Ask Angela: My morning coffee recipes, Instant Pot reader poll, and more!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on February 16, 2018

I have to say, this blog series is so much fun to put together each week. Even though I reply to your comments and questions a couple of times each day on the blog, making this round-up inspires me to dig a bit deeper and try new things to help troubleshoot. I also learn so many interesting things from you all, and absolutely love sharing your tips for others to read! Let’s dive in, shall we?!

Q1. Hey Angela! With how popular superfood powders are, I’m curious if you consume any on a regular basis?

Hi Monika, I can’t say that I use many superfood powders! They tend to be expensive and I’d personally rather spend that money on quality produce. I also want my recipes to be accessible. That said, there are a couple I like to use: DoMatcha Organic Green Tea Powder (I make green tea lattes with it and add it to smoothies) and Sprout Living Broccoli & Kale Sprout Mix. The latter is a powder made from broccoli and kale sprouts that have been gently dried and milled—I also add this to smoothies for a plant-powered boost!

Q2. Your coffee always looks so delicious on Insta Stories! Do you mind sharing exactly how you make it (including the proportions used)? My track record isn’t that good when I “wing” a recipe!

That’s too funny, Susan—I’ve definitely had my own fair share of “winging it” disasters! I love to start my day with French press coffee, and have a couple different ways of making it. I’m not a coffee expert by any means, but I’m happy to share both ways that I prepare it!

Basic French press coffee:

I start by grinding coffee beans—I like the “Mug Shot” organic coffee from Toronto-based brand 23 Degrees Roastery, and find grinding the beans morning-of makes them extra fresh and flavourful. I scoop two heaping tablespoons of ground coffee into my small (2-cup/500 mL) French press (from Ikea). Next, I bring a small pot of water to a boil before turning off the heat to let the water sit for 15 seconds or so. Then I pour just enough water into the French press to saturate my coffee grounds before giving the mixture a stir. After this pre-soak, I add the rest of the hot water to the French press, filling to about a 1/2-inch below the top of the vessel. I secure the lid of the French press and set my timer for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, I press the coffee with the plunger and pour it into my mug before stirring in a mix of Nutpods French Vanilla Creamer and Califia Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk.

Blender coffee:

I follow all of the basic French press coffee-making steps above except for adding the creamer, and instead I pour the steeped coffee into my blender. Then I add 1/2 tablespoon of Nutiva’s MCT (Medium-chain triglyceride) oil along with a tablespoon of Nutpods French vanilla creamer. Finally, I secure the lid and blend the coffee for about 20 to 30 seconds (tip: make sure your blender lid is vented as it can explode if it’s not!). After blending, I pour into a mug and enjoy!

Full disclosure: When I need coffee yesterday (which is pretty much 98% of the time), I skip both the 15-second water resting and pre-soak periods, simply filling the French press with boiled water (this is technically a “no-no” as you can burn the coffee, but trust me when I say I’ve compared both methods and my sleepy taste buds tell me they’re virtually the same, lol). Then I follow the rest of the procedure as listed. On the average day, I like to have one of these in the morning, one in the afternoon (my caffeine cut-off is 3pm!), and a mild Matcha green tea thrown in between. #dontjudge ;)

Q3. Hi Angela, I want to make your new Easy Vegan Sugar Cookies as a surprise for my vegan husband. :) Instead of electric beaters, do you think I can blend the pink frosting in a food processor? Thanks!

Hi Nathalie, what a cute surprise for your husband! I wouldn’t have thought to make frosting in the food processor…such a fun idea! Your question made me super curious, so I just had to test it out in my food processor to see. I’m happy to report that the frosting came together quite well with this method. I tried adding the vegan butter first to “whip” it, but I found the butter just stuck to the sides of the processor bowl, so I’d recommend adding all of the ingredients into the processor at the same time. I also found that I needed to add a bit more almond milk than usual and had to stop to scrape the bowl down a few times throughout. I hope this helps you have pink frosting success!

Q4. Hi, is tomato paste the same as tomato purée?

Hey cb, Great question! Tomato purée and tomato paste are made using different methods, which accounts for their distinct flavours and textures. Tomato paste is made by cooking tomatoes slowly until they become thick and pasty, resulting in tomato paste’s sweet, rich, and intense flavour (similar to sundried tomatoes). Tomato paste tends to be sold in small cans or jars, whereas I find tomato purée is mostly sold in larger quantities. Tomato purée is made more quickly, cooking tomatoes briefly to soften before processing into purée, resulting in a thinner consistency and flavour more like that of fresh tomatoes. In the photo above, tomato paste is on the left and tomato purée is on the right. (A special thanks to Livestrong for the distinction.) With all this talk of tomato sauce, I’m now craving spaghetti squash with marinara! lol.

Q5. Hi! Your Roasted Carrot and Dill Hummus recipe sounds amazing!! Just wondering if it’s best made the day you want to eat it or just as good made the night before?

Hey Larissa, My recipe tester and I found the flavours were a bit better the day of, but it’ll still keep well in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. Homemade hummus thickens when chilling, so it’s probably best to let it come to room temperature before serving so your dip can soften (if you can wait that long!). :)

Q6. Hi Angela! I love the rebranding of the Friday FAQs series to “Ask Angela”—I think that’s a great idea! I’ve wanted to ask you for ages whether you have an Instant Pot and whether any of your recipes would be suited for it? What with this Instant Pot craze going on now, I’d love to be able to make your delicious recipes quickly in this new gadget!

Hey Sandra, ohh you know what? I’ve been asked this question a lot lately and it’s making me super curious about Instant Pots! I don’t have one as I’ve been trying to avoid purchasing another small appliance, but I have considered it. I’d love to hear about your own experience, though!

I’m also curious how many OSG readers use an Instant Pot these days, and would love to hear from you all in the comments!

Do you have one and would you recommend it (if so, which version/model do you have)? Have you tried any of my recipes in the Instant Pot successfully, and if so, which ones worked best? Would you like to see new Oh She Glows recipes developed specifically for use in an Instant Pot? Thank you so much for chiming in! I’ve been wanting to ask about this for a while. I may also do a poll on Insta Stories soon too. :)

“I love your 10-Spice Vegetable Soup! I found this recipe a year ago and make it about twice a month. It is so versatile. I can make it very spicy for our family or less spicy for those who do not love spicy food. I shared it with some co-workers and they love it too! Thanks so much for the amazing work you put into your site and recipes. We are paying attention and the world is getting healthier one recipe at a time thanks to you Angela! Keep up the great work!”

Hey Lyne, It really means the world to me to read this! I agree about how easy it is to customize the spice level in the 10-Spice Soup. I always add a lot more to my own portion (I’ve been known to dump it on!) because I can’t get enough of that intense flavour. Getting healthier one recipe at a time…I LOVE that!! Thank you.

Rachel February 16, 2018 at 8:57 am

We have an instantpot and have used it twice in two years and the number one reason we’ve only used it twice is because there are no instantpot recipes on your blog. 90% of our meals come from you! The couple times I have used it, it’s been easy (one was a soup recipe and one was chilli).

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2018 at 10:08 am

Aww haha that’s sad (but sweet all at the same time!!). Thanks Rachel :)

Candace H. February 16, 2018 at 9:05 am

I have an Instant pot and use it for specific recipes but I love my dutch oven too. I would love to see recipes here for the Instant pot.

Laura ~ Raise Your Garden February 21, 2018 at 8:30 am

Don’t have an instant pot but I do love my Dutch Oven. I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth the investment to buy one!! Don’t want to store anything that won’t get used a ton…..not enough space =)

Kate Greenwood February 16, 2018 at 9:18 am

I have the instant pot duo 6 quart bought in June of 2016…it took me awhile, maybe 6 months or so, to get into the habit of using it but now it’s part of my weekly cooking routine. To prevent small appliance overload, I passed on my slow cooker to a friend and now use the instant potato slow cooker function.
I love it! My favorite thing to make might be “not roasted” whole sweet potatoes. They cook seamlessly with little attention. I found two vegan cookbooks that are good references: Vegan Under Pressure by Jill Nussinow and The Ultimate Vegan Colkbook for your Instant Pot by Kathy Hester.
I think it would be great to see you develop some recipes for the pot. Right now, as far as your recipes go, I’ll use the pot for the grains and beans in recipes from your cookbooks.

Lisa February 17, 2018 at 10:33 am

I have had the Duo Plus for about a year and love, love, love it for preparing beans and grains. Like Kate, I gave my slow cooker away, but instead, I have had no success at all using it as a slow cooker. I get home at the end of the day and everything is just barely warm. I must be doing something wrong, so would love some tips (Kate? 😀). Yes Angela, I would love some of your recipes, especially those that would help me get meals ready for my teenage boys fast after a long day of work.

Lynn Crow February 16, 2018 at 9:20 am

I live and love to camp and got a 3 quart instapot cause it’s just me! After 2 months of taking it out of the box and looking at it and putting it straight back in the box feeling overwhelmed I took to Pinterest and learned how to use it. It is my “go to” now. I love it. I am a pescatarian but try to use mainly vegetables! It makes the BEST bean soup from dried beans, my favorite is 15 bean mix. It’s a one pot wonder cause I sauté my onions and garlic in the pot first. I got a second insert and make the BEST brown rice or my new favorite Quinoa. And I’ve got food for the week and store in the insert pots. I’ve been hoping and hoping you would come up with some amazing recipes to use with the instapot! I love your images and extra hints and how you describe how to get proper nutrition while eating vegan! You could name it “Oh She Glows One Pot Wonders”!

Jennifer February 16, 2018 at 9:21 am

I do have an Instant Pot. I got it about two (maybe three) years ago and it’s a total game changer. I have four kids (now teenagers) and I cook nearly every night. I haven’t made any of your recipes in it but use it for cooking beans and broth, etc. for your recipes. Not buying canned beans is a big savings in my food budget. I know that many of the soups would be adaptable being careful with some of the more delicate vegetables which need less pressure to be cooked fully. I have loved using my Instant Pot to cook the potatoes and carrots used for your amazing “cheese” sauce for your broccoli cheese soup–so quick and simple! I think you’d love having one. I have the 6qt Duo model. You could replace your crock pot and rice maker with the Instant Pot AND you can use it to make your own dairy-free yogurt!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2018 at 10:07 am

Hey Jennifer, Oh I love that you use it to make the cheese sauce. Great idea. Quick question: Does the Instant Pot have to “pre-heat” first before the cooking begins?

Leslee February 16, 2018 at 10:31 am

My instant pot has a sauté function I use on my onions, garlic, etc before adding the other ingredients and pressure cooking. Most of the recipes I use call for sautéing first, then pressure cooking. I’m new-ish to pressure-cooking, but my instant pot is so incredibly useful that I been wanting to try to adapt your recipes as best I can.

Beth February 16, 2018 at 9:34 am

Regarding your Instant Pot question… I spent a LONG time considering getting one as I have very little storage space. I decided since I’m retired (i.e. all the time in the world to cook), I’d have to learn to cook in a different way, my lack of storage, AND the added expense that I don’t need one. I’m thinking it’s a bit of a “fad” and another year or so I’ll be seeing them showing up at thrift stores.

Donna February 20, 2018 at 11:37 am

Beth, the Instant Pot isn’t for everybody and their way of cooking and that’s understandable. But, I really don’t think it’s going away any time soon. If they are in thrift stores it’s most likely because people don’t know how to use them or it just doesn’t work for them.

Tatijana Peraud February 16, 2018 at 9:53 am

I have made my favourite Indian Lentil Cauliflower soup in the IP. It was not as good as stove top. It cooks everything so well, that there was no slight crunch left in the veggies. My husband described it as “mushy” :P. Of course the flavour was still great for me I ate it, but texture was off.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2018 at 10:05 am

That’s good to know, thanks Tatijana! :)

Kate February 17, 2018 at 10:02 am

I’ve had an IP for two years now and it’s hands down my most used kitchen appliance, I cook in it at least two or three times a week and often more.

I use it to cook batches of beans to freeze in portions, soups, curries, chillies, rice, potatoes, stews and dhal. No it doesn’t do everything as well as stovetop or oven, but I’d say if you’re careful with your timings and amount of liquid – two things which are absolutely key – it does a lot of things better. And yes you can get crunchy veg from an IP, just use the manual timer.

I tend to do some of my seasoning at the beginning and some at the end if it’s a proper recipe and not just batch beans. I can’t imagine having to live without it now, it is so useful and a total blessing for days when I want healthy food and too tired or short on time to spend ages at the stove.

I would love to see you bring out recipes for the IP. It’s worth it’s countertop space and then some as far as I’m concerned. I have the 6 quart size.

Lynda February 16, 2018 at 9:55 am

Yes I have an instant pot and would love if some of your recipes were modified for it, or even better new recipes for it!

Amanda February 16, 2018 at 9:58 am

Hi Angela. I received an instant pot for Christmas last year and I have to admit I’ve only used it 2-3 times – mainly because I don’t know what to cook in it!! All of your recipes are super yummy and I would love to see some instant pot/slow cooker ones from you as I’m sure they’d be just as delicious 😋

Carla February 16, 2018 at 10:08 am

I have a Instant Pot duo 7in1, 6 Qt size. I love it and want to get a second one, the 8qt size. I would love to see if you would make recipes for one. It has a small learning curve, but once you get it, you get it. There is a vegan pressure cooker Facebook group that gives wonderful recipes, ideas and you can ask questions and get good information. I have done one of your soups in it. I don’t remember which one and I did a few substitutes as I didn’t have all the ingredients. Thanks for your site.

Jane February 16, 2018 at 10:11 am

Hi! I have (and love) my Instant Pot – and would love to see some recipes added to your site that I could use in it. I will try the 8 min pantry dahl as I think it could be a good contender! The only issue is that I make all of my grains in the IP, so while one thing is cooking on the stove, the other is in the IP. With long grain brown rice only needing 15 mins in the IP and quinoa only 1min, it would be hard to go back to making this on the stove. Maybe one pot recipes would be better. :( Thanks, Jane from Ottawa.

Valerie February 22, 2018 at 10:50 am

The pantry dahl works really well in an Instant Pot. But to prevent scorching add the lentils and tomatoes last. Here’s how I make it:

Add the vegetables, spices, and coconut milk to the bottom of the pot and stir. Then add the tomatoes and the lentils on top. Do not stir. Set to Manual, High Pressure for 5 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally (5 – 10 minutes). When you open the lid, give everything a good stir.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2018 at 12:30 pm

Thanks so much Valerie!

Paule February 22, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Thank You Valerie!
The pantry Dahl was a recipe I was wondering if I could make in my Instant Pot!
Thanks to you ….I will be making it tonight :)
I have been using my 3qt Instant Pot almost every day since I got it and I am the first surprised by it…I make soups,chilies ,banana bread , dairy free yogourt etc…
So to answer your survey Angela…
Yes ,I would love Instant Pot recipes on your blog or a little *at the end of your recipes that gives the directions to adapt them for the IP. :)

Frances February 16, 2018 at 10:18 am

I love my IP even though I use it mostly to make beans. It takes the stress out of, “Did I remember to set the crockpot before I left?”, “I need chana masala in my life now, but I haven’t soaked any beans!”, or cooking kidney beans which has to be done on the stove top or in a pressure cooker. True I can just buy canned, but its not the same and is more $$$. My IP has also made cooking long cooking grains like sorgum way less of a pain.

Beans aside I’ve made a few forays into other IP cookery with mixed results. A lot of recipes from listicals like “10 things to make with your Instant Pot” are sort of stupid. For example many say that IP popcorn is awesome, but when you make it you’re more like, “wait, this is the same as stovetop popcorn, but without fire…” That being said sweet potatoes steamed in your IP are super convenient, ditto beets. I imagine the IP might get more of a workout in the summer when it is too hot to bear the thought of turning on the oven.

kathleen Lindemann February 16, 2018 at 10:40 am

I just wanted to make a comment about the Out The Door Chia Seed Donuts! I have your book and love it and have been making these for some time. I always double the recipe and think I should quadruple it because they are gone in two days with just me and my hubby. Anyway, mine always seem to be a tad dry and crumbly. Today I decided to add a mashed banana to it. For a doubled recipe, I added one mashed banana and use my immersion blender to mix it with the coconut milk then added to rest of the wet ingredients. I baked them in muffin tins, not sure how much bulk it would add. It made 12 full muffins and added the exact amount of moisture and firmness I was looking for! Thanks for all you do! Kathleen

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 18, 2018 at 7:59 am

Hey Kathleen, Thank you so much for the cookbook love! :) Oh I’m so sorry that your chia power doughnuts have been a bit crumbly…I wonder why! I haven’t heard that happening before. I wonder if it’s the doubling of the recipes (sometimes baked goods can be a bit temperamental when doubling?). I love the idea of adding mashed banana though! Such a great way to use up spotty bananas. Thanks for sharing!

Cynthia February 16, 2018 at 11:05 am

Hi Angela! Just thought I’d chime in regarding instant pots and the like – I don’t have one as I don’t own hardly any kitchen devices and don’t plan to (we’re minimalists, essentially) so needing special things (even a food processor, which I also don’t own…) to make your recipes would lead me elsewhere…. but of course if there were instant pot modifications recommended for those people, I think it could be fine.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2018 at 11:25 am

Hey Cynthia, Oh that’s a good point! My thought was that I would be posting the regular stovetop version along with an Instant Pot version. :)

Joella February 16, 2018 at 11:27 am

Angela, the InstantPot needs no “pre-heating” BUT it does have to “come to pressure” first before cooking. If cooking a pot of dried beans, which requires a lot of liquid, it takes longer to come up to pressure before the timer starts counting down. The InstantPot does it all automatically and effortlessly. An entire pot of beans can be completely cooked in 40 minutes. You can sauté veggies in it first, then put the lid on and cook whatever you are wanting to cook. I’ve cooked an entire packed out pot of kale, collards in 30 minutes. I was intimidated a little to begin with, but that didn’t last long. I think it’s fun, and very safe.

Beth February 16, 2018 at 11:39 am

Hi Angela,
I was told not to have saturated fats due to familial high cholesterol. Many of your recipes include coconut oil. There is a debate whether coconut is actually a saturated fat because of its health benefits. I often substitute olive oil in your recipes but I would like to hear your perspective on this debate!
Thank you so much for al of your healthy recipes! My family loves them!

natalia February 16, 2018 at 11:43 am

I love my Instant Pot. I have the Duo 8 quart (we are family of six, plus I cook for my dog). Being vegan was a game changer in my cooking and buying the instant pot made a huge difference. I use it at least once a day. I no longer buy canned beans, I use the IP for all my bean preparation. Same with all the delicious dal recipes out there (Vegan Richa has tons of IP recipes for when you need inspiration). I use the saute function prior to pressure cooking for onions / garlic and its fabulous. I also use it to make my dairy-free yogurt three times a week. My kids love oatmeal, so I use it to make steel cut oats every couple of days. I also steam small potatoes the kids love to eat with guacamole, steam my sweet potatoes & zucchini, broccoli, etc.

There’s a ton of recipes out there that make life easier. I love that with the hectic life we have, I throw in all the ingredients, press a button and voila! So much easier with kids and activities, no need to watch the stove. And because it is 8 qt I can batch cook and freeze leftovers for office / school lunches. I got rid of my stovetop pressure cooker, slow cooker and rice cooker and the IP is always on my counter ready for me to use it! Hope to see pressure cooking recipes from you soon!

Jessica February 16, 2018 at 12:24 pm

Just chiming in, we don’t have an Instant Pot since space is valuable real estate in our kitchen and we make do with a kitchen stove and slow cooker. :) Plus I’m one of those people who likes to constantly stir, poke and taste-test my food while it’s cooking to make sure that the spices and seasonings are just right. I hear that can be difficult to do with an Instant Pot, haha.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2018 at 5:30 pm

haha I hear you Jessica…that would be my biggest worry (giving up the control of the tasting process). But perhaps with
pre-approved recipes the risk would be lower!

Lauren February 16, 2018 at 12:26 pm

What model coffee grinder do you have?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2018 at 5:28 pm

Hey Lauren! I have a Kitchenaid coffee grinder (I think it’s this one, or at least looks the same! https://www.amazon.ca/KitchenAid-BCG111OB-Coffee-Grinder-Black/dp/B003WIZ5PC) I have a couple complaints with it…it only works when pushing down on the top (I’d like to be able to press a button and walk away while I prep my coffee stuff) and also, I can’t specify the grind level.

Lauren February 18, 2018 at 11:06 am

Thank you!!

SarahF February 16, 2018 at 12:31 pm

I have an instapot- I just bought it during Black Friday sales and since then I’d say I use it on average once a week. I didn’t have a slow cooker beforehand, so there was no overlap of appliances for me. I mostly make soups/stews/chillis in the instapot- though I haven’t tried to make any of your recipes in it (probably laziness and not wanting to figure out how to adapt the recipe myself!).

Selin February 16, 2018 at 12:45 pm

I lovvveee my Instant Pot. Since both my husband and I are working full time outside home, it is a lifesaver for us. I have used almost all the features except slow cooking and yogurt making.

Kate February 16, 2018 at 1:03 pm

Yes! Please do purchase and create recipes for the cult following of the Instant Pot:) there are a sh*t ton of recipes out there—but not many amazing ones for us veggies!

Donna February 16, 2018 at 1:24 pm

I have an instant pot and love it. The only that that would make it better would be some Oh She Glows recipes for my instant pot!! Love all your recipes, I share your web site with everyone I know!! :)

Stacey February 16, 2018 at 1:37 pm

Hi Angela,

I want to start by saying thank you for what you do. By keeping up with your blog as well as two others I have been able to transition to a much healthier plant based diet. It has helped our whole family. I remember when I first found your blog thinking that there was no way I could eat like that. I mean butternut squash sauce on pasta instead of cheese? I just didn’t think I could do it. Now it is just the norm for us. My kids think butternut squash mac & “cheese” is the real mac & cheese. When my daughter was born we found out she was sensitive to dairy and soy so already having so many recipes from you that I knew the family loved made that transition to completely avoid those things as a household so much easier. Thanks!

Anyway, on to the instant pot. I think my vitamix and my instant pot are the two best kitchen tools that I own. I really just use the steam function and the manual(pressure cooking) function so I guess it is not much different that just having a pressure cooker. It is amazing though. I make veggie biryani from this recipe https://www.veganricha.com/2015/06/chickpea-rice-pulao.html
all the time. I cook dry beans in 20 minutes, and steam whole sweet potatoes quickly as well. What I love about it is that I can get a meal on the table very quickly and a lot of the cook time I do not need to be in the kitchen near the stove. This means more time with my kids. I would love to see instant pot instructions for some of your recipes. In fact just the other day I was wondering if I could figure out a way to do your glowing lentil soup in it.

-Stacey

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 18, 2018 at 8:04 am

Hey Stacey, Thank you so much for the love! That’s so wonderful that the recipes have been a pleasant surprise and so helpful for your family! And thanks for the IP tips….steaming whole sweet potatoes quickly sounds like a DREAM to me. I didn’t even think about that I’ve heard you can do a whole spaghetti squash too…crazy!

Sandra February 16, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Hi Angela! I have used my Instant Pot several times a week for almost a year. I can make my yogurt in it and best of all cooking all of my organic dried beans without the need to soak. The model I have can also bake a cake. I can’t begin to say how it has made my cooking life easier. Most recipes are easily adapted for pressure cooking. There are several FB pages for Vegan IP users. I have bought them for family and given them as gifts. So when I saw you may be contemplating an Oh She Glows cookbook for Instant Pot, I thought it was a match made in heaven!! For busy families it makes batch cooking a breeze. As they say, ‘set it and forget it!’ It holds all the steam and flavour in through the Pressure Cooking process, chillis, soups, stews and sauces, all taste as though they have been simmering all day. You have the best cookbooks I have EVER used, please marry the best kitchen appliance I have ever used and my life will be complete! P.S. The Inventor is Canadian too!

Megan February 16, 2018 at 1:53 pm

I would love to see instant pot recipes! I have one and have only used it once, but also because I cook so many of your recipes and am not sure how to modify it for the instant pot :)

Hannah February 16, 2018 at 2:04 pm

I used to have instant pot but now just use a stovetop pressure cooker as we were downsizing/decluttering. Its essentially the same, just without all the presets. It is an amazing time saver, especially when i get hone late from work and dont have much energy to cook. I just throw a load of veggies and beans with a can of tomatoes and seasoning and it cooks in 10 minutes. Yes, its not fine dining, but it works when I need quick, wholesome food. And it preserves more nutrients than normal cooking as well as making beans easier to digest! :)

Anne February 16, 2018 at 2:09 pm

I do have an Instant Pot and love it. I use it a lot. I am not a vegan just a nutrition nut trying to become healthier every day. I would love it if you could develop some recipes for use in the IP. Especially ones that my whole family including three kids would enjoy as well. Thanks!

Sharon Herbitter February 16, 2018 at 2:46 pm

Instant Pots (actually “multi-cookers” aren’t fads (responding to a comment above). They are just one device that does pressure cooking, slow cooking, and a few things in between. I had a 40-year-old slow cooker (wedding present — got rid of that) and a rice cooker (I kept it because sometimes I use both at the same time, but it’s a rice cooker too), and I got it because I wanted a pressure cooker to cook dried beans. I bought one off of Susan Voisin’s blog recommendation and didn’t realize it was an “Instant Pot” because it’s a different brand (Fagor), but I finally realized what it was! I love it. LOVE IT. I mostly use the slow cooking function and being able to saute in the same container saves time and dish washing. I’d never pressure cooked before, so I was a little nervous — piece of cake. I definitely recommend them.

Alissa February 16, 2018 at 3:13 pm

I have an Instant Pot, but I’ve only used it maybe 2-3 times. I don’t really need huge batches of food, since it’s just me and my 4-year old son. Even if I did make a huge batch of something to freeze, I haven’t liked anything well enough to stock my freezer with it! Now if there was an IP version of some of your soups that tasted just as good as the stove top versions, I would make huge batches for sure! <3

Lauren February 16, 2018 at 3:53 pm

I bought an IP last year on sale and love it! I use it to make rice, soup, and big batches of beans. The best part about it for our family is that you can set it and walk away (no stovetop babysitting). I greatly disagree with it being a ‘fad’, as pressure cookers have been around for quite a while!

Shannon Lovelace February 16, 2018 at 4:21 pm

I bought an Instant Pot (IP) last year hoping to narrow down my appliances (and get rid of my crock pot, stove top pressure cooker, and rice cooker) but I find that they all sort of serve different functions in their own way. For example, rice is so much better in the rice cooker than the IP. A basic pot of dried beans so much better from my stove top pressure cooker, etc. That being said, I love that I csn sauté the onions in the IP and just throw everything in on top (great for quick and flavorful soups). I’ve tried a few of my go-to OSG recipes in there too. The best so far is the Golden Red Lentil Dal. The trick is to chop the sweet potatoes or carrots larger than you would for the stovetop. Set it to sauté for 10 mins, do the onions until it beeps, add everything else except the spinach (or kale), set it to pressure cook for 10 mins (turn off the warm function), once it beeps let it sit for 10mins and then open the steam valve. Just perfect!

Susie February 16, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Hi Angela, I love that your “Ask Angela” series includes the date and I was wondering if you would consider adding the date when you post new recipes. Thanks for all you do to promote healthy, happy eating!

Megan February 16, 2018 at 7:03 pm

I have used the IP on several occasions to make rice or beans and have found that it’s always either too mushy or too crunchy. Given that cooking these items on the stovetop is pretty second nature for me, I haven’t found it to be very helpful. It might be good for soups and chilis, but I like my slow cooker for those so I can taste and adjust. And your coffee sounds amazing!

Andrea February 16, 2018 at 7:18 pm

I like my instant pot but it’s definitely not a necessity. It’s fairly easy to adapt recipes to it, there are how to guides all over the Internet! It did replace my slow cooker as some other readers have mentioned. It is really handy to not have to hover over the stove or worry about stirring or watching the oven.

Alison M February 16, 2018 at 8:21 pm

I love my Instant Pot. I actually own 2. I no longer use my crockpot or my rice cooker. I know someone said they like their rice cooker better but I see little difference after playing around with time and rice/water ratio. I also had a Teflon coated rice cooker I was glad to part with as it had started flaking. I am not vegan, but I do love your recipes. I would love to see IP directions added. I use our pot every week and my husband does his weekly food prep in it. If I had your conversions I would add more of your meals into rotation.

Tao February 16, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Hello Angela! I got an instant pot this Christmas and I love it. Although I primarily use mine for cooking beans and lentils, I have been looking to tweak your maple baked lentil dish in it. I also like to cook chilli in it. I have been wanting to use it for more recipes, and I think I will experiment with it to cook sweat potatoes for the Oh Em Ge veggie burgers, but I haven’t made many solid recipes yet as there are only a few food blogs that I follow to get the majority of my recipes (you, Ilovevegan, Minimalist Baker, and a dapple of a few others). Having said that, it is amazing for cooking rice and dried beans and I would love to adapt more recipes so that I can just use one pot for certain dishes. Generally speaking, I only use it once a week, but I only cook once a week (in bulk) so it’s a frequent appliance that I use.

Have a splendid day!

Nicole W. (Oh She Glows Recipe Tester) February 16, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Hey Angela!
I’m commenting on your coffee preparation…I love 23 Degrees coffee beans and I use a french press, as well. I am pretty much flying from the time I wake up until my teens are home and safe, which can be pretty late, so I leave mine to brew in the press for 5 full minutes, then I heat some almond milk, pour that in a mug and at the 6 minute mark I push down the plunger!
The instructions that came with my french press (I bought it in Montreal, so it really is french ha ha ha) said to let the coffee brew for 3 to 6 minutes so I chose the deep end! I don’t notice any bitterness, though some coffee afficionados might, and it really helps wake me up in the morning. And at lunch time. And, on Fridays, after supper :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 18, 2018 at 7:53 am

Oh I love that you heat your almond milk…totally saves the problem of “oh no the almond milk made my coffee too cold!” :) mmm….I’m going to have to try a longer steep! I’ve always heard to steep french press from 2-4 minutes, but maybe it depends on the type of beans?

Nicole W. (Oh She Glows Recipe Tester) February 19, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Heating the almond milk (along with half and half Natural Nutpods and Vanilla Nutpods…a complicated coffee, but simpler than a Starbucks order!) was a game changer…I have to serve it in a thermal cup as I never get to finish a coffee without interruption :) !

I find as long as it is a medium roast, a longer steep in the french press tastes great. I once got busy and my coffee steeped for 26 minutes! I drank it anyways, and it was strong but good. Dark roast beans don’t stand up as well to the longer steep,
I find. There is probably no official reason for this, it’s just my own tastebuds.

I love the sweet and funny captions on your mugs and wish I could find some thermal mugs with funny captions for a morning laugh!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 19, 2018 at 3:21 pm

26 minutes…I laughed out loud!! I think we’ve all been there. You must’ve been extra productive that day ;) That’s so funny because I also do half and half Califia: Nutpods! Have you tried the Nutpods Hazelnut flavour yet? I haven’t…I heard it wasn’t as good as French Vanilla, but then I heard it was better so now I think I need to order one next time.

Nicole W. (Oh She Glows Recipe Tester) February 19, 2018 at 7:06 pm

Well, I go through lots of Nutpods and ordered a box of 28 of them last month (prepared for the apocolypse ha ha) but I have to say, I don’t enjoy the hazelnut flavoured one. I inhale Natural and French Vanilla and the Pumpkin Spice (I was even hoarding my last few Pumpkin Spice until an awesome plant-based blogger gave me some for Xmas!) but the Hazelnut just isn’t worth ordering, in my humble opinion :(

Nicole W. (Oh She Glows Recipe Tester) February 19, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Off topic, but after reading through these Instapot recommendations, and seeing that your Vegan All-Purpose Cheese Sauce can be made in it, I wonder if your Chili from your Cheese Nachos on Oh She Goows Everyday would turn out? I orided myself yesterday on running through the grocery store, collecting all of the ingredients for the dish iff by heart.
When I returned home and told my sons that I’d be making your nachos recipe, they were both thrilled…then one of them wanted your Chili Cheese Nachos and the other wanted your Cheerful Nachos! Argh. 🤦‍♀️If I could whip up one in an instapot and one on the stovetop they’d both be happy on Family Day and I’d have yum leftovers this week!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2018 at 8:30 am

Thanks for weighing in! :) I also buy the Nutpods in bulk (free shipping over $50…sooo we “have” to right?).

Sandy February 16, 2018 at 9:35 pm

Looking forward to seeing your recipes using the IP.

Kiara Sexton February 16, 2018 at 10:57 pm

I have an IP! I have the 2 year old 8 quart model.

I have made lots of curries and stir fries and soups. So many of your recipes would work!

CatieP February 17, 2018 at 12:00 am

I have an instant pot – and what I’ve made so far I love. I think my family’s favorite is apple sauce – so quick and delicious (https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-applesauce/). I’ve made other things too – including lasagne and other meat based dishes. I’d love to see recipes for the instant pot from you :)

Deb February 17, 2018 at 8:18 am

Get an Instant Pot. You will love it. I do lots in it but I especially love how easy it is to do beans. I throw them in the freezer for convenience. No more cans…well almost. My husband can’t believe how good chick peas are. He hated the canned versions. I’ve had mine for 3 years now and it gets lots of use. I have the IP Lux 6 qt.

Kira Knight February 17, 2018 at 8:35 am

I am glad to have purchased an Instant Pot. We were going to purchase a larger Slow Cooker and learned of the risk of lead in he ceramic SC inserts; the IP insert is not ceramic. With a seven month old baby, I can’t cook on the gas stove while taking care of her. Love that the IP allows quick cooking and no lead. I agree about avoiding too many appliances and the IP can slow cook too, so you can trade out your SC for the IP one for one. I would LOVE to see Oh She Glows recipes for the IP. The ones I have found are good but one SC recipe I adapted for IP is not quite as good so it would be great to have your wonderful recipes work in a fraction of the time! Thanks! PS first blog post ever just wanted to share and would love to see recipes!

Ashley February 17, 2018 at 8:46 am

I got an instant pot for christmas and love it. I am an avid canner, and was always frustrated when I wanted to can something and struggled to pressure cook it (in the pressure canner as it is faster) and then magically clean the canner and keep the ingredients hot and the canner hot… (not possible). Since getting it, making applesauce and stock to can is a breeze, and it making batches of beans from dry to cooked in under an hour is pretty spectacular too. It isn’t magic as some say, it is simply an electric pressure cooker, but if you don’t want to babysit the dial gauge and want to save a ton of time in the kitchen, it is a great investment.

Taram February 17, 2018 at 9:11 am

I bought an Instant Pot last year and it does take some practice to get used to the settings/timings. But, now that I have used mine many times…I LOVE it! I make soups, rice and grains, beans, curries. The sauté feature is VERY important to me so that I can brown veggies/tofu/etc. before settings the cooker.

Jana Allen February 17, 2018 at 10:03 am

I have an instapot and use it a LOT. I’ve had it for several years. I premake beans to be frozen in individual servings. Every soup I make is made in the instapot now, including soups from your blog. I have found that sometimes I need to add a bit more spices to get the same flavor factor. The hands-off feature to the soup making is what I LOVE. Saute the onions, add everything else, set the timer for whatever (usually 5-9 minutes if it is vegetables) and come back at dinner time. SO EASY!!! Maybe throw in some greens just before eating. I LOVE it!

Connie February 17, 2018 at 10:20 am

I have the 6-quart Duo Instant Pot – love it! I would very much like to have your recipes converted to the IP – or at least a conversion “chart” to help us do it individually. It is wonderful for beans and grains and vegetable stock and soups and chili and yogurt and some veggies. For example, do broccoli using 0 (zero) minutes and it is great – cooks enough in the pressure build up stage. Great for baked sweet and white potatoes – faster than oven but better than microwave. It is a great kitchen tool.

Ann Marie February 17, 2018 at 10:43 am

We have an Instant Pot. We love it. It makes cooking grains so much easier. We use it a lot for rice, beans, quinoa, etc. All those things that I usually get wrong by cooking manually. This makes them so much easier and they generally turn out perfect.

Michelle February 17, 2018 at 11:59 am

This was a great reminder to make your 10 spice soup again. I made it in the Fall (for non-vegan friends and family) and everyone loved it. I froze some for work lunches and it thawed beautifully. My husband made fun of me for the GIANT batch of 10 spice mix I made, but now we put it on everything and he thinks I’m a genius (OK that’s a stretch).

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 18, 2018 at 7:50 am

haha we do that too Michelle! (Make a huuuuuge batch and put it on everything!). I haven’t found something that it doesn’t taste good on. Roasted veggies, soups, chili, sauteed veggies, avocado toast, hummus, etc. Last night I used it to “doctor up” a store-bought soup and it went from bland to amazing. So glad you guys love it too.

Trinity February 17, 2018 at 2:10 pm

Hi Angela! I’ve used a stove top pressure cooker for a few years now and just received an Instant Pot last xmas from my mom (the 8qt Fagor Lux Multi-Cooker). With our first baby due early March (or really, any moment at this point!), I’ve been trying to become an Instant Pot pro because it’s a lot more hands-off than the stove top pressure cooker – so I think it will be better fit in our “new normal” with babe! Supposedly you can get more precision with the stove top pressure cooker, but honestly I haven’t noticed a notable difference, so I’ve become a big Instant Pot fan.

I’ve made over 125+ of your recipes at this point (thank you for being amazing!!). Since your recipes are on regular rotation in our home, I would absolutely LOVE pressure cooker instructions to save me in prep time. To adjust your recipe I’ll usually google similar recipes for guidance. For example, if I were to make your Favourite Vegan Chili, I would google “pressure cooker vegan chili recipe” or “instant pot vegan chili recipe” and then cross reference to adjust your recipe for the pressure cooker. Now that I’ve become better acquainted with the pressure cooker, I can wing it more often but still sometimes need to cross reference other recipes.

I’ve made a whole bunch of your recipes in the pressure cooker, but to name a few… African Peanut Stew, Favourite Vegan Chili, Metabolism-Revving Spicy Cabbage Soup, Creamy Thai Carrot Sweet Potato Soup, Black Bean Sweet Potato and Red Quinoa Soup, and Detox Eat Your Greens Soup. Typically, I use the Saute Function to saute the aromatics for a few minutes, then add veggies and saute a little more, then add broth, beans and cover to pressure cook. After pressure cooking is complete, I’ll open the lid, throw in the greens and cover again for a moment to wilt.

I often double your recipes which on the stove (sans pressure cooker) I find takes quite a bit longer than the regular recipe. As such, the pressure cooker is great because the times are independent of quantity, so I can double up your recipes without underestimating the amount of time it will take to cook.

Also of note, I’ve wanted to share some of my postpartum food prep with you and a little experiment. I’ve been making your soups and freezing in ball jars. However, I do prefer freshly cooked food so with pending postpartum chaos and lazy brain in mind, I decided to conduct a little Instant Pot experiment on your African Peanut Stew recipe. I was curious if I could prep and freeze all raw ingredients in ball jars now (not the same as fresh but hey!) and then skip multiple recipe steps and instead simply throw everything into the Instant Pot (so, no sauteing etc) at once, and still end up with a delicious meal. I tried it (without the pre-freezing), and by golly it worked! I even went so far as to use soaked chickpeas (which I soaked for 10+ hours to be sure they were nice and hydrated). There was a little less depth of flavor than if I had sauteed ingredients, however, unnoticeable to the unfamiliar palate. I threw in fresh kale after cooking (per my prior methodoloogy description), garnished with cilantro and roasted peanuts, and voila, dinner! Not sure I could do this for all recipes, but a few very flavorful ones could work with this method (I was thinking My Favourite Vegan Chili, Creamy Thai Carrot Sweet Potato Soup and Metabolism-Revving Spicy Cabbage Soup).

Throwing another request into the mix… the incredible advantage of the pressure cooker, and why I bought one in the first place, is to rehydrate dried beans. It is SO simple and as such the pressure cooker should be a fixture in any vegan or vegetarian kitchen. You don’t have to waste hours attending a boiling pot (or rather accidentally forgetting about that pot!). I’d love to see your recipes integrated with instructions for use of dried or overnight-soaked beans, as I find this integration more complex with a lot more google studying and cross referencing.

Hope this book of a comment helps and provides some insight. And thank you for all your content production of late – loving it. Those Triple Threat Almond Bites are next on my list for a freeze-now breastfeeding snack. Cheers!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 19, 2018 at 7:31 am

Hey Trinity, Oh my goodness, thank you for your insight! This is fantastic. :) I absolutely love the Peanut stew experiment you tried out…that was going to be one of my first experiments if I did get an IP! Love that you could throw it all in there. Do you remember how long it took to cook?
All the best with your little one’s impending arrival! Sounds like you will have so many nourishing meals ready to fuel you!

Teri February 17, 2018 at 2:24 pm

Hi Angela,

I have an Instant Pot (that’s the brand). I read about pressure cookers about 2 years ago and after doing my research, purchased my instant pot. I LOVE it, use it a few times a week and have told all of my friends about it. My mom bought one and then, she told her friends. Many purchased the instant pot. I can get home at 5pm and have a delicious dinner on the table for my family at 5:30pm that is nutritious, delicious with very little clean up. I highly recommend getting one! I would LOVE to make one of your recipes in my instant pot. I think I could figure it out – I could definitely do so with your soups. Stay tuned on that! Please let me know if you have any questions. ps. I would love to share my business with you! It’s all about empowering women with whole foods! Best always, Teri

Rosalee February 17, 2018 at 3:03 pm

Yes I have an InstantPot and love it for beans, soups, stews, rice, and sauteing! I would like more recipes for it.

Kate February 17, 2018 at 5:56 pm

I have an Instant Pot and would love it if you developed recipes for it!! I use it all the time and definitely recommend. I have the 6qt IP-DUO.

Bonnie February 17, 2018 at 6:50 pm

I don’t have an Instant Pot. Being a minimalist with very little cupboard or counter space in my studio apartment and not liking to cook much, it’s something that I don’t really think that I need right now. But like another person said, if you made your Instant Pot recipes adaptable to Dutch ovens or slow-cookers, that would be fine with me. Your recipes are so good. I have however, found space for your cookbooks. :-)

Claire February 17, 2018 at 10:29 pm

Hi! I love your Endurance Crackers, but wondering how to make them crunchier. They were nice and crispy when they first came out of the oven but as soon as I stored them they went soft. I also tried flattening out the “loaves” of dough to make them thinner, thinking that would make them crispier but didn’t work. Any ideas? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 19, 2018 at 7:34 am

Hey Claire, So glad you enjoy the Endurance crackers! Yes sometimes storing them can soften them a bit. I tend to freeze them and find they remain crispy. Another thing you can try is storing them in a paper bag that isn’t full “sealed” to allow air to escape. It’s also important to allow them to cool fully before storing or the heat/moisture will get trapped in the container and soften the crackers. I hope this helps! :)

Claire February 21, 2018 at 10:21 pm

Thanks, Angela. I’ll try your suggestions. I can’t tell you how much I LOVE your cookbooks. I have so enjoyed trying out the recipes and together with my 2 young children, love to go through them and pick out dinner plans for the week. Thank you.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Aww that’s so sweet to hear that you go through my books with your kids, Claire! Adriana has gotten into that with me lately and it’s so cute. Thanks for all your support! :)

Mindy J February 17, 2018 at 11:01 pm

We truly enjoy every recpe we’ve tied from your cookbook and have many favorites. We do have an Instapot and would continue to be inspired if you published an electronic pressure cooker book.

madalin stunt cars 2 February 17, 2018 at 11:47 pm

Racheal February 18, 2018 at 8:40 am

Hi Angela,
I love your blog and cookbooks!
I do have an instant pot and it is AMAZING! You can do recipes that normally take hours to make in less than 30 mins – the thing that takes the longest is cutting the veggies. I would love if you adapted your recipes to it as its hard to pull myself away from your recipes to use others!

Dara February 18, 2018 at 9:38 am

I have the Instant Pot brand 6qt size. We just got it 2 weeks ago and have used it 4 times. I made rice in 12 minutes! It was pretty exciting! Anyway I too wanted to ask you about recipes for one because while we do eat animal products I try to minimize them and it seems that most of the recipes I have seen are all meat based. I was thinking about trying to do a bean based soup today so we will see how that goes;). I’m not a gadget/small appliance person so I really thought about getting one before I got it but I think this one will be worth it. I’m already planning on getting rid of my rice cooker and the slow cooker might be on its way out too. Thanks for all your hard work! Your blog kind of changed my life when I found it. It’s been at least 6 yrs maybe longer, but back then I was in the haze of little kids.

Emily February 18, 2018 at 10:16 am

Yes! Please add some instant pot recipes! I have one, too (I actually have the Fagor Multipot) and I would love to be able to use it more!

Jenny February 18, 2018 at 1:06 pm

I have an instant pot too. I use it for soups, beans, grains and I steam fresh eggs in it all the time (I know this is a vegan blog, but maybe there are some other egg eaters who like your recipes out there). We have chickens and if you boil fresh eggs, you can’t get the shells off easily. Using the instant pot with a steamer basket I get peelable eggs the same day we pick them up.

Lynn February 18, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Hi Angela, I too am an Instant Pot convert and lover! I received mine as a house warming gift from my sweet brother. It’s been just about 2 years since I’ve had it and there hasn’t been a week go by that I haven’t used it! I make your hearty beet soup in it and it comes out perfectly. I love it for dried beans and oat groats for porridge, rice cooks up soft and fluffy and no sticking to the bottom. You can steam whole yams and potatoes in it, in just a matter of minutes. I have a small cookbook that came with the IP, but not a lot of good recipes in it. Also I found you really have to play around with the cooking times. Example they will say cook kidney beans 30 mins. If that was done there would be nothing but mush in the pot! I usually cook the harder beans 4 minutes. I find it’s like anything in the kitchen it’s trial and error. That being said, I haven’t made anything in my IP that I have had to through out!!!! Love it and highly recommend for busy families. My kids are all grown and just my husband and myself at home, but with being plant based I use it constantly. Yeah for the Instant Pot!!!!

Lisa Rae February 18, 2018 at 9:04 pm

I would love to see some Instant Pot recipes. Our Instant Pot is a relatively new addition to our family. I purchased it mainly because it is a pressure cooker, slow cooker, and rice maker all-in-one (however if you are making a recipes that is served over rice, then you still need to pull out the old rice cooker)! I like that I can use it as a slow cooker if I have time to throw a meal together in the morning, however, if I forget too… I can use it as a pressure cooker and still make the planned meal. So far, I use it to make soups, stews and rice. However, I am planning to use it to can items this summer from the garden. Some fermented recipes would be nice too!

Not to offend anyone (but this may be helpful to someone), but my husband is a subsistence hunter here in Alaska. The Instant Pot is a game changer for wild game! I can make him an incredible bear stew in an HOUR! It usually takes 10-12 hours. I throw in lots of veggies which he likes… and he really liked fresh ground turmeric in the last batch.

Diann L’Hirondelle February 18, 2018 at 9:43 pm

Hi Angela. I have a new 6qt Instant pot (Christmas gift) and I LOVE IT! I use it all the time and I live alone! I also make your recipes all the time (love the glowing spiced lentil soup) but haven’t tried any in the instant pot… would love to but I’m so new at the instant pot I’m not confident enough yet to improvise. Would love to see some IP recipes. I have your cookbooks and use your app the most. Love your stuff!

Amanda February 19, 2018 at 8:14 am

Hi Angela,

I’m loving the return of Friday FAQs/Ask Angela. I love unwinding on my lunch break at work reading the weekly post.

I have a question about your Nut-Free Dream Bars from OSG Everyday–do you have any swaps for brown rice syrup in the crust? Every grocery store in my city is out of stock, and I want to make the bars for my mom’s birthday this weekend.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2018 at 8:37 am

Hey Amanda, I’m so happy you look forward to the series every Friday…picturing you reading over lunch makes me so happy!
That’s a great question about the BRS in the crust. I used it here because BRS is the most “sticky” and “binding” of liquid sweeteners. So if you swap it with maple syrup the crust will crumble or shatter when slicing (not the end of the world probably but it would be messy to eat). I also find honey, while thicker, doesn’t bind as well as BRS. I’m sorry I don’t have a better solution for you!

Stacy February 19, 2018 at 10:18 am

I received an Instant Pot for Christmas and LOVE it….when I have the right recipe. It’s been challenging to find trusted recipe developers (like yourself!) with IP recipes. I’m determined to come up with a big list of tried and true recipes before our 2nd baby arrives in August because its so nice to let it cook while I clean all the dishes and dinner is done fast!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 19, 2018 at 3:23 pm

That’s such a great idea Stacy!! The IP would’ve helped us with the new baby transition big time, I’m sure! And thank you for the recipe love…so flattered you trust my recipes so much. :)

Ashley February 19, 2018 at 12:34 pm

I received an Instant Pot this winter and am still getting used to it! I would LOVE to see some recipes from you that are IP friendly! I mostly make your recipes for dinner and I will say that the times I have used the IP for dinner it has made my life easier! I’ve been using it a lot to prepare grains, quinoa, and lentils. I actually used it last night to prepare the lentils for your Fusilli Lentil-Mushroom Bolognese from Oh She Glows Everyday.

Mariah February 19, 2018 at 3:09 pm

I have an instant pot and it makes my life soooo much easier between cooking me rice and giving me the ability to skip soaking beans before I use it (or soaking it for only while the rice is cooking, then popping it in). I would love to see some recipes for it should you get it. Especially oil-free ones. Thanks!

Raisha February 19, 2018 at 4:23 pm

Hello Angela, I accidentally came upon the Instant Pot a few days ago when shopping for a pressure cooker to make some Indian dishes in. The sales lady talked me into it saying that there were tons of recipes everywhere and it had a “cult” following. So I went to the bookstore to find one of the many cookbooks but I was underwhelmed. Your cookbooks are my “go-to’s” and I was really wishing for a combination of your recipes with the Instant Pot and then voilá, I open this blog today! I would love anything you could do for the Instant Pot. I just started with it so I don’t have much feedback but I would be happy to be a tester for you. Once I get to know the pot I will start to incorporate trying some of your recipes with it. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2018 at 8:38 am

I’m so happy to hear the level of trust you have in my recipes, Raisha! That means the world to me. Thank you for all your support! And thank you for offering to be a tester…I would definitely need a few IP testers I’m sure!

Rhonda February 19, 2018 at 4:47 pm

I don’t have an IP and I don’t even want one! Being a whole-foods vegan may be time consuming, but I like to feel that connection to my food. I have two kids, a husband who travels a lot and things can get pretty busy in the evening – sometimes I have to pre-plan a few meals but it’s always worth it. I haven’t had a microwave in over 12 years either!

Ora February 20, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Do you eat raw? The Instant Pot is just another way to cook food, and it is a great time-saver for families with children. The biggest plus, for me, is that it keeps my food warm if I am not right there when it is finished cooking. With two children and a husband who is not always available, you don’t have to worry about something burning if the little ones need your attention!

Melissa February 19, 2018 at 6:25 pm

Hi Angela, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see some OSG recipes converted to Instant Pot. I’m pretty new to IPs, just got one this Christmas, but I love it. I’ve done some soups, quinoa, risotto, and pasta dishes, and baked potatoes in it at this point. It’s such a nice way to set it and forget it! By the way, it’s a Canadian invention and company I believe!

suzy February 19, 2018 at 7:24 pm

I use an instant pot all the time. It helps to keep the kitchen cool in the summer too. I can saute and dump and 50 minutes later have soup with beans from scratch in it. I usually make beans every weekend.. and can do this in small batches (for hummus, for refried beans, for black beans etc.). The only item I have issues with is oatmeal and brown rice. I just use a rice cooker and make a large batch of oatmeal on the stove top.

Fiona February 20, 2018 at 12:43 am

I’m obsessed with my instant pot / pressure cooker. I have a Fagor electric pressure cooker and love it. I use it to cook beans and grains super quickly as well as one pot meals in a fraction of the time of stovetop. I would LOVE to see instant pot recipes!

Ilona February 20, 2018 at 11:30 am

Hi Angela!!! Love all your recipes. Seriously, my sis and I have cooked through most of your cookbooks and a good part of your blog and app. Also, as a dietitian I recommend your recipes/books/app to SO many of my clients.
Quick question – any particular reason you use MCT oil? Is it for tatse, to add creaminess to the coffee or for specific nutritional reasons? Just curious.
All the best!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2018 at 11:53 am

Thank you so much for sharing what I do with your clients Ilona! As for MCT oil, I like it because it creates a really creamy and rich blended coffee.

Donna February 20, 2018 at 11:41 am

I have an instant pot and love it so much. It gets used so for many things: soups, stews, all kinds of beans and grains, beets, other misc. vegetables. Please look into adapting your great recipes to the iPot.

Gabrielle February 20, 2018 at 2:49 pm

I just got my Instant Pot a few weeks ago! I have the 8qt duo. So far I like it, though I’ve mostly made staples like dry beans, rice, oatmeal, etc. in it so far. I haven’t tried any OSG recipes in it because I’m still learning how to use it, and I don’t really know how to adapt recipes to it yet. But I would LOVE it if you included some Instant Pot cooking tips in your recipes!

Qianya February 20, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Hi Angela,

I am trying to convert my partner and I to a plant-based diet and I would love to see more Instant Pot recipes. Working FT and being in charge of our meal plan, prep and cooking is a huge job. I love your recipes and would love to be able to convert them or use my Instant Pot to make more than just Buddha bowl fare.

Colette February 20, 2018 at 3:39 pm

We LOVE your blog and cookbooks! We actually recently purchased an InstantPot Duo and have used it a few times. We’d LOVE to see some InstantPot recipes here :)

Ora February 20, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Love my Instant Pot. I use this several times a week and can’t wait to see recipes from you!

Maggie February 20, 2018 at 6:07 pm

I got an Instant Pot as a gift from my mother in law this past Christmas and so far I love using it, but the recipes I’ve found for it have been pretty terrible. I would LOVE to see some Instant Pot recipes from you!! (Or even just some conversions.) Your recipes are my #1 go-to anytime I have time to cook, and I was so happy to receive the Instant Pot because I thought it would make cooking easier and quicker. So far, it hasn’t, but that’s mostly because the Instant Pot recipes I’ve found are extremely complicated and just treat the pot as a replacement stove top device rather than a quick-cooker. Doesn’t make anything quicker, just makes you stand in front of a different device and for longer! Love your recipes & love these “Ask Angela” posts, very useful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Hey Maggie, I’m so happy to hear that you enjoy these posts…they are so fun to put together. :) And I totally get what you’re saying about wanting to find IP recipes that stay simple and fast! For me the IP recipe would need a true purpose, such as why wouldn’t I just make this on the stovetop? and it would have to be a worthwhile time saver :)

Sharon February 21, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Hey Angela! Loving this new series! I can’t believe how much I’m learning… both from your post AND the comments section. After all the recommendations, I now feel I *need* an Instant Pot haha.

The definition of Tomato Paste/Tomato Puree can be really confusing as it seems to vary from one country to another. From what I understand, the US/Canada Tomato Paste is the same thing as Tomato Puree in the UK. Our tomato puree is very thick, rich and tends to be packaged in a squirty metal tube. We add it by the tablespoon to enhance the tomatoey flavour of dishes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2018 at 12:31 pm

Hey Sharon, I’m so happy you’re loving the series…thank you! And you know what? I have heard that before (about the UK’s tomato puree being the same thing as our tomato paste)…it would be so much easier if there was just one term, heh. Thanks for mentioning this!

wakemeupbeforeyoucocoa February 22, 2018 at 5:22 am

I missed the carrot and dill hummus so will be making that today!

Tara February 22, 2018 at 7:17 am

I also have an instant pot and have used it only for cooking rice and beans so far. It saves SO much time and energy cooking beans that it is worth its weight in gold! I think that you would LOVE it, especially as a working mother of 2 toddlers (which is also what I am!). Oh my gosh, if we had some easy instant pot meals from your blog that involved dumping and leaving it for 30 minutes that would be huge! Maybe a bean & potato soup? I’m sorry, I wouldn’t even know where to start!

Brittany February 22, 2018 at 11:19 am

Hi Angela! My little boy is about to turn one (gasp!) and I’m planning his birthday party. I want to make a healthy but tasty smash cake for him. Can you help point me to a recipe with little to no sugar and is at least somewhat healthy but still be a delicious birthday cake??

Lindy February 22, 2018 at 7:12 pm

Hi Angela. I just bought an Instant Pot a month or so ago and I LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. it. We eat mostly plant based, with an occasional meat dish thrown in. The biggest reason I love my IP is that I have ME/CFS, fibromyalgia and chronic back pain. My energy is very limited, but I love to cook and love to eat healthy, whole food meals. I can make a batch of beans or chickpeas in 20 minutes rather then babysitting them on the stove all afternoon. I can toss a bunch of spices, veggies and coconut milk in and have a delicious curry in 10 minutes. Brown rice….perfect EVERY time in 20 minutes. I realize I might be a bit dramatic here, but the IP has changed my life and made cooking SO much easier and quicker. That is all. Thank you and goodnight. :)

Christy February 22, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Hi Angela,
My question for you is: what is your grocery budget? I’m sure it gets crazy when you’re testing recipes, but in a normal month what do you think you spend for a family of 4? This is one of my biggest challenges, making wonderful, healthy food on a budget. Thanks for your inspiration. I eat very much a plant/whole foods based diet, and although I’m no vegan, your website is my hands down favorite food blog on the internet:)

Jennifer February 24, 2018 at 12:12 am

I need you to get one! I make steel cut oats, veggie broth, and batch cook legumes and whole grains. I’d love to get more into some dinner recipes.

Cheryl M February 24, 2018 at 10:36 am

We use our Instant Pot for almost every meal (especially since our little one was born) and LOVE your recipes… so it would be amazing to see some OSG recipes adapted for the Instant Pot :)

Cecilia February 24, 2018 at 9:35 pm

Hi Angela,
I’m a lurker and not usually someone who comments. My partner and I were gifted an instant pot by a family member who is obsessed with everything house. Watching the house channel on TV, renovating their house, telling anyone who will listen about anything to do with their house… while we’re more the hiking type. We like to cook good food from fresh produce and we’re not much into gadgets or trends. Besides, we already have a rice cooker, a slow cooker and a pressure cooker. Why would we need this fashionable gadget?? We found the recipes that came with it were terrible and we’ve used the darned thing only once. If you had actually good recipes to use for it, we might give it another go!

kiki February 25, 2018 at 9:06 pm

Yes!!! Please try the Instant Pot! You will love it. I would love to see more recipes here! I, too, thought that since I don’t eat meat, I didn’t need one. But my Instant Pot makes the best and healthiest beans (pressure cooked beans are easier to digest) and rice. And also vegan yogurt! You will love it! XOXO

Nic Starker February 26, 2018 at 4:25 pm

I contemplated for about a year before deciding to get an Instantpot (Duo 6qt.) and I LOVE it! My husband even commented that I’m cooking a lot more now. Total game changer. I only make Instantpot-specific recipes with it because I don’t feel confident enough to tweak regular recipes, but it’s a huge timesaver for healthy, tasty meals. Would love to see your soup recipes adapted for it.

Ashley February 27, 2018 at 2:12 pm

Hi Angela! I am a long time fan, and thanks to you, I began the process of going vegan 3 years ago and am now fully plant based! I am having a hard time finding research based evidence to support having our 6 month old daughter stick to a plant based diet. My husband needs some convincing. Did you refer to any particular source of information when discussing your kids diet with important people in your lives (pediatrician, family members, etc.) At the moment, NOBODY is on board with me on this, and I’m having a hard time coming up with sources they will take seriously. Thanks in advance, and big big thanks for all the awesome recipes I’ve come to love!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2018 at 7:53 am

Hey Ashley, Thank you so much for the kind words! :) I’m sorry I don’t have any resources for you offhand. We decided when our first was a newborn that we wouldn’t label their diets so they would have wiggle room and then they could decide when they were older. But our paediatrician was supportive either way. I think it’s important to find someone who is up to date with current research and nutritional info…which can be hard to do. I’m sorry I can’t help you more! All the best with your daughter…such a wonderful age!!!

Giovanna Mercado February 28, 2018 at 11:04 pm

Hi Angela: I bought my instapot and is so convenient, I now buy just dry beans and chickpeas to soak, cook and store them frozen just with much less time! So it saves a lot of money, I have prepared your creamy Thai carrot sweet potato soup, and was great. Is so nice to make soups and stews I really would like for you to try it! Makes cleaning a breeze, I absolutely love it!

susan March 1, 2018 at 7:17 pm

love my instant pot – especially the fact that i can walk away and sip a glass of wine (or pull weeds in the garden) while dinner is cooking. highly recommend and would love to see your recipes made for the instant pot! i have the duo 60

Sarah March 10, 2018 at 11:22 am

I got an instant pot two weeks ago and really like it! I’d love to see instant pot recipes especially for make ahead breakfasts (I’m using mine to make steel cut oats right now and was looking to see if you had a recipe).

I also used it to make pasta and really liked the way the flavors were infused into the pasta – it helped improve the flavor of whole wheat pasta and my daughter loved it.

Dawn March 10, 2018 at 1:29 pm

I just bought an instant pot and haven’t even opened it up yet. I’ve got a toddler! I’m excited to try it, but haven’t found the perfect recipe just yet, and feel I have to read all the instructions before getting started. I would LOVE it if you shared some recipes. All the recipes I have tried from your book and from the app have been winners. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2018 at 10:38 am

Thanks Dawn! :) And congrats on your Instant Pot…I’ve heard there is a bit of a learning curve, but I hope you get the hang of it soon! I’m still on the fence as to whether I want another appliance, decisions decisions!! Although all of these comments make me want to get one!

Andy March 10, 2018 at 10:16 pm

I have a Cuisinart pressure cooker, I love it! I just made your Spicy Vegetable Soup. I just winged it. Sauteed garlic and onions, then added all the veggies, like in your recipe. I added more carrots and celery and used purple Japanese sweet potatoes though. I probably cooked it too much (10 min. at High Pressure), then added spinach, cashew cream, and chickpeas and cooked for another 4 min. at Low Pressure. My GF and I loved it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2018 at 10:49 am

Hey Andy, Nice work!! Sounds like your first attempt went well…thanks for sharing how you made it!

Tara March 13, 2018 at 12:01 am

In response to the Instant pot question, I have one and find it amazing to make soups and steam vegetables in half the time. The best part is that since it pressure cooks less nutrients are lost in the cooking of the vegetables!

marie March 13, 2018 at 7:39 am

I have an instant pot which I am gradually using more as I get more comfortable with it,chilli,soup,curries etc. But the main reason I love it is that it makes the BEST yogurt, using Edensoy (original unflavoured )and the yogurt starter 12 hours later, perfect!!

Alyssa March 15, 2018 at 8:33 pm

I just moved from New York to Boston and had a 3 month stay in a hotel before our new apartment was ready. The instant pot saved my life. I cook everything in there. Plus the best part is it’s not all hands on cooking. Which is great if you need to run out of the house for a while or run after your little ones. I highly recommend it. I resisted getting one also because I didn’t want another cooking appliance. But it’s really become a main stay in my kitchen. Hope this helps!

Duage May 24, 2018 at 9:08 am

Hello, I bought an instant pot and would like some recipes.