Feel The Burn

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 9, 2010

Brrrr…it looks like Fall has arrived early here in Southern Ontario!

20100909-IMG_2792

Today was dark, chilly, windy, dark and more dark, and leaves on the ground producing.

20100909-IMG_2794

Last night was no different. Eric and I went out for a walk around 9pm we had to bring our jackets it was so windy and chilly out! It could have been Halloween.

Today my mind drifted to thoughts of:

In that order.

Bring back the heat, I protested.

So I did.

In my best Justin voice, I sang, ‘I’m bringing heeee-eeeeat baaaaack.’ and then I fired up the stove and grabbed my favourite curry.

20100909-IMG_2739

The heat shall be had.

20100909-IMG_2755

Quick & Spicy Veggie Chickpea Curry

Adapted from Shape Magazine.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 1 cup green beans, cut into small pieces
  • 1 large carrot, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder (I used Arvinda’s Curry Masala)
  • 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1 large tomato, sliced
  • 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions: In a medium sized skillet add olive oil and turn burner to medium heat. Add chopped onion and ginger and stir. Cook until caramelized, watching carefully, for about 5-10 minutes making sure not to burn. Add chopped beans, carrots, and chickpeas and reduce heat to low-medium. Add curry powder and soy sauce and stir well. Cook about 5-10 minutes until carrots are softened slightly (do not overcook). Add sliced tomatoes and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and serve with brown rice if preferred.

There is nothing quite like the taste of delicious caramelized onions. Mmm.

20100909-IMG_2730

Add in your carrots, green beans, and chicky peas.

20100909-IMG_2732

Finally tomatoes, just to warm them.

20100909-IMG_2742

20100909-IMG_2746

Serve, enjoy, and feel the burn. ;)

20100909-IMG_2748

The good kind of burn.

20100909-IMG_2754

20100909-IMG_2753

Tomorrow, I have a VERY exciting breakfast to show you. Get excited.

The Friday Fun we are going to have will be positively evil. Witch hat and broom optional, but highly recommended.

Page 2 of 2«12
Wei-Wei September 9, 2010 at 10:52 pm

I agree – there’s almost nothing better. I love just cutting onions into strips and cooking it down with soy sauce and a sweet Japanese vinegar called mirin. It’s sooo good.

[email protected] September 9, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Oh how I long for cold fall weather! I’m jealous: )

Jacquelynn September 9, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Oh the fall is creeping in… I am so excited because I found kabocha squash (my fave) at whole foods today! I love winter squash!

Mallory @ Untie the Ribbons September 9, 2010 at 11:04 pm

What ever happened to summer? It was pretty weak here in Seattle and now it is already feeling like fall/winter weather – boohoohoo:(

kate September 9, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Caramelized onions make any meal more delicious.

Lindsay September 10, 2010 at 12:11 am

Fall has arrived here, too, in North Dakota. Unfortunately, my heat only comes on when the landlord decides it does, and it so happens that that time is Oct. 1, no matter what. It’s already getting into the 30s some nights. Lots of bundling!

JL Goes Vegan September 10, 2010 at 5:22 am

Great curry recipe! ‘Tis the season :)

Melanie September 10, 2010 at 6:51 am

Points of note on this blog:

1. Everyone should think of Mr. T. for at least 10 minutes a day. He is awesome.

2. More Sketchie!!!

3. I had that Justin T. song stuck in my head all day yesterday b/c I heard it on the radio on the way to work.

4. If I don’t see the gingerbread VOO soon, I will lose my mind.

RJ September 10, 2010 at 7:18 am

spooked by the Mr T link! Today is my brother’s 30th birthday. He is having a fancy dress party tomorrow..and he is going as Mr T! As a child he LOOOVVVEED The A team and even had a Mr T doll. It features highly in family photos from the ages of 4-5 for him!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 10, 2010 at 7:25 am

It’s supposed to get back into the 20s next week, but this weekend is going to be cold!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 10, 2010 at 7:29 am

Now that I’m back at my apartment at school, I’ve realized how perfect your recipes are for students! They use ingredients that I actually have and they’re fairly quick to make. I will definitely be looking through all of your recipes for my meals this year! :D

Jenny September 10, 2010 at 9:53 am

You must try using that matcha green tea in baking! I made a couple batches of cookies with it years ago, and if you get the measurements just right, it is AMAZING!!
And now I am intrigued to try molasses…I’ve feared it since my grade school pioneer days made me eat it straight! My poor 8 year old mind was scarred.

MoniMeals September 10, 2010 at 10:11 am

Oh Molasses! how do we love you .:) Great b-fast and thanks for the blog lists. I have a barley, molasses-granola recipe (that after getting motivated with your pics) I will be making this weekend. :) We still do not have canned Pumpkin at the stores yet…;(

Amber K September 10, 2010 at 11:04 am

I just wish the season changes weren’t so abrupt here! I wish they would slowly transition, but nope! One day it was 80, the next 60.

Cassandra September 10, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I didn’t realize molasses had that much good stuff in it for you!, I think I may now have to start experimenting with that in my food. :)

Kemi September 10, 2010 at 4:40 pm

This looks so amazing! I love curry and chickpeas I will be trying this out this weekend!

Sana September 10, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Burn baby burn!
I do love Fall, it is just awesome for taking walks and long cool runs!

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey September 11, 2010 at 11:36 pm

You are too cute, Angela. That curry sounds fabulous!

Dee September 15, 2010 at 12:31 pm

oh gosh, I love this post. I laughed out loud so many times.

Girrlll, I’ve gotta tell ya – I’ve evernoted every single post you’ve post so far. So many good recipes galore! :)