It’s Not You, It’s Me + Iced Mocha Green Monster Smoothie

book 5619   It’s Not You, It’s Me + Iced Mocha Green Monster Smoothie

I feel so scattered right now. Please forgive me for being away so much lately! The longer I’m pulled away from the blog, the harder it is to sit down and write something meaningful. I don’t know why, but nothing feels right lately. There’s so much on my mind and so much to say, but I just draw a blank when I finally sit down to type. I’ve written 3 draft posts recently and scrapped each one of them. Eric, the stater-of-the-obvious, looks at me and says, “Well, why don’t you write about how you’re having a hard time writing then?”

I’ve turned into a 90 year old woman who goes upstairs only to forget why she went up the stairs in the first place. This is mildly concerning at my age. The other day, I found a new jar of almond butter in the freezer. Scary. Shifting from cookbook mode to blogging mode has been more challenging than I anticipated and my best work seems to result from the days when I totally step away to saturate myself in one thing. Multitasking can be a double edged sword – trying to do everything at once often gets me nowhere, but when I only focus on one thing I have guilt about the other things I’m leaving behind. To this Eric says, “Well, don’t feel guilty about it then.”

This right here is the difference between men and women.

All of this self-indulging talk today is for me to say: it’s not you, it’s me. This long-distance thing has been a drag and I’m counting down the days until I can run to you and twirl you around in a big bear hug. Until then, I’m doing my best each day and trying to forget about the word balance because sometimes that just doesn’t exist. Let’s be real. The good news is that I finished shooting all 100 photographs for the book. Twenty-five of those photos were shot in the last 7 days alone. Yes, it was insane and no I don’t ever want to do that again.

book 4860   It’s Not You, It’s Me + Iced Mocha Green Monster Smoothie

Currently, I’m knee deep in the editing process which probably won’t let up until August. Even though it’s been a crazy time, I’m so grateful to be able to do the kind of work that makes me feel excited when I get up in the morning. No one said the worthwhile things in life would be easy. I’m trying to be mindful each day and not worry needlessly about the future. These are the moments I will look back on with fondness…even the days when I spill milk all over my photo.

Plus, there’s always coffee.

spilledalmondmilk 105541   It’s Not You, It’s Me + Iced Mocha Green Monster Smoothie

icedmochasmoothie   It’s Not You, It’s Me + Iced Mocha Green Monster Smoothie

Iced Mocha Green Monster Smoothie

This icy drink is a hybrid between an Iced Mocha Coffee and a Green Monster Smoothie. I snuck in a handful of greens, but you can’t taste them one bit.

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 2 servings or 3 cups

Ingredients:

• 1 cup coffee, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 small handful spinach
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 3 large Medjool dates, pitted (or sweetener of choice)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 10 large ice cubes

1. Blend until smooth. Gulp. Cool down. Enjoy summer!

Nutritional Info.

I’ll leave you with one of my photo set-ups (Jared this one is for you!). I was cleaning up yesterday and turned around to catch this angle. I had to laugh at this hot mess. There’s an antique, beat up baking sheet for the background, and old wood slab for the base, and a white board to reflect light coming in from the window. The baking sheet is from a garage sale. The poor lady looked at Eric with great concern and said, “You aren’t going to cook with this are you??” Once she knew it was for photography she was relieved. Oddly, enough the photo turned out quite nicely despite its apparent shortcomings!

angesamosa 6217   It’s Not You, It’s Me + Iced Mocha Green Monster Smoothie

Many of you are asking about the date of my cookbook release and I don’t have an official date yet, but it’s slated to be released early in 2014. My publisher is hoping for a January/February release to kick off the New Year. Yay! I’ll be sure to keep you up to date as soon as I know for sure. As always, thank you for your excitement and support. It means the world to me.

If you’d like to sign up for my cookbook newsletter, you can do so here. I haven’t sent anything out yet, but I hope to send some juicy tidbits as the date gets closer.

st jacobs farmers market 4421   It’s Not You, It’s Me + Iced Mocha Green Monster Smoothie

By the way, happy almost summer! Bring on the fruit and veggies.

Sarah @ Yogi in Action June 18, 2013

I can definitely relate to multitasking being a bad thing sometimes! Occasionally, you just need to focus on one thing until it is done.

I check your blog each and every day, hoping for a post. I will continue to do so, even if your blogging is inconsistent. Your blog posts are always worth the wait.

And I am eagerly awaiting your book! I can’t wait to be able to see the magic you’ve been creating in your kitchen!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh June 18, 2013

I totally empathize! I sat down last night, looked at the Mr and said “I have no idea what to write!” Of course I don’t have an awesome cookbook I’m working on to take my attention away so you get way more of a pass than I do. ;-)

Thanks for showing the photo set up, I love stuff like that. Behind the scenes magic!

Joelle July 2, 2013

No spinach here yet, so we used kale for the coffee smoothie. Not bad. The second time I made it I only used half the ice and put in a bunch of frozen pitted BC cherries. Yum! Thanks for the recipe.

Stacy L. June 18, 2013

Keep up the great work, Angela! You can do it…seriously! One day at a time and strive to enjoy the journey. Funny how I’ve never met you, yet just feel so proud of you for all your great work and success. CAN’T WAIT to get my hands on this cookbook! :)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries June 18, 2013

We miss you around here, but I totally understand! You have a ton on your plate. I’m so excited for you and your cookbook!

Emily - It comes naturally June 18, 2013

Keep your chin up. And on the plus side – it gives us a chance to look back over some of your old posts that we’ve forgotten about or are new to. Take care of yourself! x

Danica June 18, 2013

Funny enough this morning I popped into your website this morning thinking maybe I missed one of your awesome posts! Once I realized I didn’t miss anything I figured…she’s probably so swamped with her book(which I bet is going to be amazing!)

Always remember “you” need to be first and foremost and the people who love your site will always be here waiting for something great to come up!

jo @ including cake June 18, 2013

I know exactly what you mean in terms of balance and multi tasking… i just feel like i’m all over the place at the moment, struggling to find a focus and just want to do too much. People tell me to ‘prioritise’ but it’s just so hard to prioritise when everything seems like a priority!! You’ll get there!

Erica (EricaDHouse.com) June 18, 2013

That spilled milk photo just looks so sad! Hang in there – you are just balling out of control right now and sometimes it can be exhausting :)

Laura Fraser June 23, 2013

YES to balling out of control!

Sarah June 18, 2013

I was wondering where you have been:) The Photos look great! I can’t wait for the cookbook and balance isn’t always possible, so don’t be to hard on yourself:)

Caitlin June 18, 2013

i’ve been feeling the same way lately. sometimes when there is so much going on, it can become very difficult to gather my thoughts and write a cohesive, meaningful post. i scrap a lot of what i write, too. especially lately.

love the behind the scenes pics. i can’t wait for your cookbook!

Michelle June 18, 2013

Those first two photos are gorgeous!!

Tonya June 18, 2013

Why does the promise of coffee make everything better? Something about that warm comforting cup, even in summer!

Glad to see I’m not alone when it comes to scatterbrained-ed-ness while working on major projects with many moving parts. There’s only so much a mind can handle! I find that during those times, we really do have to take a page from the male handbook and just DON’T FEEL GUILTY about the stuff that has to go by the wayside. I know, I know. It is so not natural, but whaddayagonnado? Lose your mind? LOL

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! June 18, 2013

Don’t feel bad Angela! Your absence just makes me that much more excited for your book! Those photos are drool worthy and I hope they’re a tease of whats to come! That sandwich looks fantastic….as does the mocha green monster! Need to try that out….I’ve been looking for a new flavor green monster to make!

Mia June 18, 2013

Dear Angela

I have followed you and the blog for so long that I cannot remember when I first found your homepage. Event though I have never commented before, it has been a real pleasure all the way! So I just wanted to say that I look so very much forward to your cookbook – I live in Denmark but hope to be one of the first ones to get a hold of a copy. You do such a beautiful and inspiring job with your blog and I am very excited to flip through the book.

And I can definitely related to how Eric reacts to your concerns. My boyfriend would say almost exactly the same. ;) And yes, I also think that your readers will always be here to read and comment when you have the time to do a post. I know that I will. :)

Hugs, Mia

Laura June 18, 2013

Love the candid pics of your photo setup! Your photos are absolutley beautiful and it’s so cool to see how you create the scene! I always enjoy seeing the “behind the scenes” of food photos shoots beacuse it a) reminds me that it takes hard work and talent to create those beautiful settings and b) I shouldn’t feel guilty that my kitchen and food never look nearly as good as your pics, haha!! Can’t wait for your cookbook!

Abby @ Change of Pace June 18, 2013

I cannot wait to buy your cookbook! I can’t even imagine all the work that goes into the entire process. It’ll be amazing to see it complete and on shelves everywhere!
Men sure do have an easy way of dealing with problems!
I’ve been a bit scattered lately, too, forgetting words in the middle of talking at work. Not good!

Jennifer June 18, 2013

I’m super excited about your upcoming cookbook publication – I can’t wait to buy it!

No worries about being less chatty than usual – I totally hear you (and the other commenters) about feeling pulled in so many directions and not feeling like much of anything is really accomplished. But look at you – all those photos done! whoot! And you even left us with this tasty recipe. another whoot!

Emma June 18, 2013

Listen to Eric a wise chap you’ve got there Angela! I know it’s tough but you need to give yourself a break, you can’t be superwoman. I think I can speak for a good deal of your blog readers in saying that we’re all eagerly awaiting your cookbook and completely understand that it’s impossible to give the blog the time you’d like right now but will still be here when you get back to more regular blogging :)

Christa @ Edible Balance June 18, 2013

Oh Angela, all is forgiven when you give us incredibly delicious recipes, the promise of an amazing cookbook I cannot WAIT to get my hands on… oh, and most importantly, because we just love you! (I do anyway!) Hang in there darling, your hard work (and the little bit of craziness) is going to take you so far! xoxo

Matthew @ Vegan Thug Life June 18, 2013

I’m not going to lie to you Angela, I had a dream about getting your cookbook for Christmas the other night (surely this is a sign I need to stop thinking about food every minute of everyday). Keep on pushing through but because as you know you’ll look back on this time on think “I did that!”.

Definitely making this smoothie by the way for my boyfriend, he has trouble with the greens but loves coffee so this is a fantastic way to sneak it in! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

hah that’s too funny about your dream. Well, maybe you can pre-order before Xmas? That would be cool if they start coming in around X-mas!

Matthew @ Vegan Thug Life June 18, 2013

I do have very vivid dreams, hahaha.

I would love the cookbook for Christmas! Talk about the perfect present… but ultimately I’m happy to wait as long as it takes for it to come out, I know it’ll be fantastic and totally worth it!

Kathryn June 18, 2013

I’m probably not just speaking for myself when I say it is ok! I miss your frequent posts but I want that book in my hot little hands as soon as I can get it. – Am I right people?

What you are doing is amazing and such a fine achievement – be present and relish in your incredible talent girl!

Is there anything I can do to help you out all the way from California? I’ve got more time on my hands now (cut down on a job I don’t love – inspired by you!) and if there is something I could do please email me.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

That’s so sweet of you to offer – seriously I might take you up on that! Would you be up for testing a couple recipes by chance?

Kathryn June 18, 2013

I would love to! LOVE to.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

Awesome – thank you! I’ll shoot you an email if I need a couple tested again (and probably will, just need to go through the rest).

Jessica June 20, 2013

You can add me to your list of people volunteering to be a tester. And I am SO excited for your book to come out!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 21, 2013

Thanks Jessica! :)

Kathy June 18, 2013

Funny, I was just thinking how impossible it is to try to keep everything going. Multitasking is not working for me and takes the fun out of everything…. Good luck with the editing process and we’ll be here when you get back :) I’m first in line to buy the book. I want that burger.

Lillian @Seize the Latte June 18, 2013

I can sooooo empathize with the plight of multi-tasking! Whenever I try to do it, I wind up flopping — often spectacularly — at everything. Almonds that were supposed to be toasted are burned to the point of being carbonized, sentences are gibberish, and dishes get dropped. Basically, multi-tasking turns me into a hot mess. You’re not alone in that boat!

That said, I totally agree with what Kathryn said above — you have nothing to feel bad about. Seriously. I can’t wait for your cookbook to come out, especially knowing how incredibly hard you’ve worked to make it happen! In the meantime, be kind to yourself and take it easy whenever you can. If that means fewer blog posts, that’s okay — the most important thing is that you take good care of yourself. And, just as Kathryn said, I think everybody would be happy to help out in whatever way possible, so if there are any tasks that can be delegated, don’t hesitate to ask!

Alisha @ Gluten Free Perspective June 18, 2013

I can’t wait until your book release! You will be on the best selling charts before you know it and that is such an awesomely incredible accomplishment. Give yourself a break if you need one!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health June 18, 2013

I love the title of this post, so funny! I can only imagine how hard you have worked on the cookbook in the recent months and how exhausting that can be. It’s totally understandable that you’re feeling drained and it’s okay. Your readers (me!) love what you do and will check back everyday until you post something new. We’ll be here no matter how many times you post because when you do, it is worth it. As an amateur food blogger/photographer, I love reading about your experiences with it as well as seeing your set up. You always make it look so effortless in your photography so it’s kind of cool to see that you spill things too! ;) I can’t wait to see your cookbook, I know it’s going to be gorgeous!

Megan (The Lyons' Share) June 18, 2013

Truly one of the great mysteries of life that men can just LEAVE guilt behind … I’m so jealous of my husband’s ability to do this, too! He can compartmentalize different aspects of his life so well. Anyway, don’t feel guilty at all – you have to do what’s right for you!

maggie June 18, 2013

I’ve been reading you for years now, have never commented, and I have to say that this morning was the first time I tried the overnight oats! It’s a keeper! And I’ve been making those green monster smoothies for years, too, thanks to you! Thanks for the new coffee green monster! And thank you for being so true to yourself here. One last thing…..last summer I read a book about our brains and learned that our brains are not meant to multitask, so don’t feel bad at all!

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green June 18, 2013

I can’t wait to get my hands on your cookbook! Your blog has helped me so much since I went vegan and I can spend hours going through your old posts and stories. I come back every day hoping you posted something new but it is totally understandable that you have been so busy! We appreciate you dropping in with updates!

Ricki June 18, 2013

I have to say, this post brought back the writing/editing/photographing process for me. . . with a bit of a shudder! (and then I smiled, because, you’re so right–in retrospect, it was SO MUCH FUN!).

On another note, though, I’m sorry you’re feeling scattered (welcome to my world). I have no doubt it’s connected to doing too many things at once, and doing them all exceptionally well. But the book will be over eventually, and you’ll be so thrilled to see it in print–as will all of us waiting for it!!

And that Eric. . . wow. Sounds just like the HH. (I guess all guys really ARE the same, right? Or as one of those circulating emails I got once said to describe men: “One mood, all the time.” So true!!). :D

Katie June 18, 2013

I believe that the condition Scatterbrain has no age limit – or at least that’s what I tell myself. When staring at my bike in the morning trying to figure out what I forgot (turned out to be helmet, keys to lock the door, and my coffee mug) I try to remember the simple things. In you case, these things could include:

1) Cookbook = dream. Yes it is at times painful, frustrating, and some days make you want to curl in a ball under the covers and hide, but these ‘features’ make success all the more satisfying.
2) The days are long, but the years are quick. The pain will be over before you know it and your cookbook baby will be more glorious than you ever envisioned.
3) Eric is a smart man. Listen to him.
4) You see a ruined picture. I see pre-dipped chocolate truffles … it’s all about perspective.

If any editing includes recipe testing, I’d be more than happy to lend a helping hand!
Good luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

Very wise words (especially about the dipped truffles. hah) Thanks Katie :)

Tammy Root June 18, 2013

After reading this, all I want to say is that I love ya. That’s all. :)

P.S. I kind of love Eric too and his simplicity.

Dana @ Vanishing Veggie June 18, 2013

Don’t stress! Your blog is amazing and your cookbook will be too. Just focus on the task at hand, and I’m sure it will be great! :)

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat June 18, 2013

I hope things slow down for you soon! Hang in there!

I’m excited for your cookbook and the smoothie sounds great!

Maggie @ Sunnyside Up Smile June 18, 2013

Hey Angela! I’m so happy you’re back! I’ve been checking your blog for new posts every day. I thought you died or something :( No worries about having writer’s block! I’ve been having it lately too…..Whatever you write always turns out great though! I always just start writing and it usually turns into something. I’m so glad you posted this smoothie recipe today! I <3 smoothies and I've been wanting a new recipe to try.

Jared June 18, 2013

Angela, you are a serious hot mess, but I’m glad you made it happen :)
Can’t wait to see more “behind the scenes” shots from OSG HQ, and of course the book!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

LOL…I know you mean that in the best way possible. ;)
Hopefully I can do a whole post on the photography stuff soon. Still want to do that!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

Thanks everyone for your comments – I appreciate them so much! (even those of you who thought I died…bahaha)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 18, 2013

Super excited for your book but I swear this post is exactly why when people ask me if I ever want to write a cookbook my answer is a big fat “HELL TO THE NO”. I feel stressed just reading about your process! haha.
Hope the editing goes a bit better :)

Marielle | Vega in Vianen June 18, 2013

Dear Angela, I think it’s great you feel safe enough here to admit that you are very much human. I know life to be pretty overwhelming from time to time and I’m still learning how to deal with that. Sounds as though you are getting better at the game :) (We probably will never know the rules exactly, but hey…) Keep up the good work, don’t forget about yourself, we can handle fewer blogs much better than you losing your sanity.

Mel June 18, 2013

I LOVE your site! I am so grateful to the time and energy you put into your recipes, posts and pictures. For me, you are a saving grace as I navigate this new gluten free vegan world. I have found great success duplicating a few of your recipes and I sincerely look forward to trying several more. I’ll admit, it’s been tough learning to do this new way of eating/cooking/grocery shopping, especially for someone who used to be quite a good cook. But thankfully there you are with a wonderful library of delights that make my life and several other peoples lives that much easier!

I look forward to it ALL; the successes and the frustrations makes it all very human and helpful to view and be apart of. Cheers to you and thank you for all that you share!

Hugs,
Mel

Liz June 18, 2013

“This right here is the difference between men and women.”

Ah, truer words were never spoken. Isn’t it so amazing how men can compartmentalize and simplify EVERYTHING to an almost child-like way? It’s most definitely one of their greatest qualities. Women have such a tendency to blow everything out of proportion, making things a much bigger, more dramatic deal than they are. (I can do this with ANYTHING. I feel a little bit like I’m on the debate team because of my ability to stress over ANY topic/situation.) Men sometimes remind me of dogs (and NOT in the awful way that sounds). I just mean that both watch “their women” flit about like crazy people, with confused looks on their faces, not understanding what is going on, all the while wondering when their next meal will be. It’s such a blessing to have them in life, putting things into perspective for us.

PS That spilt milk would have made me curse like a sailor. ;p

Page 1 of 3123»