8 Favourite Vegan Lunch & Dinner Recipes of 2013

bestveganrecipes2   8 Favourite Vegan Lunch & Dinner Recipes of 2013

Happy New Year! I hope 2014 is being good to you so far. I spent the first day of the year watching the Winter Classic hockey game (so fun!), working on a bonus e-book (details to come), and making a tasty soup recipe with Eric. It was a fun, quiet day…no complaints here!

This past year brought with it many challenges, as they always do. One major work-related challenge for me was juggling recipe creation, writing, and testing for both the cookbook and this blog. Most of the time I felt like I wasn’t accomplishing much on either end, always torn between both demands even though I was working more hours than ever. There were a lot of unexpected stressors that came up along the way. I learned so much from writing a book and I’m so grateful for the experience though. It pushed me way out of my comfort zone and forced me to improve, grow, and learn in many different areas. I like to think of 2012/2013 as recipe creation boot camp. After 2 intense years, I’m eager to start new projects. Oh, and make more time for fun. Who knows what adventures 2014 will bring…

I heard a quote yesterday from Dick Irvin who said something to the effect of, “When life knocks you down, make sure it knocks you forward.” What wise words! It reminds me of my dear grandpa who has been through so many difficult challenges with his health over the past few years. They definitely knocked him forward, I can say with utmost certainty. And not only did his positivity get him through the toughest of times, but he tells my mom what a blessing it has been because it brought out the best in his family. My goal for 2014 is to be knocked forward from whatever challenges may come my way. As luck would have it, I trip on things a lot so hopefully this forward momentum continues!

As I like to do at the beginning of each year, I’ve put together a list some of my favourite vegan recipes from the past year. Since many of us, myself included, tend to be looking for healthy lunch and dinner ideas for the new year, I thought this list would be especially timely. So here they are, my favourite lunch and dinner recipes of 2013! I’ve included the top 3 most clicked entrée recipes at the end of this post in case you are curious which ones got the most hits. And of course, feel free to tell me yours in the comments!

1. Thai Sweet Potato Burgers with Spicy Peanut Sauce

Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free option, refined sugar-free

Bursting with flavour, these Thai-inspired veggie burgers will make your every dream come true! The patties are made with a base of shredded sweet potato and chickpeas and are flavoured with fresh garlic, ginger, cilantro, basil, and a sprinkle of lime juice and sesame seed oil. Oh my lanta, they are good. These burgers are naturally gluten-free and you can make them soy-free by using coconut aminos instead of the tamari (or simply omit the tamari all together).

thaiburger 2377   8 Favourite Vegan Lunch & Dinner Recipes of 2013

2. Roasted Buddha Bowl

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, sugar-free

Crunchy roasted chickpeas and hearty roasted cauliflower and broccoli are topped with a creamy cashew-based lemon tahini sauce. Try serving it with a base of quiona for a meal that will keep you going for hours. I’ve even heard from a few moms that their young children love this bowl!

buddhabowl 2460   8 Favourite Vegan Lunch & Dinner Recipes of 2013

3. Ultimate 4-Layer Vegan Sandwich

Vegan, no bake/raw, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free

Do I ever love a great sandwich. Toasted sprouted grain bread is slathered with hummus and homemade sun-dried tomato hemp pesto all topped off with sliced avocado, tomato, and red pepper flakes. This is one vegan sandwich that you won’t soon forget! Try it in a wrap if you don’t want to use toasted bread. For a gluten-free option, use gluten-free bread (or wrap) or try serving it wrapped in Bibb lettuce for a grain-free option.

sandwich   8 Favourite Vegan Lunch & Dinner Recipes of 2013

4. Rad Rainbow Raw Pad Thai

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake, refined sugar-free, soy-free option

Ready to feel amazing? This salad is inspired by a raw Pad Thai dish I enjoyed at a restaurant called Marbles in Waterloo. It just might be one of my favourite recipes of all time. It’s hard to rival how energized and happy I feel after eating it! For a soy-free option omit the edamame (you can throw in a bean of choice) and use coconut aminos instead of tamari.

rawpadthai 6808   8 Favourite Vegan Lunch & Dinner Recipes of 2013

5. Sundried Tomato, Mushroom, and Spinach Tofu Quiche

Vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free

This was my first time making a tofu quiche and it blew us away! Many of you are loving it too; I’ve had so many rave reviews about this quiche. Enjoy it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack. I’ve made this a few different ways simply by changing up the vegetables used. One version used asparagus (1 cup diced) and broccoli (1.5 cups diced), which was also very nice. The only thing I would advise against is using a high-water vegetable, like fresh tomatoes as it might result in a water-logged quiche. Best of all, it reheats well. Simply place leftover quiche on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 350F.

quiche 8645   8 Favourite Vegan Lunch & Dinner Recipes of 2013

6. Smoky Butternut Squash Sauce with Pasta and Greens

Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, soy-free, sugar-free

Creamy comfort food at its finest. This recipe is adapted from my Butternut Squash Mac and Cheeze recipe from 2011. While the former version is a huge hit on the blog, some of you didn’t like how sweet the sauce is. This version I’m sharing today is still quite sweet thanks to the butternut squash and cashews, but I’ve tried to balance it out better with some smoky seasonings like liquid smoke, chili powder, smoked paprika, and some hot sauce for a kick and more depth of flavour. It’s a big hit in this house. This sauce is also great heated up and poured over roasted vegetables and brown rice if you don’t want pasta. Use it any way you see fit! I think you’ll be surprised by how creamy and satisfying it is all without a lick of butter or oil.

veganmacandcheese 1909 2   8 Favourite Vegan Lunch & Dinner Recipes of 2013

7. Easy Flaked Almond “Tuna” Salad

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free option, no bake

I think this almond “tuna” salad tastes even better than the real thing. The base of this salad is made with plump soaked almonds which are processed until “flaked” in texture. To bulk up the flaked almonds, I added celery, garlic, and green onion for more flavour and crunch. Finally some oil-based mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and lemon juice brought everything together. The end result is creamy, crunchy, a bit tangy, and seriously, seriously hard to resist. I couldn’t stop eating it straight from the bowl! Try it on top of a salad, in cucumber cups, lettuce wraps, on toasted sprouted-grain bread.

almondtunabites 8486   8 Favourite Vegan Lunch & Dinner Recipes of 2013

8. Black Bean & Potato Nacho Plate

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, sugar-free, nut-free

This is the meal to make when you have no idea what to make.

This is the meal to make when you just want to devour a huge plate of nachos and call it dinner.

This plate is a staple in our house because we usually have most of the ingredients on hand. During the months when tomatoes are not in season, I like to use a jar of salsa instead of the cherry tomatoes.

potatoandblackbeannachos 3297   8 Favourite Vegan Lunch & Dinner Recipes of 2013

Here are the 2013 lunch/dinner recipes that had the most page views:

3. Green Powerhouse Pesto Plate

2. Roasted Buddha Bowl

1. Rad Rainbow Raw Pad Thai (<—2013 winner!!)

Did you have a favourite recipe form 2013? Share below!

Wishing you all the best 2014 has to offer.

Jessica Rose January 2, 2014

Wowsers..thanks for all these great recipes…Happy New Year…and here’s to a wonderful 2014. x

vodkaandarose.blogspot.co.uk

Shaina January 2, 2014

All of these recipes sound amazing. I’m pinning just about every single one and can’t wait to try them out!

Jesse @OutToLunchC January 2, 2014

These all look delicious! I can’t to try the Roasted Buddha Bowl. I don’t know if its from 2013 but I make your cheesy broccoli soup all the time, I LOVE it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2014

Jesse, I’m glad you are still enjoying that recipe! It’s been a while since I made it, but I think I should dig it up soon.

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } January 2, 2014

I make that roasted buddha bowl at least once a month – it’s so incredible!

Charlotte January 2, 2014

Happy new year to you, too, Angela! I came across ohsheglows.com in March 2013 and since then have tried so many of your vegan recipes although I have never cosidered becoming vegan before. I still make the odd exception for milk and dairy (mostly so that I don’t offend loved ones who prepared something especially for me) but generally I try to avoid it. Thank you for opening my eyes to vegan cooking in 2013 and for helping me to find enjoyment in cooking and eating again! May 2014 be a great year for you :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2014

Hey Charlotte, I’m so happy to hear that you are enjoying the recipes! Thanks for trying them out. And I always say you don’t have to be vegan to enjoy my vegan recipes, so I’m always happy to hear when they fit into a variety of different diets. All the best to you in 2014. :)

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh January 2, 2014

Wonderful wrap up and wishing you all the best for 2014!

Rachel Cotterill January 2, 2014

These all look so yummy, and ever so colourful :)

Lyric January 2, 2014

I loved your gooey banana peanut butter oats! They are seriously amazing!

Rayla January 2, 2014

Over the past few months I have tried many of your recipes and love all of them! You inspired to start my own blog, veganfortheweek.com about my own experiences being vegan (for 6 days a week) and finding easy recipes that my kids will eat too! Thank you for all the great recipe ideas. I can’t wait to try more.

Shel@PeachyPalate January 2, 2014

I still need to make that pesto power plate!!! Any success making your own nachos?

Averie @ Averie Cooks January 2, 2014

What a great list and I can see why all of them are in the top 10! I hope your 2014 is a great one, Angela! The fact that you’ve got your book behind you automatically makes it way calmer, right! :)

Cassie January 2, 2014

Those Thai Sweet Potato Burgers were the first thing I stumbled across to make on your blog and they were SO good that I had to make more… more of them and more of more stuff! Last week I tried the Italian Bean Balls… yummy!

simple green moms January 2, 2014

Love your pics! And LOVE the vegan sandwich =) avo toast is amazing!!!

Kate January 2, 2014

That Pad Thai looks awesome! I’m dying to try it — perfect for January, when all you want is a bowl of veggies (but not a salad — it’s freezing out).

Stephanie Godwin January 2, 2014

I have to agree with you on that sandwich. I eat it year round very frequently it’s amazing! Any other suggestions for healthy recipes to take to work? I am not a vegan but I do eat a lot of vegan foods in my diet ( thanks to you!) I find that it is harder to bring some of those meals to work. Any suggestions?

Emma (This Kind Choice) January 2, 2014

The roasted buddha bowl is definitely a favourite that I have made time and time again! I also tried and loved the quiche. Have a wonderful beginning of the year :)

Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes January 2, 2014

I make your butternut squash mac and cheese all. the. time. I usually sub canned pumpkin for squash because it makes everything come together a little quicker, but it is ridiculously delicious. I haven’t tried the smokey version yet, but I need to asap.

Coral January 3, 2014

Jordan, I have three cans of pumpkin left over from the holidays. Do you do anything else differently or just sub the pumpkin for the squash and that’s it?

Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes January 4, 2014

Yes, I just substitute the pumpkin for butternut squash 1:1.

Christine (The Raw Project) January 2, 2014

Great recipe recap, we especially need to try the pasta dish – wow! Happy New Year!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 2, 2014

Oh my goodness, I TOTALLY forgot about the Thai Sweet Potato Burgers!! Thank you so much for the reminder. It’s been so cold lately that all I want to eat is nice warm meals, so some of these are sounding mighty appealing right now!

Elizabeth-Hippy Mom January 2, 2014

Angela, with all that schooling you have why don’t you have a practice, I need a session, always? I always wanted to tell you I’m working on my associates of applied science, working on becoming a medical researcher. god am I doing the right choice all this mind rattling unbalancing studying till Im nutz. I wanted to start a whole foods bar, then I thought it wont pay off or the liability(im in the states), Well I could start a vegan hippy juice bar type of place, the liability thou scares me, will it pay off. So ive just stuck with the medical researcher. Some times I meet people or hear of people that are similar to myself that took a certain path then decided to change there career. well, angela I never can figure out if im choosing the right path as I cry and type these words and I myself do have a lot of health problems since my ed started at 9 years old, im 34 so am I making the right choices? I see your end results and what you have achieved. Hell, I might still go into mortuary science if I can handle more trauma will see huh. I hope your well even thou you don’t really no me. Love always, I love your food, Happy New Year hope I didn’t scare you.

K8lin January 2, 2014

The butternut squash looks lovely

Natalie January 2, 2014

Ohh emm geee Angela! These also look TO DIE FOR! Living with a traditional Polish family, my mom tends to make a lot of not-so-light dinners, so I’m trying to find inspiration to cook up a healthy meal from time to time. Thank you for this list; it’s definitely given me a place to start :)

Hope you’re enjoying the New Year!

xo
Natalie
nataliemint.com

Cass January 3, 2014

OMG I love potato burgers – I will be trying that one tonight as my Friday treat! Love it :)

Asa January 3, 2014

The thai sweet potato burger… is the tastiest dish I’ve made this year. I went vegan overnight six months ago and I’ve loved your recipes ever since. I add a bit more tamari in the peanut sauce and it’s so good. My boyfriend loves it too. Thank you for making a compassionate lifestyle easier for so many of us. I can’t wait for your book!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2014

Thank you Asa, so glad you enjoyed the burger! Wishing you a great 2014.

Julia January 3, 2014

Huge kudos to your for writing your blog and cookbook at the same time – I faced the same challenge in 2013 and can completely relate – it’s fun/exciting/exhilarating, but can be very stressful and make you feel like you’re always in a grind. I can’t wait to see your book! And in the meantime, I can enjoy these mouth-watering lunch and dinner recipes. Love everything you do, lady! You’re an inspiration!

Katie January 3, 2014

I’ve tried the raw pad thai, the “tuna” salad, and the smoky butternut squash pasta from that list. All three were awesome! I must admit that my favourite 2013 recipe was the chilled chocolate pie with almond crust and strawberry compote. I loved it not just because it is dessert (although that helps!), but because it blew away my very skeptical “meatatarian” friends who initially growned when I said that I’d made a vegan dessert.

Coral January 3, 2014

I remember that when I made the change to vegan back in March 2013, one of the first recipes I made was the Nacho Plate, but with waffle fries. It was sooo incredible! The during the summer I made the Rainbow salad and I ate it for a few weeks straight. All so good!

Carla January 3, 2014

Hi, Angela,

Happy New Year. Sometime around this time last year, I posted a comment about preparing your recipes for my dearest, oldest friend who was battling cancer. The end of 2012 and most of 2013 were very hard for her and though I have some bad memories of that time, I also have that one champagne-popping, joyful memory of her telling me she was declared cancer-free this past October.

I know it’s just for now — but we’ll take it!

All the best to you in 2014 and beyond. Sharing your food with her and her family this past year was a consistent bright spot, and I thank you for making healthy eating so comforting.

Carla

p.s. All cancer drama aside, the ultimate 4 layer vegan sandwich put me at risk of becoming a seriously chubby vegan. :)

Laura January 3, 2014

The #5 quiche is a recipe I make often. Thanks so much for posting. I gotta try those nachos next!

Michelle @ Esculent Dreams January 3, 2014

Incredible. Thank you so much for this and happy new year!

lea January 3, 2014

My favourite ……Black Bean and Potato Nacho Plate. Looking back at this list… the Powerhouse Pesto Plate is calling me……..

Natalie January 3, 2014

Angela, your site was my favourite discovery of 2013! You absolutely saved my life (or at least my diet!) when my husband and I decided to focus on a plant based whole food diet. Every recipe of yours I made was a success which was not necessarily true of some others that I tried!!
I love the smoky butternut squash sauce and the ultimate vegan sandwich from this list. I also regularly make your perfect veggie burger, lemon tahini dressing, hemp seed dressing, italian bean balls and of course I never would have roasted such perfect spaghetti squash without your help!
Can’t wait to try the rad raw pad thai and the quiche plus all the amazing recipes in your book and on the blog this year :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2014

Hi Natalie, You have no idea how happy this makes me!! I’m thrilled. Thank you for trying out so many. Here’s to a tasty 2014!

Natalie January 3, 2014

Just had the rad rainbow pad thai (with brown rice glass noodles) for dinner and it was AH-mazing!! Thanks for another tasty meal :)

Andrea January 3, 2014

I’ve made your Rainbow Pad Thai salad for a party and everyone asked for the recipe. Since I found it a couple of months ago, I have already made it 4 times, including 2 times for large events. It’s absolutely lovely to look at as well with all the colors. This one is a keeper!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health January 3, 2014

These posts are reminding me of all the recipes of yours I need to try! I now have the kale salad and those thai veggie burgers on the shopping list. It’s going to be a tasty week!

I love that saying too; it’s inevitable that we all get knocked down at some point but how react to it is what matters most. Best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2014 Angela!

Sagan January 3, 2014

Oooh this all looks so good! Definitely going to try the Roasted Buddha Bowl, Rad Rainbow Pad Thai, and 4-Layer Vegan Sandwich. Thanks for the round-up!

Kerry January 3, 2014

Wow so many great recipes to try, but I think I will start with the Easy Flaked Almond ‘Tuna’ Salad.and then move on to the rest.

Lisa January 3, 2014

So grateful for all the new ideas. My cooking will surely get a lift. Especially excited about the macaroni dish :)

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables January 3, 2014

Thanks for the delicious reminders! Looking forward to trying some of these in 2014.

Jenny January 3, 2014

I decided it was time that I should finally comment on your blog. Last January I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 28. Because of that, I significantly changed my diet and lifestyle–becoming vegan and eliminating white, brown, and cane sugar from my diet. At first it was very hard, but over the year, I have learned to enjoy vegan food and to love cooking. I first tried your recipes from the ones Kroger mailed, and that led me to your blog. Now I absolutely love your blog and have tried so many of your recipes. It has definitely made the transition much easier. So thank you! And thankfully, God is really gracious to me, and my cancer is gone, hopefully to never return. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2014

Hi Jenny, I’m so happy to hear that you are cancer-free. What an inspiration you are! I’m so glad that my recipes could help with your transition. :) Wishing you continued good health in new year ahead.

Mel January 3, 2014

Just made, and ate, your Thai sweet potato burger. Holy moley, amazing!!!! I could drink that peanut sauce. :) Best veggie burger, hands down. Thank you!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2014

Hi Mel, so glad you enjoyed it so much! thanks for letting me know :)

Page 1 of 212»