Iced Vanilla Bean Matcha Latte…with a twist!

20160118 - App Smoothies 02452 1

I’ve had a lot of requests for my go-to iced matcha latte recipe since I first posted pictures of it on Snapchat last month. I uploaded it to the app a few weeks ago, and today I’m sharing it on the blog!

I love that matcha gives me loads of energy without any jitters whatsoever. During the first trimester, I didn’t want anything to do with tea or coffee—the thought of it absolutely turned my stomach and I couldn’t even be around it. I made the mistake of drinking a coffee one day after a random craving and I was so sick afterwards. But sometime well into the second trimester, I started to crave matcha tea, and found that I could stomach it just fine. Shortly after, this amazing iced latte recipe was born!

Here are my favourite tips for making the very best iced matcha green tea latte:

– My preferred method, by far, is to blend everything up in the blender. Matcha green tea powder has a tendency to clump very easily, so the blender ensures a super smooth end result!

– My favourite twist? I love to incorporate frozen wheatgrass juice for an extra boost. (I buy the Evergreen brand of frozen wheatgrass cubes.) But not to worry if you don’t have any—it’s still delicious without!

– Vanilla bean makes a lovely pairing with matcha. I love adding 1/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla bean powder into this drink. A bit of pure vanilla extract will also work in a pinch!

– Since matcha has a grassy flavour, I find it needs a bit of sweetener to bring all the flavours together. My preferred sweetener is pure maple syrup—1 to 2 teaspoons, to me, is perfect.

– I always keep a stash of almond milk ice cubes in my freezer now, just for this very drink! The almond milk ice cubes not only keep it super cold, but prevent the drink from getting too watered down, like regular water ice cubes can do.

– A side note: I avoid taking vitamins within 1 to 2 hours of drinking matcha because it can hinder absorption.

– If you want to make it fancy, feel free to add a bit of Coconut Whipped Cream on top. Though usually, I just blend up the latte, pour, and drink!

– I’m often asked which brand of matcha I use. You can find my favourite Do Matcha brand here.

Iced Vanilla Bean Matcha Latte

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, oil-free, soy-free

By

4.8 from 8 reviews

This is a fun way to get a healthy matcha fix when the temperature starts to rise! Rather than using regular ice cubes (which tend to water down lattes), I like to keep a stock of almond milk ice cubes on hand. Blending a couple almond milk cubes into this latte ensures it gets cold without the flavour being compromised! Vanilla bean adds a gourmet feel to an already luxurious cold drink.

Yield
1 1/2 cups (1 serving)
Freeze time
4 to 6 hours (ice cubes only)
Prep Time
Cook time
0 Minutes
Total Time

Ingredients:

• 2 almond milk ice cubes (60 mL), plus more for serving
  • 1 cup (250 mL) unsweetened almond or coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean powder or 1 vanilla bean*, seeded
  • 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, or to taste
  • 1 to 2 frozen wheatgrass cube(s)** (optional)
  • For serving: Coconut Whipped Cream, matcha powder (optional)

Directions:

1. Pour almond milk into an ice cube tray and freeze until solid. I recommend using a silicone mold if possible, as they’re easy to pop the cubes out of. I also try to keep a stash on hand in the freezer so the cubes are ready to go at all times.
  2. To make the latte: Add the cup of almond milk into a blender along with 2 almond milk ice cubes, matcha powder, vanilla, maple syrup, and the optional frozen wheatgrass cube(s). Blend on high for around 20 seconds to ensure it gets nice and frothy.
  3. Pour into a glass, along with more almond milk ice cubes. You can also add a spoonful of coconut whipped cream and a sprinkle of Matcha on top to make it ultra fancy-pants!

Tips:

• * I like to keep pure vanilla bean powder on hand, so it's super quick to add a quarter teaspoon into the blender for a decadent vanilla flavour. If you don't have any vanilla beans or powder on hand, not to worry! You can use vanilla almond milk and/or a half teaspoon of pure vanilla extract in a pinch.
  • ** I love the Evergreen brand of frozen wheatgrass cubes. You can find them in the freezer section of some grocers like Whole Foods and Organic Garage.

Happy iced latte drinking!

1 Raisha May 21, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I think it is important to add that this tea does contain caffein. The Match product does not list this as well. After my drink I was flying high for hours. Not sure that the health benefit outweighs the trumped up nervous system for me.

2 Liz May 24, 2016

Well matcha green tea powder is just that, green tea. Green tea, like most teas aside from herbal, contains caffeine. Not sure why you rated this 3 stars for not knowing green tea contains caffeine…

3 Raisha May 25, 2016

I’m rather disappointed in your reply. Your reply is rather surly.
Since Angela cares about health and writes down many of the benefits of a recipe I would think that mentioning that it contains caffeine is important. And it is more kick than just a glass of green tea so please don’t suggest that I’m ignorant. I’m a big fan of Angela and not very happy with your comment. And you really have no idea why I gave this 3 stars after all.

4 Liz May 25, 2016

That is why you should explain why you gave it three stars so others will know and adjustments can be made! (:

5 stacy s. May 25, 2016

Girlfriend, chill lol.

6 Jillian May 21, 2016

I’ve been wanting to try matcha green tea for awhile and this looks absolutely perfect! Do you have a preferred brand of matcha? Thanks!

7 Jillian May 21, 2016

Whoops, I just noticed your note at the end of the recipe! Got it! ;)

8 Angela Liddon May 24, 2016

Haha, I’m glad the note helped, Jillian! I hope you enjoy the smoothie when you try it :)

9 kathy M May 21, 2016

What brand of vanilla bean powder do you use? I can’t find it locally and in looking online I see that some brands are mixed with sweeteners. Thanks for your advice. This recipe looks so delicious. I’m a great fan of matcha, and am particularly addicted to all of the Breakaway Matcha — a wonderful company in Marin, CA.

10 Summer Holt June 17, 2016

Kathy, did she ever respond with what kind of vanilla bean powder she uses? I have been looking online as well and cannot decide what to purchase.

11 Angela Liddon June 17, 2016

Hi Summer (and Kathy! Sorry, this question slipped past me!), I purchase my vanilla bean powder online from the Vanilla Food Company. Hope this helps!

12 Summer Holt June 17, 2016

Thanks Angela! I noticed that several other people had asked the same question, should have scrolled a little more before asking!

13 Alexis May 21, 2016

This looks so wonderful! I love matcha powder but I have limited knowledge about ways to use it. This looks healthy and delicious, I’m totally trying it <3 Thanks for sharing!

14 Angela Liddon May 24, 2016

I hope you enjoy it, Alexis!

15 Alex May 22, 2016

Hi Angela, I’m a big fan of your recipes and food ethos. I was diagnosed with a neurological condition about a year ago. The medication I’m on is pretty awful in terms of side affects so I’ve been trying a plant based diet to tackle it. And I can honestly say that it’s changed my life in terms of energy, self esteem. Also, I love the food and positive attitude people like yourself give out. You put yourself out there in (the sometimes less than positive) cyberspace to benefit and inspire, people like me, and you do! So much! Anyway, there is a question amongst all this gushing! Do you plan to bring out an android version of your app? I (and I’m sure others) would snap it up in a heart beat! I hope you do, and all the best to you and yours. Keep up the superb work! Alex.x

16 Angela Liddon May 27, 2016

Hi Alex, thank you so much for the incredibly kind words! We’d love to explore developing the app for Andriod in the future, if budget allows. Our fingers are definitely crossed!:) Thanks for the interest in it–it’s appreciated!

17 Suzanne May 27, 2016

I’d love an android app version that! keep us posted:)

18 Heidi Kokborg May 22, 2016

This is just amazing, Angela! I’ve tried Iced matcha lattes on cafes but I never managed to make my own so this recipe is just perfect. Thank you so much for sharing :)

19 Angela Liddon May 24, 2016

Thanks for the lovely comment, Heidi! I hope if you get a chance to try the recipe that it’s exactly what you’ve been looking for :)

20 Kathy M May 22, 2016

I’m wondering what type of vanilla powder you use. I can’t find it locally and when searching online I see that some have sweetener added. Do you like a particular brand best?

21 Arianna May 22, 2016

Hi Angela! This looks yummy and refreshing! Where do you get your pure vanilla bean powder? Thanks for the inspiring and creative website…….love your recipes! Looking forward to your second cookbook!

22 Angela Liddon May 24, 2016

Hi Arianna, I purchase my vanilla bean powder online from the Vanilla Food Company. Hope this helps, and thanks so much for the kind words! :)

23 Hillary May 22, 2016

Where do you get / order vanilla bean powder? And what else can you use vanilla bean powder for?

24 Laura ~ Raise Your Garden May 23, 2016

Vanilla bean powder can and should be used for everything!!! Yum.

I love how you paired matcha with vanilla bean ~ I have not been down this path before. Excited! Kind of like going on the Orient Express Train!

25 Angela Liddon May 27, 2016

Hi Hilary, I order my vanilla bean powder online from the Vanilla Food Company. I love having it on hand, and you can use it in place of vanilla beans (I tend to use a heaping 1/4 teaspoon powder to replace 1 vanilla bean) or as a more luxurious substitute for pure vanilla extract. I love adding it to homemade nut milk, Vegan Overnight Oats, smoothies, Chia Seed Jam, crisps/crumbles, granola bars, and more.

26 Alexa [fooduzzi.com] May 22, 2016

Oh I SO love this! Homemade matcha lattes are my favorite – you’re exactly right; matcha gives you all the energy without any of the jitters! The perfect caffeine jolt as far as I’m concerned ;)

27 Kendra May 22, 2016

I found the contact for support for the app thank you

28 Kendra May 22, 2016

Hi Angela- I’ve really been enjoying your app, today for some reason all of the pictures disappeared. The recipes still show up though. Any ideas on how to fix it?

29 Vegan Heaven May 23, 2016

This looks so delicious, Angela! Love how healthy it is with the matcha and the wheatgrass. :-) I don’t have frozen wheatgrass but I got wheatgrass powder, so I’ll try it with that. Thanks for sharing!

30 Angela Liddon May 24, 2016

I hope you enjoy it! :)

31 Kathy May 23, 2016

I’ve tried to ask this question several times, but for some reason my comment doesn’t post. I’m not sure what the problem is, but I’m giving it one more attempt. I love this idea since I’m crazy about matcha (my fav is Breakaway Matcha — wonder if you’ve tried it) and this idea to pair it with vanilla sounds so good. But I haven’t been able to locate vanilla bean powder locally and in searching online I see that some are mixed with cornstarch. What kind or brand do you use or recommend? Thanks for your great ideas and for your your advice. Love your blog!!!

32 Angela Liddon May 24, 2016

Hi Kathy, I get my vanilla bean powder from the Vanilla Food Company online. Hope this helps, and that you enjoy the smoothie when you get a chance to give it a try! :)

33 Kathy May 24, 2016

Thank you, Angela. Sorry about sending multiple messages. I have already tried the smoothie with vanilla extract and it’s lovely, but I’m hoping to replicate yours.

34 Kelly May 23, 2016

Such a good idea to make almond milk ice cubes, I’ll have to try that! xo Kelly http://lazygirlsguidetofitnessandbeauty.blogspot.com/

35 Diana Edelman May 23, 2016

This sounds SO good. Was just at a tea ceremony and now am obsessed with all things matcha. Hope to have my own recipe to share soon! Thanks for this one!

36 Angela Liddon May 24, 2016

Matcha is so easy to get obsessed with, haha! I hope you enjoy the recipe if you give it a try, Diana :)

37 Zena | Zena 'n Zaatar May 23, 2016

This looks amazing! I love icy energizing drinks to cool down and start my day as the mornings get hotter :)

38 Angela Liddon May 24, 2016

So true, Zena – it’s so great to have a cold option for a that morning energy boost in the warmer months! If you give this recipe a try, I hope you enjoy it.

39 William Reavis May 24, 2016

Amazing recipe!!!! Combination of matcha and bean is absolutely wonderful. Loved the recipe.

40 Angela Liddon May 24, 2016

Hi William, I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe :)

41 Audrey May 24, 2016
Recipe Rating:

GREAT recipe! I love anything matcha!!!

42 Anna Lee May 24, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Okay, this was fantastic! The combo of vanilla bean and matcha was out of this world! Another great recipe! (:

43 Frances @ Faith in Plants May 24, 2016

This looks so yummy! I’ve been having matcha lattes every morning and loving them. Have you tried Rishi’s brand of matcha? Not sure if it is available in Canada, but I absolutely love them. Also completely agree with you about blending the matcha powder–it is much easier to mix that way. My favorite matcha days are when I have just made my homemade almond milk because the foam allows the matcha to absorb right in!

Do you drink coffee at all? I struggle not having coffee but love matcha as an extra boost during the day. The wheatgrass shot may be just what I need! Thanks for sharing :)

44 Angela Liddon May 31, 2016

Matcha lattes made with homemade almond milk are so good! I’ve drank coffee on and off in the past, but my body has a bit of a love/hate relationship with it (coffee tends to make me anxious at times, and I can get withdrawal headaches). I love matcha because it doesn’t have any ill effects on my body, but of course everyone is different. I don’t think coffee is unhealthy, it just depends on how you react to it. :)

45 Heather McClees May 25, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This looks amazing! I’m obsessed with DoMatcha matcha tea, and it’s my go-to superfood to add into smoothies and even oatmeal these days. I love this recipe and the add-in of coconut—yum! :) By the way, I bought your book last month and just love it. It’s a treasured beauty in my vegan cookbook collection! :)

46 Angela Liddon May 25, 2016

Ah, another DoMatcha fan! :) So glad you like the recipe, and thanks so much for the cookbook love!

47 Liz May 25, 2016

I didn’t have frozen wheat grass but had Amazing Grass powder that I used instead. I really enjoyed it! Next time I plan to mix it up and freeze it in ice cube trays beforehand so it’ll be nice and frosty. :D

48 Liz May 25, 2016

Whoops, I guess I forgot to rate it.

49 Amber-dawn May 25, 2016

Hi Angela,

I love your blog, it really gets me excited about healthy eating. Can you believe I’ve almost read the whole thing? I like how you left all your old posts up so we can follow your journey. I’ve been thinking about buying some wheatgrass cubes, so will have to give this iced latte a try ( I love Matcha)
P.S-I may have missed it because I still have a few pages to catch up on but how is Sketchie?

50 Pure Ella May 25, 2016

Wow! This looks and sounds amazing!! I need to restock my matcha :)
Hope you’re feeling well Angela, especially this heat so early on can make a preggo mama exhausted…. *hugs* ella

51 Richard May 26, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Love this idea. Thought the ‘twist’ would be lemon, so was pleased to see a new concept. Many of our customers are concerned about the caffeine in matcha. It’s about half as much as a cup of coffee, but most importantly the caffeine reacts with the L-Theanine to slow release. This allows some people to enjoy matcha tea and the energy boost it offers that wouldn’t usually be able to drink caffeine, including some that are pregnant or nursing. x

52 Carrie May 26, 2016

I bought vanilla bean paste by accident :( Does anyone know if it will work? How is paste diffrent than powder, also? Thank you for your help!

53 Mr. Cents @ www.itmakescents.net May 27, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Found this recipe a couple of days ago, tried making it today and was pleasantly surprised especially since I am not a latte person.

54 Lady A Janet May 27, 2016

Thanks for sharing this recipe with us. Honestly, it looks sumptuous. I can’t wait to try it out with my family. Awesome post!!!

55 Angela Liddon May 27, 2016

I hope you all love it! :)

56 Camillia May 27, 2016

Does anyone have any recommendations for matcha? I purchased some on Amazon and I hate it. Tastes awful no matter how much sweetener I use and I don’t want to use much.

57 Brenda May 28, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I was inspired by your recipe and decided to change it a bit and loved the drink. I used coconut milk and plain icecubes, and added a heaping big spoon of chia seed gel for lots of omega 3 nutrients.

58 Noreen June 4, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I had been searching for a recipe for the matcha frappuccino I enjoy so much at Starbucks – – preferably one that didn’t require banana. And this one is perfect! Thank you!

59 Sarah Foley June 5, 2016

Hello! Could I make a few of these in advance and freeze then do you think? Thank you :-)

60 Angela Liddon June 10, 2016

I’m really not sure to be honest! I have only ever tried them fresh. Let us know if you try anything out!

61 Elaine June 8, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Drink it every morning and love it! Changed my whole morning routine in a good way :) The vanilla bean powder makes a huge difference and i love the frozen wheatgrass pod. I which I could find them at mainstream groceries stores though. Sigh. Maybe one day!

62 Heidi Kokborg June 30, 2016

Hi Angela! I finally got around to buy matcha powder and I would love to try a matcha latte. But it’s still freezing cold in Denmark so I think I’ll wait with the iced latte. But how do you make it warm? Is it the same recipe with just warm milk and no ice?

63 Nicole July 19, 2016

Can you blend up a big batch in advance and keep it in the fridge for a few days?

64 Brianna August 9, 2016

Hello!

I’ve decided to start waining my coffee intake and thought green matcha tea would be a great substitute to have some caffeine on those early work days! As I’ve been researching green matcha tea, I’ve noticed there is a higher amount of lead and it makes me a bit nervous. I’d love to know your thoughts!

65 Julia Young August 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I’m new to Matcha, but this was delish! Very easy to make. Thank you!

66 Angela Liddon August 29, 2016

Glad it was a hit Julia!

67 Angela September 14, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This is just so fantastic. No words. I make ‘green looking stuff’ for my roommates all the time so they all expected something spins by again :)
It blew their minds!!
I’m gonna try to use this as a base and try to add spinach tomorrow morning tho haha

68 Angela Liddon September 15, 2016

So glad it was a hit, Angela! I’d love to hear how you like it with the spinach.