Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Avocado Garlic Aioli

crispysmashedpotatoes-1628

Meet our new favourite side dish. Yukon Gold potatoes are boiled, smashed, roasted until crispy, and then topped with a decadent, yet heart-healthy, avocado garlic aioli. Be still my heart. In the spirit of new beginnings for our little family of three, I decided to add something new to my Thanksgiving repertoire this year. Eric and I polished off the first batch all on our own…no regrets! hah. Well, my only regret was that I didn’t make a bigger batch.

Here’s a quick visual how-to…

smashedpotatoes

These are incredibly easy to make, yet taste like something from a high-end restaurant. Yup, that’s right, we’re getting fancy pants up in here.

yukongoldpotatoes-1633

avocadoaioli-1572

In conclusion, I recommend making this recipe as soon as humanly possible. You won’t be sorry. I know this dish is going to be on high rotation in our house this winter (much like our old stand by). Who said winter was all gloom and doom? I beg to differ. Bring on the comfort food!

smashedpotatoesveganavocadoaioli-1624

Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Avocado Garlic Aioli

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

4.9 from 138 reviews

One of my all-time favourite ways to enjoy Yukon Gold potatoes! Smashed, crispy, and served with an addictive—yet healthy—avocado garlic aioli sauce. These smashed potatoes make a killer side dish. I recommend looking for potatoes on the smaller side if you can, as they "smash" a bit easier, but larger potatoes will turn out fine too. Smashed potatoes inspired by Leaf.

Yield
7 medium potatoes
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

For the potatoes:
  • 2 to 2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (or try red or new potatoes)
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
  • Garlic powder or granules, for sprinkling on top
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
For the Avocado Garlic Aioli:
  • 1 large avocado, halved and pitted
  • 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves
  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
  • 1/4 cup soy-free Veganaise (or vegan mayo of choice)
  • Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Add potatoes into a large pot and cover with water (do not peel the potatoes). Turn the heat to high. When the water starts to boil, reduce heat slightly, and simmer the potatoes uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, until fork tender.
  2. When there is about 10 minutes left of boiling the potatoes, begin preheating the oven to 450°F.
  3. When the potatoes are fork tender, drain in a colander and cool for 5 minutes or so.
  4. Place the potatoes on a large, lightly greased baking sheet. (Skip the parchment paper for this recipe, as an oiled baking sheet with produce crispier potatoes.) With the base of a mug or metal measuring cup, "smash" (press down on) each potato until each one is mostly flattened. Some potatoes might break apart a little, but this is totally fine!
  5. Drizzle each potato with about 1 teaspoon of oil and sprinkle on a generous amount of salt and pepper. Finally, sprinkle on some garlic powder.
  6. Roast the potatoes in the oven for 25 to 33 minutes until crispy, golden, and browned on the bottom. Keep an eye on them as cook time will vary depending on the size of your potatoes. I love to roast these until the skins become a deep golden brown and crispy—they are so delicious to eat!
  7. Meanwhile, prepare the Avocado Garlic Aioli: Add garlic into food processor and process until minced. Now add the rest of the aioli ingredients and process until smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed.
  8. Remove the potatoes from the oven and sprinkle each with chopped fresh parsley, more sea salt, and pepper. Serve immediately with avocado aioli (piped or dolloped on) and watch them go lightning fast!!

Tips:

• If you have any leftover potatoes, they can be reheated in an oven on a greased baking sheet at 400°F for 6 to 12 minutes, until warmed throughout. The Avocado Garlic Aioli doesn't heat well (it tends to brown), so I don't recommend heating it, but serving fresh whenever possible.

yukongoldpotatoes-1645

1 Inez October 15, 2014

This looks delicious! I’ll be adding it to my Christmas menu, for sure! I really think they would satisfy my non-vegan family. And I think it’s a sign that I have all of the ingredients in my kitchen right now. My husband and I might get an appetizer before dinner tonight!

2 Laura @ Raise Your Garden October 17, 2014

Stupendous. Marvelous. Making these like you said, as soon as humanly possible. Love yukon golds as well! But the avocado garlic aioli, so eager to try. Don’t love avocado’s so I’m trying sneaking ways to incorporate them into my diet with foods that I love (like potatoes!!) Can only imagine peoples faces lighting up like the 4th of July when I bring these to Thanksgiving Dinner!!

3 Lauren October 15, 2014

YES PLEASE!!!

4 Lauren October 15, 2014

Ooh these are so yummy and easy sounding! Perfect for holiday cooking especially since I want to expand the traditional menu :)
Happy Thanksgiving to your family!

5 Kristina @Run Long, Live Well October 15, 2014

Oh my goodness, these look delicious. They seem like they’d be fairly easy too!

6 Heather October 15, 2014

These look delicious! And a perfect game day snack :-)

7 Charlie October 15, 2014

Wow, these look amazing Angela! I love potatoes and when I feel lazy I’ll even have just a big bowl of mashed potatoes for dinner! (I do add some carrots and/or squash to the mix to fake having diversity in my meal :p). I will definitely try these smashed potatoes, they must be so crispy and the aioli must give a great burst of flavor!

8 Emily van Kampen October 15, 2014

It looks like I will have to make this one time! I really like both the Ideas of the smashed potatoes and the avocado aioli. Very interesting!

9 Jessica Lauren DeBry January 22, 2015

Emily I was about to post the same comment!! Interesting combo, but looks delicious. Can’t wait to make this!

10 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 15, 2014

LOVE your potato recipes! I made your salt and vinegar potatoes the other day and they were awesome! These look great as well. The simple potato can be made into something great! :)

11 Carrie (This Fit Chick) October 15, 2014

How delicious!! My goodness I love avocado and garlic… even though it doesn’t love me ;)

12 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 15, 2014

That aioli makes these go from super yummy looking to straight up amaaaaaazing! Love!

13 Leigh October 15, 2014

Yum, can’t wait to make these ASAP. I can’t tell, are the potatoes peeled or with skin?

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2014

Oh good question! I left the skin on. I will update this in the recipe :)

15 Leigh October 15, 2014

Thought that might be the case.. I’m sure the skin adds extra crisp (yes, please!) :) Thanks, I love your recipes!

16 Jill F. October 15, 2014

Want these in my mouth RIGHT NOW.

17 Jen October 15, 2014

Thoughts on substituting mayo product for Greek yogurt?

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2014

Hey Jen, if you like the taste of an unsweetened yogurt Im sure it would be just fine. I would add a bit at a time and keep tasting it rather than add the entire amount all at once. Hope this helps!

19 Caitlin October 15, 2014

I’ve put a lot of thought into the following comment:
Thank you. Just… Thank you. ;)

20 Heather October 15, 2014

Oh, YUM! Angela, this looks absolutely amazing. I just love your recipes and I cannot wait to try this one! My favourite things all *smashed* together! YES!

21 Taylor October 15, 2014

I’m drooling over here! I am on the search for vegan recipes to bring to a very non-vegan thanksgiving so I can have something to eat ;). These will DEFINITELY be made!

22 Robin October 15, 2014

Looks Delish!

I try to stay away from any kind of mayo, including Veganase. Can I sub for a nondairy, plain yogurt?

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2014

I would imagine you could make that swap – let me know if you try it out! I would add a bit at a time and keep tasting it just to be sure.

24 Cara October 16, 2014

what about soft silken tofu? I have a recipe for a “mayo” made from tofu, so I bet it would work.

25 Laura @fivefocus October 15, 2014

I made a variation of these the other night but they were missing something…i think you’ve just introduced me to that something!

26 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health October 15, 2014

I make potatoes like this all of the time and they are so good! I usually microwave them before smashing but I wonder if boiling would be better for retaining nutritional value?

Either way, I’ve never thought to add toppings other than oil & herbs though so I love the idea of the avocado aioli. I’m not sure I could be trusted to share them!

27 V.A. October 17, 2014

A naturopath recently told me that microwaving a vegetable essentially changes it’s nutritional value to that of a rubber shoe, lol. She said boiling is much, much better (we were actually talking about making baby food at the time).

28 Star October 8, 2015

I know this comment is a year old now but I just had to comment on this myth. I think because the idea of radiation from a microwave seems so foreign (still) it falls victim to completely unsubstantiated rumors that it is somehow worse nutritionally for food than other means of cooking. I would rather microwave my food than boil it (strictly speaking in the nutritional sense) as boiling leeches nutrients from the food into the water. This is a very well known fact of boiling and is why steaming is recommended over boiling. Also, the longer a food is cooked, the more nutrients are lost. Lightly steaming is best (of course, not possible with this recipe) but microwaving isn’t some horrible thing, at least not that any evidence has backed. It will destroy nutrients, of course, but so does baking (I am not advocating raw eating here either as many foods eaten raw are actually healthier lightly cooked and some even have mild toxins that are destroyed upon cooking).

So, to wrap up a long-winded comment…Microwaving if the potato is in water is just as bad as boiling. I would, however, not ever say that boiling is better than microwaving. That being said, potatoes aren’t so nutrient-rich that I would be too concerned. :) This recipe sounds like it would be fabulous regardless of how the potatoes are cooked!

29 Tina Muir October 15, 2014

These sound amazing! What a perfect side dish! I am kind of carb-ed out after chicago, but as soon as I start running again I am sure I will want them back in my life. These would be SO good!! YUM! Thanks for coming up with yet another delicious recipe!

30 Averie @ Averie Cooks October 15, 2014

These are the prettiest smashed potatoes ever! And anything with avocado is automatically amazing! Pinned :)

31 Pari October 15, 2014

Although I know you do not eat eggs, I could see a fried egg being a nice addition as well. Can’t wait to make these!

32 Amanda October 15, 2014

Hi! This looks wonderful!!! Do you think the recipe would be as delicious with sweet potatoes?! Thanks!

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2014

That’s a great question – I haven’t tried it with sweet potatoes but what a great idea! Let me know if you try it out.

34 Cindy October 16, 2014

I was thinking the exact same thing! Would love to try it with sweet potatoes and can imagine the avocado garlic aioli would also be a nice topping!

35 Sarah October 17, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight (normal potatoes for the family and sweet potatoes for me) and I used the same method as above and oh my…this was delicious!!

36 Lindsey @ Simply Lindsey October 15, 2014

This recipe looks SO delicious!!! I’ve never thought to put a sauce on my smashed potatoes! I’ll have to make this recipe soon!

37 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 15, 2014

Ange, these look unreal!! It’s like being able to have your mashed potatoes and roasted ones at the same freaking time and I LOVE IT!! That garlic aioli…. girl, you have my heart!

38 Britta October 15, 2014

This looks soooo good! What a great invention….Just my taste! Want to try that as soon as possible!!!!!

39 Lisa @ Simple Pairings October 15, 2014

Angela, these look fantastic! Love potatoes in just about any form or fashion, but these look especially great with the avocado garlic aioli. Can’t wait to try these! Pinned.

40 Jenny @ from the desk of j October 15, 2014

Oh. My. God. This looks so good! Yukon gold are my fave potatoes- I usually just bake them but this looks 10x better!!

41 Lindsay October 15, 2014

I NEED THESE IN MY LIFE!! Looks delightful, upscale, and yummy.

42 Jill October 15, 2014

I love smashed potatoes like this! Soft and crispy all at the same time. Gonna have to try out that aoli. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. What else did you serve??

43 mila furman October 15, 2014

Angela these are absolutely amazing! I make taters very similar to this…but this whole avocado aioli just got me thinking…

44 Alex @ True Femme October 15, 2014

These look smashing! Ha sorry I couldn’t resist the opportunity for an awful pun :) But in all honesty, they look fantastic and so easy! I’m making them tomorrow!

45 Kiley October 15, 2014

This looks amazing! Is there any way to make the aioli without the mayo though? I’ve never liked it, but I want the sauce when I make these!

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2014

You can totally leave it out if you’d prefer :) Avocado on its own is still tasty if you ask me. :)

47 Bre October 21, 2014

Kiley, when I made this the other night I ended up using a plain vegan yogurt as opposed to mayo. I’m not a fan either, but I thought that the yogurt would add the same thinning out of the sauce and creamy-ness without the mayo flavor. It was AMAZING

48 Matt Robinson October 15, 2014

So great, love the flavors. And those pics are awesome!

49 Michele @ Two Raspberries October 15, 2014

Brilliant idea! I will totally be trying this recipe! YUMMM

50 Lee @ Modern Granola October 15, 2014

I love eating potatoes cooked this way! And this aioli sounds so good! Sounds like a great recipe!

51 Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen October 15, 2014

These potatoes look ah-mazzzzzing! And that avocado aioli – yumm! I can’t wait to try this recipe! Comfort food at its best!! :)

52 Louise October 15, 2014

I make something similar only I nuke the potatoes first. The rest is the same. I sometimes use different toppings, and have to try this one this weekend! Looks so good.

53 Medha October 15, 2014

Smashed potatoes seem so much more fun to eat than any other kind of potatoes! And this aioli looks to die for :)

54 Ashlea @ Glamour Coastal Living October 15, 2014

Oh my gosh, this recipe looks amazing. I could eat potatoes every day – love it.The garlic aioli is such a great idea, never thought of it. Can’t wait to try! :)

55 Åsa October 15, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Saw this and instantly made it for dinner. Fantastic!!!!! As I’m not a mayo person (with or without eggs doesn’t matter) I used some guacamole with extra lemon juice instead. Wonderful. Thank you.

56 Åsa October 15, 2014

Dead easy too!

57 Karin October 15, 2014

Hoping to make these for dinner this weekend! They look delicious. What did you eat them with? Any suggestions to complete the meal?

58 Anna Mouse October 15, 2014

This is such a clever idea! I love the idea of adding the sauce too. They look incredible…*trying to resist urge to get out of bed and see if I have the ingredients to make this tomorrow*.

59 Dawn October 15, 2014

I made these tonight and they were great! Thank you for another great recipe!

60 Jessica October 15, 2014

Thank you for being so fabulous! You never fail to disappoint!

61 Sara October 15, 2014

I have the potatoes in the oven now and the aioli is ready! The aioli is delicious, I can think of many uses for it! Thanks for another great recipe.

62 danielle October 15, 2014

So delicious!!!

63 Katie @ Produce On Parade October 15, 2014

These are completely gorgeous! I love smashed potatoes and paired with an aioli? That’s so smart!

64 Heather October 15, 2014

I just finished eating this for dinner, it was great!

I halved the aioli and still have some left over, do you think it will keep overnight? or will the avocado in it make it go bad?

65 Nancy Melendez October 15, 2014

This looks amazing! Any pairing ideas?

66 Cathy October 15, 2014

Yum!! I think we’ll be trying these this week!

67 Maryea {happy healthy mama} October 16, 2014

I am DYING looking at this recipe. Can’t wait to give it a try!

68 Bonnie October 16, 2014

Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

69 Jessica October 16, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Made these and they were delicious, but I do recommend making sure that all your potatoes are VERY fork tender before draining them. We had the craziest time trying to “smash” our potatoes. :)

70 Brie October 24, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I had the same problem trying to “smash” the potatoes– must not have let them boil long enough, even though they were fork tender.

71 Krista D. October 16, 2014

I’ve been making potatoes similar to this for a while (called Crash Hot Potatoes), but without the aioli. I’ll have to try that next time!

72 Ella October 16, 2014

Oh my goodness, my mom is going to go CRAZY for these! Potatoes and avocados are her all time top 2 foods. Thanks for sharing, Angela, I might even make these as a side for (American) Thanksgiving!

73 Lily October 16, 2014

That avocado aioli is a great idea! I’m always looking for vegan sauces to dip my baked sweet potato fries in. Thanks!

74 Kayla October 16, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Made these last night with honey mustard chicken breast! They were absolutely delicious! As soon as they were gone I wished I had made more. Thanks for the recipe, love finding new ways to eat potatoes!

75 Allison October 16, 2014

I just wanted to say thank you! I’ve been a longtime reader and LOVE your recipes even though I don’t eat vegan. I’m a new mom too ( my guy is 3 months old) and has been diagnosed with food allergies and intolerances. I’ve cut out the top 8 allergens and corn to continue breastfeeding him and your blog has been a lifesaver to help me prepare exciting meals that stick to my new diet. Thank you sooooo much you’ve been a lifesaver! I made this dish last night :)

76 Boryana October 16, 2014

This recipe is so easy and so delicious. We tried it last night and my husband and I love it. I replaced soy-free Veganaise with almond milk and a little bit of a coconut butter and the taste was amazing. I saved 2-3 Tbsp aioli for my red cabbage and carrots salad that I have for lunch today. The combination is really good.
Thank you Angela, for the great idea :)

77 Sarah October 16, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I just made these and they are amazing! Mine didn’t come out as pretty as yours, but they are really tasty and definitely my next potluck dish.

78 Ellen Harris October 16, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Angela, I made these last night and they were a huge hit with my entire family (which includes 2 teens and a preteen). So simple and so delicious! I have followed your blog for a while and, once hooked, I pre-ordered your book, which is excellent. Some things that have quickly become favorites in our house are your 10-spice vegetable soup with cashew cream and your chocolate chip cookie dough bars, which I modified slightly by adding some oats (from another comment I read). My kids insist that I keep a constant stock of the bars in the freezer! I also love your great ideas for bowls of all sorts. I really appreciate what you do and wish you the best! You have one lucky baby!!

79 Sam October 16, 2014

This would probably look (and taste) amazing with purple potatoes.

80 Meghan October 16, 2014
Recipe Rating:

these are freaking amazing. the only way i will ever eat potatoes…ever again! i didn’t have any vegenaise but i subbed a little cashew cream and it worked great. thank you!

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 21, 2014

Great sub! SO glad you enjoyed it. We can’t stop making it! hah.

82 Carina October 16, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I tried it today and loved it. Easy and delicious. My roommate liked it too.

83 Nic Mac October 16, 2014

Eeeeerm…..WOW!!!!

84 Jessica October 16, 2014

Thinking about making these for a potluck. Any ideas on how cutting the boiled potato in half before crushing would work to make more servings?

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 21, 2014

I cant see why you couldnt do that! Let me know if you try it out :)

86 Michelle @ Vitamin Sunshine October 16, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Incredible photos! That looks perfect for a cold evening. I definitely up my potato consumption this time of year– helps keep those serotonin levels up in a healthy way! The avocado drizzle is beautiful, but I think I would dump it on guacamole style :)

87 Karen October 16, 2014

These look amazing! The avocado aioli is such a great idea. I think it would go great on a lot of foods. These would definitely be a crowd pleaser and no one would guess that they are healthy! Can’t wait to try.

88 Kathy October 16, 2014

Just made these. DELICIOUS. I will definitely be making these again!

89 Holly October 16, 2014

Delicious!!!

90 Michelle October 16, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made these tonight as a side for tofu scramble, and OH MY were they delicious! My hubby and I both loved them!! I can see how you polished off the first batch, miraculously we managed to save some to take for lunch tomorrow! We already can’t wait to make them again!

91 Isadora @ she likes food October 16, 2014

I eat more potatoes than I would like to admit and am always looking for more delicious excuses to cook them! I love these smashed potatoes and that avocado aioli looks so delicious :) Avocados and potatoes are a great match!

92 Heather mason October 16, 2014

Oh my gosh, these look amazing! Crispy potatoes are the best and I love aioli! Can’t wait to make them!!

93 renee October 17, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made this Angela…. DELICIOUS!!! Awesome Friday night dinner. Hubby enjoyed it too.
grilled it at the end and used garlic and herb salt on the potato.
and put some basil into the avocado dressing
thanks from some content little Kiwis in NZ

94 shannon keough October 17, 2014
Recipe Rating:

These were delicious. And easy!

95 Oslofru October 17, 2014

Mmm yum! <3

96 Joy October 17, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I notice that lots of folks leave messages about how amazing the recipes sound or look. Let me tell you, I made these last night for my family of transitioning meat eating men with stuffed mushrooms and kale ceasar salad, and was told it was my best vegetarian meal yet! Better than french fries, mashed potatoes, and baked potatoes. We have three boys (4 yrs, 8 yrs, 12 yrs), who are self proclaimed chefs, who said they could have these with breakfast or lunch or dinner. Thanks so much. You are making this lifestyle change exciting and enjoyable for our whole family.

97 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2014

Hi Joy,

Your comment was a pleasure to read and I’m so happy that you and your family love this recipe. Good call on serving this with stuffed mushrooms and kale salad, I’ll have to try that.

98 Caitlin October 17, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Made these last night and they were delicious. Next time, I would smash the potatoes more than we did so that more of the potato got crispy as it baked. Very good!

99 neha October 17, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made these yesterday!!! So So good! The changes I made: Used a mix of small red, yellow and purple potatoes. And in the avocado sauce, used Greek yogurt instead of mayo since I didnt have it on hand. It turned out absolutely delish! I also added a bunch of cilantro to the sauce while blending it.
It reminded me of the potato-asparagus salad from your book. One of my favorites.

100 Cassie October 17, 2014

I may go home and make this immediately!

101 Liz October 17, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Hello, I made these last night and they were awesome!! Even the toddler liked them. I love when recipes are simple to make and quick to put together!

102 Autumn October 17, 2014

This recipe looks absolutely amazing! My only question-is there anything you can sub for vegan mayo? I don’t use it so don’t have it in the house and really would rather not buy it only for this recipe. Thank you! And thank you for your endless inspiration and down to earth writing, beautiful photography, and of course delicious dishes:)

103 Anne October 17, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Great comfort food for potato lovers. I used the homemade mayo that I had on hand (from Angela’s cookbook recipe). My fam is not big into potatoes (like I am) but they loved this. Beware, you are going to have the linger of yummy garlic after.

104 Lemira October 17, 2014

I’ve made these potatoes before, but I must try with the aioli. Looks so good!

105 Erica MM October 17, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I saw this recipe last night and thought- “YES!”

I struggled with deciding on a good main dish to serve it with, though. Ultimately, I decided that I wanted to roast some eggplant and zucchini in olive oil, then add them to a thick, garlicky marinara. I made a few brown rice noodles and served my boyfriend my take on spaghetti. The plate looked adorable with the pasta drowning in the thick, veggie-filled sauce, and the smashed red potato sitting innocently next to the whole mess.

The combination of the salty, crispy potato with the soft, flavorful vegetables and the powerful sauce was killer.

Thank you, Angela, for yet another wonderful meal.

106 Champix October 18, 2014

Looks a good yummy recipe but, healthy though…eager to try out.

107 Linda @ Veganosity October 18, 2014

It’s not even 9:00 am and I’m getting up to make these now. Thank you!!!

108 Aria Alpert Adjani October 18, 2014

I made these last night and thought I’d pre-boil the potatoes then, when we were ready for dinner, smash and roast them in the oven. Totally didn’t work out. I think it was because the potato wasn’t warm so they didn’t smash easily – completely fell apart actually. SO, I just wanted to comment and say don’t make the same mistake… ;)

109 Aimee October 24, 2014

Thank you for the warning! That sounds like something I would have totally done too.

110 Nikki October 18, 2014

just made with cashew cream in place of veganaise, delicious! Love them!

111 Isabelle October 18, 2014

Hi Angela, we just tried those last night and they were absolutely amazing!
Thank you for your good work and you are an inspiration.

112 Mintgreenapron October 18, 2014

These were so good!
I used olive oil with a touch of dijon mustard in place of the mayo and ilime instead of lemon and it made a beautiful and tasty drizzle.
Thanks for sharing this one!

113 Sarika October 18, 2014

We made these tonight – they were wonderful! Our potatoes were medium-sized and could have used more boiling time (more like 25-30 min). They were really difficult to smash (I used a potato masher). We corralled them into decent looking piles, but once baked, they came out perfect! Our 14-month old inhaled 2 of these!

114 Maya Horrocks October 18, 2014

We are currently making them and very excited to eat them! When we went to “smash” them, they didn’t hold together. We’d love to make these again, thoughts on why that may have happened? Cooked too long? Not long enough?

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 21, 2014

Hi Maya, Yes this is normal for them to fall apart a bit – not to worry!

116 Kari @ Cooking with Toddlers October 18, 2014

These look so amazing! I can’t wait to try them out this week!

117 Brittany October 19, 2014

This is the perfect recipe for the upcoming holidays! Thanks for sharing! I can’t wait to try it!

118 Tabby October 19, 2014

Made these last night and they were awesome….I didn’t change a thing. Wonderful blog and wonderful recipes! :)

119 Marjie October 19, 2014

These look fabulous. Any suggestions of a main dish that would pair well with them – when they are devoured straight out of the oven? ;)

120 Bre October 19, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Just made these for my boyfriend and myself. So freaking easy, and my taste-buds still love me even hours later!!! So so so so sooooooo yummy!!!!!

121 Veganopoulous October 20, 2014

I’ve only recently made squashed potatoes and I love them, love those crispy bits. The aioli looks divine and perfectly matched!

122 Laura October 20, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made these on Saturday and they are wonderful! Thanks for the recipe.

123 Jenna October 20, 2014
Recipe Rating:

When I saw these I wanted to make them straight away! I made them tonight for my omni family and everyone loved them – they’ll be made again!

124 Paula October 20, 2014

These look so good!! I am living in Spain for the year and trying to find new things to cook with the different foods available, and let me tell you they have potatoes here! I just bought a food processor, lived 2 months without it and it was tough since I am a gluten and corn free vegan…need it! I also was just suggested your cooking book on Amazon.es! Made me happy, thought it might make you happy too! I love your recipes, they inspire me when I am feeling frustrated. Thanks…these potatoes are so happening.

125 Maribel Cota {Bruni's Boulangerie} October 20, 2014

I Just find your Blog Angela. It’s amazing! I’m your fan now.
The recipe looks soooo yummy especially for the Avocado Garlic Alioli. Definitely I’ll try it!

126 Emily October 20, 2014

Hey Angela,

Congrats on your little baby!!! I am so happy for you! I’ve been reading your blog since 2009, and I’m so glad to have been a little part of your journey as a faithful reader.

Did you see that your blog is mentioned in one of the first few pages of this month’s Glamour?? One of those famous models (Karlie Kloss, maybe?) mentions your blog as one of her favourites.

-Emily

127 Kati @Detox Your Life October 20, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made these tonight and they were so delicious! My husband loved them! Kati

128 CycleAZLindyB October 20, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Made these last night…they were AWESOME and will be going into our regular dinner idea rotation!! YUM!

129 Sherrie October 20, 2014
Recipe Rating:

An amazing side dish. Family totally loved it. Thanks.

130 Nicole S. October 20, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made these last night for my family and they were amazing! Even my 12 year old son who is a picky eater ate everything, including the avocado aioli.
This recipe is a keeper!
Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful, inspiring recipes.
You are remarkable!

131 Beth October 20, 2014

I just made these and they were amazing!! You are such an inspiration:) Love all your recipes <3

132 Hilary October 20, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Love this recipe! Just made these potatoes and the avocado garlic aoli and it was so amazing, can’t wait to make them again! Love the flavors! :D

133 Sophia October 21, 2014

These were amazing! My boyfriend got all creative and added additional “toppings” to some of the potatoes before rosting, like capers, vegan cheese shreds… I think we will have fun trying these with different toppings depending on what we’re serving them with, although they were perfect on their own already! Thank you!
Oh and congratulations on your little baby girl!

134 Lara October 21, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I used Red Viking Potatoes. Beautiful and Amazing! This recipe is a new family favorite! I love your website. :o) Thanks for all of the great ideas! The gluten free gooey pumpkin chocolate cake is in the oven as I type….can’t wait!

135 Joan October 21, 2014

Just thought I would add .. for so many people who think this recipe looks good but haven’t given it a try yet … I am passing on “Awesome” from my daughter and from a friend who both tried it. Great website, now one our favourites.

136 Trish October 21, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Well I hope you’re happy! Because of this recipe I will never be able to eat potatoes any other way! These morsels of crunchy, fluffy and utterly delectable flavor was superb. I can take or leave potatoes, but these bundles I’ll never be able to resist … never.
My aioli turned out thick, like the consistency of sour cream, so I wasn’t able to drizzle it over the potatoes, but who am I kidding? This stuff was to die for so I wasn’t unhappy that I had to dollop the stuff over the potatoes in mounds ;)
This dish will grace our table at Thanksgiving and many times prior and after. Thanks for an amazing, simple and DELICIOUS recipe … even though you’re on my bad books for posting this ;)

137 Clara October 22, 2014

Hi I’ve just made it, super yummy. I didn’t add salt to the roasted potato and less for the sauce. I might use less vegan mayonnaise next time.

But overall smashing ( no pun intended ) recipe. I use a low GI potato Carisma and had it with steamed sweetcorn and a salad. Hit the spot.

It’s spring here in Australia and this recipe is a winner. I can do it on a BBQ and do it with vegetable kebabs I think.

138 Sarah Van Gils October 22, 2014
Recipe Rating:

This recipe was AMAZING! My 4 year old completely smashed it! I didn’t give her the aioli because she doesn’t like garlic but before the meal she said she didn’t want it and after I convinced her to eat it she ate the whole thing and asked me to make it again! Mum and hubby loved it too, served it up with rocket, cos, red capsicum and coriander from the garden with avocado oil dressing on the salad. Delicious!!

139 Julie October 22, 2014
Recipe Rating:

We took your advice and made this right now! It is incredible!!!! Oh these potatoes – how did I ever think of cooking potatoes any other way? Angela, your recipes are so fabulous, every one more unique and delicious than the amazing one before! :)

140 Kelly October 22, 2014

I am embarrassed to ask this but here goes: When you say ‘roast’, do you mean ‘bake’? My oven has bake & broil……and I have never roasted anything unless, it’s another word for baked. Excuse my ignorance & yes, you can all giggle.

141 Leslie October 22, 2014

Awesome recipe, as usual, Angela. I have a comment regarding your website, actually. I use my iPhone to follow recipes from your blog. When I click the little bars in the upper left corner so the page is easier to read, the ingredient list always goes away! I can see the ingredient list on the normal page view though, but since it’s on my phone, it’s always so hard to read. This used to happen on my 4s and it s stl happening on my iPhone 6. Weird, anyway, I love your recipes and will keep making them even though the phone makes it a challenge!

142 Jennifer October 22, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Made these tonight with pan seared sea scallops and roasted Brussels sprouts. I used smallish red potatoes and they turned out fabulous! Just a perfect side dish! Absolutely yummy!

143 Jennifer October 22, 2014

Oh and p.s. The aioli turned out thick, as someone above mentioned above, so I spooned it into a sandwich bag, snipped the corner off and piped it out onto the potatoes and it worked out really well and easy clean up! :)

144 Sara October 23, 2014

Whoa. I must make these. Soon. Thanks for the brilliant idea!

145 SMDNY October 24, 2014

Making these tonight – yum! Suggest you adjust the recipe cook time – the potatoes from start to finish are more like 50-60 minutes (20 min boiling + 10 min cooling + 25 min in the oven). Thanks for a great recipe!

146 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2014

Glad you like the recipe! Thank you for noticing that, it has been adjusted.

147 Dina October 25, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made these for dinner tonight, and they were amazing! My husband, my 4-year-old, and I all had seconds – we loved them! I did not have a ripe avocado so I substituted guacamole. I think that gave them a bit more zing than the original… so I tried to calm it down a bit with some olive oil. If you have been thinking about making these, and haven’t yet, DO IT!

148 Linda October 25, 2014

We enjoyed this tonight – with a side of your veggie chili which we served on Friday Family Night! It was awesome! Who would eat potatoes any other way after this. Delicious – crispy, as promised and the avocado aoili was fabulous. My husband says, “Our stomachs thank you!”

149 Olga October 26, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I love how simple this recipe is yet the result is a gourmet side dish. I was surprised how delicious the aioli turned out. I made it with a regular mayo and I did find it a bit too thick ( husband didn’t) next time I might add a bit of olive oil.

150 Kate October 26, 2014

Loved this! Made for dinner tonight, used sweet potatoes instead and still turned out great! the Bf couldn’t get enough of the sauce!

151 Wendy October 27, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Wonderful tea adventure ….hope you add a second cookbook!!! And congrats on beautiful baby girl!!!

152 Julie October 27, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Made the potatoes last night, & they were a hit w/ the whole fam!

153 Cara October 27, 2014
Recipe Rating:

These were fabulous! We added some of our ghost pepper in the aioli to spice it up and couldnt stop eating these. Thanks for another great recipe

154 Nancy October 27, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Yum!! My husband and I have made these twice now. We devour them within minutes after they come out of the oven!

155 Karen October 27, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made this recipe last night and it was fabulous! Well done. I use your cookbook all the time and usually have it out on my island since I use it so much.

156 gumnut 57 October 27, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Hi made these yesterday and they were amazingly delicious! didn’t have Yukons but baby reds straight from farm and they worked very well. thanks for the recipe this will be on my christmas menu this year!

157 Kara October 27, 2014

Hi Angela
I recently made this recipe and like you said, it was quickly devoured. Excellent recipe, especially the avocado aioli. My teenage boys who aren’t keen on avocado, loved the aioli I used half of the amount of vegan mayonnaise and increased the amount of the avocado. So delicious. Keep creating, I look forward to my weekly e-mails from you

158 melli October 27, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Truly delicious! We love your recipes. Can’t wait to try your teas, as well as purchase your cookbook!

159 Nick Deck October 27, 2014

Holy moly! This is a must try!

160 Eva October 28, 2014

Sooo good

161 Ruth Bush October 28, 2014

I made these a couple of nights ago… my husband and I loved them! Crispy and filling for dinner. We cooked some spinach with earth balance butter and more garlic which was a nice compliment. Thanks for the easy dinner idea:)

162 stephanie October 28, 2014

Made these last night for a dinner with my mom and niece. My mother told me they were the most delicious food she had ever eaten and took my print out of the recipe :) They are so easy and really are amazing, thanks for this recipe everything was perfect!

163 becky hutner October 28, 2014

these are an especially good idea for a california thanksgiving. and for my potato-loving british husband. thanks always for the inspiration!

164 East Meets West Veg October 29, 2014

Yum yum yum!!

165 Javonne October 29, 2014

Cannot wait to get out of class to make this! YUM!!!

166 Roxy October 29, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Yum! I made these last night to go with a dinner salad and was very happy with the result! So easy but something I never would have thought of on my own. I haven’t found any vegan mayo I like so I just put in a bit of olive oil with the avo along with the rest of the ingredients and the aioli turned out great! Thanks so much for the recipe!

167 Alex October 30, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Thanks for sharing. I must try

168 Manda October 30, 2014

I have never been able to make a great side of potatoes to add to dinner and this recipe just killed it! Super easy and they are absolutely delicious! They don’t last nearly long enough! Thank you!!!!

169 Moksha October 31, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made this and it was absolutely delicious…the combo of the crispy portions of the potato and the smooth avocado creation was excellent. I will definitely make it again. I didn’t have parsley so served it with cilantro which worked very well.

170 Yaeh November 1, 2014

Oh my goodness, this looks like potato heaven!

171 Melissa November 2, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I cooked these tonight and even my sauce hating teen LOVED them! I’m already craving more! The whole fam devoured them!
What do you do with the leftover sauce? I have a lot leftover and I don’t want to through it out so what do you do with the leftovers? Besides cooking more potatoes?!

172 William Rivas-Rivas November 4, 2014
Recipe Rating:

This recipe was not only super simple to make, it was also delicious!

173 Jessica November 4, 2014
Recipe Rating:

This aioli is sooo yummy and SO easy to make!! I will definitely be using this on everything!

174 Melanie November 5, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Yes, i did them asap and it was delicious. Told my kids they were “special fries”, they loved it too!

175 kristiana November 5, 2014

seriously, i love you and your recipes .. :) xo

176 Susan November 6, 2014

What temperature do you use to roast the potatoes?

177 Samantha November 7, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Made these tonight and we were in heaven. Wonderful! Next potluck I go to I will bring these at room temperature instead of potato salad. Thank you for this! I usually only make your desserts but im going to try out some savory stuff now too!

178 Lili November 8, 2014

So excited! I am making these for a neighborhood wine tasting party. The theme is German wines so I thought this would go perfectly. I will let you know how it went.

179 Nicole November 9, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made these last night and they’re delicious! I’ll be making them more and more now that I know how easy they are to make!

180 Karin November 10, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Yep! Made ’em. They’re really great.

181 Kim November 11, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I just made the avocado garlic aioli and drizzled it over a veggie pizza (without cheese). It was delicious. Can’t wait to try it on the potatoes.

182 Stacy Barnett November 12, 2014

Do you think it would work to use baby potatoes and make this into an appetizer?

183 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2014

I cant see why not :)

184 Carmen November 12, 2014

My aioli wasn’t the smoothest but omg my new favorite way to make potatoes!

185 Carmen November 12, 2014

5 stars oh yeah

186 Ally November 14, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Yummy! Had these for dinner and used very ripe bananas with some olive oil instead of veganmayo (for those on a more natural route/don’t like them). It came out AMAZING.
Making these more often!

187 Zilia November 15, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I had some dinner guests over tonight and make these… Even my 8 year old LOVED the avocado-aioli. Yum yum yum.
Huge hit, thank you!

188 karenhappycook November 16, 2014

I tried it and this is a great recipe!

189 Bella Green November 17, 2014

Crispy potatoes with creamy avocado. This is the ultimate in deliciousness! Yum.

190 Cindy November 22, 2014
Recipe Rating:

These were delicious and turned out just like your photos which always makes you feel so accomplished! The avocado aioli sauce is just out of this world.

191 Vanessa Cisneros November 24, 2014

Making these for Thanksgiving ! :) yumm

192 Felip November 25, 2014

This recipe looks amazing. I plan on making it as an appetizer for a Thanksgiving potluck but not sure on how to maintain the potatoes’ crispiness during transit (45 mins or so). Any suggestions? I would use the oven at the house I’d be going to, but I’m afraid it might be occupied by a roasting turkey.

193 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2014

I dont think they will stay crisp in transit unfortunately. I think a good reheat for at least 10-15 mins in the oven might help though.

194 Felip November 25, 2014

Oh I see. Can the aioli be stored without being affected by the avocado?

Thank you!

195 Natalie November 25, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made these last night and they were everything they promised to be. The texture combination of the crispy potato and the creamy aioli were sent from heaven, and the flavours were spot on, perfectly balanced. Everything was perfect. 5 stars Angela!!

If you haven’t tried it already, get onto it ASAP!

196 Crystal November 25, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I just made these for my husband and I as an appetizer but they ended up becoming the main course because they were so delicious we ate all of them! These are awesome!

197 Jasmine November 29, 2014
Recipe Rating:

This is a beautiful recipe. The potatoes were crispy and a bit salty however I’d leave those potatoes in the dirt if I had to choose between them and the garlic aioli. Luckily, I am not forced to choose. Brava Angela!

198 Connie Dula November 30, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Oh my heavens~!!!! These were delicious. I ate two. This is definitely a must make and I can see where I will be making them more and more in the future. This was my first time making aioli – so simple – thank you for this recipe!

199 Lynn December 2, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Thank you for this fun-to-eat dish! I used small potatoes and they were perfect for a wholesome snack! My daughter Adrienne is vegan, so we have tried many amazing meatless dishes this year! We included these potatoes in our first vegan Thanksgiving dinner along with your lentil loaf & cranberry-pear sauce. Loved loved loved them all! Happy holidays to you and your family!

200 Kelly December 3, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Wow made these last night, big hit! Thanks.

201 lynne December 4, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made these last night (gave you credit on instagram). As I said there, they were SOOOOO good, that I got up half way through eating them to start a second batch (knowing they take about an hour). DELICIOUS!!

202 Maia December 9, 2014
Recipe Rating:

these are literally amazing… make them asap

203 Debby H. December 10, 2014
Recipe Rating:

OH MY GOSH! Is this woman a good cook or WHAT?! This is by far one of the best recipes I have tried in a while. Who knew vegan could taste this good?! My husband and I gobbled them down at warp speed and I will definitely make them again and again.

204 gabby December 11, 2014

hey!!!! is the avocado garlic aioli hard to make? this is so good, so happy i found this page

205 Jessica Johnson December 11, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Just made this. I used russet potatoes (that I scrubbed down) and regular mayo. It is beyond delicious! Thanks so much for this recipe. I have aioli left so I’ll be forced to make more potatoes right now. Lol

206 Alex December 15, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Alot of women commenteing here! Thought i would even things out a bit, this is tasty!

207 Lyndsey December 16, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I tried these and my God they are out of this world! So simple, but so tasty. At my local Goodness, Me! they were out of regular veganaise, so I grabbed the chipotle version and it was so darn good!

Keep doing what you’re doing, because it’s fantastic. Whenever I’m in a food rut I just pop buy here and I get excited to try everything you post.

208 Ariana December 16, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I finally got around to making these last night and they were DELICIOUS! I used yukon gold, red and purple potatoes. My aioli was quite thick but I will definitely be making them again!

209 Aubrienne December 20, 2014

These look amazing! I can’t wait to make them for Christmas dinner! …i know it says serve immediately…is there any way of making them the night before and still having them be just as good/presentable the next day??

210 Zoë December 24, 2014

that…. aioli… oh my god.

211 Barb December 26, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Wow! Thanks for another great recipe Angela! I made these for Christmas dinner and they were a hit. These were very easy to make and the flavor was amazing.

Thanks for sharing your recipes with us!

212 Jill December 26, 2014

I made these last night for a vegan, gluten free Christmas dinner. You were right they flew off the plate. Good thing I have still have more yukon gold’s to make it again tonight! My husband hates “anything” healthy and loved them!! My vegan guests were very impressed and they were so easy to make! Love your recipes. I also make your lentil walnut loaf and best kale salad. Very delicious! Thanks!

213 Sara December 28, 2014
Recipe Rating:

My family devoured these for our Christmas dinner today! Soooooo delicious! Thank you! They will be a staple now on in my kitchen!

214 Sara December 29, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I’ve made these twice now and can I just tell you that EVERYONE LOVES THEM! Obsessed really :). Easy to make, even easier to devour. Can’t wait to have them again soon

215 Alice December 29, 2014

Any suggestions for what to serve with this recipe to make it a dinner?

216 Amar December 30, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made these for the holidays for my family and they loved it! Awesome recipe!

217 Jen December 30, 2014

Husband and I made these tonight (we had to, they looked AMAZING!) They were absolutely amazing and delicious and wonderful and perfect! I am so stuffed right now, but completely ok with it as they were totally worth it. These will be a mainstay in our menus from now on!

218 Molly December 31, 2014
Recipe Rating:

My boyfriend and I just made these for dinner and I quote “whoa. We are making these potatoes every night for dinner”. So good!

219 TJ Rodriguez January 1, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Another amazing dish! I’ve made this dish at least 5 or 6 times since Thanksgiving! Yum!

220 Abigail January 3, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Haha, this will make you laugh!! I made this for my family and in my sleepy, Christmas-Day-Haze, read “one or two cloves of garlic” as “one or two bulbs of garlic”. I put 10 cloves in instead of one, but it still got completely eaten and admired!

I’m going to make it again with the *right* amount of garlic, thanks so much for the recipe!!

221 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2015

LOL!! So funny, glad it was still enjoyed!

222 Bev January 4, 2015

I’m trying desperately to get a photo of this recipe into my recipe app/meal planner and I can’t drag it over. I use Pepperplate (it’s on the web and is also an app) and I like to put the photo with the recipe. Any suggestions? Thanks! These look delicious and I can’t wait to make them.

223 Julia Percia David January 5, 2015

OMG. I just made this amazing version of potatoes and I need to say this the best I ever taste in my life! It was yummy and super filling! I made a red cabbage salad with it and it was just perfect! I am pretty sure it’s gonna be a regular dish at home!

224 Stephanie January 6, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Excellent! The texture of the potatoes was out of this world. Everyone else loved the aioli. It was great but a little too mayonaise-y for me. Yes, I realize aioli is a mayo condiment but I don’t like mayo. The taste is weird to me.
Any suggestions for a mayo sub? I saw someone suggest banana above but am wondering if there’s something else I could use that would not effect the flavor profile? Would a splash of non-dairy milk thin it too much?

225 Ellie January 7, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I did try them but the result wasent as good as i thought it would be. The potatoes dident hava that crispy feeling i was looking for. And they turned out very dry. The Aioli wasent tasty either. Not my thing.

226 Sue January 8, 2015
Recipe Rating:

These are sooooooo good! My husband has asked for them to be part of his birthday menu! Thanks once again for an amazing dish!

227 Nicole January 9, 2015

Did you use a squeezy bottle to put the aioli on the potatoes in the pictures? Is the consistency pretty thick? I am going to make these to bring to a dinner tonight, trying to figure out how to serve with the aioli.

228 Rachel L January 9, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Chew and I made these for the Christmas party we hosted this past December and they were devoured! We made tons of the avocado aioli and ate it with crackers like guacamole; it was delicious like that too! I loved the smashed potatoes so much I made them again for Christmas morning breakfast and my parents were sad to hear I didn’t make extra. Thanks for the fantastic recipe, I don’t think I’ll be eating my potatoes any other way now.

229 Elizabeth January 10, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I included a link to this recipe in my Christmas newsletter. Yea, this recipe is that good. Thanks for sharing this so I could share it with more!

230 Gabriele January 11, 2015

I hope this (late) message reaches you. Even if I read your posts often, I missed this one. Please leave the peels of the potatoes away!!! They are poison! Scientists found out. I’ll try to find information on Internet and will send to you, but I fear they are in German. – All the best, Gabriele.

231 Gabriele January 11, 2015

“Solanin” (German) is part of the peels.

232 kate January 11, 2015
Recipe Rating:

What a great way to make patatos more exciting.They are the best. My boyfriend loves them. I’m making them again tonight

233 Karin January 13, 2015

I mixed the leftover aioli with chunky mashed chickpeas & ate on toast. So good! Next time I will try to go lighter on the mayo and heavier on the avocado.

234 Erika January 13, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I have been wanting to try these for a while and finally made them last night. I used butter potatoes. They were a huge hit! Easy to make (although obviously takes time) but the presentation is fancy. Reheated well and made for a great lunch today! Will definitely make again.

235 C. Fruity January 14, 2015

Hey! Thanks for this recipe! I am new to blogging, new to the vegan life, and new to cooking too! So fun short recipes like this make me happy :) And, looking at the ingredients list, I have everything but the avocado and the soy free vegan mayo. Is there a reason it should be soy free? Looking forward to trying these!

236 Natalia January 14, 2015
Recipe Rating:

So crispy and delicious! I didn’t have vegan mayonnaise so I used a little bit of almond milk instead, but it didn’t make too much of a difference as far as I could tell. Even my mom, who NEVER likes my vegan recipes, had two potatoes! Thanks for another awesome recipe!

237 MoHawk @ thewinterbeard January 19, 2015

These are delicious. Very easy and loved by adults and children in my house. Thanks!

238 Chantelle Brown January 19, 2015
Recipe Rating:

These are Incredible!!!! The only thing I would have do differently next time is make more. I wound up making more that same night so that we could take leftovers for lunch. They were super crispy & when topped with the avocado aoli they were mind blowing. One does not need to be vegan to appreciate these-they will be a hit with just about everyone (which is why i had to immediately make more). I think this is my new favorite side dish. I wish I could paste an extra star in the reviews to give it 6 out of 5 stars.

239 Janelle January 19, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Made this recipe for my 3rd week of the Whole 30. Since soy is out during the Whole 30, I subbed the vegan mayo for softened canned organic pure coconut milk, and added it 1tbsp and a time until I got the right flavor and consistency. Absolutely loved it! Definitely adding this recipe to my list of all-time favorites!

240 Charlotte January 19, 2015

I just made this. Yummo! Yes, they will enter regular rotation. Thank you!

241 eliseroseblogs January 24, 2015

these look AMAZING

242 Natalie January 28, 2015

These look amazing! I am making them now to go with a pumpkin sage butternut squash soup. Can’t wait to see how everything turns out!! Woohoo!

243 Natalie January 28, 2015
Recipe Rating:

** update- I made these and they are OUTSTANDING!!!

244 Minka bug January 29, 2015

Do you know if (or think) these freeze well? Minus the avocado aioli?

245 Lisa January 30, 2015

Made these yesterday, and your “Perfect veggie burgers”. Tasted delicious! The burgers are so far the most jummy veggie-burgers I’ve had since going vegetarian! Thank you for sharing all the lovely recepies! I look forward to try more of them. Feel so lucky to have stumbled upon your blogg!
Have a nice weekend.
Lisa (Norway)

246 Megan S. January 31, 2015
Recipe Rating:

every time I’ve made this recipe it’s been a hit! I always make it as a side, but everyone says it’s their favorite part of the meal. So next time, I just might make it the main dish.

247 Alivia Recht February 1, 2015
Recipe Rating:

These look amazing! And really quite simple. I’m having a small house party tomorrow for the Super Bowl and I’m definitely going to make these. I’m probably going to double it though. Thank you for the amazing recipe!

248 Kelly February 1, 2015
Recipe Rating:

These were amazing. So easy too. I can’t wait to make them again.

249 Megan February 2, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I made this a week or so ago, and it was AMAZING. I ended up accidentally making a lot of avocado aioli, which was great because it kept really well in a jar for pretty much the whole week. I put it on everything!

250 Vicki February 3, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Made these tonight…not nearly enough…ate mine fast so wasn’t “able” to share with my kids. Devine.

251 Stefanie February 5, 2015

OMG, these are SOOO good! I find myself making this dish over and over again. It is delishious with the avocado ailoli but it’s also VERY good with the sauce from the “cheeszy kale chips”. I had leftover sauce last weekend so I just served it alonside the potatoes. My husband, however, inhales them without ANY sauce at all. He sais they’re so good on their own he does not want to spoil the natural taste. Well, to each his own, right?

252 Kerry February 8, 2015
Recipe Rating:

My kids and I polished these off in 5 minutes watching the SuperBowl. Thank you!

253 Roxanne February 10, 2015

Good grief, that looks incredible! Sorry if someone’s asked this previously – could I sub plain soy yoghurt for the vegan mayo, do you think?

254 Anna February 19, 2015

Hi dear. Thanks for the lovely recipe ^^. But I am wondering, cloves of garlic is that a bulb or just a single? There seems to be confusion even on the internet.

255 Mildred February 22, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Just consumed test batch. Verdict’s still out. I’d better make another.

256 Stephanie February 24, 2015
Recipe Rating:

These potatoes are so yummy and easy to make. I made these with purple potatoes and it looked absolutely stunning with the bright green avocado aioli drizzled on. Thank you for the wonderful recipe this has been a big hit with my family!

257 Shireen February 26, 2015

I just made these with some baby red potatoes and got about 15 out of it. I also added some smoked paprika to the aioli for a little kick. Delicious!

258 EnglishGirl March 1, 2015

These look absolutely amazing! I will be trying them out tomorrow at dinner :) I have always wanted to go Vegan but have found it really hard in the past – you are definitely inspiring me with these delicious recipes.

259 Kim March 1, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I made these, and they were easy and delicious! A big hit with my husband and picky daughter! (She didn’t eat the “green stuff” but loved the potatoes!) My avocado wasn’t quite ripe enough so I had to add a tiny bit of water, but it was still excellent! Thanks for the great recipe!

260 aca March 3, 2015

I can eat potatoes all the time, i love it! Thanks for shar.ng.

261 Andrea March 4, 2015

Angela, these were AB FAB! My husband gushed over them and appreciated the fun change up on the usual side. Your cookbook arrived on my doorstep today. I’m looking forward to diving deep and getting my cook on. Thanks for your great work making beautiful and delicious vegan recipes.

262 Catie Sheeran March 8, 2015
Recipe Rating:

The Avocado garlic aioli was sooo good that my boyfriend was eating it right out of the bowl! I was afraid he was going to eat it all before we got to try on our potatoes! The potatoes and the sauce were sooo delicious we ate it all in one sitting. Thank you so much for this recipe. I am thinking about using it for a first vegan Easter dinner with family :)

263 kate March 14, 2015

Those are truly amazing. So crunchy. My finance loves them especially the sause.

264 Dannie March 18, 2015

Definitely trying this but with plantains instead of the potatoes…..YUMMY!!!!

265 Melissa Westerfield March 24, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I just made this tonight for my family! I was a big hit! Every one loved it, even my sister who thought vegan food was nasty! Thanks for all your recipes! This week we are going to make your vegan tacos, and your vegan bowl! Oh and blueberry muffins and the fruit kabobs! Yum!

266 Lois March 28, 2015

I am definitely going to try this! Love your vegan recipes, comments, photos, and your delight in sharing them. Making your lasagna with cashew cheese for family tomorrow. My husband and I teach Healthy Lifestyle, so your recipes and site will be shared with many! Thanks, thanks, thanks.

267 Sarah March 28, 2015

I love all your recipes, but just made this one tonight and OMG were they good!!!!! I am NOT a mayo person (veganaise or not) but my husband keeps organic mayonnaise for sandwiches, so used that. It was so delicious, I couldn’t stop eating them!

268 Molly Campbell March 28, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Delicious recipe! I liked the results of cutting the potatoes in half and then smashing them. It was a bit thinner for the roasting process which resulted in a bit more crispiness.

269 christine March 31, 2015
Recipe Rating:

What a lovely idea – two of my favourite things, roasted type potato and avodado:)

270 Maria Ionescu April 3, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Thank you so much, Angela, for this amazingly yummy still super easy recepie!! This became my boyfriend’s favourite weekend meal. Thank you for inspiring us and make us eat so much healthy with your super recepies >:D<!

271 Kennedy April 19, 2015

I made these, and they were delicious! The avocado aioli I actually made without the Veganaise (because I’m a poor college student lool!) and it was delicious!
The only problem I had was I boiled the potatoes for 30 min, not tender, then 45, not tender, then a little more, and I could not get them to smash?? It’s still delicious with cooked potato and the aioli but I was just wondering if there were any tips or maybe I did something wrong? Anyway, great recipe!
Thanks

272 Ann June 17, 2015

Maybe the size of the potatoes? High altitude? And sometimes I find organic potatoes and sweet potatoes can take longer. Don’t know why!

273 Johanne April 20, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Hi there! Absolutely fantastic recipe. I loved it so much I bot your cookbook, but couldn’t find this recipe in it?

274 Robert April 22, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Tried this recipe, spent the better part of 4 hours on it. Invested over $30.00 gathering the organic ingredients. By the time I was finished I was so starving I ordered a pepperonni pizza which was 1,000 times more tasty and only took 20 minutes to come to my door. So lesson learned I suppose.

275 Ash May 4, 2015

What do you suggest serving with the potatoes as an entree? They look amazing!

276 Michelle May 14, 2015
Recipe Rating:

These were fantastic. My family gobbled up I the first batch right away and I had to make a second batch and hen they finished those as well. Thank you for a great recipe

277 Megan May 16, 2015

I made these last night as opposed to my regular potato fries, and they were amazing. Crisped up nicely without oil. Thanks Angela

278 Stacey May 16, 2015

I keep coming back to this and have yet to get on it! I must act soon on this deliciousness!

279 Catherine May 25, 2015

What do you recomend if I don’t own a food processor? Will the sauce still be ok if I just blend the ingredients?

280 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 26, 2015

Hi Catherine,

I’m not sure as I have not tried it in a blender. My guess the sauce would be difficult to blend since there is not a lot of liquid in it. You can certainly give it a shot!

281 Josefin Thor July 3, 2015

Just useing fork would be fine. Crush the garlic in a garlic crusher, and mash the avocado with a fork. Them just keep mixing in the mayo and lemon juice. Shouldn’t be an issue at all, as long as the avocado is ripe.

282 Grace June 2, 2015

I tried to smash the potatoes however it shot across the room haha!
How did you smash them?
x

283 Luna von Eisenhart Rothe June 9, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Wow, Angela, thank you for this life-saving potato recipe! The potatoes are so easy to make and their crust is as delicious as crispy chicken skin – back in the days when I was still eating meat… ;-) I’m sure the avocado-mayonnaise is yummy as well, but I never tried it out, because I fancy my own dips and homemade ketchup… BUT I have never eaten so many potatoes in my life like since I found this recipe! So Thank you again – you rock! :-)

284 Ann June 17, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Best Potatoes I’ve ever had In My Life!!?

285 Melissa June 28, 2015
Recipe Rating:

OMG amaaaaazing. Had leftover aoli – will be coating anything I can find in this delicious sauce

286 Josefin Thor July 3, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Oh, these were lovely, and I made mine extra garlickey!
Of course they weren’t as pretty as your pictures (mine had a big glob of avocado mayo on them), but goodness, they were delicious.
Having them tomorrow again, as I still have a whole lot of that avo.mayo left. Maybe with some BBQ-tofu tomorrow!

287 Alyssa July 15, 2015

Wow! This is genius! Making it for dinner!!!!

I am contemplating/about to begin a vegan diet. I was at first afraid because the first things that comes to mind is “I’m going to starve! Can only eat veggies, fruit, nuts, beans and grains!” But wow, I am more excited than ever now! I couldn’t go wrong with a single one for these recipes!

288 Allie Folkema July 17, 2015

Really excited to try this recipe tonight up at the lake! Now my only question is..what else would you serve with this? I would like to incorporate it as a part of meal rather than an appetizer or entrée. Do you have any suggestions?

289 susie July 25, 2015

Can you prepare these ahead of time? Both the potatoes and the aioli? If so, what would the process be? Thank you.

290 Michelle July 25, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I just made it and it was marvelous. Thank you so much

291 Daniela July 31, 2015
Recipe Rating:

This looks amazing, I’m making them now!

292 bristol plasterers August 4, 2015

Top marks for this. Tastes great. Thanks for sharing.

Simon

293 LOIS August 5, 2015

These looks awesome! Cannot wait to make them in a couple of days when my daughter comes to visit. Was looking for something a little different, I usually just roast my potatoes for my vegan daughter, I know she will love these as will I and the rest of my family.

294 Kayla August 7, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Just tried this recipe, but oh my goodness, DELICIOUS! I am not an expert cook by any means, so this recipe was perfect and easy to follow :) My boyfriend, who is probably the furthest thing you can get from a vegan, loved them too! Definitely will be making these again.

295 ActionmsJackson August 13, 2015
Recipe Rating:

The best possible way to cook potatoes, which, considering the many possibilities of cooking the humble spud, is saying something!!

Couldn’t get hold of vegan mayo at short notice but added a little soya cream (not the sweetened variety) instead. Thought it would be good to mention as a few of the above posts asked about mayo replacement. Works a treat, makes the avocado alioli drizzle-able. If thats a word….

Will be cooking these again for sure :)

296 Jessica August 13, 2015

These look amazing!!! Can’t wait to try them!

297 Sarah August 18, 2015

Did you receive feedback on any substitutes for veganaise? I was thinking tahini?

298 Desiree August 25, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Just made this with pork tenderloin. YUM!!

299 Wally August 26, 2015
Recipe Rating:

This looks awesome! I need a new high rotation dish and have to try this one soon!

300 Cathy September 2, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I just have to say this recipe has become a staple at my house. We make these for breakfast to go with eggs or as a side dish for dinner. It never ever fails to please. So good, thanks for sharing!

301 Celestial September 2, 2015

HI! I hope you get this and can respond… I am also pretty sure you’ve been asked before.
Why is there no nutrition info on your recipes? Is there a calorie range? I understand the idea of eating for satiation etc, but my concern is that when one is designing a fat loss diet, certain parameters are usually established so there is less guess work as a body adapts…?
What do you think?

302 Valerie September 10, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I just made these and they were amazing! I used a regular “masher” to smush the potatoes and it made a lot more crunchy edges.

303 Nathalie September 15, 2015

Can anyone recommend what to have these with?

304 Kristin September 17, 2015
Recipe Rating:

These are absolutely delicious!!! I am a complete potato fiend, so I chose this as the first recipe to try off your site :) . Nowadays, these are quite possibly one of my favorite ways to eat them! I I have made them a couple of times, and they are splendid each time!

305 Candace September 24, 2015
Recipe Rating:

SO GOOD!! Having really bad food allergies lately and was looking for something gluten free and dairy free and but free and this hit my cravings so well. Thank you thank you thank you.

306 Monica September 30, 2015

how long does the aioli last? Since it has avocado does it need to be used within a certain time period before it goes brown?

307 Karen October 18, 2015
Recipe Rating:

How did you get your potatoes to be so thin? Did you cut them in half and then smash them? I smashed mine and they’re ginormous! I can’t wait to bite into them!!

308 Jessica October 26, 2015

Just came across this and these look so yummy! I feel like you could also make these appetizer/bite sized by cutting the potato into large square chunks, boil them, then mash them with a fork and roast as usual (although you may have to cut the roasting time down), and drizzle away. Have never tried it, but was liking the idea of making these a bite-size version.

309 Amena October 28, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I have made these twice now and they were a hit both times! I had to use off brand Miracle Whip this last time and I must say the aioli is better with the Veganaise. I served these with Korean BBQ chicken and roasted asparagus. Definitely a keeper.

310 jennifer November 7, 2015

A question,

Can you make these ahead of time, Drive an hour to a party and heat up and serve?
Or is it best to pick another recipe?

311 Judi November 8, 2015

Hi, I am in the process of making these right now and can’t find the temp. to bake them at?
Am I blind?? please help!

312 Robin November 11, 2015

450

313 Nik November 18, 2015
Recipe Rating:

So delicious, thank you for the recipe!!

I substituted the Veganaise with Soy Yogurt, since vegan mayo is not available where I live and it worked just fine. I almost regret not buying two avocados, b/c it is so yummy!

314 Dannah Hartsock November 18, 2015
Recipe Rating:

The aioli is delicious! I made some by hand with garlic squeeze instead of processing a clove. Still tasted great!

315 Babka November 23, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I just made it for dinner, OMG it was so delicious, the whole Family loved it! One of the best potato recipe I made so far. Thank you so much!

316 S November 23, 2015
Recipe Rating:

We love these potatoes! And the aioli is outstandingly tasty!

317 Kayla November 23, 2015

I really need to stop looking at your blog when I’m hungry- these look amazing!

318 Deb November 26, 2015

For all of those people out there that say you shouldn’t eat too many potatoes I say PHOOEY! I am almost 64 and have been eating them in copious amounts my entire life and this recipe is amazing!!! The only problem I found with this recipe was that the potatoes were too dry. So I added some “butter” and mashed them a little before I put them on the pan. I don’t have the heart to give them 4 stars for that because the flavor is amazing so they still get a 5 from me!

319 Christel November 28, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Had these with dinner last night and they are amazing! So easy and taste so decadent. Im a newbie vegan and my son isn’t. He ended up eating 6 of these! Big hit and I will be making them again. Thank you!

320 Hannah December 9, 2015

Love, love, LOVED this recipe! I served it with freshly chopped grape tomatoes and added a bit of cilatro+green onion on top for garnish. Your recipes never fail to amaze me(thinking: burrito bowl)!

321 Joyce aka...Kalebandit December 11, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Truly a keeper. Made these this evening for friends with grilled lamb. Not a crumb left….lol Thank you for this delightful and simple recipe

322 Alana Tavares December 17, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I just made this and it’s seriously AMAZING!! But I was wondering if the aioli will keep in the fridge for at least a day? Thanks!

323 sharon December 28, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I made these the night of my husband’s office party and asked an early arrival guest to be my guinea pig and try one before I offered them to the rest of the guests. She approved highly, I put them out for the rest of the guests and they gobbled them up! I have made these several times since and they are always a hit. The aioli is amazing and goes well on just about anything.

324 Akilah December 29, 2015

325 Akilah December 29, 2015

I’ve had this recipe on rotation for over a year now, and everyone still freaks out when I make it. Instead of the aioli, I use the avocado pesto recipe from your Powerhouse Pesto Plate (no Vegenaise or yogurt required), and the combo is taste bud amazing. Also, for anyone wondering how to drizzle on a sauce: Take a tall glass. Place a ziploc sandwich baggie in and fold the top over the outside of the glass. Fill with sauce, then pull the baggie out and squeeze out all the air. Zip it up, and cut a tiny hole in one corner and voila, you have professional drizzles! Also, I like to serve these on a bed of spinach with some quick roasted asparagus. Squirt the other half of the lemon on and good to go.

326 Izzie January 18, 2016

Huge hit at my house. I used cilantro instead of parsley because, well….avocado! And I used baby potatoes from the garden…reds, yukons and blues. Magnificent! I made extra so there would be leftovers, and these little gems are great tucked inside black bean & scrambled tofu burritos.

Definitely making it to my Go To list!

327 Izzie January 18, 2016

Forgot to rate this recipe. 5-stars in my book!

328 Theda Reale February 11, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I have made this SO many times. I really love it!

329 sharon February 27, 2016

These are simply the best. I made them for Christmas dinner, and many dinners thereafter. The family who doesn’t eat avocados loves this recipe. Thank you! :)

330 Chris March 21, 2016
Recipe Rating:

My wife and I just made these for dinner…AMAZING! Thanks for the recipe!

331 Dana April 6, 2016

These are absolutely amazing! We eat them frequently. Delicious <3

332 Marjorie McDonald April 8, 2016

Can the avocado aioli be stored, or frozen? I have an embarrassing number of ripe avocados and I’m looking for something to do with them that will keep somehow

333 Angela Liddon April 18, 2016

Hi Marjorie, I find the avocado aioli is best enjoyed fresh. Unfortunately, avocado tends to spoil quickly and it doesn’t freeze well (it discolours). Sorry I couldn’t have better news!

334 Jennifer May 5, 2016

Hi Angela —

Have you ever tried pressure-cooking the potatoes instead of boiling them? Thinking it would keep them drier and crisp them up better in the oven …

335 Angela Liddon May 13, 2016

Hey Jennifer, I’m sorry I don’t use a pressure cooker so can’t really comment on that, but I can tell you that they got wonderfully crispy using the boiling + baking method. :) Enjoy!

336 LisaRose June 16, 2016
Recipe Rating:

The spuds are in the oven. Now. But oh my goodness that aioli! I finally broke down and bought some Veganaise…I was never a mayo eater but I wanted to try this recipe and so many others, so figured why not? SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad! Only problem is the aioli might not last to make it onto the potatoes. Glad I bought extra avocados, because, avocados. And this aioli! I could use it as a spread on almost anything, which, I am sure you have already done.

I saw someone else thought of cilantro instead of parsley. I have both so I was going to do a side-by-side comparison. Thanks so much for this!

337 LisaRose June 16, 2016

HOLY CATS! Angela, these are I’m-making-my-special-double-cooked-potatoes-for-the-party phenomenal! And they’re so easy to make. Whoa, so good.