Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy-Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten-free, with Nut-free options

I’m in total denial about summer winding down. Gulp. You too? Many of you have been writing me asking about healthy, on-the-go snack recipes for back to school, work, or simply a busier season ahead. Even if I can’t get behind summer drawing to a close, I can definitely get behind whipping up some snack recipes to have on hand. I put together this round-up of 21 favourites from granola bars to energizing grain-free crackers and everything in between. I plan on stocking the freezer as soon our kitchen is back in order.

All of the recipes below are vegan and gluten-free (most are soy-free too), and the majority can be made peanut or completely nut-free to make them school-friendly – be sure to see my allergy info/notes/substitution suggestions for each! I’m a big fan of recipes that can be customized many different ways. I hope this post helps you discover a few goodies to ring in the upcoming season!

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to check out my post on 21 Vegan Freezer-Friendly Meals.

granolabars 7933   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

1. Feel Good Hearty Granola Bars

Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, soy-free

Hearty, chewy, and crunchy, these wholesome granola bars will fill up the tank and keep your energy stable.

Make it nut-free: Swap the almonds and walnuts for more sunflower, pepita, and hemp seeds.

sugarfreegranolabar 4591   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

2. Soft + Chewy Baked Granola Bars

Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

Dense, chewy, soft, doughy, seedy, hearty, protein-and-fibre-packed granola bars, sweetened naturally with dates! Try them spread with nut or seed butter for a fun treat or just enjoy them plain. Adapted from my Super Power Chia Bread.

muffintopvegan   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

3. Banana Bread Muffin Tops

Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free

My favourite way to use up ripe bananas! Ultra dense and chewy, these banana bread muffin tops make a great running-out-the-door breakfast or snack. Sweetened with banana and dates, there are no added sugars if you swap the chocolate chips for walnuts. Try them warm served with a pat of vegan butter, nut/seed butter, or coconut oil.

gingerbreadpumpkinbars 4023   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

4. Pumpkin Gingerbread Snack Bars

Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free

These lightly sweet pumpkin gingerbread snack bars are dense, chewy, and filling! Try them topped with my creamy cashew butter maple cinnamon glaze, or enjoy them plain or spread with pumpkin butter.

Make it nut-free: Omit the cashew butter glaze or swap it for a simple icing sugar glaze.

veganproteinbars 8865   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

5. Quick ‘n Easy No-Bake Protein Bars

Vegan, gluten-free, no bake/raw

These no-bake bars are thrown together in minutes and make the perfect snack to store in the freezer for a quick burst of energy. I used an unsweetened/unflavoured protein powder, so if you are using a sweetened protein powder, you will likely have to reduce the liquid sweetener (and make up for the lack of liquid by adding some non-dairy milk). Play around with it if necessary and aim for a cookie dough texture. You can also roll the dough into balls and add in chocolate chips if you don’t wish to make them into bar form.

Make it nut-free: Swap the nut butter for sunflower seed butter.

vegangranolabarsnobake 8084   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

6. No-Bake Almond Joy Granola Bars

Vegan, gluten-free, no bake/raw, refined sugar-free

Easy no-bake granola bars inspired by the popular Almond Joy Chocolate bar flavour. Roasted almond butter, mini chocolate chips, and coconut unite to create one tasty bar that’s whipped up in 10 minutes (no oven required!).

Make it nut-free: Swap the almond butter for sunflower seed butter and swap the almonds for sunflower seeds.

chocolate chip Cookie dough larabar recipe 0459   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

7. Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Larabars

Vegan, gluten-free, no bake/raw

Five-ingredient homemade cookie dough “Larabar” knockoffs at a fraction of the price! What could be better?

Vegan No Bake Peppermint Patty Bars 3126   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

8. No Bake Peppermint Patty Bars

Vegan, gluten-free, no bake/raw

No-bake chocolate bars that taste just like a chocolate covered peppermint patty! Be sure to see my Naturally Sweetened Peppermint Patty Bars as well.

energyballsvegannutfree   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

9. Super Seed Chocolate Protein Bites

Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, no bake/raw

A totally nut-free and refined sugar-free chocolate protein bite! Ready in minutes.

IMG 8631   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

10. Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites

Vegan, gluten-free, no bake/raw

These energy bites are inspired by Larabar’s Chocolate Chip Cherry Torte flavour. I prefer to roll them into bite sized balls rather than bars because it’s fast, but shape them however you wish.

veganchiachocolatepudding 7080   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

11. Almost Instant Chocolate Chia Pudding

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

This chocolate chia pudding is decadent-tasting yet healthy at the same time. Packed with protein, fibre, and omega-3 fatty acids this is a pudding you can feel good about! When blended with the almond milk ice cubes it’s a treat you can enjoy immediately without waiting for it to chill. The texture is a cross between a smoothie and a pudding. It will thicken up even more if you put it in the fridge for a few hours. I recommend using a high-speed blender for best results since the dates, chia seeds, and ice cubes are challenging to blend super smooth.

Make it nut-free: Swap the almond milk and almond milk ice cubes for a nut-free non-dairy milk of your choice (coconut milk would be nice).

065A4955   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

12. Super Power Chia Bread

Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, nut-free, soy-free

Thick, hearty, and dense – this isn’t your average slice of bread! Packed with 9 grams of protein and over 7 grams of fibre per slice, this bread will keep you going for hours.

72f393c9f4446936b47455667ea5b6dd   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

13. Endurance Crackers

Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free

These Endurance Crackers are extremely light and crispy while providing long-lasting energy. Feel free to change up the seasonings and spices as you wish. See why they are one of the most popular snack recipes on the blog!

IMG 0265   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

14. Vanilla Cinnamon Buckwheat Crispies

Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, raw, soy-free

Inspired by One Lucky Duck. Enjoy it as a raw cereal with homemade almond milk or just eat it by the handful.

IMG 6373   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

15. On The Glow Basic Oatmeal Squares

Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

Think of this oatmeal square as basic baked oatmeal that can be dressed up any way you like. Each large square contains a tablespoon of flax and a teaspoon of chia seeds as well as 7 grams of fibre and 6 grams of protein. Feel free to add in nuts, dried fruit, chocolate, and other mix-ins as you desire.

Make it nut-free: Swap the almond milk for a nut-free non-dairy milk (such as coconut milk) and swap the nut butter for sunflower seed butter.

9d2575a7f647e3518366e2ade9fd17ba   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

16. Almond Butter Rice Crisp Treats

Vegan, gluten-free, no bake

Addictive rice crisp treats – no marshmallows required!

Make it nut-free: Swap the almond butter for sunflower seed butter.

Thaicucumbersaladwithroastedchickpeas 5038   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

17. Roasted Spiced Chickpeas

Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, sugar-free, soy-free

Chickpeas roasted until crunchy in a garlic, cumin, ginger, chili, and turmeric spice mix. Once you pop, you can’t stop!

IMG 0465   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

18. Salt and Vinegar Roasted Chickpeas

Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, sugar-free, soy-free

Inspired by my all time favourite chip flavour – salt and vinegar! The secret is infusing the chickpeas in vinegar before baking. You won’t believe how authentic the flavour is.

065A5324   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

19. All-Dressed Kale Chips (plus my 6 secrets to flawless kale chips!)

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

Crispy and chewy kale chips baked in the oven and seasoned to perfection. Enjoy these as a healthy alternative to potato chips. See why this recipe has a 5-star rating!

IMG 2158   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

20. Out-the-Door Chia Power Doughnuts

(recipe found in The Oh She Glows Cookbook, p. 41)

Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, oil-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free

This recipe is proof that not all doughnuts have to be the unhealthy kind! Packed with antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, protein, and fibre, these baked doughnuts will have you feeling ready to conquer your day.

065A5619   Back to School: 21 Portable Allergy Friendly Snack Recipes! Vegan, Gluten free, with Nut free options

21. Present Glo Bar

(recipe found in The Oh She Glows Cookbook, p. 217)

Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free

Filled with cinnamon, dried cranberries, pepita seeds, and toasted pecans, this granola bar gets me excited about the fall season. Ready in 20 minutes, no oven required.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh August 26, 2014

Great round up! There were some that I forgot about that I need to put on my “to make” list!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } August 26, 2014

I’m glad summer is ending only because I teach college classes and LOVE starting a new term! And marathon training in the Florida heat is horrific. Can’t wait to try out some of these after-school snacks for myself!

Maryea {happy healthy mama} August 26, 2014

Great post! I will be referencing it frequently as my daughter’s school requires me to send 2 snacks a day. I think it’s kind of crazy, but that’s another story. I’m at least glad I get to pick the snack she eats! :)

Laura @ Raise Your Garden August 27, 2014

I think it’s great that you can use snacks for an awesome list like this for your daughter instead of school just giving them goldfish crackers, pretzels and teddy grahams without your knowledge. When my kids get these type of “snacks” (um, more like desserts, right), they just don’t eat lunch!!! My take?!? that they only need so many calories in a day so they no longer need lunch. But fill up on essentially, junk food! bleh.

Stephanie August 27, 2014

Is it a private school? The public school my kid attends does not allow homemade snacks of any kind in the classroom. Any food they eat in the classroom has to come in a sealed tamper-evident container with an ingredient list. They gave “food allergies” as the reason for this ridiculous rule.
Younger children who have snack time in the classroom as part of their every day routine have snacks provided by the school, to be fair to the lower income kids.

Liz @ Floating Kitchen August 26, 2014

So many great ideas here. Thanks for putting this all together!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health August 26, 2014

What a great reminder of all of the gems you’ve got on here! If only I had enough time to make them all…
As much as I’m sad to see another summer go, I am looking forward to fall. I’m ready to see the leaves turn and curl up in cozy sweaters. Plus, it will be a very exciting time for you! I can’t wait to see that precious baby girl.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2014

Thanks Sarah :)

Louise August 26, 2014

Fabulous resource! Thank you!

Sarah August 26, 2014

This is perfect! Thanks! Although another great sub for nut butters is coconut butter. I use that all of the time since not only is my son allergic to peanuts and tree nuts, but he has anaphylaxis to sunflower too *sigh*

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2014

I wouldn’t have thought coconut butter would be “sticky” enough – good to know you’ve had success with it! I can imagine how challenging it is!

Sarah August 27, 2014

I warm the coconut butter so that it is liquid and much easier to work with as I make a recipe. I find that once it cools, it adds more structure to the finished product and sets better than if I had used a nut butter. It’s been a very good discovery in our house! Good luck with the impending arrival of your little baby!

Millie l Add A Little August 27, 2014

These look fab! Can’t wait to make them for school!

Thea August 27, 2014

Oh my, this is so great! I am like allergic to everything you can eat, but these snacks are perfect! Thank you so much, last school year starts in two weeks and I think I will need a lot of vegan energy! XOXO

maedchenvommeer.blogspot.de

bell santiago August 27, 2014

Love the recipes, I’m all about healthy snacks atm

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 27, 2014

Ok, I want ALL of these, Ange! :) Christina and I were just talking when we were in Vancouver about your donuts that I still haven’t tried, but likely make them this weekend because Christina tells me they’re fabulous (and I have no doubt that they are!) I’m definitely not going back to school in any way and am not ready to say goodbye to summer but this time of year always makes me feel in the mood to re-organize a bit. You’ve given me plenty of ideas to fuel my cleaning sprees! :)

DessertForTwo August 27, 2014

And suddenly, I’m craving a homemade granola bar! And I’m not even going back to school! :)

Jacqui August 27, 2014

Any of these freeze well? I’m thinking major batch cooking & freezing to take care of snacks for a month!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2014

Hi Jacqui,
I would guess that almost everything will freeze well except for maybe the chia pudding (havent tried it, but maybe it does) and kale chips. You can even freeze the roasted chickpeas (after cooling) and pop them back in the oven to reheat!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen August 27, 2014

So many great recipes here! I’ve already made lots of them, but there are a few gems here I still want to try soon.

As much as I don’t want summer to end, I always look forward to the fall around this time of year. Fall farmers markets, county fairs, fall hikes, and of course comfort food… there are so many things to look forward to!

Kathy Catlin August 27, 2014

Perfect timing! My clients are asking for snack recipes and now I can just give them the link to your blog!! I can’t wait to make them myself :) Thanks Angela!

Terri August 27, 2014

Thank you Angela. I feel some batch cooking is in order. I think I may just go down the list and make everything. Yum!!!!

Chelsea August 27, 2014

WHOA! Everything looks super-amazing! I can’t wait to make some of these for my school snack!!! And, best wishes for you and the baby!! :)

Georgina August 27, 2014

Wow there isn’t one of these I wouldn’t make – yummy!

georginamarmoy.blogspot.com

Bridget August 27, 2014

Thank you for this post! My daughter (18) was just asking me if we could make her several healthy snacks to freeze. (From our oh she glows cookbook) She is vegan and wants to be prepared for her senior year! This is perfect!

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables August 27, 2014

I’ve been doing a lot of homemade crackers lately, will have to give some of yours a try! Those endurance crackers do sound amazing!

Ella August 27, 2014

Some big batches of baking/cooking are DEFINITELY in order around here! I really want to have some grab/go options available once school picks up again. Thanks for sharing all of these Angela! I’ll be referring back to this post :)
youtube.com/sparklesandsuch26

Roxane August 27, 2014

You know why I need your Facebook posts? So I can stop reading other posts and get back to business in the kitchen! Time to make healthy school snacks for the kiddies. :)

Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen August 27, 2014

Love this list!! You are officially the granola bar queen! So many delicious granola bars to try :D I loooveee your delicious glo bar from the cookbook and love making different combinations out of it! My next venture will be trying your Super Power Chia Bread! :)

And Kale Chips – enough said. The best snack ever!

Michele @ Two Raspberries August 27, 2014

these all look amazing but I will totally be trying the almond joy granola bars … squeelll yummm!!!

Marie August 27, 2014

Thank you for the wonderful snack ideas! Just wondering if you can actually not notice or taste the protein powder in the protein bars. I have not tried this specific brand yet but all the protein powders that I have tried have a stranger aftertaste….

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2014

Hi marie, Yes you can taste the protein powder a bit (I use Sunwarrior) – I’ve yet to find one that you can’t taste at all.

Lisa August 27, 2014

Hi Angela,

I am a recent newletter subscriber. I love everything you send out; letters, tips, recipes, videos, etc. I am so forunate to have come across your wealth of knowledge and all the wonderful work you put into each message. Thanks for all you do everyday to inspire vegans and hopefully some non vegans!

Do you have any nutrional information for the recipes you share?

Kind regards,

Emily August 28, 2014

Thanks for the round up! I also have your cookbook and can’t wait to work my way through it :) Are hulled hemp seeds and hemp hearts the same thing? I make so many of your recipes but have not made one with either of those ingredients yet and am trying to figure out the difference betweent the two.

Thank you!
Emily

Kate August 28, 2014

These all look fantastic. I’m forever looking for healthy options to take to work with me as I always get hungry at about 11:00 which is a good two hours before I can take lunch. I like the look of the roasted chickpeas in particular :)

Penthea Rose August 28, 2014

Thank you so much for putting the allergy substitutes – makes life so much easier for those with nut allergies :) Can’t wait to try all these recipes! xx

Kyra August 29, 2014

Awesome round up, so much inspiration for healthy snacks! Will have to come back to work my way through the list, I want to try them all!!

Ana August 29, 2014

Dear Angela,
I have recently become vegetarian. I use your book a lot and I love it!
I wonder though how can I find out how many calories in each meal?
Thank you!
Ana

Sheryll September 2, 2014

There is an app called map my diet where you can put in your own recipes and it will calculate the nutritional info and save it so you don’t have to put it in again…..hope that helps

Lauren @ Beautiful Plant-Based Life August 29, 2014

As a preschool teacher, just getting back into the swing of things, I am psyched to have all these great recipes in one place! Thanks for helping me stay fueled during this crazy beginning-of-school time! :-)

Alisa August 29, 2014

Angela – Absolutely love your blog and cookbook! I recommend both to every aspiring vegan (and non-vegan) I meet.

I have tried to make chia pudding on a number of occasions, and I can’t get the chia seeds to thicken the almond milk. I follow recipes exactly and use only new chia seeds, but I still don’t have any luck. Any idea what I am doing wrong or could do differently? Thanks!

Jennifer September 1, 2014

Alisa, have you tried different brands of chia seeds? I noticed that some brands thicken better than others.

Alisa September 2, 2014

I haven’t. I generally buy chia in bulk from the local specialty shop in my neighborhood.

Do you have any recommendations for brands?

Ali August 31, 2014

HI Angela! Completely off topics but I’ve been obsessed with your perfected chickpea salad for the last month or so. I went to make it for lunch today and found that I only had mayo and frozen chickpeas. In a pinch, I made a Greek chickpea salad with kalamata olives, sundried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, oregano, garlic, and mayo (ate it on a corn tortilla since I’m GF). So good! Thanks for being such a great inspiration for a healthy lifestyle!

Ron September 1, 2014

I have been doing the health care concept of vegan foods now for a while and I cant tell people how much better I look and healthier I feel. There is no way eating animal based products is anywhere near that of a vegan’s health. I would love to learn more on foods and recipes that are vegan.

John D September 27, 2014

I would love to learn more on foods and recipes that are vegan. Perfect back to school snacks. Quick and healthy

Alex @ True Femme September 1, 2014

I love roundups like these and this is the perfect post for back-to-school snacks. I’m in the process of applying for my doctorate so between that, classes, and life I need all of the quick, healthy, tasty snacks I can get!

Julie Gordon September 1, 2014

These all look great, but I am especially excited to try the roasted chickpeas recipe. Chickpeas are the best.

Jennifer September 1, 2014

Angela – I’m sure you get a ton of requests for stuff like this but I would LOVE if you could make a similar list that compiled recipes good for babies and toddlers – soft foods that are easy for new eaters that are easy to chew and nutritious and unlikely choking hazards. I recently made your oatmeal squares and the texture is perfect for my 16 month old.

Karen September 1, 2014

What a great roundup…will be referencing often! Question: I am about to make the first granola bar recipe, and was wondering if I could substitute buckwheat for the rolled oats? Do you think such a hearty grain (well, grain-like) ingredient cook in the oven at this temp?
Thanks much!

Karen September 5, 2014

Update: I made the first granola bars and they were absolutely fabulous!! Thanks for offering a minimally sweet healthy snack option. (The only modification I made was substituting chopped dates vs. dried cherries in the original.)

I also have been meaning to tell you how much I appreciate your flawless recipes…I love that I can trust them to turn out perfectly and your very precise instructions. I’m a pretty experienced cook, but when it comes to baking – that’s a completely different story. Having been a vegan for many years, I’ve collected a large collection of cookbooks, and I can already sense that OSG is sure to be one of those classics, a favorite, that I return to time and time again.

Lotta September 1, 2014

They all look so great but the chocolate chia pudding is for sure the winner! I have to make that one! Thanks for sharing so many great tasting and healthy recipes!

Page 1 of 212»