan flare.

And like a good little student, I did my research.

I went straight to Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Volume I) Cookbook for inspiration.

foar_julia_child_608

[source]

With my suitcase overflowing with postcards, dirty clothes, Michel Cluizel 85% dark chocolate, and barely worn stilettos (have you seen that cobblestone?!), I set off to my kitchen to create.

20100919-IMG_8007

I have always been a girl with her priorities straight.

20100925-IMG_3384

Tarte Aux Fraises Végétalienne

Objective: Traditional French Cuisine with a vegan twist.

Pâte sablée (Sugar Crust):

• 1 cup white Kamut flour
  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance butter sticks
  • 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
  • 3-4 tbsp almond milk
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla bean, finely grated
  • 1/8th tsp Himalayan sea salt

Vegan Custard:

• 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp raw agave nectar
  • 1.5 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
  • 1 tbsp icing sugar
  • 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast (for yellow colour- optional)

Fruit Topping:

• 1.25 cup strawberries, sliced w/ stems removed
  • 1/4 cup raw agave nectar OR sugar + water glaze
  • 1 Kiwi, peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 large Peach, sliced

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Gather 4 tart pans approx. 4 inches in diameter. In a stand mixer using the dough hook, mix the flour, sugar, vanilla bean, and salt. Add the Earth Balance and milk and mix until a ball forms. Wrap and chill dough in fridge while you prepare the custard and toppings for about 20-30 minutes.

2. Quickly rinse and dry stand mixer bowl and sift in cornstarch, nutritional yeast, and icing sugar. Quickly stir. Add in almond milk, lemon juice, agave, and vanilla paste. Mix well scraping sides as necessary until all clumps are gone. Pour mixture into a bowl and place in microwave for 30 secs. on high. Remove and stir out all clumps with whisk. Repeat process 2 more times, whisking well to remove all clumps. Mixture will thicken up nicely. Set aside.

3. Prepare fruit and then place in a bowl with agave nectar. Coat all fruit and set aside.

4. Remove chilled dough from fridge and flour your surface. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Roll out, one at a time, into a circle 1 inch larger than the tart pan. Let dough fall into tart pan. Take a rolling pin and roll the top to cut away excess. Remove with fingers. Repeat for other 3.

5. Bake Pâte sablée for 18-19 minutes at 400F. Cool for about 10 minutes.

6. Now grab your cooled Pâte sablée and fill with 2 tablespoons of custard. Layer on fruit and add more glaze with a pastry brush.

Serve and enjoy!

20100925-IMG_3337

Crust ingredients:

20100925-IMG_3190

My secret ingredient- Some finely grated vanilla bean all the way from Tahiti!

It adds tiny flecks of je ne sais quoi. ;)

20100925-IMG_3200

Get out your dough hook if you have one. You can also knead the dough by hand of course.

20100925-IMG_3217

When it forms into a ball, all is well in the world.

Wrap it with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge while you prep the vegan custard.

20100925-IMG_3226

Custard ingredients:

20100925-IMG_3270

20100925-IMG_3230 20100925-IMG_3242

My first attempt seemed promising…

20100925-IMG_3243

However, appearances can be deceiving…! Hrmph.

20100925-IMG_3255

Oh boy, I think I will pass on the clumpy vegan custard!

Now, open the window because you suddenly feel like you are getting a hot flash.

20100925-IMG_3262

Remove your sweater and prepare yourself a refreshing strawberry spinach salad to cool off.

20100925-IMG_3249

If you are like me, you might realize that you ate too many strawberries and have to rush back to the store to pick up another pint. These things happen to the best of us. ;)

Re-evaluate your chicken scratch recipe and keep the faith…

20100925-IMG_3267

Say a prayer and dive in.

20100925-IMG_3264

Vegan Custard Success!!

By this time, your dough has been chilling for so long you wonder if it may be frozen.

Luckily this is Canadian dough and it can survive even the coldest fridge. ;)

20100925-IMG_3272

Split your dough into 4 parts. Flour your surface and roll out a circle that is 1 inch larger than your tart pan (image left).

20100925-IMG_3273 20100925-IMG_3275

Let dough fall into the tart pan and roll your pin over top to cut off excess. Remove with fingers.

20100925-IMG_3277 20100925-IMG_3278

Pierce tarts with a fork, so the air can escape while cooking.

20100925-IMG_3287

Place in oven on the middle rack and bake for 18-19 minutes at 400F.

Now let’s make the fruit topping!

20100925-IMG_3294

I used Raw Agave Nectar, but you can easily make a glaze using a small amount of boiling water and sugar or red currant jelly.

20100925-IMG_3297

Kiwis just for fun.

20100925-IMG_3299

I made a mini tart because I had leftover dough.

20100925-IMG_3304

Once cool, place 2 tablespoons of the vegan custard into each shell.

20100925-IMG_3317

Layer on the strawberries coated in glaze.

20100925-IMG_3325

Spread on more glaze to finish them off…!

20100925-IMG_3330

Admire your creation…

20100925-IMG_3335

I prefer to take traditional classic recipes and think outside the box. Throw caution to the wind with toppings!

20100925-IMG_3343

You can even make a Vegan Chocolate Ganache!

20100925-IMG_3322

What have you got to lose? Your kitchen isn’t getting any cleaner! ;)

I mixed 1/4 cup of Michel Cluizel 85% dark chocolate (straight from Paris!) with 1/2 tbsp coconut oil. Heat in microwave for about 1 minute and mix. Easy as pie tarts.

20100923-IMG_8607

When life gives you ganache, make a banana ganache tart of course.

20100925-IMG_3354

or Kiwi-strawberry.

20100925-IMG_3357

Even…Peach salsa

20100925-IMG_3383

Any size you like.

20100925-IMG_3362

Your time has come.

20100925-IMG_3372

Sit back,

relax…

20100925-IMG_3373

…and with the first bite be transported to beautiful, delicious Paris…

20100925-IMG_3380

No plane ticket required.

20100917-IMG_7237

Just don’t ruin the moment by looking over at your kitchen. ;)

20100925-IMG_3393

The mess was worth it, trust me on this one.

Page 4 of 4«1234
Amelia from Z Tasty Life September 27, 2010 at 2:48 pm

it’s tough make French vegan! well done. Voted.

(see my entry here: http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/2/view/869)

Delishhh September 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Oh these look awesome. Love the post and the pictures. Nice work.

Stacy R September 27, 2010 at 6:41 pm

All I can say is WOW AMAZING DELICIOUS

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 27, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I am very impressed with your creation. It is stunning! You will definitely move on to the next round!

Seglare September 28, 2010 at 4:40 am

Your tarts are absolutely beautiful! :)

I have one silly question – but could you taste the nutritional yeast in the custard filling? Somehow I just can’t imagine it in a sweet treat; but then again, maybe the other flavors hide the taste completely? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2010 at 6:52 am

Nope but make sure not to use more than 1/2 tbsp! :)

Seglare September 28, 2010 at 8:32 am

Many thanks for the quick reply! I’ll give this a try when I can get my hands on fresh summer berries again (the other variations sound good, too – but the strawberry tart looks just adorable). :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2010 at 8:34 am

U would probably love the banana + ganache too!

Lacey September 28, 2010 at 8:11 am

I can’t wait to make these tarts. Traditionally; apricot jelly is used as the “glaze” for the fruit topping so I’ll be using that instead of agave; this recipe sounds great!!!

Amykinz (foodie4healing) September 28, 2010 at 9:16 am

lol. Angela, I love the view of your messy kitchen! That’s how my kitchen looks whenever I cook, which is pretty much everyday! haha! Glad to know I’m not alone. Onto another question… I want to make these, but don’t have tart pans. What could I use in place of them? Large muffin pan? P.S. You TOTALLY have my vote! ;)

Bess @ Bess Be Fit September 28, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Those tarts all look so amazing! especially the chocolate ganache one! Anything with chocolate is my weak spot. I wish I had your culinary talents!

Daily Spud September 28, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Those tarts look stunning – I will have one of everything please! Best of luck in the competition…

Tanya @ Vegan Faith September 29, 2010 at 11:12 am

Angela, I am so impressed! These look delicious! I can’t wait to try it out!

Lick My Spoon September 29, 2010 at 1:28 pm

So many different combinations!!! Beautiful! And they’d be a nice pick-me-up to start the morning. Got my vote!
Lick My Spoon

Sarah @ Daily Nibbles October 1, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Congrats Angela! I’d loved reading about Paris and seeing this tart rendition:)

Halley (Blunder Construction) October 1, 2010 at 2:10 pm

YAY! Way to go, reader’s choice! Can’t wait to see what you whip up for the next challenge, congrats!!!!!

Lori Lynn October 1, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Congrats on Readers Choice! Well-deserved. What’s for luxury dinner?
LL

Jo @JAGSfitnessblog.com October 2, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I am utterly in awe – you are incredible :)

[email protected] Thailand October 3, 2010 at 6:11 am

Oh wow, your photos are gorgeous and these look incredible. I buy them here in Thailand (Thais are big on pastries) but I doubt they’re as delicious as yours look :)

claudia lamascolo October 8, 2010 at 7:53 am

Wow I thought I was making great tarts till I saw this fabulous post, amazing and mouth watering love the chocolate and banana combo that one is making me salivate!

Brittany October 10, 2010 at 3:52 am

I love making tarts (and any French dessert in general) and I’m so impressed you made it vegan! It still looks beautiful; and I’m sure you kept the maginifcent taste of these tarts too

Catherine October 28, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Wow ! I tried your recipe and it was amazing ! :)
But I used only kiwi for garniture.
Thanks for sharing your recipies with us !

Theresa April 17, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I’m looking at your “tartes aux fraises”… you use kamut flour – I don’t have kamut flour – can I use w/w; or spelt or cocnut or rice or bean or barley? I’m not sure of the properties of kamut… why did you choose that grain? (it’s one I don’t have! LOL)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Kamut bakes similar to all purpose flour so you want to stay along those lines with something that has gluten. You might be able to get away with whole wheat pastry flour since it too is delicate.

Jordan July 15, 2012 at 5:06 am

Okay, I realize this is an old post but I’m new to vegan cooking and your blog (Love them both!) and just saw this delightful recipe. Random question~ I am fascinated with the photo of your notes and can’t figure out what “nooch” means! What does it mean? And thanks for all the amazing inspiration! I am making your power hemp seed salad tomorrow and very excited to try it =)

Zoe and Mia Lau April 20, 2017 at 10:28 am

Thank you so much for your beautiful recipe! My sister and I used your custard recipe but omitted the icing sugar to make refined sugar free and replaced nutritional yeast with turmeric for the color. We made our own Paleo, GF pastry crust and topped it off with glazed strawberries and blackberries. It was a complete hit and all my non-glutenfree, non-vegan friends were begging for more.

Here is our beautiful French Patisserie Fruit Tarts inspired from yours: https://sprinkleofvanillasugar.wordpress.com/2017/04/14/easy-vegan-french-patisserie-fruit-tarts-paleo-gf-df/

We love your blog!

Angela Liddon April 21, 2017 at 8:21 am

Those look lovely!! Thanks so much for sharing.