Super Thick Coconut Yogurt (the shortcut method!)

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 20, 2015

coconutyogurtreciperaw-8749

Hi, my name is Angela and I’m in love with coconut meat. I also like shortcuts, so discovering frozen bags of coconut meat made me a bit giddy…

coconutmeat

When I first tried coconut meat I wasn’t sure if I liked it, but it totally grew on me. It’s lightly sweet, super filling (it packs 8g fibre per 1/2 cup!), and has this irresistible silky, smooth texture. I love just eating it on its own as well as making it into this shortcut “yogurt”. Adriana on the other hand…well let’s just say when I let her try some of the yogurt (a version with just coconut and water), she made a dramatic gagging face while sticking her tongue out. I guess it’s not for everyone. haha! Maybe she’ll come around.

These bags of frozen coconut meat are more expensive than buying the young Thai coconuts and retrieving the meat yourself, so it’s something I splurge on once in a blue moon when I’m craving a fuss-free homemade coconut yogurt. But it can be whirled up in seconds! And no risk of hacking my hand off with a cleaver (I’m working on my cleaver skills…still not quite there yet). This shortcut recipe isn’t a true yogurt because it’s not fermented, but that’s partly why I love it so much. No wait time, no fuss. I empty a couple probiotic capsules in the yogurt, but you can totally leave the probiotics out if you wish. We’ll call this a “cheater’s” yogurt. A gotta-have-it-now yogurt. For those of you in the GTA, I find these frozen bags of coconut meat at Organic Garage..I think Whole Foods carries it too. If you want to do it the old-fashioned way, you can do that too of course! I link to a Youtube tutorial in the recipe below.

homemadecoconutyogurt

Hello dreamboat! As I mentioned, this version is super thick! It has a similar consistency to Greek yogurt. You can make it however thick or thin you wish just by adjusting the liquid amount. I find 1/2 cup of coconut water and 2 cups of coconut meat = a lovely thick yogurt…no straining required. Likewise, you can make it as sweet or tart as you want by adjusting the sweetener. I don’t like super sweet yogurt so I only add a tablespoon of sweetener into the blender. If I don’t want the yogurt to change colour, I use cane sugar (such as in these photos), but I also like to use maple syrup or raw coconut nectar too (which will dim the bright white yogurt a bit). You can also get creative and try making different flavours by adding fruit, chia jam, etc. I think I might try a coconut-mango-lime version next!

coconutyogurtreciperaw-8774

I made parfaits with strawberry-raspberry chia seed jam paired with a granola that I’m testing for my next cookbook (in the meantime, check out my Lightened Up Summer granola and the granola clusters in the Oh She Glows Cookbook). This yogurt is also awesome in vegan overnight oats, smoothies, and I hear you can make raw ice cream with it too.

Here is my batch of strawberry-raspberry-vanilla chia seed jam below. As a general rule of thumb for making chia seed jam, I use about 300-450 grams of fruit, 3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup (adjust depending on tartness of fruit), 2 tablespoons of chia seeds, and a pinch of pink salt. You can flavour it with vanilla, lemon, orange, etc. For how to make it, see this post.

chiaseedjam

coconutyogurtreciperaw-8739

4.6 from 19 reviews

Super Thick Coconut "Yogurt"

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, nut-free, oil-free, soy-free

By

This shortcut coconut yogurt is as simple and fresh as it gets! I occasionally buy coconut yogurt from the grocery store, but when I want something that is super fresh and without any added ingredients I will make this version for a fun treat. Granted, it's not a true yogurt since there's no fermentation, but I love how quick this version is. I often take the shortcut by purchasing frozen coconut meat (found in the freezer section of some health food grocers, like Organic Garage or Whole Foods) rather than buying young coconuts. Once the meat is thawed it just takes a minute of blending to create a yogurt with a texture similar to Greek yogurt. If you are well-versed with young coconuts and a cleaver, feel free to scoop out the flesh the old-fashioned way too! See this video for a tutorial. I recommend making this recipe in advance so it has time to chill in the fridge. Thanks to Gena from Choosing Raw for the recipe inspiration!

Yield
2 cups
Prep time
Cook time
0 Minutes

Ingredients:

• 2 cups fresh young Thai coconut meat (or thawed Young Thai Coconut Meat, see headnote)
  • 1/2 cup (125 mL) coconut water (or use filtered water in a pinch)
  • 1 tablespoon (15 mL)  fresh lemon juice (reduce for a less tart flavour)
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon probiotic powder, optional (you can empty probiotic capsules, if desired)
  • Pinch of pink salt or fine grain sea salt
  • Sweetener, to taste (I use 1 tablespoon natural cane sugar)

Directions:

1. Add all ingredients into a high speed blender and blend on low, gradually increasing the speed to high, until super smooth. Keep blending until it’s not grainy anymore. Adjust sweetness to taste by adding sweetener if desired and blending again. I add a tablespoon of cane sugar and blend on high to pulverize it in my Vitamix.
  2. Spoon the yogurt into an air-tight container and chill in the fridge for at least a couple hours.
  3. Serve with granola and chia seed jam, parfait-style, if desired. Or simply enjoy alone or with fresh fruit. This yogurt is also great mixed into vegan overnight oats or added to smoothies! I’m not positive on the shelf life because we usually enjoy it within a couple days, but I imagine it lasts at least a few days in the fridge in an air-tight container.

coconutyogurtreciperaw-8778

upcccam May 20, 2015 at 9:51 am

i’ll make that soon , its really delicious i think… :D

Cassie May 20, 2015 at 10:03 am

What a fabulous idea! I’m trying a plant-based diet over the summer so I definitely needed this yogurt substitute!

Laura ~ Raise Your Garden May 21, 2015 at 4:34 pm

I’m like 80/20 plant based diet too. But I’m heading in that direction. I definitely feel a whole lot better when I eat more plants and not-so-much meat. But coconut meat? My head is spinning. Love the GTA, will have to look around next time I visit. I’m from Buffalo, only about 2.5 hours from GTA but I need to renew my passport. I like the thickness of this yogurt and your idea of sweetening with cane sugar.

Erin May 25, 2015 at 12:43 pm

I grew up in Buffalo and go back every summer. Love all the vegan options. Girls, what is GTA?

Erin May 25, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Ahhhh. Must be Greater Toronto Area.
Do you do cooking classes?

Alison May 20, 2015 at 10:11 am

This looks wonderful. I would love to see the mango lime version as well. Thank you for your delicious recipes!

Jenni May 20, 2015 at 10:25 am

Looks amazing! What kind of probiotic powder do you use? Thanks!

Erica {[email protected]} May 20, 2015 at 10:31 am

Yogurt has been one of the things I’m eating much more of now that I’m pregnant. This looks amazing!

Alexa [fooduzzi.com] May 20, 2015 at 10:47 am

What a delicious idea! Greek yogurt is something that I’ve totally missed since moving towards a plant-based diet. This sounds like a great (and whole food!) alternative! Pinned :)

Abbey @ thesonomalife May 20, 2015 at 10:53 am

This looks amazing! I’m making your blueberry chia jam right now, can’t wait to try it with the yogurt. Thank you!

Erin @ Erin's Inside Job May 20, 2015 at 11:04 am

Everything you post is always amazing and I want to eat it right off the screen. I actually had to get up and make myself some lunch bc I got so hungry looking at it. Thanks for sharing!

Alina May 20, 2015 at 11:08 am

Angela, this looks amazing! I make a similar recipe (my son is dairy and gluten sensitive), but I use pear jam (sometimes mango jam) as a sweetener. Yum!

Rachel May 20, 2015 at 11:44 am

I’ve been making chia seed jam for awhile, but had never heard of this coconut yogurt! What a great recipe. All those layers of color!

I’m vegan and have been going through a lot of the same feelings about that label that you addressed recently in your post, “Food for Thought”. I am familiar with the backlash that can come from both sides. At least I know I’m part of a community that is generally really supportive and kind. You are the shining example.

Thank you, as always, for your delicious recipes (can’t wait to try out your coconut yogurt parfaits) and your positive outlook. I value both more than I can say.

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan May 20, 2015 at 11:56 am

Ohh yes!! I tried coconut yogurt once, but I didn’t like how much sugar it had. Looks like I need to make this homemade version!

Millie l Add A Little May 20, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Coconut yoghurt is one of my favourites! This looks amazing!

Beth May 20, 2015 at 12:17 pm

This looks and sounds absolutely delicious. I am going to have to try this, as it is perfect for a snack or breakfast.

Beth x
www.hellobeth.co.uk

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health May 20, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Wow, I can’t get over how easy this is to make! And I love that it has a thick and creamy texture. It looks perfect! Can you recommend a favorite brand of probiotics?

Amanda @ Slimplify Life May 20, 2015 at 12:58 pm

This looks unreallllll. Will most definitely be trying this soon, thank you so much!

Marissa May 20, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Beautiful! Fresh coconut yogurt is so amazing. Shortcuts are so appreciated at times!

Anna May 20, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I wish I liked coconut…it looks amazing!!!

Amy @ Happy Healthy RD May 20, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Holy yum! I need to get my hands on some coconut meat. I haven’t seen it in any stores yet but now I’m on a mission to find some!

Jay May 20, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Most asian grocery stores carry frozen coconut meat- and I’m guessing it’s a lot cheaper than whole foods.

Sarah May 20, 2015 at 3:31 pm

YUM! I’m such a slacker, I always say I will try making my own coconut yogurt but never do. However, this shortcut method I gotta try. Frozen coconut meat is also pure genius…I gotta get me some! Thanks Angela:)

Maria May 20, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Neat! I’ve been making my own soy yogurt for years but this looks like a rich and creamy easy alternative. And I just bought some fresh organic strawberries! Mmmmm. Thanks for the idea!

Jennifer May 20, 2015 at 4:21 pm

I’m so excited to try this. I’ve been missing yogurt and I don’t do soy. Thank you so much for the recipe!
Blessings!

Marieke May 20, 2015 at 4:35 pm

I would love to try this! It looks really delicious. Hopefully I can find the needed ingredients over here (I’m from the Netherlands). Thank you so much for the recipe!

Tori Avey May 20, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Thanks for this! Love coconut yogurt. <3

Alex @ True Femme May 20, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Ok, this is seriously amazing! I can’t wait to try this! I really don’t have the patience to make my own yogurt but I also don’t like that many store-bought coconut yogurts have a ton of added ingredients. This is the perfect solution and I cannot wait to try this! Time efficient, healthy, and looks delicious–can’t ask for much more!

June @ How to Philosophize with Cake May 20, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Wow that looks amazing! I need to try this–homemade vegan yogurt sounds perfect :)

Lauren May 20, 2015 at 7:22 pm

This looks seriously delicious. I have never seen frozen coconut meat before, its a great idea for those of us with not so good cleaving skills… Mine are pretty terrible too and being so clumsy it is just not a good idea… I need to start making my own coconut yoghurt too as coyo is so darn expensive!

Lilly May 20, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Sounds interesting! May have to give it a try! Lilly xx http://alittlelilly.blogspot.com/

Sal @ The Fit Foodie May 20, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Oh I wish strawberries were in season in Australia. Miss them so much!

Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen May 21, 2015 at 12:58 am

I LOVE how easy this is to throw together Angela!!! Yogurt was one of my favorite things to eat before going vegan – I used to eat it directly from the fridge! Very excited to try this recipe and love that gorgeous looking parfait :)

Jennifer @ Delicious Everyday May 21, 2015 at 3:33 am

So excited to try this! Looks seriously yummy and easy to prep!

Tina May 21, 2015 at 6:44 am

This looks really good since I love coconut! Just wondering where you get the frozen coconut meat as I’ve never seen it before.

Wenchypoo May 21, 2015 at 7:52 am

Frozen bags of coconut meat can also be found at Asian markets–they have the young Thai, and other kinds. I’m sure this would save you $$ over going to Whole Foods.

caysee May 21, 2015 at 8:16 am

Looks delicious!!!! Where did you purchase the coconut?

Danielle May 21, 2015 at 8:20 am

Aaaaannnnnd you just blew my mind, for the thousandth time. What a great idea.

Thanks, Angela!

D

Sagan May 21, 2015 at 8:39 am

Super cute parfaits! Bet this recipe would be really versatile depending on the type of fruit and granola you use…

Jennifer Harmon {Peppers and Peaches} May 21, 2015 at 9:48 am
Recipe Rating:

Oh Angela, this recipe makes me so happy. I LOVE yogurt but I do not buy it much anymore as it is loaded with added sugars. I prefer mine on the tart side and this recipe looks like just what I need to start my yogurt and granola breakfasts back up! Plus, your parfaits look so beautiful for entertaining purposes. Thanks as always!

amanda @ on the corner of brodhead May 21, 2015 at 9:55 am

i had no idea that frozen coconut meat existed. life changed. thank you!!

peggy May 21, 2015 at 10:11 am

Can u tell me where to find the product and what is the price?

Thanks

Heather Mason @NuttyNutrition May 21, 2015 at 10:48 am

Those parfaits are so beautiful! I actually just bought coconut yogurt from the store the other day and was not impressed by the flavor or the long ingredient list! I will definitely be trying this version!

Nina May 21, 2015 at 10:54 am

Recipe sounds great! Do you think it could be fermented in a yogurt maker?
Any thoughts?

Jessica DeMarra May 21, 2015 at 11:33 am

Great recipe idea! My boyfriend has been missing yoghurt since we made the switch to a plant based diet. Soy yoghurt is a no go since it always tastes like paste but this one looks super smooth and paired with jam? Give me a scoop of that!

Valerie May 21, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Hi Angela! Thanks for a great sounding recipe! I look forward to trying it! I just have one question: I’ve used probiotic capsules in the past to make “yogurt”, and the results have come out less than desirable. I think it may be the brand of probiotics I’ve used, perhaps it was too strong or something. So I was wondering, what kind of probiotics did you use?

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist May 21, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Speaking of hacking your hand of with a cleaver… Have you heard of the Coco-Jack?! You need to look it up! I’ve been wanting one FOREVER!! I’d totally be buying coconuts all the time!

Amy @ Cultivate Beauty May 21, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Thanks for the recipe! Have never tried making coconut yoghurt at home, but this sounds surprisingly simple and do-able :) Will have to keep an eye out for frozen coconut meat!

ranjitha May 22, 2015 at 2:41 am

I wish liked coconut..It’s look like perfect

suzanne May 22, 2015 at 6:59 am

OH I am happy about this recipe :)…I have had almond milk yogurt on my list of things to make lately as I love yogurt but it is so expensive. My time has been short lately so this version sounds perfect – just have to find some of the meat you have there!
Thanks so much for ANOTHER great recipe!

Sarina Eagleton May 22, 2015 at 7:01 am

What a fun project! My kids will go crazy for this. All of the images are so helpful too! yummhi + healthy + hygienic. Thanks for the wonderful tasty recipe. :)

Amanda May 22, 2015 at 7:12 am

Yummy!! I just dehydrated some of the strawberries from last weeks farmers market, I was going to put them in a trail mix or make a strawberry jam for the center of my favorite raw vegan shortbread cookies buuuut, after seeing this recipe I may just have to get me some coconuts. ;) Thanks for sharing!

Steph May 22, 2015 at 7:13 am

Aaah, this looks so beautiful and delicious! And I was just thinking what to serve for dessert when my in laws come home this weekend

Marie May 22, 2015 at 8:46 am

Seems delicious, but I doubt any store carries that in France. And I have trouble with the opening of young thai coconut ^^’

Alison May 22, 2015 at 10:08 am

I really want to try this, but I don’t have a super-awesome Vitamix blender. Can this be done in a food processor?

lena May 22, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Went to my whole foods and they don’t carry the frozen coconut! !! I was so ready to try this. Where else can I buy frozen coconut? ??

Fanya @ Bliss half FULL May 22, 2015 at 9:23 pm

That looks so delicious, I was afraid I will never have proper yogurt again. Now I just hope I can find coconut meat here.
I wish your new cookbook came out already….

My Health Tips Online May 22, 2015 at 11:27 pm

You have mentioned several best tips, most amazing method.

easypeasy May 22, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Sounds yummy! :)

Alicia May 23, 2015 at 7:06 am

It Looks delicious!I would love to try it. just hoping to find the coconut meat.

Sabina May 23, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Fiesta Farms in Toronto has frozen young Thai coconut for $9.99/bag. Next time, I will check out Asian grocery stores. This recipe looks awesome!

Chad May 26, 2015 at 1:26 pm

That looks amazing. I am going g to have to make this.

Mary @chattavore May 26, 2015 at 9:03 pm

SO pretty, Angela! I need to make this ASAP! Thanks for the recipe.

Kate May 27, 2015 at 9:01 am
Recipe Rating:

I made the strawberry chia seed jam and it was excellent! It tastes much better than any store bought jam, and it’s extra filling. It’s also a good way to use up berries that are past their prime.

Kathryn May 27, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I love this recipe! I made it using water kefir, so it really is like yogurt! It turned out really well.

Owen Staples May 27, 2015 at 9:00 pm

The Coconut yogurt sounds SO good! You have some great ideas and thoughts. Keep posting!

Cheryl May 28, 2015 at 8:17 am

Yummy. I love the fresh meat and it is so worth while to ask your grocer to order you a case of fresh young thai coconuts. They genereally come 9 to a case and in the $29 range plus you have the water to. I use what I need fresh of both the meat and water and freeze the rest to add to smoothies etc. Yah just really need a good knife and some confidence.

Detox Girl May 29, 2015 at 7:57 am
Recipe Rating:

hmmm it looks so yummy :)
coco <3

Erena DiGonis June 1, 2015 at 10:05 am

I love “shortcut” anything, so thanks for posting!

Raphael Swallow June 2, 2015 at 2:34 am

This sounds incredibly simple and I will be making it soon. Can you tell me how long the yogurt is good for if refrigerated?

KJ June 3, 2015 at 4:11 pm

This looks so good!! I’ve been wanting to try making my own coconut yogurt, this recipe will be a great place to start!

-KJ
@Omnomherbivore

KC June 4, 2015 at 11:41 pm
Recipe Rating:

Finally got my hands on some frozen coconut meat (it was hidden at the bottom of the frozen section at Whole Foods) and made the yogurt with honey–was amazing!!! Just topped with chopped strawberries and sunflower seeds…so many combos I want to try with this base! Will def be making again!! Thank you for the delicious recipe!

babs June 7, 2015 at 6:00 pm
Recipe Rating:

What does the probiotic do to the yogurt? Make it thicker or easier to set?

Rayford Cozad June 9, 2015 at 3:46 am

Highfive! If it works for kombucha, then it should be good for yoghurt. Working on a batch of coffee kombucha this week. Wish me luck!

Lane June 9, 2015 at 12:10 pm

This looks so delicious! I’ve never had young coconut meat before, but it looks yummy. Amazing post as always!
xx Lane

Gracia Banco June 9, 2015 at 11:54 pm

Perfect! ;) Good luck

Sarah Chambers June 15, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Hi there,
Just wanted to say that I love coconut meat as well. If you buy a whole coconut and put it in your deep freeze for one night. Remove from freezer take a hammer and knock off the wood, you have your whole coconut meat. Yummy!

Elisa Hernandez June 17, 2015 at 6:08 pm

This coconut yogurt looks so great! I love your incorporation of the granola and the strawberries:) thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Stephanie June 18, 2015 at 10:47 am

I’ve never seen coconut meat in the store before! We have a Whole Foods nearby though, so I’ll have to check there, can’t wait to try this!

audrie trammell June 25, 2015 at 2:17 pm

great ideas. Thanks for making this easier for those of us who have to do this for health reasons.

Jen July 3, 2015 at 12:52 am
Recipe Rating:

OMG! Where did you find the frozen coconut meat!

Tabitha July 5, 2015 at 10:58 pm

Thanks for the recipe!! I am going to try making this today. We are Canadian but living in Asia. In the past we used to buy the young Thai coconuts often in Canada but we found out that they use formaldehyde to preserve them. I was so disappointed but that is great you can now buy the frozen organic coconut meat!

Kathleen July 6, 2015 at 11:51 pm

Looks yummy, as always! Does the probiotic powder give it that kinda-tangy, yogurty taste, too?

Trisha July 15, 2015 at 12:16 pm

This is a great recipe – love this. Beautiful pictures too!

Carol Cox July 17, 2015 at 8:01 pm

I was recently put on a dairy free, artificial sweetner free and white flour and sugar free diet. This yogurt recipe sounds good. Has anyone tried stevia as a sweetner and how much did you use?

Mary @ Fit and Fed July 21, 2015 at 10:25 pm

I love blended young coconut meat, but haven’t seen it for sale frozen around here, though I’ve never checked at Whole Foods. I’ve only even gotten it the old-fashioned way by splitting the coconuts open myself, which means I haven’t had it for a long time. I’ll take a look for it next time I’m near Whole Foods (or possibly at the Asian or Indian supermarket?).

Monica August 25, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Help! Where do you get your young Thai coconut meat? I’m looking all over online and only finding it in the $100 case! Can you give me details on the brand you buy? (What it’s called, where you get it?) Do you buy it online or in a store near you?? Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Luiza September 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Recipe Rating:

I just need to say thank you!!!! I tried and this is just perfect. I loved it!

Lauren | Effortless Vitality October 2, 2015 at 12:57 pm

“Super thick coconut yogurt” got my attention and that “shortcut” sealed the deal. I wouldn’t have guessed that whizzed up young coconut meat would make the right yogurt-y texture but gosh it looks satisfying in the photos. Awesome idea. Thank you for sharing!

Jennifer November 16, 2015 at 8:26 pm
Recipe Rating:

Hi Angela! Long time lurker, first time commenter (here, at least) I wanted to let you know I’ve had success using canned young coconut meat. Because it was canned in syrup (yuck!) I made sure to drain it and soak it (changed the water twice) I used two cans and only needed 1/3 extra liquid. I chose not to add any sweetener (figured the syrup probably already did a good job of that) for a little more of a yogurt taste, I added a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and a teaspoon of white vinegar. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to find all the proper ingredients in Japan, but I’m happy I made it work!

Heather October 15, 2017 at 3:53 pm

Thanks you for this comment!! My local Asian has canned young coconut meat and I wondered if it would work!

Elenoa Valance November 17, 2015 at 3:21 am
Recipe Rating:

For the liquid sweetener, can you use maple syrup or honey?

Melissa January 5, 2016 at 8:36 am

Does anyone know the calorie, fat, etc on this? Looks amazing and want to try but would like to know… Thank you

Vicki Montague - The Free From Fairy January 13, 2016 at 8:12 am

I wish we could get coconut flesh easily here in the UK. This looks incredible!!!

Theresia February 22, 2016 at 9:54 pm

The frozen young Thai coconut was not avalable for a while. Today I just happened to be at the Organic Garage and it was back in stock. I am going to make this yoghurt for sure but
Was wondering whether you have used the natural sweetener Lakanto. Being diabetic, I tend to avoid sugars and carbs. I am using Lakanto whenever I feel the need for a sweetener. I have made your chia jam recipe several times, sweetened with Lakanto. It has a pure, clean taste and has 0 calories. It comes from the Monk Fruit. I hope you have a chance to try it out. I grind it in my coffee grinder. That makes it go a long way….

Michelle March 20, 2016 at 7:36 am

This is perfect. I recently tried coconut yogurt and loved it although I was slightly throw off by all of the additives. This looks super easy and much better for you. I will have to try this for sure!

Sylvie April 5, 2016 at 10:11 am

I LOVE your recipe, and your latest book. I’d love to make the coconut yogurt. Could you please let me know where to get the thai coconut meat? I live in Ontario, Canada… Thanks! Sylvie

Angela Liddon April 15, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Hi Sylvie, I purchase it at Organic Garage and Whole Foods (in the freezer section). I hope this helps, and I am so happy to hear you’ve been enjoying the cookbook!

Pat April 23, 2016 at 7:24 am

I’m not vegan, but am trying to move toward a more plant-based diet. I might try this recipe and use coconut milk kefir to provide both the liquid and the probiotics.

Becky April 28, 2016 at 4:52 am
Recipe Rating:

Your photos always make me hungry!!

Kathleen May 1, 2016 at 12:39 am

I remember this from when you first posted it – so beautiful! (As always…)
Does the probiotic powder give it a yogurt taste? If so, is there a particular brand you’re partial to?

Paula May 3, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Where do you find the frozen young thai coconut?

Sarah May 10, 2016 at 8:20 am

Hey Angela,

My hubby and I switched to coconut yogurt awhile back and were so excited to see you post this recipe for a homemade version – thank you!

But, we were just wondering what probiotic powder you use? There are so many out there to choose from and we’ve never used one before.

Any recommendations you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rebecca May 28, 2016 at 10:03 pm
Recipe Rating:

Have you ever tried culturing this? I know you’re adding probiotics but that’s not the same as actually culturing it. You may be able to keep it at room temperature but I suspect keeping it at 105º-110º would work better and faster (you can do it in a dehydrator if you’d like). Of course, it wouldn’t be as fast but I’m curious how it would taste. I bet it would be super thick and wonderfully tangy like Greek yogurt but without straining. I’ll have to try it one of these days!

Angela Liddon June 1, 2016 at 9:31 am

Hey Rebecca, I haven’t tried culturing yogurt before so I’m afraid I don’t have any tips! Let us know if you try anything out. :)

Katherine Wong May 31, 2016 at 5:01 pm
Recipe Rating:

Hello! Can you please help me? My yogurt is still super grainy after blending it for over 20 min! I didn’t use young thai coconuts, though…is that why? I used coconuts from the Dominican Republic. Could it be my blender isn’t powerful enough as a Vitamix?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 1, 2016 at 8:17 am

Hey Katherine,
It’s very possible that it was a combo of things. I love the Vitamix because it definitely gets things super smooth! I also haven’t tried this recipe with a different type of coconut, so it’s always possible the different varieties produce different textures. Lastly, was it grain right from the start of blending or did this happen after a few minutes? I’m wondering if blending it too long could have also done something. Either way, if you make it again I hope it’s a hit! We love it so much around here. :) Thanks for your feedback!

Ken June 17, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Is it possible to over ferment the yogurt?

What would happen if instead of a few hours I left it out for a few days or if after a few hours on the counter I put it in the fridge for a month?

I’m wondering if it would simply be a bacteria powerhouse or go bad? What actually makes yogurt bad?

sharon July 15, 2016 at 10:16 am

Angela, I can’t find coconut meat anywhere locally (frozen). Have you tried it with coconut flakes? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, always enjoy your blog!

Naomi July 28, 2016 at 12:51 am

I would LOVE to make this, but can’t find the frozen coconut meat where I live. Would it be possible to make non-cultured coconut yogurt using canned coconut milk?

Katie September 14, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Hi Angela – love the sound of this recipe – thanks for it! I live in Australia and having trouble finding frozen coconut meat :( I actually found some Amazonia brand frozen coconut meat, but when thawed it was very runny and didn’t work in the recipe! If anyone from Australia has found frozen coconut meat, I’d LOVE to hear where I can get it, so I can successfully make this amazing recipe!

Ev September 16, 2016 at 12:05 pm

I’m looking forward to making this for my cooking class, and it looks amazing. I was just wondering if you could list the nutrition facts/benefits. Thank you!

Theresia September 26, 2016 at 10:45 am

I have made this recipe several times. It is very good. One day I had some rejuvelac left over from making my vegan “boursin” cheese. I decided to use rejuvelac instead of coconut water and leave it on the kitchen counter overnight. Lo and behold, it started to ferment an turned into a delicious thick and tasty yoghurt. As if that was not enough, the next time I added a can of pure, organic coconut cream as well and left it on the counter for 24 hours. Oh my God, this turned into a creamy fermented yoghurt. It could not have been better and creamier…… I love to experiment and this one turned into a real success. Thanks for the original recipe, Angela

Rejuvelac is a fermented grain turning filtered water into a probiotic drink.

Angela Liddon September 26, 2016 at 1:04 pm

It’s great to hear that worked out so well!! Thanks for sharing, Theresia.

Theresia September 26, 2016 at 10:47 am
Recipe Rating:

I made an error rating this recipe. It is a 5 star, for sure!!

Denise Jones October 20, 2016 at 2:32 am

This looks creamy and delicious! Question about the process…how do you get the beneficial bacteria to multiply in this recipe when the yogurt goes into the fridge right away? Doesn’t the yogurt need a warm environment in order to ferment? Maybe that’s why it’s a shortcut method? You get the probiotics from the capsules only…but no fermentation? Either way, it looks great.

Emma December 5, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Disappointed after reading this recipe. Yoghurt is a fermented food. This is not. Sure, it sounds delicious but calling it yoghurt is a bit misleading.

Chinonye Ekwenchi December 10, 2016 at 7:47 pm
Recipe Rating:

Would I be able to use this yogurt in a recipe for cookies that requires yogurt?

Stephanie December 15, 2016 at 1:00 am

I used fresh coconut flesh (not frozen) that I got at Whole Foods. The coconut wasn’t expired but it did have a sourness and yogurt-like tang to it which is why I chose to make this rather than coconut milk…. I’m polling you people on this site to find out: do you think this awesome or gross?? I’ve eaten a small amount (about 1/4 cup) about 8 hours ago and I don’t feel sick – but I’m still a little hesitant. I’d love to get some reassurance or cautionary tales, whatever the case may be! Its not fair for me to rate this recipe because of my questionable ingredients but I hope to make it again properly because I recognize that it’s a great recipe.

kaisha December 29, 2016 at 2:26 am

can i use the frozen shredded coconut?

Sadie Morgan December 29, 2016 at 11:23 am
Recipe Rating:

Hi there – where can I get the coconut flesh easily? Where do you recommend?

Briana January 13, 2017 at 10:50 am
Recipe Rating:

Hello! I just made this yogurt and it taste amazing but I’m having a texture issue, I used the chunks of coconut meat from Whole Foods and my yogurt is definitly not silly smooth. It almost has a granulated feel to it, do you think it’s just the coconut meat I used? Thank you!!!!!!

Angela Liddon January 18, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Hi Briana, It may have been a combination of factors. It’s for sure possible different varieties of coconut might produce slightly different textures. As well, it might simply be that the yogurt needed to be blended for a while longer. (Alternatively, I’m wondering if blending too long might have had an effect!) Plus, while I find my Vitamix gets things super smooth, a blender that isn’t quite as powerful might have a bit more difficulty. I’m so glad you enjoyed the flavour, though, regardless of texture issues!! If you use a different brand of coconut sometime, I’d love to hear if you get different results.

Lena February 17, 2017 at 11:06 pm

I am so excited to stumble upon this. I recently discovered that I am allergic to milk so I have been looking for an alternative to a yogurt and I have yet to find a substitution. I can’t wait to try this!

Lydia March 16, 2017 at 11:25 pm
Recipe Rating:

I just read through all the comments to see if anyone else had the same problem as me. My yogurt never got smooth. I bought frozen coconut meat from Superstore (they have it in President’s Choice brand now!), thawed it, and blended it up with water and a splash of maple syrup in my Vitamix. I blended it for so long it actually got hot! I varied the speed, I kept on tamping it down so it all got in the blades, and finally I gave up and now I just have grainy coconut. I’m sure it doesn’t have anything to do with blending too long, as I frequently checked on it and it just went from chunky to less chunky. Not sure what I’m going to do with it now. Just letting you know.

Carolyn February 6, 2018 at 3:55 pm

You can actually ferment the coconut meat by adding coconut water kefir (which you can make by emptying some probiotic capsules – I use around 4 per coconut – into fresh coconut water and letting it sit for 24 hours in a covered jar) into it and letting it sit for 24 hours. I use a mason jar with a “Pickle Pipe” on the lid. It is very good for your digestive system.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 7, 2018 at 8:17 am

Thanks Carolyn! I actually have some coconut kefir on hand (store-bought though!), and it’s great to add to the diet.

Rachel April 22, 2018 at 5:53 am
Recipe Rating:

We loved this recipe! I used a whole young Thai coconut. It gave me about 12 oz coconut water and 1.25 c coconut meat. I used the yogurt to make overnight oats and my husband loved it and said “I could eat another portion of that.” Thank you for sharing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2018 at 6:23 am

Oh it’s the best with overnight oats isn’t it? Thanks so your review! :)