Random Thoughts on my 30th

065A4730   Random Thoughts on my 30th

Turning 30 shouldn’t feel depressing. After all, I’m entering my 31st year. If there was a time to be depressed it was last year. Don’t get mad at me 29 year olds, I’m only joking. Plus, as my stepdad duly notes, you have two options in life – get older or kick the bucket. Putting it that way, aging isn’t so bad at all. Shouldn’t we instead focus on how amazing it is that we are still living after all these years? That’s a lot of heartbeats!

I planned on writing one of those 20 things I learned in my 20’s posts, but I got to the third lesson and quit. It was like pulling teeth (and this was after I told Eric that thinking of 20 lessons would be “easy”). Maybe I need more time to process the last 10 years…

My best friend Allison always makes me laugh, especially when she reflects on our current age. This year she said, “I don’t know about you but I always think of myself as about 22 (until I meet an actual 22 year old and then I’m like, whoa I’m definitely 30, haha).”

Girl kills me!

065A4780   Random Thoughts on my 30th

Eric and I went on a road trip to the Niagara region on my birthday this past Thursday – for once the weather was hot and sunny! We stopped into the outlets in Buffalo for the morning and I found myself gasping at how short the shorts are “these days”. Were they always that short? Did I ever pull this off? When did I start saying “these days”. Also, who is fitting into these annoying Super Skinny Jeans? As if regular skinny jeans weren’t torture enough. I couldn’t even get some of the jeans half way up my calves. I’m going to start a line of jeans called Runner’s Legz.

Yup, I’m officially in my 30’s. At least, articles like this remind me that I’m not alone in my time warp!

It’s been a great decade though, even in spite of all the self-doubt and uncertainty. Thankfully, I remember the ups much more than the downs. I earned an Undergraduate and Master’s degree, married my best friend, moved a handful of times, traveled a bit, turned a passion into a business, and wrote my first book. I’d love to be able to tell you that I feel like I’ve conquered my inner demons and emotional baggage so I can start my 30’s with a clean slate, but that feels far from the truth. I still feel like there is a lot I need to overcome on a personal level. It’s an ever-evolving process. There are so many unknowns about what the next decade will bring, but I do know that I’m excited for the adventure to continue.

065A4768   Random Thoughts on my 30th

and now it’s time to celebrate!

Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 18, 2013

Happy belated birthday!

Turning 30 is a big milestone; I remember thinking that it was going to freak me out, but instead, I found that I felt profoundly grateful. With age comes experience, wisdom, and — my personal favorite — greater self-knowledge and self-assurance. I feel a whole lot less inclined to apologize for myself (or attempt to be someone I’m not) than I was at 20, and I’d take wrinkles and self-confidence over my youth any day of the week. :)

Here’s to an awesome decade ahead!

Laura May 18, 2013

Happy birthday Angela! This was such a lovely post.
I’m excited for when you will return to regular posting so I can read more of your inspiring words lol. I am also very excited for your cookbook to come out! Hope everything is going well and have a great weekend!

Emily May 18, 2013

Happy belated birthday!
& I think your friend Allison nailed it – that is exactly how I feel, too.
Best wishes for your upcoming decade.

Merel May 18, 2013

Happy Birthday! Is it today? Mine was yesterday (28 years). Have a great day and enjoy the wisdom of getting older! I would never want to go back to being 18 for instance…

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2013

Happy belated birthday! Mine was on Thursday :) Hope you are enjoying your “birthday month” as I call it around here. hah

Philippa May 18, 2013

Happy Birthday! Hope you had a wonderful day. Did you celebrate with a cake? Any delicious recipes? I have a birthday coming up and would like to cook something gluten and dairy free :)
Philippa x

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2013

Hey Philippa, I have a recipe coming up Monday for a 2 ingredient chocolate fudge frosting that I’m pairing with my chocolate cupcakes :)

Jen G. May 18, 2013

Happy birthday! My 30th is a week from today. I’m really looking forward to my thirties — I feel like I’m getting more grounded as the years go along. Plus, my twenties were spent as a broke grad student, so now that I have a real job, the thirties are going to be my decade of travel!

Jillian May 18, 2013

Happy Birthday!! 30 is the best. I say this as a knowing 32 year-old. ;)

Maria May 18, 2013

Congrats lady! I hope you had an awesome day xD

Turning 30 seems like a deadline to me, because then I’ll be OLD and should have lived my 20s like a tornado or something, acomplishing anything that crossed my mind. Not gonna happen, I can tell you! Although I will have obtained a Master of Arts degree, and a job (these days that’s something), and have met a great guy, and have travelled Latin America a lot alone. I bet that when you’re 39 you wish you woudn’t have dreaded it that much! I think that that will cross my mind if I don’t turn around these destructive thoughts of mine :) and that the things I have done in my 20s are good enough. Think I’m getting there already…

Enjoy the weekend! Here in Holland it’s Pentecost weekend and I hope sincerely that the weather will turn around… seems that rain’s all there is these days (wish I’d stayed forever in some Latin country).

xoxo M

Aimee May 18, 2013

Yes indeed when you are 39 you know better than to spend any time wishing you had done things differently. I try to soak up every wonderful moment of life. Sure you have done wonderful things in your 20s, but why can’t you do even more in your 30s. 30 is not old :)

kris May 18, 2013

Hope you had a beautiful birthday!!

Ellen M. Gregg May 18, 2013

Happy birthday, Angela! :-)

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche May 18, 2013

Hahaha I’m only 24 and even I look at 22 year olds and realise that I’m nothing like them! ;) Happy birthday! :)

Mary May 18, 2013

Happy birthday! :o)

On the subject of clothes: if it makes you feel any better, I’m five years younger than you and the lack of length on shorts this season and super skinny jeans both drive me absolutely bonkers! I’m glad that I’m not the only one!

Shady May 18, 2013

Happy belated birthday! I turn 30 in a couple of months and keep waiting for the “OMG I’m no longer in my 20s” fear and loathing to happen and so far it hasn’t. However, I do find myself reflecting a lot on what I did, what I’d still like to do and what direction I want my life to take. And than I realize that so far, I’ve done pretty good and stop being so analytical. Hope you had a wonderful day and wishing you an awesome next year and decade of life!

Suzanne May 18, 2013

Happy Birthday, Angela! Looks like you had a great time. I’m 36 and still feel 26…but I share the same sentiment as your friend Allison. lol.

Aimee May 18, 2013

Happy Birthday Angela! I will buy Runners Legz! I was just griping about the same issue. Do you know they even have skinny jeans for little boys! Ridiculous.

I have to say as I quickly approach 40 I feel nothing but blessed to experience another year. I stumbled on your blog about 3 years ago and thanks to many of your recipes and lots of green monster smoothies I have completely changed my diet. Thanks to the changes I have made in my life I feel better and younger at 39 than I did at 29.

Enjoy your birthday month!

Katrina Ninjarina May 18, 2013

I. would. totally. buy. those. jeans! I honestly can’t believe that there is not a brand of jeans out there for athletic girls. Room in the legs and rear for our awesome muscles and smaller in the waist.

Welcome to the 30 club! I just hit that milestone in March. Though I didn’t give much reflection to it. Perhaps I should.

Lovely post. :)

Vegyogini May 18, 2013

Happy belated birthday, fellow Taurus! May this be an empowering, peaceful, loving year for you.

Sharon May 18, 2013

All the very best wishes for your birthday:) My outlook on age is the same as it is about weight. It’s all how you feel and it’s not about the number!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 18, 2013

Happy Birthday! I’m turning 30 in August…so not looking forward to it!

Miliany Bonet May 18, 2013

Happy Birthday, Angela! You’re a Taurus?! Me, too! My birthday was last Friday (the 10th)! Wish you all the best! Check out my blog, rawveganliving.blogspot.com

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2013

Happy belated! :)

Mary Ann May 18, 2013

Happy, happy birthday Angela! I so enjoy your blog and your take on life and nutrition. As someone who is older than you, please enjoy the moment. I do look back on my thirties as a time of growth and conquering fears. But I do have a tradition that my husband plays along with. I celebrate my birthday for at least a week. I stretch out celebrations with family, friends and coworkers to enjoy this special moment in my life. I would encourage you and everyone else to do the same. As your stepfather said, we do have the alternative.

Alissa May 18, 2013

When I was in my twenties I had a bunch of older female friends in their thirties who consistently told me that the thirties were the best years of their lives. I didn’t believe them, but now, at thirty-three, I’m reading your post, reflecting and realizing that they were indeed correct (so far as I can tell at this point). The last three and a half years have been great. Seriously. I think you’ve got a lot to look forward to :)

Happy Birthday!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2013

I’ve often heard that too – glad to know you agree! :)

Sara May 18, 2013

You look way too young to be worried about anyone guessing you are in your 30′s. Darn, Angela you have aged so well I’m sure you’ll be carded in the states (Canadian’s don’t seem so strict) for the next few decades! Come down here if you want to be reminded how young you are!

HAPPY Birthday!

I’ll be honest I might be more excited for my 30′s than you are.. I’d like to skip the whole next ten years of arguing and straying from the parents, suffering and panicking about making my major “life decisions” (i.e. is this job going to be the rest of my life?; should I stay around to marry him?). I understand that this should be the most exciting part of my life and “these challenges are really going to mold me into the person I’ll become,” but it straight up sucks. So lucky you! Yay! You got through part two of “life” high school.

Shel@PeachyPalate May 18, 2013

Happy belated birthday to the blogger who inspired me to start blogging and helped me through the final stages of recovery from over 12 years of eating disorders. Empowering, beautiful, strong and truly awesome no matter what the age :)

Michele May 18, 2013

Happy belated Birthday!

And LOL on the short shorts. I see them all the time and think…ummm…no.

Aisling May 18, 2013

Happy Birthday Angela. You sound like you’re right where you’re supposed to be. I really enjoyed turning 30 and there’s a certain confidence that comes with it. Enjoy all the celebrations and the fun to come x

Rachel May 18, 2013

Happy Birthday! I loved this post. I am 31 and I can completely identify with everything you said. It is good to know we are not alone in our thinking. Thanks for sharing.

Brenda from TotallyBrenda May 18, 2013

I was always scared of aging-until my 15 year old cousin, 25 year old cousin, and uncles in their 50′s took their last breath. That was a reality check that stopped us all in our tracks.
Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
— UNKNOWN

We are incredibly blessed to be experiencing this journey we call life. Thank you for this post. It was truly inspiring.

Happy Birthday.

Janessa May 18, 2013

Awwwwww Happy Birthday! You are an inspiration, and I so look forward to meeting you next week!!

Holly Waterfall May 18, 2013

Happy Happy Birthday! I love the “i feel like I’m 22 until i hang out with a 22 year old” comment. I completely get that. I also turn 30 years old this year and surprisingly I’m not that scared… except for the fact that I found 2 grey hairs in the past week!! Enjoy this new clean decade!!

Julia May 18, 2013

Yours was the first healthy-eating blog I started reading a few years ago -and over the years you’ve introduced me to so many wonderful foods and a new way of thinking of diet/exercise/mindfulness. For that, I thank you and wish you a very happy birthday!

Lara May 18, 2013

I hope this doesn’t sound creepy, but you’re such a sweetheart and by the way one of my greatest idols (OK it does sound creepy…). A very happy, belated birthday and all the warmest wishes for the next year of your life!
Lara

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 18, 2013

The part you said about feeling 22 until you see one or hang out with one…oh thanks for the major LOL. YES! So true!

Your last paragraph is so honest and so real and thanks for sharing it, Angela! You have done SO MUCH in your life and I know you are always busy, working, striving,and achieving and can’t wait to see what you conquer in your next decade.

Glad that you got to go to Niagra Falls and that it was warm out. That’s perfect :)

Happy Birthday!

Liz May 18, 2013

Happy B-Day. I thought 30 was a great year for myself. That is when the light bulb finally when on for me. :) Obviously you got it together way before then. How your B-Day was a great one. :)

Sara May 18, 2013

Happy Birthday Angela!! The best is yet to come! And yes the shorts are getting shorter every year. It’s like the new cleavage is the ass cheek lol :)

kristle May 18, 2013

enjoy every minute of your birthday, angela, you deserve it! you’re an amazing person and a hard worker, and thats just what i can tell from the little bit i see of you on your blog! and thanks for all the delicious recipes :)

Gypsy May 18, 2013

Happy Birthday! But I saw this and thought “she’s only 30!?!”
You’ve accomplished so much and it’s been so fun reading your blog the last few years!
And yes – please make “runners legz” jeans LOL

Joann @ Woman in Real Life May 18, 2013

The happiest of birthdays to you! I hit 40 a while back and I really CANNOT believe it. That being said, it’s better than the alternative (as your step dad aptly notes). The upside is, we are gaining wisdom and knowledge of self as we age and that’s pretty nice.

I also cannot believe how short the shorts are now! ;)

Jo

Maryz May 18, 2013

I’m 46 and still think I’m 22 too…until I realize my oldest son is 23!! My 20′s were very stressful, my 30′s were awesome and my 40′s are over the top awesome! My last baby is graduating for high school this week! It’s very emotional for me to know that all my babies are grown! But at 46, I’m feeling 22 again because I have all kinds of time on my hands for me and my husband!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Samantha @ Sweetly Striving May 18, 2013

Happy Birthday! Great post- a nice reminder to us all. :)

Page 1 of 3123»