Super Thick Coconut Yogurt (the shortcut method!)

coconutyogurtreciperaw-8749

Hi, my name is Angela and I’m in love with coconut meat. I also like shortcuts, so discovering frozen bags of coconut meat made me a bit giddy…

coconutmeat

When I first tried coconut meat I wasn’t sure if I liked it, but it totally grew on me. It’s lightly sweet, super filling (it packs 8g fibre per 1/2 cup!), and has this irresistible silky, smooth texture. I love just eating it on its own as well as making it into this shortcut “yogurt”. Adriana on the other hand…well let’s just say when I let her try some of the yogurt (a version with just coconut and water), she made a dramatic gagging face while sticking her tongue out. I guess it’s not for everyone. haha! Maybe she’ll come around.

These bags of frozen coconut meat are more expensive than buying the young Thai coconuts and retrieving the meat yourself, so it’s something I splurge on once in a blue moon when I’m craving a fuss-free homemade coconut yogurt. But it can be whirled up in seconds! And no risk of hacking my hand off with a cleaver (I’m working on my cleaver skills…still not quite there yet). This shortcut recipe isn’t a true yogurt because it’s not fermented, but that’s partly why I love it so much. No wait time, no fuss. I empty a couple probiotic capsules in the yogurt, but you can totally leave the probiotics out if you wish. We’ll call this a “cheater’s” yogurt. A gotta-have-it-now yogurt. For those of you in the GTA, I find these frozen bags of coconut meat at Organic Garage..I think Whole Foods carries it too. If you want to do it the old-fashioned way, you can do that too of course! I link to a Youtube tutorial in the recipe below.

homemadecoconutyogurt

Hello dreamboat! As I mentioned, this version is super thick! It has a similar consistency to Greek yogurt. You can make it however thick or thin you wish just by adjusting the liquid amount. I find 1/2 cup of coconut water and 2 cups of coconut meat = a lovely thick yogurt…no straining required. Likewise, you can make it as sweet or tart as you want by adjusting the sweetener. I don’t like super sweet yogurt so I only add a tablespoon of sweetener into the blender. If I don’t want the yogurt to change colour, I use cane sugar (such as in these photos), but I also like to use maple syrup or raw coconut nectar too (which will dim the bright white yogurt a bit). You can also get creative and try making different flavours by adding fruit, chia jam, etc. I think I might try a coconut-mango-lime version next!

coconutyogurtreciperaw-8774

I made parfaits with strawberry-raspberry chia seed jam paired with a granola that I’m testing for my next cookbook (in the meantime, check out my Lightened Up Summer granola and the granola clusters in the Oh She Glows Cookbook). This yogurt is also awesome in vegan overnight oats, smoothies, and I hear you can make raw ice cream with it too.

Here is my batch of strawberry-raspberry-vanilla chia seed jam below. As a general rule of thumb for making chia seed jam, I use about 300-450 grams of fruit, 3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup (adjust depending on tartness of fruit), 2 tablespoons of chia seeds, and a pinch of pink salt. You can flavour it with vanilla, lemon, orange, etc. For how to make it, see this post.

chiaseedjam

coconutyogurtreciperaw-8739

Super Thick Coconut "Yogurt"

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, nut-free, oil-free, soy-free

By

4.9 from 11 reviews

This shortcut coconut yogurt is as simple and fresh as it gets! I occasionally buy coconut yogurt from the grocery store, but when I want something that is super fresh and without any added ingredients I will make this version for a fun treat. Granted, it's not a true yogurt since there's no fermentation, but I love how quick this version is. I often take the shortcut by purchasing frozen coconut meat (found in the freezer section of some health food grocers, like Organic Garage or Whole Foods) rather than buying young coconuts. Once the meat is thawed it just takes a minute of blending to create a yogurt with a texture similar to Greek yogurt. If you are well-versed with young coconuts and a cleaver, feel free to scoop out the flesh the old-fashioned way too! See this video for a tutorial. I recommend making this recipe in advance so it has time to chill in the fridge. Thanks to Gena from Choosing Raw for the recipe inspiration!

Yield
2 cups
Prep Time
Cook time
0 Minutes
Total Time

Ingredients:

• 2 cups fresh young Thai coconut meat (or thawed Young Thai Coconut Meat, see headnote)
  • 1/2 cup (125 mL) coconut water (or use filtered water in a pinch)
  • 1 tablespoon (15 mL)  fresh lemon juice (reduce for a less tart flavour)
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon probiotic powder, optional (you can empty probiotic capsules, if desired)
  • Pinch of pink salt or fine grain sea salt
  • Sweetener, to taste (I use 1 tablespoon natural cane sugar)

Directions:

1. Add all ingredients into a high speed blender and blend on low, gradually increasing the speed to high, until super smooth. Keep blending until it’s not grainy anymore. Adjust sweetness to taste by adding sweetener if desired and blending again. I add a tablespoon of cane sugar and blend on high to pulverize it in my Vitamix.
  2. Spoon the yogurt into an air-tight container and chill in the fridge for at least a couple hours.
  3. Serve with granola and chia seed jam, parfait-style, if desired. Or simply enjoy alone or with fresh fruit. This yogurt is also great mixed into vegan overnight oats or added to smoothies! I’m not positive on the shelf life because we usually enjoy it within a couple days, but I imagine it lasts at least a few days in the fridge in an air-tight container.

coconutyogurtreciperaw-8778

1 upcccam May 20, 2015

i’ll make that soon , its really delicious i think… :D

2 Cassie May 20, 2015

What a fabulous idea! I’m trying a plant-based diet over the summer so I definitely needed this yogurt substitute!

3 Laura ~ Raise Your Garden May 21, 2015

I’m like 80/20 plant based diet too. But I’m heading in that direction. I definitely feel a whole lot better when I eat more plants and not-so-much meat. But coconut meat? My head is spinning. Love the GTA, will have to look around next time I visit. I’m from Buffalo, only about 2.5 hours from GTA but I need to renew my passport. I like the thickness of this yogurt and your idea of sweetening with cane sugar.

4 Erin May 25, 2015

I grew up in Buffalo and go back every summer. Love all the vegan options. Girls, what is GTA?

5 Erin May 25, 2015

Ahhhh. Must be Greater Toronto Area.
Do you do cooking classes?

6 Alison May 20, 2015

This looks wonderful. I would love to see the mango lime version as well. Thank you for your delicious recipes!

7 Jenni May 20, 2015

Looks amazing! What kind of probiotic powder do you use? Thanks!

8 Erica {Erica@EricaDHouse.com} May 20, 2015

Yogurt has been one of the things I’m eating much more of now that I’m pregnant. This looks amazing!

9 Alexa [fooduzzi.com] May 20, 2015

What a delicious idea! Greek yogurt is something that I’ve totally missed since moving towards a plant-based diet. This sounds like a great (and whole food!) alternative! Pinned :)

10 Abbey @ thesonomalife May 20, 2015

This looks amazing! I’m making your blueberry chia jam right now, can’t wait to try it with the yogurt. Thank you!

11 Erin @ Erin's Inside Job May 20, 2015

Everything you post is always amazing and I want to eat it right off the screen. I actually had to get up and make myself some lunch bc I got so hungry looking at it. Thanks for sharing!

12 Alina May 20, 2015

Angela, this looks amazing! I make a similar recipe (my son is dairy and gluten sensitive), but I use pear jam (sometimes mango jam) as a sweetener. Yum!

13 Rachel May 20, 2015

I’ve been making chia seed jam for awhile, but had never heard of this coconut yogurt! What a great recipe. All those layers of color!

I’m vegan and have been going through a lot of the same feelings about that label that you addressed recently in your post, “Food for Thought”. I am familiar with the backlash that can come from both sides. At least I know I’m part of a community that is generally really supportive and kind. You are the shining example.

Thank you, as always, for your delicious recipes (can’t wait to try out your coconut yogurt parfaits) and your positive outlook. I value both more than I can say.

14 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan May 20, 2015

Ohh yes!! I tried coconut yogurt once, but I didn’t like how much sugar it had. Looks like I need to make this homemade version!

15 Millie l Add A Little May 20, 2015

Coconut yoghurt is one of my favourites! This looks amazing!

16 Beth May 20, 2015

This looks and sounds absolutely delicious. I am going to have to try this, as it is perfect for a snack or breakfast.

Beth x

17 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health May 20, 2015

Wow, I can’t get over how easy this is to make! And I love that it has a thick and creamy texture. It looks perfect! Can you recommend a favorite brand of probiotics?

18 Amanda @ Slimplify Life May 20, 2015

This looks unreallllll. Will most definitely be trying this soon, thank you so much!

19 Marissa May 20, 2015

Beautiful! Fresh coconut yogurt is so amazing. Shortcuts are so appreciated at times!

20 Anna May 20, 2015

I wish I liked coconut…it looks amazing!!!

21 Amy @ Happy Healthy RD May 20, 2015

Holy yum! I need to get my hands on some coconut meat. I haven’t seen it in any stores yet but now I’m on a mission to find some!

22 Jay May 20, 2015

Most asian grocery stores carry frozen coconut meat- and I’m guessing it’s a lot cheaper than whole foods.

23 Sarah May 20, 2015

YUM! I’m such a slacker, I always say I will try making my own coconut yogurt but never do. However, this shortcut method I gotta try. Frozen coconut meat is also pure genius…I gotta get me some! Thanks Angela:)

24 Maria May 20, 2015

Neat! I’ve been making my own soy yogurt for years but this looks like a rich and creamy easy alternative. And I just bought some fresh organic strawberries! Mmmmm. Thanks for the idea!

25 Jennifer May 20, 2015

I’m so excited to try this. I’ve been missing yogurt and I don’t do soy. Thank you so much for the recipe!
Blessings!

26 Marieke May 20, 2015

I would love to try this! It looks really delicious. Hopefully I can find the needed ingredients over here (I’m from the Netherlands). Thank you so much for the recipe!

27 Tori Avey May 20, 2015

Thanks for this! Love coconut yogurt. <3

28 Alex @ True Femme May 20, 2015

Ok, this is seriously amazing! I can’t wait to try this! I really don’t have the patience to make my own yogurt but I also don’t like that many store-bought coconut yogurts have a ton of added ingredients. This is the perfect solution and I cannot wait to try this! Time efficient, healthy, and looks delicious–can’t ask for much more!

29 June @ How to Philosophize with Cake May 20, 2015

Wow that looks amazing! I need to try this–homemade vegan yogurt sounds perfect :)

30 Lauren May 20, 2015

This looks seriously delicious. I have never seen frozen coconut meat before, its a great idea for those of us with not so good cleaving skills… Mine are pretty terrible too and being so clumsy it is just not a good idea… I need to start making my own coconut yoghurt too as coyo is so darn expensive!

31 Lilly May 20, 2015

Sounds interesting! May have to give it a try! Lilly xx http://alittlelilly.blogspot.com/

32 Sal @ The Fit Foodie May 20, 2015

Oh I wish strawberries were in season in Australia. Miss them so much!

33 Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen May 21, 2015

I LOVE how easy this is to throw together Angela!!! Yogurt was one of my favorite things to eat before going vegan – I used to eat it directly from the fridge! Very excited to try this recipe and love that gorgeous looking parfait :)

34 Jennifer @ Delicious Everyday May 21, 2015

So excited to try this! Looks seriously yummy and easy to prep!

35 Tina May 21, 2015

This looks really good since I love coconut! Just wondering where you get the frozen coconut meat as I’ve never seen it before.

36 Wenchypoo May 21, 2015

Frozen bags of coconut meat can also be found at Asian markets–they have the young Thai, and other kinds. I’m sure this would save you $$ over going to Whole Foods.

37 caysee May 21, 2015

Looks delicious!!!! Where did you purchase the coconut?

38 Danielle May 21, 2015

Aaaaannnnnd you just blew my mind, for the thousandth time. What a great idea.

Thanks, Angela!

D

39 Sagan May 21, 2015

Super cute parfaits! Bet this recipe would be really versatile depending on the type of fruit and granola you use…

40 Jennifer Harmon {Peppers and Peaches} May 21, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Oh Angela, this recipe makes me so happy. I LOVE yogurt but I do not buy it much anymore as it is loaded with added sugars. I prefer mine on the tart side and this recipe looks like just what I need to start my yogurt and granola breakfasts back up! Plus, your parfaits look so beautiful for entertaining purposes. Thanks as always!

41 amanda @ on the corner of brodhead May 21, 2015

i had no idea that frozen coconut meat existed. life changed. thank you!!

42 peggy May 21, 2015

Can u tell me where to find the product and what is the price?

Thanks

43 Heather Mason @NuttyNutrition May 21, 2015

Those parfaits are so beautiful! I actually just bought coconut yogurt from the store the other day and was not impressed by the flavor or the long ingredient list! I will definitely be trying this version!

44 Nina May 21, 2015

Recipe sounds great! Do you think it could be fermented in a yogurt maker?
Any thoughts?

45 Jessica DeMarra May 21, 2015

Great recipe idea! My boyfriend has been missing yoghurt since we made the switch to a plant based diet. Soy yoghurt is a no go since it always tastes like paste but this one looks super smooth and paired with jam? Give me a scoop of that!

46 Valerie May 21, 2015

Hi Angela! Thanks for a great sounding recipe! I look forward to trying it! I just have one question: I’ve used probiotic capsules in the past to make “yogurt”, and the results have come out less than desirable. I think it may be the brand of probiotics I’ve used, perhaps it was too strong or something. So I was wondering, what kind of probiotics did you use?

47 Melissa @ Treats With a Twist May 21, 2015

Speaking of hacking your hand of with a cleaver… Have you heard of the Coco-Jack?! You need to look it up! I’ve been wanting one FOREVER!! I’d totally be buying coconuts all the time!

48 Amy @ Cultivate Beauty May 21, 2015

Thanks for the recipe! Have never tried making coconut yoghurt at home, but this sounds surprisingly simple and do-able :) Will have to keep an eye out for frozen coconut meat!

49 ranjitha May 22, 2015

I wish liked coconut..It’s look like perfect

50 suzanne May 22, 2015

OH I am happy about this recipe :)…I have had almond milk yogurt on my list of things to make lately as I love yogurt but it is so expensive. My time has been short lately so this version sounds perfect – just have to find some of the meat you have there!
Thanks so much for ANOTHER great recipe!

51 Sarina Eagleton May 22, 2015

What a fun project! My kids will go crazy for this. All of the images are so helpful too! yummhi + healthy + hygienic. Thanks for the wonderful tasty recipe. :)

52 Amanda May 22, 2015

Yummy!! I just dehydrated some of the strawberries from last weeks farmers market, I was going to put them in a trail mix or make a strawberry jam for the center of my favorite raw vegan shortbread cookies buuuut, after seeing this recipe I may just have to get me some coconuts. ;) Thanks for sharing!

53 Steph May 22, 2015

Aaah, this looks so beautiful and delicious! And I was just thinking what to serve for dessert when my in laws come home this weekend

54 Marie May 22, 2015

Seems delicious, but I doubt any store carries that in France. And I have trouble with the opening of young thai coconut ^^’

55 Alison May 22, 2015

I really want to try this, but I don’t have a super-awesome Vitamix blender. Can this be done in a food processor?

56 lena May 22, 2015

Went to my whole foods and they don’t carry the frozen coconut! !! I was so ready to try this. Where else can I buy frozen coconut? ??

57 Fanya @ Bliss half FULL May 22, 2015

That looks so delicious, I was afraid I will never have proper yogurt again. Now I just hope I can find coconut meat here.
I wish your new cookbook came out already….

58 My Health Tips Online May 22, 2015

You have mentioned several best tips, most amazing method.

59 easypeasy May 22, 2015

Sounds yummy! :)

60 Alicia May 23, 2015

It Looks delicious!I would love to try it. just hoping to find the coconut meat.

61 Sabina May 23, 2015

Fiesta Farms in Toronto has frozen young Thai coconut for $9.99/bag. Next time, I will check out Asian grocery stores. This recipe looks awesome!

62 Chad May 26, 2015

That looks amazing. I am going g to have to make this.

63 Mary @chattavore May 26, 2015

SO pretty, Angela! I need to make this ASAP! Thanks for the recipe.

64 Kate May 27, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I made the strawberry chia seed jam and it was excellent! It tastes much better than any store bought jam, and it’s extra filling. It’s also a good way to use up berries that are past their prime.

65 Kathryn May 27, 2015

I love this recipe! I made it using water kefir, so it really is like yogurt! It turned out really well.

66 Owen Staples May 27, 2015

The Coconut yogurt sounds SO good! You have some great ideas and thoughts. Keep posting!

67 Cheryl May 28, 2015

Yummy. I love the fresh meat and it is so worth while to ask your grocer to order you a case of fresh young thai coconuts. They genereally come 9 to a case and in the $29 range plus you have the water to. I use what I need fresh of both the meat and water and freeze the rest to add to smoothies etc. Yah just really need a good knife and some confidence.

68 Detox Girl May 29, 2015
Recipe Rating:

hmmm it looks so yummy :)
coco <3

69 Erena DiGonis June 1, 2015

I love “shortcut” anything, so thanks for posting!

70 Raphael Swallow June 2, 2015

This sounds incredibly simple and I will be making it soon. Can you tell me how long the yogurt is good for if refrigerated?

71 KJ June 3, 2015

This looks so good!! I’ve been wanting to try making my own coconut yogurt, this recipe will be a great place to start!

-KJ
@Omnomherbivore

72 KC June 4, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Finally got my hands on some frozen coconut meat (it was hidden at the bottom of the frozen section at Whole Foods) and made the yogurt with honey–was amazing!!! Just topped with chopped strawberries and sunflower seeds…so many combos I want to try with this base! Will def be making again!! Thank you for the delicious recipe!

73 babs June 7, 2015
Recipe Rating:

What does the probiotic do to the yogurt? Make it thicker or easier to set?

74 Rayford Cozad June 9, 2015

Highfive! If it works for kombucha, then it should be good for yoghurt. Working on a batch of coffee kombucha this week. Wish me luck!

75 Lane June 9, 2015

This looks so delicious! I’ve never had young coconut meat before, but it looks yummy. Amazing post as always!
xx Lane

76 Gracia Banco June 9, 2015

Perfect! ;) Good luck

77 Sarah Chambers June 15, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Hi there,
Just wanted to say that I love coconut meat as well. If you buy a whole coconut and put it in your deep freeze for one night. Remove from freezer take a hammer and knock off the wood, you have your whole coconut meat. Yummy!

78 Elisa Hernandez June 17, 2015

This coconut yogurt looks so great! I love your incorporation of the granola and the strawberries:) thank you so much for sharing this with us!

79 Stephanie June 18, 2015

I’ve never seen coconut meat in the store before! We have a Whole Foods nearby though, so I’ll have to check there, can’t wait to try this!

80 audrie trammell June 25, 2015

great ideas. Thanks for making this easier for those of us who have to do this for health reasons.

81 Jen July 3, 2015
Recipe Rating:

OMG! Where did you find the frozen coconut meat!

82 Tabitha July 5, 2015

Thanks for the recipe!! I am going to try making this today. We are Canadian but living in Asia. In the past we used to buy the young Thai coconuts often in Canada but we found out that they use formaldehyde to preserve them. I was so disappointed but that is great you can now buy the frozen organic coconut meat!

83 Kathleen July 6, 2015

Looks yummy, as always! Does the probiotic powder give it that kinda-tangy, yogurty taste, too?

84 Trisha July 15, 2015

This is a great recipe – love this. Beautiful pictures too!

85 Carol Cox July 17, 2015

I was recently put on a dairy free, artificial sweetner free and white flour and sugar free diet. This yogurt recipe sounds good. Has anyone tried stevia as a sweetner and how much did you use?

86 Mary @ Fit and Fed July 21, 2015

I love blended young coconut meat, but haven’t seen it for sale frozen around here, though I’ve never checked at Whole Foods. I’ve only even gotten it the old-fashioned way by splitting the coconuts open myself, which means I haven’t had it for a long time. I’ll take a look for it next time I’m near Whole Foods (or possibly at the Asian or Indian supermarket?).

87 Monica August 25, 2015

Help! Where do you get your young Thai coconut meat? I’m looking all over online and only finding it in the $100 case! Can you give me details on the brand you buy? (What it’s called, where you get it?) Do you buy it online or in a store near you?? Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

88 Luiza September 21, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I just need to say thank you!!!! I tried and this is just perfect. I loved it!

89 Lauren | Effortless Vitality October 2, 2015

“Super thick coconut yogurt” got my attention and that “shortcut” sealed the deal. I wouldn’t have guessed that whizzed up young coconut meat would make the right yogurt-y texture but gosh it looks satisfying in the photos. Awesome idea. Thank you for sharing!

90 Jennifer November 16, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Hi Angela! Long time lurker, first time commenter (here, at least) I wanted to let you know I’ve had success using canned young coconut meat. Because it was canned in syrup (yuck!) I made sure to drain it and soak it (changed the water twice) I used two cans and only needed 1/3 extra liquid. I chose not to add any sweetener (figured the syrup probably already did a good job of that) for a little more of a yogurt taste, I added a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and a teaspoon of white vinegar. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to find all the proper ingredients in Japan, but I’m happy I made it work!

91 Elenoa Valance November 17, 2015
Recipe Rating:

For the liquid sweetener, can you use maple syrup or honey?

92 Melissa January 5, 2016

Does anyone know the calorie, fat, etc on this? Looks amazing and want to try but would like to know… Thank you

93 Vicki Montague - The Free From Fairy January 13, 2016

I wish we could get coconut flesh easily here in the UK. This looks incredible!!!

94 Theresia February 22, 2016

The frozen young Thai coconut was not avalable for a while. Today I just happened to be at the Organic Garage and it was back in stock. I am going to make this yoghurt for sure but
Was wondering whether you have used the natural sweetener Lakanto. Being diabetic, I tend to avoid sugars and carbs. I am using Lakanto whenever I feel the need for a sweetener. I have made your chia jam recipe several times, sweetened with Lakanto. It has a pure, clean taste and has 0 calories. It comes from the Monk Fruit. I hope you have a chance to try it out. I grind it in my coffee grinder. That makes it go a long way….

95 Michelle March 20, 2016

This is perfect. I recently tried coconut yogurt and loved it although I was slightly throw off by all of the additives. This looks super easy and much better for you. I will have to try this for sure!

96 Sylvie April 5, 2016

I LOVE your recipe, and your latest book. I’d love to make the coconut yogurt. Could you please let me know where to get the thai coconut meat? I live in Ontario, Canada… Thanks! Sylvie

97 Angela Liddon April 15, 2016

Hi Sylvie, I purchase it at Organic Garage and Whole Foods (in the freezer section). I hope this helps, and I am so happy to hear you’ve been enjoying the cookbook!

98 Pat April 23, 2016

I’m not vegan, but am trying to move toward a more plant-based diet. I might try this recipe and use coconut milk kefir to provide both the liquid and the probiotics.

99 Becky April 28, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Your photos always make me hungry!!

100 Kathleen May 1, 2016

I remember this from when you first posted it – so beautiful! (As always…)
Does the probiotic powder give it a yogurt taste? If so, is there a particular brand you’re partial to?

101 Paula May 3, 2016

Where do you find the frozen young thai coconut?

102 Sarah May 10, 2016

Hey Angela,

My hubby and I switched to coconut yogurt awhile back and were so excited to see you post this recipe for a homemade version – thank you!

But, we were just wondering what probiotic powder you use? There are so many out there to choose from and we’ve never used one before.

Any recommendations you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!