Not For The Faint Of Heart

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 13, 2010

Bonjour!

Early Rising Challenge: Day 2!

I feel like a new woman and it has only just begun! Last night I was in bed by 10:30pm. I can’t remember the last time I was in bed that early!!!! Truly ground-breaking for me. I think I fell asleep around 11:30pm, so this is definitely progress.

I was up and at ‘em at 6:30am again this morning. It wasn’t as hard to get up this morning which was nice.

I made a big pot of Japanese Sencha and then stumbled over to the treadmill for an amazing interval workout. Intervals are my favourite cardio workout!

The walking hill workout:

• 5 min warm-up at 4.0mph, incline 10%
  • 2 mins. at 4.3mph, incline 10%
  • 3 mins at 4.0 mph, incline 15%
  • 5 mins at 4.2 mph, incline 15%
  • REPEAT 2, 3,& 4 three times
  • 5 min Cool down (speed 3.5-2.5, incline 10-0%)
  • Total: a very sweaty 50 min workout!

Showered, came downstairs, and made a wonderful fresh juice!

IMG_9330

The ingredients today were quite crazy!

Not For The Faint Of Heart Juice

• 1/2 Lime
  • Small piece ginger
  • 1/2 beet
  • 3 stalks organic celery
  • 3 organic carrots

Made a wonderful sorbet again! Cherry beet and lime sorbet, perhaps? ;)

IMG_9333

After stirring:

IMG_9344

HUBBA HUBBA is all I could say about this juice. It was delicious in its’ own strange beet-y way! The beet was the first thing I tasted followed by the celery, lime, and ginger. Carrots got lost. If you prefer sweet juices this is not for you- you might want to add an apple or berries?

I loved how healthy this tasted. For me, the weirder it tastes the more I like it. :D

IMG_9337

The wheels are a spinning!

IMG_9348

Breakfast was another delicious Banana Bread Baked Breakfast Cake!

IMG_9240

Now I’m going to watch Conan’s monologue from last night then I’ve got an ultrasound to go to followed by a loooooooong 10+ hour day of baking.

A secret ingredient for the new Valentine’s Day Glo bar just arrived too! :D So excited.

I also just realized that I missed the airing of my radio interview this morning! Oops.

Blogging continues to be CRAZY fast now that hyperlinking works. Hallelujah!!!

GIT ER DONE!

Angela_Signature

Page 2 of 2«12
Tracey @ TropicalHappiness January 13, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Hahaha, I came on here to post a comment saying “Ultrasound?” but then saw all of the others, so I’ll just say HELLO! Hope the appointment goes well.

Mo January 13, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Is it wrong that I keep checking back every half-hour or so today to look for updates on your ultra-sound mystery?!?!

I gotta make that breakfast pudding – I drool over it daily now!

Cynthia (It All Changes) January 13, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Weird is not my thing. Strange maybe but weird I just can’t do.

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 13, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I can’t wait to start juicing beets! We got a juicer for Christmas, too, and so far I’ve just been tinkering with carrots, grapefruit, and apples. Celery would be a nice addition, too. Isn’t cleaning it a pain, though?!

Nice interval workout!

Niki January 13, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I like to give my juices/smoothies fun names too! I really like yours :) My last one was Willie Rainbow! The ingredients were all so colorful! Wow that breakfast cake looks so good! I didn’t click on the link yet but I’m definitely heading that way. Thanks

Bec January 13, 2010 at 5:01 pm

My favorite juice is beets, carrot, ginger, lime and spinach. You should try this combination. It is delicious!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) January 13, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Love the new juice!!

xoxo
K

Sarah January 13, 2010 at 5:23 pm

What beautiful juice that is! Hope all goes well at the appt.

Cheryl January 13, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Mmmmm….yummy juice!! I`m going to buy some discount bin organic veggies and give it a try…..can`t pass up the benefits anymore!

Tania January 13, 2010 at 5:33 pm

ive had your baked bfast cake on the brain since the first recipe you posted! thanks for the yummy idea!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 13, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Great looking juice Angela – I love beets! And great work on the interval session – boy do they do wonders!

Dana January 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Hi Angela!
I love reading your blog, and I am so glad that you opened a vegan bakery in a fairly small town (from what I know about Milton). I also live in a small town and sometimes feel I’m the only one with these ideas. I think it’s fantastic and so needed! Anyways, I am also a health nut and although you’ve probably already heard about this conference, I thought it might be a good spot for your Glo bars to be featured.
Best wishes!

Gina January 13, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I’ve been getting up earlier this week as well for early morning workouts (and in bed by 10!). I love how much time I have in the evenings now, but I kind of have this weird groggy feeling all day…I hope that’s just my body getting used to the different sleep/awake hours!

Kelly January 13, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Hey Ang,

Im wondering if you can give us an up to date recipe for the morning cakes. You mentioned that you had been modifying it? Thanks!

Salina January 13, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I was just wondering — I was lucky enough to be given a juicer but haven’t used it much because a) it is so annoying to clean, and b) I don’t like the waste either.. I was inspired to give it another go when I saw the delicious meal you made yesterday. I have a couple of questions tho, and wanted to know your thoughts.

Firstly, do you think the nutrional content of the vegetables are depleted after juicing? And how could you go about putting those nutrients back into them? Looking at the second lot of vegies you juiced, if you cooked them up, it would make awesome baby food (triggered by your “ultrasound” comment… Although I’m pregnant, I just hope you’re ok.) but I don’t want to feed my child something that it nutrionally void… What do you think???

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I’m just guessing but I would assume that the nutrients are removed when juicing and thus, the pulp is just the fiber. I am really not sure though. I would not expect that it would make for a nutritious baby food.

basically the reason I am using the pulp is two fold: 1) So im not throwing out food, and 2) To get back that fibre in my diet. :)

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 13, 2010 at 6:55 pm

that juice is beautiful but scary! i definitely would add some berries for sweetness, but it’s such a GORGEOUS jewel color :)

Danica January 13, 2010 at 7:17 pm

That juice look sooo pretty but I think it might taste too healthy for ME LOL….I know don’t know it til I try it, right? LOL….

sarah (the SHU box) January 13, 2010 at 7:22 pm

ultrasound(!)
i know you didn’t put that in there by accident :) what a teaser! i am getting all excited just imagining a little glo baby.

hope all is well!!

Krista January 13, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I get up every day at 5:30 and it is definitely a struggle, no matter how much sleep I get! I got the same juicer for christmas and so far I love it! I’m a “sweet juice” kind of girl though and haven’t really come around to liking carrots or beets yet, but I’m trying! Citrus and apples have been my favorite so far. The clean up is a pain, but I like knowing that my husband and I are drinking nutritious juice without any added sugar. I can’t wait to try some of your recipes!

Jenny January 13, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I did a walking/interval treadmill workout today inspired by you! It was amazing :)

And I love the feeling of waking up early in non-groggy state, just for going to bed a bit earlier.

Christy January 13, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I really need to give this baked breakfast cake recipe a shot! Looks & sounds very good!

Jolene January 13, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I need to make that breakfast – it looks so good!! I wish I had a treadmill at home … that would make working out in the morning so much easier. To get ready and go to the gym is just SO unappealing.

Becky January 14, 2010 at 6:49 am

Guys- there are tons of reasons people get ultrasounds that have nothing to do with a baby. I had one when I was having kidney problems, and people get them for other reasons too. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything related to being pregnant!

s January 16, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I believe she also had an ultrasound when she had her injury, so it is probably a follow up thing.

Claire July 11, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Angela,

What kind of juicer do you use? We don’t have one, but want to purchase one soon. I’d love to know what you would recommend.

Claire July 11, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Yina October 22, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Hi Angela,
I have been reading your blog for quite a while now and have to say I love it. Already tried a lot of your recipes and they all where great!!! YUM!!!!
I just wanted to ask which juicer you use. Trying to find one, but there are o many from really cheap to oh soooo expensive. Could you maybe recommend one?

Thank you so much for sharing all this with us :-)

Kind regards

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 23, 2014 at 7:20 am

Hi Yina,
I’m afraid I don’t have a brand of juicer to recommend at the moment – my previous one bit the dust! I would suggest reading some reviews on Amazon for brand ideas. I haven’t had a juicer in the house for a few years now (sniff sniff haha)