Random Thoughts on my 30th

065A4730

Turning 30 shouldn’t feel depressing. After all, I’m entering my 31st year. If there was a time to be depressed it was last year. Don’t get mad at me 29 year olds, I’m only joking. Plus, as my stepdad duly notes, you have two options in life – get older or kick the bucket. Putting it that way, aging isn’t so bad at all. Shouldn’t we instead focus on how amazing it is that we are still living after all these years? That’s a lot of heartbeats!

I planned on writing one of those 20 things I learned in my 20’s posts, but I got to the third lesson and quit. It was like pulling teeth (and this was after I told Eric that thinking of 20 lessons would be “easy”). Maybe I need more time to process the last 10 years…

My best friend Allison always makes me laugh, especially when she reflects on our current age. This year she said, “I don’t know about you but I always think of myself as about 22 (until I meet an actual 22 year old and then I’m like, whoa I’m definitely 30, haha).”

Girl kills me!

065A4780

Eric and I went on a road trip to the Niagara region on my birthday this past Thursday – for once the weather was hot and sunny! We stopped into the outlets in Buffalo for the morning and I found myself gasping at how short the shorts are “these days”. Were they always that short? Did I ever pull this off? When did I start saying “these days”. Also, who is fitting into these annoying Super Skinny Jeans? As if regular skinny jeans weren’t torture enough. I couldn’t even get some of the jeans half way up my calves. I’m going to start a line of jeans called Runner’s Legz.

Yup, I’m officially in my 30’s. At least, articles like this remind me that I’m not alone in my time warp!

It’s been a great decade though, even in spite of all the self-doubt and uncertainty. Thankfully, I remember the ups much more than the downs. I earned an Undergraduate and Master’s degree, married my best friend, moved a handful of times, traveled a bit, turned a passion into a business, and wrote my first book. I’d love to be able to tell you that I feel like I’ve conquered my inner demons and emotional baggage so I can start my 30’s with a clean slate, but that feels far from the truth. I still feel like there is a lot I need to overcome on a personal level. It’s an ever-evolving process. There are so many unknowns about what the next decade will bring, but I do know that I’m excited for the adventure to continue.

065A4768

and now it’s time to celebrate!

Page 3 of 3«123
Angela July 15, 2013

Happy belated! (really belated.)

I loved turning 30! I felt great. 35 and on, though.. has been a different story. My 35th was a good day in itself, but followed by things that just haven’t let up, including greatly increased insecurities – though I have much less tolerance for BS now. I’m hoping that my attitude will come back to a healthier, happier one re: aging. I’m dreading 40, in a way that I never did with 30.

maria June 4, 2013

Angela, loved your post :)
You should know that you introduced me and all my family to “green monsters” and as a 41 yr old….I had no problem turning 30 or even 40…but 41 was harder. Go figure!
It just gets better, enjoy!

allie June 3, 2013

30 is a big deal..but to me 35 was even more monumental. I became confidant. Somewhat. hahah and it’s life changing to mature that way. To say the heck with everyone else, this is my time. Just this weekend I completed my first triathlon. At 38. And I look forward to many other healthy firsts, because I have the confidence, maturity and general “who cares what you think” attitude now, that I didn’t have in my 20’s. I spent most my 20’s being pregnant, breastfeeding or raising babies. While enjoyable and wouldn’t change it, my 30’s have been life defining. Hard, struggle, lost people, divorce, gained people, found my best friend, but definately a decade of personal growth. Good luck. You’ll love it in your 30’s.

Mallory May 31, 2013

PLEASE make pants for people with Runner’s legs! It absolutely kills me we pants fit so tightly in the calves and thighs, but then are big in the waist! The worst is when activewear/hiking-pants fit that way. DOnt they know that the people who wear their clothes ACTUALLY have muscles??? :)

Anyway yes. Runner’s Legz please. I will be your first customer!

Jaclyn May 29, 2013

I will totally buy your Runner’s Legz jeans WHEN you come out with the line ;) I always have the exact same problem.

PS – Happy Birthday!!

Lisa @ Vitadventure May 27, 2013

Happy Belated-
i’ll be 33 on Sunday and I can tell you that thus far the 30s are the best!!! I had a momentary freak out when I turned 30 and thought I either needed to a: have kids or b: get Botox and go crazy- but I can say that the 30s are when you embrace who you are with radical self acceptance and just get the gift of saying, “this is me, this is my life, I’m here to claim it!”

Lisa May 25, 2013

I’m 43 and think I’m “getting better all the time” (as the song goes….or does that song make me old????) LOVE my 40’s!! 20’s were anxiety ridden, 30’s were my first solid steps and 40’s I finally feel confident and comfortable in my own skin. And yes – physically it’s harder so I have to work out a bit more or eat a bit less to stay the “same” but that’s ok with me. Hope you keep “getting better” too! Enjoy!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 25, 2013

Thank you Lisa, I’m so happy to hear this! :) All my best

Gena May 25, 2013

I’m gearing up to celebrate my 31st, and can so relate to the mixed emotions that come with turning the corner on your twenties. For what it’s worth, I am so much happier now than I was a year ago, or two years ago, and I do think that goals and your sense of self start to crystallize in an incredible way in these years. Cheers to you — and damn straight about the skinny jeans.

Hope May 25, 2013

Happy belated Birthday, Angela! I was at Niagara Falls on the same day and it was breathtaking. I wish I had seen you. Even though you don’t know me, I would’ve totally come up to you and gushed about how much I love your blog and how your recipes have revolutionized the way my husband and I eat. I will be 30 this year too. Thanks for this post!

Kristine May 25, 2013

Happy belated birthday. I do agree, my thirties have been by far the best time of my life.. You’re going to LOVE this decade. Halfway through mine and THIS may be the decade I pine after. But I think 40s might be pretty cool too! Thanks for making a visit to Buffalo for your B-day! We love the company. =)

Susie May 23, 2013

Happy belated birthday.

I’m in my forties. Can’t still believe how fast the years pass by. Turning 30 felt like yesterday. Nowadays I try to live in the moment as much as I can rather that dwelling too much on the past or future.

Cookie and Kate May 22, 2013

Happy belated birthday, Angela! I love your attitude about growing older. It is an ever-evolving process.

Stephanie @ Legally Blinde May 22, 2013

I love this post, Angela – very honest, thoughtful, and relatable. Happy belated birthday!!

Linda Watson May 22, 2013

Happy birthday, you dear young thing! I feel like the frisky granny that embarrasses the kids to post among all the aged twenty-somethings. The great news is that you are just entering one of the sexiest, most adventuresome decades and life can keep getting better, especially for glowing veggies. I’m fifty seven (gasp!) and having a blast! If you pay attention, the older you get, the more you know and the funnier life will seem. You will feel more confident and less self-conscious. For me, this led to feeling sexier and more generous. One of my role models is the gifted and amazing Crescent Dragoonwagon, who makes sixty (sixty!) look the the best time ever. Show off your beautiful skin, enjoy silly things, and have a blissful year.

elizabeth May 21, 2013

I can absolutely relate! I think, “when did I get so old, I don’t feel that old?” And then I meet someone who is 20-24 and I realize, I really AM that old. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Kathryn May 21, 2013

Happy birthday girl! So far I’m loving my 30’s. 31 now and it is all good. I SO identify with what your friend said. I feel so young, until I go to a mall!

What I love about the 30’s so far is I think I make better life choices. I’m more level headed and not such a spaz. I appreciate each day a little more than I used to and I’m moving past (moving – no moved) the need to be wanted, needed, and liked. As long as I like me I think I’ll be ok.

I hope your trip was great! Cheers!

Erica May 21, 2013

Happy (belated) Birthday Angela! My husband and I are trying to make a switch to a predominantly vegan diet and your blog has been such a help to us. Thank you!

katie leigh May 21, 2013

Hah, what your friend said made me laugh out aloud.
Yesterday I felt 16 and now I’m 24… where did it all go?

Sarina @ Earthgiven Kitchen May 20, 2013

Happy happy birthday, Angela! You have accomplished so much by 30! Cheers to your next adventures.

Amber K May 20, 2013

I definitely feel young until I meet someone young, ha! I turned 30 on the twelfth and was carded today. I handed it over and then joked “oh wait, no because then you’ll see my birthday! I wasn’t really ready to turn 30.” The guy said “Oh I know!” And then paused before adding “I mean, I still have two years to go but I’m already freaking out.”

WHAT?!

Kids these days… ;)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen May 20, 2013

Happy belated, Angela! We went to Niagara Falls for my 30th last year too, but the weather was far from hot & sunny in April unfortunately. Still a good time :)

Sonia the Mexigarian May 20, 2013

hope you had a lovely birthday Angela!

Amy May 20, 2013

Angela!
I love you and you are so inspiring! Just turned 32 and definitely feeling similar to you. Keep on making awesome recipes. I cannot wait for your book!
Happy Birthday!

Holly May 20, 2013

Happy Birthday!! Thank you for your wonderful recipes!

Rajvinder Kaur May 20, 2013

A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY Angela!!!!!! It sounds like you had a great day! I will be turning 30 this year too. Yaaaaay!!!! I always say that age is nothing but a number. It’s how old you feel on the inside that matters. :)

Leia May 20, 2013

I turn 30 in July! Happy birthday to all of us leaving our 20s behind this year.

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} May 20, 2013

Happiest of Birthdays to you Angela! You have accomplished so much in your life already, it is incredible. I have to agree w/others who have said 30s are a good decade. I definitely agree!

christian May 20, 2013

That countdown made me miss Nick for real!

Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor May 20, 2013

Happy Birthday Angela!

Stephanie L May 20, 2013

I was SO excited to turn 30 because I look really young and I thought I might actually get treated like a grown up. LOL Now that I’m just a few months short of 40 it has other allures and I’m ready for 40. =D Happy Birthday a touch belated!! Thanks for the work you do getting vegan recipes out to the masses!

Stephanie L May 20, 2013

oh yah, and I agree about the itty bitty shorts and seriously? jeans. You could truly make a fortune. LOL

AdrienneCarolyn May 20, 2013

Happy Birthday! I just celebrated my 30th 2 weeks ago and I can say so far 30 has been great! It only gets better and better :-)

Katrin - therawfoodsisters.com May 20, 2013

What a great post to read! Love your texts you deserve the best of all. Happy birthday and keep inspiring and share your thoughts! Many hugs

Canadian girl May 20, 2013

You’ve done a tremendous amount in your life Angela. I turn 32 in August and I’m ashamed at how low my life has gotten and how little accomplished to be honest.

Anyway, I say too much :(

I live in Ontario and contemplating a move to Oakville for a while (looking at room rentals now, eek). I would love to ask you about therapy..specificially a couple of therapists I have found via search at the Therapy Center in Oakville. I know your therapy experience was positive,and would SO appreciate your feedback. Not sure if move to Oakville for a bit might help out with that. Thks. either way. You are an inspiration.

Jo

Katie May 20, 2013

Happy Birthday Angela!

So your recipes are wonderful and I know your book will be a HUGE success, but you might be in the wrong field. A clothing line of not-so-short shortz and runner’s legz jeans could make you millions!

Ramona May 20, 2013

I don’t know when your birthday was exactly but Happy Birthday from the Netherlands! (Am also turning 30 in a couple of months… I am prepared now!)
I just turned vegan after being a vegeterian for almost 18 years, and your blog really helps me out a lot! Thank you for your wonderful recipes and you truly inspire me.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2013

Aw thank you – congrats on going vegan! 18 years as a veg is a huge accomplishment!

Dutchgirlsam May 20, 2013