Detox Tabbouleh

Detoxtabboulehgrainfree-7070

I know I’m a bit late to the party, but I’d like to talk about cauliflower rice today. For those of you who haven’t heard, cauliflower rice is simply grated/processed raw cauliflower that (somewhat) resembles traditional rice. It can be substituted for regular rice (or other grains) in some recipes whenever a lighter, grain-free option is desired. I first tried making cauliflower rice last year, but it didn’t turn out very well. I processed it with the S-blade in my food processor and I ended up with a watery, over-processed mess. Not very appetizing. I gave up on the idea until recently when I decided to come up with a no-cook, raw tabbouleh recipe. Rather than using traditional bulgur or a pseudo-grain like quinoa (as in my Quinoa Tabbouleh With a Twist recipe), I thought, why not see what happens with cauliflower rice? As it turns out, a quick Google search informs me that I’m certainly not the only one to try out this idea!

This time, I used a regular box grater to grate the cauliflower, but a grater blade attachment on a food processor would work much faster. Grating by hand was messy (the pieces shoot everywhere) and a bit time-consuming, but it did yield a grate outcome (see what I did there?). My theory is that grating the cauliflower (rather than processing it with an s-blade) reduces the chance that you’ll end up releasing too much water in the cauliflower. When using raw cauliflower rice in a salad like this, the less watery the better. So, moral of the story – use a box grater or the grater attachment on your food processor for best results. {Note to self: find grater attachment blade!}

detoxtabbouleh

Despite its short-comings in the aroma department (P U), cauliflower is an important vegetable to include in our diets. Cruciferous vegetables (such as broccoli, kale, cauliflower, cabbage, watercress, and mustard greens) are said to be detoxifying because they provide support for the immune, inflammatory, hormonal, detoxification, and antioxidant systems in the body. They also contain powerful anti-cancer compounds unique to this class of vegetables. (source) One more reason to dig in!

After grating a large head of cauliflower I was left with about 5-7 cups making it the perfect volume-boosting veggie to add to this salad. I also added a pint of sliced grape tomatoes, as well as a generous amount of flavour-packed parsley and cilantro, celery, green onions, and hemp seeds for some protein power and healthy fats. The end result is a salad bursting with fresh flavour and crunch!

detoxtabboulehgrainfreevegan2

For the dressing, I used a very simple mixture of red wine vinegar, flax seed oil, and a touch of salt and sweetener. This tangy and lightly sweet dressing is flavourful enough to stand up to the earthy raw cauliflower. I love to use flax seed oil in salad dressings due to its high omega-3 fatty acid content, but if you don’t have flax seed oil, feel free to use extra virgin olive oil.

detoxtabboulehgrainfreevegan

Just mix it all up and you have a quick and easy raw tabbouleh that would rival any traditional tabbouleh. I didn’t have high expectations for this recipe, but it totally blew me away. You’ll have to trust me on this one. I enjoy my Detox Salad recipe a lot, but this one is my new go-to, without a doubt.

My favourite way to enjoy this is served with Buckwheat Crackers and hummus. It makes a great snack or light summery lunch when you don’t want to turn on the oven. The leftovers will keep for a couple days and it tastes even better after sitting for a few hours so the flavours can develop. Just be sure to toss it well before serving.

Detoxtabboulehgrainfree-7076

Detox Tabbouleh

Email, text, or print this recipe

Inspired by: Detox Salad

Serves 4

for the salad:

• 1 large cauliflower, leaves removed
  • 1 pint (1.5 cups) grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced
  • 1.5 cups fresh parsley, minced
  • 1 & 1/4 cups finely chopped celery
  • 3/4 cup cilantro, minced
  • 2-4 green onions, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup or more)
  • 2 tablespoons hulled hemp seeds

for the dressing:

• 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons flax seed oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
  • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt

1. If using a food processor, use the grater blade attachment. Drop cauliflower florets into the machine to grate. If using a box grater, quarter the cauliflower and grate each piece until just the stem is left. Scoop into a large bowl. Discard leftover stem pieces.

2. Stir the rest of the vegetables (tomatoes, parsley, celery, cilantro, and green onion) into the bowl.

3. Whisk together the dressing in a small glass or jar. Pour onto salad and toss to combine, adjusting salt to taste if desired. You can serve it immediately or place it in the fridge for a few hours so the flavours can develop a bit more. Just before serving, sprinkle with hemp seeds for added protein.

Salad will keep in a container for a couple days (possibly longer) in the fridge.

Nutritional Info

~~~~~

Before signing off today, I wanted to mention the tragedy in Lac-Megantic, Quebec last week. My heart goes out to everyone impacted by this horrific explosion. Thinking of you all….xo

1 Osgmom July 14, 2013

Can’t wait to make this detox salad!! It looks delicious :)

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 14, 2013

John is going to hate me…hahah ;) Enjoy

3 Alisha @ Gluten Free Perspective July 14, 2013

How refreshing! I love making the cauliflower rice, but I’m a lazy cook– I stick it in the food processor and pulse it. :o)

4 Sarah @ Yogi in Action July 14, 2013

I’ve never heard of cauliflower rice before! I definitely think I’ll have to try this out- looks delicious and is something different than usual, which I love! Sometimes I get so bored of the grain part of the meal!

5 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl July 14, 2013

Yum… looks like a great new cauliflower rice recipe to try! I’ve been making cauliflower rice for awhile now. I’ve actually had pretty good luck just using my s-blade in the food processor.

6 Joy //For the Love of Leaves July 14, 2013

This sounds like the perfect dish to keep around in the summer. Light, refreshing, packed with nutrients… This my be a new summer staple in my diet!

7 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 14, 2013

I’ve seen a few recipes for cauliflower ‘rice’ before but keep forgetting to try it. I *love* Tabbouleh so I’m confident this will be the catalyst I need to finally try it!

8 Ksenija @ Health Ninja July 14, 2013

What a great idea to use cauliflower instead of couscous! Yum! There is half a head of cauliflower waiting in my fridge to be used up – good to know that to do with it this week :)

9 Amb July 14, 2013

I have made cauliflower “fried rice” before and it turned out soo god! I’ve also made mashed potatoes and alfredo sauce with cauliflower! I love how versatile it is!!! I can’t wait to try this recipe!!!

10 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 14, 2013

This sounds awesome!! I LOVE riced/grated cauliflower! It is one of my current obsessions ;).

11 char eats greens July 14, 2013

Welllll, since I’m coming to your town today, maybe you could share the love with me?!?! haha. This looks great! I can only imagine how much it flies everywhere because…ughhh…even grating carrots and beets, I get it everywhere!!!

12 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes July 14, 2013

This sounds and looks delicious!

13 anna July 14, 2013

I love your other detox salad recipes so I’ll have to try this one. Would you recommend mint as a substitute at all? my garden is exploding with it and I recently was thinking of trying a recipe I found for tabbouleh with mint. Thoughts?

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 14, 2013

Hey Anna, I was wondering the same thing myself actually! I have yet to try mint in tabbouleh, but I need to do that next…let me know how it goes if you try it. I would start off with a smaller amount and add to taste.

15 Momo July 14, 2013

I was raised on a very traditional Armenian diet, mainly fruits, veggies, and grains. We always did tabouleh with cracked wheat (medium), cucumber, tomato, mint, parsley, lemon juice, vinegar, and olive oil, and served it ice cold with chunks of lettuce. This sounds delicious though!

16 Haddad December 27, 2013

While this sounds delicious, a Lebanese person would look at you crazy if you told them this is Tabouli!!! This is very far from the traditional recipe. Mint is a staple ingredient in real tabouli. The traditional recipe is burghul (cracked wheat), parsley, white onion, green onion, tomato, parsley, fresh lemon juice, olive oil, mint, salt, pepper and cinnamon. My family is from Lebanon and we make it all the time. Cucumber can be put in, but this is not the purest recipe. If you are GF, leave out the wheat completely or add a small amount of gluten free cous cous or quinoa. Serve with romaine lettuce leaves to scoop up the tabouli. This is best eaten in the summer when digestion is strong and the weather is hot!!

17 Alex July 14, 2013

This looks so yummy! I love making huge portions of food like this for quick and easy lunches throughout the week.

18 Victoria July 14, 2013

It looks yummy! I have almost all the ingredients, except for hemp seeds. I’ve read they’re similar in taste to walnuts. Could the walnuts work as a substitute? Thanks so much! :)

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 14, 2013

Hey Victoria, Oh for sure – feel free to use any seed or nut you’d like. They aren’t 100% necessary in this recipe, just something I added on a whim. :)

20 Faith July 14, 2013

Looks delicious! Are the buckwheat crackers store-bought, or did you make them? I’ve never seen buckwheat crackers for sale.

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 14, 2013

They are from a local store called Organic Garage, but I’ve been meaning to make them at home. The ingredients are just buckwheat and salt! I think I might try making some in the dehydrator…

22 Jessica July 16, 2013

Ak-Mak crackers, I’m pretty sure, are buckwheat. You can get them at Whole Foods.

23 Emma July 14, 2013

Incidentally I just posted a cauliflower fried rice recipe on my blog yesterday. I’m late to the party too :S I was planning on doing a raw cauli rice next, so when the tomatoes in the greenhouse ripen up I’ll be trying this tabbouleh!

24 Amanda @SpiritualSweat July 14, 2013

This is my ideal summer lunch! I bet it would be great in a wrap for an on-the-go lunch. Thanks Angela, I always look forward to your recipes! Btw, I’m still obsessed with your coconut bars recipe. There always seems to be a stash in my freezer ;)

25 Jean July 14, 2013

This looks SO refreshing and healthy! Whenever I’m actually motivated to hand grate a cauliflower myself, I’m definitely making this. Thanks for the recipe.

26 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar July 14, 2013

This sounds like such a delight!

27 Suzanne July 14, 2013

Angela, whenever you post a recipe I get so excited! This looks delicious and I will try it soon. I am a born-again cauliflower fan after trying your roasted buddha bowl!

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 14, 2013

lol @ born again cauliflower fan! I guess I would be too! ;) Well, actually, I’m not sure I ever enjoyed it much in my earlier years…

29 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh July 14, 2013

Thanks for the tip about grating it because I’ve been wanting to try it and no doubt would’ve just chucked in the processor with an S blade! Now…where is that darn grater blade? :-)

30 Alex July 14, 2013

I just made your detox salad for the first time a few weeks ago (with a few adjustments since I didn’t quite have everything on hand) and it was delightful! I can’t wait to try the detox tabbouleh especially since I recently found out I have a gluten intolerance. Hope you are having a good weekend!

31 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 14, 2013

Sounds lovely Ange! I love tabbouleh. Like you, I’ve found that the S blad does make a bit of a watery mess. My trick is to only half-fill the processor jug so that there’s plenty of room for the cauliflower to move upwards, then pulse it rather than putting it on constant speed. Still not perfect, but unfortunately I don’t have a grater blade on my food processor – I didn’t even know they existed and now I want one! :)

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 14, 2013

love that tip Ange! Thanks for passing it along. :)

33 Krysten (@darwinianfail) July 14, 2013

This looks FABULOUS!!! DELISH!! Hope you are liking your new digs!

34 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 14, 2013

oh this looks SO GOOD!

35 Averie @ Averie Cooks July 14, 2013

yield a grate outcome <– love that :)

And I love this salad! It's been years since I've made raw cauli rice. I used a box grater and I do remember having issues with it flying all over the countertop! lol But it was worth it. I love cauli and actually prefer it raw to cooked, and when it's small and grated like this, it's just the best texture!

And that sweetish but tangy dressing with red wine vinegar, mmmm, so good I bet!

36 Luv What You Do July 14, 2013

Your gorgeous photos make cauliflower rice look great! This Tabbouleh would have gone perfectly with our Mediterranean Feast tonight!

37 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health July 14, 2013

Woo hoo for cruciferous vegetables! :)
I think it’s almost impossible to think of something to make and find that it hasn’t already been done after doing a Google search. If we let that hold us back, we’d never make anything!
I never thought of using a grater for cauliflower rice so thanks for the tip! And I love the way this sounds with hummus on a cracker, so light and healthy. Perfect for this time of year!

38 Katie July 15, 2013

Hi Angela,

I won’t lie – you’re making me feel pretty famous right now! I made this almost exact dish in May for a vegan raw potluck! It was based on my quinoa tabouli recipe, and featured tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini, green onions, and parsley. The dressing was also more lime-juice based, only because I was unsure if vinegar was “raw” enough (Silly question, but they were picky!) It was a hit – so much so I didn’t even get any!

I am obsessed with cauliflower, and cannot wait for it to appear at the farmers markets. So since I didn’t get my cauliflower tabouli, I made some for myself, but this time what I called a “Spanish rice” version. I kept the same veg, changed up the parsley for cilantro, added some garlic scrapes, and made a dressing of lime juice, cumin, oregano, and cayenne. My Spanish rice was also a hit! :)

I always get so excited when things I make appear in blogs I respect after I’m inspired to create them. I’m glad cauliflower tabouli is a hit at your house too!

39 alishadhi July 15, 2013

its looks so Yummy…definitely gonna try it…thanks for the post…

40 MIZ July 15, 2013

making today!!!
cant wait…

41 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen July 15, 2013

I eat a lot of broccoli and Brussels sprouts, but for some reason I don’t buy cauliflower that often. But this is making me want to pick some up now!

42 Holly July 15, 2013

I’ve never heard of cauliflower rice but I’m quite intrigued… Thanks for sharing! I’m soooo going to make this.

43 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} July 15, 2013

I eat salads every day at this time of year and tabbouleh is one of my favorites! I love roasted cauliflower and will eat it raw too, I’ve yet to try it as “rice” though, I will have to check if my food processor has a grate blade. I hate cutting cauliflower because of the mess it makes.

44 Laura July 15, 2013

looks delicious as always, angela!

45 Kristy Kelley July 15, 2013

Where do you get the buckwheat crackers? They look delish!

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2013

from a grocery store called Organic Garage. I should try making them though b/c the ingredients are simply buckwheat and salt! Should be easy to make in the dehydrator I’d think.

47 Jennifer Fischer July 15, 2013

I love this idea and will definitely be trying it. I have made pizza crust from cauliflower and done mac n’cheese with cauliflower as the mac. I love this idea. I’m a huge tabbouleh fan and often experiment with different grain variations with it, but have never thought to do this. Now, I will!

48 Caitlin July 15, 2013

love this idea! i’m late to the party, too, because my food processor is ancient and has no grater attachment. i guess i will just use my box grater as well!

49 Alexandra @ Lean Green Healthy Machine July 15, 2013

Cauliflower really is so versatile! I haven’t tried it to make rice yet but I’m so intrigued after seeing the beautiful results. Thanks!

50 ieatdarkchocolateeveryday July 15, 2013

Tabouli is my very favorite food! And I love love love the idea of using cauliflower instead of the bulgur wheat!!! I have to take issue with your dressing though. It should have lemon juice instead of vinegar, no sweetener (since the lemon juice is sweeter than vinegar) and a clove of fresh pressed garlic (soak the pressed garlic in the lemon juice for 5 minutes before making the dressing and you will “cook” the pungency away for a more mild garlic yumminess!) It would also be my personal opinion that celery has no place in this recipe.

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2013

This isn’t supposed to be authentic by any means, but yes traditional tabbouleh is also fantastic in its own right. :) Great tips!

52 Josie July 15, 2013

This looks yummy!…but sadly, raw cauliflower makes me painfully bloated. :(

53 Pamela August 21, 2014

Me, too. But I discovered if I lightly sauté the grated cauliflower, just until it’s heated through, I have no problems. I add the dressing to the warmed cauliflower and it soaks up so nicely. Then I cool the mixture, then add the remaining ingredients. Try a small sample and see if this works for you.

54 Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} July 15, 2013

Looks delicious! I’ve been meaning to try cauliflower rice for a while, and tabbouleh sounds like perfect way to incorporate it. Thanks for the recipe!

55 Caro July 15, 2013

I just logged on looking for a delicious and healthy side for lunch and this was perfect! What a great idea!

56 Allison July 15, 2013

Looks good. Where did you get the buckwheat crackers from? I am going gluten free and looking for crackers.

57 Allison July 15, 2013

I just read through the comments and found that you already posted where the crackers are from. Thanks

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2013

Sorry for the delay in reply – they are from Organic Garage, but as I mentioned you might be able to make them at home as the ingredients are just buckwheat flour, salt, and water I believe. :)

59 Laura July 15, 2013

This looks great. I have a question – what do you mean when you say quinoa is a pseudo-grain?

60 LindseyMM July 16, 2013

Hi Laura! Quinoa is technically a seed, but cooked quinoa can be used in recipes the same way grains (rice, millet, wheat berries, cracked wheat, etc.) would be used. Hence, pseudo-grain. Hope that helps!

61 Abby W. July 15, 2013

I enjoy Tabbouleh with Mmmm Sauce (peasandthankyou.com) on crackers or an English Muffin. You should try it. Thanks for the recipe

62 McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped July 15, 2013

Love this idea! I’m a huge fan of cauliflower rice, I have a couple recipes using it in a variety of ways! Thanks for sharing your take on it ;)

63 allie July 15, 2013

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO HATES CAULIFLOWER? UGH. IT COULD BE KICKED OFF THE PLANET AND I WOULD REJOICE! I know…i should grow up! ha this does look interesting…

64 Kelly @ Vegan Iowan July 15, 2013

I have been curious about cauliflower rice but not in love with the thought of the smell/taste, but the dressing looks delicious and looks like it would really cut down on the harshness of the flavor. Thanks for sharing!

65 Megan @ MegGoesNomNom July 15, 2013

Cauliflower gets a bad rap! I love it! I’m glad to see you give it a little love here. Great idea including it in tabbouleh!

66 Suzanne July 15, 2013

Looks amazing! I love cauliflower so this is right up my alley. My boyz always complain about the stink when I eat it ;-). My only problem is not liking cilantro – which everyone seems to LOVE! I will have to make some with and some without. I have come very far in liking so many foods that I did not used to like – but this one still gets me!
Thanks for another great one Angela!

67 Anna @ Your Healthy Place July 15, 2013

Tabbouleh is one of my favourites yet surprisingly I haven’t made it myself at home before. Love that I have this recipe to guide me :).

68 Meg July 15, 2013

Love love love this recipe – I made it for lunch today! I put all the dressing ingredients in my vita mix along with the hemp seeds and blended until the dressing was nice and creamy. It was so tasty!

69 Court Star @ StarSystemz July 15, 2013

Another incredible recipe! I need cauliflower in my life but never seem to be able to get it organically grown! I may need to visit a farmers market in the near future! Thanks for sharing this INCREDIBLE idea! Love + Shine courtstar

70 Grubarazzi July 16, 2013

Well, now I know exactly what to do with that head of cauliflower in my fridge now! yay!

71 Julie July 16, 2013

This looks amazing!! I am allergic to celery, what would be a good substitution? I do not have any other veggie allergies.
Thanks!

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2013

what about cucumber?

73 Julie July 16, 2013

Perfect! That is what I will do. Can’t wait to make this tomorrow. I have yet to make a recipe of yours I didn’t like, I’m sure this will be delish!!
I have already preordered your cookbook…can’t wait for it to come out!! :)

74 Wendy July 16, 2013

I really love that you post salad recipes as detox recipes! There is a common misconception that to properly detox, a juice cleanse, master cleanse, or some type of “cleanse” is required! But look no further than simple flooding our bodies with nutrients and yummy salads! I like your style :)

75 s e July 16, 2013

I just made this and added some olives, sprouted mung beans, and sprouted chickpeas. Delicious!!!!

76 Lauren July 16, 2013

I’ve used my Vitamix to make cauliflower rice and it worked surprisingly well–very easy too!

77 Marielle July 16, 2013

Great Idea! I like alternatives to slathering sauce and cheese on cauliflower! Btw, have you read Eating on the Wild Side by Jo Robinson? They were talking about the book on Canada AM the other day. I bought it and HIGHLY recommend it. From what I’ve seen in your blog over the last two years, it would be right up your alley!!! :) Cheers!

78 Madeline July 16, 2013

I made this for lunch today and absolutely loved it! It was delightfully refreshing and so flavorful! I’m loving these summery vegetable dishes you’re posting! It’s great having Delicious and exciting meals that are so healthy!

79 Maggie @ Sunnyside Up Smile July 16, 2013

I’d never heard of cauliflower rice before this post! This looks so delicious Angela! I bet the texture is heavenly.

80 Fiona July 16, 2013

This was crazy good!!! I used my grater attachment on my food processor, subbed basil for cilantro because that’s what I had, used olive oil, and left out the sweetener. Def going to be making this again! Thanks for a great recipe!

81 Jamie @lifelovelemons July 17, 2013

Loving this healthy salad!

82 Gan July 17, 2013

Cauliflower in tabbouleh…totally unexpected! I love the idea of serving it on crisp bread with hummus. Such a light & fresh meal for a hot summer day.

83 Christine July 17, 2013

I grated my cauliflower in the sink in a bowl; no mess :)
Thank you for all the time you put into tasty food. So grateful I found you!
You make it SO easy.

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2013

Ah, why didn’t I think of that!! Thanks for the tip – I will use this next time :)

85 Alexandra July 17, 2013

hey Angela! I’ve also struggled with an eating disorder and just got out of IOP in Feburary- I’m realizing slowly that I am still struggling with lunch :l I was wondering if there are any “tofu-ed up” (instead of beefed up) pita pockets or any good ideas for things to throw into my lunchbox? thanks!

86 Lori July 18, 2013

This is delicious! I made it last night and munching on it right now at my desk at work. I’m a snacker and always looking for low calorie salads to fill me up. I’ll definitely make this one again! Also, I made the carrot cake smoothie this morning. Delicious also! Thanks for all of these amazing recipes.

87 Tami @Nutmeg Notebook July 18, 2013

I have tried a lot of different recipe with cauliflower and just can’t win my husband over to it unless I serve it oven roasted. I do love how versatile it is. This looks delicious.

88 Birdy& Bambi July 18, 2013

We love the blog! And we love vegan ice-cream.
The other day we found an ice-cream-vending machine which was really amazing (and also had vegan icecream!!!):

Greetings from Germany,

Birdy and Bambi

89 Katalijn July 18, 2013

Made this salad last night and it was delicious! Had some French bread with it instead or crackers (turned into garlic toast!) and had leftovers for lunch. We both loved it and will make it again and again, especially with the abundance of parsley in our garden. Thanks for the recipe!

90 Elena July 19, 2013

I made this salad and your chilled dark chocolate pie as refreshments for a house full of people last night, and both were a big hit! I even had a 13-year old notoriously picky-eater guest inform me that this was the first salad she has ever liked — it was big news to her mom! Thank you Angela.

91 Spencer July 19, 2013

Am currently munching on this delicious salad. Since cilantro is not my favorite, I substituted some mint for it, using just a little. Since I am out of red wine vinegar, used lemon juice instead. This is really tasty. Will become a staple.

92 Florence July 19, 2013

Tripled this recipe- It is AMAZING! I made it today for a group of friends along with your Raw Rad Pad Thai and everyone LOVED ’em both!!! Such a great idea with the cauliflower and the different vinaigrette ingredients…so refreshing and ALIVE tasting, will definitely be making more soon, as its all gone. Did grate by hand as my grater blade attachment is MIA. U R AWESOME ANGELA!! I LOVE YOUR RECIPES AND BLOG- perfect combo of sweet/savoury – raw/vegan! PURE PERFECTION:)

93 Lee July 20, 2013

I have started beefing my veg intake up by juicing a load every morning I have been doing it for two weeks now and the difference I feel is definately noticeable more alert and energetic. Not doing it as a detox but as an add to my diet. Lee

94 Joanne July 21, 2013

I love Tabbouleh salad! It is such a great no cook, non perishable food. I often take it backpacking with me because all one needs to do is add water, tomatoes and whatever else you want. I will try this recipe!

95 Francesca July 21, 2013

I made this for me and my boyfriend and we absolutely loved it! I also added chopped grapes as we had some lying around it was a nice addition! This website has been so helpful in allowing us to make small steps to having a much healthier lifestyle thank you so much!

96 Sarah July 21, 2013

Thank you! Made this for my lunch today… and for the next several at work this week! So refreshing. Used a lot of mint in mine. (No cilantro in the house today) and lemon juice mixed with a little white balsamic vinegar.

97 Nina January 27, 2014

The mint was a great addition. Made it taste so fresh!

98 Viswa July 22, 2013

I make cooked cauli rice all the time. Its a great rice fakeout, but never raw.. interesting

99 Aimee July 30, 2013

I made this tonight and loved it. It’s so light and refreshing, a great summer salad. I only had half of a head of cauliflower and it still made a ton. I’m happy to have lots of leftovers.

100 Amy August 1, 2013

I make cauliflower rice in the Vitamix. Works great and takes 5 seconds.

101 Leslie August 6, 2013

I LOVED this recipe!!! My husband and I ate the entire batch in 2 days!! I made it again for a family picnic this weekend and 3 people asked for the recipe. I’m going to send them the link!

102 Cristina August 26, 2013

Oh no :( I made this recipe and was not a fan at all. Off to the next recipe! :)

103 Denise August 26, 2013

Hi Angela. I absolutely love your recipes! One quick question on the dressing for this. I’ve never used red wine vinegar, do you think apple cider vinegar would be alright as a substitute?? Thanks so much!

104 michelle August 28, 2013

Was resisting the whole cauliflower-subbing for grains idea for so long, but your recipe made me a believer. Just ate this for lunch and it was amazing exactly as is. I’m trying not to overeat – those cruciferous veggies, y’know. (wink)

105 Alexa September 5, 2013

Hi Angela:

I’ve made this salad several times and played with it a little. I added cucumber and preserved lemon in the last incarnation and it was the bomb. Thank you so much for posting!

106 Yvonne December 30, 2013

Hello Angela,

I love cauliflower rice and make it often. Am looking forward to making this recipe now. Can you tell me what crackers are in the picture. Look like Wasa or maybe one of your creations.
Your recipes are the best.

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 30, 2013

Hi Yvonne, They are buckwheat crackers – store-bought unfortunately!

108 Leon January 1, 2014

This cauliflower rice idea is life-changing! I got hooked from the first time I made this salad and then I started implementing it into other things. I mix it up with some sautéed onions, parsley and spices and it tastes heavenly. I was just wondering if cauliflower is meant to be eaten raw? I haven’t really had adverse reactions (quite the opposite actually) but since it’s become such a staple for me, I figured I should find out if it’s healthy to eat it raw so frequently. Thanks!

109 Allison January 4, 2014

If you have red wine vinegar, but don’t use it often, check the expiry date before pouring it all over your beautiful vegetables!! I ruined mine with year old vinegar :(

110 vaseux January 10, 2014

Hello there! What would be a good substitute for the hemp seeds? In my line of work drug testing is a must, so I’m too paranoid to use those…

PS: I love, love, love your website! :)

111 Nina January 26, 2014

I think in an earlier comment Angela said the hemp seeds weren’t really needed and just added on a whim:) Sesame seeds might be a nice sub. I find with Angela’s recipes that any substitutes work beautifully!

112 Nina January 27, 2014

Finally made it tonight. Put in my food processor with S-blade and pulsed with the cilantro and parsley for about 1 minute. Worked great! Normally not a huge fan of cauliflower rice but wow! Loved this. Your recipes are inspiring. Also added mint, red pepper, touch of jalapeno, and cucumber and just put lemon juice and mashed avocado (left off tomatoes) into it with no oil. It was delish! Going to have to make more next time:) Thanks Angela!

113 bonnie February 1, 2014

I just made this and absolutely love it! Thanks for all your great recipes.

114 Kourtney June 10, 2014

I have had some issues with cauliflower lately and prefer jicama rice, does anyone think subbing jicama for the cauliflower would be an issue?

Thanks!

115 Pamela August 21, 2014

That sounds yummy. Go for it!

116 Bren February 9, 2015

We had the cauliflower mashed potatos with mushroom gravy for supper last night and it was delish! While typing this message there is a pot of your rooibos healing tea recipe steeping on the stove. I couldnt find tumeric root in Sudbury so I substituted it with 1/2 tsp of ground organic. I am happy to be the proud owner of your recipe book and have enjoyed many of your recipes. Keep them coming!

117 aleks February 10, 2015

Made it! So tasty!

118 Sue M. February 11, 2015

I made this last night and it was awesome! So light and refreshing, but filling. My head of cauliflower was huge and ended up being almost 10 cups, so we doubled everything and I’m glad we did. There are 6 of us, and my hubby had a little leftover to pack for lunch today. We did make one adjustment. My family is of the opinion that cilantro tastes like soap, so after a quick search online revealed that mint is traditionally used, we substituted mint for the cilantro. As I said already, awesome! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I’m never disappointed when I try something from your site!

119 Sandra McMillan February 12, 2015

Love that you are Canadian too! Love that you post such amazing recipes & blog posts! Love that you work at & support your local farmers markets!
I’m from the Wasaga Beach area & I am retired from my career in holistic nutrition & acupuncture & biofeedback & a proud grandma of 14.
Your posts on fresh, vegan/vegetarian inspire me & makes me always want to reach out & hug you with gratitude!
I have begun a new group called My New Circle of Friends on FB & meetup. In its infancy at this point. I have been widowed twice in 15 years & know how important the “community of women” is to our being happy & healthy our entire lives.
Young women like you will inspire all of us – no matter the age – to do better, to think better & to honour our body so we can” live long, healthy & joyful loves & die short. :)
I would love it if you would ponder the idea of speaking for a group of women in the Collingwood – Wasaga Beach area in Septemeber? Obviously you would bring along your cookbook so we can support sales of it.
If it interests you – let’s get in touch?
PS – since you want to get everything fresh for your body & your recipes, have you ever been introduced to the Tower Garden aeroponic growing syste? Grow fresh, organic produce on your own back porch or patio & pick vine-ripened. Lettuces & herbs grow in 4-6 weeks & year-round growing is possible! check out my site as it is what helps me reduce my cravings & eat healthy.
Looking forward to the possibilities