It’s Not You, It’s Me + Iced Mocha Green Monster Smoothie

book-5619

I feel so scattered right now. Please forgive me for being away so much lately! The longer I’m pulled away from the blog, the harder it is to sit down and write something meaningful. I don’t know why, but nothing feels right lately. There’s so much on my mind and so much to say, but I just draw a blank when I finally sit down to type. I’ve written 3 draft posts recently and scrapped each one of them. Eric, the stater-of-the-obvious, looks at me and says, “Well, why don’t you write about how you’re having a hard time writing then?”

I’ve turned into a 90 year old woman who goes upstairs only to forget why she went up the stairs in the first place. This is mildly concerning at my age. The other day, I found a new jar of almond butter in the freezer. Scary. Shifting from cookbook mode to blogging mode has been more challenging than I anticipated and my best work seems to result from the days when I totally step away to saturate myself in one thing. Multitasking can be a double edged sword – trying to do everything at once often gets me nowhere, but when I only focus on one thing I have guilt about the other things I’m leaving behind. To this Eric says, “Well, don’t feel guilty about it then.”

This right here is the difference between men and women.

All of this self-indulging talk today is for me to say: it’s not you, it’s me. This long-distance thing has been a drag and I’m counting down the days until I can run to you and twirl you around in a big bear hug. Until then, I’m doing my best each day and trying to forget about the word balance because sometimes that just doesn’t exist. Let’s be real. The good news is that I finished shooting all 100 photographs for the book. Twenty-five of those photos were shot in the last 7 days alone. Yes, it was insane and no I don’t ever want to do that again.

book-4860

Currently, I’m knee deep in the editing process which probably won’t let up until August. Even though it’s been a crazy time, I’m so grateful to be able to do the kind of work that makes me feel excited when I get up in the morning. No one said the worthwhile things in life would be easy. I’m trying to be mindful each day and not worry needlessly about the future. These are the moments I will look back on with fondness…even the days when I spill milk all over my photo.

Plus, there’s always coffee.

spilledalmondmilk-105541

icedmochasmoothie

Iced Mocha Green Monster Smoothie

This icy drink is a hybrid between an Iced Mocha Coffee and a Green Monster Smoothie. I snuck in a handful of greens, but you can’t taste them one bit.

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 2 servings or 3 cups

Ingredients:

• 1 cup coffee, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 small handful spinach
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 3 large Medjool dates, pitted (or sweetener of choice)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 10 large ice cubes

1. Blend until smooth. Gulp. Cool down. Enjoy summer!

Nutritional Info.

I’ll leave you with one of my photo set-ups (Jared this one is for you!). I was cleaning up yesterday and turned around to catch this angle. I had to laugh at this hot mess. There’s an antique, beat up baking sheet for the background, and old wood slab for the base, and a white board to reflect light coming in from the window. The baking sheet is from a garage sale. The poor lady looked at Eric with great concern and said, “You aren’t going to cook with this are you??” Once she knew it was for photography she was relieved. Oddly, enough the photo turned out quite nicely despite its apparent shortcomings!

angesamosa-6217

Many of you are asking about the date of my cookbook release and I don’t have an official date yet, but it’s slated to be released early in 2014. My publisher is hoping for a January/February release to kick off the New Year. Yay! I’ll be sure to keep you up to date as soon as I know for sure. As always, thank you for your excitement and support. It means the world to me.

If you’d like to sign up for my cookbook newsletter, you can do so here. I haven’t sent anything out yet, but I hope to send some juicy tidbits as the date gets closer.

st jacob's farmers market-4421

By the way, happy almost summer! Bring on the fruit and veggies.

1 Sarah @ Yogi in Action June 18, 2013

I can definitely relate to multitasking being a bad thing sometimes! Occasionally, you just need to focus on one thing until it is done.

I check your blog each and every day, hoping for a post. I will continue to do so, even if your blogging is inconsistent. Your blog posts are always worth the wait.

And I am eagerly awaiting your book! I can’t wait to be able to see the magic you’ve been creating in your kitchen!

2 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh June 18, 2013

I totally empathize! I sat down last night, looked at the Mr and said “I have no idea what to write!” Of course I don’t have an awesome cookbook I’m working on to take my attention away so you get way more of a pass than I do. ;-)

Thanks for showing the photo set up, I love stuff like that. Behind the scenes magic!

3 Joelle July 2, 2013

No spinach here yet, so we used kale for the coffee smoothie. Not bad. The second time I made it I only used half the ice and put in a bunch of frozen pitted BC cherries. Yum! Thanks for the recipe.

4 Stacy L. June 18, 2013

Keep up the great work, Angela! You can do it…seriously! One day at a time and strive to enjoy the journey. Funny how I’ve never met you, yet just feel so proud of you for all your great work and success. CAN’T WAIT to get my hands on this cookbook! :)

5 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries June 18, 2013

We miss you around here, but I totally understand! You have a ton on your plate. I’m so excited for you and your cookbook!

6 Emily - It comes naturally June 18, 2013

Keep your chin up. And on the plus side – it gives us a chance to look back over some of your old posts that we’ve forgotten about or are new to. Take care of yourself! x

7 Danica June 18, 2013

Funny enough this morning I popped into your website this morning thinking maybe I missed one of your awesome posts! Once I realized I didn’t miss anything I figured…she’s probably so swamped with her book(which I bet is going to be amazing!)

Always remember “you” need to be first and foremost and the people who love your site will always be here waiting for something great to come up!

8 jo @ including cake June 18, 2013

I know exactly what you mean in terms of balance and multi tasking… i just feel like i’m all over the place at the moment, struggling to find a focus and just want to do too much. People tell me to ‘prioritise’ but it’s just so hard to prioritise when everything seems like a priority!! You’ll get there!

9 Erica (EricaDHouse.com) June 18, 2013

That spilled milk photo just looks so sad! Hang in there – you are just balling out of control right now and sometimes it can be exhausting :)

10 Laura Fraser June 23, 2013

YES to balling out of control!

11 Sarah June 18, 2013

I was wondering where you have been:) The Photos look great! I can’t wait for the cookbook and balance isn’t always possible, so don’t be to hard on yourself:)

12 Caitlin June 18, 2013

i’ve been feeling the same way lately. sometimes when there is so much going on, it can become very difficult to gather my thoughts and write a cohesive, meaningful post. i scrap a lot of what i write, too. especially lately.

love the behind the scenes pics. i can’t wait for your cookbook!

13 Michelle June 18, 2013

Those first two photos are gorgeous!!

14 Tonya June 18, 2013

Why does the promise of coffee make everything better? Something about that warm comforting cup, even in summer!

Glad to see I’m not alone when it comes to scatterbrained-ed-ness while working on major projects with many moving parts. There’s only so much a mind can handle! I find that during those times, we really do have to take a page from the male handbook and just DON’T FEEL GUILTY about the stuff that has to go by the wayside. I know, I know. It is so not natural, but whaddayagonnado? Lose your mind? LOL

15 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! June 18, 2013

Don’t feel bad Angela! Your absence just makes me that much more excited for your book! Those photos are drool worthy and I hope they’re a tease of whats to come! That sandwich looks fantastic….as does the mocha green monster! Need to try that out….I’ve been looking for a new flavor green monster to make!

16 Mia June 18, 2013

Dear Angela

I have followed you and the blog for so long that I cannot remember when I first found your homepage. Event though I have never commented before, it has been a real pleasure all the way! So I just wanted to say that I look so very much forward to your cookbook – I live in Denmark but hope to be one of the first ones to get a hold of a copy. You do such a beautiful and inspiring job with your blog and I am very excited to flip through the book.

And I can definitely related to how Eric reacts to your concerns. My boyfriend would say almost exactly the same. ;) And yes, I also think that your readers will always be here to read and comment when you have the time to do a post. I know that I will. :)

Hugs, Mia

17 Laura June 18, 2013

Love the candid pics of your photo setup! Your photos are absolutley beautiful and it’s so cool to see how you create the scene! I always enjoy seeing the “behind the scenes” of food photos shoots beacuse it a) reminds me that it takes hard work and talent to create those beautiful settings and b) I shouldn’t feel guilty that my kitchen and food never look nearly as good as your pics, haha!! Can’t wait for your cookbook!

18 Abby @ Change of Pace June 18, 2013

I cannot wait to buy your cookbook! I can’t even imagine all the work that goes into the entire process. It’ll be amazing to see it complete and on shelves everywhere!
Men sure do have an easy way of dealing with problems!
I’ve been a bit scattered lately, too, forgetting words in the middle of talking at work. Not good!

19 Jennifer June 18, 2013

I’m super excited about your upcoming cookbook publication – I can’t wait to buy it!

No worries about being less chatty than usual – I totally hear you (and the other commenters) about feeling pulled in so many directions and not feeling like much of anything is really accomplished. But look at you – all those photos done! whoot! And you even left us with this tasty recipe. another whoot!

20 Emma June 18, 2013

Listen to Eric a wise chap you’ve got there Angela! I know it’s tough but you need to give yourself a break, you can’t be superwoman. I think I can speak for a good deal of your blog readers in saying that we’re all eagerly awaiting your cookbook and completely understand that it’s impossible to give the blog the time you’d like right now but will still be here when you get back to more regular blogging :)

21 Christa @ Edible Balance June 18, 2013

Oh Angela, all is forgiven when you give us incredibly delicious recipes, the promise of an amazing cookbook I cannot WAIT to get my hands on… oh, and most importantly, because we just love you! (I do anyway!) Hang in there darling, your hard work (and the little bit of craziness) is going to take you so far! xoxo

22 Matthew @ Vegan Thug Life June 18, 2013

I’m not going to lie to you Angela, I had a dream about getting your cookbook for Christmas the other night (surely this is a sign I need to stop thinking about food every minute of everyday). Keep on pushing through but because as you know you’ll look back on this time on think “I did that!”.

Definitely making this smoothie by the way for my boyfriend, he has trouble with the greens but loves coffee so this is a fantastic way to sneak it in! :)

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

hah that’s too funny about your dream. Well, maybe you can pre-order before Xmas? That would be cool if they start coming in around X-mas!

24 Matthew @ Vegan Thug Life June 18, 2013

I do have very vivid dreams, hahaha.

I would love the cookbook for Christmas! Talk about the perfect present… but ultimately I’m happy to wait as long as it takes for it to come out, I know it’ll be fantastic and totally worth it!

25 Kathryn June 18, 2013

I’m probably not just speaking for myself when I say it is ok! I miss your frequent posts but I want that book in my hot little hands as soon as I can get it. – Am I right people?

What you are doing is amazing and such a fine achievement – be present and relish in your incredible talent girl!

Is there anything I can do to help you out all the way from California? I’ve got more time on my hands now (cut down on a job I don’t love – inspired by you!) and if there is something I could do please email me.

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

That’s so sweet of you to offer – seriously I might take you up on that! Would you be up for testing a couple recipes by chance?

27 Kathryn June 18, 2013

I would love to! LOVE to.

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

Awesome – thank you! I’ll shoot you an email if I need a couple tested again (and probably will, just need to go through the rest).

29 Jessica June 20, 2013

You can add me to your list of people volunteering to be a tester. And I am SO excited for your book to come out!

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 21, 2013

Thanks Jessica! :)

31 Kathy June 18, 2013

Funny, I was just thinking how impossible it is to try to keep everything going. Multitasking is not working for me and takes the fun out of everything…. Good luck with the editing process and we’ll be here when you get back :) I’m first in line to buy the book. I want that burger.

32 Lillian @Seize the Latte June 18, 2013

I can sooooo empathize with the plight of multi-tasking! Whenever I try to do it, I wind up flopping — often spectacularly — at everything. Almonds that were supposed to be toasted are burned to the point of being carbonized, sentences are gibberish, and dishes get dropped. Basically, multi-tasking turns me into a hot mess. You’re not alone in that boat!

That said, I totally agree with what Kathryn said above — you have nothing to feel bad about. Seriously. I can’t wait for your cookbook to come out, especially knowing how incredibly hard you’ve worked to make it happen! In the meantime, be kind to yourself and take it easy whenever you can. If that means fewer blog posts, that’s okay — the most important thing is that you take good care of yourself. And, just as Kathryn said, I think everybody would be happy to help out in whatever way possible, so if there are any tasks that can be delegated, don’t hesitate to ask!

33 Alisha @ Gluten Free Perspective June 18, 2013

I can’t wait until your book release! You will be on the best selling charts before you know it and that is such an awesomely incredible accomplishment. Give yourself a break if you need one!

34 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health June 18, 2013

I love the title of this post, so funny! I can only imagine how hard you have worked on the cookbook in the recent months and how exhausting that can be. It’s totally understandable that you’re feeling drained and it’s okay. Your readers (me!) love what you do and will check back everyday until you post something new. We’ll be here no matter how many times you post because when you do, it is worth it. As an amateur food blogger/photographer, I love reading about your experiences with it as well as seeing your set up. You always make it look so effortless in your photography so it’s kind of cool to see that you spill things too! ;) I can’t wait to see your cookbook, I know it’s going to be gorgeous!

35 Megan (The Lyons' Share) June 18, 2013

Truly one of the great mysteries of life that men can just LEAVE guilt behind … I’m so jealous of my husband’s ability to do this, too! He can compartmentalize different aspects of his life so well. Anyway, don’t feel guilty at all – you have to do what’s right for you!

36 maggie June 18, 2013

I’ve been reading you for years now, have never commented, and I have to say that this morning was the first time I tried the overnight oats! It’s a keeper! And I’ve been making those green monster smoothies for years, too, thanks to you! Thanks for the new coffee green monster! And thank you for being so true to yourself here. One last thing…..last summer I read a book about our brains and learned that our brains are not meant to multitask, so don’t feel bad at all!

37 Christine @ Gotta Eat Green June 18, 2013

I can’t wait to get my hands on your cookbook! Your blog has helped me so much since I went vegan and I can spend hours going through your old posts and stories. I come back every day hoping you posted something new but it is totally understandable that you have been so busy! We appreciate you dropping in with updates!

38 Ricki June 18, 2013

I have to say, this post brought back the writing/editing/photographing process for me. . . with a bit of a shudder! (and then I smiled, because, you’re so right–in retrospect, it was SO MUCH FUN!).

On another note, though, I’m sorry you’re feeling scattered (welcome to my world). I have no doubt it’s connected to doing too many things at once, and doing them all exceptionally well. But the book will be over eventually, and you’ll be so thrilled to see it in print–as will all of us waiting for it!!

And that Eric. . . wow. Sounds just like the HH. (I guess all guys really ARE the same, right? Or as one of those circulating emails I got once said to describe men: “One mood, all the time.” So true!!). :D

39 Katie June 18, 2013

I believe that the condition Scatterbrain has no age limit – or at least that’s what I tell myself. When staring at my bike in the morning trying to figure out what I forgot (turned out to be helmet, keys to lock the door, and my coffee mug) I try to remember the simple things. In you case, these things could include:

1) Cookbook = dream. Yes it is at times painful, frustrating, and some days make you want to curl in a ball under the covers and hide, but these ‘features’ make success all the more satisfying.
2) The days are long, but the years are quick. The pain will be over before you know it and your cookbook baby will be more glorious than you ever envisioned.
3) Eric is a smart man. Listen to him.
4) You see a ruined picture. I see pre-dipped chocolate truffles … it’s all about perspective.

If any editing includes recipe testing, I’d be more than happy to lend a helping hand!
Good luck!

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

Very wise words (especially about the dipped truffles. hah) Thanks Katie :)

41 Tammy Root June 18, 2013

After reading this, all I want to say is that I love ya. That’s all. :)

P.S. I kind of love Eric too and his simplicity.

42 Dana @ Vanishing Veggie June 18, 2013

Don’t stress! Your blog is amazing and your cookbook will be too. Just focus on the task at hand, and I’m sure it will be great! :)

43 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat June 18, 2013

I hope things slow down for you soon! Hang in there!

I’m excited for your cookbook and the smoothie sounds great!

44 Maggie @ Sunnyside Up Smile June 18, 2013

Hey Angela! I’m so happy you’re back! I’ve been checking your blog for new posts every day. I thought you died or something :( No worries about having writer’s block! I’ve been having it lately too…..Whatever you write always turns out great though! I always just start writing and it usually turns into something. I’m so glad you posted this smoothie recipe today! I <3 smoothies and I've been wanting a new recipe to try.

45 Jared June 18, 2013

Angela, you are a serious hot mess, but I’m glad you made it happen :)
Can’t wait to see more “behind the scenes” shots from OSG HQ, and of course the book!

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

LOL…I know you mean that in the best way possible. ;)
Hopefully I can do a whole post on the photography stuff soon. Still want to do that!

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

Thanks everyone for your comments – I appreciate them so much! (even those of you who thought I died…bahaha)

48 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 18, 2013

Super excited for your book but I swear this post is exactly why when people ask me if I ever want to write a cookbook my answer is a big fat “HELL TO THE NO”. I feel stressed just reading about your process! haha.
Hope the editing goes a bit better :)

49 Marielle | Vega in Vianen June 18, 2013

Dear Angela, I think it’s great you feel safe enough here to admit that you are very much human. I know life to be pretty overwhelming from time to time and I’m still learning how to deal with that. Sounds as though you are getting better at the game :) (We probably will never know the rules exactly, but hey…) Keep up the good work, don’t forget about yourself, we can handle fewer blogs much better than you losing your sanity.

50 Mel June 18, 2013

I LOVE your site! I am so grateful to the time and energy you put into your recipes, posts and pictures. For me, you are a saving grace as I navigate this new gluten free vegan world. I have found great success duplicating a few of your recipes and I sincerely look forward to trying several more. I’ll admit, it’s been tough learning to do this new way of eating/cooking/grocery shopping, especially for someone who used to be quite a good cook. But thankfully there you are with a wonderful library of delights that make my life and several other peoples lives that much easier!

I look forward to it ALL; the successes and the frustrations makes it all very human and helpful to view and be apart of. Cheers to you and thank you for all that you share!

Hugs,
Mel

51 Liz June 18, 2013

“This right here is the difference between men and women.”

Ah, truer words were never spoken. Isn’t it so amazing how men can compartmentalize and simplify EVERYTHING to an almost child-like way? It’s most definitely one of their greatest qualities. Women have such a tendency to blow everything out of proportion, making things a much bigger, more dramatic deal than they are. (I can do this with ANYTHING. I feel a little bit like I’m on the debate team because of my ability to stress over ANY topic/situation.) Men sometimes remind me of dogs (and NOT in the awful way that sounds). I just mean that both watch “their women” flit about like crazy people, with confused looks on their faces, not understanding what is going on, all the while wondering when their next meal will be. It’s such a blessing to have them in life, putting things into perspective for us.

PS That spilt milk would have made me curse like a sailor. ;p

52 Jenni June 18, 2013

Ah, stop worrying about those ninety-year-old woman tendencies. They happen to everyone! I’m glad you’re back in the blog world again. I’ve missed seeing your beautiful recipes! This smoothie sounds awesome, except for the fact that I don’t drink caffeine anymore. Maybe I could sub roasted dandelion root tea. Though not as strong as coffee, it has a rich earthy flavor. I think it would work well here for anyone who doesn’t drink coffee!

53 Stacy June 18, 2013

You are doing so much right now! Thinking of you and praying for you often during this tough season!

54 Olivia June 18, 2013

I already intend to buy your book, but if I hadn’t, that burger sure would’ve changed my mind!!!! Please tell me that’s in the book!! And hang in there, it’ll be great, just take things one day at a time!

55 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar June 18, 2013

Happy you’re back! And with a beauty of a recipe. Love the sound of this!

56 McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped June 18, 2013

I love you added this recipe, I just made a green coffee smoothie this past weekend and it was delicious, I’ll have to try your version! Really excited for your book, the photography is great as well :)

57 Carina June 18, 2013

Hi Angela! Your talk of multi-tasking and trying to balance multiple things reminded me of a quote from Eat, Pray, Love! The quote said “Sometimes to lose balance for love is part of living a balanced life.” So no worries – by feeling unbalanced you are in fact balanced!

Also, I am very jealous of your beautiful Vitamix blender! I have been eyeing one up for quite some time now! How fitting that my blender just recently burned out (it wasn’t a high quality blender) and you post a delicious sounding smoothie! Funny how things work out sometimes lol.

Looking forward to the book!

Carina

58 Africanaussie June 18, 2013

Oh wow that burger photo is awesome – I could eat it right off the page. If the book that kind of photo all the way through I can see why it is keeping you busy. Lovely recipe cool and yet nourishing at the same time…

59 char eats greens June 18, 2013

Tyler’s told me things like that before – “well then just don’t do that.” Ahhh, I wish it were that simple!! You are loved even when you’re gone – especially when you throw in some crazy cool recipes like this one ;)

60 Sarah L. June 18, 2013

Hang in there girl! No sense feeling guilty, you are only human and your realness is what brings us readers to this blog every time we see a new post. You’re awesome. :)

I would love to buy you (and Eric, because he’s so wise, haha) a drink at Gingermans on Kerr sometime. I’m very much looking forward to your book, too!!

61 Averie @ Averie Cooks June 18, 2013

Your life is my life right now. I am doing it all over, again. Two in two years. This MS is due 9/1 and my kitchen every DAY is what you just described and your photo shoot set up, I have a baking tray used just like that as a backdrop. Today I used it for both the backdrop of a martini…and…a coffee cake. I have so many recipes in my head (and strewn all over my kitchen!) for both blog and book. And it’s just…insanity. I can relate to everything you wrote and just remember the BEST feeling in the world is when you turn in the MS. Life starts again :)

I cannot believe you shot 25 things in 7 days. That’s 3-4 a day, every day. The cooking. The FOOD. The surplus and excess. I bet your neighborhood was well, well fed.

Hang in there. You are so close. And that burger shot is STUNNING!

62 jodye @ chocolate & chou fleur June 18, 2013

The smoothie sounds fantastic! I’d have trouble keeping myself from guzzling the whole thing at once though… I’m so excited for the cookbook to come out!

63 Alina June 18, 2013

I think your cookbook is going tobe great, and I’m excited for it! By the way, I think the recipe on the spilt milk photo, and the photo itself, looks great!

64 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 18, 2013

Aw I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling a little all over the place Ange, but I can definitely empathize with you because I’ve certainly felt that way. I can only imagine how stressful this whole book writing process has been, but if the photos in this post are any indication, I know it’s going to be absolutely brilliant. Let me know if there’s anything in the meantime I can do to help. I’ll happily make the drive out to see you! And PS. I can practically hear Eric’s voice saying these things that you’ve written in the post! They’re very ‘Eric’ comments!

65 Ashley June 18, 2013

Major hugs girl. And I can totally relate about the multitasking but I have yet to give in and focus on one thing. Needs. To. Happen. xoxo

66 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 18, 2013

I miss you and your blog posts … and I also miss your Glo Bars like crazzzzzzy … but it will all be worth it in the end! I hope you come back to regular, personal blogging when the book is done :-) All the best!

67 Lindsay @ VeganYumminess June 18, 2013

Eric’s comments crack me up. What a man. They all say the same things, don’t they? LOL! Sounds just like my hubby. I can’t wait for your cookbook to come out, Angela. It’s going to be a masterpiece, I’m sure. :) You are an inspiration.

68 Chelsea June 19, 2013

I’m so excited for your book! I work in a library, and every once in a while I get to run programs on veg*n nutrition for teens. I’ve recommended your blog each time, but it would be awesome if they could check out your cookbook. Will you let us know when you get the title and ISBN so I can put a purchase request in for the library? (Not that I won’t be buying my own copy.)

69 Cara's Healthy Cravings June 19, 2013

You must be exhausted! As someone who works assisting food stylists on set, I know that any day where you are shooting more than 6 shots is a VERY busy day! Hopefully you are able to see the light at the end…keep going strong, it will be worth it!

70 Cricket desmarais June 19, 2013

Be easy on yrself! You are in mass creation mode :) – that’s a lot of heart, soul & plain ol big energy to account for. & maybe changing the template of what you offer in your post to help it feel less overwhelming can help- sometimes a picture or a couple of sentences can be perfect, too.

You offerings are beautiful & I, too, look toward to your cookbook.

Congratulations on all your delicious & beautiful amazingness. Xo

71 Cricket desmarais June 19, 2013

(Changing template meaning just for the times when you feel the way you are currently feeling… Everything is perfect already & I can see why you want to always put out what you do!!!) xo

72 Bonnie June 19, 2013

Thanks again for another delightful recipe Angela. One thing we’re asked in our caregiver support group is: “What have you done for yourself lately?” Tell your readers you’re going to and then take a month or two off from blogging and spend some time with that insightful, supportive husband of yours and fine-tune. From the comments you have a wonderful support group and we’ll still be here when the cookbook (which I will pre-order as soon as it’s available) details are dealt with.

73 thelittleloaf June 19, 2013

Sounds like you’ve been crazy busy but that it’s totally been worth it. The cookbook is going to be fab! I’m a recent follower of your blog and so many wonderful recipes to try!

74 Lauren June 19, 2013

I am an editor and I’ve worked on another vegan cookbook before, so if you need any extra support on a paid or unpaid basis I’d be more than happy to help out with the book!

75 Karen June 19, 2013

Every time I make one of my favorities of your recipes or recipes inspired by you, I think to myself “I hope Ange includes this in her cookbook!” Such was the case yesterday when I made/devoured that white bean hummus-like” spread/dip that you posted last (?) summer (with basil, lemon, nooch.) SO good!

On another note, did you ever find/create that sign for your kitchen to remind yourself to “Cook Inspired?” Since you posted that idea borrowed from Millenium, it’s been stuck in my mind. Now, I want one too! Would you mind sharing your resources if you’ve designed or commissioned one for your kitchen?

Take it easy, Ange…don’t worry re. us – we know what you are up to and are rooting you on from the sidelines:) Can’t wait for the book!

76 Brittani June 19, 2013

You’re so sweet! We all have times like those – times when it feels like you’re wheels are sprinning and the harder you work that more it seems you backpedal. I can’t wait for your cookbook and know it’s going to be a masterpiece!

77 Kim June 19, 2013

Angela,

Keep up the fabulous work darling, we all have moments where the balance is off but it comes back and we appreciate it all the more when it does.

I have been following you for 4 years now (I am British living in Saudi) and you have given me so much pleasure and you have taught me so much, just wanted to say thank you for doing what you do, you are my inspiration to live a better life.

So looking forward to the book coming out.

Sending lots of good thoughts to you.
Kindest regards
Kim

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2013

Thank you Kim, that means so much to me! I can’t believe you’ve been reading for so long. How cool. Thanks for sticking with me!

79 She Rocks Fitness June 19, 2013

I LOVE adding coffee to my smoothies during summer, especially when it is flavored one. It gives the smoothie the perfect punch. ;) I hope that things start to unwind a little bit for you. Take one day at time, breathe deeply, and try to enjoy the moment!

80 sylvia June 19, 2013

Oh sweetie… just wait until you have kids and there is no end in sight.

For what its worth, this cookbook is something I am bursting at the seams to get my hands on! And you know what else? I am not vegan or even vegetarian AND I don’t buy cookbooks because I can find everything on the internet for free… which is how I found your blog to begin with!

81 NMichael June 19, 2013

Angela

I love your honesty! We can do it all, just not at once!

Funnily, I was thinking this morning – could I combine coffee and kale? Your smoothie read my mind.

Natalie

82 Kim June 19, 2013

Sometimes when we are in the thick of things, we can lose sight of just how marvellous we are. Your blog has been such an inspiration to me – your recipes and photography are phenomenal. So keep your chin up, honey! You are knockin’ it out of the park!

83 Pixie June 19, 2013

You are being too hard on yourself! We’ll be here when you recover. :) That’s the great thing about being able to sign up for e-mail notices for new posts. We don’t have to stress over when a new one might pop up. When it arrives, it arrives.

Since I started a new job, my blog has suffered beyond belief. I’m lucky to get supper on the table, let alone think about creating something new and taking a good picture of it for posting! I can’t imagine preparing enough things to take 25 innovative pictures of them in one day. Mercy. No wonder you are toasted. Go – put your feet up, drink a monster green smoothie (you need the magnesium in the greens to combat the stress you are under), and do something relaxing (read, watch TV, knit/crochet, stare mindlessly out the window….) Anybody who doesn’t understand doesn’t deserve your attention.

84 Megan June 19, 2013

You are doing a great job. Keep up the good work. We have all been there and when you are in it is seems like there is no light at the end of the tunnel, but there is and you will get there. And on a different note, is there a recipe for those bars on the top of the post online? Those look wonderful and I would love to make them for an upcoming trip we are taking. Take a deep breath when you can and enjoy what you have (when you can). :)

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2013

Thank you Megan!
The recipe for my Glo bars will be in my book – two of them to be exact! Thanks for your kind words.

86 Suzanne June 19, 2013

As always, I love your post Angela; I commend you for being so open with your readers. Please don’t feel like you are letting your readers down by having this ‘blogging blip’; we love you no matter what!

As someone who also also struggled with disordered eating and anxiety, I know that stressful times often precipitate relapses. I hope that this isn’t the case for you, but if it is I know you have a great support system to fall back on. Keep calm and carry on!

Also, I would be more than happy to help out with the cookbook in any way, shape, or form. Recipe testing, taste testing, (personal coffee-fetcher… ok maybe not :P) you name it!

You inspire me so much (I’ve recently started a blog- it’s SO FUN!) and have truly impacted my life for the better.

Peace&love
-Suzanne

87 Amy June 19, 2013

Good luck! We’re rooting for you!

88 Emily @ Tips on Healthy Living June 19, 2013

Great recipe to keep you focused–good luck with everything!

89 Jessica @ conveganence June 19, 2013

Whoa, 25 recipes photographed in 7 days? I cannot even imagine. The kitchen clean up must have been fun this past week :) Anyway, I will be ordering your cookbook as soon as it becomes available. And that iced mocha green monster smoothie is just what I need today. Thanks for posting, even though you’re super swamped. Hope you get a much deserved break SOON!

90 Mary June 19, 2013

HOLY CRAP THAT BURGER LOOKS AMAZING.

I make more of your recipes than any other vegan blog I have found. I adore your vegan lasagna with basil cashew cheeze, I just made your vegan broccoli cheeze soup, and your pumpkin mac n’ cheeze is a winter staple for me. I also love all of your grain salads, SO refreshing and good for summer. I cannot wait to buy your cookbook, your food is amazing!!!

91 Susan June 19, 2013

I miss your blogging and recipes for sure but it’s totally worth some short term pain for what will surely be an amazing cookbook. Also, as someone pointed out above- it gives us a chance to review previous posts and try out those amazing recipes I wanted to try but forgot all about.

92 Court Star @ StarSystemz June 19, 2013

I am SO excited for your cookbook, that monster smoothie recipe sounds AMAZING! I always add some caffeine whether it be green tea or black coffee to my smoothies for a little ZINNGG! Sending you lots of fun times editing!! Love + Shine CourtStar

93 Jolijn June 20, 2013

Hi Angela!

Just made this shake this morning with my stephmom and it was soo delicious. We both loved it and having so much energy now :) Thanks for the recipe and good luck with your book. You are great.

Jolijn

94 Amy June 20, 2013

I’m stoked for your cookbook too! You are amazing!

95 Emer June 20, 2013

Angela, I love pretty much everything about your blog and your food. But I believe the thing that really sets you apart above all else, that shines through always, is your exceptional energy, passion and enthusiasm. You’ve gone and set that bar so high girl ;-) You go missing for 5 minutes and we’re like, “hey, what’s going on, where’d she go?” Keep on keeping on. We’re not going anywhere x

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 20, 2013

You are so sweet, thank you! It’s funny – I’ve felt anything but energetic over the past several months, but I can feel it coming back now that I’m getting over the hump. Thanks for reading :)

97 Duze June 20, 2013

Love your blog! I remember your allergy post and your description of scatter brain today reminds me of my old mental fog days when I still ate gluten…sometimes that can be a sign of gluten intolerance or celiac…my gluten intolerant colleague also had the same issue until she went totally glutenfree…damn you gluten!

98 Jill June 20, 2013

This is one of the best websites/blogs I have come across in ages! I cannot stop reading….. You are inspiring! Thank you…. and can’t wait to try out the recipes. Don’t even know where to start :)

99 chrissy joy June 20, 2013

what are those bars in the photo?? my mouth is watering just looking at them!!!

100 Molly June 20, 2013

Lovely post – thanks for checking in!

101 Richele June 20, 2013

I quite enjoy reading your blog :) And i cannot wait to try the smoothie!

102 Shelly June 20, 2013

Just wanted to say what all the others are saying…miss your posts but don’t beat yourself up…take a breath and focus on your book because we’re all so excited to get it:) I love the one comment about going back and looking at old posts…there’s a wealth of wisdom to look through! Take care and thanks for checking in!

103 Suzanne June 20, 2013

I too can relate to the memory loss/multitasking issues…they say that multitasking is not good for the brain – it is not how we are wired.. so no wonder we struggle with it so! Unfortunately life in the 21st century seems to require it. And you nailed it on the men/women thing…sounds like me and my hubby!

Went strawberry picking – all set to make your strawberry oat bars which is one of our all time favorites! Cannot wait for the book – so many more good recipes to look forward to :)

Relax and focus on whatever you need to each day…we will be here whenever blogging is part of your day!

104 Hannah June 20, 2013

So proud of you dear heart. For getting the photos done, for taking a step back to focus on it, for listening to Eric (if only it were easy to simply “not feel guilty”, my life would’ve been much smoother sailing these past ten years) but, most of all, for writing the truth of your heart, just like we talked about.

Sending some of those great big squeezy hugs now, in advance, just in case you need one.

105 Emily (Dish on the Run) June 20, 2013

We miss you too but it’s wonderful to hear what you’re up to. I can’t imagine doing a blog and cookbook. You are such an inspiration and I know your cookbook will be worth the wait!!!

106 Kristi June 20, 2013

I love the idea of a coffee/green smoothie.

107 Sarah B June 20, 2013

I totally have those 90 year old lady moments. I march into a room and stand there slack jawed wondering why I came in, or I do something stupid like I did this morning and pour coffee all over my oatmeal. Yup. Your Classic VOO with blueberries and coffee in one bowl. I need a vacation…..

108 Jessica M. June 21, 2013

I tried this Iced Mocha green monster this morning and it was quite good, I’d definitely try it again. I added flax seeds to give it a little extra protein. Thanks! :)

109 Richa June 21, 2013

Wow. thats a load of work sone int he last few days. cant wait for your book Angela!:)
i dont know how you took that extra few seconds to take the picture of the spill :).
all the best for the book and finding the blogging mojo. Have a fun weekend

110 Reba - Not So Perfect Life June 21, 2013

I know what you mean about not being able to focus. Its an everyday struggle for me. I can’t wait to buy your cookbook!

111 Jess June 21, 2013

Hi Angela! Just started reading your blog a few weeks ago and everything I’ve made has been amazing!! Loved your idea for a caffeinated green smoothie – I tried it with adding some left over avocado (minus the dates) and it gave it a creamy frappuccino- like texture! yums! I added more spinach and still couldn’t taste it….though mine did turn out bright green. Looking forward to your cookbook!

112 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2013

Good call on adding avocado :) Thanks for your kind words by the way!

113 Jamie @lifelovelemons June 22, 2013

Love the spilt milk picture :)

114 Lisa C June 22, 2013

Angela, I can soooo sympathize as I help build our website and add images! But I always remind myself that the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time (hah!). Love what you do, but I’m wondering…what’s the burger in the picture??

Keep on doing what you do – you inspire us all to create and to keep it real!

115 Sarah C. June 22, 2013

Hi!!

I was just wondering if the receipe for those delicious looking granola bars (first photo) were available on your website? I’m somewhat new reader to your blog but I love what I’ve seen so far!!

Thanks in advance!!

Sarah

116 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2013

Hey Sarah, They are my Glo Bars (from an online bakery I owned prior) and I will be sharing a couple recipes in my cookbook!

117 Britt @Better Living XoXo June 22, 2013

I could definitely go for one of those iced mocha green monster smoothies right about now!
Great for the weather nowadays

118 Gena June 23, 2013

It’s easy to assume that readers want material that contains conclusions, insights, revelations, and so on. Oftentimes, what readers want (and I speak for myself as one of your readers) is just to hear someone’s thought process. And that’s precisely what you gave us in this post :) Thank you for that, and for being you. No pressure, ever, to manufacture material for your audience. In simply being authentic, you’re sharing the qualities that people love you for!

119 Phalyn @ heythatsvegan June 23, 2013

I just have to tell you that I actually thought the split milk looked perfect! I hope you ended up using it in your shoot!
Also, loving this smoothie! I usually have to down my smoothie, and then my coffee in the morning and now, I know how to do it all at the same time! Talk about multitasking!

120 Susie June 24, 2013

Yum! The Iced Mocha Green Monster Smoothie is awesome! I used the coffee left over in my coffeepot from last night and snuck in a scoop of protein powder. Perfect morning drink!

121 Stephanie L June 24, 2013

I don’t blog, but I spend most days with a list of to do’s that don’t get completely done because I’m so way overextended. I then sit down at the end of the day, log into facebook and it says “what’s on your mind?” oh dear. No one wants to hear that. LOL The mud puddle that is my brain would confuse the bravest of souls. =D You found almond butter, my husband found my work keys. Yes, in the freezer. *sigh* Really looking forward to your cookbook whenever it shall appear. Vegan joy in my heart. Sending you a virtual *hug*. It’s crazy now but you’ll look back with pride at what you created and WE will all get to enjoy your genius for eternity, so thank you!

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2013

Thank you for your lovely sense of humour! That is hilarious about your keys in the freezer….hah. Hugs to you as well!

123 Cate June 24, 2013

Thank you for the iced green monster mocha smoothie. It was amazing! Can’t wait to try your coffee concentrate recipe!!

124 Penny June 27, 2013

I love this smoothie!! I have a feeling that this is going to be my go to iced coffee drink this summer! Thank you!

125 Suzanne June 27, 2013

Hi Angela,
I’m justing starting to make some of your recipes! My nieces follow your website and recipes all the time!
I would like to find the recipe for the bars at the top of this page! they look great! I seems to me there is cranberries, pumpkin seeds, oats…….. No name though!
I’m going out today to shop for the ingredients to make Endurance Crackers. I’ll let you know how they turn out and if I’m successful sneaking them onto the cheese board this weekend!

Suz

126 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 1, 2013

Hey Suz, That recipe is for my Glo Bars from the bakery I ran a couple years back – they will be in my cookbook! :) Thanks for reading & good luck with the crackers.

127 Heather @Gluten-Free Cat July 2, 2013

What a lovely post. I’m new to your blog and just love your photography, recipes, writing, and your honesty. Now that mocha smoothie with spinach? Inspired!! So glad I found you!

Heather

128 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2013

Thank you Heather, you are so sweet! :) off to check out your blog…

129 Kathy July 3, 2013

Oh wow, that iced mocha green monster smoothie is AWESOME. I will be making that on a regular basis from now on! Thank you for another great recipe!

130 Peggy July 4, 2013

The photo of the grain bars with cranberries….where is the recipe??? What name do you have them under? They look wonderful…

131 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2013

Hi Peggy, The recipe will be in my cookbook (it was my bakery granola bar recipe) :)

132 Hil July 4, 2013

Do you have suggestions for alternates to Almond milk in your recipes? (I’m allergic to nuts–boo).

133 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2013

Hi Hil, My advice is to find a non-dairy milk that you like because that’s most important. Almond milk is my fav so thats why I use it in my recipes. You could try oat milk, hemp milk, soy milk, coconut, etc. good luck!

134 Kathy July 7, 2013

I’ve made this yummy iced mocha green monster a few times now, but I always seem to end up with some date ‘sediment’ at the bottom of the Vitamix…anyone else have this? Am I just not blending long enough?

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 7, 2013

that happens to me sometimes too…just keep blending! Or soak the dates beforehand to soften them up. enjoy

136 Kathy July 7, 2013

Soaking them! What a smart idea. I’ll try it. Thank you!

137 sarah@thesweetlife July 14, 2013

I really appreciate this post because I have been feeling the same way. With the things keeping me away from my blog over the last few months (mainly pregnancy) I am finding it SO difficult to get back into it – which makes me just sad.

I took the same approach and just wrote a post about why I’m having a hard time which has turned out much better than all my failed attempts in the kitchen as of late. Honesty about how we are doing is always best, right? It makes me like you more :)

Besides, I can’t imagine how you have managed amidst the craziness of your cookbook photo extravaganza. Take care of yourself, my friend.

138 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 14, 2013

Sarah, How funny that you just left a comment because I just finished reading your latest post! We must be on the same wave length today. Your honesty is so refreshing and I wish you all the best with the rest of your pregnancy. Thanks for your lovely blog!

139 jude July 30, 2013

According to Amazon, the paperbook version came out in March 2013, and the Kindle version is due out end of December. :)

I am tempted to order the paperback just to see what happens. Maybe it’s a magic portal that lets me order books from the future…

140 jude July 30, 2013

Ugh, paperback, not paperbook.

141 Sher September 7, 2013

I *love love love* this blog, Angela. Since I got married almost 7 years ago, I’ve gained 30 lbs and become someone I hardly recognize in so many ways. This website has made me excited about working out and making healthy food; every recipe that I’ve tried here has been amazing and I’ve started to improvise (always hard for me for some reason) with great results. I tried the Green Monster Smoothie this week and it put me in the best mood! The next day, I made one using avocado, kale, flax, banana, almond milk, cocoa, a dash of maple syrup…and, while it sounded pretty risky, it was delicious! So, thank you for being there, for working so hard and inspiring so many of us. You rock!

142 Carly March 4, 2014

I always make this but I never thought to do it with cocoa powder! Def trying this tomorrow!