Thai Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with Spicy Peanut Sauce

thaiveggieburger 2351   Thai Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with Spicy Peanut Sauce

Mondays aren’t all bad, you know.

thaiveggieburger   Thai Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with Spicy Peanut Sauce

I mean, if you had this burger to look forward to after your first day back, it might make Monday your new favourite day of the week.

Ok, probably not. But, let me just say one thing: This burger needs to be a part of your life as soon as possible!

ginger   Thai Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with Spicy Peanut Sauce

These Thai-inspired veggie burgers are made with a base of shredded sweet potato and chickpeas and are flavoured with fresh ginger, garlic, cilantro, basil, and a sprinkle of lime juice and toasted sesame oil. Oh my lanta! If that weren’t enough, salted, roasted chopped peanuts are stirred into the mix to give these burgers a wicked nutty crunch that’s just downright hard to resist. Even the uncooked batter is delicious in its own right!

thaiveggieburgervegan   Thai Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with Spicy Peanut Sauce

I stacked the baked golden patties with roasted sweet potato rounds (if we’re roasting, we might as well roast the leftover sweet potato!), fresh tomato and lettuce, and then drizzled it with some of my favourite spicy peanut sauce.

thaiveggieburger 2353   Thai Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with Spicy Peanut Sauce

Even Eric, the peanut butter hater, loves these burgers – peanut sauce and all. I don’t know whether to be happy or sad.

The peanut sauce makes a good amount, so I made a simple shredded kale salad to serve on the side. I added a shredded carrot and a few green onions into the finely chopped kale. A nice little side salad!

The sauce is good on pretty much everything from salads to wraps to roasted veggies and noodle bowls. You can also make this sauce with almond butter or even sunflower seed butter for a nut-free version (adjusting other ingredients to taste, of course). See my tips in the recipe below on how to make this recipe nut and soy free. I’ve got you covered.

Monday you never looked so good. Let’s live it up!

thaiveggieburger 2397   Thai Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with Spicy Peanut Sauce

Thai Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers

Vegan, gluten-free

By

print icon   Thai Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with Spicy Peanut Sauce

Bursting with flavour, these Thai-inspired veggie burgers will make your every dream come true! The patties are made with a base of shredded sweet potato and chickpeas and are flavoured with fresh garlic, ginger, cilantro, basil, and a sprinkle of lime juice and sesame seed oil. To add some delicious crunchy texture, I've mixed in some chopped roasted and salted peanuts into the mix. These burgers are naturally gluten-free and you can make them soy-free by using coconut aminos instead of the tamari (or simply omit the tamari all together). See my note below on making this recipe nut-free. Peanut sauce is adapted from my Almond Butter Sauce.

Yield

• 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
  • 1/2 cup roasted and salted peanuts, finely chopped
  • 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats, processed into a coarse flour
  • 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax + 3 tbsp water, mixed in bowl
  • 1/2 tablespoon sesame seed oil
  • 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari (or coconut aminos for soy-free option)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the peanut sauce:
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 6 tablespoons smooth peanut butter (or almond or sunflower seed butter)
  • 2.5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari (or coconut aminos)
  • 1-2 tablespoons water, as needed
  • 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup (or other sweetener)
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Peel the sweet potato. Using a box grater with the regular-sized grate holes, grate 1.5 cups of sweet potato. Place in large bowl. I had about 1/2 of the sweet potato leftover, so I sliced it into 1-cm rounds and placed it on the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
  3. In a large bowl, stir together the grated sweet potato, cilantro, basil, garlic, ginger, and chopped peanuts.
  4. In a food processor, add the oats and process until finely chopped. You want the texture to be like a coarse flour. Stir the oat flour into the bowl with the vegetables.
  5. Now add the drained chickpeas into the processor and process until finely chopped. You want the mixture to be a cross between a coarse paste and finely chopped chickpeas, but don't completely puree the chickpeas. Stir the processed chickpeas into the bowl with the vegetables and oat flour.
  6. In a mug, whisk together the ground flax and water. Let it sit for only 20 seconds or so, any longer and it will get too thick. Stir this flax egg into the vegetable chickpea mixture until fully combined.
  7. Stir in the sesame oil, tamari, lime juice, coriander, salt, and pepper all to taste.
  8. Shape the mixture into 6-8 patties, packing each patty tightly between your hands so it holds together well. Place each patty onto the prepared baking sheet along with the sweet potato rounds.
  9. Bake for 20 minutes, then gently flip the patties and potato rounds and bake for another 15-17 minutes until golden on both sides. You might have to remove the sweet potato a bit early - just keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
  10. While the burgers are baking, prepare the peanut sauce. Add all sauce ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth. Adjust ingredients to taste if desired. The sauce will thicken up as it sits.
  11. After baking, place patties on a cooling rack for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Serve with toasted buns (or lettuce or whole grain wraps), tomato slices, roasted sweet potato, lettuce, and the peanut sauce.
  12. The peanut sauce will store in the fridge for at least a week. The burgers can be frozen (after baking and cooling) for a couple weeks.

Notes: 1) To make the burgers soy-free, use coconut aminos in place of the tamari or simply omit it all together. 2) To make this recipe nut-free, omit the peanuts in the burgers and use sunflower seeds instead. For the peanut sauce, you can probably use sunflower seed butter instead of the peanut butter, but you will likely have to adjust the other ingredients to taste since its more bitter than peanut butter.

A big Happy Birthday goes out to my amazing mom!! XOXO

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 28, 2013

I’m going to start carb loading for my first marathon next week and was planning to incorporate as many sweet potatoes as possible. This is perfect! I love making thai peanut sauce with PB2.

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} October 28, 2013

Yes, this burger would certainly make my Monday better! I arrived at work only to discove that my office was flooded by the sprinkler system over the weekend. Everything is soaked and ruined. :-(

I love your previous veggie burgers and this sauce looks amazing. Thanks Angela for yet another amazing recipe.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 28, 2013

I loooove the look of this! Awesome!

Corinne October 28, 2013

These look DELICIOUS! I’m going to make them…. we just harvested a whole lot of sweet potatoes from our garden yesterday!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 28, 2013

These sound so, SO good Ange! I’m all about peanut sauce right now and just bought another jar of PB – I don’t think I’ve ever gone through it as fast as I have in the past month! Can’t wait to try them out. Happy Monday! :)

Abby@The Frosted Vegan October 28, 2013

I love that my favorite thing, crunchy chickpeas, are included in these…genius!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 28, 2013

Oh man those look good and I bet that peanut sauce would make an awesome salad dressing too especially with something with a little bite like arugula!

OSGMOM October 28, 2013

I’m putting this recipe creation on my birthday wish list — :) xo

Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day October 28, 2013

Oh wow, these look amazing! I made some peanut sauce yesterday to drizzle on roasted broccoli and I was eating it by the spoonful, looks like these burgers might need to come up on the list soon!

Emily - It Comes Naturally Blog October 28, 2013

Not sure I can persuade the hubby to try the sweet potato burgers, but the peanut sauce looks to be a winner!

Emma October 28, 2013

Wow Angela, you’ve outdone yourself here! Looks like it’s got a great texture, and I love how you piled it high with the sweet potato rounds :)

Ceara October 28, 2013

Your wonderful posts bring the biggest smile to my face! Your recipes always look and taste divine! I can’t wait to make these burgers!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2013

thank you Ceara! Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. :)

Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 28, 2013

Ok, so I’m drooling as I type this: I love sweet potatoes. I love all things Thai. I could happily drown in peanut sauce. So, as you can imagine, Thai sweet potato veggie burgers with peanut sauce is, like, basically the holy grail for my taste buds. Weekly menu, we have a new front-runner!

Shundara@SavyNaturalista October 28, 2013

I can almost taste the ginger and soy sauce in this burger! I know my Monday is defiantly covered with this recipe!! :)

Tanja (germany) October 28, 2013

biiig burger, yummy! Love your blog, i tried many
recipes.. At the moment cool down granola nuts..!

Jesse @OutToLunchC October 28, 2013

This looks delicious! I ordered the Buddha Bowl from Fresh last night and the spicy peanut butter sauce is my favorite. I can’t wait to try this recipe because I think it will be similar, yummmm.

The Peace Patch October 28, 2013

Crazyamazing flavor combination…a gingery burger is a perfect way to kick up a Monday! I’d love to try making them into baked balls too and dip them in the sauce, just for the screaming fun of it. Thanks for the recipe! :)

Val November 18, 2013

That is a great idea. Kebabs, even!

Marygrace October 28, 2013

Peanut sauce on a veggie burger! THERE’S a great idea to get me out of my ketchup rut.

Pramila October 28, 2013

The burgers look great, and are a good alternative to the Morningstar Farms patties- I am so done with those! I am wondering, though, do these patties freeze well?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2013

They should freeze fine – make sure to cool them after baking first.

Sarah October 29, 2013

Sorry if this is a stupid question: Why do you have to bake them before freezing?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2013

not a stupid question at all – baking them first seems to help them hold together better after thawing and cooking. Just a personal preference!

amy w October 28, 2013

Hi Angela & readers! I love the look of this veggie burger!! It’s nice to see glutinous burgers that are oozing and spilling out of the bun that DON’T have meat! :)
I work at a restaurant in Toronto ( we are right next door to Fresh on queen st west actually!)
And since it is a pretty meat & fish heavy menu I just introduced a falafel burger to the menu, and it is selling like hotcakes. I wanted to mention that after researching falafel I found that you can used soaked chickpeas for the mix ( you DONT need to cook them!) and it works great. You can pan fry and then bake in the oven, or deep fry – if you have the guts to do that in your house haha.
My ratio is 6 cups soaked chickpeas, one large onion diced, 1 bunch green onion and whatever spices you want to add + 2 TBSP ALL PURPOSE FLOUR which I am trying to eventually omit so I can offer them as a gluten free option. Any ideas of a flour I could use instead? I suppose chickpea flour? Anyway wanted to mention the soaked chickpeas could work for your recipe too since I know we all have a bag of dried chickpeas and never get around to cooking them! Thanks for your blog I love it so much. It inspires me every day.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2013

Hey Amy,
Thanks for your comment! Glad to hear you are serving up a meat-free option on the menu. I’ve always wanted to try the soaked/no cook chickpea method in falafel, but wondered if the chickpeas would be harder to digest? Have you noticed any tummy issues? I know soaking helps a lot, but I wonder how I would digest them without the extra cooking time too. How long do you soak for? Anyway, let me know if you try it out with this recipe!
As for the flour, you can usually swap AP flour for AP gluten-free flour (I like Cuisine Soleil brand and it’s Canadian too) just fine.

amy w October 28, 2013

Hi Angela! Thanks for replying. Ok I’ll try gf flour.
I always soak them atleast overnight, and I usually soak a big batch and just leave them in the fridge for when I need to whiz up at batch. I haven’t noticed any stomach issues! I have a vegetarian waitress who eats them all the time now and she hasn’t complained. I’ve eaten them myself too. No ill effects. I think the overnight soak plus “cooking” the burger is enough to cook the chickpeas.. I also found they were alot less wet and less willing to break apart than when I tried it with cooked ( and canned) chickpeas.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2013

Good to hear! Thanks for replying :) I’ll have to try it with my falafel recipe sometime!

dishing up the dirt October 28, 2013

these sound delicious! Pinned!

Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living October 28, 2013

This recipe makes me look forward to Mondays! Thanks for sharing!

Laura October 28, 2013

Wow, these look incredible! I just had lunch but somehow I am hungry again? Geez, Angela the things you do for your readers! ;)

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate October 28, 2013

The best part of these is definitely the peanut sauce! I love peanut sauce!

Maria Tadic October 28, 2013

What a fun flavor combo!!! These look so good! I definitely can’t wait to try them – I love anything Thai!!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks October 28, 2013

I love the color of these burgers, Angela! The yellow is so sunny and cheery, and I bet with the ginger, lime, coriander, all those great Thai flavors, they’re so good. And of course everything is better with peanut sauce! Pinned!

janae @ bring joy October 28, 2013

Anything thai is soo good. Which makes me wonder why we don’t put peanuts, cilantro, lime, & ginger into everything we make ;)?

Matt G. October 28, 2013

Are you getting a little bit of a crust using just parchment? I’ve been on a VB tear lately and have tried a few different methods. parchment + olive oil (oil pools), alum foil + oil (alum foil tears), just olive oil on the baking sheet. Seems like oil + sheet gives a decent crust.

The VB books I’ve been cooking from suggest pan frying first before baking but I skip that step….it’s a huge pain and takes too much time.

Chelsea@TableForOne October 28, 2013

These burgers look fabulous! I love the combination of chickpeas, sweet potatoes, and peanut sauce. Delish!

Alex @ Kenzie Life October 28, 2013

Oh heck yes! My Monday just got a whole lot better! Thanks Angela!

Mary Pascall October 28, 2013

Oh these have everything going for them!! You want to have these in the freezer to go to at all times. I’m thinking of making them into balls as well as patties to use in a cashew creamy curry! Your photography is inspiring, by the way. Keep ‘em coming!

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables October 28, 2013

That peanut sauce looks a lot like one that we make and put on pretty much EVERYTHING. It’s so good! These burgers look awesome also, I’d been looking for a new veggie burger recipe to try, it might have to be these!

Vicki @ WITK October 28, 2013

Oh wow, these burgers look amazing! I love Thai everything and these burgers look like the perfect monday meal.

Shel@PeachyPalate October 28, 2013

Amazing! Definitely pinning to make this week!

Psychedelic Floid October 28, 2013

This is amazing!! I have to try this one!

Kristi October 28, 2013

I was just trying to figure out what I was making tomorrow to use up some of my sweet potatoes, and now I know! Thanks. This looks delicious.

Elizabeth~Hippy Mom October 28, 2013

Great recipe, I actually make one to three of your recipes off your blog DAILY. So, I would like to ask you, hope its ok, I myself do medical research, were any of your findings published, maybe a journal, anything interesting? I will eventually have my own study on plant based medicines, I will research infinitley! Thanks

Leon October 28, 2013

Wow! Now that’s a kind of burger worth craving. It’s pretty foolish of me to check this blog so late, forces me to run to the kitchen each time.. :)

Shael October 28, 2013

Amazing post, cannot wait to try these!!
Question: I have oat flour on hand how much should I adjust the measurement by?

Love LOVE your blog, thank you for continuing to share your creative and delicious recipes with us!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2013

You can sub in 3/4 cup oat flour. It’s usually the same measurement, so 3/4 cup rolled oats equals about 3/4 cup oat flour too. Makes it easy, right? Enjoy the burgers.

Ali @ Inspiralized October 28, 2013

This looks mind boggling yummy!! I can’t wait to try this!! Wow.

Nichole October 28, 2013

I am really looking forward to making this later this week. It looks incredible! Just curious, does it freeze as well as your perfect burger? I love having them on hand for those days when I am feeling lazy. =)

Nichole October 28, 2013

Never mind I saw your reply to someone else. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I am looking forward to buying your book!

Page 1 of 3123»