Thai Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with Spicy Peanut Sauce

thaiveggieburger-2351

Mondays aren’t all bad, you know.

thaiveggieburger

I mean, if you had this burger to look forward to after your first day back, it might make Monday your new favourite day of the week.

Ok, probably not. But, let me just say one thing: This burger needs to be a part of your life as soon as possible!

ginger

These Thai-inspired veggie burgers are made with a base of shredded sweet potato and chickpeas and are flavoured with fresh ginger, garlic, cilantro, basil, and a sprinkle of lime juice and toasted sesame oil. Oh my lanta! If that weren’t enough, salted, roasted chopped peanuts are stirred into the mix to give these burgers a wicked nutty crunch that’s just downright hard to resist. Even the uncooked batter is delicious in its own right!

thaiveggieburgervegan

I stacked the baked golden patties with roasted sweet potato rounds (if we’re roasting, we might as well roast the leftover sweet potato!), fresh tomato and lettuce, and then drizzled it with some of my favourite spicy peanut sauce.

thaiveggieburger-2353

Even Eric, the peanut butter hater, loves these burgers – peanut sauce and all. I don’t know whether to be happy or sad.

The peanut sauce makes a good amount, so I made a simple shredded kale salad to serve on the side. I added a shredded carrot and a few green onions into the finely chopped kale. A nice little side salad!

The sauce is good on pretty much everything from salads to wraps to roasted veggies and noodle bowls. You can also make this sauce with almond butter or even sunflower seed butter for a nut-free version (adjusting other ingredients to taste, of course). See my tips in the recipe below on how to make this recipe nut and soy free. I’ve got you covered.

Monday you never looked so good. Let’s live it up!

thaiveggieburger-2397

Thai Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers

Vegan, gluten-free

By

4.5 from 17 reviews

Bursting with flavour, these Thai-inspired veggie burgers will make your every dream come true! The patties are made with a base of shredded sweet potato and chickpeas and are flavoured with fresh garlic, ginger, cilantro, basil, and a sprinkle of lime juice and sesame seed oil. To add some delicious crunchy texture, I've mixed in some chopped roasted and salted peanuts into the mix. These burgers are naturally gluten-free and you can make them soy-free by using coconut aminos instead of the tamari (or simply omit the tamari all together). See my note below on making this recipe nut-free. Peanut sauce is adapted from my Almond Butter Sauce.

Yield

• 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
  • 1/2 cup roasted and salted peanuts, finely chopped
  • 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats, processed into a coarse flour
  • 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax + 3 tbsp water, mixed in bowl
  • 1/2 tablespoon sesame seed oil
  • 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari (or coconut aminos for soy-free option)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the peanut sauce:
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 6 tablespoons smooth peanut butter (or almond or sunflower seed butter)
  • 2.5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari (or coconut aminos)
  • 1-2 tablespoons water, as needed
  • 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup (or other sweetener)
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Peel the sweet potato. Using a box grater with the regular-sized grate holes, grate 1.5 cups of sweet potato. Place in large bowl. I had about 1/2 of the sweet potato leftover, so I sliced it into 1-cm rounds and placed it on the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
  3. In a large bowl, stir together the grated sweet potato, cilantro, basil, garlic, ginger, and chopped peanuts.
  4. In a food processor, add the oats and process until finely chopped. You want the texture to be like a coarse flour. Stir the oat flour into the bowl with the vegetables.
  5. Now add the drained chickpeas into the processor and process until finely chopped. You want the mixture to be a cross between a coarse paste and finely chopped chickpeas, but don't completely puree the chickpeas. Stir the processed chickpeas into the bowl with the vegetables and oat flour.
  6. In a mug, whisk together the ground flax and water. Let it sit for only 20 seconds or so, any longer and it will get too thick. Stir this flax egg into the vegetable chickpea mixture until fully combined.
  7. Stir in the sesame oil, tamari, lime juice, coriander, salt, and pepper all to taste.
  8. Shape the mixture into 6-8 patties, packing each patty tightly between your hands so it holds together well. Place each patty onto the prepared baking sheet along with the sweet potato rounds.
  9. Bake for 20 minutes, then gently flip the patties and potato rounds and bake for another 15-17 minutes until golden on both sides. You might have to remove the sweet potato a bit early - just keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
  10. While the burgers are baking, prepare the peanut sauce. Add all sauce ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth. Adjust ingredients to taste if desired. The sauce will thicken up as it sits.
  11. After baking, place patties on a cooling rack for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Serve with toasted buns (or lettuce or whole grain wraps), tomato slices, roasted sweet potato, lettuce, and the peanut sauce.
  12. The peanut sauce will store in the fridge for at least a week. The burgers can be frozen (after baking and cooling) for a couple weeks.

Tips:

Notes: 1) To make the burgers soy-free, use coconut aminos in place of the tamari or simply omit it all together. 2) To make this recipe nut-free, omit the peanuts in the burgers and use sunflower seeds instead. For the peanut sauce, you can probably use sunflower seed butter instead of the peanut butter, but you will likely have to adjust the other ingredients to taste since its more bitter than peanut butter.

A big Happy Birthday goes out to my amazing mom!! XOXO

1 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 28, 2013

I’m going to start carb loading for my first marathon next week and was planning to incorporate as many sweet potatoes as possible. This is perfect! I love making thai peanut sauce with PB2.

2 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} October 28, 2013

Yes, this burger would certainly make my Monday better! I arrived at work only to discove that my office was flooded by the sprinkler system over the weekend. Everything is soaked and ruined. :-(

I love your previous veggie burgers and this sauce looks amazing. Thanks Angela for yet another amazing recipe.

3 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 28, 2013

I loooove the look of this! Awesome!

4 Corinne October 28, 2013

These look DELICIOUS! I’m going to make them…. we just harvested a whole lot of sweet potatoes from our garden yesterday!

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 28, 2013

These sound so, SO good Ange! I’m all about peanut sauce right now and just bought another jar of PB – I don’t think I’ve ever gone through it as fast as I have in the past month! Can’t wait to try them out. Happy Monday! :)

6 Abby@The Frosted Vegan October 28, 2013

I love that my favorite thing, crunchy chickpeas, are included in these…genius!

7 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 28, 2013

Oh man those look good and I bet that peanut sauce would make an awesome salad dressing too especially with something with a little bite like arugula!

8 OSGMOM October 28, 2013

I’m putting this recipe creation on my birthday wish list — :) xo

9 Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day October 28, 2013

Oh wow, these look amazing! I made some peanut sauce yesterday to drizzle on roasted broccoli and I was eating it by the spoonful, looks like these burgers might need to come up on the list soon!

10 Emily - It Comes Naturally Blog October 28, 2013

Not sure I can persuade the hubby to try the sweet potato burgers, but the peanut sauce looks to be a winner!

11 Emma October 28, 2013

Wow Angela, you’ve outdone yourself here! Looks like it’s got a great texture, and I love how you piled it high with the sweet potato rounds :)

12 Ceara October 28, 2013

Your wonderful posts bring the biggest smile to my face! Your recipes always look and taste divine! I can’t wait to make these burgers!!

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2013

thank you Ceara! Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. :)

14 Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 28, 2013

Ok, so I’m drooling as I type this: I love sweet potatoes. I love all things Thai. I could happily drown in peanut sauce. So, as you can imagine, Thai sweet potato veggie burgers with peanut sauce is, like, basically the holy grail for my taste buds. Weekly menu, we have a new front-runner!

15 Shundara@SavyNaturalista October 28, 2013

I can almost taste the ginger and soy sauce in this burger! I know my Monday is defiantly covered with this recipe!! :)

16 Tanja (germany) October 28, 2013

biiig burger, yummy! Love your blog, i tried many
recipes.. At the moment cool down granola nuts..!

17 Jesse @OutToLunchC October 28, 2013

This looks delicious! I ordered the Buddha Bowl from Fresh last night and the spicy peanut butter sauce is my favorite. I can’t wait to try this recipe because I think it will be similar, yummmm.

18 The Peace Patch October 28, 2013

Crazyamazing flavor combination…a gingery burger is a perfect way to kick up a Monday! I’d love to try making them into baked balls too and dip them in the sauce, just for the screaming fun of it. Thanks for the recipe! :)

19 Val November 18, 2013

That is a great idea. Kebabs, even!

20 Marygrace October 28, 2013

Peanut sauce on a veggie burger! THERE’S a great idea to get me out of my ketchup rut.

21 Pramila October 28, 2013

The burgers look great, and are a good alternative to the Morningstar Farms patties- I am so done with those! I am wondering, though, do these patties freeze well?

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2013

They should freeze fine – make sure to cool them after baking first.

23 Sarah October 29, 2013

Sorry if this is a stupid question: Why do you have to bake them before freezing?

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2013

not a stupid question at all – baking them first seems to help them hold together better after thawing and cooking. Just a personal preference!

25 amy w October 28, 2013

Hi Angela & readers! I love the look of this veggie burger!! It’s nice to see glutinous burgers that are oozing and spilling out of the bun that DON’T have meat! :)
I work at a restaurant in Toronto ( we are right next door to Fresh on queen st west actually!)
And since it is a pretty meat & fish heavy menu I just introduced a falafel burger to the menu, and it is selling like hotcakes. I wanted to mention that after researching falafel I found that you can used soaked chickpeas for the mix ( you DONT need to cook them!) and it works great. You can pan fry and then bake in the oven, or deep fry – if you have the guts to do that in your house haha.
My ratio is 6 cups soaked chickpeas, one large onion diced, 1 bunch green onion and whatever spices you want to add + 2 TBSP ALL PURPOSE FLOUR which I am trying to eventually omit so I can offer them as a gluten free option. Any ideas of a flour I could use instead? I suppose chickpea flour? Anyway wanted to mention the soaked chickpeas could work for your recipe too since I know we all have a bag of dried chickpeas and never get around to cooking them! Thanks for your blog I love it so much. It inspires me every day.

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2013

Hey Amy,
Thanks for your comment! Glad to hear you are serving up a meat-free option on the menu. I’ve always wanted to try the soaked/no cook chickpea method in falafel, but wondered if the chickpeas would be harder to digest? Have you noticed any tummy issues? I know soaking helps a lot, but I wonder how I would digest them without the extra cooking time too. How long do you soak for? Anyway, let me know if you try it out with this recipe!
As for the flour, you can usually swap AP flour for AP gluten-free flour (I like Cuisine Soleil brand and it’s Canadian too) just fine.

27 amy w October 28, 2013

Hi Angela! Thanks for replying. Ok I’ll try gf flour.
I always soak them atleast overnight, and I usually soak a big batch and just leave them in the fridge for when I need to whiz up at batch. I haven’t noticed any stomach issues! I have a vegetarian waitress who eats them all the time now and she hasn’t complained. I’ve eaten them myself too. No ill effects. I think the overnight soak plus “cooking” the burger is enough to cook the chickpeas.. I also found they were alot less wet and less willing to break apart than when I tried it with cooked ( and canned) chickpeas.

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2013

Good to hear! Thanks for replying :) I’ll have to try it with my falafel recipe sometime!

29 Brian B August 30, 2014

Wouldn’t happen to be Earl’s would it? I was just in Toronto for the first time in 20 years and had a great Falafel burger there…

30 dishing up the dirt October 28, 2013

these sound delicious! Pinned!

31 Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living October 28, 2013

This recipe makes me look forward to Mondays! Thanks for sharing!

32 Laura October 28, 2013

Wow, these look incredible! I just had lunch but somehow I am hungry again? Geez, Angela the things you do for your readers! ;)

33 Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate October 28, 2013

The best part of these is definitely the peanut sauce! I love peanut sauce!

34 Maria Tadic October 28, 2013

What a fun flavor combo!!! These look so good! I definitely can’t wait to try them – I love anything Thai!!!

35 Averie @ Averie Cooks October 28, 2013

I love the color of these burgers, Angela! The yellow is so sunny and cheery, and I bet with the ginger, lime, coriander, all those great Thai flavors, they’re so good. And of course everything is better with peanut sauce! Pinned!

36 janae @ bring joy October 28, 2013

Anything thai is soo good. Which makes me wonder why we don’t put peanuts, cilantro, lime, & ginger into everything we make ;)?

37 Matt G. October 28, 2013

Are you getting a little bit of a crust using just parchment? I’ve been on a VB tear lately and have tried a few different methods. parchment + olive oil (oil pools), alum foil + oil (alum foil tears), just olive oil on the baking sheet. Seems like oil + sheet gives a decent crust.

The VB books I’ve been cooking from suggest pan frying first before baking but I skip that step….it’s a huge pain and takes too much time.

38 Chelsea@TableForOne October 28, 2013

These burgers look fabulous! I love the combination of chickpeas, sweet potatoes, and peanut sauce. Delish!

39 Alex @ Kenzie Life October 28, 2013

Oh heck yes! My Monday just got a whole lot better! Thanks Angela!

40 Mary Pascall October 28, 2013

Oh these have everything going for them!! You want to have these in the freezer to go to at all times. I’m thinking of making them into balls as well as patties to use in a cashew creamy curry! Your photography is inspiring, by the way. Keep ’em coming!

41 Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables October 28, 2013

That peanut sauce looks a lot like one that we make and put on pretty much EVERYTHING. It’s so good! These burgers look awesome also, I’d been looking for a new veggie burger recipe to try, it might have to be these!

42 Vicki @ WITK October 28, 2013

Oh wow, these burgers look amazing! I love Thai everything and these burgers look like the perfect monday meal.

43 Shel@PeachyPalate October 28, 2013

Amazing! Definitely pinning to make this week!

44 Psychedelic Floid October 28, 2013

This is amazing!! I have to try this one!

45 Kristi October 28, 2013

I was just trying to figure out what I was making tomorrow to use up some of my sweet potatoes, and now I know! Thanks. This looks delicious.

46 Elizabeth~Hippy Mom October 28, 2013

Great recipe, I actually make one to three of your recipes off your blog DAILY. So, I would like to ask you, hope its ok, I myself do medical research, were any of your findings published, maybe a journal, anything interesting? I will eventually have my own study on plant based medicines, I will research infinitley! Thanks

47 Leon October 28, 2013

Wow! Now that’s a kind of burger worth craving. It’s pretty foolish of me to check this blog so late, forces me to run to the kitchen each time.. :)

48 Shael October 28, 2013

Amazing post, cannot wait to try these!!
Question: I have oat flour on hand how much should I adjust the measurement by?

Love LOVE your blog, thank you for continuing to share your creative and delicious recipes with us!! :)

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2013

You can sub in 3/4 cup oat flour. It’s usually the same measurement, so 3/4 cup rolled oats equals about 3/4 cup oat flour too. Makes it easy, right? Enjoy the burgers.

50 Ali @ Inspiralized October 28, 2013

This looks mind boggling yummy!! I can’t wait to try this!! Wow.

51 Nichole October 28, 2013

I am really looking forward to making this later this week. It looks incredible! Just curious, does it freeze as well as your perfect burger? I love having them on hand for those days when I am feeling lazy. =)

52 Nichole October 28, 2013

Never mind I saw your reply to someone else. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I am looking forward to buying your book!

53 Elana @ The Inventive Vegetarian October 28, 2013

I love all things peanut butter! These burgers look amazing and the sauce sounds addictive! Thanks so much for sharing!

54 June October 28, 2013

Why is everything you make so beautiful? WHY?! I love your salads, they are just so perfect despite having all of these different components. I am looking forward to your cookbook just so I can gaze at your artworks–ahem, I mean, recipes. :)
I love great food photography, as you can see.
~ June ~

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2013

Aw thank you so much June, that means a lot to me!

56 Laura Chiesman October 28, 2013

Looks wonderful! What kind of bread do you use – looks like a biscuit!

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2013

Hi Laura, It’s fresh rolls from a grocer’s bakery. :)

58 lauren October 28, 2013

Gorgeous, these are just gorgeous! Can’t wait to try these, and peanut butter is my current obsession.

59 Miss Polkadot October 28, 2013

Wow, these look awesome! Difficult to say if you should be happy about Eric’s transformation – after all it means you’ll have to share peanut butter/sauce ;).
Happy (belated) Birthday to your mom!

60 Carmi October 28, 2013

Thank you for this. It’s on the menu for tomorrow. Happy Birthday to OSGMOM. It’s my Pops birthday today too! Side note: Angela it’s nice to know that I am not the only person with ‘belly’ issues. I have been practicing the fine art of ‘shallow breathing’ the last few days. Yikes… this attack is lasting forever. Can’t seem to nail the cause.

61 Ari @ Ari's Menu October 28, 2013

Love this creative take on a veggie burger! Sweet potato and Thai flavors? Umm that sounds like heaven!

62 Haley L October 28, 2013

I love homemade veggie burgers and this is such a fun take!
Yum!
Haley, egginon.wordpress.com

63 jodye @ whole pure recipes October 28, 2013

These burgers sound completely amazing! Seeing that I have all of the ingredients on hand, I can’t think of any reason not to make them tomorrow! Your photographs are absolutely beautiful, Angela. This is such a treat for the eyes.

64 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts October 29, 2013

This might be my new favourite burger. And I haven’t even made it yet!

65 barbara October 29, 2013

Hi – wondering if there is something I can substitute for the chic peas? We can’t eat legumes (and will skip the peanuts for cashews or almonds). Is there something else I can use in place of the chic peas? All legumes (anything that grows in a pod) is out.
Thank you!

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2013

I’m sorry I don’t know of anything you can sub for the beans.

67 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen October 29, 2013

I was just at Fresh restaurant over the weekend and my friend ordered the Thai veggie burger with peanut sauce – and I was so jealous that I couldn’t have it because of my allergies! I can’t wait to try this one out with sunflower seeds and sunflower seed butter. I bet it will be amazing!

68 Joshua Hampton October 29, 2013

These veggie burgers look marvelous. Sweet potatoes are not really my thing, but I would love to try these.

69 Lynn October 29, 2013

Hi Angela, Made these burgers last night and they were a hit. Love the peanut sauce idea for the burgers. We topped ours with avocado…..Yummy:) Appreciate your site soooo much.

70 Shelly October 29, 2013

Not only did these burgers make our Monday better, the leftovers are going to make our Tuesday and Wednesday better too. My husband and I COULD NOT STOP eating and raving about them last night (and we are both looking forward to dinner tonight!) Thanks for bringing so much vegan deliciousness to our lives!

71 Cassie October 29, 2013

I canNOT wait to try this one!

72 Elyse @myveganp October 29, 2013

Gorgeous as usual! My tummy is grumbling just looking at this one! Thanks for sharing. :)

73 Maire October 29, 2013

These burgers were sooo good I loved them! Made them last night with cashews instead of peanuts and almond butter in the sauce instead of PB. Served them with an Udi’s GF bun with lettuce, tomato and cucumber. Loved that the base included 2 of my all time faves, chickpeas and sweet potatoes, and all those amazing aromatics of cilantro, basil, lime, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger made me really happy when I was throwing everything together! I made a double batch and am glad to have a nice stash in the freezer : ) The only thing I’ll change though for the next time around is to switch out the slightly heavy, brown nut sauce for a lighter, creamy green cilantro lime sauce, I feel that would better complement the heaviness of the burger and bring out those great aromatics a little more! I’m pretty sure you already have a recipe for the type of sauce I’m craving so I’m going to scan your archives for ideas! I really enjoy all your recipes, you are incredible for always churning out something new and amazing!

74 Maire October 29, 2013

Oh forgot I also pressed some black sesame seeds into the tops of the burgers before baking and they were just beautiful!

I think I’m going to play around with your recipe for creamy avocado lime dressing in this post : http://ohsheglows.com/2012/03/06/citrus-beet-salad-with-creamy-avocado-lime-dressing/ Yum!!!! (that salad rocks!)

75 Lauren October 29, 2013

I cannot wait to try these. I make and freeze a double batch of your “Perfect Veggie Burger” every few weeks. I am sure that these will be just as good!

76 Brooke October 29, 2013

Angela,

Does the sweet potato flavor really come through? I’m wondering about par-baking about half a cup of smallish cut up chunks to thicken up the texture? Any thoughts?

77 Brooke October 29, 2013

I’m sorry- I meant par-boiling! Just a quick 4-5 minutes to soften up?

78 Jaclyn October 29, 2013

Your recipe skills are off the charts! And the photography is really impressive. Love coming back to see what you’re whipping up and nibbling on. ;)

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 30, 2013

Thanks Jaclyn – that means a lot! I’m off to check out your blog now :)

80 Mandy B October 29, 2013

How tasty does this look! I’m literally drooling over here lol, can’t wait to try these :)

81 Corinne October 30, 2013

Boy your images just get better and better! How do you stay so slim with all this amazing recipe designing? I LOVE the look of these patties. lol about Eric enjoying them – be happy, be very happy :)

82 Erena DiGonis October 30, 2013

Even though I’m reading this in the morning, I’m craving this delicious burger right now! I’ll try and hold off til dinner!

83 Kristina October 30, 2013

OMY these look amazing!! That peanut sauce sounds so good, adding to the grocery list :)

84 Katie October 30, 2013

Made these last night and they were amazing. The best part was that they are even better eaten as leftovers! I am going to make these in large batches to freeze. So yummy!

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 30, 2013

Hey Katie, So glad you like them! I agree about the leftovers…they seem to taste even better the next day. :)

86 Amber Simons October 30, 2013

Another home run on this recipe! I made it for dinner tonight, it was awesome!! Thanks.

87 Alison October 31, 2013

I was just wondering if you could use chia seeds in water as a replacement for the ground flax? I don’t have any flax at the moment, but I do have chia.

88 Nora November 1, 2013

Angela, this is the second recipe I made from you in two days! I made the Italian Bean Balls last night and the Thai Sweet Potato Burgers tonight. Both are a hit! You just keep making great food for our family to eat! Thanks so much :)

89 Katja November 2, 2013

Dear Angela, please omit the point 12 from the recipe (..the sauce will store in the fridge, the burgers can be frozen) as it is simply impossible to have any leftovers to store! Super yummy – and excellent winter food with all that ginger, garlic and sesame oil to keep us warm, happy and healthy. Thank you!

90 Lesley Mizer November 2, 2013

I am so glad I found your blog! I made these veggie burgers tonight, and they were so delicious! I have a peanut allergy, so thank you for the suggestion on using sunflower seeds and sunflower butter instead. Turned out great!

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 3, 2013

yay! So glad it worked out for you :)

92 Savs November 2, 2013

I just made these this evening for my non-vegetarian aunts, and they loved them! Tney’re looking forward to me making more recipes from your site!

93 Julia November 3, 2013

For a party, I made these into “meat”balls and served the sauce on the side as a dip, and they were a huge hit!! Thanks for another great recipe! I love your blog. :)

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 3, 2013

Wow that is a great idea!! Thanks for letting me know :)

95 Christina H November 3, 2013

Angela, you might have outdone yourself! These were fantastic! I loved both the burgers and the Thai peanut sauce. I normally make your Favorite Veggie Burgers as my go-to, but these will definitely have to be rotated in the mix on a regular basis. Thank you once again! :)
Ps: I’m anxiously awaiting your cookbook. I can’t wait!

96 Amy November 4, 2013

Hi Angela! Just wanted to say I made these burgers for lunches this week and they are absolutely delish! My husband and I aren’t vegan or even vegetarian, but I make many of your creations because they are so fresh and healthy. I preordered your cookbook on the weekend and I look forward to the many amazing recipes sure to be inside!

97 kimmythevegan November 4, 2013

Oh wow, these look super delicious. I haven’t really had much luck making burgers – the texture never comes out and they are always crumbly. But these sound so good, I have to try them!

98 Machelle November 5, 2013

I just made these for dinner and thought I would have one tonight and 5 leftovers because no one else in my family eats things that are good for them. When I went to clean up there was only one left. Everyone loved them! I am definitely going to make them again. Thanks

99 Emilie November 5, 2013

Hi!!!

These look great and I would like to make them for a dinner party.
I don’t have a food processor though, do you think I could just chopped the peanuts finely? And would using oat flour rather than processed rolled oats work the same, or would it be detrimental to the texture?

Thank you for your help! LOVE YOUR FOOD

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 5, 2013

Hey, Yes I think both of those modifications would still work. Let me know how it goes if you try it out!

101 Kelli November 6, 2013

Made these over the weekend and they were fantastic and very flavorful and filling. Husband and mom both loved them. I topped them with a mango, red onion, tomato relish. It was a nice compliment to the thai peanut sauce. I also substituted almond butter for PB in the sauce and it turned out great. I froze 2 patties so I’m curious how they hold up. Thanks for another great recipe Angela!

102 Sheri November 7, 2013

WOW! I made these last night and OMG! spot on seasoning, full flavour, stayed together, yum!

103 Sue November 9, 2013

Yum, making my second batch! Can’t wait for your cookbook!

104 Élise November 10, 2013

Hello. I just tasted thiese burgers! They are delicious, easy to do. This is the best recipe of veggie burgers that I have made! The sauce is really tasty. I will try it with spring rolls.

Thank you for this amazon recipe.

Elise

105 Taylor November 10, 2013

I just made these for dinner. Oh. My. Goodness. Gracious! So delicious! Thanks for another amazing recipe.

106 Misti November 10, 2013

I made these tonight. My husband took one bite and exclaimed “these go at the top of the list of things I want more often!” Clearly they were a big hit! I also made the side salad you suggested and it was tasty as well. Thanks for the great recipe!

107 Jasmine November 11, 2013

I made these last night for a few friends and they were amazing! Instead of a bun I served them on a bed of arugala and purple cabbage and set out some sliced radishes green onions avos and sesame seeds for mix and match toppings with your fabulous pnut sauce recipe. Even though I doubled the recipe (to serve 4 people) they were all gone by the end of the dinner! Thanks for another good one! Cant wait for the book :)

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2013

Hey Jasmine, I’m so happy to hear this!! yay. Thanks so much for trying them. :)

109 kendra November 11, 2013

Wonderful recipe!!!! I exchanged chickpeas with brown rice (better for my tummy) and we put the burger’s on a salad of baby lettuces, red bell pepper, cilantro, mung beans and fresh avocado and drizzled the peanut sauce over the top. Yum!!!

110 Natalie November 12, 2013

Made these for dinner last night! While it was a lot of prep (not good for a weeknight meal, save it for the weekends!) it was a winner winner! And the peanut sauce? Wow, yummy! I’m looking forward to the leftovers for my lunch! I think this recipe is going on my regular rotation for sure!

111 Stephanie November 12, 2013

I made this and it was amazing!!!! I cooked it for 3 non-veggie friends and they loved it. I love your recipes so much. I can’t wait for the cookbook. I appreciate that you get creative with true veggies and spices. It’s great how creative you can get without using soy products (meatless burgers, meatless taco meat, meatless chicken patties). You are making recipes that optimizes the nutrients in food! Thanks for being you.

112 Jocelyn Herman November 12, 2013

Just made these for dinner tonight — probably the best veggie burger I have ever had!!! I absolutely loved it!!! Thank you for yet another incredible recipe… :-)

113 Trixie November 13, 2013

Hi, Angela,
I’ve been following your blog almost since the beginning and have never left a comment, but Im about to break that silence. Im vegan, my two children are vegetarian, and I have an omnivore husband who look suspiciously at any and all “vegan food.” Never mind that we’ve been together 20+ years and my diet isn’t a new thing; he still eyes all meals I make with suspicion that there’s flax or spinach or somesuch in there (and he’s probably correct!). The mixture for these barely made it into patty form and into the oven (*licks fingers again*), but when they finally made it to the table, they were eaten my 6yo, 8yo and husband as if they were the last meal any of us may ever eat again. AMAZING. There was almost a fork stabbing incident over the last patty. So so excited to buy your book when it comes out here in NYC!
P.S. every child who comes to my home clamors for “those cookie dough balls.” You’re a legend in our house.

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2013

Hey Trixie, Oh I’m so happy to hear this! Thanks so much for your lovely comment. :)

PS- LOL @ fork stabbing incident!!

115 Ashley November 14, 2013

I made these last night and WOW! So YUM! I put a little too much lime juice in the sauce (oops) but it was still good. Great recipe!

116 Renee November 16, 2013

I made these the other night and they were amazing. Luckily I made a double batch because my boyfriend and his friend ate a batch themselves! I’ve been making recipes from your blog for 2 years now, and I’ve really enjoyed every recipe. Thanks for sharing!

117 Julie November 21, 2013

Can’t handle oats either, not even the gf kind. Can I use, oh, almond flour or something instead?

118 Randie November 25, 2013

From all this positive comments from those who’ve tried your VBs these are obviously yummy and I’m looking forward to trying them both as VBs and meatballs for HH.

I am concerned about baking flax as it is so sensitive to heat and goes rancid quickly. Do you think they would still hold together without the flax?

119 Randie November 26, 2013

Made these for dinner last night, they were very tasty. I followed the recipe exactly except for the flax/water and substituted an egg. I’m a wondering if adding some soaked chia seeds would make them sick together a bit more.
Recipe is a keeper, DH also said he’d like to have it again.

Added an extra 1/8 tsp of Cayenne to the peanut sauce, next time I’ll add 3/4. We like food on the spicy side.

120 Sunfood Junkies November 27, 2013

These were delicious! Thank you for the recipe Angela :)

121 Lisa December 8, 2013

My daughter sent me this recipe to make her when she comes home from college in a couple of weeks. I could not wait so tried them out tonight. Instead of a bun I served them on top of an arugela salad and roasted beets with ginger. They were delicious!
Thanks for the recipe!

122 katie December 10, 2013

Wow. These look delicious!

123 Amirah December 10, 2013

Ijust tried this tonight for dinner. I put it in my homemade white wheat tortillas and filled it with tomato, lettuce, avacado, and jalapeno slices. It was SO delicious. I am not vegan, but have been trying to increase my intake of vegan meals and decrease my intake of dairy and meat. Thank you so much for all that you do!

124 Melissa January 2, 2014

Hi Angela,

I want to try these but I hate cilantro. Is there something I can substitute? Parsley? I’m asssuming I can’t leave it out entirely?

125 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2014

Yes you can leave it out if desired! Maybe sub with parsley like you suggested or even very finely chopped spinach too. enjoy!

126 Melissa January 2, 2014

Thanks Angela! Spinach is a good idea! I wish I liked cilantro, but it just tastes like soap to me. Lol. These sound so good though I really want to try them. Thanks again!

127 Melanie January 8, 2014

Just made these burgers, and they were delicious! I like how well the ingredients held together. I topped them with the sauce, some chopped green onion, and orange slices! A nice lively touch!

128 Archana January 14, 2014

Hi Angela,
I would love to try these but I’m intolerant to oats – is there something else I could substitute?

129 Peta January 16, 2014

I made these for dinner. My husband (whose favorite meals usually consist of copious amounts of meat and oil) LOVED them! I topped with the sauce, grated carrot,grated beetroot, cucumber, tomato and lettuce. Was delicious and filling.

130 Natasha January 26, 2014

Angela, thank you for this recipe! My sister and I made the burgers last night with avocado and it was incredible. I had to eat mine slowly just to make it last longer. Overall your recipes make me feel like a star in the kitchen, particularly over this past holiday season. Everything I’ve made from your blog has been delicious and creative. You have truly made my transition into a vegan lifestyle seamless and surprisingly fun. It has also been inspiring to follow your path to success doing what you love. I’m really looking forward to your cookbook! Anyway, thanks for all of the awesome work you do, I am one of many who are reaping the benefits. :)

131 Megan January 30, 2014

I love this site! I am allergic soy and my hubby and I are vegetarians mostly vegan. Thank you so much for posting such yummy recipes. This one especially. We use the peanut sauce on noodles, burgers, even on bread! I also used a little coconut milk or coconut water in the peanut sauce and it was delicious. :-)

132 Sarah February 3, 2014

I made these today and they were wonderful! I had to thin the peanut sauce out a little bit to make it spreadable. Also, adding the roasted sweet potato + veggies is a must. Thanks for another great recipe!

133 ElShi February 5, 2014

The burgers were delicious! I think I have found that I’m not a huge peanut butter sauce fan, though. Is there another one of your sauces that you think would go nicely with these? Thanks!

134 Elaine February 14, 2014

I just made this for dinner tonight – my husband and I loved it. I forgot I was out of flax seed so I used Ener G egg replacement and I served it on a bed of arugula, then quinoa and the burger. Fantastic! Thanks! Also, I early ordered your book and more excited than ever to get it.

135 Ruta @ The Smart Cookie March 7, 2014

First of all, I love your site. So beautiful, and such great photos.

I wanted to do a round up of recipes to warm you up on our blog The Smart Cookie and wanted to include your recipe for your spicy veggie burgers

I would like to include a photo with a link to the recipe on your site.

Thanks so much
Ruta.

136 Leslie Robinson March 25, 2014

Just found your blog and Webb page. Exciting discovery!
I have been a vegetarian for years.
My eating plan is based on calaries and as a veggie I watch my protein intake.
I’ve noticed that your recipes do not contain this information. Will your book? Do your other recipes have this listed?

137 Maria Reina March 27, 2014

I ended up using roasted almonds because I realized today I only had them on hand and not peanuts. They are so delicious and really hold together well. I’ve been noodling around with veggie patties and just haven’t been able to nail the binder. These hold together perfectly!

138 Kat April 1, 2014

I made these burgers tonight and they tasted great!
One question – the texture was still very soft/mushy after
Baking for 20 minutes each side. Is this how they are supposed
To be, or should I just cook longer (old oven) or at a higher temperature?
Thanks!

139 Roxy April 2, 2014

I made these yesterday, my first ‘veggie’ burgers ever and was very impressed. Easy to make with lots of love and flavour the patties and sauce. I also loved the addition of roast sweet potato. Definitely one keeping this one bookmarked!

140 Karen Barone April 6, 2014

The burgers were incredibly tasty! How did I let so many months go by without seeing this recipe?!?!?!?! There is one burger leftover for someone’s lunch tomorrow. We may have to flip a coin to decide who gets it :~)
Thanks again for another great recipe Angela. I just ordered your cookbook online, can’t wait to get it and try some more delicious recipes!

141 Trevor aka The Burger Nerd April 22, 2014

A gorgeous looking veggie burger that looks like it would satisfy even a meat eater’s appetite. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

142 Kirsten April 26, 2014

I tried this recipe the other night and it was a resounding success. The burgers were divine and, miraculously (for me) held together perfectly. The Peanut Sauce is the best I’ve ever tasted!
I did have a perplexing moment when I got home from the St Lawrence market and peeled my sweet potato. Instead of the yellow flesh I was expecting, this one was cream. For a moment I worried that I’d inadvertently bought the wrong thing, but a Google search assured me that there are a number of different kinds of sweet potatoes, one of which is white.
One question though, what brand of chick peas comes in 15 oz cans? Every one that I can find is 19 oz.

143 Laura May 2, 2014

These were awesome! Another fantastic recipe from you! They were even delicious before they were baked!

144 Becky May 26, 2014

I made these 2 days prior and stored them in fridge, sealed tight. Were excellent.

145 Becky J July 1, 2014

Another solid hit! The carnivore husband is more and more impressed with every recipe I make from your site. These freeze so well – I used Ezekiel sprouted grain burger buns, and then froze each patty plus one or two slices of sweet potato individually for a quick and easy lunch. I added red pepper slices and avocado as well – delicious!

146 cg July 7, 2014

well, the ingredient list sounded like these would be great (so did the photos), but I made them last night and they were somewhat dry and surprisingly bland…the only real flavor comes from the peanut sauce, but i also had to boost the flavor on that by adding a bit of coconut milk…don’t think i’ll be making these again

147 Terri-Nicole July 23, 2014

Ok, So VERY yummy. My voracious 15 year old son tried one and immediately loved them. He thought they were made with meat until he saw me eating one (as he was on his third burger) and said, “Oh, I guess these don’t have any meat in them.” The prep time was pretty long for me, so now I know what a hit these are, I’ll make a double batch next time and freeze the cooked patties. I can’t wait to make these for my carnivorous husband and for the next picnic event. Thanks for this gem!

148 Sally July 31, 2014

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it- you are so inspiring and I am so enjoying your book and checking out the wonderful and creative recipes on your site! Thank you and continued success!

149 mady August 27, 2014

Hi Angela, Can I use something else in place of the chickpeas? For whatever reason, I have issues every time I eat chickpeas.

Was wonder if I can use quinoa? and if so ..how much?

150 Niki September 10, 2014

Hi Angela, I just prepared these and can’t wait till tonight to cook them. I love Thai food although peanut sauce isn’t my favorite. Do you have any suggestions for a different sauce to serve with these veggie burgers?

151 karen September 14, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Oh.My.Word. I just made your Thai burgers and they are to die for! The flavors are perfect together and the peanut sauce is delish. I ate the burger without a bun, with the peanut sauce and sliced sweet potato and I was drooling. I love your blog, it truly inspires me as I make my way eating a more plant based diet. Thank you for being amazing! I just ordered your book and I can’t wait to get it.

152 js October 1, 2014

Is the sweet potatoe supposed to be baked before shredding???

153 Jessica October 16, 2014

These sound delicious! What kind of salad is that off to the side in the picture? It looks like kale! Is there a recipe for that as well? :)

154 Kim November 1, 2014
Recipe Rating:

These are amazing! I absolutely love this recipe as written. I usually make a batch and put the unused burgers in the freezer for a quick weeknight dinner later in the month. They freeze really well and the flavors are amazing. Slicing up and baking the remainder of the sweet potato and serving it on the burger definitely adds a little somethin’ to the flavors that I love. I highly suggest making a double batch of the peanut sauce, it’s so good that you’ll want to drink it in a glass!

155 Christina November 9, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made these tonight – I happened to have 6 cups of grated sweet potato so made a quadruple recipe! The prep time took much longer than anticipated (it was somewhere between 1.5 and 2 hours), which is certainly partially caused by the increased quantity of ingredients but I think it would have taken longer than 40 minutes for a single recipe when starting with all the ingredients unprepared. I used soy sauce instead of tamari sauce as that is what we had on hand and there are no dietary restrictions. I found that I needed to add a bit extra of the wet ingredients (soy sauce, lime juice, sesame oil) to get it to my taste.

The result was delicious! I love the depth of flavour with thai food and this recipe does a great job at that balance. It was also very filling. I am looking forward to freezing the extra burgers for future meals – it will be quite a treat! Thank you for this wonderful recipe!

(As a note, I had spicy peanut sauce already open so I didn’t try that part of the recipe. I did have that spicy peanut sauce on the burger and it made a great difference.)

156 Melissa January 4, 2015

I made these and they are fantastic! I’ve never used flax as a binder and they held together very well. My recipe yielded 6 meal sized burgers, and they are great paired with a cucumber salad, avocado slices, and a sesame ginger dressing. The only thing I would change would be to add some jalapeno to the burgers because I love me some spice. Thanks for the great recipe!

157 JaneO February 6, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Thanks for this great recipe. Was exactly what I was expecting. Delicious and satisfying. Was concerned the burgers wouldn’t stick together, but as explained in the recipe, pressing them firmly together worked beautifully. I used cashews in the burgers instead of peanuts and this was perfect.
Thanks again!!

158 Amy March 4, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Just made these today! I actually tripled the amount of sweet potato called for (grated in my food processor) and it still mixed up really well. I baked them on stoneware with some parchment paper just because I didnt’ feel like washing my stones :) Everything turned out great! I’m cooling a batch right now getting ready to freeze it.

159 Kristine Crump May 3, 2015
Recipe Rating:

How many calories do you estimate each patty to have (I made 6 out of your recipe)? How many calories does the peanut sauce have?

160 christine May 9, 2015

I made these yesterday. I didn’t have a box grater, so I just thinly sliced the sweet potato and then chopped it up a bit. It worked fine and it came out so amazingly fantastic! I’m really picky with veggie burgers and this one was amazing. The peanut sauce came out a bit thick so I ended up using a lot of extra water. Even my meat eating boyfriend loved this, so that how I know it’s REALLY good. Thanks so much for the fantastic recipe !

161 Val June 2, 2015
Recipe Rating:

These burgers are absolutely awesome. My only recommendations would be to make a bigger batch of burgers (so there are leftovers for lunches) and to make a lot more of the peanut sauce. We served the burgers on toasted Turkish bread with the peanut sauce, tomatoes, red onion, avocado slices and mixed greens. Everyone rated them at least 9/10 – a score that is hard to beat in our household.

We only started trying to eat vegetarian (and mostly vegan) a few months ago. Before that we were rather bored with the thought of cooking. Finding this web site, and a few other vegan recipe blogs, has made us so much more inspired to cook again. It has also got my 12 year old son much more involved choosing recipes and helping in the kitchen.

Thanks so much for your fantastic site!!

162 Heather June 15, 2015

Made them over the weekend. The only modification was egg (I’m not vegan). I really liked them, although I think I’ll leave out the nuts from the burgers next time. I don’t know…not so much a fan of the crunch. I also will just pan fry them next time. I never have success baking these kinds of patties. I find they dry out and don’t hold together really well. Not as healthy on the stove, but I don’t really care! I love that sear they get.

Love the peanut sauce too!

163 Michaela June 21, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I made these yesterday for a BBQ with friends in the UK. Even the die-hard meat fanatics were making space on the plates for these! Essential with the peanut sauce which is delicious. The best moment was having the gluten intolerant said meat fanatics saying this was the best *ever* because they could eat everything!

Recipe only made six patties so recommend doubling up (thoughts I’d benefit from leftovers!). Don’t shift patties in oven until crisp as they fall apart.

Certainly staples from now on!

164 Marika July 10, 2015
Recipe Rating:

These are lovely! I’m going to make them for a bbq I’m going to at the weekend, and I was wondering if you thought they might stand up to being put on the grill?

165 Judy Kash August 2, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Great flavor, but really crumbly. Help?

166 terri August 24, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I made these for my sisters birthday dinner yesterday- they were FANTASTIC! I used some of the leftover sauce on noodles today, with some sliced spring onions scattered on top- yummy.

167 Aoife August 28, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Made these burgers today – delicious! I didn’t have the ingredients for the peanut sauce so I ate them wrapped in Chinese leaf with some spicy tomato relish. Yum! As I had some oat bran and oat flower in the cupboard I used 2/3 cup and 1/3 cup respectively instead of the oat flakes. I didn’t have any problems with the patties falling apart.

Thanks for the recipe!

168 Heiho September 5, 2015

I’d like to see comments from someone (besides Angela :-) who has actually MADE these. Sure, they look and sound delish – they do! – but how did it work when you tried it at home??

169 Heiho September 5, 2015

Never mind – I see some have popped up! (Where did they come from? I thought I’d scrolled all the way …. ) These will be useful, and I AM going to try them very soon!

170 Jennifer September 11, 2015

These look great, can’t wait to try! Do you have a recommendation for a flax substitute? (I’m allergic)

171 plasterers bristol October 26, 2015

This sounds lovely. Going to give this a go. thanks for sharing this recipe.

Simon

172 Natalia November 10, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Oh my god.. These burgers changed my life!!! They turned out so delicious, i added a bit more cayenne pepper so they could be spicier and im so in love. The only bad thing is that they crumble as im eating it, but i love the texture of it, not mushy at all. A little bit of effort grating the sweet potato but so worth it. 10000000000 stars

173 Diane December 31, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I love most all of the recipes I’ve found on your page Angela. Planning to use this recipe for a New Years meal, these burgers sound amazing. I already made a batch of the sauce and we’ve eaten it as salad dressing and dip for steamed vegetables. Thanks so much for your blog.

174 nima January 26, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This burger is awesome. I am new to vegan food and I am amazed how easy it is to prepare.
I can only recommend this!!!

175 Chef Jimmy February 16, 2016

Supper amazing recipe, genius Angela is. Sauce is amazing

176 Ida February 19, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Uh-maZING! Soooo good! We actually had this with your Tropical Mango, Banana & Pineapple Kale Salad which was a hit! The peanut sauce… I could eat it by the barrel!

177 mallory clark April 1, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I just made this recipe last night. As an avid Vietnamese and Thai cook I loved the idea of making a Thai veggie burger – and the sweet potato is such a nice addition to this burger. I baked most of my burgers, following the recipe, but I also decided to try and pan fry a few just to compare texture and final results ( cooking them like I do my falafel burgers). I found that the oven baked burgers were a bit dry and lacked flavor but the burgers that I pan fried were amazingly moist and much more flavorful. I wasn’t sure if pan frying them would allow the sweet potato enough time to cook but the result was really wonderful. I do like the idea of baking the burgers – it’s healthier and easier to cook them all at once – but I am wondering if there is a way to add more moisture to the burgers.

178 Danielle April 4, 2016
Recipe Rating:

True confessions??? I’m eating one raw! SO delicious!