I’ve had a lot of requests for my go-to iced matcha latte recipe since I first posted pictures of it on Snapchat last month. I uploaded it to the app a few weeks ago, and today I’m sharing it on the blog!
I love that matcha gives me loads of energy without any jitters whatsoever. During the first trimester, I didn’t want anything to do with tea or coffee—the thought of it absolutely turned my stomach and I couldn’t even be around it. I made the mistake of drinking a coffee one day after a random craving and I was so sick afterwards. But sometime well into the second trimester, I started to crave matcha tea, and found that I could stomach it just fine. Shortly after, this amazing iced latte recipe was born!
Here are my favourite tips for making the very best iced matcha green tea latte:
– My preferred method, by far, is to blend everything up in the blender. Matcha green tea powder has a tendency to clump very easily, so the blender ensures a super smooth end result!
– My favourite twist? I love to incorporate frozen wheatgrass juice for an extra boost. (I buy the Evergreen brand of frozen wheatgrass cubes.) But not to worry if you don’t have any—it’s still delicious without!
– Vanilla bean makes a lovely pairing with matcha. I love adding 1/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla bean powder into this drink. A bit of pure vanilla extract will also work in a pinch!
– Since matcha has a grassy flavour, I find it needs a bit of sweetener to bring all the flavours together. My preferred sweetener is pure maple syrup—1 to 2 teaspoons, to me, is perfect.
– I always keep a stash of almond milk ice cubes in my freezer now, just for this very drink! The almond milk ice cubes not only keep it super cold, but prevent the drink from getting too watered down, like regular water ice cubes can do.
– A side note: I avoid taking vitamins within 1 to 2 hours of drinking matcha because it can hinder absorption.
– If you want to make it fancy, feel free to add a bit of Coconut Whipped Cream on top. Though usually, I just blend up the latte, pour, and drink!
– I’m often asked which brand of matcha I use. You can find my favourite Do Matcha brand here.
Happy iced latte drinking!