Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

hasselback apple 7484 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

Once upon a time there was a girl who liked to eat.

This girl loves potatoes, especially Hasselback potatoes. One day last fall, she got an idea to make Hasselback baked apples.

She had a feeling this would be the Greatest Dessert She’d Ever Made.

hasselback apple 7488 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

So she grabbed a couple apples, sharpened her knives, and got to work tediously slicing the apples, row by row.

Her husband looked on, skeptical.

You’ll see, she said. And then you’ll be sorry when I don’t give you any.

hasselback apple 7492 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

I’m sure I will.

After a few four letter words and near finger removals, she dusted herself off and stuffed the apples with sugar and cinnamon.

This was not fun, not fun at all.

hasselback apple 7495 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

She carefully placed the apples in the oven and waited ever so patiently for the timer to beep.

Beep!! BEEP! BEEP!!!!

hasselback baked apples 1392 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

Your apples are dead.

Beep indeed.

Not one to be easily defeated, she tested a couple different kinds of apples. The apples were very hit and miss, but most importantly, they did no justice to these wonderful apples at the peak of their lives. Especially this one that she stuffed with phyllo dough. Her vision was Hasselback apple pie, but the outcome was a half cooked apple stuffed with soggy plastic sheets.

hasselback apple 7497 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

It’s best we pretend this never happened.

It’s torture that I can’t have any of those; I just love apple pie, her husband smirked.

Grrrr.

Thankfully, this girl has rid herself of any desire to make Hasselback Apples in the future. She can now be found enjoying raw apples straight from the fridge.

Also, Hasselback potatoes straight from the oven.

hasselback potatoes 1405 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

Hasselback Potatoes

Email, text, or print this recipe

Ingredients:

• Russet (baking) potatoes or Yukon Gold (or whichever type you desire)
  • Garlic cloves, thinly sliced into rounds (1 clove per potato)
  • High heat safe cooking oil, for drizzling
  • Herbamare or fine grain sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425F.

2. Wash potatoes and pat dry.

3. Thinly slice the potatoes, but don’t slice all the way through. I leave about 1-2cm or so at the bottoms un-cut.

4. Grab your thinly sliced garlic and stuff each slice with a small piece of garlic. I used 1 clove per potato. Stuffing with garlic helps expand the potato allowing the oil to drizzle right in.

5. Drizzle all over with oil. Sprinkle generously with Herbamare (or fine grain sea salt) and freshly ground black pepper.

6. Bake at 425F for 50-70 minutes until tender, depending on the size of your potato. My Russets took about 70 minutes. When I use Yukon Gold, they only take about 50 minutes. Keep an eye on them, time will vary.

7. Serve with any desired topping you wish – pesto, salsa, vegan sour cream, hummus, ketchup, or simply enjoy with a pat of non-dairy butter.

hasselback potatoes 1403 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

corinne January 28, 2013

Perhaps that it basically has “hassle” in the name should have been a hint!

Shundara@ SavyNaturalista January 28, 2013

Oh Gosh for me to try to do this would take forever; hassleback apples made into apple pie look wonderful I wonder was it as yummy as it looks. The potato may have won but the apples look better :)

Tanya @ playful and hungry January 29, 2013

Maybe one should just enjoy a raw hassleback apple! Just with cinnamon and sugar! Or maybe stuffed with some peanut butter….

Wynne January 28, 2013

Awww, I wish the apples had worked out. At least they produced some lovely pictures. I’m excited to try your potato recipe–I’ve made these before, but never with garlic slivers, which sound wonderful.

Emily Laliberte January 28, 2013

Ha Ha, I love posts like these…makes the rest of us realize we are not the only ones that have recipe Mishaps!

Stephany January 28, 2013

All I have to say is “OMG, yummy!”

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 28, 2013

I’m pretty sure I’d lose at least one finger trying to make either of these recipes Ange! Both sound very tasty though! And this is totally random, but every time I see the word Hasselback I think of Hasselhoff. I’d rather have potatoes and apples though!

Niki January 28, 2013

For those worried about losing a finger…the easiest way to get consistent depth to your cuts is to place a chopstick on each side of the potato. Your knife will stop at the same depth each cut (read that online…sounded genius).
Obviously you do not have chopsticks the theory could carry over to anything hard and relatively thin.

Geosomin January 28, 2013

For some reason this made me think of is the Henderson Hasselbach equation. But then I’m a labrat. What, you mean you didn’t think of pH equilibration too? :)
I love baked apples, so I’m gonna try the apples out for dessert tonight. Yum. Look amazing.

Stockholm Expat January 28, 2013

I had never even heard of hasselback potatoes until I moved to Sweden and my Swede made them for me. It’s one of his specialites. Yum.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 28, 2013

Haha – I love the apple story. I can imagine that would be a challenge! I made a hasselbaclk rutabega once. It was awesome but took FOREVER to cook. I should try it again with a smaller one…

Herbivore Triathlete January 28, 2013

Funny story, it’s great to see bloggers admit that they sometimes “fail” in the kitchen as well, makes me feel like there’s a human behind the screen.

Hasselback reminds me of Hasselhoff too! And the holla back song.

Never had hasselback potatoes, they look like a great new way for me to eat taters!

The hasselback apple pie sounds like a great concept, too bad it didn’t quite work out!

Melissa January 28, 2013

Oh wow, that is a great idea! Too bad it didn’t work out like you hoped, but thanks for sharing anyway. Even things that don’t ‘work’ as we plan can be an inspiration to others.

Christine @ Shot Bun January 28, 2013

The best recipes are always the result of many many kitchen failures. Even if the apples didn’t turn out this time, the pictures are gorgeous!

Jamie January 28, 2013

Hasselback sweet potatoes could also be super yummy! Or maybe alternating apple, potato slices?

j dahlberg January 28, 2013

Beep indeed!……..I laughed my butt off reading your quaint fairytale reality. I am finding out that a good laugh can cleanse the body just as well as healthful food. Thanks for that! On a side note….I have lost 6 pounds in three weeks just by changing my eating habits to embrace mostly plants and grains. No other changes to my exercise was made. To everyone out there making an effort to break unhealthy habits and try new ones; it works! AND you feel better! There is a reason why all the pictures of the women who comment on this blog look beautiful and vibrant and strong……they are eating the right things to fuel their bodies……..and they are an inspiration to me. God bless.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 28, 2013

hah :) Glad you enjoyed it.
Congrats on all your positive changes!!

a farmer in the dell January 28, 2013

Haha! I love a good kitchen disaster story. Potatoes to the rescue!

Lisa@Pocketfuls January 28, 2013

I really loved this post! The line about your apples being dead made me laugh right out loud. I think it’s great when well-known food bloggers share a failed attempt at something — it helps all of us to feel better about our own kitchen mishaps. The Hasselback potatoes look delicious, and I somehow think you’ll still find a way to make those gorgeous looking baked apples work, too. :)

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} January 28, 2013

Well, Hasselback apples are a FABULOUS idea – I’m so sorry they didn’t work out! I’ve never tried Hasselback potatoes actually, they will have to be on the menu sometime soon. Thanks for sharing your creativity!

Kelli January 28, 2013

Bahaahaha, your story just made me laugh out loud at work. Oops. The potatoes look delicious… must buy better knives and then give this a try!

The Cookie Fairy January 28, 2013

Ha! Wonderful story, it made me laugh! Nice idea, though, shame it didn’t work.

I’ve never had Hassleback Potatoes, it sounds lovely. Must try it and wow my boyfriend sometime.

Bigii January 28, 2013

Have you ever tried “Bratäpfel”? It’s oven baked apples stuffed with cinamon, nuts and jam. I wrap them in foil, they are done faster and keep nice and juicy. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 28, 2013

No I haven’t but that sounds delicious! I love baked apples, but I’ve never stuffed them with jam & nuts before

Averie @ Averie Cooks January 28, 2013

The apple LOOKS good. Sorry the results were less than stellar. Ugh. Such high hopes, too! At least the potato worked but I would love to try an apple like this…it just looks so fancy and good and like it would be so delish. Guess not though!

Sarah @ Yogi in Action January 28, 2013

Aww- I’m sorry to hear your hasselback apples didn’t work out. But the pictures look delicious.

And those potatoes look great! Definitely will be making those

Danielle January 28, 2013

I got curious and googled. You’ve probably seen this:

Not quite right, but it is something!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 28, 2013

ah that’s cool!!

Lisa January 28, 2013

The idea behind the apples is great! But the potatoes look absolutely delicious and so versatile (different spices/herbs etc..) will be trying these to be sure!

Alexis January 28, 2013

I need to make this, looks yummy!

Danielle @ Two Love Birds January 28, 2013

I was sooooo excited about the apples! That’s a bummer. I’ve been meaning to try these potatoes since everyone is in love with them and I haven’t yet. I think I’ll be making them instead of a regular baked potato this week!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health January 28, 2013

I have never heard of these before but they sound good! Can I come over and eat one? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 28, 2013

you sure can. however you’ll have to beat my husband to the leftover which always proves to be difficult… :)

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan January 28, 2013

I got so excited to see the apples, but sad too see they didn’t work out! But those potatoes, woo they look so good!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! January 28, 2013

I’ve never even heard of hasselback potatoes! They look delicious though! I’ll have to try this recipe!

kim@hungryhealthygirl January 28, 2013

Awwww…..but the apples looked so good….

Allison January 28, 2013

Too bad those apples didn’t work out, because they look ridiculously good!

Holli January 28, 2013

That is hilarious! You are so inspiring that despite this mishap, I am now wondering if it’s possible. I will let you know what happens if I try to pick up where you left off:) I love the potatoes!

Andrea January 28, 2013

Bless your efforts with the apples… and thank you for the recipe with potatoes instead. Looks absolutely deeeee-vine!!! :)

–Andrea
XOXOXO

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh January 28, 2013

Is it weird that your apple attempt makes me want to try them anyway? I think I’m just a stubborn wench like that! I’d say it’d be a pretty delicious “fail.”

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 28, 2013

Not weird at all…I still find myself thinking of a good way to make them! we can both be suckers for punishment I guess.

Shobhz January 28, 2013

Hi Angela,

What a lovely lovely story and what a patient husband you have!!! I loved the idea of stuffing the potatoes with garlic slivers. What a great idea! Amazing clicks of the baked potatoe.
My sister loves your blog and she is seriously inspired by your blog to go the vegan way!

Shobha

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Sarah January 28, 2013

I tried your (less-intimidating-looking!) creamy tomato risotto and BBQ tofu this weekend to rave reviews from my pre-schooler. Thank you!

sheila January 28, 2013

awesome photos as always! the potato looks delicious

allison January 28, 2013

Putting a tablespoon underneath the potato stops the knife and no finger loss :-)

Vicki January 28, 2013

What kind of oils are high heat safe?

Page 1 of 212»