Cherry-Strawberry Chia Seed Fool with Vanilla Bean Coconut Whipped Cream

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 30, 2015

cherrystrawberrychiaseedfool-9660

My sister and family are here visiting this week and they brought us about 10 pounds of freshly picked cherries from my brother-in-law’s parent’s house (they have about 7 cherry trees…jealous!). It was like Christmas morning when this loot arrived. I’m eating these beauties by the fist full. Adriana is going wild over them. It’s a good, ahem berry good, week. We pitted and froze a bunch to make 1-ingredient cherry sorbet in the Vitamix (my nephews loved it) and I’m dreaming up other ways to use them before they go bad!

cherrystrawberrychiaseedfool-9597

cherrystrawberrychiaseedfool-9608

This gorgeous Cherry-Strawberry Chia Seed Fool is a festive dessert I came up with for Canada Day tomorrow. I actually thought of it in the middle of the night last night and by some stroke of luck I remembered the idea this morning. In lieu of heavy dairy cream, I used full-fat coconut cream and whipped it with a touch of cane sugar and vanilla bean powder. So incredibly simple and delicious. For the berry part, I made a cherry-strawberry chia seed jam with maple syrup (does it get anymore Canadian?), vanilla bean, fresh lemon juice, and a secret ingredient – a teaspoon of finely grated beet for a bolder red color (but that’s totally optional). It turned out so lovely layered in parfait glasses. Many traditional fool recipes that I came across fold the berries into the cream until it’s pretty uniform in color, but I prefer the layered look so I did it my way. Then you can swirl it all together as you eat it. Total bliss! I also added some toasted sliced almonds and flaked coconut on top for some crunch. A little lemon zest would be nice too.

strawberrycherrychiaseedfoolvegan

cherrystrawberrychiaseedfool-9659

4.9 from 16 reviews

Cherry-Strawberry Chia Seed Fool

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, oil-free, soy-free

By

A vegan twist on the classic berry fool! I used whipped vanilla bean coconut cream and paired it with a delightful cherry-strawberry chia seed jam with lemon and vanilla. This dish requires some advance preparation so be sure to put the cans of coconut milk in the fridge the day before so the coconut cream can solidify. The jam also requires cooling, so you'll need at least 2 hours to chill it in the fridge before layering the dessert.

Yield
6 parfaits
Prep time
Cook time
Chill time
overnight + 3 hours

Ingredients:

For the Coconut Whipped Cream
  • 2 (15-oz) cans full-fat coconut milk, chilled overnight
  • 2 tablespoons natural cane sugar, or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla bean powder or 1 vanilla bean, seeded
For the Cherry Strawberry Chia Seed Jam (makes 2 1/3 cups)
  • 2 heaping cups fresh or frozen strawberries (hulled if using fresh)
  • 3 cups fresh or frozen sweet cherries (pitted if using fresh)
  • 3-4 tablespoons pure maple syrup, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • pinch fine sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla bean powder
  • 1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon peeled and finely grated red beet (I use a microplane lemon zester), adds bolder red hue
Optional garnishes:
  • Toasted sliced almonds
  • Coconut Flakes
  • Lemon Zest
  • Fresh cherries

Directions:

1. Chill the cans of coconut milk in the fridge for 12-24 hours so the coconut cream can solidify before use.
  2. For the chia seed jam: Add the berries and maple syrup into a medium saucepan. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium, and simmer until the berries release their juices and soften, about 10 minutes. After the berries release water you can increase the heat even more to cook off the water. Watch closely and stir frequently. When the berries look a bit soft, stir in the chia seeds. Keep cooking over medium heat until the chia thickens the mixture slightly, about 5-10 more minutes.  Reduce heat if necessary to avoid burning. Remove from heat and stir in the salt, vanilla, lemon, and optional grated beet. Pour into a glass container and let it cool on the counter for at least 30 minutes before covering and chilling in the fridge for at least 2 hours, preferably longer.
  3. Chill a medium bowl in the freezer (this helps the coconut cream stay thick while whipping).
  4. Open the chilled cans of coconut milk and carefully scoop off the white coconut cream from each can and place it into a medium bowl. You should have 1.5-2 cups worth of cream. You can reserve the leftover coconut water for another use, such as a smoothie or you can freeze it into coconut water ice cubes (also great in smoothies).
  5. With electric mixers or a whisk, beat the cream and the cane sugar in the chilled bowl until smooth. Whisk in the vanilla.
  6. Layer the coconut cream and the chia jam in parfait glasses. Top with optional toasted sliced almonds, flaked coconut, lemon zest, and a cherry on top! Enjoy immediately or cover and transfer to the fridge until ready to serve. The chia seed jam will keep for up to a week in the fridge in an air-tight container, and I expect the coconut whipped cream will keep for at least 5 days.

Nutrition Information

Tips:

Tip: If for some reason your chia seed jam didn't thicken enough after chilling (this might be the case if the water wasn't cooked off enough), stir in another tablespoon of chia seeds and chill it for another hour. That should do the trick!

cherrystrawberrychiaseedfool-9674

I’m keeping this short and sweet today because I have a big cookbook deadline looming. Thank you so much for your patience with my infrequent blog posts lately. I am dying to get back into it!

Wishing my fellow Canadians a very happy Canada Day tomorrow. Also, happy 4th of July to our friends south of the border. (By the way, you can easily turn this into a red, white, and blue dessert by adding blueberries.) I hope you have a fun and safe week filled with all the goodness summer has to offer!

Beth June 30, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Oh, this looks heavenly!!!

Laura ~ Raise Your Garden June 30, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Agreed! How nice your sister brought you some fresh cherries! I always think there are 2 perfect gifts in life 1.) Fresh fruit in any form 2.) The gift of time…what I gave dad this Father’s day. Anyhow, we’re gearing up for the 4th of July and I’m on the lookout for that Red, White and Blue dessert. I’m tempted to throw blueberries on top to make it patriotic. Once again, you make vegan food look so easy, I love how this can be whipped up in 20 minutes. I’m putting coconut on mine and almonds on my husbands, he won’t touch coconut, I find this to be a common problem with men in general!!! Thanks for another great recipe =)

Erin @ Erin's Inside Job June 30, 2015 at 2:48 pm

This looks so good! Im hungry for an afternoon snack and would definitely like this right about now. Hope you have a good Canada Day tomorrow!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 30, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Thanks Erin!

Megan at Lush to Blush June 30, 2015 at 2:54 pm

This sounds absolutely delish and the presentation is beautiful! Definitely a must-try.

xo Megan, Lush to Blush

Alina June 30, 2015 at 3:01 pm

This recipe looks amazing! I bet it tastes amazing too. My son is gluten and dairy sensitive, so this would be a great dessert to make for him and for the rest of my family. We love everything that has chia.Thank you, Angela!

Lane | Modern Granola June 30, 2015 at 3:09 pm
Recipe Rating:

Yum! This looks amazing! I know you are eating it to celebrate Canada Day, but it also totally goes with the Wimbledon theme of strawberries and cream! (Finals are approaching!) Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Happy Summer!
xx Lane

Jessica @ TwoGreenPeas June 30, 2015 at 3:11 pm

This looks SO good!! I’m always too lazy to make cherry recipes because of having to remove the pits, but I think I will need to make an exception for this. Happy Canada Day (one day early)!

Ali @ Whisk and Repeat June 30, 2015 at 3:13 pm

I am so excited about this recipe! I can’t wait to try it, hopefully this weekend. :)

Danielle June 30, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan June 30, 2015 at 3:19 pm

All those vanilla bean specks in that coconut whipped cream and just calling to me! I can’t get enough of the cherries right now and this seems like a perfectly pretty way to use them up :)

Cassie June 30, 2015 at 3:49 pm

This looks absolutely amazing!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! June 30, 2015 at 3:58 pm

I just realized I’ve missed your lasy few posts! They aren’y coming through on bloglovin’ for me for some reason! Well just more to catch up on LOL! I am glad you’re still blogging…I missed your recipes and writing!

Alexa [fooduzzi.com] June 30, 2015 at 4:00 pm

What a great recipe! I will definitely try this this summer!
Good luck with your book deadline! I am eagerly awaiting new recipes from my favorite blogger :)

Cassie June 30, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Looks delicious!

Sarah June 30, 2015 at 4:27 pm

This is totally happening. Happy Canada Day! :)

Laura June 30, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Low fuss desserts like this are my forever fave. I prefer a little layering action in my fools too–yours are so pretty! Happy Canada Day to you + sending good vibes as you get closer to your deadline, too :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar June 30, 2015 at 5:26 pm

This flavour is so fabulous. Love, love, love this jam!!

Brynn June 30, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Oh my word, where do you dream up these creations?! I cannot wait to make this!!

June @ How to Philosophize with Cake June 30, 2015 at 6:37 pm

That looks awesome! I’ve heard of fool before, but this chia seed version sounds even better!

arnella kajtezovic June 30, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Au this looks so darn delicious!!

KARRI June 30, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Angela

Where do you purchase your vanilla bean powder?

Danielle June 30, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Coconut whipped cream sounds so light and happy and tropical. :) It seems like it would also go well with chocolate.

Adina July 1, 2015 at 1:40 am

This looks great! I pinned it while waiting for the cherries in my cherry tree to ripen. They are still green.

Chloe July 1, 2015 at 1:58 am

Just stunning! x x

Dorcas Nduati July 1, 2015 at 2:27 am

That is another way of using chia seeds. There are used in cereals too. Seems sweeter with your recipe.

Elle July 1, 2015 at 5:54 am

All of your recipes look so marvellous I go crazy just looking at these! Cannot wait to try some! Thank you for your wonderful blog, it’s such a joy to read it and you are very inspiring! :) Wish you have a good summer!

[email protected] July 1, 2015 at 6:14 am

Yum! How completely delish is this!

Jacqui July 1, 2015 at 6:32 am

Absolutely beautiful! I think I just drooled….

Jacqui July 1, 2015 at 6:32 am

Absolutely beautiful! I think I just drooled….

Lisa C July 1, 2015 at 6:54 am

Thank you! It’s cherry season here and this is yet another way to use the luscious 40 pounds of we picked this weekend!

Sarah | Well and Full July 1, 2015 at 8:18 am

My favorite photo is the last one – all the coconut whipped cream and strawberry jam swirled together! It looks AMAZING! :)

Jill @ Champagne for Everyday July 1, 2015 at 8:55 am

I’ve only just recently learned about chia jam (slow to the chia bandwagon) and it’s amazing!! I’ve also been wanting to try the coconut whip, so this recipe couldn’t be timed better (or be more color appropriate for the 4th!). :)

Jill
McBride Sisters Interview: On Wine, Following Your Dreams, and Being an Oprah Favorite!

Cassie Tran July 1, 2015 at 8:56 am

The chia seeds and cherries and strawberries sound so good together!

Beth July 1, 2015 at 9:34 am

This looks and sounds delicious. I am definitely going to give this a go. It is the perfect summer desert.

Beth x
www.hellobeth.co.uk

Barbara July 1, 2015 at 9:43 am

This looks divine! Thanks for the reminder that I can eat a plant based diet that is also gluten, soy, and dairy free that remains delicious!

Alex @ True Femme July 1, 2015 at 10:27 am

This looks so sweet and refreshing!

Aubrey July 1, 2015 at 10:45 am

YUMM! This is so happening:)

Heather Mason @Nutty Nutrition July 1, 2015 at 11:32 am

This looks so yummy! I have never heard of a “fool” as a dessert before. I had to look it up.Going to try it for the 4th!

Lauren July 1, 2015 at 11:54 am

Mmm this looks so yummy, I’m definitely hungry now haha! x

www.wonkylauren.com

Julia July 1, 2015 at 12:13 pm

This looks AMAZING, Can’t wait to try it! I think even my Paleo-eating bf will enjoy it :)

Ella July 1, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Recipe Rating:

OMG! This was amazing! Perfect timing too. My next door neighbor brought me a huge bucket of cherries from her tree because it was bursting with fruit. The flavors are just amazing and on top of it super easy to make. Happy Canada day from Germany!

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork July 1, 2015 at 2:10 pm

That looks insanely delicious and nutritious! Thanks for sharing!

Max (blue earth grrl) July 1, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Oh man, I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen cherries! Fresh ones even less so, fingers crossed the frozen foods isle will yield a bag. If I eat this and really crank the woodburner, it’ll be just like summer, right?

Pure Ella July 1, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Oh yum!!
This looks so delicious!!!
Happy Canada Day Angela :)
xoxo

Karissa @ Vegan A La Mode July 1, 2015 at 4:15 pm

What a gorgeous dessert! Happy Canada day to you! I have a bunch of cherries in the fridge so this recipe came just in time! I’ve been looking for ways to use them up and this looks perfect!

Annaliese July 1, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Wow! What a fabulous idea!! I also scored today, and found some amazing organic cherries at my co-op’s discount produce bin. What a steal! This may be what I make with some of them!! Yum!!

Nikki July 1, 2015 at 8:15 pm

This looks like the perfect Canada Day treat! Might have to just make some today! Thanks for sharing :) Happy Canada Day!

-Nikki
www.nikkisplate.com

Celeste @The Whole Serving July 1, 2015 at 9:59 pm

I am loving the cherries, I’m trying to eat as many as I can. I;m also buying enough to freeze and have once cherry season is over. This is a must make recipe.
Thanks for the awesome recipe.

Kelly July 2, 2015 at 6:39 am

This looks soooo good!

Ella Magers July 2, 2015 at 8:11 am

This looks like heaven in a glass!!!

Heidi kokborg July 2, 2015 at 8:48 am

Wow! This looks amazing! It’s the perfect dessert for summer!

Luna July 2, 2015 at 11:36 am

That looks absolutely amazing… yummy!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 2, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Happy (belated) Canada Day to you too, Ange! This is crazy but every Canada day I always think about the hike we went on that one year… which is now several years ago!! This recipe looks and sounds fabulous and I can’t wait to find some cherries at the market (possibly this weekend!) so I can make it. Something’s telling me I should invest in a cherry pitter too!

Elisa July 3, 2015 at 6:29 am

I can totally imagine that your little girl loves the cherries, my nephew does so too. We’re very lucky that my parents have a huge tree full of fresh dark red cherries in their back yard. We’re eating them till our bellies hurt and our fingers are red from the juice :D

Danielle July 3, 2015 at 11:25 am

This looks amazing and I definitely need to try it!! Hope you had a great Canada Day!!

Danielle

Christy July 3, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Slightly off topic: Would you pleeeeease pretty please include nutrition facts in your new book, like in the back of the book? I LOVE everything you make (and everything I make of yours!), and I love when you include them with your recipes! Thanks!

Denise July 4, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Recipe Rating:

I just made this with some minor modifications because I didn’t have vanilla bean or powder, but it was delicious! Coconut milk for whipped cream for the rest of my life! I’m wondering if it’s possible to get the nutrition breakdown of this dish?

Elise Holland July 5, 2015 at 7:33 pm

This is absolutely beautiful and looks delicious! I can’t wait to try the recipe :)
Elise – www.AmbitiouslyHealthy.com

Vanessa July 6, 2015 at 1:09 am
Recipe Rating:

That jam looks incredible :O..Never came up with the idea to use chia-seeds to prepare a jam, but I am totally tempted to try it since I make normal chia-pudding all the time. Thanks for the inspiration :)

thesimplepeach July 6, 2015 at 1:27 pm

YUM! These look delish Angela!

Marrishka July 6, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Wow, that looks so good! I absolutely love cherries. I can’t wait to try this.

Michele @ Two Raspberries July 6, 2015 at 3:34 pm

this looks amazing! I love the you added chia seeds in here so much nutrition! and the cherry strawberry combo sounds delicious! ;-)

Laura July 6, 2015 at 7:15 pm
Recipe Rating:

This is a delicious combination of flavors. I made it a few days ago for a treat when my husband and I visited a friend for the 4th of July. We had the jam and coconut whipped cream on top of homemade oat waffles for breakfast and we all agreed that it was superb!

The ness life July 7, 2015 at 3:56 pm

oh my goodness! This looks the most delicious and mouth watering desert, i really cant wait to make it myself. Thank you so much for sharing
www.thenesslife.com

Liz July 9, 2015 at 6:07 am

Look so yummy, can’t wait to try it after going strawberry picking on the weekend.

Theresa July 9, 2015 at 10:36 am

Angela, this looks so good! I will absolutely try this. I love your recipe creations.

Amanda July 9, 2015 at 7:59 pm

This looks super yummy!

Kezia @ Super Naturally Healthy July 10, 2015 at 3:40 am

Oh thanks for the jam idea – planning an afternoon tea and wanted an easy jam without all the junk and that looks perfect!

Erena DiGonis July 10, 2015 at 3:23 pm

That picture completely grabbed my attention – it looks so delicious!

repugnant July 12, 2015 at 2:47 am
Recipe Rating:

Great blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?

I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little
lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for
a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m completely confused ..

Any tips? Thanks!

Linda July 12, 2015 at 8:50 pm
Recipe Rating:

The jam is absolutely delicious. Followed the recipe exactly, and it tasted amazing even before it was cold. I plan to stir it into my overnight oats.

kosher recipes July 13, 2015 at 3:22 am
Recipe Rating:

thank you for the recipes! it looks good and i’m trying this soon

Bianca July 13, 2015 at 5:38 am

Wow the whipped cream looks so yummy! I made whipped cream aquafaba style (you can see it on my website http://www.thegreencreator.com/aquafaba-vegan-whipped-cream/) and I wonder if that would work as well…

Pamela July 13, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Cannot wait to try this asap. I’ve just added cherries and coconut flakes to my weekly shopping list. Eek excited. Thanks for the great post!

Kristen July 13, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Hi Angela, can you can this jam? If so, do you just pour into sterilized jars like regular jam? Or do you heat process the jam once in the jars?
Or can you freeze it like “freezer jam”? Thanks!

Ashleigh Noble July 14, 2015 at 1:43 am

I am obsessed with your blog. Cannot go a day without reading it.
Thank you for sharing! This looks so yummy.

Ashleigh

Farha - faskitchen July 14, 2015 at 3:21 am

Ahhh.. Kill me now.. oh why cant i make anything like these.. looks absolutely amazing..

pomonna July 16, 2015 at 7:09 am

This looks amazing, especially that cherries are in the season now!

Gabriella July 16, 2015 at 7:56 pm

What a fabulous and divine recipe! I am so happy you have shared this!

Sam ~ it doesn't taste like chicken July 16, 2015 at 8:10 pm
Recipe Rating:

Angela, this looks divine! I want to have breakfast at your house some time! ;)

Aneliese July 17, 2015 at 11:08 am

Hi Angela, I’m just wondering if you’re raising Adriana non-vegan if you yourself will no longer be completely vegan as well, since you will be cooking and most likely taste-testing the food you make for her?

Jessica Lane @ Styled Nutrition July 17, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Love chia seed jam – it is so easy! First tried your apple version. Great idea to use cherries!

Michaell | Foodscape July 18, 2015 at 8:09 pm

You’ve done it again! Can your sister bring her loot to my house? I love cherries! And what a beautiful presentation. Though I have to admit, I think I’d like to put something underneath the jam and cream. Whole cherries perhaps? Granola? Maybe some shortcake? What do you think would be good?

shay @ teen eats plants July 18, 2015 at 11:35 pm

this looks so delicious! cherries are probably the best summer fruit.

May July 20, 2015 at 4:02 am

It looks so nice and you’ve put so much work into it. I can’t wait to see what you come up with next

Karen July 20, 2015 at 10:54 am

Hi Angela,

Off topic, but the version of your gazpacho that you posted on Instagram is driving me wild with desire. I found your original recipe on your blog, but given that you’ve made so many modifications that would seem to alter the outcome, I’d be thrilled if you posted – or provided me personally – the exact recipe that you used to make the mouthwatering adaption taunting me from your Instagram photos.

Many thanks!

Jamie Logie July 21, 2015 at 12:00 pm
Recipe Rating:

Whoa, this one is life changing. Honestly anything with chia seeds and vanilla bean in my book is awesome. Thank you for this
-Jamie

Mary @ Fit and Fed July 21, 2015 at 6:45 pm

It has certainly come around again to be the perfect time of year for this! I have not yet tried making coconut ‘whipped cream’ and am looking forward to trying that trick!

Adam Trainor July 26, 2015 at 11:36 am
Recipe Rating:

Oh wow!!! this dessert looks delicious. I wouldn’t feel guilty for eating these, but then again whipped cream isn’t great when having loads. Do they cherries eventually melt down in the pan?

Manon July 28, 2015 at 8:53 am

Thats looks soooooo yummy.
I’m going to make this asap!

Herbal medicated oils July 30, 2015 at 6:10 am

Fabulous recipe. Looking yummy.

Kim August 7, 2015 at 11:50 pm
Recipe Rating:

This is really yummy! I made it with organic frozen mixed berries and cherries. It was super simple to make.

EDWINA November 1, 2015 at 3:45 pm

I have fructose malabsorption and cherries are not good for me :(
What other berries could I replace the cherries with?

Julie Rocheleau November 6, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Hello,

I love your recipes… I have a challenge for you… Vegan butter tarts… I’ve been playing with earth balance, chia and golden lakanto… Can’t seem to get it quite right… I’ve nailed the crust…

I hope you can figure this one out!!

Danielle January 11, 2016 at 5:25 am

heey =) i always have a hard time whipping coconut cream, even when chilled over night.. what brand do you use or any tips? thanks

Hypnosis Adelaide March 13, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Recipe Rating:

That is a really simple three ingredient Coconut Whipped Cream! Love it! Thanks for the recipe :)

Kathleen August 6, 2016 at 9:38 am
Recipe Rating:

This has become a favorite for my husband and me. I replace the sweeteners with stevia to meet my dietary requirements. I recently took this to a Whole Foods Plant Based breakfast and everyone loved it and requested the recipe. I linked them all to your site. I have served it to company and offered it over ice cream for non vegans and still served the coconut cream. I have found that all full fat coconut milk is not the same for whipping. Some brands seem too watery. I have found a brand that has very thick cream at the top of the can which makes it easy to scoop out to whip. Thank you for your recipes. I do have your cookbook and my husband and I are another older couple who have changed to a vegan diet for health reasons and have found great support in learning delicious recipes to use.

Angela Liddon August 8, 2016 at 6:33 pm

I’m so happy you’ve found my blog and recipes helpful in making your dietary transition, Kathleen. All the best to you and your husband!

Kathleen August 6, 2016 at 9:48 am
Recipe Rating:

P.S. To the above comment. At the breakfast, we served the jam and coconut cream over our vegan pancakes. SO delicious! I came home and made the same for our breakfast the next morning. Yum!

Sabina August 6, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Hi! I love your recipes. This one looks so yummy! However, I have just heard that coconut milk (in a can) is bad for the arteries. The same is true for coconut oil. They contain a lot of saturated fat. The flakes or the fresh coconut are ok. I wish you all the best,
Sandra
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sjhF_HlFxs

Cristin Nariki May 24, 2018 at 8:07 am
Recipe Rating:

Wow look so yummy , thanks for sharing.
I will try your recipes