21 Vegan Freezer-Friendly Meal/Snack Recipes + My Tips for Freezing

veganfreezerfriendlyrecipes

I’ve had several requests lately for freezer-friendly meal ideas. It must be that time of year! With our little bambino on the way in a couple months, I’ve been making a list of meals I’m going to try to make in advance to stash away in the freezer. It will be a miracle if I can even get through a third of this list below (considering I have no working oven until late August…minor detail, hah), but I included plenty of options so you have some variety to choose from! The recipes at the top of my “must-make” list are: My Favourite Vegan Chili; Spiced Red Lentil, Tomato, and Kale Soup; Pumpkin Gingerbread Snack Bars; Summer Harvest Tortilla Soup (from OSG cookbook); Crowd-Pleasing Tex Mex Casserole (OSG cookbook); Feel Good Hearty Granola Bars; veggie burgers/balls; Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Larabars’; and my Indian-Lentil Cauliflower Soup (also from OSG cookbook). That should be a good start!

First a few Q + A’s…

What to freeze in? I switched to glass, BPA-free freezer + oven-safe containers last year, so I always use those for freezing (I use these Pyrex containers). The added bonus is that you can bake thawed casseroles/enchiladas right in the very dish! Yay, for less dishes. I also use Glasslock containers, but those are not oven-safe, fyi. Lastly, I use freezer-safe zip bags for foods like granola bars, granola, and cookies. I always rinse and reuse the bags when I’m done with them to cut down on waste and save money (those things are expensive). Mason jars (for canning/freezing) also work well. Tip: We also use freezer bags for freezing bananas for smoothies. At any given moment you can find about 2 bags stuffed with peeled bananas in the freezer!

How to freeze? As for the method I use to freeze things, it’s pretty basic. I’m a big fan of what I call the wrap + seal technique (totally just made that up), meaning that I wrap the cooled food first (usually in tin foil or other freezer-safe bag) and then place the wrapped food in the glass container and lock/seal the lid. I like that it has two layers of protection from freezer burn. This method works great for single-serving foods like veggie burgers/balls, burritos, or snack bars. If it’s a liquid-based dish like soup, pesto, sauce, casserole, or chili, I will pour it into the dish and then sometimes put a layer of wrap on top of it. Press the foil/wrap down to prevent freezer burn from forming and then secure the lid as usual. It helps to leave an inch of so of space at the top to allow for any expansion. For those who don’t want to use foil or wrap, you can try wrapping with parchment paper and securing with baking twine or something similar.

How long to freeze for? Ah, the million dollar question! I find this depends on the type of food and your freezer. I’m pretty sensitive to the dreaded freezer-burn taste, so I try not to freeze things for longer than a month or two in my regular (fridge) freezer. It’s really just trial and error though. You can get more mileage out of certain dishes and less with others.

For the recipes that don’t make a very large serving, I like to double or triple the recipe whenever possible. I haven’t tried freezing every single one of the recipes below, but I’ve tried a lot of them. Generally speaking, these categories tend to freeze quite well.

I encourage you to share your freezing methods in the comments! I’m certainly not a freezing pro and welcome all your tips. Update – there are now a ton of great freezing tips in the comment section! Be sure to check them out.

thaiveggieburger-2297

Veggie Burgers + Balls

When it comes to veggie burgers and bean balls, I now prefer to cook them first, cool completely, and then use the wrap + seal freezing technique I mentioned above (wrap individually in tin foil and then place them all in a glass container). When ready to eat, thaw on the countertop or in the fridge and reheat on the skillet with some oil or in the oven on a baking sheet. I find cooking the burgers/balls first and then freezing helps the patties stay together better.

Thai Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers

Crispy Quinoa Cakes

Our Perfect Veggie Burger

Lentil Mushroom Walnut Balls

Italian Bean Balls

Soup + Chili

Liquids like soup and chili are freezer-friendly superstars! Most will do just fine. After cooking the soup, let it cool completely, and then place in a freezer-friendly glass container leaving a bit of space at the top for any expansion that might occur. Sometimes I add a layer of tin foil on top of the soup to prevent freezer burn.

My Favourite Vegan Chili

Luxurious 7-Vegetable and ‘Cheese’ Soup

Spiced Red Lentil, Tomato, and Kale Soup

Black Bean, Sweet Potato, and Red Quinoa Soup

Pasta Sauce + Pesto

Sauces and pesto’s tend to freeze nicely too. I only freeze the sauce and rarely ever freeze the sauce mixed into cooked pasta or other noodle (it tends to get soggy for many dishes). I use the same freezing method as written above for soup/chili. You can even freeze sauces/pesto’s in smaller portions (for “two” is a popular one around here!), so you don’t need to thaw the entire batch for just one meal. Try freezing pesto in silicone muffin trays for easy removal. Once they are frozen, you can pop them into a reusable freezer-safe zip bags to save freezer space.

Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto

I haven’t tried freezing these two below yet, but if you have please leave a comment!

Cauli-power Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce

Smoky Butternut Squash Sauce

Enchiladas + Burritos + Casserole

I freeze the Tex Mex Casserole in an extra large oven/freezer-safe glass dish with a layer of tin foil pressed tightly on top of the casserole to prevent freezer burn. Tips: For this specific casserole, I skipped the 15-20 minute oven cooking because I knew I would be cooking it after thawing. I let the skillet mixture cool before adding it into the container. I also waited to add the corn chip garnish until just before baking so they didn’t get soggy. When you are ready to eat it, thaw it completely (this takes well over 24 hours in the fridge – FYI), remove the tin foil, sprinkle on the corn chips, and pop it in the oven at 350F for about 30 minutes. Easy! Serve it with sliced avocado, cashew sour cream, sliced green onion, salsa, etc. As for enchiladas, people have told me they had success freezing the entire lot all at once, thawing, and baking as instructed. I would wait to make + add the cilantro avocado sauce until just before serving since it’s avocado based. For burritos, you can wrap them up individually in tin foil or freezer bags and freeze for quick grab and go meals.

Crowd-Pleasing Tex Mex Casserole (from The Oh She Glows Cookbook, page 149)

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas (for an updated version with a 5-minute homemade enchilada sauce (this freezes well too!), see pages 147 and 300 in the OSG cookbook)

Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Snacks/Breakfast

For cookies, I bake them as directed, cool completely, and then freeze in freezer-safe zip bags. Some people also have success freezing the portioned cookie dough on a baking sheet and then popping the frozen dough balls into freezer baggies. Then you can thaw on the counter and bake as usual. I’ve also included a link to my recent granola bar recipe – I tested freezing these and they lasted for over a month in the freezer which I was very happy about! They make a great snack and I love that I can thaw one bar at a time as I need them. Lastly, granola always freezes well. My favourite granola is on page 31 of my cookbook.

Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Larabars’

Feel Good Hearty Granola Bars

Ultimate Nutty granola Clusters (from The Oh She Glows Cookbook, page 31)

Blissful Blueberry Banana Spelt Muffins

Banana Bread Muffin Tops

Heavenly Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal

Pumpkin Gingerbread Snack Bars

~~~~

This list is by no means inclusive of all the freezer-friendly recipes on the blog over the past 6 years. If I’ve forgotten any good blog recipes that you’ve had freezing success with, be sure to let us know in the comments! The more the merrier.

Happy freezing!

1 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 30, 2014

I LOVE freezer meals! I try to spend one day a month making up a lot of food I can freeze for a while when I’m tight on grocery $$ one week or just don’t have time to cook. Soups & burritos are my two favorite freezer foods!

2 Laura @ Raise Your Garden July 30, 2014

I love freezing soups too but never thought to freeze burritos? And I totally agree, freezer food is awesome when the budget gets a little tight one week or I’m just exhausted from being up all night with a sick kid or whatever =) This is such a timely post because I think so many of us our thinking about freezing right now….or maybe it’s just that August is here and that means fall will come soon. Oh well, fall provides lots of vegan recipes =)

3 Anne October 28, 2014

I learned to have strategy around how I stored and used items. Now, I am better at using things within a shorter time. Freezing helps singles live a more balanced diet.

4 Tina Muir July 30, 2014

This is so helpful Angela. I freeze a lot of food, but if i do not use it soon enough I definitely find a lot of freezer burn, I like the idea of double sealing it in. I will use these tips, and SO many wonderful recipes. Right now when I am trying to fuel running 75 miles a week, I need all the nutrition I can get, and meatless meals are a must have to do this. Thanks for sharing!

5 Barb August 4, 2014

I agree about the freezing foods. It gets freezer burn when it is froze for long time!

6 Tina Muir July 30, 2014

This is SO helpful Angela, thank you! I have to freeze a lot of my food, and it often ends up with freezer burn if I do not have it soon enough. I like the idea of using a tight seal and then using a freezer bag, think I will give that a try, especially right now as I try to stock up on fruits for the year!

As for the recipes, so many wonderful ideas, I do not know where to start. When I am trying to fuel my body through running 75 miles a week, I need all the nutrition I can get, and these are the perfect resources! Thank you!

7 Anne August 5, 2014

I used to have the freezer burn problem. I have learned to be sure there is less air space, this helps prevent freezer burn. The other thing I have learned is to ‘file’ things in my freezer and discipline myself to choose items from the ‘oldest’ to the most recent…and i also do a one week every 6 weeks when I just don’t buy any new food, and use that week to use up reserves of food that needs to be used. It saves me money because I am not wasting as much.

8 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh July 30, 2014

What a great guide! Thanks so much for putting this together!

9 Amber Shaus July 30, 2014

THank you!! I really struggled with food for me after my first baby. My husband really can’t cook. Most friends and family think vegetarian means loaded with cheese ( I don’t do dairy). My parents were good at bringing soups by once a week but I needed more… This go around I’m going to use your guide and freeze a ton of these recipes. I will eat well. :) I’m very excited to have this list.

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2014

Thanks Amber, I hope it’s helpful for you! I will try to add more recipes as I think of them too (and I’m sure others will suggest more in the comments).

11 Maria July 30, 2014

Angela,
I haven’t actually frozen any cooked meals, ever. We have a lot of frozen bananas and stock in our freezer, but this post is encouraging me to try more stuff. Will give freezing your burgers a try this weekend. Thanks!

12 Sarah July 30, 2014

Thanks for the list, and the reminder that I need to get on this ASAP as well! My timeline is a little less tight at the moment as I’m not due until Christmas-time, but this should at least kick-start the planning phase. We’re also doing renos to our current house which we’re selling this fall, but we’ll be moving in August… unfortunately, I haven’t had the luxury of freezing meals lately since we’re trying to EMPTY our freezers! Probably for the best though since I’m finding some skeeeeeeeetchy looking items way in the back that are likely no longer safe to eat :P Hopefully you get through most of your list! If not, send of the recipes to nice friends and family for them to cook for you? haha

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2014

haha…oh yea, I always find those sketchy items in the back of the freezer (and fridge) when we move. Scary!
Yes, I might have to put my mom on food duty when she’s here visiting after the baby arrives. ;)

14 Jill July 30, 2014

Thanks so much for doing this round up of freezer meals. I’m a big fan of freezing meals since it frees up so much of my time in the evenings and makes it more likely that we’re eating healthy (I initially wrote “I’m a big freezer” lol).
Also I’m so excited because my boyfriend bought me your book yesterday! He went to 3 stores before finding it because it was sold out everywhere! It looks so amazing and I can’t wait to try out the recipes.

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2014

What a thoughtful boyfriend you have :) So glad he finally found it!

16 Jill August 4, 2014

I know, so sweet! I tried the ‘ultimate nutty granola clusters’ and ‘peanut butter cookie dough bites’ (with almond butter) already, and they turned out great. I posted pictures of the granola today and I ate every single one of those cookie dough balls already haha.

17 Leanne July 30, 2014

You can also “flash freeze” items. I do this with burgers, meatballs, cabbage rolls and fruit a fair bit. Make your recipe and cook bake ahead of time as needed. Place individual items on parchment lined baking sheet and freeze. Once frozen, you can wrap them individually or just put everything into a group. It makes it easy to take 1 or 2 items out at a time.

18 Kristen October 6, 2014

Thanks for this tip!

19 ilona July 30, 2014

Hi Angela,

LOOOOVVVVEEE your recipes. I think I have “sold” about a dozen people your cook book :)
I have frozen both the cauliflower and butternut squash sauces in large Mason jars. Wokrs beautifully! It would take at least overnight to thaw in fridge; I was impatient so thawed a bit on counter top (until thawed enough for the sauce to slide out of jar),then transferred to saucepan and defrosted the rest of the way covered, on low heat, stirring and breaking up mixture.
So delish.
ilona

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2014

I was hoping someone would leave a comment about these sauces! Thanks for letting us know. Now I can freeze them with confidence. :)

21 Marissa July 30, 2014

I, too, have frozen the cauliflower sauce! It’s actually the only way I have ever eaten it…I don’t think I have every actually eaten it right after it was made.

I have tried to get away from plastic containers and switched to glass containers…but do have a few plastic ones left. I have frozen the sauce in both plastic and glass. I have to admit, I am not paitent enough to let the sauce thaw in the fridge or in the counter…I usually just put it in a sauce pan and let it reheat, it works GREAT!

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2014

Great tips!! Thank you :)

23 Miranda March 15, 2016

Hi Angela! I’ve been having trouble freezing things in mason jars…they always crack! I’m wondering how you guys are having success with this. Maybe I’m not letting things cool enough before freezing, or maybe I’m filling them too much and the expansion makes the glass break in the freezer? Any tips?

24 Angela Liddon March 17, 2016

Hi Miranda, sorry to hear you’ve been having troubles! I think both of the things you mentioned could be factors, but my guess is the major one is the space for expansion. I always try to leave about an inch of space at the top of whatever I’m freezing; that’s usually enough room to prevent a cracked jar. Hope this helps, and that you have better luck next time!

25 Stephanie July 31, 2014

I have mixed your cauliflower sauce and cashew cream together ( to make “ricotta” for lasagna) and froze the finished meal. Both the noodles and cheeze had a great texture when reheated from frozen. When I thawed it first the gf noodles disintegrated into mush. Cheeze held up though.

26 Margaret July 30, 2014

I’m loving the snack recipes. Definitely going to work them in for the school year. Thanks!

27 Stephanie July 30, 2014

Thank you, thank you, thank you! These are wonderful!

28 Kari @ Cooking with Toddlers July 30, 2014

Thank you for this list! I’m just now thinking about making/freezing meals for when our second baby comes in early fall and this is so helpful!

29 Shundara@savynaturalista July 30, 2014

Sometimes I worry when you freeze meals they can get freezer burn, but with theses tips that seems next to impossible! :)

30 Lisa July 30, 2014

Thank you Angela – I am probably at 90% vegan now and this article is perfect for me – like a birthday gift – as the rest of my family are not vegan. I love your cook book and your website and really enjoy your baby tab:) Thank You very Much!

31 Andrea July 30, 2014

I’ve made most of these recipes but haven’t put them in the freezer. Thanks for the freezing tips. No matter what method I have used, I have not been successul. I have had sauces burst open in freezer bags, mason jars explode, and tipperware warp and thus freezer burn sets in. I have the same pyrex containers and haven’t thought to try those. Am I the only one who is unlucky in freezing? Ha ha. P.S. I have shared your website, recipes, and cookbook with just about everyone I know! It’s like a “glow” party when we all start talking about your cookbook. :)

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2014

haha I definitely don’t think you are alone! I’ve had some bad attempts in the past too. Maybe you just have a super human strength freezer? ;)
Thanks for your kind words about my cookbook…I’m so happy to hear that you like it enough to share with others!

33 lea July 30, 2014

Hi Andrea

Cracked a couple of mason jars myself… sounds like you are overfilling your containers.
Food expands when freezing so always leave about 1 inch/2.5 cm of space for it. Hope this helps….

34 Andrea July 30, 2014

Super human freezer – ha ha ha. Thanks for the tip. I’ll try freezing in mason jars again, this time leaving the space you mentioned. Thanks!

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2014

Hope it works out better for you!

36 Lynn August 1, 2014

Hi Andrea,

Just read your comment about freezing and exploding. I have been freezing for years and know that when I had exploding food it was usually because I had filled the containers too full. Try filling only 1/2 or 3/4 full and see what happen. Hope it all works out for you:)

37 Stephanie August 6, 2014

I saw a few people gave you tips about leaving head room in mason jars which is important. Another trick I use is to not screw the lid tight until the food is frozen, then I go through and tighten everything. With freezer bags make sure to buy heavy duty and I find it is better not to leave air space in them. Zip them most of the way closed, stick a straw in the end and suck out the extra air. Similar effect to a vaccum seal. Lay flat in a single layer until frozen and the stack on each other or stand upright. Also, make sure to cool off your soup or stock really well before filling the bags. Heat will weaken the seals of the bags and cause more risk of breakage. Hope that helps!!

38 Lisa December 29, 2014

Andrea, you may be freezing when the food is too warm. I cool to room temp, then chill in fridge, then transfer to freezer. This keeps temp fluctuations to a minimum and risk of unpredictable expansion is minor. Hot × freezing = disaster. Freezing is all about the water content. Hot water/moisture in food will contract as it cools, then expand on freezing. As it cools, if the inside temp is warmer, the food will freeze inconsistently and expand unpredictably, causing bursting.

Also, food freezes more consistently in smaller or flatter containers. This also relates to volume expansion and moisture. Jen below has good suggestions. Cooling before freezing is essential with large quantities.

39 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan July 30, 2014

This is an awesome idea! I need more of these on hand so I’m not tempted to eat ice cream for dinner!

40 Cara July 31, 2014

Thank you for saying that! Who can say they’ve never been tempted??? (The only question is, how many times have we given in … :-) )

Angela, as always, you know exactly what your readers are looking for. I’m heading back to full-time teaching in the fall, with a toddler now!, and I know I have to make my dinners ahead … because eating ice cream for dinner was fine when it was only me (at least that’s what I told myself!) but is definitely not OK for my baby!! :-) THANK YOU!

41 Danielle July 30, 2014

Last year before the school year I did a bunch of batch cooking and freezing. I found it very fun and learned lots! I regularly freeze your red lentil and squash curry stew with great success! I have also froze the “Not your average potato soup”, and the mushroom millet soup. I have also assembled multiple batches of your jerk chickpeas recipe in ziploc bags, all ready to be thawed and baked. It is really easy to make 4 batches at once so all the prep work is done! Another thing I did was cook up large batches of beans and froze them in 1 cup portions. It was easy to thaw for a quick protein to add to salads in a pinch. I agree, most soups and stews freeze really well. The only thing I don’t like is larger chunks of sweet potato, they tend to fall apart and can taste watery if the stew isn’t thick enough. Not sure if I am accurately describing what happens but the point is that sweet potato doesn’t freeze well for me, lol. I get around this by making the stew extra thick, or chopping the sweet potato smaller so they eventually become part of the stew’s liquid rather than a chunk of veggie.
Good luck with all your batch cooking before the baby arrives! :D

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

Great tips, thanks for sharing!

43 Lauren at Keep It Sweet July 30, 2014

You definitely read my mind! I also just started putting together my list of dishes to make and freeze pre-baby. I have a feeling they will seriously come in handy!

44 Monica July 30, 2014

Thanks this is great. I am in the habit of continually freezing one or two servings of most things I make immediately and then eating them a week or two later for lunch. Keeps me from throwing away leftovers and it makes brown-bagging easy and fast in the morning.

45 Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables July 30, 2014

I LOVE being able to pull a meal (or most of one) from the freezer on busy nights. One of my favorite things to do is freeze a bunch of sauces and then add them to different veggies/legumes when it’s time to defrost (I also freeze chickpeas, black beans, etc. in 2-4 c. portions, so great to have on hand!). You can get several different dishes out of the same sauce, so dinners don’t keep too repetitive or boring!

46 Glitter Coated Lenses July 30, 2014

You have the BEST veggie burger recipes of all time! I can’t get enough of them! Thank you for always keeping your recipes free and available to us! You’re the best!

47 Hailey July 30, 2014

Yay, such good timing! Our baby is due in 6 weeks (and is transverse so may likely be here before 6 weeks) and I need to fill up that freezer soon!

48 Sasha July 30, 2014

This is a great guide! I freeze meals and meal components quite a bit. It’s especially helpful for those like me who try to eat mostly whole foods and are just cooking for one. I try to always at least have a batch of veggie burgers (I’ve done your Perfect Veggie Burger and it was fantastic!) and a batch of burritos in the freezer at all times. I also freeze about ½ the batch every time I make muffins or a quick bread or something, and often put portions of soups, sauces, and beans in the freezer for later if I make too much.

One thing I’ve found very helpful for making sure I actually use up what I’ve put in the freezer before it gets freezer-burned: I have a sheet of paper on the freezer door where I write down what I put in the freezer, how much (esp for things like veggie burgers it helps me keep track of when I need to make more i write the #s like 1, 2, 3…then cross them off as I use them), and the date I froze it. You can easily take a look at the list rather than snooping around the freezer trying to figure out what you have. And if I’m in need of a meal, I try to go from as far up the list as I can.

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2014

I love your tracking method! Very useful. I will be sure to try this.

50 Stephanie July 31, 2014

That’s a great idea! I use freezer tape to individually date and label each container (except the fast movers). The tape peels right off of tupperware or glass when done and leaves no sticky residue. It’s helpful to add the amount (3 cups, 2 quarts, 1 serving, etc.). Then you always know what’s in the freezer at a glance and if it will be enough/too much for the recipe you’re making.
Just about everything in my freezer and pantry has a strip of freezer tape on it. Helps me keep track of how fresh the baking soda is. ; )

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

I didn’t even know there was such a thing as freezer tape! hah. Where do you buy it?

52 Stephanie August 2, 2014

I find mine at the local chain grocery store (never seen it at Whole Foods or the other health food stores). Usually it’s with the canning supplies or on a clip-strip by the storage baggies. You can write on it with anything, even crayon. Kinda looks like masking tape.
Don’t be surprised if you can’t keep the freezer stocked once everyone can immediately tell what’s in there! : )

53 Stephanie August 2, 2014

P.S.
If you like to re-use your plastic bags, don’t put freezer tape on them! It will shred your bag when you take it off.

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2014

Thanks for the tips! I’ll be on the look out :)

55 Cindy August 9, 2014

I get mine at Wal-mart – it’s in the aisle with foil, baggies, etc.

56 Cindy August 9, 2014

freezer tape

57 Rachel July 30, 2014

Do you have a recipe for vegan lactation cookies? I loved lactation cookies after my daughter was born, and I’d like to make some for my vegan sister-in-law who’s due next week!

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2014

Oh thanks for the reminder! I’ve had it on my list of recipes to try out. Hopefully I can post a recipe to my baby section by Sept. If that’s too late, I suggest googling for some recipes…I’m sure there are lots out there! :)

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2014

sooo I was just looking at some of my cookie recipes to see if I could adapt any, and this one might be promising:

It already has the oat base, it just need some brewer’s yeast or nutritional yeast, ground flax, and maybe some more virgin coconut oil add to it. Will see what I can come up with once I have a working oven again.

60 Marcie October 12, 2014

Here is a recipe I made up a few year ago when I was having babies :)

61 Marcie October 12, 2014
62 Marcie October 12, 2014

I wasn’t as into limiting my sugar back then, maybe Angela will have some ideas of how to substitute some of the brown sugar

63 Osha Key July 30, 2014

Thank you so much for putting this together! My man loves bean burgers, so I’ll make a lot of them in advance, will save me lots of time! :)

64 Kirstie July 30, 2014

I don’t have any freezing experience. Can I freeze pureed soups?

65 Ana July 31, 2014

I find that pureed anything freezes the best- they dont seem to be as susceptible to getting spoilt as lumps on the top do.

66 Jen August 1, 2014

Yes you can! If you are not opposed to ziploc bags, you can pour a serving or two of a cooled soup directly into them, press air out, seal and lay them flat on a cookie sheet or something until completely frozen. Then you have a nice set of slim flat packages you can stack vertically or horizontally.

My other favorite thing to do with soups is freeze them in ice-cube trays. Once frozen, put them in a big ziploc or any other container, then take out a few as you need them. They thaw way faster than a big block of frozen soup. I’ll throw a few cubes into a glass dish in the morning to take to work, and then I can reheat it quickly for lunch.

67 Joanna July 30, 2014

Just what I needed to read! I’m going to make many of these, especially the burgers! Thank you.

68 Jo July 30, 2014

This is a great list! Thanks! I really need to work on convincing my husband that we need a standalone freezer. :)

Question – has anyone tried freezing the Magical Chia Seed Jam? Just wondering if that works, as I would love to make some extra batches while the summer berries are in season.

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

I frozen the jam on the cookies when I made the cookies for my shower…and it worked great! I’ve also had blog readers say they freeze the jam with success.

70 Jo August 1, 2014

Fantastic – thank you SO much! A neighbour just dropped off a bag of apricots, so I see some jam making in my future. I’m so thankful for the chia recipe, I would not be able to pull off making jam the traditional way! Thanks again!!!

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

I know what you mean, the chia version is just so much easier! I make it all the time.

72 Matt July 30, 2014

I’m not vegan, but I cannot deny how amazing this looks. I will try this out!

73 jessie @ Vitamin Valentine July 30, 2014

Thanks for these tips and the recipes! I tend to make a lot of food and then just try to consume it all in a week or less, which only creates boredom with eating the same meal over and over (logic fail!). I’ll definitely be using your tips :)

74 lea July 30, 2014

Made my freezer list 3 days ago….I am preparing Perfect Veggie Burgers today…(and they are pretty perfect). I have never cooked them before freezing. So I am going to try it out on half of them this time. Lentil Walnut Apple Loaf is coming up next! The one I am not too sure about freezing is the Black Bean and Potato Nacho Bake but I will give it a go……

75 lea July 30, 2014

For those that make a variety of veggie burgers. I put a variety of burgers in one freezer bag and use that bag up first before making up another variety bag. Sometimes I do that with other single serving dishes as well. Makes me use up my food and keeps me from eating all the same things all the time. Works for me perhaps it can work for others as well…..

76 Katie July 30, 2014

I have just started freezing leftovers, so thank you so much for the tips!
Katie
worldwidevegetarian.com

77 Tami @ Hungry Horse Girl July 30, 2014

This is *so* helpful! I’m a new vegan and I’ve made a few of your delicious recipes already, but I’d love to do some precooking & freezing on Sundays so that I can have speedier meals throughout the week. Bookmarking this!

78 Florence July 30, 2014

Angela you rock ! It has been a couple of days that i was obsessing about all the things I can freeze but have not much knowledge.
I made a batch of your banana oat bars with dried apricots. It is so awesome that I ate the all one in couple of days. So I made a new one and this time cup it in bars and froze it and limit myself to one per day for mid day snack. Will try some more recipes.

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

haha those always go fast in our house too!

80 Kristen @ Vitamin K Girl July 30, 2014

I’m about to start a new school year (teacher) which also means I’m about to have almost no time to cook on weeknights, so many of these recipes and freezing tips could come in handy–thanks!

81 Kim July 30, 2014

I’ve frozen the Cauli-power Alfredo Sauce with great success!

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

thanks Kim! Another reader has too…so I will have to give it a go next time :)

83 Jennifer July 30, 2014

I love freezing freshly bakes cookies, muffins and granola. The freezer keeps them all so fresh. When I made the veggie burgers from your cookbook, I wrapped each of them in plastic wrap and stuck them in a Ziploc freezer bag. This kept them from getting freezer burn. I’ve also had success freezing pasta sauces and soups in plastic or glass containers. Also, in case anyone is wondering about freezing jam, Canadian Tire sells special BPA-free plastic jam containers that are designed to go in the freezer. You could easily use them to freeze soups and sauces, too.

84 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 30, 2014

The only problem with this recipe roundup is that I want to make every single dish right this second!! Great tips, Ange, especially the one about putting a layer of wrap over soups and stews – I’d never thought of that! Similar to your silicone baking cup trick, I like to freeze my pesto in ice trays. It seems to pop out really easily and melts into homemade marinara sauce on the stove. Totally pinning some of these! :)

85 Cheryl July 30, 2014

I am going to make some of these soon! Just wanted to add a freezer success…cupcakes freeze beautifully frosted or not. I use a gallon size freezer bag and just slide them in and keep it flat in the freezer. I also always freeze extra cookies after parties to get them out of sight. My worst freezer fails have been with breast milk so be careful! Those really make you want to throw up. So precious.

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

Any tips on freezing breast milk? I was thinking about that the other day!

87 Amanda August 6, 2014

Angela: I don’t know if you’re looking for a plastic-free way to store breastmilk, but I’ve used the Lansinoh breastmilk bags and have a lot of success. Lay them flat to freeze to save space, then you can line them up by date. In the beginning, freeze small amounts (a couple ounces). Store in the back, not the door. I’ve got a 13-month old and we’re still nursing strong. The Kellymom site is a great one for breastfeeding resources: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/.

Also, when I was pregnant I had several friends tell me that after about 3 weeks, breastfeeding finally “clicked” and they felt like they had a handle on it, but that the initial weeks were a little rough. I had that in mind in the early days, and it helped me power through some latch issues and doubts. Then lo and behold, after about 3-ish weeks, I was all “I got this!” :)

88 Ashley Gabrielle July 30, 2014

This is awesome! I’ve been looking for vegan foods and meals I can make in advance and freeze. My work schedule has been so busy that planning out meals and making them in advance is something I’m going to start doing.

89 Nicole @ Broken Road Creative July 30, 2014

I’m so excited you put this list together! I’m due Sept. 1st with my second baby so freezing some things ahead of time seems like a smart idea! I’ve been procrastinating though because it’s hard to find ideas for freezer meals that don’t use meat or meat substitutes.

I have, however, been stocking my pantry with pre-made snack bags and things like diy instant oatmeal packets. I’d love to get some of your “Lat Minute Protein Energy Bars” made too, since I love them so (as does my hubby and daughter!). :)

90 Kellee July 30, 2014

I work for a chain bookstore in Calgary and we fight over who gets to “Staff Pick” your cookbook. We have encouraged sooo many people to pick it up, it’s fun to flip through and bookmark some of my favourite recipes for people!

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2014

this totally just made my day…hah…thank you to you + your whole staff!! What an honour :)

92 Suzanne @ hello, veggy! July 30, 2014

Hey Angela! I have tried freezing the cauliflower Alfredo and it was not up to snuff post freezer :( perhaps because of the water content?

Anywhoo good luck with baby! It’s such an exciting time :)

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

Hmm interesting yours didn’t freeze well. A couple blog readers said they tried it and it worked great. I guess there is no perfect science to it! How long did yours stay in the freezer for? Wondering if that would make a difference.

94 Suzanne @ hello, veggy! July 30, 2014

Oops should’ve commented all in one! The smoky butternut squash sauce freezes great :)

95 Constance July 30, 2014

This is a great list. And great timing too! I had a friend over yesterday and she saw that I had your book and commented on how she follows your blog. We keep saying we need to meet up and cook together, so this list is going to help us prepare some great meals before school starts again!

Here’s to having a freezer full of yummy food and spending time with a friend! Thanks Angela!

96 danna July 30, 2014

i love this idea but am i the only one who is anti-foil and plastic? i use them as little as possible. i do have glass containers but hate freezer burn. does anyone have suggestions ?

97 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

I try to use it as little as possible too. I don’t know of an alternative other than just putting it directly into the glass container! Maybe someone else has ideas :)

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

What about parchment? Just saw that in a comment below.

99 Kathy July 31, 2014

As I student I find freezing things lets me eat healthily but still save time. You’ve given me some great ideas for the future which I will definitely try out :)

100 Laura July 31, 2014

OUTSTANDING> you must know this is a great way to have NO EXCUSES to not eat healthy, plan ahead and not be tempted after a long day to eat out. THANK_YOU from the bottom of my stomach.

101 April July 31, 2014

Thank you SO much! My sister turned me onto the idea of freezer meals, but I haven’t found many that don’t include meat. If you can next do a list of slow cooker meals, I’ll be all set! :) Thanks so much – I love your blog!

102 Rachael July 31, 2014

You can line your dish with parchment and freeze it, then pop it out and put it in a freezer bag with the dish it should be cooked in written on the front. That way you free up your dishes but can still have a bunch of stuff stored away in the freezer!

103 Jen August 1, 2014

Yes! I do that (although I usually use foil), with the instructions and dish written on the bag (bonus — if you use dry-erase markers, you can wipe it off and use the bag again). Saves me from having all my dishes tied up in the freezer, and from any potential issues of frozen glass cracking.

You can either plop the food right in the dish still wrapped in the parchment or foil and cook it that way, or peel it off and put the frozen food directly into the dish.

104 Claire July 31, 2014

Apparently you can freeze avocado! http://wikihow.com/Freeze-Avocados – I looked it up when I bagged 11 ripe avocados for £1 and was planning to try it and save them… But I ate them all in a week so I can’t vouch for the results. So you could make avocado-based sauces and dips and save them for a less plentiful time of year!

105 Ana July 31, 2014

Label! Label! Label! LABEL PEOPLE!!!!!! We all know what that thing is when you put it in the freezer, but when things are frozen they can begin to look similar. There is a fine line in appearance between beany chilli and beany bolognaise, however, if you’ve already cooked the pasta…. Well. Even if your sure you will know, label anyway. Because other people routing in your freezer may not! And while your at it, you can always label the date as well (saves trying to remember!) This is especially important if your household isn’t 100% meat free.

106 Deirdre July 31, 2014

I recently took a course on food safety, and just wanted everyone to be careful with freezing. You shouldn’t let something “cool” out for longer than 2 hours, really. As soon as you think you can package something to put it in the freezer, you should. It cuts down on the chances of something beginning to grow in your food that might become dormant in the freezer then spring to life before/during/after cooking! Freezing is in no way dangerous – just make sure you don’t leave something out for hours and then freeze it!

Besides that, these recipes look mouth-watering!

107 Sharon July 31, 2014

I think you have a bambina on the way, no? ;)

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

yea good point, hah

109 Hannah Elizabeth July 31, 2014

Okay, I have never made your cauliflower sauce, but have made a couple of different versions of cauliflower sauce, and I am always freezing it. However, I have noticed that it often needs to be re-blended for ideal consistency, as it can get a little grainy. Yours quite possibly may work out fine, but I thought I’d mention it just in case. :)

110 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

I could see it getting grainy – great tip about re-blending!

111 Hailey July 31, 2014

I have frozen your curried lentil soup and it is delicious! I made a quadruple batch and have the majority of it still in the freezer. My husband LOVES that soup and was really upset when I put it all in the freezer. I just put it in freezer ziploc bags and laid them flat to freeze so that way they stack easily in the freezer.

112 Kristina July 31, 2014

Do you think it would be okay to freeze hummus?

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

I havent tried it, but check out this article: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/freeze-hummus-8347.html

114 Kristina August 1, 2014

Thank you! I tried it!

115 Suzanne July 31, 2014

Great post Angela – with a hungry family, I have tons of stuff in the freezers (we have 3 and I want a 4th!) and always make double/triple batches of things. My only problem is organizing the freezers – it is a constant issue! For burgers, berries and some other things – I will place on cookie sheet on parchment paper, freeze, then place in freezer safe container or bag – this way they do not stick together if I just want to grab one.

116 Helen July 31, 2014

A couple weeks ago I made your black bean and butternut squash burrito filling and froze it. I brought it on a week-long camping trip where I was cooking for fourteen adults, and it reheated beautifully, kept the cooler cold while it was defrosting, was delicious in wraps, and on its own (I’m gluten free) with toppings, and was one of the most popular meals of the week. One of the campers said “I can’t believe I like this so much and there’s no meat in it!” To which I said, “Did you think maybe the reason you like it so much is because there’s no meat in it?” He wasn’t willing to admit that, but the meal went over really well!

117 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

Wow, that’s so great it worked out for camping! :)

118 Nicola August 1, 2014

Great stuff. But I agree with a previous poster about using tin foil and plastic wrap with caution – some plastic wrap can apparently be dodgy when heated and/or in contact with high-fat foods, and as to tin foil see http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=newtip&dbid=8

119 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2014

thanks for sharing!
I might try wrapping in parchment and then putting in freezer bag for single serving things.

120 Morgan August 1, 2014

Yes! So excited about this! I’m really bad about eating leftovers in the fridge, so this is a great list for things I can throw in the freezer if I make too much!

121 stephanie August 1, 2014

LOVE your blog and recipes, Angela!!! I read all the comments with interest, as I am a long-time quadruple-batch freezing freak. In large ziplock bags or jars (all shapes and sizes), everything from cubes of fresh lemon juice and basil, mango/figs/dates/chunks of any fruit in season, veggie burgers to whole heads of garlic (which peel more easily when frozen), cookie dough, soups and salad dressings. A few additional suggestions that I didn’t see mentioned (forgive me if I missed them):

1. I use masking tape on the tops of jars for names and dates – tiny writing so there’s space to cross off old and write new contents.

2. I find that veggie burgers, cookie dough, etc. are best formed raw then frozen on silicon mats /parchment paper-lined trays) before being placed in freezer bags. (You can bake frozen burgers in the toaster oven without defrosting them first; cookie dough balls defrost quickly.) Same with anything you want to be able to separate easily after bagged and frozen, like stawberries, banana chunks, roasted garbanzo beans, baked or unbaked marinated tofu, pancakes, granola bars, etc. (I also try to reduce waste by not using plastic wrap and silver foil.) I dry kale and spinach before freezing in bags for later use in smoothies. Always squeeze out as much air as possible, then try sucking the corner of an almost-sealed bag to get out the rest of the air before sealing all the way.

3. I, too, have cracked my fair share of jars! You must not only allow space for expansion but also make sure contents are completely cooled. I often just prop the lid on top in the freezer, then screw it on a few hours/days after contents are frozen.

4. Someone already mentioned freezing ziplog bags flat for easier stacking. You can also squeeze a grid pattern with your fingers (bananas, other fruit, taco meat! Formerly frozen taco meat is great in wraps with cumin-spiced vegan mayo) so frozen pieces are easier to break off. You can put a large bag into a plastic bowl or rectangular/square container, pour in your soup then freeze in the container. Once frozen, lift bag out of bowl for storage. If you don’t want the mess of defrosting in plastic bags (like Angela, I also wash and reuse them), you can run a frozen bag under warm water then peel off the bag inside out/outside in, if that makes sense.

Happy freezing!

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2014

Awesome tips Stephanie! Thanks so much :)

123 Ashley August 1, 2014

I made the Italian bean balls tonight and everyone raved about them! Even my sister, who usually complains about the healthy food I cook, ate them and loved them! Thank you Angela!

124 Janis August 2, 2014

Hi Angela. Thanks for all your great recipes. Just a thought for you, since you mentioned freezing foods for after the baby is born…you may have to monitor what you eat if you nurse your baby. Lentils gave one of my kids horrendous explosive diapers, nuts bothered another, gassy veggies bothered a few. But it only lasts the first few months when they are so new and fragile! Blessings!

125 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2014

Very good point! Thanks for the reminder…I will keep an eye on that for sure :)

126 Mary @ Mary's Test Kitchen August 2, 2014

I love having freezer meals handy but hate the waste. I didn’t know you could freeze glassware. I’ll have to pick up some pyrex!

127 Amanda - Create N Plate August 3, 2014

Thank you for this!! So informative and will definitely save me a lot of time (and freezer burn). Now it’s time to see if I can make my way through all 21 recipes :)

128 Monica August 3, 2014

Hi Angela,

I’m also a freezer junkie because we use a lot of left over frozen meals for lunch at work the next day.

I have a tip for the frozen pesto. Don’t use the microwave to heat it up. The oil in the pest heats quickly and fries the nuts/tomato/basil. You end up with over cooked pesto. Instead what I like to do is take the pesto out a little earlier and put the container in a sink with hot water. The hot water will start to defrost the pesto properly and still keep the same consistency it started with. This means you can also use it when spreading on bread etc.

Thanks again!

129 Caden August 3, 2014

These look amazing! I love a good veggie burger, and these look like the crown jewels of the veggie burger world! I’ve been following your blog for a while, (great cookbook btw), and as polite as possible wanted to get the word out about my new blog (brand-spanking new) lifethriver.blogspot.com. My goal is to help everyday people survive and thrive in the modern world. It will focus more on living life to your fullest, and I am extremely grateful that there are people like you already helping people on their way! Keep up the good work!

130 Nat Carter August 4, 2014

Yum these recipes look simple and delicious. Freezer meals are a must have in my house!

131 Petra August 5, 2014

Wow! I had no idea that freezing could be this complicated, so many useful tips in your post and the comments below! Like one year ago, I was freezing only fruits and vegetables from the garden that we couldn’t have eat all but then I changed my job and had no time to cook every day (or better to say, more than a few times per week) so I was wondering how to solve this situation. At first I was just cooking for more days but my sons were quite bored of eating the same meal over and over, so now we ended up with the combination of cooking and takeaway restaurants what might sound pretty unhealthy… Fortunately, we have many raw and vegan places in Toronto, plus the best ones use ingredients from local farmers and the food looks and tastes great (for example, like jamiesarner.com/toronto-life/2014/08/best-raw-restaurants/). Well, this in not very cost-effective because to eat healthy, especially in Toronto, is quite expensive… So I think freezing can be the best solution for making the meals not so boring… I just need to develop a good system for it so everyone could find what they’re searching for! :)

132 Alex @ Kenzie Life August 6, 2014

This is a great post! I like freezing things so I have food on hand for those nights when I get from work and school and am just too tired to do any real cooking!

133 Sippi August 7, 2014

Thank you so much for this list! It could not have come at a better time. My parents and mother in law will be staying with us for the Jewish New Year. I work full time so I will need to cook and freeze. I was planning on freezing your Tex Mex Casserole from the cookbook because my husband loves it so much, do you think that will freeze well? I’m a little worried about the rice getting a weird texture.

134 Sippi August 7, 2014

Sorry one more question! How about the lentil walnut loaf, do you think that will freeze well?

135 Melissa S August 9, 2014

I have been looking around for some freezer ideas as it is something that my partner and I really want to try and get into the habit of doing! We have his 2-year-old daughter every other weekend and these days can get a bit hectic!

Thank you for the amazing suggestions Angela! I am also in the midst of going through your cookbook that my partner bought for my birthday :) Can’t wait to try out more recipes!

136 Kelli August 11, 2014

I’ve had great success freezing the favorite veggie burgers, trail mix cookies and almond butter chocolate chip cookies from the cookbook. Yesterday, I froze the tomato sauce with mushrooms and lentil for the first time. We’ll see how that one does. Pesto also freezes beautifully! Freezing soups in smaller containers has made it much easier to de-thaw, especially when I just want a service and don’t want to unfrost the entire batch.
I’m about to be without a kitchen for a few weeks during a kitchen reno, Angela so you’re timing was perfect. Thank you!!

137 Cara August 11, 2014

I just made the baked oatmeal for the first time–I’m trying to freeze as many things on this list as I can!–and it smells really good, but I’m afraid it’s not holding together as well as I wanted. Is the recipe designed to make something like a bar (like the way oatmeal congeals if you cook it on the stovetop and then let it cool) or is it supposed to be more … just like something that needs to be eaten in a bowl??

138 Kim August 21, 2014

I always make double batches and freeze one. Soups, casseroles, burgers, muffins, sweets. I usually cook extra dry beans and freeze in 1 1/2 cup increments (what most recipes call for) and then I can just pull a bag out and toss it in any recipe. I individually wrap things like muffins or burgers and keep in a large,ziploc bag, a burger takes only 1 minute in microwave. Muffins can be taken out the night before for breakfast or put in a lunchbox and will defrost by lunch. I made black bean burgers today and froze half. Doing this is the way I stay sane through the week caring for 2 grandchildren, plus its economical.

139 EatFreeRecipes August 25, 2014

This is SO fantastic! My sister-in-law and I were just discussing a “freezer cooking day” and splitting and trading half to eachother for a bigger variety with less work…and I’m pretty sure you just prepared the menu for us!
Thanks bunches! :)

140 Wendy August 25, 2014

I have found that vacuum-packing anything I freeze prevents freezer burn for far longer than anything I have ever used. I use something called a Food Saver, but you could more easily and cheaply do what one commenter suggested and suck the air out of the bag best you can. There are devices for that also, though I haven’t tried them. Love all these suggestions. Thank you so much everyone! Best wishes for wonderful times with your new babies, all you who are pregnant or new moms. Time passes so quickly and life changes come all the time. It’s good to feel prepared, as even our best friends and families have such differing ideas about what we should be eating! Make your own and freeze or can it, and you’ll thank yourself!

141 tracey August 26, 2014

these are great i wish i this was posted while i was pregnant! it is super easy to pull something out and make a salad after a day of being with baby. enjoy your little one and get used to one handed typing :)

142 Sue Melnyk August 27, 2014

Hi Angela – just bought your cookbook and OMG it is incredible ! Fabulous recipes and wonderful photos of what the dish should look like once completed (always a must ). Will be kept busy this long weekend trying lots of them. Thanks so much…Sue

143 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2014

Thank you Sue! I’m so happy you enjoy it so far :)

144 Melanie Abed August 31, 2014

These are great tips for freezing! I also switched to glass containers 4 years ago, and have run into a few issues along the way that I wanted to share with you.

The biggest issue to note on the Pyrex glass containers is that they lack the amounts of borosilicate glass they once had in the 50’s and 60’s when our parents used them.

World Kitchen bought Pyrex a few years back and decided to change the chemical make up of the glass, which resulted in the glass cracking either in the freezer or in the oven, especially at high temperatures. There are oodles of stories about this issue on the net, which you can research, too, however, now I only use Frigoverre, an Italian glass company that does not skimp on the borosilicate compound used, or other brands that guarantee they use full borosilicate. I buy my Frigoverre on amazon.

Thanks Angela!
Melanie

145 marika September 7, 2014

Hi, so I recently went vegan but ive been experiencing fatigue memory loss, loss of hair lack of concentration. Any advice? Does it mean I cant be vegan now without reaching my max potential?

146 Shayna September 28, 2014

What’s the third picture down on the right?
Hello, mama!

147 Sally September 29, 2014

I love your website and have been a fan of your recipes for some time!
The freezer ideas are great. I am expecting my 4th baby and so maybe,
just maybe I will prepare food ahead of time (since I do love my husband) :)
I wanted to mention, and you may already be aware…
Don’t let aluminum foil touch the food so it will not absorb. I normally will do and in-between
layer of parchment paper and then foil. Just like you would use aluminum free baking powder, you don’t want the aluminum to absorb because it is toxic. My uncle is a master herbalist and has helped LOTS of people with cancer recover with natural health and no treatment. He shared this with me and so I am passing it on :)

148 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2014

Hello Sally,

This is a great idea! I will be using this tip for sure. Thanks!

149 Helen October 7, 2014

great site!

150 Ashlee October 10, 2014

I’m new to freezing foods as I live in a small condo and there’s not too much space. All of you seem like experts in this field. What sort of containers should I use to freeze food items? Are glass containers safe? or plastic is a better choice?

151 Brigitte Gaudreault October 16, 2014

Such fun reading your recipes and certainly a joy to experiment with and a “Pleasure” to eat !!
Brigitte Gaudreault
Sherbrooke Québec

152 Susan November 4, 2014

My oh my Angela! I just received my oh she glows cookbook, and have worked through a few recipes that were sooo good. Tonight I decided to make the Tex-Mex casserole to take to my daughters this week. I portioned it off into two casseroles so my husband and I could enjoy one right away. Wow! I don’t think I’ve tried a vegan recipe yet that is so satisfying to meat lovers as well. I used a gluten free mix of quinoa/amaranth/millet that provided a texture of ground meat instead of the rice, but otherwise was faithful to the recipe. It was outstanding, thank you! I think I will make another batch for the freezer soon in preparation for the busy holiday season. I am freezing this unbaked and adding the corn chip topping later, unless you would advise otherwise.

153 Katharine in Brussels November 17, 2014

Hi Angela, re-visiting this great post as the second trimester recipe tryouts are here–kwim for stocking the freezer in the third?–and thanks to you I am now slowly building up a stock of Pyrex freezer/oven storage containers.
Here’s a tip: undercook veggies & pasta that are destined for the freezer. I undercook pasta by the al dente time minus 2 minutes since -1 min and it’s still cooked by the time the pasta cools off for the fridge then freezer.

154 Emily December 8, 2014

Hi, thanks for posting! Isn’t foil pretty bad in terms of the environment for being produced and difficult to recycle? It has to be mined from ore which is huge in waste and then refined, transported and produced. It also takes over 400 years to break down in land fills and if burnt releases toxic gases. I have been avoiding using it like the plague and reuse plastic wrap instead.

155 lynn February 3, 2015

Hi there,

Regarding the wrap and freeze method, are you concerned about the link between
alzheimers and aluminum foil? How about Press’nSeal?

Lynn

156 Bobby February 17, 2015

Just saw a link to your blog on facebook. Absolutely love the recipes and the time couldn’t be better. I am off to visit my adult daughter and would love to cook for her. So thankful.

I’ve just glanced at a couple of your posts. Aren’t infants a joy? Welcome to the world of tired. You will experience such love.

Blessings and thanks

157 Lisa February 21, 2015

I love your recipes! I’ve made the sweet potato, black bean and red quinoa soup before and it was very good! I am now attempting to meal plan/prep and am having difficulty figuring out how to prepare and store things. For example, for the soup: do you cook the whole recipe and then freeze or would you freeze everything except the quinoa until the day you are eating it? Thank you for all your advice and recipes! :)

158 Tara May 27, 2015

Wondering if anyone has done these recipes for a cook once for a month type of plan?

159 fernandesjoseph July 17, 2015

Glad you like our blog. Keep posting on.Vegan food offers ultimate international vegan cuisine experience.quick weight loss

160 fernandesjoseph July 17, 2015

I love this blog, everything is so informational and well put together!..cheap vegan recipes

161 Taryn August 18, 2015

Hey- i’m a 17 year old vegan and my meals are mostly pretty quick dash! i love your creativity but could you recommend some of your more basic, simple recipes to get me started? love the look of them all though!

162 Stacy Tarbutton August 30, 2015

Thank you so much for sharing your healthy recipes. With your stories of health and your inspirational cooking, I feel motivated to get healthy and start trying a new way of looking at food. Thank you, thank you! I’m off to the market!

163 greg October 3, 2015

wow loved that cauliflower felluicine alfredo, sauce from cauli go figure

164 Emily October 24, 2015

Im wondering if you can put all the ingredients in a freezer safe container uncooked. Then freeze it, and pull it out to cook on a later day?

Has anyone tried that?

165 Airyfairycelt November 22, 2015

I would love some more, those balls are great with salads, Buddha bowls, veg and rice or potatoes, curries or a few on a soup, travel with a couple of roti…. Oh yes, I love those!
I love a good pie to cut pieces of and freeze (completely not suttle hint!). A good vegan, gf pastry and plenty of leftover tyoe things and sauce, you know…. But oh they do go well with all the previous.
Me? Lazy, cheap and cheerful. Do the thing and portion it (weight control working so well) and freeze. Siberian (official Irish temperatures yesterday and me post flu jab and feeling rotten) but so happy to go to store brr! And fish out HIS and hers. Some rotis (good and spicy) for me to go with raw salad and hot lime pickle, mmmm! Fruits and sunflower and pumpkin seeds, lecithin granules,(pretty too) Him? Cheese, onion, potato pie, various beany mixture and and sauce, his fruit pie (tsk!) also…. But all home made so not quite as awful as it sounds. I mind him or there is dietary STUFF that makes me shudder!

166 daniel January 11, 2016

Nice recipes in vegetarian would like to try it out.

167 Ashley January 25, 2016

Thanks so much for this post! I am not vegan, but my beloved vegan next door neighbor fell and broke her leg badly today and is going to be on bed rest for weeks recovering. I wanted to make them a bunch of freezer meals so her husband could easily make things for her husband to cook for her. Not being a vegan, I took to the internet to find something and this was perfect! I’m going to make the veggie burgers, the black bean and butternut squash burrito filling, and at least one of the casseroles. Thanks so much!

168 Deborah January 27, 2016

Hi Angela
I just wanted to say thank you for all the recipes you share on your website and your Book! Every single one I have made has been amazing!!! I look forward to all your new recipes and books! Any time I have made one of your dishes for friends and family, those are always the recipes that are loved and that are requested and of course shared!

With much gratitude!
Deborah

169 meridwen February 5, 2016

Someone asked about alternatived to foil and plastic to help seal the containers, and it brought to mind a neighbor of mine when I was a little girl. She had a large garden and said she was “getting too old” to can the produce, so would freeze it in her canning jars. She would fill them to within about an inch or so from the top and put the lids on loosely, then freeze them overnight. She would take them back out the next day and pour about a 1/4 in of water over the frozen food, then tighten the lids and put them back in the freezer. I’ve never tried this myself, and only just remembered her doing it.

170 Donna February 16, 2016

Just a comment about tomatoes. If you have an abundance from your garden you can rinse them, remove the stem attachment point and freeze them. When ready to use, just rinse and the skin will come off when you do. No blanching needed.

171 Hannah February 22, 2016

The chana masala from the cookbook freezes like a DREAM. I like to double the recipe and add a bag of frozen green peas. Also, I like to undercook the onions slightly as they will soften upon reheating.

172 daniel February 23, 2016

meal snack is quite different .iam going to try out today .thanks for posting very health and amazing recipes.

173 daniel March 10, 2016

meal snack was really good tasty and yummy recipe.thanks for the recipe.

174 Patricia April 10, 2016

Have you ever frozen the filling for the Broccoli & cashew cheese/ quinoa burrito, and if so how, and how well did it freeze?

175 TheWickfreeCandleChick July 21, 2016