Gena’s Hemp Seed Tabouli

hempseedtabouli 9516   Gena’s Hemp Seed Tabouli

Don’t you love when you come across a recipe and it’s made in a way that has never occurred to you before? Culinary discoveries are one of my favourite things about vegan food creation. Before I started experimenting with a plant-based diet, I had no idea there were so many exciting ways to change up traditional animal-based recipes. Almonds make milk? Coconut Cream makes whipped cream? Avocados make chocolate pudding? Lentils make meatloaf and taco meat? Cauliflower makes alfredo sauce? Buckwheat makes raw porridge? GET OUT.

Almost 6 years later, I’m still discovering new twists on classic recipes and often find they taste even better than the real thing. Just when I feel like I can’t possibly come up with a new recipe, I’m inspired by talented bloggers, restaurants/bakeries, and cookbooks just to name a few.

One such talented blogger who has become a dear friend over the years is Gena Hamshaw from the blog, Choosing Raw. She’s been a constant source of inspiration since my early days of blogging (waaaaay back to 2008), so I was naturally excited to be offered a copy of her first cookbook. Her writing is evocative, thoughtful, and informative and her recipes are uncomplicated, full of plants, and always satisfying. If you’ve ever thought that raw recipes require too many steps or hard-to-find ingredients, Gena’s recipes prove just how simple and unfussy they can really be.

hempseedtabouli 9510   Gena’s Hemp Seed Tabouli

Case in point: This Hemp Seed Tabouli straight from Gena’s new cookbook, Choosing Raw: Making Raw Foods Part of the Way You Eat.

Rather than using bulgur in her tabouli recipe, Gena uses hulled hemp seeds. I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of using hulled hemp seeds as a base for tabouli before (cauliflower and quinoa variations were as crazy as I got), but it’s a brilliant swap. This easy switch packs in loads of protein and healthy omega fatty acids, while doing without any cooking. Just chop, mix, and serve. Isn’t that what summer meals are all about? It’s the perfect recipe to whip up for a quick lunch on a hot day and even better if you are without an oven during a renovation. Pair this tabouli with some hummus and crackers (I served it with my Endurance Crackers made in the dehydrator instead of the oven!) and you have yourself a fine summer lunch packed with fresh summer veggies, protein, healthy fats, and more. Fresh, fresh, fresh!

hempseedtabouliveganraw   Gena’s Hemp Seed Tabouli

Gena's Hemp Seed Tabouli

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

5 from 2 reviews
print icon   Gena’s Hemp Seed Tabouli

Tabouli with a high-protein twist! A tasty raw summer dish that doesn't require any cooking and comes together in less than 10 minutes. Try serving it with my Endurance Crackers and hummus for a fun mezze platter. Recipe from Choosing Raw by Gena Hamshaw. Reprinted with permission from Da Capo Lifelong, © 2014.

Yield
4 servings
Prep Time
Cook time
0 Minutes
Total Time

Ingredients:

• 1 cup fresh parsley
  • 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (I used 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon)
  • 4 medium yellow vine or Jersey tomatoes, chopped (I used 2-3 large red tomatoes)
  • 1 cup shelled hemp seeds
  • 2 tablespoons hemp oil (I used olive oil)
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Directions:

1. In a food processor fitted with the “S” blade, process the parsley, mint, and sea salt until minced.2. Transfer the herbs and salt to a large mixing bowl. Add the tomatoes, hemp seeds, hemp oil, and lemon juice. Mix well, and serve.Stored in an airtight container in the fridge, the tabouli will keep for 2 days.

Choosing Raw is packed with 125 fresh and easy recipes (many of which don’t even require an oven), in addition to a few opening chapters on vegan nutrition, myths and misconceptions, and how to get started. I have several of her recipes bookmarked during our kitchen renovation. The other night I made the Raw Gazpacho and it was lovely too. I threw in some fresh dill and hemp hearts for fun.

For dessert, I tried out Gena’s Raw Key Lime Pie. This is a fun treat to stash in the freezer during the summer.

veganrawkeylimetart   Gena’s Hemp Seed Tabouli

I made cupcake-sized tarts instead of one 9-inch pie. We just love eating these straight from the freezer. I should also note that I changed up the crust. I cut the cashews down to 1 cup (from 2 cups) and then used 1 cup of rolled oats in its place to save some money. Then I just added a tablespoon of water to make the dough stick together nicely. Worked like a charm!

vegankeylimetarts 9560   Gena’s Hemp Seed Tabouli

Be sure to check out Gena’s cookbook: Choosing Raw: Making Raw Foods Part of the Way You Eat if you are looking for easy ways to incorporate more raw (or just veggie-centric) foods into your diet.

Beth @ Tasty Yummies July 28, 2014

OMG this is just brilliant!! I cannot wait to try it and to check out this amazing book!

Ashley | Blissful Basil July 28, 2014

Hemp seeds in tabouli?? What a brilliant idea! This looks so simple, delicious and superfood-ish. Completely agree with you about always finding out about new and smart ways to veganize and up the health factor in classic recipes; I’m surprised on an almost-daily basis by amazing creations like this one.

…And your photos: gorgeous!

Jill July 28, 2014

Speaking of swaps for traditional animal-based recipes, I tried your “tuna” recipe yesterday and it turned out amazing! (I posted about it here: http://homeatsix.com/2014/07/nicoise-salad/)

Those raw key lime pie tarts look awesome! Sounds like a great recipe book.. will check out!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 28, 2014

So glad it was a hit! I make that recipe all the time (both almond and chickpea variations).

Tom @ Raise Your Garden July 28, 2014

This looks like something I saw in taste of homes but I like your twists. And yes guys read taste of homes as well as woman! Looks delicious and will definitely be trying this !

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan July 28, 2014

I never would have thought of using hemp seeds this way! I just used the last of mine for breakfast, so I’m going to need to get more! : )

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh July 28, 2014

I’m in quite the food rut right now, this looks like a great way to climb out!

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health July 28, 2014

this is very interesting – i got a whole bag of hemp seed begging me to use…

Archana @The Perfect Zest July 28, 2014

truly brilliant – I bought hemp seeds on a whim and didn’t know how to use them. I’m a huge fan of tabouli – I’m definitely making this! Also a fan of Choosing Raw!

Glitter Coated Lenses July 28, 2014

This looks delicious but where can you get hemp seed? Whole Foods?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 28, 2014

You can find it at most grocery stores these days (try the natural food section or bulk food section if they have one), online, and yes specialty stores like Whole Foods or natural food stores too. Hope this helps!

Eunice July 29, 2014

I have found them for several months at my local Costco.

Sharon July 28, 2014

I love hemp seeds so obviously I love the idea of them in this salad! :) And those mini pies look incredible. Both of these recipes look fresh and summer-y and the photography is perfection. Thanks Gena & Angela! :)

Terri July 28, 2014

Looks delish. This would be a great cottage dish, cuz who wants to be stuck cooking inside while at the cottage, not me.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar July 28, 2014

Hemp seed?! COOL! This looks great!

Alex @ Kenzie Life July 28, 2014

Your cookbook and Gena’s are the only 2 cookbooks I’ve ever pre-ordered and waited for eagerly. I love her recipes and like you said, they are so easy and make raw food less daunting. I can’t wait to try this recipe and I’ve been eyeing the vegan key lime pie, but I might borrow your idea and make cupcake sized ones–they’re so adorable!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 28, 2014

Thank you Alex! I’m loving all the recipes too. :)

Christina July 28, 2014

Ohhh looks so good & it’s time I tried the endurance crackers! We just pulled out our dehydrator so i’m intrigued to try them that way – how did you do it? Thanks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 28, 2014

Hey Christina,
I just spread the cracker “dough” onto a dehydrator sheet (I expect you could use parchment paper too!) in a thin layer. Then I dehydrated at 115F for several hours until firm and crisp. I lost track of how long I dehydrated them for, so I suggest just keeping an eye on them! The longer you dehydrate the crispier they will get.

Polly @ Tasty Food Project July 28, 2014

I love learning from other bloggers as well! There are so many creative people out there! This recipe looks so refreshing and is so perfect for the summer!

Katie @ Produce on Parade July 28, 2014

I just bought some hemp seeds for the first time! Might have to make this :) I know I am learning so much with regards to substituting and creating foods thanks to becoming vegan!

Emma July 28, 2014

I loved this recipe too! In fact I’ve loved everything I’ve made from the book. The recipes are so darn accessible that I’m finding myself turning to the book almost every day!
Your Endurance crackers are on the must-make list!

Eliza July 28, 2014

Thanks for nice recipe, and awesome idea with seeds. Gluten free is really important thing. Eliza :)))

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 28, 2014

Tabbouleh for lunch and lime tarts for dessert sound like a plan to me! I love Gena’s blog and lately have been a terrible blog reader but am definitely going to check out her cookbook. There’s an enormous bag of hemp seeds sitting in my cupboard and I know exactly what I’m going to do with them! :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks July 28, 2014

I just got Gena’s book and have been thumbing through it…and seeing this makes me want to stop thumbing through and start cooking! Beautiful and pinned! :)

Millie July 28, 2014

What a fantastic idea Angela!! I love it!

youtube.com/addalittlefood

Keri July 28, 2014

I think I need to BUY the book. Recipes that don’t involve cooking?! For a new mom?!?! In this summer heat?!?!!! Yes please. And thank you–for the inspiration. :)

Medha July 28, 2014

Wow, this looks amazing!

Michelle July 28, 2014

Gorgeous salad. I can’t buy hemp seeds where I live, but I’ll pin for later. And thanks for the reminder about those endurance crackers. I used to make those for long flights, but haven’t thought about them in a while. I love them!

Amanda - Create N Plate July 28, 2014

This looks wonderful!! Definitely need to buy that book now. Thanks for sharing!!

Kristen July 28, 2014

Angela, Hi…We had your cauliflower tabouli , your hummus, and endurance crackers for dinner! Awesome again! Thank you sooo much! The key lime pie cupcakes look great! Did a Eric ever get my email for the recipe bundle and meal plan? I sent to him like you told me. You are amazing! Fabulous recipes with no kitchen, heart of summer, and pregnant with your a First Baby! Thank you..you are appreciated! Kristen :)

Gena July 28, 2014

Great modification of the crust, Ange! And what a lovely post. I’m so glad you liked the book, and your photos of the tabouli are making my mouth water!

Lesli July 28, 2014

I am enjoying my Oh She Glows cookbook and am hoping that in the future (time flies) you will share some baby food recipes with the public too. Warm wishes.

Britny W July 28, 2014

Angela this is unrelated to today’s post, but I messed up and need your help! I made the balsamic glazed tempeh from your cookbook, and my glaze is not good at all. I am forcing myself to eat it. I used soy sauce instead of tamari. Do you think that’s the issue? The only other thing I can think of is that my balsamic vinegar is about 4 years old. Any suggestions would be helpful! :)

Christine July 28, 2014

I got the book last week and am working my way through it. Thanks for the notes on the tart, I made some notes in my book :) How many tartlets did it make? I would like to do the individual ones too. Also can’t wait to make the tabouli. PS love your pregancy updates and you look stunning.

Marie July 28, 2014

I will be trying this recipe ASAP! I believe Costco carries hemp hearts at a decent price. Thank you for broadening my Tabouli horizons!

Kari @ Cooking with Toddlers July 29, 2014

I love the idea of using hemp seed in taboulli! We make a big batch of it weekly and I can’t wait to try out this variation. I’ll also have to get my hands on a copy of Gena’s cookbook ASAP!

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables July 29, 2014

I am SO looking forward to getting a copy of this book. And I love how many cool twists there are on traditional recipes these days. I’ve been making my own raw tabbouleh with parsnips lately, so yummy! I think next time I make it I’ll try throwing some hemp seeds into the mix too.

Ami@naivecookcooks July 29, 2014

Angela I need to get my hands on that book soon! This tabbouleh is unique and those tarts are just gorgeous!!

Vanessa @ VeganFamilyRecipes July 29, 2014

I’m so late to the party when it comes to hemp seeds. I have no idea why I’ve been so reluctant to try them. I keep thinking of hemp clothing and can’t see myself liking that taste ;D Stupid of me I know. However, this tabbouleh recipe looks gorgeous and the hemp seeds look edible! I think I’ll finally give them a try.
Thanks Angela!

anne-marie July 29, 2014

Yum. A great go-to salad for summer picnics =)

Connie July 30, 2014

So excited to see this posting, as I have been craving key lime pie and was getting ready to ask you if you had any thoughts on a vegan version – I’ve already ordered Gena’s cookbook, and, as another post said, the only other cookbook I was more excited to receive was yours!

Nikki July 31, 2014

Your recipes are AHHH-MAZING! You’re such a vegan food inspiration! I’ve already made 3 of your recipes today! Thanks, Angela!!

Suzanne July 31, 2014

Love this cookbook too – you and Gena are my biggest inspirations :-)

Shelagh August 1, 2014

Just how does one make Tabouli any eaiser??? Hemp hearts, of course! What a brilliant idea. Made this a couple of evenings ago… amazing. Definitely a go-to Tabouli recipe. Thanks.

Page 1 of 212»