DIY Burrito Bowl

DIYveganburritobowl5

Hello from Scottsdale, Arizona! We’re here visiting for a little work and play. I’m so excited to be getting away for some downtime after a busy year. My mom and stepdad are arriving soon too, and Adriana is pumped to have lots of quality time with her Mimi and Papa. The last time we were here I was 6/7 weeks pregnant so it’s pretty amazing to be here with my girl this year. That trip, I could barely get off the couch due to 1st trimester nausea (I think I hiked a total of 1 mile, lol); it’ll be nice to feel normal again. I plan on making up for the last visit in many ways, especially on the food front! Any new plant-based restaurants pop up?

Our trip is off to a bit of a strange start – we had a series of odd events yesterday during our trek here, and then we woke up to an earthquake (!) last night. It felt like a truck slammed into the side of our bedroom. Luckily, it wasn’t too bad (4.1-mag), but it did give us quite a scare in the middle of the night. Aka…I screamed and then said a couple choice words. I immediately checked the baby monitor and Adriana didn’t even budge! Oh to sleep like a baby. Anyway, that was quite the welcome.

This hearty meal was thrown together last week and I loved it so much I knew I had to share it with you. Plus, I figured we could all use a balanced meal after the Halloween festivities.

I did a an informal poll on Facebook asking you – burrito (in a wrap) or burrito bowl? Most of you said BOWL….just give me the bowl! Here are a handful of your responses:

Katherine loves the versatility of a bowl. “I love both. But I think there are more options with a bowl, especially for creative rice substitutions that have more nutritional value than a tortilla. And I trust you to make it delicious AND healthy!” (side note: I used classic white rice here (no regrets!! gah, so good), but you can use any base you like – cauliflower rice, quinoa, shredded lettuce, etc.)

Others think a burrito bowl creates feelings of jealousy and envy. Stacy wrote, “With the tortilla! Otherwise, it’s a pile of ingredients merely wishing they were a burrito!”

Some of you thought outside the box bowl. Jaya said, “A nice compromise is actually baking the flour/rice/whatever kind of tortilla into a bowl shape, so you get a crispy bowl!” (hello, lover)

Others mentioned giving the option of a wrap by serving the soft tortillas on the side. Jodi wrote, “Bowl for me, but kids would chose burrito. Win win either way!”

So I went with a bowl for this post, but rest assured you can also stuff this into a big soft tortilla wrap. I absolutely love burrito bowls because you can make them as simple or as complex as you want. They can be as basic as plain black beans, sliced avocado, store-bought salsa, and rice, or you can load on a wide array of toppings to your heart’s content. I tried to keep this one simple, but also included some interesting components that make it fun and unique. I hope you love it as much as we do!

burritobowlvegan

DIY Burrito Bowl

Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

5 from 47 reviews

This burrito bowl is so filling and healthy! The Spicy Black Beans are adapted from one of my favourite cookbooks, Super Fresh: Super Natural, Super Vibrant Vegan Recipes by Jennifer Houston and Ruth Tal. The spicy black beans are to die for. (Or, to live for!) I love to use the beans in a wrap, sprinkled on a salad, or even as a dip with tortilla chips and guacamole. The Avocado-Lime Sauce is also a must-make. It yields about a heaping half cup so if you are a big avocado lover you can always double the recipe. To change up this recipe, stuff everything into a large soft tortilla wrap rather than enjoying it bowl style.

Yield
3 servings
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

For the burrito bowl:
  • 1 cup dry white long-grain rice (or rice of choice)
  • 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil or vegan butter*
  • Salsa, as needed
  • Sliced green onion, for garnish
  • Sliced grape tomatoes, for garnish (optional)
For the Spicy Black Beans:
  • 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup diced sweet onion
  • 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
  • 3/4 to 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 1/2 plus 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup unpacked cilantro, large stems removed and finely chopped
For the Avocado-Lime Sauce (makes heaping 1/2 cup):
  • 1 large garlic clove
  • 1 large avocado, pitted
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste

Directions:

1. For the rice: Add the rice and 1 tablespoon of oil or butter into a medium pot along with 2 cups of water. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Immediately reduce the heat to low-medium, and cover with a lid. Cook the rice until it’s tender and the water is absorbed. For white long-grain rice this will take 13 to 20 minutes, but please follow the directions on your specific package for best results.
  2. Meanwhile, prepare the Spicy Black Beans: In a large wok or skillet, add the oil and melt it over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, along with a pinch of salt, and sauté for about 5 to 6 minutes, until softened.
  3. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, cayenne (if using), and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Continue sautéing for another 3 to 5 minutes (increasing/reducing heat if necessary), until the tomato softens.
  4. Now stir in the tomato paste and drained and rinsed black beans. Cook for a few more minutes until heated throughout. Taste and add more salt if desired. Stir in the cilantro. You can leave the mixture over low heat until ready to serve or simply turn off the heat and reheat before serving.
  5. For the Avocado-Lime Sauce: Mince the garlic clove in a mini food processor (or use a regular size processor, if necessary). Now add the avocado flesh, lime juice, water, and salt. Process until smooth. Taste and adjust lime juice if desired. I usually add another teaspoon.
  6. When the rice is ready, reheat the bean mixture, if necessary. Divide the rice between 2 to 3 bowls. Top each with a couple scoops of the hot black bean mixture, and a large spoonful of both the salsa and the Avocado-Lime Sauce. Garnish with sliced green onion and optional sliced grape tomatoes. Serve immediately.

Tips:

• * Why the use of refined coconut oil? Unlike virgin coconut oil, refined coconut oil doesn't have a noticeable coconut flavour. I use it whenever I don't want a coconut flavour to come through. That being said, if you don't mind a bit of coconut flavour feel free to use the virgin kind.

Photography credit: Ashley McLaughlin Photography

vegnewsawards

I recently heard that Oh She Glows won “Favorite Blog” in the 14th annual Veggie Awards™. Even though I never feel quite deserving of such a title given the immense talent in our plant-based community, I’m so grateful for those of you who love what I do and take the time to vote. You guys inspire me to grow and improve in so many ways! My 7-year “blogiversary” was on Halloween (seriously, I can’t believe it has been that long!), and this blog would be nothing without YOU. My favourite part of blogging is that I’ve met so many incredible people over the years, so just know that if you’ve ever taken time to leave a comment or said hello in person, it’s not something I take lightly. Or, if you’ve made a recipe and enjoyed it with your family, even better!

Ps – Thanks for all your reviews on the Pumpkin Gingerbread Muffins! So glad you are enjoying them.

1 Ashley November 2, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I love that I get to make all of your recipes now and it’s for work! We scarfed these bowls Friday night + loved them. Obviously drenched in nacho “cheese” sauce. The cilantro in the beans was the perfect amount for this non-cilantro lover. ;) Aaand, I never knew that long grain white rice only takes less than 20min to cook. Crazy!

2 Katie November 3, 2015

Loving that you guys collaborate now! Been following both of you for years! Ashley is love to know what cheese sauce recipe you used!

3 Ashley November 4, 2015

Hi Katie! Thanks for the sweet comment! :) The cheese sauce will be in OSG cookbook 2 and it’s killer!! You’re going to love it! My husband and I are obsessed.

4 Tiffany27 November 2, 2015

Holy frickin crap this looks delicious. Will be attempting this this weekend!

5 Danielle November 2, 2015

Although we live in Toronto, my partner’s family lives in Phoenix, so we visit the city often. I’m sure you’ve already tried them, but here are our favourite vegan joints in the Phoenix area are TrueFood (obvi), Green, and Nami (especially for breakfast and for their hominy side dish). Enjoy the warmth!

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 2, 2015

Thanks Danielle! I totally hear you about True Food…we always get there at least twice. I think I’ve been to Green but it was years ago and don’t think I’ve heard of Nami! Will check them out for sure.

7 Kristin August 5, 2016

I live in Phoenix and recommend checking out Pita Jungle (my favorite). There are several locations in the valley. I also enjoy the Persian Garden Café.

8 Sally November 2, 2015

Welcome to Arizona! Crazy you should arrive when we have three earthquakes in one night! I love your blog and have made several recipes. I work in Scottsdale and love it. Enjoy your stay!

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 2, 2015

Crazy timing right? Thanks for the warm welcome :) Gorgeous weather so far! But I’m not surprised one bit.

10 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 2, 2015

Oh my goodness, sorry to hear about the (literally) shaky start to your holiday, Ange! But I’m so glad you’re getting to enjoy some time off and see your family too. Wishing you lots of fabulous nausea-free hikes this time around! And on the whole burrito front, I’m totally on team bowl. I always end up trying to stuff too many fillings into my tortillas anyway, so whether or not I intend to, it all generally explodes and gets eaten with a fork out of a bowl anyway!

11 Dani Mendocha | Styled Variety November 2, 2015

Burrito bowls are my favorite, so I’m excited to see this recipe on your blog! The avocado lime sauce sounds AMAZING :)

Dani | http://www.styledvariety.com

12 Laura ~ Raise Your Garden November 2, 2015

Oh my, you woke up to an Earthquake, how scary for you! It’s not always fun living in Niagara Falls (the US side) because it gets so cold here but I am thankful for no earthquakes or severe weather that way. Just super cold and snowy. Your daughter is brave =) Lovely DIY bowl. The title of this post is adorable and you managed to take a cute picture of black beans. I mean, you made black beans look sweet. Ha. This bowl looks hearty and filling. Thanks.

13 KT November 3, 2015

The earthquake was extremely odd for Az. And so small that it is the running joke around here :)

14 Allysia November 2, 2015

Okay, I’m seriously going to need to try this – usually when I do a burrito bowl, it’s plain rice + plain beans + various toppings and veggies, and the dressing is salsa. Because sometimes (oftentimes) I’m lazy.

15 Erica D House November 2, 2015

These look great! I was making burrito bowls last week based off a recipe my Mom used and, while hers turned out, mine were a total fail. Just plain. Looking forward to trying your recipe!

16 Jessica November 2, 2015

Mexican is by far my favourite food style and this sound UNBELIEVABLE. I am making this bowl this week.

17 Connie November 2, 2015

Yum! I actually love burrito bowls. Generally I prefer corn tortillas, and corn tortillas are not particularly good for making burritos. Serving tortillas on the side is a good option, if one wishes to have them.

18 Kelley November 2, 2015

This looks great for a casual dinner when you have people who are dairy-free and gluten-free. Maybe for our next basketball party!

19 Monique November 2, 2015

Yayyy, so happy you’re back to regular blogging :) LOVE all the new recipes and inspiration. The one thing I always struggle with though is avocado recipes. When I crave a recipe it seems impossible to find a good ripe one at the grocery store (they are always overripe or rotten). So I revert to buying green ones and waiting anxiously for them to ripen to finally make the recipe, praying the avocado won’t be under- or overripe again (or rotten after all, SUCH a let down). Any tips greatly appreciated!!
Have a wonderful time with your family in Arizona!

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 2, 2015

Hi Monique,
Thanks for the kind words!
I read a tip a while back about selecting avocados and it has yet to fail me. Basically, you pop off the round “stem” (or whatever it’s called) near the top. If it looks brown or dark or rotten underneath, that’s a sure sign that the avocado flesh is bruised too. On the other hand, if it still looks a bit green and fresh that’s a more safe bet. If you do it a lot you’ll eventually know when it’s “perfect” – or just about close to it! Hope this helps…I use this trick sometimes but I still get a dud every now and then!

21 Monique November 2, 2015

Thank you! I will definitely try this :)

22 Hailey November 2, 2015

LOVE burrito bowls!!

When your in scottsdale make sure to check out both Chopshop and Flower Child. Both make really good salads and juices

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 2, 2015

Thanks for the recommendations! Googling now… ;)

24 Paige November 2, 2015

These burrito bowls look fabulous! I wish I was eating on for lunch right now!

Paige

25 Liora (Allthingsloveli) November 2, 2015

So funny- I made myself a very similar lunch today and called it my diy chipotle bowl, but I used wild rice. Yours looks amazing!

26 Kaleigh November 2, 2015

I echo an earlier sentiment – it’s so lovely that the blog feels like it’s back to full force – not that I begrudge you the time away. My little one is turning one in a few weeks, and I can barely manage to get myself dressed in the mornings, let alone write an entire cookbook!

It really is perfect timing, I’m back to work in a few weeks, and will need lots of lunch inspiration!

Have fun in Arizona!

27 Sarah November 2, 2015

This looks so delicious and exactly what I think I shall make for lunch tomorrow. Thanks for sharing :)

28 Michelle November 2, 2015

Hey Angela! Welcome to AZ! I love your blog and use your cookbook almost weekly!!! Can’t wait for number 2 to come out!

While you are here, check out these places:

Flower Child (it’s a newer restaurant and was created by the same guy as True Food)
Nami
Green
Loving Hut

Other idea, find Veganphx on Instagram- He is touring, snapping pictures, and gives feedback on vegan food options in the area. Great local ideas for you to check out!

Lastly, for sure hit Natural Grocers if you need food or ingredients while staying here- AMAZING variety and good prices!

Most of all… enjoy the weather! :) :)

29 Katrina November 2, 2015

I have big fat heart eyes for this! Definitely a bowl!! Always a bowl!!! This sounds so good!

30 Pippa November 2, 2015

Bowls all the way for us! And lucky girl…okay, not so lucky on the earthquake – scary. Have a great vacation! We love AZ and all its wonderful variety. Be sure to check out Sphinx Dates (Phoenix) and Queen Creek Olives (south of the city & Canadian ex-pats from London, ON). Happy hiking, too. We loved rambling around the Desert Botanical Gardens and had a lot of fun doing the Pinnacle Peak trail.

31 Maude November 2, 2015

Hi Angela, congratulations for your award! I would like to thank you for the amazing recipes you’re sharing here. I’ve already tried many of them and most of the time they turned out perfect!! That’s one reason why I like your blog so much-your recipes are well thought, accessible and designed to be a success in everybody’s kitchen! I’m not vegan or vegetarian but I enjoy plant-based food because it’s TASTY! For my birthday dinner I took the “risk” to prepare a 100% vegetarian meal; I made your pasta with the pumpkin-cashew sauce and some broccolis, with a lentil-chestnut soup as starter, and it was a success, even the meat-lovers loved it :-)
Keep going!
Greetings from Switzerland

32 miss agnes November 2, 2015

Thanks, this looks yummy. I am trying to reduce our meat consumption as a family, and this recipe is sure to be a winner at home. Beans and rice together are full of proteins, and this should help fill hungry stomachs.

33 Jessica @ TwoGreenPeas November 2, 2015

We made this for dinner tonight and loved it; the spicy beans are so flavourful! Hope you have fun in Arizona :)

34 Shimmy November 2, 2015

Ahhh Angela! Welcome back to the Valley! I’ve only lived here a few months but I’ve hit up a few veg friendly places … Flower Child is delish if a bit pricey. Pita Bistro is a Chipotle style lunch spot and I love the falafel bowl! Too bad you’re not book touring/etc. I would have loved to meet you!

35 Cassandra November 2, 2015

I like olives on dishes like this and, come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen olives in any of your recipes. Not a fan?

36 Nicole November 2, 2015

I am so making this tomorrow. I just got a big bag of discounted avocados tomatoes, and romain lettuce. I’m thinking of cutting the rice in half and adding a bed of lettuce to this! So excited to try this, the beans are soaking right now! :) ❤️

37 Ruth November 3, 2015

My favorite “company” meal is a burrito buffet. The basic start is what you suggested. I add frajita veggies (roasted peppers and onions), roasted tofu, corn salsa (Chipotle’s recipe) with pulled pork/chicken and cheese for my omnivore friends and family. It is always a big hit. Also works well for a “pot luck” gathering: each person contributes to the buffet.

38 Tom // eatwise November 3, 2015

This looks incredible! Hard to beat a burrito bowl. Great pics by the way! ;)

39 Camille November 3, 2015

How did no one mention 24 Carrots in Tempe? http://www.24carrotsjuice.com

Don’t be fooled by the juice part, it is way, way more that just juice. It is locally owned and the menu changes weekly based on what’s fresh. While it’s not in Scottsdale, it’s just a short little drive down 101. I’d have to say it’s even better than True Food, though because it’s not a big chain, the ambiance is different. Regardless, I think you will love it.

40 Diana November 3, 2015

If you are still in Scottsdale, eat at Green Restaurant. Damon is very nice! They have an amazing array of plant base food and they also have a vegan bakery next door! It’s fantastic!

41 Paul @ Eco Stores Direct November 3, 2015

Looks truly delicous, I know what I’m making this week

42 Leanne November 3, 2015

I love a bowl. Half the time my burrito falls apart anyway, might as well start with a bowl! I wanted to share this recipe for Mexican Rice that is AMAZING in a burrito. I made a few changes to the original post. I use coconut oil for veg oil. Also, the thing that puts it over the top is using jarred pizza sauce in place of the plain tomato sauce (I use my own homemade, home canned stuff but any kind would work). And vegan chicken-ish broth powder works as well. This is seriously my new favorite way to make rice and perfect for anything “Mexican” styled! http://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/restaurant-style-mexican-rice.html

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 3, 2015

I love the addition of tomato sauce in the rice…yum! Thanks for the idea :)

44 Jennifer November 3, 2015

I use to work at the burrito bar. I use to eat burrito bowls or burrito salads, but then as work got busier I switched to burritos since they were fast to eat during breaks. Then when I quit I kept making burritos as they were easier heat and clean at my other job. I think the idea of portability is what makes me love a burrito- even if I don’t make them normally. The one I made today is a mix of leftover brown rice, chili, and a sweet potato & brussel sprout dish.

45 K Fisher November 3, 2015

Hello! I live in the PHX Valley and you MUST make a visit to Pomegranate Cafe in Ahwatukee! Best Vegan place I have been to in the Valley. You will not be disappointed. :)

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 3, 2015

thank you!! Googling now :) :)

47 Jenny November 3, 2015

I just have to mention Kale & Clover in N. Scottsdale. I wish I could eat there every day. They have meat, vegetarian and vegan. And their veg items are satisfying for everyone.

48 Holly moore November 3, 2015

Love your recipes & cookbook.! Could you add nutrient information. Calories, fiber, carbs etc.
Thanks

49 Izalino November 3, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I tried this recipe last night and it was AMAZING! I have tried many of your recipes and even purchased your book and I have to say not one recipe has failed on taste. Keep up the great work and I’m looking forward to your second recipe book and vegan meal ideas.

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 3, 2015

I’m so happy to hear that! Thank you for the feedback!

51 KJ | Om Nom Herbivore November 3, 2015

This bowl looks delicious!! I hope you have a great time in AZ!

52 Alanna F. November 3, 2015

You would love Pomegranate Cafe. It is a little drive from Scottsdale but well worth it!

53 Lia November 3, 2015

What is the nutritional content of this recipe?

54 Corey November 3, 2015
Recipe Rating:

This was very yummy! Instead of the spices in the recipe, I used your 10 spice blend (http://ohsheglows.com/2014/10/02/10-spice-vegetable-soup-freezer-friendly-vegan-gluten-free/) which I already had made, and Ina Garten’s guacamole. Spicy beans, guac, brown rice, and hot sauce is all this needed to be a delicious meal.

I use that 10 spice blend for just about everything, by the way. It’s magical.

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2015

Oh that sounds AMAZING! Thanks for the feedback :)

56 Katie November 3, 2015

Looks delicious! I love, love burrito bowls. They’re my go-to quick meal. You can throw almost any veggie into the bean mixture, too– kale, peppers, summer squash, broccoli. Yum!

57 Nicole w. November 3, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I made this bowl and enjoyed it rice, next day milket, third day in a bun. So good!
Congrats on winning the Veggie Awards Favorite Blog again! I confess, I voted for your blog through a link to the voting that was on a different blog!

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2015

So glad you enjoyed this Nicole! Thanks for your feedback – I will have to try it with millet next!
Also, thanks so much for your vote :)

59 Lisa November 3, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I made this for dinner tonight. It will be a regular at our table from now on.

60 Laura November 3, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Made this bowl on a busy weeknight and couldn’t believe how quick and easy it was to make! Thank you, Angela for always providing ridiculously delicious and healthy meals, especially for those of us with busy schedules :)

61 Geri C November 3, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Wow, this is delicious! Saw the IG pic today & just had to make it. Easy too. I put mine over quinoa.

62 Tish November 3, 2015

Welcome to Arizona! Angela have you tried Pomegranate Cafe in Phoenix?
If not, you should definitely give it a try…delicious, creative dishes plus juice and
Smoothie bar.

63 Katie Harris November 3, 2015

GO TO CHOP SHOP!! Such a lovely restaurant you would love it :) or flower child, another fantastic choice!

64 Kassidy November 3, 2015

Enjoy your stay in Arizona! I live in Tempe. Like some said already definitely check out Nami for Sunday brunch or desserts and pomegranate cafe. I also recommend Iss Oatmeal Cafe and 24 Carrots if you’re in the Tempe/Mesa area.

65 Tara November 4, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I made this for dinner last night and wow was it good! I did make some minor changes by adding some lime juice and a generous amount of cilantro to the rice and also I found my bean mixture a bit on the dry side so I added about 1/4 cup of water and instead of cayenne pepper I put in a few (well more like 10) shakes of Franks Red Hot, because well, I put that s*#t of everything! Super recipe, will definitely be making this on again :)

66 Heidi Kokborg November 4, 2015

Congratulations on winning the veggie award! You deserve it! :) & it sounds awful with the earth quake – I am glad you are all okay!
& the burrito bowl looks really good!!

67 Élise November 4, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Tried it with a touch of smoked paprika in the beans, it was delicious.

68 Marie-Claude November 4, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Perfect! Burrito bowl for me… and wrap for my boyfriend :))

69 David November 4, 2015

Hi Angela, my wife and I have been making your recipes for years and have loved pretty much everything we’ve made. For this recipe, did you really mean 2 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger? When we made it, eating it that night we thought it was really ginger-y. Then again, eating the leftovers the next day, it tasted great… So, maybe it was spot on? For us, if we are eating it the same night we cook it, we’d cut the ginger in half, but maybe we’re just ginger sensitive? Thanks again for all the amazing recipes. We can’t wait for the new cookbook to come out!

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2015

Hi David, Thanks so much for your kind words about my recipes! I’m a bit confused because this comment is left on the DIY Burrito Bowl and there is no ginger in the recipe. :) Did you mean another one?

71 David November 4, 2015

Woops… My bad. I was flipping between the dal recipe from last week and your new post, and I posted on the wrong recipe! Sorry!

72 Amanda November 5, 2015

Hi Angela – I didn’t see anyone recommend Fresh Mint. It’s by the Scottsdale airpark and it’s amazing! Love your blog!

73 The Cook November 5, 2015

This really reminds me of the burrito bowls at Chipotle and I’ve always wanted to try to recreate one. Now I have a recipe to follow! :) Also, I must say that I’m really enjoying Ashley’s photography. She’s so talented!

74 Laura November 5, 2015

How do you get the photographer to take the gorgeous photos of your cooking if she lives in the States?! I’m so curious!

75 Eva November 6, 2015

Oh my gosh, this was so delicious. My 5 and 2 year old sod great with this as well. They are a bit picky, so this was a big win. And really it was better and easier than burritos.

76 Diana November 6, 2015
Recipe Rating:

This recipe is seriously tasty (am eating it right now!). I have young twins and this is my first dinner for 3 nights. What a great way to break my [unintentional] fast!

77 Jessica DeMarra November 6, 2015

Gorgeous photos and I don’t think I have ever seen any burrito look so beautiful. Love the vibrancy of that yummy avocado cream.

78 Amar Z November 6, 2015

I would like to take the time to thank you veryyyyy much for a fantastic recipe that turned out amazingly good and wholesome. I made it extra spicy. The avocado lime sauce = to die for. Even the hubz was blown away :) I doubled the ingredients and it turned out great. The only different thing I will do next time is triple the ingredients since there was no leftovers lol

79 viviane November 6, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I have found a new dinner time favourite! After making this last night, I was stunned by the flavour and how wonderfully hearty it is! YUM!! So thrilled to add this to my list of top notch dinners!! Thanks for sharing!!

80 MissLemonade November 6, 2015

Hey there!

I’m a fresh new baby vegan and I can’t wait to try these recipe’s of yours! It’s funny to think that all I want for Christmas right now is a food processor and coconut oil!! Love your blog, can’t wait to get started on some of these. <3

81 Jacqueline November 6, 2015

This looks absolutely delicious! I’ve been meaning to try cauliflower rice for a while and this looks like the perfect dish for it. Thanks for sharing!

82 Kyle November 7, 2015

Hi Angela! I am a long time blog follower of yours and I wanted to congratulate you with all my heart on your veggie award!!! You more than deserve it for all of your amazing recipes. I wanted to make a request for a recipe or recipes for you to do. I’ve been really into veggie bowls and Buddha bowls and your lemon tahini sauce is my go to for basically everything, salads, bowls, etc.. Could you channel your magical recipe creating powers to come up with more veggie bowl sauces? I stumbled upon a food blog and you tube channel called sweet potato soul and she had two but they came from a jar. If you haven’t checked her blog out yet look into it and make her sweet potato falafel, it will change your life Thanks Angela!!!

83 Monique Cabellon November 7, 2015

Hi Angela,
I have to say, I am absolutely in love with your recipes and your blog. I look forward to Friday nights when I spend time creating my shopping list for the week’s lunch and dinner by finding a new recipe on your website. I have tried every recipe you’ve posted for the last few weeks and every one is full of flavor, helps my body feel energized and is very filling (I recently decided to go vegetarian and was concerned about not feeling full).

Thank you for your dedication in finding healthy, fulfilling, delicious, and beautiful looking food! I am impressed with the creativity you demonstrate with the ingredients every week.

I was wondering- have you had any thoughts about posting nutritional information with each recipe? For example, I’d love to know how much protein I’m getting in each serving just in case I need to adjust and add more. Just curious.

Thanks again for your persistent dedication to healthy eating and for making me feel like an amazing cook!

Sincerely,
Monique

84 Ashlae November 7, 2015

The woman after my own heart. Love this recipe and it is TOTALLY worth a bike ride to the store to get some avocados. Hope you guys are enjoying Scottsdale! XO

85 Jannalla November 7, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Just made this tonight …. Delicious. It was spicier than I thought but somehow I managed to make it through………love your recipes. Thank you so much

86 Darlene November 8, 2015
Recipe Rating:

We had this for supper tonight and it was soooo good! Thank you! I can hardly wait to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow too.

87 Karen November 9, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I almost took a pass on this bowl, thinking that I’ve made very similar black bean burrito bowls hundreds of times, but I am so glad I took a second look and made it last night. You always manage to create recipes standouts – no matter how seemingly simple and basic. This was so, so yummy! It will is bound to be in regular rotation all winter long – a great, super quick to prep. recipe winner. Angela – you are one in a very select group of recipe developers that never disappoints and for that, I am grateful!

88 Lisa November 9, 2015

I tripled this so we would have lunch for a few days. But my 16 year old son came home with 5 friends and it was gone in 10 minutes. They loved and devoured it.

89 Sanatha November 10, 2015
Recipe Rating:

My sisters and I loved it!!!! Thank you so much for giving us acces to all theses recipes for free. I bought your book and I use it almost everyday. I gave one to my cousin….. Such a great book.

90 Julie November 10, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Very good week supper! Ntoo many ingredients and done quite quickly a good thing cause I was starving!! i’m eating it as I type this. I just put half the cayenne pepper for a test, as my boyfriend is very sensitive regarding spicy food. it’sperfect for me, although i’ll do it without cayenne for him. lime-avocado sauce adds freshness to the plate. it’s one to keep! thanks!

91 Laurel November 11, 2015

This sounds delicious! I will try a burrito bowl tonight, thanks for the inspiration :)

92 Angela November 12, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I’m new to the meatless world and loving it. This recipe tastes fabulous, was easy to prepare and very filling. I’m learning how to cook meals that don’t revolve around a piece of meat and recipes like this make it so much easier. Thank you so much!

93 Julie November 12, 2015
Recipe Rating:

You just took burrito bowls to a whole new level! This was a huge hit with the whole extended family, which includes vegans, omnivores, pescetarians, and an 11-month-old baby. Your blog and cookbook have been my go-to’s since I became vegan almost 3 years ago (at the age of 52–better late than never!), and your recipes never let me down. Thank you for sharing your gifts and talents with the rest of us!

94 Carolyn November 12, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I almost didn’t make this because I throw together similar bowls quite often, but I’m so glad I tried it! You have a way with elevating simple dishes and flavors. My husband and I both loved it and will definitely come back to it again. Thank you Angela!!!

95 wendie November 15, 2015

Will the avocado cream last – I like to meal prep on Sunday for the week? Looks fantastic by the way!

96 Jody2of5 November 16, 2015

Angela,

I’ve visited your blog in the past, but forget to do that on a regular basis! I have your cookbook, which is BEAUTIFUL, and was wondering do you have a possible publish date for the second cookbook??? Looking forward to that one. Thank You.

97 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2015

Thank you so much. The second cookbook should be out in early Fall 2016.

98 Neala November 16, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Just made this- what a hit! I used quinoa instead of rice, and added your nacho cheese sauce, and it was incredible!! Could not be more obsessed with your blog.

99 rachel jones November 17, 2015

Oh wow this looks delicious while at the same time easy enough for a kitchen newbie like myself to whip up. Can’t wait to try this out and convert one my favourite meals into a vegan healthy alternative!

Thanks!!!

100 Jerri Kindig November 17, 2015

I tried this last weekend, and it was brilliant!! One of the best recipes for this type of thing I have found. I passed it one to practically all my friends and they have said it was great as well! Bulls Eye hit on this one!! Our book club has been reading Ditching The Drive Thru by Natalie Winch, and we go out and buy ingredients for her recipes, cook them up and try them at each meeting, they are fantastic and this recipe fits right in! Her book is so good, a lot of ideas for Farm Fresh options which in my opinion are the best options out there!

101 Nicki Escudero November 18, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I made these last night, and they were delicious! So simple and so flavorful — thanks for all the great recipes! Nicki

102 Tamar November 19, 2015

Hi, i have a question… If i use regular black beans (not canned), soak them overnight cook them and then follow the rest of the recipe would that work? And what would be the correct amount of pre-cooked beans? Thnx… Great blog!!!

103 Maria Pearson November 19, 2015

Have just made this…..it’s fantastic!

104 Lauren November 22, 2015

I am a vegetarian that tries to eat as little extra animal product as possible (dairy, eggs, etc) and my family are big meat eaters!! However, I made this for them last night and they all loved it! It was delicious and easy to prepare. Thank you for the recipe.

105 Jules November 22, 2015

Made this last night with a few tweaks: replaced the avocado because I loath it (sadly!) with a salsa (as suggested by another reviewer) and ate it over quinoa – it was delicious! Thank you – very simple but very yummy.

106 Polly November 24, 2015

Beautiful place!! The pics are perfect and white dress too!

107 Vanessa November 24, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I just made this! Very yummy. It’s the perfect right-before-thanksgiving-clean-out-the-fridge-meal!! Awesome, and it makes 3 generous servings. Yummy, will definitely repeat this.

108 Kathryn November 25, 2015
Recipe Rating:

We tried it out last night and it was amazing! The black beans are incredible. It was the perfect meal for a cold night, and the easy prep made it all the better. I’m a vegan but your recipes are the only ones my meat-eating partner will not only eat but also loves, so thank you!

109 Rosalind November 25, 2015

Nice photos! Love it so much.

110 Carissa November 27, 2015

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try , grocery store here I come!

111 Honey Dee November 30, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Love your recipe’s.. Almost your all recipes i have tried.

112 Tiffany December 4, 2015

Hi Angela,

Wow, this recipe is incredible! I definitely suggest doubling or tripling the recipe because it is so tasty. Thank you! I can’t wait to make it again soon!

113 Sarah December 13, 2015

Wow. Made this for lunch – so good!! Especially liked the avocado-lime sauce

114 Kayla December 14, 2015
Recipe Rating:

My husband hasn’t gotten me a Christmas gift yet so I oh-so-subtly hinted at the Oh She Glows cookbook….I can’t wait!! I’m about to make this burrito bowl for lunch. :)

115 Emy December 15, 2015

What a great idea to mix all that goodness with the black beans! I love mixing black beans and corn (given they’re complementary proteins) and rice! Almost like a homemade Chipotle bowl. Looks super tasty, especially the avocado sauce!

116 dorothy December 20, 2015

do you ever give nutritional info for those watching/counting carbohydrates.
This has a lot of high fiber so I imagine the glycemic index is relatively low
I plant to try this recipe but cook the beans from scratch

117 Desiree January 10, 2016

I’d like to know the calorie count myself

118 Merlene December 28, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Thank you for sharing, it’s delicious!!!

119 Rachel January 3, 2016

Any suggestions for black bean substitutions? I have an allergy to black, kidney and lima beans.

120 Bronte January 7, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I love this recipie! instead of chili powder though I put in one chipotle pepper for extra smoke. I also added coriander and cumin to the beans for extra flavor.

121 kati January 8, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This was a great recipe, thank you for sharing. I added organic canned corn to the mix, just to give it some more veggie.

I think in the future I would half the garlic i put into the avocado sauce, and I may not use tomato paste next time. I thought it was too tomato-y.

Trying the avocado past a tonight!

122 Desiree January 10, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Oh my goodness!!!! I just made the DIY Burrito Bowl and as I’m sitting here eating it I can’t believe I actually made it!!! It taste like something that came out of a restaurant! I’m so impressed and I absolutely love all the recipes on here!!! You go girlfriend!!!

123 Cindy January 22, 2016

I’ve made this a few times and its SO good. I usually add more spice (I like things very well seasoned) and add a can of green chilies (or since fresh store bought tomatoes are gross this time of year, I do a can of tomatoes with chilies). Oh and some frozen corn niblets too, right at the end. I CANNOT wait until sweet corn is ready next summer so I can make it with fresh tomatoes, fresh peppers and fresh corn. OMG, drooling. Its great with the vegan sour cream (from the chili page), too. YUM.

124 Remi January 25, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this last night and it was delicious! I added cubed tofu right after sauteing the onions for extra protein (Wildwood is the best brand, it’s firm and you don’t need to press the water out like most tofu which saves time). I didn’t have a ripe avocado so instead I used fresh salsa from the farmers market. Turned out delish! Definitely a keeper.

125 Hypnosis Adelaide February 5, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I have to say that Tex-Mex has to be my favourite. Thank you so much for the recipe. Vegan Mexican food is the best!!! :)

126 Monroe February 10, 2016

This looks so delicious and I’m excited to try it! However.. I’m one of those people who thinks cilantro tastes like soap! I’ve tried and tried again to get into it but just can’t seem to get the taste for it. Is there another spice you could recommend for a substitute? <3

127 Anna February 14, 2016
Recipe Rating:

My boyfriend made this for me this morning – so tasty! Could become a Sunday morning favourite. Thanks for the recipe :)

128 vanessa February 15, 2016
Recipe Rating:

this was soooo good! Even my 11 yr old who is picky said it was the best burrito bowl he has tried.

129 Pamela Morgan February 16, 2016
Recipe Rating:

What an awesome recipe and pictures. Followed this recipe step by step and had a wonderful dinner bowl with my husband. Thank you for the recipe. Check out my blog and recipes here http://www.flirtingwithflavors.com/blog/

130 Anna February 17, 2016

Hi Angela,

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe with us. I used the Avocado Lime Sauce and Spicy Black Bean components in my recipe on the blog this week ‘Mexiquinoa Bowls’. http://www.foodprepsundays.com/new-recipes/mexican-quinoa-bowls/

I love your blog/space. Keep the recipes coming!

Anna
x

131 Katie February 20, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Delicious! I made this for lunches this week – easy to make, pretty cheap and perfect for summer. YUM.

132 Angela Liddon February 22, 2016

Hi Katie, I’m happy to hear you enjoyed it! :)

133 Angel March 4, 2016

Have you ever considered using avocado oil instead of coconut oil? It’s super good for you and it tastes AMAZING! It’s great for cooking but also amazing in dressings as it doesn’t have the bitterness of olive oil. I get mine at Costco.

134 Charlotte March 16, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Yum! I’d love to try this on a sweet potato… Sweet potato burritos are the best!

135 Angela Liddon March 17, 2016

Yum! Sounds delish, Charlotte. :)

136 Angela March 22, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Made this today and it was delicious! The whole family loved it! Thank you!

137 Fiona March 26, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Great recipe! Made more than once. I use brown rice.

138 Kristen March 28, 2016

The burrito bowl has become a favorite for my husband and I! We have made this for dinner numerous times since I found it! Thank you for all of your amazing recipes!

139 Brenna April 2, 2016

I made this last week and it was a huge success – including with two picky preschoolers! I will definitely be making this again. Thank you!

140 ginger April 3, 2016

I’m 71 and have been a vegetarian most of my life. Your recipes are incredible. I made this recipe, following it to the letter, and it was so delicious. Thanks so much!

141 Angela Liddon April 4, 2016

Hi Ginger, I’m so happy to hear the burrito bowl was a hit! Thanks so much for the sweet comment.

142 Sarah April 12, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Loved this meal! So did my whole family, including two picky toddlers – a keeper for sure!

143 Angela Liddon April 13, 2016

I’m so happy to hear it was a hit with everyone, Sarah!

144 Sarah April 12, 2016

Any recommendations for adding veggies to this dish?

145 yannick April 26, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Angela, you are awesome. We made this bowl last week and are doing it again this week. I couldn’t believe how fast i put it together and was done in 20 minutes!
We loved it! EVEN THE KIDS!
Thanks for a great, hearty, delicious recipe once again!

146 Ella April 30, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made these burrito bowls and they were soooo good. My eyes are really sensitive to onions so I was tearing up the whole time from the onions. But this recipe was really pushed up with the avocado lime sauce. mmmmm…… so DELICIOUS!

147 Isabelle Peterson May 1, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Love this recipe!!! Family Favorite.
Small Changes: We use 1 can of FireRoasted Tomatoes (time saver and adds a hint of flavor) & 1 cup of Frozen Roasted Corn (from Trader Joe’s) and stretches the recipe to feed all 4 of us.
And sometimes we actually roll it into an actual Burrito Wrap. DELISH!!!

148 Angela Liddon May 3, 2016

Thanks for the great suggestions, Isabelle! I’m so happy you and your fam have been enjoying the recipe.

149 Searcy May 15, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Tried your DIY Burrito bowl for dinner tonight. Wow! My husband and I loved it. We will be making it again.

150 Angela Liddon May 19, 2016

I’m so glad it was a hit, Searcy!

151 Kate May 23, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Amazing! So simple and incredibly delicious. I added vegan garlic mayo and Vegusto vegan cheese for extra joy.
My burrito bowl turned out extremely spicy – I think I had some especially vicious chili powder and cayenne – so next time I will tone down the spices a little, but otherwise this was great. Thanks so much!

152 Emma May 24, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This recipe is just what I was looking for; something meat free, delicious, and easy to freeze so I could take to work. I usually don’t like plain beans, but this fresh bean mixture is perfect. I made this last night and tripled it. It fed three adults, I freezed 4 one cup portions, and had a cup and a half for lunch today! Definitely my new favorite recipe. If it comes out too spicy, add extra avacodo sauce. :-)

153 kesondra June 8, 2016

This is delicious! Fantastic, yet again. Thank you :3
I h

154 Kesondra June 8, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This is delicious! thank you!
I have a ridiculous amount of pimentos in my fridge so I added it to the avocado sauce, freaking awesome. Keep it up!

155 Denisa June 14, 2016

Burrito Bowl ?! OMG genial, im going to try it out this weekend. Love our recipes Angela

156 Angela Liddon June 14, 2016

Hi Denisa, I hope you love it!

157 Michelle MacKenzie June 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

OMG i made this tonight and it was super delicious. My boyfriend went back for seconds and thirds…darn, he took my lunch. Yummy!!!

158 Angela Liddon June 30, 2016

Hahaha, I’m sorry your lunch got snagged, Michelle! But I’m glad the Burrito Bowl was a hit. :)

159 Elizabeth Shaw July 1, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This was to die for! I made it on a lazy night when all I wanted to do was lay on the couch. I made it spur of the moment and ended up having all the ingredients! The recipe was so simple and all my coworkers were jealous when I brought the leftovers to work the next day!

160 Angela Liddon July 4, 2016

Haha! Gotta love leftover envy! ;)

161 Kathryn July 25, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Tried this tonight and it was SO good! I added chopped romaine lettuce and it gave it some nice color and great crunch. I think I might add a bit of corn next time. But the flavor of the beans was awesome.

162 Angela Liddon July 26, 2016

I think corn would be a great addition, Kathryn!

163 Clara August 6, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Just made this today. It’s delicious, cheap, and comes together quickly. I did not have fresh tomatoes so I used canned diced tomatoes (drained), and used homemade pinto beans instead of black beans. It will be a regular at our home.

164 Harper August 15, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Made this for a potluck. I always like trying out new recipes for a crowd, plus ensure that I will have something to eat (since I’m a vegetarian with food restrictions I don’t rely on others for food). Let’s just say we were all happy… And full! Only thing I can’t figure out is why it took me so long to make – 1-1/2 hours! Anyone have any tips for speedier cilantro washing?

165 Angela Liddon August 22, 2016

So glad it was a hit, Harper! Regarding the cilantro, I tend to rinse herbs quickly and I’m not really picky about getting every little speck off them. For cilantro I eyeball how much I think I’ll need (measuring only if necessary), and rip the leafy top part off of the thicker stems. Then I quickly rinse the leaves under the tap, shake off excess water, and give it a pat with an absorbent towel. It’s okay if it’s not bone dry. Then I throw it onto my cutting board and chop it with my favourite chef’s knife. The entire process only takes a minute; I’m all about saving time in the kitchen! :)